of 6

2009-02-04 9:15 PM
in reply to: #1944696

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Subject: RE: using a heart rate monitor
Jeremy
I am interested in the alternative LTHR testing method. I do plan to retest, but probably not until I can consistently run outside again - early April. I'd appreciate any help you are willing to provide analyzing the data and using it to guide my training.
Mark

2009-02-07 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1858810

User image

Milton, GA
Subject: RE: jsipos group is Closed

I feel like I am back from the dead or at least from the hibernating.  I focused on work and nothing else during January...well except maybe eating!  I need to pick my races for the year so I can create a plan because right now, I feel adrift.  Anyone else feeling this way?  I joined a local traithlon group on Thursday to jumpstart the year. By next weekend, I want to nail down the triathlons.

One question:  has anyone ever done cycling time trials?  I am toying with the idea of doing one March 7 in Adairville GA but I am a very new cyclist and am not sure if the environment of the TT is suitable for a newer rider.  My goal is to use the race to push me in training...my biking lately has been limited to spinning since I am a wuss about cold weather

2009-02-09 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1950452

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
purdue92 - 2009-02-07 11:54 AM

I feel like I am back from the dead or at least from the hibernating.  I focused on work and nothing else during January...well except maybe eating!  I need to pick my races for the year so I can create a plan because right now, I feel adrift.  Anyone else feeling this way?  I joined a local traithlon group on Thursday to jumpstart the year. By next weekend, I want to nail down the triathlons.

One question:  has anyone ever done cycling time trials?  I am toying with the idea of doing one March 7 in Adairville GA but I am a very new cyclist and am not sure if the environment of the TT is suitable for a newer rider.  My goal is to use the race to push me in training...my biking lately has been limited to spinning since I am a wuss about cold weather

Hey good to have you back. Yes picking some races will definitely get you started in the right direction. It's nice to have some goal races that you are working towards. If you have any questions about any of the local tris let me know. I've probably done most of them.

Yeah you'd be fine doing that TT. IT's definitely more beginner friendly than doing a criterium or road race. Just make sure to look at the race info about any special rules etc. for the event. If it's a USCF event then there are some rules that may be a little different than USAT rules etc. For instance in USCF races you have to have sleeves on your jersey.
2009-02-10 11:01 AM

User image

Milton, GA

Have you done IronGirl and Acworth Women's Tri?  Just kidding.  I am thinking of:

IronGirl Atlanta - Sprint- June 28
Chattanooga Waterfront - Olympic - July 12  with North Atlanta Multisport Club
Acworth Women's Tri - Sprint - August 9
Tri2Remember - Sprint - September 19

Might add one more...Tri the Parks in Jackson on June 6 or something else in May? 

My main reason for putting Tri2remember on calendar is that it was my first and only tri so far and it would be nice to compare times.  Otherwise, I would do Emerald Point

2009-02-10 6:39 PM
in reply to: #1941704

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey guys! Sorry about my absence! I had a trip for work and have just been trying to catch up on life since then.....

Jeremy, question for you... What kind of wonderful job do you have that allows you morning and then lengthy (3 to 4 hours?) ones again in the afternoon? I am trying to pick out my next career... haha

Also, I was talking about rollers as in the kind you fall off your bike from.

Hope everyone else is doing well! Question for purdue.. what is the adairville tt you are talking about

2009-02-11 6:33 AM

User image

Milton, GA

Here is a link to the time trial I referenced:

http://www.georgiacup.com/races.php?series=tt&id=10

2009-02-11 7:29 AM
in reply to: #1955625

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
ATLrunr - 2009-02-10 7:39 PM

Hey guys! Sorry about my absence! I had a trip for work and have just been trying to catch up on life since then.....

Jeremy, question for you... What kind of wonderful job do you have that allows you morning and then lengthy (3 to 4 hours?) ones again in the afternoon? I am trying to pick out my next career... haha

Also, I was talking about rollers as in the kind you fall off your bike from.

Hope everyone else is doing well! Question for purdue.. what is the adairville tt you are talking about

Hey well unfortunately, I can't say that it's b/c I'm independently wealthy. I work as a product development engineer for a medical device company. So I can flex my schedule and usually work 7-4, so that I can get up really really early and swim and then have plenty of time to workout after work too. They key to fitting it all in is planning ahead and finding places to train that are convenient to get to.

With the rollers, obviously there's a big learning curve to using them. It's not something I'd recommend for a triathlete to learn to use. If you need to ride indoors you'd be better off getting a good trainer (cycleops fluid, etc.). Do you already have the rollers? If so, then by all means use them but you'd be better off riding your bike MORE instead of spending a lot of time trying not to kill yourself learning to use them.

2009-02-17 10:23 AM

User image

Milton, GA

I had to turn in a goal sheet for my Tri Masters Swim program.  Goals:

Decrease 100 time-first to under 3, then work toward 15 second decreases with a target of 2:15
Reduce stroke count to 20 in 25 yard pool
Improve stroke technique (Masters coach provides feedback here)
Learn other strokes

I forgot to write down "SHOW UP"...I want be in the class no less than 2x per week.

After I turned that in this a.m., I went out and had a horrible workout...just could not keep up with 3 of my 4 lane mates.  But at least I was pushed.

2009-02-17 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1966171

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
purdue92 - 2009-02-17 10:23 AM

Decrease 100 time-first to under 3, then work toward 15 second decreases with a target of 2:15
Learn other strokes

I forgot to write down "SHOW UP"...I want be in the class no less than 2x per week.

After I turned that in this a.m., I went out and had a horrible workout...just could not keep up with 3 of my 4 lane mates.  But at least I was pushed.

Nice job Purdue, those seem like well thought out, achievable goals. One thing I learned last year that really helped me with my swimming was to improve my form first before working on getting faster. In fact, you should see improvement in speed from improved form. Sort of like with golf, you want to learn to hit the ball straight first (form) before trying to hit it far and straight.

Good luck with those goals. Mark
2009-02-17 1:37 PM

User image

Milton, GA

Thanks for the feedback Mark.  I will keep in the forefront that techinique is number 1.

I just started swimming in July and added this program in November.  With the coach's help, I've seen a lot of improvement.  I love being a part of the program because I'm held accountable and pushed to improve. 

Of course, I want it ALL NOW.  Watching others, I sometimes wonder why I am not where they are yet and forget that I may be watching someone with years of experience not months!

2009-02-18 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1954571

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
purdue92 - 2009-02-10 12:01 PM

Have you done IronGirl and Acworth Women's Tri?  Just kidding.  I am thinking of:

IronGirl Atlanta - Sprint- June 28
Chattanooga Waterfront - Olympic - July 12  with North Atlanta Multisport Club
Acworth Women's Tri - Sprint - August 9
Tri2Remember - Sprint - September 19

Might add one more...Tri the Parks in Jackson on June 6 or something else in May? 

My main reason for putting Tri2remember on calendar is that it was my first and only tri so far and it would be nice to compare times.  Otherwise, I would do Emerald Point

Hey I just realized that I haven't responded to this yet? Nope haven't done Irongirl or Acworth but my wife has and I've been to both of them. Both are good races. Ga Multisports really does a good job on these races and they have a really good spread at both. Acworth is a point to point race so spectating can be kinda crazy.

There's a women only tri-the parks at Indian Springs which would be a good one too. I've done the Co-Ed race at Indian Springs many times (including last year) and it's one of my favorite tri the parks races.

Chattanooga is also a good race. The swim is down the river so if there's a strong current you get a nice bonus.

Oh one more thing Irongirl and Emerald Point are essentially on the same race course.

2009-02-18 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1966171

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
purdue92 - 2009-02-17 11:23 AM

Learn other strokes

Those are some great goals. Like Mark said Focusing on Technique is really important for you and if you "show up" to swim practice you shouldn't have a problem meeting your goals. Let us know how your swim progress is going.

What Masters swim program are you going to?
2009-02-18 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1968527

User image

Milton, GA
I am swimming at the Concourse with the 5:45 am group coached by Pete Farren.  Other than the time, I enjoy it.
2009-02-20 11:08 AM
in reply to: #1969696

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
purdue92 - 2009-02-18 9:40 PM

I am swimming at the Concourse with the 5:45 am group coached by Pete Farren.  Other than the time, I enjoy it.

Oh cool. My wife used to swim there years ago. I have some friends that swim there too. Stick with it and you'll do great.
2009-02-20 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1955625

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hey Bethany, how's the prep for the marathon going. The race is coming up SOON.
2009-02-21 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey! I know... I can't believe the marathon is next week. I have been tapering and it sucks! I feel slow and lazy and grouchy, until today at least.

Today I swam 1800 yards straight and this is a big deal for me bc the previous distance I had swam wo stopping was like 400  yards! Then I ran 10 miles at marathon pace and it felt "easy" compared to how it used to feel. I can't remember if you said you had run marathons  before? Any advice for the last week of tapering?

How is the training for NO going? Do you have a goal

Purdue your swim class sounds interesting. I am possibly looking for a place to swim in the mornings as the thought of swimming at gc makes me realize I need to get it together. Can anyone come, how much/when is it etc?

2009-02-23 7:29 AM
in reply to: #1974945

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
ATLrunr - 2009-02-21 5:34 PM

Hey! I know... I can't believe the marathon is next week. I have been tapering and it sucks! I feel slow and lazy and grouchy, until today at least.

Today I swam 1800 yards straight and this is a big deal for me bc the previous distance I had swam wo stopping was like 400  yards! Then I ran 10 miles at marathon pace and it felt "easy" compared to how it used to feel. I can't remember if you said you had run marathons  before? Any advice for the last week of tapering?

How is the training for NO going? Do you have a goal

Purdue your swim class sounds interesting. I am possibly looking for a place to swim in the mornings as the thought of swimming at gc makes me realize I need to get it together. Can anyone come, how much/when is it etc?

Oh the joys of the taper. I can tell you that feeling like crap during the taper is normal. I know that the worse I feel during the taper the readier I am for the race. So don't worry if you feel a little "off" this week. Just make sure you are warmed up before doing any faster intervals. A few things to consider during your taper are: don't decrease your workout frequency. You should decrease the lengths of your workouts. Make sure to get some short faster run intervals in this week with a lot of rest between.

Training for New Orleans is going pretty good. Well my goal this year is to qualify to get my pro-card. But I haven't decided if I'm 100% gonna race as a pro this year or not. It really depends on how much I improve in the swim. So I'd like to finish Top 3OA amateur at New Orleans.

As far as a masters swim program, one of the better options is near vinings/buckhead at Westminster School. They have a great group that swims there and it's one of the best values in the area. My wife has been a member there for years.

Congrats on the 1800yd swim. One thing to consider for GC is a wetsuit. I think it's been wetsuit legal almost every year. A wetsuit will make swimming a LOT easier for you.
2009-02-23 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wow, qualify to get your pro card! That is very exciting!! So once you qualify I guess you have to decide whether you are in or out for the year, is that how it works?

Its funny I had actually heard from someone else recently about the group at Westminister and I am thinking about checking it out. That would be very convenient!

With regards to tapering, is it still good you think to do a few easy swims and maybe a spin class? I can't imagine Just doing the shortened runs and thats it. The amount of cutting back I did last week felt like a ton already?

2009-02-23 12:34 PM

User image

Milton, GA

ATL Runr The cost for the Concourse is $70 a month for the Masters Swim Only. Class is from 5:45-7, although many come earlier. It's perfect for me because I work at 400 & Abernathy

2009-02-23 2:39 PM
in reply to: #1977098

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
ATLrunr - 2009-02-23 11:30 AM

Wow, qualify to get your pro card! That is very exciting!! So once you qualify I guess you have to decide whether you are in or out for the year, is that how it works?

Its funny I had actually heard from someone else recently about the group at Westminister and I am thinking about checking it out. That would be very convenient!

With regards to tapering, is it still good you think to do a few easy swims and maybe a spin class? I can't imagine Just doing the shortened runs and thats it. The amount of cutting back I did last week felt like a ton already?

Well by getting a pro-card I can still do any of the local races etc. that don't have pro waves but the one benefit is that you get to race up front in the bigger races. One disadvantage for me in Age group racing is that there tends to be a lot of drafting on the bike in some of the bigger races. Being a somewhat strong cyclist that kinda hurts me a lot (as I don't draft).

The Westminster Masters is one of the best deals around. Chamblee Dynamo is also good but it's a lot more expensive.

Yeah, you should try to keep your workout frequency the same/similar to what you have been doing and that can include some EASY swims and bikes.
2009-02-26 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Subject: running cadence
Jeremy
Is there an optimal range for running cadence? I think I read something about 90 foot strikes per minute. I think I read that is also a recommended cadence/rpm for biking. If so, would you recommend using a tempo trainer to assist with this?
You have also mentioned "minimizing the time your foot is in contact with the ground (i.e. think about running on hot coals)." Is this something you just try to pay attention to when you are running, or are there drills you use? I know there are other experienced runners in the group, what are your thoughts?
Thanks, Mark

2009-03-02 7:22 AM
in reply to: #1984627

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: running cadence
TriD64 - 2009-02-26 8:57 PM

Jeremy
Is there an optimal range for running cadence? I think I read something about 90 foot strikes per minute. I think I read that is also a recommended cadence/rpm for biking. If so, would you recommend using a tempo trainer to assist with this?
You have also mentioned "minimizing the time your foot is in contact with the ground (i.e. think about running on hot coals)." Is this something you just try to pay attention to when you are running, or are there drills you use? I know there are other experienced runners in the group, what are your thoughts?
Thanks, Mark

Those are some good questions. Yes 90 foot strikes per minute is a good target for running. Using a tempo trainer/metronome might help. Once you get the feeling of 90 you shouldn't have to use the tempo trainer.

As for biking, I would recommend not listening to people when they say that you should bike at a particular rpm. A lot of people incorrectly think that biking at 90-100rpm is most efficient because they have heard that's what Lance Armstrong does. A lot of the top time trialists and triathletes in the world bike probably closer to 80rpm. I recommend that people find out what works best for them as far as cadence on the bike.

There are a few things you should think about when running including relaxing the shoulders, cadence, minimizing foot contact time. I think the best "drill" for running is doing "strides" at the end of your runs. Strides are a great way to get some faster running in without too much stress and give you a chance to really concentrate on running fast with good form.
2009-03-02 6:02 PM
in reply to: #1990925

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Thanks for your response Jeremy. Can you explain what "strides" are?
Mark
2009-03-03 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1992601

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Jeremy
Never mind on describing 'strides'. After I posted that question I remembered there is a video tutorial on the BT site on this. Here's the link for others who may be interested: www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1355
Mark
2009-03-04 6:41 AM
in reply to: #1995079

User image

Regular
Alpharetta, GA
Hey Mark I haven't seen the video on BT but here's the description of "strides" that I send the athletes I coach:

Short, submaximal sprints of around 15-20 seconds at 5k to 3k pace, with the goal being to run as relaxed as possible, with full recovery (ie, walking rest), at the END of a run. They aren't intervals, don't time them or track their progress or chart them or get competitive with someone else about who does them faster. Do these on a relatively flat surface not on a hill.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsipos group is Closed Rss Feed  

of 6