BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-01-29 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2580219

Subject: RE: PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED
carol5133 - Carol- Good luck to you!

2010-01-29 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2641688

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
carol5133 - 2010-01-29 2:54 AM Hi Girls....just stopping in to say hi! I'm going to try my first triathalon this Saturday and I'm a bit nervous, but very excited. The local university is hosting a 4-race indoor triathalon series this winter/spring that I've decided to complete. Having a race in mind is always a motivator for me, so signing up for the series commits me to training for the next 3 races...woohoo!  Between being sick and being a slacker, I've not been training very much, so my goal is just to finish. I'll check in after the race to let you know how it went.

Oh my gosh Carol, I'm so excited for you! There's nothing like your first triathlon. Take it all in and enjoy the day.

I do the transition clinics for my tri club, and I put together a detailed info sheet on transitions: http://www.tucsontrigirls.org/TTG_transition_clinic.pdf

Hopefully some of the info will help.

Good luck, and I can't wait to hear how it goes! We will all be virtually cheering for you over the internet. Definitely check in and let us know how it goes as we'll be waiting to hear all the details.
2010-01-29 3:21 PM

good luck and have a blast Carol. 
2010-01-30 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the encouragement! I finished and had a blast. I was the only woman who showed up to compete...so I even got first place!

One cool thing was that the race was sponsered by the University aquatics department, so I even got some swim coaching from a pro at the end of the race. I am glad for the pointers and now have a few things to focus on as I train in the pool.
2010-01-31 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2644377

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
carol5133 - 2010-01-30 10:27 AM Thanks for all the encouragement! I finished and had a blast. I was the only woman who showed up to compete...so I even got first place!

One cool thing was that the race was sponsered by the University aquatics department, so I even got some swim coaching from a pro at the end of the race. I am glad for the pointers and now have a few things to focus on as I train in the pool.

Congratulations! That is awesome! Sounds like it was a wonderful time and I'm glad you'll be going back to do the series.
2010-02-01 4:51 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Hi ladies! Welcome to February and a brand new month of training! You'll notice your BT log will flip the calendar and you'll have new training totals for the month of February, and January's totals are locked in. Anyone have a goal to beat January's training totals? I know I do.

And the January Queen Peach was swgraham! She logged everyday in January. Congrats girl!

2010-02-01 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2648456

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
PirateGirl - 2010-02-01 2:51 PM Hi ladies! Welcome to February and a brand new month of training! You'll notice your BT log will flip the calendar and you'll have new training totals for the month of February, and January's totals are locked in. Anyone have a goal to beat January's training totals? I know I do.

And the January Queen Peach was swgraham! She logged everyday in January. Congrats girl!

WOW, that's awesome. Thanks!
2010-02-03 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
Congratulations Carol! Laughing
2010-02-05 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2652560

I would just like to say I hate this time of year.  I feel like I have been trapped indoors for months (I have.)  I am sick and tired of running and riding indoors.  And now I have a cold turned into a sinus infection.  I had the same thing this time last year and it took me 3 weeks to get back to normal. I t totally derailed all of my efforts.  I have been off for three days and I am going crazy.  I want to move somewhere warm.   Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.  Hopefully you are all having better weeks!
2010-02-05 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2656520

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Nimue - 2010-02-05 6:03 AM I want to move somewhere warm.   Sorry !

It is sunny and 50 today here (Portland OR). It rains a lot in the winter, but most of the time it is just a light mist. So if you don't mind getting a little wet when you ride, it's a great place.

2010-02-05 7:33 PM
in reply to: #2656520

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Nimue - 2010-02-05 7:03 AM I would just like to say I hate this time of year.  I feel like I have been trapped indoors for months (I have.)  I am sick and tired of running and riding indoors.  And now I have a cold turned into a sinus infection.  I had the same thing this time last year and it took me 3 weeks to get back to normal. I t totally derailed all of my efforts.  I have been off for three days and I am going crazy.  I want to move somewhere warm.   Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.  Hopefully you are all having better weeks!

I'm sorry. I hope you start to feel better soon!

2010-02-05 9:59 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Tomorrow I'll be walking with my mom in her very first event. She is working on weightloss and did good with the diet, but hit a plateau. I told her that exercise is the other half of the equation. So she has been working on the walking on her treadmill everyday. She wanted to do a walking event with me, and I found a local one just up the street that is 2 miles long. We went and got her real shoes (footstrike analysis and all that fun stuff) and thankfully she loves them so she will use them. I told her I'd register for the event and walk with her the entire time. It works out well because on Sunday is a tough trail run that I'm registered for , so the walk on Saturday will be good before Sunday's race. I'm going to take pics and hopefully my mom will enjoy it and want to keep up with the walking so that she can go further.
2010-02-06 7:36 PM

User image

Twin Falls, ID (not from here, I just live here)
Hello all! I disappeared for the last few weeks, but am back! It's been a little rough, but I've been getting 5-6 workouts in a week, a lot more running than anything else which is actually good because that's my weak point. I can sympathize with those talking about the winter icks-- I am not (yet) sick, but the bleak skies have hit me and I'm just constantly tired! Even if I know I could get to the gym physically, my brain tells me I need to take a nap. I'm thinking part of this could be that I've really cut my calories back, and might need to add some additional protein back in.

I hope everyone is off to a great February!
2010-02-08 10:06 AM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Congrats to trainforacure (Carol) who finished a 600km cycling tour of Puerto Rico this past weekend! Awesome job girl, and we can't wait to hear how it went! Hope there are lots of pics.
2010-02-09 10:11 AM

Congrats Carol !!! 600 miles is quite an accomplishment. 
2010-02-09 10:14 AM

Elaine:   your mother/ daughter race report was great.  It looked like a fun time for everyone.

2010-02-09 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
WTH? This isn't coral. It's corn!
THANK YOU all! It was an awesome experience! My mileage came up a bit short (336) of the target (375) 'cause I rode the Van of Shame (i.e. sweepers) 3 times--hahaha! I plan to write the "race" report for my TNT blog in the coming days.  I'll also post picts--albeit I didn't take that many 'cause I was always focusing on catching the peloton--Laughing 

I'm chilling and recovering in a beautiful, paradise island called Culebra close to Puerto Rico.  My sister lives here.  It's rough. Right now it's about low 80's, sunny and I'm staring at the beautiful turquoise waters of the Caribbean sea! It's the view from my sis' house.  Like I said, she's got it rough--hahaha!  My beehind is ready to sue my saddle; so, I'm staying off the bike for 4 days.  I should have spent the 200 bucks on the Sella Anatomica the ride's organizer strongly recommended!!  I plan to do a lot of walking along the beach as "exercise."  I plan to return to the bike on Friday.  Then, next week when I return to the freezing, buried-in-snow Midwest, I'll start the TNT training for Steelhead. Smile
2010-02-09 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Hillsboro, OR
Hey everyone. Hope you all had a good weekend. Today is the start of mine. It was a rough week(end) at work and my back has been bothering me, so I did some yoga and lots of stretching the past few days. I hope to be able to get in a good ride today since the sun is out (which means no rain!!)

Monday was an absolutely horrible day at work. I think I burned the candle at both ends too much this week(end). I worked on Sat and then went the to the Pointing Dog Awards Banquet Sat night. Bodacious won first place in the Derby Division (2 years and younger) and Lindy (the hubby) won sportsman of the year award. Dragged myself out of bed on Sunday to go to work and then went to the EaT Oyster Bar to watch the Super Bowl. Had to leave at halftime as we got a call that Boudreaux (one of our foster dogs) had jumped the fence and was running around the neighborhood. So went and collected him and finished watching the game at home. REALLY had to drag myself out of bed on Monday to go to work as I have not been sleeping well due to the back pain. Came home from work and found Boudreaux gone again. One of the neighbors had him. The 5 foot fence around the back yard is obviously not high enough for him.

So today Boudreaux is an inside dog until I can figure out how to keep him from going over the fence.  Yell

Bodacious on point:                     Boudreaux the escape artist:
BoudreauxBoudreaux

Edited by swgraham 2010-02-09 1:45 PM
2010-02-09 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2663303

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
trainforacure - 2010-02-09 9:37 AM
I'm chilling and recovering in a beautiful, paradise island called Culebra close to Puerto Rico.  My sister lives here.  It's rough. Right now it's about low 80's, sunny and I'm staring at the beautiful turquoise waters of the Caribbean sea!

Nice! Sounds absoloutely wonderful. I can't wait for the race report and the pics! Enjoy the rest of your vacation!
2010-02-10 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2664398

Elaine-
Thanks for all of your advice.  I had my first Master's swimlast night.  It was fun and I found out I am not as a weak of a swimmer as I had thought.  I am not goin to jump into an open water swim but, my anxiety has been soothed a little regarding the swim.  I am going to the join the class and swim with them once a week.  
Thanks!

2010-02-10 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2663804

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
swgraham - 2010-02-09 12:27 PM Hey everyone. Hope you all had a good weekend. Today is the start of mine. It was a rough week(end) at work and my back has been bothering me, so I did some yoga and lots of stretching the past few days. I hope to be able to get in a good ride today since the sun is out (which means no rain!!)

I hope you are having a good weekend after your tough week. You should re-name the pup "Houdini".

2010-02-10 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2665829

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Nimue - 2010-02-10 10:39 AM Elaine-
Thanks for all of your advice.  I had my first Master's swimlast night.  It was fun and I found out I am not as a weak of a swimmer as I had thought.  I am not goin to jump into an open water swim but, my anxiety has been soothed a little regarding the swim.  I am going to the join the class and swim with them once a week.  
Thanks!

Yay! That will be great for your swimming, and I'm sure you'll see an improvement working out with the group. Welcome to Master's swimming!
2010-02-15 3:13 PM

Happy week all.  I have been struggling with a chest  cold and congestion for two weeks now.  I'm floundering a little exercise wise.  My goal is to get three runs and one swim in this week.  Yoga and a little fun too.  ( my gym finally is adding a Zumba class this week so I want to check that out.)  How are you all keeping motivated during the February blahs ??
2010-02-15 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2674026

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
SGeranium - 2010-02-15 2:13 PM Happy week all.  I have been struggling with a chest  cold and congestion for two weeks now.  I'm floundering a little exercise wise.  My goal is to get three runs and one swim in this week.  Yoga and a little fun too.  ( my gym finally is adding a Zumba class this week so I want to check that out.)  How are you all keeping motivated during the February blahs ??

Hey girl! Feel better soon! If you are feeling low-energy and run-down from the cold, be sure not to rush the workouts. Ya gotta get better!

When does the weather typically start to get better there? I think the Zumba sounds like a great idea to help keep motivated. I joined a class at work for core and it has been helping. I HATE doing core alone and tend to bail on the workouts, but now that I've been doing the 20 min class they have during lunch 2X per week, I've been sticking with it. So hopefully a regular class will be helpful for you too.
2010-02-15 7:05 PM

Uh, I had the sick in early Feb.  I have all the sympathy for you!

We had a heat wave today.  Sunny and 37, I got a 6 mile run in outside.  I forgot how hilly this place is.  I hurt!  But, it was nice to be outside. 

I also just made plans to go out and see my sister in Cali in April.  So looking forward to that helps!
Hope you are all getting through this crap of a month.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's "Let's Get Dirty!" Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7