BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jerryrika's "anything goes" group now - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2009-05-04 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2080346

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: jerryrika's "anything goes" group now - Closed
A new day has dawned, and I could still walk. The injured ankle held up really well, and for that I am pleased. I watched the news coverage of the event, and 25 people did not cross the finish line because they became so ill from dizziness, nausea, and severe headache. My place was 17,549th out of 44,490 people. That there is alot of friggin people. Everyone is telling me to have a good recovery, but exactly what is that? I mean according to my training plan, I am supposed to run 2 miles on Tues...is that wise, or do I wait?? I may not be able to run that far due to stiff and sore, but do I at least walk it?

Edited by ilucy2 2009-05-04 3:19 PM

2009-05-04 3:15 PM
in reply to: #2129202

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
I'd go ahead and do the 2 miles.  But DON'T push it hard at all.  Do a very easy 2 miles, sort of an active recovery.  Take your normal training pace and add :30/mile to it, or more if you need to.  It will help with the soreness and get you ready to start training hard again.
2009-05-04 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Lompoc, CA

great job to everyone who raced! 

Sadly I wasn't one of you.  I was supposed to race but due a series of unfortunately events that transpired - I didn't.  I'd explain but its a long story and its not that interesting.   For now this "newly minted 40 year old" will look ahead to the Trek Womens Duathlon at Disneyland on 6/14!

2009-05-05 12:49 PM

User image

New user

Omaha, NE, USA
Judy - Sorry you missed your race. Hope everything is okay.

Charlotte - Good luck with the bike. Your right it is probably a good thing it happened before your race.

Jeff - thanks for the story on the wet suit. It made me laugh. I guess mine is 3/2 mm or 3.2 mm or 1.5 mm. The suite says 3/2 so I am guessing it is 3.2 mm. But it should work. I am going to give it some test swims and see what happens.

Jennifer and Mike - you guys keep plugging away at the swim. It will come to you. Soon the craw will be as effortless as walking. (Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.)
2009-05-05 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2129303

User image

Veteran
matt_d - 2009-05-04 1:15 PM

I'd go ahead and do the 2 miles.  But DON'T push it hard at all.  Do a very easy 2 miles, sort of an active recovery.  Take your normal training pace and add :30/mile to it, or more if you need to.  It will help with the soreness and get you ready to start training hard again.

Hey thanks... I jogged the two miles, was able to add one full min to my race time. Legs protested at first, and the body said no WAY, but it got easier. It was slow, I even had time to play the air drums!
2009-05-05 6:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
good to hear lucy, I was in the same boat yesterday.  Legs were sore, but finally went for a run in the evening.  Legs protested for about a mile, then I felt pretty good.  No air drums for me thoughWink

2009-05-05 11:13 PM

User image

Here or there

Hi everyone!  I've been using my Garmin eTrex GPS for my runs and bikes to keep track of distance and time, but I don't have a heart monitor, no cadence data, and I have to carry the GPS (it's one of the handheld type), so I'm looking at getting a wrist style that has GPS, heart rate monitor, and cadence tracking capability.  Based on my research it looks like the clear winner is the Garmin Forerunner 305.  I see that Garmin is also about to release the 310 which is waterproof, so it could be used in the water too, but at twice the price of a 305 I'm not sure there's much to gain from using it in the water (although I guess it would work for the whole tri).  Seems like it would be a big help to have an audible alert to keep me in the target heart rate zone.  Looks like you can also overlay your route with the heart rate data, which seems like a pretty nifty thing to look at.  Any comments from anyone using heart rate monitors, pedometer vs gps, etc?

TIA!

2009-05-06 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2133037

User image

St. Petersburg
brockadoo - 2009-05-06 12:13 AM

Hi everyone!  I've been using my Garmin eTrex GPS for my runs and bikes to keep track of distance and time, but I don't have a heart monitor, no cadence data, and I have to carry the GPS (it's one of the handheld type), so I'm looking at getting a wrist style that has GPS, heart rate monitor, and cadence tracking capability.  Based on my research it looks like the clear winner is the Garmin Forerunner 305.  I see that Garmin is also about to release the 310 which is waterproof, so it could be used in the water too, but at twice the price of a 305 I'm not sure there's much to gain from using it in the water (although I guess it would work for the whole tri).  Seems like it would be a big help to have an audible alert to keep me in the target heart rate zone.  Looks like you can also overlay your route with the heart rate data, which seems like a pretty nifty thing to look at.  Any comments from anyone using heart rate monitors, pedometer vs gps, etc?

TIA!

I was looking at the same ones... my birthday is coming up and it was going to be my gift from my family. The reading that I've done, the good thing about it being waterproof is that you can wear it for a whole tri and even get an understanding of what your times are for the transitions. I'm worried about the 310 because of the size, I have a really small bone frame (the circumference of my wrist is < 6") so I'm worried about how big the 310 would be on my wrist. I was hoping to try one on before I made my final decision. I do really like the fact that it is waterproof, so I'm leaning heavily towards the 310.
2009-05-06 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2133422

User image

Regular
Marlboro, NJ
CharleyBeth - 2009-05-06 9:32 AM
brockadoo - 2009-05-06 12:13 AM

TIA!

I was looking at the same ones... my birthday is coming up and it was going to be my gift from my family. The reading that I've done, the good thing about it being waterproof is that you can wear it for a whole tri and even get an understanding of what your times are for the transitions. .

I have a Timex HR monitor watch ($89) that comes with a strap for your chest. I use it all the time at the gym, outdoor running and biking as have found it an invaluable tool during the training. It is waterproof, has an alarm if HR drops below intended target (also measures cal burned) and up to at least 25 splits (as have done that many in the pool). For the price I have been very satisfied with it as was not looking to spend a ton at this stage. For my bike, I have a Cateye monitor which tracks everything but rpm/cadence (bummed about that). I bought it last year before the whole tri bug hit...who knew! As for GPS, I usually map out my bike and road runs beforehand plus w/biking I have a map in my bag (all printed from the internet). I used to bike with a friend who used the gps on his iphone if he got lost.

The above works for me except my one concern is putting the HR strap on my chest during the tri. Doing a 5k run in 2 weeks so will see how it works then. I have heard fantastic things about the Garmin though. 

Either way I recommend something to track HR. Good Luck!
2009-05-06 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
if you can afford it go with the 310xt, if not the 305 is great.  I know several people with the 305, and they all love it.  I use the Forerunner 50 with HR/bike cadence/ foot pod, and for the money's it's been great.  I'd love to have the GPS to upload and study the info on routes, but I'm quite pleased with all the info I get from the 50, and the footpod is very accurate.  I also like getting my run cadence.  I can set HR zones, and I believe an audible alarm to let me know when I'm out of the zone I'm supposed to be training in, but I don't really use that feature yet.
2009-05-06 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2127388

User image

New user

Fort Wayne, IN

Mike,

I am far from an expert swimmer but these tips have really helped me.

1. Relax in the water. The more you tighten up the more your body shuts down.
2. Remember to exhale slowly. Don't hold your breath.
3. Work on bilateral breathing - breathing every 3 strokes - left, right, left, etc. However, if that causes stress (see #1), then breathe on one side.
4. Swim with a plan. Don't just show up and swim. If you need help with workouts, I have used this site (not sure if I can post this but here it goes) http://ruthkazez.com/50swimworkouts.html

5. I am a firm believer that swimming all strokes helps you become a stronger swimmer. Don't shy away from the other strokes.
6. Like in running, only increase your yards 10% each week. This will eliminate injuries.
7. Endurance comes from interval training. Example: Do Free 3x50 on 1:00, 4x100 on 2:00, 3x50 on :55. This really gets the heart rate up.
8. Do longer ladder sets to get a feel for higher yards. If you swim in a 25yd pool (1 length = 25yrds) swim 11 lengths, rest :10 sec, the swim 10 lengths, rest :10, swim 9 legths rest :10, etc down to 1 length. If you do this, you will have swum 1650 yds. Cool down with an easy 100 and you have your 1760 yds for a mile. Do this every other week during a workout to see how you are improving. Don't forget to track your start and finish time.
9. Try to swim 3x/week. 4x will make you even stronger.
10. Track your yds. You will be amazed how much you improve.

I hope this helps.

Judd

2009-05-06 7:37 PM

thanks for the encouragement about the swim guys. I have definately improved dramatically since I started. Considering I started at barely swimming that might not be saying much but I feel pretty good about the progress I'm making. I am hugely more comfortable in the water now and can stoke 3 strokes before a breath fairly comfortably. My only big hurdle now, except endurance, is finally getting to the point of being able to take a breath on one side properly and comfortably. You all would laugh if you saw how I breathe! BUT - I am making progress and I know myself in the water well enough by now to realize that no one can 'teach' that to me. I know what to do and how to do it, I just have to figure it out myself in how to get comfortable with it. 

I love the dory reference by the way!

I do sometimes envy all you people without little kids though! My training has to get squeezed in around my 3 little ones, their activities, their schooling (we homeschool), and did I mention I work part-time?! So I'm humming along as best I can but monday and yesterday I couldn't go to the gym cause my babes were sick. No go for the childcare room! Anyway, I love my life so I wouldn't have it any other way. But sometimes I wish I could just up and bike off at any time!

So my goals for my tri are just to finish with a respectable first-timers time.

Peace and health,
Jenn 
2009-05-06 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2135265

User image

New user

Fort Wayne, IN
Jenn,

I have seen a wide variety of breathing techniques and those who struggle seem to have one thing in common. They swim with their head lifted to high in the water. Most newbies have the water hit them in their forehead because they are looking to far down the pool. When your head is in this position it is very difficult to breath properly without lifting your head first. Plus, when your head is higher, your butt has no choice but to lower in the water, thus creating more drag. I would check your head position to improve your breathing.

Step 1. To do this, just lay face first in the water and just float. Get used to how your head and neck and back align. If you struggle floating, work on it. The key to fast swimming is getting used to the feel of the water with your whole body. Many elite swim clubs spend time floating (even Michael Phelps' team).

Step 2. Once you think you have your head in proper position, take a kick board and kick 25s with face straight in the water as if you were floating. Get used to how the water goes over your head, neck and back.  When you are kicking and need to breathe, take your breath side arm and make a stroke. When your arm moves past your body, be sure to turn your hips. If you turn your hips, your shoulders will follow. If your shoulders turn, all you have to do is slightly turn your head to breathe. If it helps look up towards the sky or over your uplifted turned shoulder. DO NOT LIFT YOUR HEAD UP. Try to breathe on both sides.

Step 3. Once you master step 2, try kicking on your side without a board. Your face will face the side of the pool in the water. When you are ready to breathe, just turn your head like you are looking sideways. Your face will be now facing up - get a breath - and turn back. Keep kicking. I do this with lower arm out front and upper arm at side.

Step 4. Now incorporate into your swim.

Have someone watch you to be sure your technique is proper. We can't always feel if we are doing something right or wrong.

Good luck.

Judd
2009-05-07 8:26 AM

User image

St. Petersburg
Hey guys!!

Any suggestions on what you eat on the night before a race? I generally do pasta or something that my body can digest easily, and then eat a clif bar and some caffiene the morning of. My dilemma is I'm going to be in Disney World, but Epcot has food from all over the world, so I'm hoping to find something in either China or Japan.

Ideas or suggestions would be great!!

Charlotte
2009-05-07 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2135958

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
CharleyBeth - 2009-05-07 8:26 AM Hey guys!! Any suggestions on what you eat on the night before a race? I generally do pasta or something that my body can digest easily, and then eat a clif bar and some caffiene the morning of. My dilemma is I'm going to be in Disney World, but Epcot has food from all over the world, so I'm hoping to find something in either China or Japan. Ideas or suggestions would be great!! Charlotte

I don't think there's any right answer here, everyone's body is different.  My suggestion would be to NOT try any new foods that are radically different from your normal diet.  Nothing can ruin a race faster than 'digestive' issues.  Stick to what you know the night before the race, then you can go crazy eating whatever you want once the race is complete.
2009-05-07 9:06 AM

User image

New user

Omaha, NE, USA
Hey Charlotte.

I ate kung pao chicken for dinner the night before my half marathon and it didn't give me any problems.

I am just starting to get into nutrition. Chinese for dinner the night before a race might not be the best choice but it worked for me.

Good luck.

2009-05-07 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2135102

User image

New user

Judd,
Thanks for the swimming advice.
I've been working on technique a lot with my wife. I think I need to add in a little distance. Even if my technique is poor, I'll get stronger & more comfortable in the water. Which will let me relax more & help with learning the technique stuff.
Also, it's going to get harder to practice with my wife since my mother-in-law (aka babysitter) just went home to Texas after a nice 2-week visit. So, more distance & less technique will be easier to fit in.
-Mike
2009-05-07 5:03 PM
in reply to: #2135958

User image

Veteran
CharleyBeth - 2009-05-07 6:26 AM

Hey guys!!

Any suggestions on what you eat on the night before a race? I generally do pasta or something that my body can digest easily, and then eat a clif bar and some caffiene the morning of. My dilemma is I'm going to be in Disney World, but Epcot has food from all over the world, so I'm hoping to find something in either China or Japan.

Ideas or suggestions would be great!!

Charlotte

This is a very good question! Friends I know say noodles noodles noodles. However, I ate a huge hamb, with a side of double blubber (fries). I was still not hungary in the morning, and was unable to eat. I paid for it during the race.
2009-05-08 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2137376

User image

Regular
Marlboro, NJ
I have a general question for the group/people who have participated in tri's already. When I was working out last night I was curious to know if you do anything before the event to get you hr up/blood flowing and if so, what did you do? I can't imagine a "cold" start with a "low" hr is ideal????

Thanks

Brian

Edited by bk broiler 2009-05-08 7:18 AM
2009-05-08 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2138127

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
bk broiler - 2009-05-08 7:16 AM I have a general question for the group/people who have participated in tri's already. When I was working out last night I was curious to know if you do anything before the event to get you hr up/blood flowing and if so, what did you do? I can't imagine a "cold" start with a "low" hr is ideal????

Thanks

Brian

I think it would definitely help to jog for a short time, or maybe get in the water and swim for a couple of minutes to kick start the heart.  But there is also usually a waiting period before the start, so assuming you're in pretty decent shape (since you are racing), I'm guessing your HR would be back to normal after only a couple of minutes.  The tri I did was a pool swim, so there wasn't much I could do besides sit/stand around to wait and get in.  While not ideal, not sure there is anyway around it for alot of races.
2009-05-09 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Happy Saturday everyone!! And Good luck on your races this weekend! The sun was shining for my run, hope it is where you are.

2009-05-09 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2140481

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
even better, it was overcast with a slight breeze, lower humidity, and nice temps (upper 50's), great day for a run.
2009-05-10 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Okinawa, Japan
Congrats to everybody that completed races last weekend, and good luck to everybody racing this weekend.

On the Garmin question...I don't have one of those fancy devices I just use a Polar HRM and if I need to know the distance of my run, I ride the course on my bike, or drive it in my car and measure the distance. Someday I'll look into getting one of the Garmin devices...they seem cool. Anybody know how well they would perform outside of the U.S.A?

Judd is putting out some good info on swimming. One of the biggest things I see at the pool is people swimming with their head too high. Swimming like that drops your butt down, causes drag and makes you go slower. Also, they type of swimsuit you wear also makes a difference...not really an issue for girls since you are probably wearing a normal swim suit, but if the guys are wearing a regular pair of swimming trunks...major drag. Wear a form fitting pair of jammers, and your swim time will improve instantly.

Usually before a race I'll warmup with a couple hundred meters in the water. After that I just have to stay loose and relaxed.

For those of you logging your exercise...keep it up! It is great to see all those peach boxes when I check the logs. Also it is nice for you to be able to see improvement on your S/B/R distances and times as the months and years go by.

Jerry
2009-05-10 8:37 AM

User image

Veteran
The question of the day. I purchased new shoes in Feb, and they seemed to work fine while I ran in the winter on the treadmill. However, I am now spending a lot of time on the road. The bottoms of my feet are soo sore, I can bearly stand to walk on them by evening. Is it the shoes, or do I just need to toughen up my feet?
2009-05-10 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2141384

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
I use the Forerunner 50, which is pretty cheap these days.  I've found the footpod to be very good with distance, ran with a guy yesterday who had a GPS (FR 305), and our mile beeps were within 2 seconds of each other.  I also like the fact that it records my running cadence.  I also have the HR strap & bike cadence sensor, so I can record my rides as well.  And the nice thing is no lost signals, and works anywhere.  It's not as fancy as the GPS units, and I'd love to have my routes uploaded for analysis later, but for the price it's very nice.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jerryrika's "anything goes" group now - Closed Rss Feed  

of 8