BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-05-01 4:24 PM
in reply to: #1375713

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-01 11:33 AM

SpiritFire - 2008-05-01 2:16 PM  Now Chrissy - your question - I have NO IDEA how people train that much!?! ... I know for me a very busy week is 8-9 training sessions ... and I have to really struggle to get in those 2-a-days. It's tough. I think it means having nothing else going on in your life - a partner to help around the house, a job that's flexible, and no other extra-curricular activies .. ? But who wants to live like that.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not married and although I don't have kids to tend to, I also don't have anyone else to do my errands! I work long hours and am not allowed to be flexible with my schedule (like I can't come in early to leave early to train) - my hours are 9 to 6, technically, but really, they're 8:30 to 6. And I can't really get in a workout at lunch, if I even get lunch! I'd feel like a horrible person if I quit the choir to train and since it's a church activity, I'd feel even WORSE; it's a ministry and training for tris seems selfish compared to the ministry. I don't feel selfish training in general, but quitting a ministry to train more isn't good, ya know?  Plus, I'm single, so if I'm training all the time, when am I gonna meet anyone?? Or guys aside, even have time for the friends I DO have?! I already do plenty of the "sorry, I can't because I have to run/bike/swim/torture myself with vats of ice and the stick". Already have warned some of my friends that I am going to be VERY boring from about May until October, training for sprints, my first Oly and my first marathon.

x2!

I sometimes want to poke those smug married's in the eye - they don't know how good they've got it; having someone to help walk the dog, help in the kitchen, help in the yard, help getting the groceries ... doing it all yourself is very time consuming!
I have given up on meeting someone ... honestly, I live in a place where the guy:girl ratio is 1:4, so unless you're a real bar-star bimbo or a real traffic-stopper (and I am neither) you're pretty much guaranteed about 1 date a year.

2008-05-01 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1349986

User image

Colorado

Husbands that help with all that???  Where do I find one????    Okay, I won't say any more since there is a male here who may check in.

Does anybody have any races coming up this weekend?  I'm going to be out of touch for a couple of days so I'm sending my best wishes ahead of time.

Edited by AndriaLL 2008-05-01 5:51 PM
2008-05-01 6:27 PM
in reply to: #1376337

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
SpiritFire - 2008-05-01 4:24 PM
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-01 11:33 AM

SpiritFire - 2008-05-01 2:16 PM  Now Chrissy - your question - I have NO IDEA how people train that much!?! ... I know for me a very busy week is 8-9 training sessions ... and I have to really struggle to get in those 2-a-days. It's tough. I think it means having nothing else going on in your life - a partner to help around the house, a job that's flexible, and no other extra-curricular activies .. ? But who wants to live like that.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not married and although I don't have kids to tend to, I also don't have anyone else to do my errands! I work long hours and am not allowed to be flexible with my schedule (like I can't come in early to leave early to train) - my hours are 9 to 6, technically, but really, they're 8:30 to 6. And I can't really get in a workout at lunch, if I even get lunch! I'd feel like a horrible person if I quit the choir to train and since it's a church activity, I'd feel even WORSE; it's a ministry and training for tris seems selfish compared to the ministry. I don't feel selfish training in general, but quitting a ministry to train more isn't good, ya know?  Plus, I'm single, so if I'm training all the time, when am I gonna meet anyone?? Or guys aside, even have time for the friends I DO have?! I already do plenty of the "sorry, I can't because I have to run/bike/swim/torture myself with vats of ice and the stick". Already have warned some of my friends that I am going to be VERY boring from about May until October, training for sprints, my first Oly and my first marathon.

x2! I sometimes want to poke those smug married's in the eye - they don't know how good they've got it; having someone to help walk the dog, help in the kitchen, help in the yard, help getting the groceries ... doing it all yourself is very time consuming! I have given up on meeting someone ... honestly, I live in a place where the guy:girl ratio is 1:4, so unless you're a real bar-star bimbo or a real traffic-stopper (and I am neither) you're pretty much guaranteed about 1 date a year.

Hey,

Smug married person here! But I think husbands like that only exist on TV. We all do it tough just in different ways(although I must say I don't have it too hard as I'm a stay at home mum and if I manage my time right mostly I can get in my session or swap things around).

Mind you tho' that many sessions (4,4,3) is alot. You could periodize it buy only doing 4 sessions in each discipline but on alternating weeks. So say 4 rides,3 runs and 2-3 swims one week and another combination the next and so on. Is that clear or confusing. Or do the same thing on monthly cycles woking on building one discipline each month and maintaining the others then rotating.

I'm still playing with these ideas myself in an effort to maintain balance in my life and not compromise my family time too much

Sorry if I rambled.

2008-05-01 8:13 PM
in reply to: #1376554

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
You did not ramble .. it makes sense!

I just want to report that I made it through my swim ... actually made it through fairly well - I'm proud of myself! ;-)
(see log for details ... I'm too tired to type it all out over again ... hee hee)
2008-05-01 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Having an unscheduled rest day today guys.  ;_; 

I'm sick.  I even left my baby at work because I didn't feel well enough to ride her home yesterday!  At least she's in good company.  The pretty pink Orbea was parked next to her in our work lock up yesterday. 

As for smug married people - I'm ALMOST married.  he he he.  FH and I aren't exactly smug... We WISH we had someone to clean our unit, do our washing, cook for us.  We both work full time and we both train.  Some days we only see each other for an HOUR because we're stuffed.  

I've been naughty today on my recovery - I cooked a chocolate pudding for myself and downed it with  some frozen rasberries I found in our freezer!  it was divine!  I'm not worried about blowing out nutrition wise because I actually got the recipie from Australian Triathlon and Multisport Magazine!  THUMBS UP!!!    

Good on you all for getting your training in!  Swimming is going to get harder and harder for Tammie and me over the next few weeks!  For me it's been cold and windy!  Throwing this cold into the miz sure ain't going to help anything. 

Tammie I was looking at the forecast for Melbourne - 16 degrees MAX today!!!  ARE YOU KIDDING?  THAT is cold! 

Even though I'm sick I want to go for a spin on the bike.  Nothing fancy - just a jaunt down to the shops and back.  It's too nice a day not too... Might go for a walk later. 

But for now I'm curling up underneath a doona and drinking my tea.  I think it's time for a nap!  

Have a great day guys!   

2008-05-01 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Andria, tomorrow is the day? Never mind about us, focus inward and gather strength. I'll be thinking of you. Please let us know when you are ready to talk about it. Good wishes to you and your family.

2008-05-01 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Doona? translation, please? Afghan, blanket? I'm guessing. This is fun!
2008-05-01 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1376864

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

Jenni G - 2008-05-01 9:16 PM Doona? translation, please? Afghan, blanket? I'm guessing. This is fun!

That's funny. I had a problem with this word when I used it in one of the challenges( I think Maddy was on my team actually). It's a Duvet or comforter.I think that's what you Americans call them.

2008-05-02 8:04 AM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Hey, you just gotta know where to look for those non-worthless guys. My wife had to stalk me to nab me.

Maddy, my best prescription for just about any illness:

Sweat
Booze (I prefer whiskey)
Orange Juice
Sleep

Next day you should be nice and well. It's worked for me for years.

Yes, I was bad Wednesday being lazy on the couch watching soccer and eating popcorn, but I made up for it yesterday. I need to get a digital watch I can use to time my swims. The analog wall clock just ain't gettin' it done.

I'M BACK ON THE SOCCER FIELD THIS SUNDAY!!! I'm getting really pumped. I've been on injured reserve since I pulled a hip flexor a few weeks ago, and it's feeling good lately.

What else going on...

Went to a decent play last night, sister-in-law is graduating college Saturday, fit in some more training this weekend.

Woo hoo!

That is all.
2008-05-02 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Not so smug married person responding. Yes, I love being married and have a wonderful husband and family, but sometimes as a stay-at-home mom I am the last person that gets tended to, which explains why I workout at 5:00 am. This sometimes means getting up at 2:00 am or 3:00am with my youngest and then getting up at 5:00 am to workout. Otherwise, no work out for the day. I wouldn't change a thing, though. Don't worry, your day will come. We met at church on the day of my 30th birthday. So just keep an open mind and the rest will happen.

Today is a huge day at our house. My youngest turns one. Yeah!!!!

As for feeling better. I usually drink a lot of orange juice and pop some vitamin C. It seems to work for me. I do like the addition of the whiskey. I'll have to remember that one.

Good luck on the soccer field. Have fun!!

Have a great weekend you guys. Take care of yourselves.
2008-05-02 8:47 AM

Mornin' all - I have a splitting headache that will not go away, even though I took medicine around 7:45. Stupid lady issues (sorry, Brian!). Which is why I've felt exhausted all week. Ah well, I will just pop some more advil (probably burning a hole in my stomach, but it's the only thing that helps - seriously, I'm talking like 3 or 4).

Hopefully swimming and running tonight, if I can muster up some energy today. Our monthly choir dinner was last night - the choir is mostly people old enough to be my parents or my grandparents. Usually, the food is good (we make pasta or get it catered from the BBQ place nearby), but one of the older women has taken over the cooking as of late, and I am guessing that she has not bought a new cookbook since 1963 - seriously, it reminds me of my great aunt's at Thanksgiving...gross. If I didn't work until 6 pm, I'd do it (I'm a good cook), but the dinners start at 6:30 and that's usually when I end up being able to get there, if traffic isn't bad. Must be nice to be retired...

2008-05-02 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Adriana, thinking of you - good luck today.

As for the smug marrieds - sorry I'm almost there too. I really am smug as well as my man is a start as regards the housework and we split the cooking/washing up I do the cooking he does everything else. He even puts washing on, he really is a star and it really helps me at the moment as I'm dealing with the training, my masters course and a full time job.

I have a race this week - I'm starting to get nervous already. Thanks to the efforts I've been putting in on the weight loss I'll be 18 1/2lbs lighter than last time so at the very least it'll be less of a haul.

What's everyone else up to at the weekend.

Oh yes and cures for sickness - as much rest as you can get and plenty of fluids.
2008-05-02 10:33 AM

I may or may not be doing a swim/run biathlon on Sunday. Depends on if I'm in the mood or not. It was only $25 to register and the money goes to charity, so I won't feel bad if I don't go.
2008-05-02 11:11 AM

Oh, also supposed to ride tomorrow morning - not sure of the distance though. Hope it doesn't rain!
2008-05-02 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois
Sadly, I have to say I side with Bri on the cure for what ails you. Sweat, booze, and refusal to admit you are sick. Us working mom's really don't have time for sick foolishness. I take zinc at the first sign, but by the time your under the blankets on the couch, its too late.Whats up for the weekend? Well, Saturday I have a 12 mile run, followed by moving my mom and grandmom across town. Hopefully laundry and groceries. If there is time, practice transitions in the back yard. I have my first tri-like experience Sunday. It's a silly little super sprint, just to introduce folks to transiitions really. Most people do this distance as a warm up! If it werent for the swim, it wouldnt be a big deal, but I'm nervous about it. strange pool, lots of splashing and passing and bumping while I'm trying to concentrate and breathe! Im having nightmares already! After the race, I'll try to get cleaned up and make it to church. That's pretty much it. So if you dont hear from me after sunday morning, you can bet that I've drown in 3 feet of pool water.
2008-05-02 3:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hey don't knock the supersprint - that's all I feel capable of at the moment!
I'm working up to a sprint at the end of the year!

2008-05-02 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1378727

Kate_r - 2008-05-02 4:53 PM Hey don't knock the supersprint - that's all I feel capable of at the moment! I'm working up to a sprint at the end of the year!

You can definitely do it! My first race ever was a sprint, after 13 weeks of training, not coming from a biking or running background and with no competitive swim background (just good technique background and liking the water). It was a HARD sprint, too - the bike course was awful. And I survived - really, the only think that destroyed my time was the bike. My run wasn't fantastic, and I still would have been BOP overall, but I bet I would have placed a bit higher if I hadn't totally been killed on the bike (go read my race report sometime - I walked down two hills). So you will TOTALLY be able to do it! 

2008-05-02 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

Hi all,

It's Saturday morning for me already. So, my weekend..

DH got called out to work last night so it was me and my 7 yo son left for our weekly Pizza and movie night(He has the pizza,I had a WW frozen dinner-trying to be good). We watched ET and he loved it-he's a real softie so I think he was trying to hide a tear.

I'm taking it easy today cos I'm still fighting my cold and I have a fun run tomorrow. DH has to work again! So I'll spend the day being mom and houseworky chores.

Tomorrow is my favorite fun run of the year. We race against a little steam train thru our picturesque Dandenong Ranges. I'm not expecting to do really well-not enough long distance stuff in my training so far and I'm wrestling this cold.

Lots of healthy food for me today..not a fan of whiskey I'm afraid. Wine or chamagne wont cut it will it?

Edited by bondgirl 2008-05-02 4:16 PM
2008-05-02 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1378784

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
bondgirl - 2008-05-02 5:16 PM

Hi all,

It's Saturday morning for me already. So, my weekend..

DH got called out to work last night so it was me and my 7 yo son left for our weekly Pizza and movie night(He has the pizza,I had a WW frozen dinner-trying to be good). We watched ET and he loved it-he's a real softie so I think he was trying to hide a tear.

I'm taking it easy today cos I'm still fighting my cold and I have a fun run tomorrow. DH has to work again! So I'll spend the day being mom and houseworky chores.

Tomorrow is my favorite fun run of the year. We race against a little steam train thru our picturesque Dandenong Ranges. I'm not expecting to do really well-not enough long distance stuff in my training so far and I'm wrestling this cold.

Lots of healthy food for me today..not a fan of whiskey I'm afraid. Wine or chamagne wont cut it will it?

Whiskey is best but vodka will do in a pinch!

Have fun at your run tomorrow!  Kick that steam train's tail!

Edited by esc 2008-05-02 5:08 PM
2008-05-02 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
Yikes - I miss a day and a mile behind in reading. I am one of the grateful married - hubby cooking dinner as I type (which is rare but appreciated). I'm doing good to get 5 workouts in a week - sometimes 6or7 TOPS. Can't quite wrap my mind around 12.
2008-05-02 8:05 PM
in reply to: #1379021

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Wow I've missed a lot in a day!! I totally love how involved we all are! ;-)

Oh I was misread - I'm not dissing the smug marrieds (perhaps I've seen Bridget Jones's Diary a few too many times) ... as a mid-30's woman with a few ex's behind her I do believe in the sanctity of marriage .. but I'm never getting married again!! hahah ... however none of my SO's ever helped around the house and usually made more work for me. I find being single WAY easier than cleaning up after two - yet I see a good relationship such as my parents, or many friends, where they share the work ... and it seems SO GOOD! ...
That said - I am NOT looking for another SO. If someone happens along, fantastic. If not - so be it. I'm really quite content on my own. ;-)

So ... I spent my entire day doing this:

www.423nutrition.ca

It's my new website! Its up! Well ... sort of. It's mostly up!

I don't officially open till June 23, but I needed to get the website up and going cuz gawd help me if I print all my business cards and pamphlets with a web address that turns out I can't use ... so the website was a first step. ;-)

I'll be changing the banner along the top, it will include my logo (which is what you see now in the left hand corner) and I will add 3-4 more photos of myself doing things like yoga on the beach, me running along a picturesque wooded trail, a bowl of fresh fruit, fruit on the vine, etc (once I get weather good enough to get outside with my photographer) ... I'm not happy right now with how the logo is being overshadowed by the stock photos - but I'll fix that once I get my personal photos done.
I will also embed photos into the text at various locations, and I'll also be putting in random quotes here and there, once I figure out the software a bit more.

But other than that - it's done! It's live and out there for all the world to see! Holy crap this is real.

Thank goodness I only have 6 more shifts at my job ... I really can't handle everything ... work, school, the business, training, the dog the house and the nitpicks of life ... there's just not enough hours in the day.

2008-05-02 8:25 PM
in reply to: #1378727

User image

Veteran
Springfield, Illinois

Kate_r - 2008-05-02 3:53 PM Hey don't knock the supersprint - that's all I feel capable of at the moment! I'm working up to a sprint at the end of the year!

I'm not knocking it. I'm jealous that you feel capable of it right now. I DONT. I wish I did.

This will be my first tri thingy and I'm slightly, no UNBEARABLY, nervous.

Edited by Jenni G 2008-05-02 8:30 PM
2008-05-02 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

Hey Trina,

Congrats on the website launch. All the Best for your future business. I hope life settles down for you in six days. How exciting!

By the way..There was no offence taken, I got that it was just a passing commenty thing. Just teasing you.

2008-05-02 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1379131

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Jenni G - 2008-05-02 6:25 PM

Kate_r - 2008-05-02 3:53 PM Hey don't knock the supersprint - that's all I feel capable of at the moment! I'm working up to a sprint at the end of the year!

I'm not knocking it. I'm jealous that you feel capable of it right now. I DONT. I wish I did.

This will be my first tri thingy and I'm slightly, no UNBEARABLY, nervous.

This is NOT my first tri thingy ... and I am still unbearably nervous. ;-)
2008-05-02 10:35 PM
in reply to: #1379110

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

The website looks great, Trina.  I love that your company name is your first race number - way cool!

Edited by esc 2008-05-02 10:35 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23