Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2008-12-29 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1875721

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL
evondo - 2008-12-29 10:12 AM

I got the Rudy Project Syton but haven't had a chance to try it out yet since it was 40 and rainy when I got back into Houston.

Good idea with the shirt, does your wife move around the course to see you at different places or just near the end?

I have the Rudy Project Syton Supercomp and I love it.  I went through two helmets before I found this one.

The wife and kids go to mile 17ish... Randall's P-Lot just before Tanglewide Sub.  Then they got to the end.

I have the Profile Design Tri-Stryke saddle, which is fairly comfortable.  But I have been looking at the ISM Adamo saddle.  I have heard mixed reviews, so I haven't committed to trying one yet.  That might be an '09 investment... along with a Flashpoint 60/90 wheel set!  Come on' tax return!

2008-12-29 2:31 PM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

Ahh finally back at work and time to get on the internets. I did get a Garmin 305 from Santa and looking forward to getting use out of it. Of course Dallas had some big storm on Saturday and Sunday I had to fix the roof and fence so no riding for me outside then.

I do have a question about my fit on my bike. Most of my riding has been on the trainer. Weekends are really the only chance I have for outdoor riding since I dont like riding in the dark. Anyways when I am riding I have the feeling like I am slipping foward on my aero bars where my elbows are sittting. I feel like I have to hold onto the bars (unknown proper name) a little. Is this a normal feeling or should I be resting on them more and relaxed hands? If so do I move the seat forward? I did get fitted a month ago when I first got the bike. The bike is a Specialized Transistion Pro 05'.

2008-12-29 2:36 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY

As added motivation to get myself in gear, I signed up for the January CHALLENGE Challenge.  It never ceases to amaze me how long it takes to build up endurance and how quickly you lose it!  I especially need to start picking up the running mileage.  I'm signed up for the DC Cherry Blossom 10 Miler on April 5, which I'd like to do at a sub-9 min pace.  I feel pretty confident about this, with the only wrench in my training plan being that I'm traveling for the first two and a half weeks of March.

My goals for Jan...
Swim - 8,000 yds
Bike - 10 hrs
Run - 60 miles

I should probably also add in some strength and pilates sessions.

2008-12-29 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1876239

User image

Master
Houston

I love the 305, it makes it so I don't have to plan routes before a run.

I'm by no means a professional fitter but it sounds like your arms are reaching to far out. Depending on the bars you can probably bring them back so when you rest on them your elbow is near 90deg. It could also be caused by your seat angle being pointed to far down, causing your body weight to shift forward.

Newtons1st - 2008-12-29 2:31 PM

Ahh finally back at work and time to get on the internets. I did get a Garmin 305 from Santa and looking forward to getting use out of it. Of course Dallas had some big storm on Saturday and Sunday I had to fix the roof and fence so no riding for me outside then.

I do have a question about my fit on my bike. Most of my riding has been on the trainer. Weekends are really the only chance I have for outdoor riding since I dont like riding in the dark. Anyways when I am riding I have the feeling like I am slipping foward on my aero bars where my elbows are sittting. I feel like I have to hold onto the bars (unknown proper name) a little. Is this a normal feeling or should I be resting on them more and relaxed hands? If so do I move the seat forward? I did get fitted a month ago when I first got the bike. The bike is a Specialized Transistion Pro 05'.

2008-12-29 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1876249

User image

KelliD - 2008-12-29 2:36 PM

As added motivation to get myself in gear, I signed up for the January CHALLENGE Challenge.  It never ceases to amaze me how long it takes to build up endurance and how quickly you lose it!  I especially need to start picking up the running mileage.  I'm signed up for the DC Cherry Blossom 10 Miler on April 5, which I'd like to do at a sub-9 min pace.  I feel pretty confident about this, with the only wrench in my training plan being that I'm traveling for the first two and a half weeks of March.

My goals for Jan...
Swim - 8,000 yds
Bike - 10 hrs
Run - 60 miles

Good for you!  Way to push yourself!  It will definitely payoff come race day...superfast! Cool

2008-12-29 3:01 PM

User image

Newtons1st - 2008-12-29 2:31 PM

The 305 is the best training tool I have ever used.  And I have only used about 25% of its capabilities!

2008-12-29 3:06 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Newtons1st - 2008-12-29 3:31 PM

Just my two cents... when I first started using my trainer and the training block (is that what it's called?) that came with it that you put your front tire on while riding, I found that it was actually angled slightly up.  When I would ride outside I always felt like my face was plumeting twords the ground, as I had gotten used to the position on the trainer.

After going in for a second fitting, we discovered that it was my position on the trainer that was off.

All that being said, when using my aerobars, I always feel like I need to hang on to the bar part a little.  I'm just not comfortable resting on my elbows and completely relaxing my hands, even though my position is theorhetically good.

2008-12-29 3:13 PM
in reply to: #1876249

User image

Master
Houston

Great goals! You'll be thanking yourself for building your endurance early in the season come race day!

I started doing pilates a couple months ago and I swear it's improved my bike position.  Of course it maybe in my head but either way I've been able to drop my aerobars a couple notches so it's working...

KelliD - 2008-12-29 2:36 PM

My goals for Jan...
Swim - 8,000 yds
Bike - 10 hrs
Run - 60 miles

2008-12-30 8:28 AM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

maybe a shorter head set is what you need?  Did you notice the video on the homepage from a bike store?  I believe in may have been in your area, perhaps they can get you fitted better.  I'm lucky most of my buddies here have or still do work in the cycling industry.

Santa brought me my Brooks Glycerin 6 shoes and a 50 dollar GC to my running store.  I bought myself some new Zipp 303's for about half price .  Take that Santa!

2008-12-30 8:34 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

So yesterday  I read thru archived IM race reports on this site. 

*whispers* I think I want to do an IM in 2010.

My understanding is that if you volunteer for your race of choice, you have a better chance of getting a registration spot, correct?  Husband and I are planning on voluteering for IMFL in 09... and that would be a late-season race giving me close to 2 years to prepare.  If I plan an Olympic, a full marathon and an HIM this season, and a few early season races in 2010, I think I could be more than ready.

Someone either tell me I'm nuts or that it's a great idea please.

Edited by Nicole83 2008-12-30 8:38 AM
2008-12-30 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1877478

User image

Master
New York, NY
Nicole83 - 2008-12-30 9:34 AM

My understanding is that if you volunteer for your race of choice, you have a better chance of getting a registration spot, correct?  Husband and I are planning on voluteering for IMFL in 09... and that would be a late-season race giving me close to 2 years to prepare.  If I plan an Olympic, a full marathon and an HIM this season, and a few early season races in 2010, I think I could be more than ready.

Ohhh......great idea!!!! Smile  Do it, do it!

I could be mistaken, but I believe I heard the same about volunteering & registration for the following year.

Sort of along the same line, I'm considering a HIM towards the end of the season.  For a while I said if I didn't do it in 2009 I would definitely do it in 2010.  But, here's a secret....I really want to do it this season.  The more I consider it and the more race reports I read, the more excited I get about doing a HIM. 

Edited by KelliD 2008-12-30 9:05 AM

2008-12-30 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Houston

I saw that in your goals this AM and thought that was new! I'm not sure about the volunteering but I have friends that signed up for IMFL with no issues this year, just need to make sure to do it as soon as it opens. 

I think it's a great goal and 2 years is plenty of time to train (I think, can't speak from experience since I haven't done one).  Also from the races you plan on doing it sounds like you realize your IM training starts now Will your first Olympic race be this year? The training for an Olympic and HIM doesn't change much, just long bike/run for my schedule. 

Go for it! You can always re-evaluate after this season since signup isn't until later this year.

Nicole83 - 2008-12-30 8:34 AM

2008-12-30 9:01 AM
in reply to: #1877515

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

I have actually completed several sprints, 3 Olympics and one HIM, but it's been 2 years since I've trained and raced reguarly.  This would be my first season of getting back into it after a traumatic race in Aprl of 2007...

You're right in that I have a lot of time to decide.    I'm having anxiety just talking about it.  lol.

evondo - 2008-12-30 9:57 AM

I saw that in your goals this AM and thought that was new! I'm not sure about the volunteering but I have friends that signed up for IMFL with no issues this year, just need to make sure to do it as soon as it opens. 

I think it's a great goal and 2 years is plenty of time to train (I think, can't speak from experience since I haven't done one).  Also from the races you plan on doing it sounds like you realize your IM training starts now Will your first Olympic race be this year? The training for an Olympic and HIM doesn't change much, just long bike/run for my schedule. 

Go for it! You can always re-evaluate after this season since signup isn't until later this year.

2008-12-30 11:08 AM

User image

I saw that lil' quote in your TL goals...  

It is a great frickin' doggon' stinkin' idea!!!  IMFL Registration opens on site the Sunday after the race for volunteers or others who are there from 9am-11am.  Then on-line registration opens at 12 noon for everyone else...sells out in hours (2-3).  Participants get a chance to register the Thursday or Friday before the race for the following year.

I am planning on registering for 2010, regardless of how '09 goes... It is a huge commitment / gamble.  Registration was $525, so it is not a fly by night decision. 

You can do it!!!!  

2008-12-30 11:16 AM
in reply to: #1877493

User image

Sort of along the same line, I'm considering a HIM towards the end of the season.  For a while I said if I didn't do it in 2009 I would definitely do it in 2010.  But, here's a secret....I really want to do it this season.  The more I consider it and the more race reports I read, the more excited I get about doing a HIM. 

Depending what your race goals are (How fast you want to complete it...) The half-iron distance is not as intimidating as it initially sounds.  It is not easy... don't get me wrong, but it appears that you are well on your way to being ready to complete the 70.3 distance.  Barring injuries or other major setbacks in your training, you may find that the HIM is not as hard (once you finish) than what you anticipated.  The UNKNOWN is always the intimidating factor.  Keep up the consistent work and you'll cross that finish line like a champ!

2008-12-30 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

Great Idea, GO FOR IT!!!

2008-12-30 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1878026

User image

Master
Houston

For those that are working on getting their schedule setup for 2009, here's a good article I saw today...

http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/the-abcs-of-planning-your-race-season

This is just a high overview of some commonly thrown around rules, if anyone has more indepth questions let me know I've created quite a few training plans for myself and friends

No matter what you're training for...
-At least 1 day per week completely off
-10-15% maximum increase per week
-Every 4th week reduce all mileage by 25% (I personally cut out weights as well this week)
-If you miss a workout, skip it.. it's in the past. Only exception might be a long run/bike can be moved to an off day if and only if you take off the day you should be on the run/bike

2008-12-30 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1877493

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
KelliD - 2008-12-30 9:43 AM

I totally missed this!  I agree totally with Tri_n, the HIM is a very do-able distance.  Do you have the type of situation where you could travel to do it?  There is one in FL that is held in conjunction with a full IM in late August that I've heard awesome things about. 

Either way though, I think it's a great idea.  What would stop you from doing it? 

2008-12-31 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1878126

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
evondo - 2008-12-30 2:03 PM

For those that are working on getting their schedule setup for 2009, here's a good article I saw today...

http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/the-abcs-of-planning-your-race-season

This is just a high overview of some commonly thrown around rules, if anyone has more indepth questions let me know I've created quite a few training plans for myself and friends

No matter what you're training for...
-At least 1 day per week completely off
-10-15% maximum increase per week
-Every 4th week reduce all mileage by 25% (I personally cut out weights as well this week)
-If you miss a workout, skip it.. it's in the past. Only exception might be a long run/bike can be moved to an off day if and only if you take off the day you should be on the run/bike

Thanks because this si what I will be doing at work today, besides doing actual "work". Is it time to go home yet?

2008-12-31 8:13 AM

User image

Cambridge, MA
I am glad to hear I am not the only sucker at work today...I think I will plan my 2009 training plan as well....
2008-12-31 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1879388

User image

Master
Houston

I'm at work as well, I think there was 3 cars in the parking lot.  Just keep reminding myself working today will allow for a nice summer vacation on the beach instead of this cold junk

whshaw3 - 2008-12-31 8:13 AM I am glad to hear I am not the only sucker at work today...I think I will plan my 2009 training plan as well....

2008-12-31 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Yesterday I actually did my normal tread mill run on the indoor track. I actually did 2 easy miles and the calf felt pretty good. It started to feel it around the 2 mile point so I stopped. Basically I get the feeling like the muscle being compressed or like it sweels and there is no room for it to sweel. I now it doesnt sound like much but right now for me it feels like a big step. 2-1/2 months off 1 month of slow treadmill work.  
2008-12-31 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1878476

User image

Master
New York, NY

I totally missed this!  I agree totally with Tri_n, the HIM is a very do-able distance.  Do you have the type of situation where you could travel to do it?  There is one in FL that is held in conjunction with a full IM in late August that I've heard awesome things about. 

Either way though, I think it's a great idea.  What would stop you from doing it? 

There's nothing that really stopping me from doing a HIM.  The only thing holding me back at the moment is that extremely ridiculous voice in the back of my head that says 'but what if I can't do it'.  Like I said, ridiculous...I know.  Because I know that as long as I put in the time I can do it.

I could do a destination race, although I think I might like to keep it in the Northeast.  We'll see though.  I spent yesterday afternoon reading HIM race reports....wow, once you start reading those it's so hard to stop. 

Edited by KelliD 2008-12-31 8:35 AM
2008-12-31 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1879398

User image

Master
New York, NY
evondo - 2008-12-31 9:17 AM

I'm at work as well, I think there was 3 cars in the parking lot.  Just keep reminding myself working today will allow for a nice summer vacation on the beach instead of this cold junk

whshaw3 - 2008-12-31 8:13 AM I am glad to hear I am not the only sucker at work today...I think I will plan my 2009 training plan as well....

I'm at the office as well.  It's been beyond dead here all week!  And I think I've spent the majority of my days on BT.

2008-12-31 8:43 AM

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN
Great its dead everywhere?  I sell car parts for a living so hopefully there is something to do.  That last few days have been crazy busy! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137