Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-01-22 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1922427

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group- CLOSED

AKR18 - 2009-01-22 10:59 AM Great news on the swimming! Bilateral breathing is TOUGH. I do not even attempt it.

Wow...and you're a swimmer.  I MUST be mental!

2009-01-23 7:55 AM
in reply to: #1861022

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Matt, Bilateral is easy if you just keep your eyes on the hotties next to you.

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend.  Skiing, and snow-tubing are on my agenda.

2009-01-23 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1924364

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
jeffnboise - 2009-01-23 7:55 AM

Matt, Bilateral is easy if you just keep your eyes on the hotties next to you.

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend.  Skiing, and snow-tubing are on my agenda.

That would be a little too obvious.  All the hotties are on the fast side of the pool.  I'm over with all the old fat guys...That's at least helping to keep my head down!

2009-01-23 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

You guys are too funny.     Have fun skiing and tubing, one week from tomorrow I'm in Colorado doing the same thing.

I can do bilateral breathing, but have to remind myself to do it, otherwise I'm always breathing on the right side, it's just what feels more natural.

I got my long run in OUTSIDE today.  Woo hoo!  Little bit slushy in a few areas, felt awesome to be out there.  Too bad it's going to get cold again starting tomorrow.

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-01-23 1:43 PM
2009-01-24 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Mike got his long run in outside yesterday morning. I spent my day wishing I could run outside. And today? It's 16. NICE.

On my swim yesterday I did some bilateral breathing. It's just not natural, and I don't swim long enough to feel like I have to do it, I guess. lazy, right? But congrats to you all who do it or challenge yourself to do it.

As for hotties in the pool- our pool was crowded yesterday, and I spent the first twenty minutes with some dude swimming on top of me. He was trying to swim between two lanes, and had no idea what he was doing during lap swim. The joy? Each time I went to turn he would be hanging out at the deep end of the pool and re-tying his swim trunks. YUCK. Thankfully he got tired of getting kicked by the guy on the other side of him, so he got out, and then I happily shared lanes with someone who was polite, and nice, and could keep in their own small lane space. Pre-tri me would have been totally intimidated and gotten out of the pool when the guy was crowding me/flailing around; post-tri me was like well, I've swum over bigger packs of people than you!

And don't knock the "old fat guys." That's who I swim with. I even have one guy who I have coached into building up his endurance so he can swim a nice, slow 100 instead of stopping every 25. He winks at me and says HI everytime I hop in the pool.
2009-01-24 8:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Our triathlon club had its annual expo today.

This means we signed up/paid dues for this year, I got a club bike jersey, Mike got fitted for and ordered a team uniform, and then we wandered around and drooooolllleeeddd.

A rep from Cervelo was there- Mike wants the P2, so I left him yammering on with the rep for half an hour. I checked out the Computrainers (so cool! but not in our budget right now), and then grabbed a sample of a new Heed flavor (Mild Melon- and it is so good!). I also bought a giant tub of Heed lemon/lime. The giant tubs last forver, and I have the mandarin orange at home. Heed works for me- I can't do gu, or a lot of the other gels and electrolyte drinks out there, because of the high fructose corn syrup and my migraines. The Heed rep is also the computrainer rep, and also one of the co-owners of Elite Endeavors (the put on our tris here in Sylvania, and a few Xterra races too)- fantastic group, if you ever get a chance to do one of their races, do it!

We talked about a bike for me with a few bike shop reps, but my point was this: I'm going to wreck whatever you put me on. I fall off my bike all the time, so carbon? Ridiculous. I need a good, used, aluminum bike that fits me. Each rep pointed out that I'm really tall (duh), and confirmed I have to get a men's bike because I'm too tall for women's bike frames. Guess I will just have to girly it up with stickers and streamers! Or, maybe just more electric blue grip tape.

I was pretty excited about purchasing one of our team bike jerseys. I did not consider myself fit enough, or proven enough, to advertise that I was with a club in any of my races. This year, though, is a different season, and that bike jersey will be my uniform for races. I'm not ready to race in a tri suit- me and cookies, a losing battle.

The expo got us pretty pumped for this season! Hope everyone else had a great Saturday!

2009-01-27 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

Sounds like an awesome expo.  Is that something that is open to the public?  Might have been worth the drive for me.  Not sure there's anything like that going on in Columbus.

Today we had snow and I worked from home.  Didn't want to risk going out to the gym and only have weights at home.  Did weights yesterday so not sure what to do today.  It may end up being just a rest day.  Will have to double up some work out later this week.

2009-01-28 1:21 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. 

Had some good workouts and missed a few others

I got a new (used) set of rollers for a ridiculously low price-so I've been playing on them for a bit.  I hate 'drainers', but I can tolerate riding rollers.  I just open my garage door and watch the world drive by. 

It's official (sadly) I CAN'T do the Ironman 70.3 in June-just costs too damn much money (about $300.00).  However, there is a 70.3 event close by that only costs $125.00.  Maybe I can do that.  Sadly, my appetitite for competition FAR exceeds my budget.  I LOVE racing-I HATE training for nothing.

2009-01-28 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
We are in the midst of finalizing plans for this years races, and Mike has had to cut his dream races back due to finances. He had his eye on a few that would mean travel, plus hotel costs....
We totally undestand, Jeff. And I'm sure everyone else does too. Mike likes to scare me by putting his name in for one of those Kona bids....I can not even think of the cost of that.

We are fortunate that we have quite a few races close to home or close to friends. And, our house is open to any of you ohio/michigan people interested in staying here.

Shoveled wet heavy snow today while the toddler napped, and boy is my back screaming. The snow came, then the sun came out and it is decent - I was sweating and wishing I could fit in a run tonight (not going to happen). Had to get the snow shoveled up ontop of the old snow piles so what was left on the driveway would melt! Ginny, our snow did not start until last night, about 6, and then stopped around eleven this morning. We were lucky and just got the tip of the storm- looks like you got a lot more than us, and my family in Cinci and Dayton got ice plus snow. I'm sooooo ready for spring, or a move to a warmer climate.
2009-01-28 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

I spent the day yesterday sick in bed.  I went for a swim at the Y in the am, but I think that I got some water in my ear and it totally screwed with me.  Dizzy/nausea....blech.  Was back in bed as soon as my boy was at school and didn't wake up again until about 1:30 in the afternoon.  Felt better soon after getting up, and was back to myself by late afternoon.  I even managed to get in a quick 2 mile run late last night.  However, today is an unscheduled rest day.  I'll be back at the pool tomorrow, and either tomorrow or friday will get my long run of 8 miles in.  I'm hoping tomorrow.  I was able to deal with wet/heavy snow today too.  Such fun!

Matt

2009-01-28 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Matt, Take care.  It's far too early to put your health on the back burner for the sake of a workout.

To all of you effected by the ice/snow storms in the midwest...Be Strong.  I grew up in Illinois, so I know exactly what you're feeling-that's why i moved.

2009-01-29 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

Jeff - totally understand on the races.  I have to have a race to be working for in order to keep myself motivated to train.  But the cost is definitely an issue.  I haven't officially picked my first tri yet because I"m waiting to find out which one will be the cheapest.  One I really thought I'd like to do was $200...I don't think so, not for a first one where I'm just trying to figure everything out.

Matt - Sorry you're feeling bad.  Hope you start feeling better soon. 

Anne - We got quite a bit of snow and ice.  Work was shut down yesterday and I did my share of shoveling.  Only got half the drive way done, but that's all I need since I only have the one car

I ended up just doing a Tae Bo Cardio dvd yesterday.  Still need to get in a long run this week, hopefully Friday night on the treadmill.  8 miles ugh!

Next week will be cross training all week long.  I'm off to Colorado for a week of skiing and hot tubing.  Suppose to be 30 - 40 degrees there and sunshine!  I can't wait...it will be a welcome change from the 0 - 20 degrees here and gray!

2009-01-29 9:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Thanks for the well wishes...I felt great as soon as my ear dried out!  I did make a stop at the drug store, and will be swimming with ear plugs from now on...

Matt

2009-01-31 7:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Matt, glad you found a quick and easy solution to the ear issue/sickness post swim.

Ginny, have a GREAT trip!

This past week was rough around here- snow days, dogs at the vet, uncooperative toddlers. It means I have not gotten a swim in (boooooooo) but I think my Bike Computer is finally settled in the right spot to track everything correctly (yeah!). The issue is that, while it is on the trainer, my bike computer has to move to the back wheel, so I can't put the computer up on my handlebars and must move it as far back on my center rail as possible (basically under my seat).

We have a pretty crazy weekend, but I will hopefully get back on here to check on everyone's workouts Sunday. Happy Training!
2009-01-31 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1938654

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Hi Everyone-

I hope at this point that everyone is feeling better, has safe travels, life settles, and training is good.  

My life has been a stressful shambles-you all know my dad was in the hospital and I've been running back and forth, HUGE problem at work that=job security for life (be careful what you wish for), and my husband is starting a business so my house is in a state of flux and ick while he sets up an office (I like neat and tidy).  

I have not done any training in over a week.  I need to start something that will become habit.  30 minutes at a time.  Does anyone exercise early in the morning?  How do you motivate to get out of bed?  Whatever I do I need to keep it simple and structured right now.  I need my training to be my no-brainer.  

Happy Weekend to all!  jo 

2009-01-31 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1938654

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

AKR18 - 2009-01-31 7:14 AM The issue is that, while it is on the trainer, my bike computer has to move to the back wheel, so I can't put the computer up on my handlebars and must move it as far back on my center rail as possible (basically under my seat).

What I did to fix this problem was to buy another CHEAP computer - think under $10 at K-Mart for the back wheel.  I didn't mess with my good computer on the front wheel.  I have the cheapie attached with zip ties so that when I go back outside, I just remove the one from the back.

Jo - I swim in the morning.  I don't really know how I do it other than to say, if I don't swim in the morning, I don't swim.  I don't have enough time to swim at lunch time, and there's HS meets/practices in the evenings when I'd be able to get to the Y.  Besides, it's really nice to get up and have one of my workouts done before breakfast!

Matt

2009-02-02 9:48 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Jo, 'fraid I can't give you any advice about working out in the early AM-I have a hard time myself.  However, the ONE piece of advice I CAN give is this.  You CAN NOT 'find' or 'make' time for a workout.  You have to set aside the time just like you would for commuting to work, showering, or brushing your teeth.  It sounds stupid, but if you try and make/find time, you won't find it.  Something will come up (it always does) and you'll lose the time you set aside.  If you want to do this crazy sh$t we do-you HAVE to be willing to set up your day to include the time it takes to work out.  My friends don't marvel at the races I do-rather, they admire the time I spend preparing for the races I do.  That's the commitment part.  That's the part that seperates us from the couch potatoes. There will always be days when things just don't work-and that's OK.  In fact, it's alot easier if you've been good about putting the workouts in on a regular basis.   Just my .02. 
2009-02-03 5:22 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Jeff, good advice, thank you. I am working on time to sleep. That has been an issue. I average 5-6 hours per night and am working on increasing that to 7. I have been tracking that. You are right. I do better when I schedule in my workouts. That is why my master swim class works so well. I have to be there at a certain time. Its a commitment.  Lets see, tonight I am going to do an hour of something from 7:30-8:30pm. Hopefully this works. I'll report back.

Edited by jogo 2009-02-03 5:23 AM
2009-02-03 1:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Everyone gave Jo great advice. It has to become part of your daily schedule. I used to be great at convincing myself I just didn't have the time to workout....now I plan each day's workout and put it on my to-do list. Doing a training plan last year when I first started helped me get in the habit.

And working on your sleep is VERY important. A rested body is a healthy body.

I'm switching preventative migraine meds over the next week, so my goal is just to fit in some kind of swim/bike/run. The only area I have to watch is the run (to much of a chance of passing out). The toddler has helped shorten the last two days of workouts- life just gets in the way sometimes.

Everyone take care!
2009-02-04 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

I need help from swimmers!

My swimming has gotten much better.  I can comfortably swim 400-500 yard repeats, and 2000 yards total (give or take).  I don't think that I'm a beginner anymore, but I definitely can't keep up with the masters group that I swim with.  Does anyone have a link or source for some detailed swim workout programs?  I'm following a structured running program, and I love it.  It keeps me on track, and I can see progress.  With cycling, I'm just keeping my legs spinning until I can get outside again.  I think that I'm at the point with my swimming that I need some structure in my workouts so that I can see/measure some real progress.

Matt

Edited by scout21 2009-02-04 6:59 PM
2009-02-04 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Matt, www.swimplan.com is really good for giving you a daily workout base on your own skill levels. 

2009-02-04 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1946284

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Thanks Jeff - I found that site right after I posted this.  Seems to be lots of shorter repeats.  Does that really help to build endurance?  Once I plugged in where I thought I am, the farthest repeat is 50 yards.  I guess this is similar to the c25k running program where you slowly build up?  I didn't play too much with the plans on that site...need to get to bed so I can get to the pool in the am.

Matt

2009-02-04 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1946302

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Matt, I'm a swimming newb, so I like to shorter/faster stuff.  Believe me, when you do 20 x 25 yrds with a quick rest between-you're tired at the end.  Also, I find I can focus more on my 'form' with the shorter stuff.  It's easy to look pretty when your plodding along, but when the pace ramps up-THAT is when the flaws in your swin start to come out.  I can always 'invent' a workout using longer distances (200-500 splits), but the shorter stuff was always tough for me. 

Are you a Performance member of BT?  If so, they provide you with specific workouts in the training plans.  Another thing I'll do is steal borrow someone else's swim plan for the day if it sounds like fun.  It looks like your swimming is really coming along well-Good Luck!

2009-02-05 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Matt, I make up my own workouts based on what I think I need.

You gotta keep the short stuff in there- it will help you focus on technique. The more time you are in the pool, the more endurance you will be build. But no endurance is enough if your form tires you out.

Keep in mind how long you have been swimming, and how far you have come- set a goal for yourself; if you are training for a specific length tri, focus on that; some of the swimmers in your masters group may be just swimmers, and are not conditioning their muscles to survive 3 grueling events in one race. Many triathletes list swimming as their weakest area and do nothing about it, choosing instead to slack on the swim and kick it on the bike and run. We see them all at our first few OWS, then they stop coming. You have a definite advantage in that you have worked on your swim this winter and improved greatly!

I'd find a site you like- either here (BT) or the one Jeff mentioned- try some of the workouts, then make up your own based on what you like from your masters workouts and what you have time for.

For me, I start with a quick 200 wu, then do some kick work. I try to alternate my workouts so if my focus is on technique one workout, I focus on distance another. Also, throw some time trials in there (every other week or once a month) so you can measure your improvement.
2009-02-05 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Thanks Anne and Jeff -

I guess I'll stick with the intermediate plan that I printed from swimplan.com for a while with an occasional swim with longer and fewer repeats thrown in.   Here's the workout that I did this morning, which took about 45 minutes, then I did some TI drills for 15 minutes.

4 x 50yd Freestyle Swim (even pace), rest 0:15 / 50yd
 Freestyle swim at a steady pace.

Build up (repeat 4 times)

1 x 25yd Streamline Kicking, rest 0:10 / 25yd
 Freestyle kick with arms held out front in a streamlined position. Fingers overlap with one thumb lightly gripping the opposite hand. Lift your chin above the water to breath without turning your head.
1 x 25yd Single Arm (arm by side) 6 x left, 6 x right, 6 x full stroke, rest 0:10 / 25yd
 Freestyle using one arm at a time, focusing on shoulder and hip rotation. Complete 6 arm strokes with the left arm followed by 6 strokes with the right arm. The non-stroking arm is held loosely by your side.

Core (repeat 2 times)

6 x 50yd Freestyle Swim, target time 01:05 / 50yd, rest 0:20 / 50yd
 Freestyle swim at a steady pace, trying to keep closely to the given target time for every 50yd. If your target time is too easy or too difficult please complete another time trial.
4 x 50yd Freestyle Swim, target time 01:05 / 50yd, rest 0:10 / 50yd
 Freestyle swim at a steady pace, trying to keep closely to the given target time for every 50yd. If your target time is too easy or too difficult please complete another time trial.
Rest 0:30 seconds

Warm down

1 x 100yd Freestyle Easy, rest 0:20 / 100yd
 Freestyle swim at a slow, relaxed pace.
1 x 100yd Easy Any Stroke, rest 0:20 / 100yd
 Swim your choice of stroke, at a slow, relaxed pace

Edited by scout21 2009-02-05 11:58 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23