BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-01-18 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1869304

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now)
speak of videos, which the cycling one is good. there is am hbo documentary showing i saw called Running the Sahara.  The same concept but these three guys run more than a marathon a day for 111 days.  Unreal! Those are some amazing people.

2009-01-18 9:33 PM

New user

Hey everyone, I hope training is going well!  I'm working at getting/staying back on track .

I have 2 questions...

1. When you're training in a pool (it's too cold to be outside), how do you bike or run after your swim?  It seems like I'd have to get out of the pool, and get dried off and dressed, which might take 10 - 15 minutes.  Does that make a difference? I know it'll be different on race day, but I'm just wondering about training, and what you all do.

2. Is there a good website for finding local triathlons?  I'm doing one that's a little over sprint distance (swim 800, bike 15 miles, run 4) in May, but I'd like to find a few more, and hopefully even a super sprint to try before May.  I'm from MN...

Thanks, and happy training!

2009-01-19 12:09 AM
in reply to: #1915560

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
ready2go - 2009-01-18 7:33 PM

Hey everyone, I hope training is going well!  I'm working at getting/staying back on track .

I have 2 questions...

1. When you're training in a pool (it's too cold to be outside), how do you bike or run after your swim?  It seems like I'd have to get out of the pool, and get dried off and dressed, which might take 10 - 15 minutes.  Does that make a difference? I know it'll be different on race day, but I'm just wondering about training, and what you all do.

2. Is there a good website for finding local triathlons?  I'm doing one that's a little over sprint distance (swim 800, bike 15 miles, run 4) in May, but I'd like to find a few more, and hopefully even a super sprint to try before May.  I'm from MN...

Thanks, and happy training!

I have not done the transition from water to bike yet.  I am planning on getting some tri shorts to wear when I get to working that in to my training sessions.

Check out this site for races:

http://www.active.com/

Results that I see if I search for Minnesota (looks like a lot of summer stuff?):

http://search.active.com/?tab=events&q=&start_date=&end_date=&l=minnesota&p=250&channel=Triathlon&mediatype=&int=&commit.x=35&commit.y=17

Edited by cjhild 2009-01-19 12:13 AM
2009-01-19 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1915724

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

trifind.com is pretty good with showing the majority of events in your area.

cjhild - do not wear your tri shorts in the pool!!  The majority of tri shorts are not chlorine resistant.  The chlorine does damage to the fibers and it will ruin them in about 5-10 visits.  You are from sunny CA so maybe you plan on doing them in open water anyway.  Just a tip from my bad experience. 

I have done 5 tri's and to be honest have never done a swim-bike brick workout except for race day, although have done several bike-run bricks (running directly off the bike).  I think if you are training for your first triathlon, 10-15 minutes is ok.  You just want to get a feel for race day and making that transition.

I would recommend practicing transitions by themselves as you get closer to the day but for now that seems ok.

2009-01-19 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
With the brick workout from the pool to bike or running, I will just take my time and change and go run or bike.  It works out good just because whether you wait 10 min or 2 min, you still have to make that change of using different muscles and changing paces.  I have found that it works just as good for preparing for the race day. Just my experience.
2009-01-19 5:27 PM

New user

That helps a lot - thanks for the responses.

2009-01-20 1:45 PM
in reply to: #1915883

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
cjhild - do not wear your tri shorts in the pool!!  The majority of tri shorts are not chlorine resistant.  The chlorine does damage to the fibers and it will ruin them in about 5-10 visits.  You are from sunny CA so maybe you plan on doing them in open water anyway.  Just a tip from my bad experience. 

I have done 5 tri's and to be honest have never done a swim-bike brick workout except for race day, although have done several bike-run bricks (running directly off the bike).  I think if you are training for your first triathlon, 10-15 minutes is ok.  You just want to get a feel for race day and making that transition.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I don't want to ruin my new shorts, ordered them today.  I was thinking about doing a run through session (run/bike/swim) before my mini tri in February.  What do you guys think, just stop my time after the run and bike to change into my swim clothes and then restart my time to see where I am at? 

2009-01-21 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1918462

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I will bite...we were getting down to the bottom anyway and needed a bump back up.

Justin - I think it is ok to do that...if you can do each one of the distances in each discipline as an individual workout then you should not have any issues on race day with finishing.  I did a run through a week prior for my first sprint triathlon just to see how everything was going to fit together and it worked out well.  I would not necessarily worry about the time unless you are shooting for a specific time goal on race day - just go by how you feel, especially if this is your first.  Hope that helps.

Ryan

2009-01-21 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1920549

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

Like you said, I just want to get a feel for how things might be on race day.  Thanks.

When you guys train in two different areas in one day (bike and run, swim and run, etc), do you normally have the second session immediately following the first or do you have them at separate times of the day (morning and night, morning and midday, etc)?  I typically do one right after the other, I was thinking about incorporating a run maybe at lunch time or something.  Just wondering about the positives and negatives of doing that.

2009-01-22 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1920668

User image

Regular
Miami Fl

Hi

Answering to your question. I normally do one workout per day, but also depending on my schedule and nutrition during the day some times two. Always after work ( It's so hard for me wake up so early). I don't know if this has any positive or negative I guess while you are training it's ok doing the workout in the morning or at night doesn't matter. For me it's working for my begginer level is fine. I felt good in my first tri. My recommendation.... be focus on swimming workouts.

Problaly Matt could have better answer.... he has more experience.

ANDRES 

Edited by ampryler 2009-01-23 7:32 AM
2009-01-22 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

hey everyone!! sorry I haven't been around (I'm getting ready to chang jobs so things have been CRAZY!)

While a run through of your event day may help to calm your fears, I don't feel it's completely necessary. A few bike-run bricks are always a good idea and so is practicing your transitions, I'll actually schedule workouts in that simply consist of doing my transitions for 30 - 45 mins once a week. The importance of training for a triathlon isn't necessarily each specific workout (unless you compete at an elite level), but more in the cumulative effect of all your training.

I'm a big supporter of mental training and imagery. Take some time to picture your event day, do a run through of the best possible scenario from start to finish. A smooth relaxed swim, a strong but comfortable bike and a solid run where you feel like you're gliding along. Do your best to remember these feelings and pull from them on race day. I typically use imagery throughout my training and racing. The night before a tough workout (and sometimes the morning of) I'll picture myself during the workout feeling strong, using good form/technique, and most of all enjoying myself.

If you do decide to do a run through, don't wear a watch. The clock is the last thing you should worry about, especially if it's your first event! 

2009-01-22 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1920668

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
cjhild - 2009-01-21 3:22 PM

Like you said, I just want to get a feel for how things might be on race day.  Thanks.

When you guys train in two different areas in one day (bike and run, swim and run, etc), do you normally have the second session immediately following the first or do you have them at separate times of the day (morning and night, morning and midday, etc)?  I typically do one right after the other, I was thinking about incorporating a run maybe at lunch time or something.  Just wondering about the positives and negatives of doing that.

I typically train twice a day, 5 days a week and once a day the other two (I'm on a long training cycle of 10 - 14 days before a rest day, yes it's strange but it seems to be working!). The only workouts I do in immediate succession are bike-run bricks and swimming followed by strength training.

If you do workouts back to back be sure you're fueling properly for the training. The only other thing that comes to mind is fatigue. By adding rest to your training schedule (even a few hours between a morning and afternoon workout) will allow your body to recover and perform stronger in your 2nd workout.

There's nothing wrong with breaking up your workouts between morning and evening, or some other arrangement. The benefit to brick workouts is getting used to the muscle change from biking to running.

If you do split your workouts, or workout later in the day pay close attention to your nutrition. This plays a major role in your ability to perform as well as recover. If you're training early in the morning pay attention to lunch and dinner the day before and be sure to get some fuel in your system prior to your workout.

Training once a day is perfectly fine! Don't feel like you have to log 20 hours a week to be a successful triathlete. My first season I only worked out once a day and things ended up great. We all have jobs, families, school, other commitments and priorities. Don't make triathlon work, keep it fun!

2009-01-23 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran

Swam my requirement for my tri class. Had to as many yards as possible in 12 min. 500 yards was the requirement. Ended up doing 600 so that made me happy.  

Have a great weekend everyone. Safe training.

2009-01-25 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Hey everyone - I will be in Jamaica all week for my honeymoon!!!  I will be getting some good ocean swims in while I am there and will update my logs when I get back.  NO more snow and cold....at least for a week.

Hope everyone has a good week of training.

2009-01-26 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1928047

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Hey everyone - I will be in Jamaica all week for my honeymoon!!!

SWEET!  Enjoy and congrats.

2009-01-26 9:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

I had a really fun ride on Saturday.  My goal was to get in about two hours of riding and enjoy being outdoors.  I was able to accomplish both.

2009-01-26 8:55 PM

User image

Regular
Miami Fl
Heyyy  Congratulations !!!!!
Welcome to the club !!!!! I hope you enjoy this week on Jamaica. Good luck with the new life !!! 
Be married is like be training all days to give 100% of you for the other person !!!
I know this feeling I'm married for 10 years now and I have a wonderful woman beside me.
See you soon !!!
                                 ANDRES
2009-01-27 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
rymac - 2009-01-25 5:14 PM

Hey everyone - I will be in Jamaica all week for my honeymoon!!!  I will be getting some good ocean swims in while I am there and will update my logs when I get back.  NO more snow and cold....at least for a week.

Hope everyone has a good week of training.

Travel safe and have fun!!! Congratulations!
2009-01-27 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
How's everyone been doing lately? Any updates on training break throughs, struggles, etc?
2009-01-27 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1931144

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

tri_sport19 - 2009-01-27 6:49 AMHow's everyone been doing lately? Any updates on training break throughs, struggles, etc?

Today was my second day of TI drills and I felt a lot more comfortable doing the first three drills on my back.  It is amazing how much a little improvement over your last session is so encouraging.  I also swam 200 yards without stopping for the first time.  I was pretty pumped.

I swim in an outdoor pool and at 5:00 am there are lots of stars out.  There are two 40' palm trees next to the pool, doing the drills on my back was awesome this morning.  There was some wind so the palm trees were swaying back and forth, just beautiful.  Saw a shooting star too, bonus.

Edited by cjhild 2009-01-27 9:02 AM
2009-01-27 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York

That sounds like my kind of pool!!

Great job on keeping up with the drills, they're going to make a huge difference and congratulations on the distance  =)

2009-01-28 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
I swam yesterday for about an hour, then went for a run at lunch.  At the end of my run my face was on fire, severe stinging sensation.  I have never had that.  I am guessing it is the chlorine from my morning swim.  I shower about 20 minutes after my swim.  I really scrubbed my face this morning and will continue to do so to see if that helps.  Anybody else ever experience this?  It was a drag.
2009-01-28 10:13 AM
in reply to: #1933224

User image

Veteran
Ya i know exactly what you are going through. I swim at a pool that the chlorine is in massive amounts. I have to wash in and lotion up because it gets so dry and burns in the cold and warm weather. I just recommend that you have some lotion and wash it afterwards, that should help a lot. 
2009-01-29 7:51 AM

Extreme Veteran
Western, Mass
Bronze member

I am finally getting back into training.  Just elliptical machine and trainer plus pushups and crunches.  I am on a reduced calorie diet plan and getting redy for my first race, a 10k 3/21.

My biggest performnce boost will be the weight loss.  I started the year at 288, and hope to finish the season sub 200.

I am starting the training keeping my HR sub 145 (higher Z3 for me) and retraining my body and mind for the season ahead

Readjusting to he trainer sucks.

My first tri will be 6/3.

Kevin

Edited by KML 2009-01-29 7:52 AM
2009-01-29 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1935172

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bethpage, New York
KML - 2009-01-29 8:51 AM

I am finally getting back into training.  Just elliptical machine and trainer plus pushups and crunches.  I am on a reduced calorie diet plan and getting redy for my first race, a 10k 3/21.

My biggest performnce boost will be the weight loss.  I started the year at 288, and hope to finish the season sub 200.

I am starting the training keeping my HR sub 145 (higher Z3 for me) and retraining my body and mind for the season ahead

Readjusting to he trainer sucks.

My first tri will be 6/3.

Kevin

Kevin,

It sounds like you've got a great plan in place! Stay focused on your goals and keep a detailed training log, that will help motivate you. keep us updated on your progress, go get'em Kevin!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri_sport19's Group - FULL (for now) Rss Feed  

of 9