BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-04-20 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2070412

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (FULL)
I would hazard to guess that we all have days when (1) we are too tired/sore to work out; (2) have too much going on in our personal life (*Work/home) to work out; (3) are too sick too work out; or (4) just don't feel like it.  All of these are normal and you can't beat yourself up for it.  Life is complicated and I'm hoping that we are all doing this for fun.  I know that most of us are probably type A personalities so it makes it hard for us to do something and not do it to the 10th degree,  but sometimes you just have to accept that this is a hobby and not kill yourself over a missed workout or two.

The key is that you can have these off days but you have to get back up and get in the fight.  I would suggest that you look at your training plan (I hope we all have some sort of a plan we are following).  See what today's workout is and try to get it done.  Do you best.  After that, come to this website, log your workout and include some notes on what went well and what didn't.  Then, set a goal that tomorrow you will do the same thing.  I think I read somewhere that it takes about 20 days for something to be an ingrained habit.  Keep going day by day and it will again become second nature for you.  Keep logging your workouts and notes so that we can help each other along the way.

2009-04-20 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2093232

User image

Master
gcoller - 2009-04-17 9:39 PM
Also:
I'm freaking out a bit and feeling really "equipment needy" What are wants and what are needs?  If I could have it all I would buy:
A new bike
A wet suit
A tri suit
compression shorts for running
a bike trainer
A gorgeous bike jersey (aren't they all? I mean seriously...I'm enamored)...maybe one with a cupcake on it?  I like pink. And cupcakes.
Yankz shoelaces
a fuel belt
sun-shaded goggles
Aero-bars
clipless pedals
biking shoes

What from this list do I really NEED by 6/21?

Here's my two cents:

A new bike - What are you riding now?  A new bike is always fun but not necessarily required.

A wet suit - Probably not necessary I've never worn one.  Once I start racing Olympic and beyond on a regular basis I will prbably get one.  If water temp is mid-60's up you can tough it out

A tri suit - BIG NECESSITY - get a two piece (tri jersey and tri shorts)

compression shorts for running - not necessary at all

a bike trainer - Can't recall if you live in Northern Latitudes.  If so, wait until fall/winter.  Great way to train indoors during the colder months

A gorgeous bike jersey (aren't they all? I mean seriously...I'm enamored)...maybe one with a cupcake on it?  I like pink. And cupcakes. - Not really necessary, but its always fun to share your personality through your bike jersey

Yankz shoelaces - not completely necessary, but cheap way to save seconds in transition.

a fuel belt - not necessary at shorter distance races, really mostly useful for longer training runs.  If I'm running 8 miles or more I'll typically wear my fuel belt to carry my hydration, otherwise I just carry a water bottle in my hand.  In races there is always hydration available.  I would recommend a race belt as a necessity to hold you bib number, you can safety pin agel to it if needed.

sun-shaded goggles - Never had an issue with glare, but if buying goggles for 1st time, why not.

Aero-bars - Not required for shorter distances, but good compromise if not buying tri bike.

clipless pedals - BIG NECESSITY - I can't imagine cycling without clipless pedals.

biking shoes - BIG NECESSITY - Goes with clipless pedals, keeps you from wasting energy while pedaling.

2009-04-20 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Thank you all SO much for the equipment feedback. Super useful.  My husband actually agreed to use some of our tax money to help me out with this and I wanted to know what I needed.  From your advice I can see that most importantly I need:

A two-piece tri suit ( a little worried about the shirt riding up on my mommy belly...)
CLIPLESS PEDALS and shoes!
A belt for my #
Maybe a wetsuit (more research for water temp needed...) I might rent one?

My bike is a hybrid that my mother gave me...I guess it's pretty old it's a Bridgestone Hybrid with a nice squishy seat and regular pedals and handlebars.  It's fine for pulling the bike trailer and I'm never worried about it getting stolen but I have my eye on a Felt bike.  I feel like even if I only ever do the two tri's I'm scheduled for this summer (as if!) I would have it as a good trainer to keep me fit through the winter.  I live in Shelburne Falls, MA on a mountain so it's snowy here for a long time.  I guess I've just settled on Felts cuz they seem a little more affordable and I saw a perty picture of one in Men's Health (my fav. magazine!).
2009-04-20 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2096390

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Terps421 - 2009-04-20 6:23 AM jwheat, take one day at a time.  Yesterday does not matter anymore.  Make some short term goals.  After you reach a few, reward yourself!  You can do what ever you tell yourself to do!

AMEN! That says a lot!  Same goes for nutrition (for those trying to drop weight).  You can't unring that bell, so move on... look at the present and to the future.  A training plan may help you see the purpose (especially if there is a race at the end).

We ALL struggle with various issues related to life and training... it is a tough balance!  We are here for you - motivational - questions - kick in the butt or a pat on the back!  That is what makes this mentor group thing a big asset to begiiners in this great sport!

Hang in there ~ keep the faith ~ stay positive ~ You can do it! ~ HAVE FUN with it!
2009-04-20 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2096924

User image

gcoller - 2009-04-20 10:01 AM Thank you all SO much for the equipment feedback. Super useful.  My husband actually agreed to use some of our tax money to help me out with this and I wanted to know what I needed.  From your advice I can see that most importantly I need:

A two-piece tri suit ( a little worried about the shirt riding up on my mommy belly...)
CLIPLESS PEDALS and shoes!
A belt for my #
Maybe a wetsuit (more research for water temp needed...) I might rent one?

My bike is a hybrid that my mother gave me...I guess it's pretty old it's a Bridgestone Hybrid with a nice squishy seat and regular pedals and handlebars.  It's fine for pulling the bike trailer and I'm never worried about it getting stolen but I have my eye on a Felt bike.  I feel like even if I only ever do the two tri's I'm scheduled for this summer (as if!) I would have it as a good trainer to keep me fit through the winter.  I live in Shelburne Falls, MA on a mountain so it's snowy here for a long time.  I guess I've just settled on Felts cuz they seem a little more affordable and I saw a perty picture of one in Men's Health (my fav. magazine!).

I had totally forgot about the race belt... definitely a cheap necessity!  Felt makes some great bikes... There are some other great affordable entry level bikes out there as well.  I know price is a driving factor for most if not all of us, but FIT is sooo important ~ as it is what will keep you riding it... Regular Road bike or Tri Bike?  I will just say that - a road bike is probably the better investment - as a tribike is much more limited (not great for group rides and if you happen to lose interest in Tri's you can ride it for other stuff)... There are some very inexspensive Women Specific bikes out there...  Do some research, try some out for feel, comfort... then take the plunge.
Good luck!  Even as adults... everyone loves getting a new bike!  The kid in us all!  
2009-04-20 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Completely agree on the Road Bike vs. Tri Bike question.  Road bike is much more practical and will ultimately get more use.  Tri bikes and group rides is a sport wide "no no".  I would bet that you'll use a road bike more.  Once you are firmly ingrained in the sport I would then suggest supplementing your bike invetory with a tri-bike.  I currently have a Mountain Bike and a Road Bike.  It's a toss up between a hybrid and tri-bike for my nest road bike.

Another solution may be to change the tires on the hybrid to more racing type tires and change the seat as well.  If the fit works I would go this route for now and maybe think about getting aero bars.  You can always take the seat and aero bars off and put them on the road bike you eventually get.  Just another of my two cents.

2009-04-20 3:15 PM

Regular
Plano, Tx

I don't even have a bike so anything is a step in a better direction. Right now I use a coworkers bike but he is 6'2 and I am 5'8 so even with the seat lowered it is a bad ride. I am borrowing his wifes bike and I will go from there and see if it rides better. I am going to be saving to buy a bike I figure with my savings, and my "christmas" gifts from people I can afford maybe 600 dollars worth of a bike, which with craigslist might get me something decent.

2009-04-20 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2097910

Regular
Newport Beach
I feel your pain.  I picked up a used Specialized Allez off of Craigs list over the weekend for $250.  Its in good condition and will suit my needs.  But, adding the pedals, shoes and a trainer (together, more money than I paid for the bike) is a tough pill to swallow.  But, at least its towards "being fit", and that makes it an easier sell to my wife
2009-04-20 3:22 PM

User image

Here is a reliable website for bike purchases / browsing.  I have two friends who have purchaced bikes from this site.  Very good quality, warranty, no problems with the products, shipping or customer service.  Had I not found my deal on Ebay when I did, I was about to pull the trigger on a bike here.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/

Edited by Tri_n_2_b_fast 2009-04-20 3:23 PM
2009-04-20 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2097936

Regular
Plano, Tx

How do you do fittings on bikes ordered from the net? Also do they let you exchange parts?

Edited by philz1982 2009-04-20 3:25 PM
2009-04-21 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I agree on the road vs. TT bike.  Road bikes are great, they are terrific for all uses, fast and you have your hands near the brakes for group riding.  TT bikes are special purpose only.  I have two great road bikes and my wife let me get a TT bike this year because 1) she loves me, 2) she knows that it will be used, 3) I build them up with friends so we get great bikes for discount prices 4) we know that whatever you spend on bikes this much is true - the bike is far cheaper than the first 30 minutes in the ambulance and the ER for a heart attack.  People ask, "How much did you spend on that bike?"  I say, "Far less than I would pay for an hour in ICU."  They never ask again.

As for fits on bikes you buy on the 'net, local bike shops will do it for a fee.  I've seen anywhere from $60 to $120.  Worth it.  I have to get on done on the TT bike.  Shoulder blades are very sore. 

Edited by IceManScott 2009-04-21 12:32 PM

2009-04-21 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2099374

User image

Master
Agree on the fit issue.  Support your local bike store (LBS).  The extra bucks you pay to ensure that you have a proper fit will pay huge dividends in the future.  You do not want to drop a ton of money on something you find out is uncomfortable at mile 15 of a 50 mile ride.

2009-04-21 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2099374

Regular
Plano, Tx
IceManScott - 2009-04-21 6:38 AM I agree on the road vs. TT bike.  Road bikes are great, they are terric for all uses, fast and you have your hands near the brakes for group riding.  TT bikes are special purpose only.  I ahve two great road bikes and my wife let me get a TT bike this year because 1) she loves me, 2) she knows that it will be used, 3) I build them up with friends so we get great bikes for discount prices 4) we know that whatever you spend on bikes this much is true - the bike is far cheaper than the first 30 minutes in the ambulance and the ER for a heart attack.  People ask, "How much did you spend on that bike?"  I say, "Far less than I would pay for an hour in ICU."  They never ask again.

As for fits on bikes you buy on the 'net, local bike shops will do it for a fee.  I've seen anywhere form $60 to $120.  Worth it.  I have to get on done on the TT bike.  Shoulder blades are very sore. 

I really liked your quote about the ICU I am gonna use that. :-)
2009-04-21 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2095233

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-04-19 12:32 PM
IceManScott - 2009-04-19 9:29 AM

Two questions

I think I saw it in a post here;  A quote.  Something like; "I do what other men won't do today so I can do what other men can't do tomorrow."

Anyone know what the quote is exactly and who said it? 

Going out to ride in the rain 3 hours.   "I do what other men won't do today..."

Great effort on the ride!  That will pay pay dividends for sure!

I actually have the/a (similar) quote in my sig line.  I saw it on Slowtwitch and liked it.  I have seen it on here several times as well.  Unfortunately, I do not know who is given credit for saying it.

Guys, I just realized why that quote sounded familiar - sounds like what I've heard from Dave Ramsey (the personal finance guy)

Live Like No One Else Today, So You Can Live Like No One Else Tomorrow

2009-04-21 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2097950

User image

philz1982 - 2009-04-20 3:25 PM

How do you do fittings on bikes ordered from the net? Also do they let you exchange parts?

I am not sure about individual parts.  If you get the bike and there is a defective part, I am certain they will repace it... but check with the on-line shop to make sure.

There is a size chart on many of the manfacturers websites, that will give you a starting point for bike size.  54cm, 56cm or Large/X-Large... order the bike, assemble it yourself and then visit the LBS, get a proper fit and a good once over (tune-up) and you should be good to go.  Just know, since money/cost is a huge factor... it is not unreasonable to expect to pay between $1000-1500 for a good new bike+pedals+shoes+fit+water bottle cages+water bottles+bento box (little storage box on top bar for gels/food)... a basic bike computer a real nice to have item (especially one with a cadence sensor = $40 {cateye brand})...but is not a necessity.  It can be a tough initial investment, but it is something that can last for years, and years, and years. 
I totally went used on bike and pedals, but it took me several months before I landed the deal I wanted.  there are great deals out there... patience, research, and a little luck is in order!

2009-04-21 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2099807

User image

Has countless applications... I knew there was a reason I liked the quote!  Inspiring!!!

roch1009 - 2009-04-21 10:58 AM

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-04-19 12:32 PM
IceManScott - 2009-04-19 9:29 AM

Two questions

I think I saw it in a post here;  A quote.  Something like; "I do what other men won't do today so I can do what other men can't do tomorrow."

Anyone know what the quote is exactly and who said it? 

Going out to ride in the rain 3 hours.   "I do what other men won't do today..."

Great effort on the ride!  That will pay pay dividends for sure!

I actually have the/a (similar) quote in my sig line.  I saw it on Slowtwitch and liked it.  I have seen it on here several times as well.  Unfortunately, I do not know who is given credit for saying it.

Guys, I just realized why that quote sounded familiar - sounds like what I've heard from Dave Ramsey (the personal finance guy)

Live Like No One Else Today, So You Can Live Like No One Else Tomorrow

2009-04-22 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
I think I have you all listed as "friends" now.  Feel free to view and comment.

I get to do bike drills AND run 7.5 miles tonight.  It's part of the training for the Lake Run on May 2.  It's 7.5 miles around a lake north of town.  I joined because 8 months ago I was doing a couch to 5K program.  Then I ran on an indoor track to build a 5K base during the winter and joined this club to stretch that out so I can do 6 miles in an Olympic tri on July 18.  My bike coach dropped me from 3X run to 2X a couple of months ago.  Doesn't seem to have hurt.  After this program ends tonight, I plan to run once or twice before the race and then get back into 5K and 10K runs 3X after word. 

Hope you all have a swell Earth Day.

Ice.
2009-04-22 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2101968

User image

Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
IceManScott - 2009-04-22 7:30 AM I think I have you all listed as "friends" now.  Feel free to view and comment.

I get to do bike drills AND run 7.5 miles tonight.  It's part of the training for the Lake Run on May 2.  It's 7.5 miles around a lake north of town.  I joined because 8 months ago I was doing a couch to 5K program.  Then I ran on an indoor track to build a 5K base during the winter and joined this club to stretch that out so I can do 6 miles in an Olympic tri on July 18.  My bike coach dropped me from 3X run to 2X a couple of months ago.  Doesn't seem to have hurt.  After this program ends tonight, I plan to run once or twice before the race and then get back into 5K and 10K runs 3X after word. 

Hope you all have a swell Earth Day.

Ice.

Happy Earth (hump) Day...

Iceman ~  I think it is fantastic that you have such a sound plan for the training.  It should have you ready for some great racing.  Good steady build, reduces the risk of injury, builds endurance, increases confidence ~ all which are the ingredients to some great FUN racing!

I am in a pseudo taper for my First Tri of this season... this not an "A" race for me, but I am super stoked to race again... November was my last TRI and I am soooo ready for that feeling again.  I am doing another local sprint the following weekend... which should be equally as fun.  It's a huge race here, very popular here and there will be a lot of people I know racing, so I am looking forward to the post-race hang out afterwards...

2009-04-22 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Have a blast!

2009-04-22 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2103189

User image

Veteran
I've looked at:
Trek bikes built specifically for woman and fitted by someone who I know through a close friend (road bike) and will hook me up with all the extras for 10% off $800 - $1,200 for a bike...

Felt bikes from a guy who will sell for less but I don't totally trust. Also looked at tri-gear there. Tempted by a new Felt bike for 500-$750 with flashy colors

Tomorrow I'm going with a pal who's had a good experience w/ a local new & used shop.  Husband is letting me use $1700 for tri gear this year!!! yay tax returns.

I have a migraine today but might be able to do some Wii Fit Coach training after I put my little girl to bed.  

Nice training, everyone! I'm so inspired by your plans, your adherence to those plans and also your quotes. We are lucky to have eachother.
2009-04-22 10:17 PM
in reply to: #2103775

User image

Veteran
I just registered for a Sprint Tri on....MAY 3, 2009!!!  It's a pool tri and I have to go to this event anyway to try on wetsuits (I live in the boonies so this was the only way...so why shouldn't I Tri while I'm there? Surprised  This will definitely be considered a "c" level race...especially since I'll prob. only have a matter of DAYS to get used to a new bike and clipless pedals.  This should be interesting....it's 300 Swim in a pool (I'm gonna bust that up!), 9 miles of bike (perrrrfect and 3.2 miles of running.  I just read a post from and 11-year-old so that's inspiring   I guess I need to make dern sure I have the equipment I need! I just ordered a two-piece tri suit through BT.  I considered not telling anyone about it but I need support from y'all.  So, now I have three tri's planned and it looks like I might have to cancel my half mary b/c of other commitments. I think I'm going to keep adding mileage though. Maybe my new goal will just be to train up to the 10-mile level. That would be awesome.  I look up to you, Terps

2009-04-23 6:31 AM
in reply to: #2104325

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Way to go Grace!!!

2009-04-23 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2104325

User image

gcoller - 2009-04-22 10:17 PM I just registered for a Sprint Tri on....MAY 3, 2009!!!  It's a pool tri and I have to go to this event anyway to try on wetsuits (I live in the boonies so this was the only way...so why shouldn't I Tri while I'm there? Surprised  This will definitely be considered a "c" level race...especially since I'll prob. only have a matter of DAYS to get used to a new bike and clipless pedals.  This should be interesting....it's 300 Swim in a pool (I'm gonna bust that up!), 9 miles of bike (perrrrfect and 3.2 miles of running.  I just read a post from and 11-year-old so that's inspiring   I guess I need to make dern sure I have the equipment I need! I just ordered a two-piece tri suit through BT.  I considered not telling anyone about it but I need support from y'all.  So, now I have three tri's planned and it looks like I might have to cancel my half mary b/c of other commitments. I think I'm going to keep adding mileage though. Maybe my new goal will just be to train up to the 10-mile level. That would be awesome.  I look up to you, Terps

That is AWESOME Grace!  "C" stands for Condfidence race... This is a great way to get your feet wet...pardon the pun.  The pool swim will eliminate the mass swim start (usually a TT style start - one person every 10 seconds type of start.  The bike ride on a plenty nice new super sleek, super smooth ride will be fun!  Have FUN!  Have FUN! Have FUN!
Way to reevaluate your goals and put things into perspective... Build up to 10 miles and a Half Marathon will follow easily after that.   BTW, I too look up to the milage that Linda puts in... She is an incredible runner!  Ultra-marathon kinda milage!   Good luck Grace ~ we will be here for ya ~ as you are for us! 
2009-04-23 10:37 AM

NW PA
Way to go Grace!
2009-04-23 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Grace, that's great.  I agree, C for confidence.  It's all a learning experience!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  

of 28