BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-04-29 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2113781

Subject: RE: The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go.
Hi Scott,

The coach I saw is a Triathlon coach for the University here in Regina.  The problem with my kicking is that I don't kick or kick very erratically.  The result is my butt and legs are sinking and I have a lot of drag because of this.  I'm trying to find the balance with kicking just enough to keep my butt and legs from sinking and not kicking to hard that I wear myself out for my bike and run.

I'll know more after this Sunday when I do my Sprint. 

2009-04-29 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2118352

Subject: RE: Motivation
Setting long term and short term goals and meeting them has helped me to stick with it.  For long bike or run workouts I use my Ipod.  One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten/read is to "write down your goals" and read them over on a regular basis.

2009-04-30 6:42 AM
in reply to: #2118352

User image

A cubicle in Jacksonville, FL
holt1997 - 2009-04-29 12:19 PM Here is a question for the group: What do you use for motivation during a workout or race? Do you have a fav saying, song or ??? DO you use visualization?

Scott,
Having not done a race yet, what currently motivates me is the challenge and excitement of completing my first one. During training, I also find that my MP3 player gets me thru the run. Monday I ran (I use that term loosely, as currently I'm in the 'walk 4 mins jog 3 mins mode') without it and I really did feel a difference. To me it seems much easier to silence the voices in my head telling me about pain and exhaustion when I'm listening to music.  And I've got to say that reading some of the articles here on BT has motivated me overall as well.
2009-04-30 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2119183

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
millk3 - 2009-04-29 2:15 PM

Hi Scott,

The coach I saw is a Triathlon coach for the University here in Regina.  The problem with my kicking is that I don't kick or kick very erratically.  The result is my butt and legs are sinking and I have a lot of drag because of this.  I'm trying to find the balance with kicking just enough to keep my butt and legs from sinking and not kicking to hard that I wear myself out for my bike and run.

I'll know more after this Sunday when I do my Sprint. 

You must be getting excited. Anything we can help with before sunday?
2009-04-30 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2119195

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
millk3 - 2009-04-29 2:19 PM

Setting long term and short term goals and meeting them has helped me to stick with it.  For long bike or run workouts I use my Ipod.  One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten/read is to "write down your goals" and read them over on a regular basis.

You are absolutely right. Goals are something we can focus on when things get difficult. I use short term ones to focus on during a race just to get me to the finish. Long term ones keep me motivated to get out the door to train every day. So what are some of your goals?
2009-04-30 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2120107

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
triat45 - 2009-04-30 4:42 AM

holt1997 - 2009-04-29 12:19 PM Here is a question for the group: What do you use for motivation during a workout or race? Do you have a fav saying, song or ??? DO you use visualization?

Scott,
Having not done a race yet, what currently motivates me is the challenge and excitement of completing my first one. During training, I also find that my MP3 player gets me thru the run. Monday I ran (I use that term loosely, as currently I'm in the 'walk 4 mins jog 3 mins mode') without it and I really did feel a difference. To me it seems much easier to silence the voices in my head telling me about pain and exhaustion when I'm listening to music.  And I've got to say that reading some of the articles here on BT has motivated me overall as well.

I have actually seen studies on the benefits of music while doing a workout. There are benefits. I am working on a nursing certification right now and one of the things we have learned is that distraction is a great anesthetic. I think music is just what this does. Good stuff. Throw in a couple of endorphins for good measure.

2009-04-30 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2120415

Perfect timing...

I've been wondering about a number of things.

1.  The first heat starts at 8:30am  (the swim is in the University Pool).  I'm likely in the first heat based on my time.  What time should I get there?
2.  What should I eat before and how far before should I eat?
3.  What should I have with me during the race for food or energy?
4.  I haven't paid attention to transitions yet - other than some reading on what to do - should I do some transition training? 

I'm already sensing that I'm a little uptight and anxious.  Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2009-04-30 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2120424

Goals 

Get my cholesterol under control - so I don't have to take any drugs.
Loosing body fat to help get my cholesterol under control. 
Loose body fat - by getting exercise, eating healthy and sleeping enough.

I needed to set a long range goal to keep me on track for the lifestyle change required for loosing body fat so the long range goal is
"to complete a triathlon by doing a Sprint then Olympic distances"

These are the goals I have right now.  I'm planning on adding more detail to them.  The one that I fight with the most is "getting enough sleep".  Work keeps getting in the way - need to pay the bills somehow. 
2009-04-30 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2120837

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
millk3 - 2009-04-30 8:51 AM

Perfect timing...

1.  The first heat starts at 8:30am  (the swim is in the University Pool).  I'm likely in the first heat based on my time.  What time should I get there?
4.  I haven't paid attention to transitions yet - other than some reading on what to do - should I do some transition training? 

I'm already sensing that I'm a little uptight and anxious.  Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Well lets take it one at a time.
1) I would start now with drinking electrolytes. I try to start about 4-5 days ahead of time with an extra bottle of gatorade per day. This just helps get your body prepped and well hydrated as well as getting the necessary electrolytes.

The morning of you want to eat three hours before the race just a small 300-400 calories of carbohydrates and protein. I usually just have a protein shake with added vitamins etc. After that just sip electrolytes. Be careful not to load yourself up. You want the blood going to muscles, not digestion. I also with less than 10 minutes (and that is important) before the start I take one gel and some water. Because of the changes that happen in your body when competing, this sends energy to your body quickly instead of it being stored as fat.

I get to races about 1.5 hours before the start. This gives me time to get checked in, body marked, get transition set up, warm up, get focused etc.

If this is a sprint distance then I would not worry about gels on the bike or run. I would take 1/2 a bottle of electrolytes on the bike and half of a bottle on the run. You may find you don't need them but I have run low on them before and it is similar to a stroke (very scary) so better safe than sorry.

I would definately practice transitions. People sometimes refer to transitions as the fourth discipline. You canmake up or spend a lot of time here. I assume since you are in a pool you don't have to worry about a wetsuit. If it were me I would wear tri shorts for the swim. Use your body glide for sensitive areas and when you get out of the pool just slip on bike shoes, helmet and sunglasses and head out. You'll dry off as you bike. Make sure you practice how you set up transition and I would even practice the actual practice of changing. I also put some bodyglide on the heel of my shoes so my wet foot slides in without difficulty. Otherwise putting on bike shoes can be very hard.

One other thing about transitions is remember to breathe. SOunds dumb but focus on using that time to take deeper breathes and move some oxygen. This helps keep me calm and able to change shoes without falling over.

As far as the anxious and uptight thing, I think a little is healthy but I would also spend time visualizing yourself during the event. How is your pacing going to look? How do you want to feel at the finish (completely spent or very upright and smiling etc. I go for the upright and smiling myself) Remember too that this is what you have been training for for yourself. I try to not worry about what others are doing or what kind of bike they have etc. I kow that on race day I am there for myself and thats that. I am not a pro and I am not getting paid. My paycheck is just the accomplishment of finishing.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions or want more specifics in an area (transition etc) Take time to check out your gear, oil your bike chain, check your helmet, shoes etc)

Have fun. This is what you have been trianing for.
Scott
2009-05-01 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2071252

User image

Scott (and everyone!),
One thing I thought worth mentioning was that since I hadn't done a race before, or even seen one in person, a friend (on BT) suggested volunteering at one prior to the race I was going to participate in. I found one that is being run here on May 16th, and volunteered to help out. We have a meeting tomorrow with the rest of the volunteers and the race captain, etc, and I look forward to seeing what 'race day' is like prior to my own first race day. I hope to achieve several things thru this, like: learn some of the unwritten 'ins and outs' of race day, see transition up close and in person (since volunteers can get closer/into the transition area and spectators can not) and hopefully remove or reduce some of the race day jitters that I'm sure will hit me on July 11th (my first race).
2009-05-01 1:24 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Triat45: I did that 2 or 3 weeks back. I wanted to watch the transitions most of all. The swim was interesting too as they sent the swimmers of one at a time of a short pier into the lake. I learned alot and think I will not be as nervous now. BTW: someone asked me to help them in the T1 transition and I told them that if I did they might be disqualified.

Millk3: Thanks for Garmin 305 heads up. I adjusted the display and can now see my heart rate!! Wink

Doug

2009-05-01 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2124082

User image

Doug- good call, I'll remember not to assist anyone other than ways specified by the race director! This is the same course I'm actually going to do for my first race, so I hope to gain a lot of insight. Also, since I dont have clipless pedals and bike shoes, I'm looking to see if other people will bike in running shoes and cages (as I most likely will) and then have a very quick and easy T2. I've also read about people attaching things to their 'spot' in the transition area (flags, for instance) to help them find their way back.
-Evan
2009-05-01 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2124082

Glad to help... It's taken me a while to get used to mine...Smile
2009-05-01 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2124155

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Evan:

I know one person here brings a colored plastic trashbag and ties it to the end of their bike row to make finding their rack easier. the rest of his rack mates seem to like it too. I saw quite a few people with no bike shoes and no rat-traps or clipless pedals. While it might make transition a little faster, the loss of power on the bike is too big. I think pedal and shoe technology is the biggest improvement in biking in the last 30 years. For your first race I would go with what you are comfortable with. Clipless pedals take some getting used to. Good luck!

Doug

triat45 - 2009-05-01 1:46 PM Doug- good call, I'll remember not to assist anyone other than ways specified by the race director! This is the same course I'm actually going to do for my first race, so I hope to gain a lot of insight. Also, since I dont have clipless pedals and bike shoes, I'm looking to see if other people will bike in running shoes and cages (as I most likely will) and then have a very quick and easy T2. I've also read about people attaching things to their 'spot' in the transition area (flags, for instance) to help them find their way back.
-Evan
2009-05-03 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2123864

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
triat45 - 2009-05-01 10:11 AM

Scott (and everyone!),
One thing I thought worth mentioning was that since I hadn't done a race before, or even seen one in person, a friend (on BT) suggested volunteering at one prior to the race I was going to participate in. I found one that is being run here on May 16th, and volunteered to help out. We have a meeting tomorrow with the rest of the volunteers and the race captain, etc, and I look forward to seeing what 'race day' is like prior to my own first race day. I hope to achieve several things thru this, like: learn some of the unwritten 'ins and outs' of race day, see transition up close and in person (since volunteers can get closer/into the transition area and spectators can not) and hopefully remove or reduce some of the race day jitters that I'm sure will hit me on July 11th (my first race).

Volunteering is a great idea! Not only do you get to see how things work but itis very motivational as well. Sometimes too you get cool shirts.
2009-05-03 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2120837

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
millk3 - 2009-04-30 8:51 AM

Perfect timing...

Thanks,

So how did it go? I am sure you did great. Anxious to hear the details.

2009-05-03 8:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
So how is training going for everyone? Whats going well? What needs some improving? Anything that you need help with?

Scott
2009-05-03 8:39 AM

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.
I have oto say right now that everything seems to be going really well.  I just finished the 4 week block of the Beginner Oly 2x training plan and I am feeling pretty good.  I love that fact that I am noticing some serious improvement and the weight keeps coming off. 

I think the best part is I am finally working out outside.  Getting some good biking and running miles in over the past few weeks.  It sure beats a tread mill or bike in the gym.

My only complaint so far is that I have to wait until the end of July to do my first tri. :-(
2009-05-03 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2126313

User image

Elite
Raleigh
holt1997 - 2009-05-03 8:31 AM So how is training going for everyone? Whats going well? What needs some improving? Anything that you need help with? Scott

I think things are going fine. I started working out 11 months ago and have progressed steadily. I have lost about 30% of my body weight. Having done that I am not following any program for a particular tri. I have a sprint in just over a month. I am thinking of this one as a sort of baseline tri. I have a 2nd one 6/28 that I consider a little more serious. So I am erying t focus my training on that one. It it wierd because each requires a little tapering. How does one taper for successive tris?
2009-05-03 11:35 PM

Subject: RE: How is training going?
It's going fantastic!

I just finished my first Sprint Tri.  Yeah!!  One for the books.  I did the times I thought I would 18 mins for swim I swam hard in the first half and ended up backing off for the second to catch my wind,  49 mins for the bike and 32 mins for the run.  I came in 20 out of 20 in my age group.  I'm happy, I've achieved a goal - I finished.

I've got an Olympic Tri on July 19th that I'm training for.  I plan on using the Sprint to Olympic bridge training program.  Based on my experience today I'm going to check out some swimming, biking and running clinics or coaching.  I now know what I can do and I believe training under a coach or with a group will help me a lot with technique.  I'm also to easy on myself and tend to slack off when there is no one there to keep me in check or to challenge me.

My goals for the Olympic are
1.  To finish strong
2.  To improve my times from the Sprint
3.  To have fun doing it

I'm thinking I might take tomorrow off, even through the schedule has me training.  My legs are telling me a rest is deserved after finishing the Sprint today.

Edited by millk3 2009-05-03 11:37 PM
2009-05-04 4:21 PM

User image

New York City
Training is going well.

Saturdays, I ride the 17 mile bike course for my June 20 Tri (Wyckoff, NJ) with the Glen Rock Tri Club. My pace and times have been improving, and at least now I can stay with some of the group. Last week I did 17 miles, and then an extra 10.

Sundays: Long run. I have been running outside and steadily increasing the distance. Last week, I ran for 90 minutes, which is the longest I have ever run. My pace is probably 9 1/2 mins per mile, so that was probably a little more than 9 miles. It was my longest run ever.

I try to get in a trainer workout and a short run during the week. I have not been so good at doing that. During the week is tough with work and commuting.

I have been trying to swim one night a week, and I have a question about that. The last two times I swam, I wound up scraping my right shoulder against my beard stubble. (I tend to favor breathing on my right). Sounds weird, I know, but it actually left a scrape on my shoulder. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what is causing me to do that. Am I not rotating my body enough? Am I not lifting my arm high enough?

Thanks.

Good luck all.

John

2009-05-04 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2126312

Went good for my first race.  I have lots to work on.  

My race report is below:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=157565

and my times are below (look for 83 - Kevin Miller)

http://www.resultscanada.com/results2009/2009_IceBreakerTriathlon/2009_IceBreakerTriathlon_Sprint_Overall.txt
2009-05-04 6:32 PM

Regular
Denver
Training is going pretty well, with the possible exception of swimming.  I actually thought I would get back into swimming pretty quickly, but it really hasn't happened.  I did 600 yds today at lunch and just do not feel smooth at all and end up needing to take breaks after about each 100 yds.  It took me about 15 minutes to do 500 yds.  I'm thinking about taking some lessons.

But, biking and running are going well.  I got a new bike a week ago and have been able to get out four times so far, riding between 12 and 21 miles.  I've signed up for the MS 150 (two days of 75 miles each) in late June.  My butt will definitely need to get ready for that one.
2009-05-06 7:15 AM

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.
Subject: Starting to get some knee pain :-(
I posted this in the main Triathlon Talk forum but thought I would post this for the group too.

Right now I am not a happy camper.  I have been at this religously for about the past 5 weeks (following the Oly 2x beginner plan from BT).  And before that I was just hitting the gym and pool as much as I could.

In the past week I have started to experience some dull pain just below my left knee cap.The right kne is totally fine. Nothing debilitating but i know it's there and I can feel it going up and down stairs.  When I run, bike or swim I really don't notice it much though.  I am worried that it is either runners knee or patellar tendonitis.

I'm bummed because I do not want to be sidelined right now.  Since I've been at this I've lost 31 pounds and still want to keep losing.  I'm in the best shape of my life (endurance wise) and really need to keep moving forward for my own sanity.  

I'm currently in the 1st week of the 2nd month of the training plan (all my logs are up to date).  The durations of my workouts have only increased by the customary 10% with the recovery week thrown in at the end of each 4 week period.  Oddly enough the pain only surfaced during the recovery week. 

I've been racking my head about what has changed with my routine in the past few weeks and this is all I could come up with.

1. Went to a true running store and had a gait analysis and ended up with a pair of Brook's Beasts (very nice).

2. Switched from running indoors on a treadmill to running outdoors on a running trail.  The trail is just simple fine gravel like you may find on a school track.  No paved surfaces.

3. Started biking outdoors (instead of at the gym) on my mountain bike with road slicks.  The bike shop who did the tune up said the bike may be a bit small for me (bike is a 17 year old Specialized Hardrock) but it should be ok.  I wanted to wait until after my first season of tris to start looking at a tri bike. 

4. I went from 284 pounds to 253 currently. Still drropping too :-)

Right now that's all i can think of.  I just don't want to be sidelined at all.  I want to keep the weight loss going and I really want to compete in tris.  My first isn't until July 26th though.

Like I said the pain isn't debilitating but does anyone have any suggestions?  See a sports ortho?  Try a patellar band?  Stop running? :-

Thanks for listening and any help / insight would be greatly appreciated.  
2009-05-06 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2133272

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Starting to get some knee pain :-(

My first thought is thr shoes. Trying running in your old shoes and see if the pain goes away. Running outside is different than on the treadmill. Don't kid yourself. The downhills can do a number on your legs if your not used to it. " Went to a true running store and had a gait analysis and ended up with a pair of Brook's Beasts (very nice).

2. Switched from running indoors on a treadmill to running outdoors on a running trail.  The trail is just simple fine gravel like you may find on a school track.  No paved surfaces."

Although I think the running is more likely the culprit, since you stated that your bike is a little small, try adjusting your seat height up a little. "3. Started biking outdoors (instead of at the gym) on my mountain bike with road slicks.  The bike shop who did the tune up said the bike may be a bit small for me (bike is a 17 year old Specialized Hardrock) but it should be ok.  I wanted to wait until after my first season of tris to start looking at a tri bike. "

This is awesome! I started at 285.2 and now weigh 199.6. I know how you feel about not wanting to stop. I took 10 months! "4. I went from 284 pounds to 253 currently. Still drropping too :-)"

If you make changes, make them 1 at a time. Otherwise it will be hard to pinpoint the cause. Finally, are you stretching at all? Do you cool down? Thes may help your problems. You have built a good base, jacking up everything at once could be the cause, or you may just need to make some adjustments as you have made a lot of changes to your routine.

Good luck and let us know how it is going.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  

of 10