BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-04-23 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2106548

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Subject: RE: RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL!
DenaRae - 2009-04-23 6:50 PMAny good tips on how to keep track of how many laps you've done? 

Good luck!  There's a finger lap counter you can buy:  Sportcount Lap Counter.  I found it at kiefer.com for about $30.

I can't count higher than 20 consistently so I switched to interval training after a while and started doing sets of shorter distances.

2009-04-23 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2081113

User image

Austin, Texas
Any suggestions how to deal with two overlapping training plans?  My half marathon is on 5/31 and my sprint tri is on 8/1.  The tri training plan overlaps the last two weeks of my half training plan.
2009-04-23 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2106499

Extreme Veteran
RunningJayhawk - As far as Yoga goes, I have a few videos at home that I try to incorporate whenever I can't get into a yoga studio (though it's been a while since I've done it). Two of them are Rodney Yee (Power Yoga and then Yoga for Athletes). There are a few others, one by Crunch and Yoga for Runners by Christine Feldsted. I think that incorporating gentle yoga is beneficial for any training, just make sure you don't overexert yourself in the beginning, especially if you have a race coming up soon. Another thing I'll toss out into the arena is something called "Triathilates" ...it's essentially pilates that focuses on the muscle groups most important to triathletes. I've taken a class with Coach Kelly before and it was both fun and tough.

Thanks for those suggestions. I think I had looked at the Yee series awhile back and also read good reviews on it. And very interesting "Triathilates"...I might pursue that down the road as well...I like the concept.

DenaRae - 2009-04-23 5:33 PM
roadrhino - 2009-04-23 2:08 PM 
Also, I'm interested in incorporating yoga into my training. I've never done yoga before. I'm a little handcuffed to resorting to videos because I can't justify paying a full-price gym membership to do their yoga classes twice a week. I would welcome any suggestions from all of you about yoga and recommendations for good at-home videos. At this point...2 weeks out...should I wait until I finish the upcoming tri before starting yoga or would it be ok to work it in now?

I've been enjoying the YOGAmazing video podcasts quite a bit.  The yoga for runners episode is the one I do the most, though I'm going to try the yoga for cyclists tonight for the first time since I finally got on my bike today.  I love that it's free (though after awhile episodes drop off iTunes, but you can still purchase old episodes from his site).  And it's great that I can do it anytime so it's easier to schedule it into my day.

Each episode is about 20-30 minutes long.  And Chaz, the instructor, often will give examples of how to do an easier position, or a more challenging one.  And he's super receptive to ideas for new episodes.  Earlier this week I suggested a yoga for fencers for my daughter, and he's already done recording it and it's going up this weekend. 

Working in yoga before your tri might be a nice things to do.  If you're tapering, you might feel antsy with your extra time and energy.  Yoga might help with that.  And the extra stretching would feel good.  Just take it slow, and don't push your body. 

Thanks for these suggestions. I've downloaded the podcasts and will give them a try soon. Since I'm on a bit of a budget right now, I like the "free" and $1.99" options! It will also give me a crash course in yoga before I go invest on some of the higher dollar DVDs.
2009-04-23 7:45 PM

User image

Regina, Sk
First off..Barb, I have no idea how you can keep all of this straight.  I am going dizzy just reading it all.  Good luck girl.

As for the article by Elizabeth WATERS...let me clarify before I start, I have three OLDER sisters, and my wife has TWO younger sisters.  I am surrounded by women!!  OK, not really (they all live elsewhere) but the point is in my experience men have just as many troubles with confidence as women.  Perhaps we hide it better or possibly the stereotypes take over and we are seen as stronger and more in control.  It may or may not be true.  I'm not sure how Nik feels but personally I struggle to find the confidence in myself more then once in a while.  Perhaps that is why I want to do this so bad.  I am tired of feeling tired and doubting myself.  Based on my resume you would think I had it all under control.  Well depending on the day you talked to me it would be true but there are a lot of days I wonder how I'm going to accomplish my goals.

I like the way Elizabeth talks, actually reminds me of you Barb, although she has more of a potty mouth and is more over the top.  None the less you both get to the point and although you are filled with compassion I believe that there is little time for those who don't try.  I can see that simply moving forward is considered a victory.  Elzabeth said herself there is first place and then there is everyone else.  Well if you are realistic about how you view that then I will not likely "win" this race so screw getting first place, I will do the very best that I can.  That is my personal victory.

Since I started this journey I think I look at things a little differently.  It isn't about looking cool or getting the best time, it is about being honest with myself.  I want to be a good role model for my boys and be the best that I can be.  Therefore, I must be that in all things I do.  Not "the" best but "my" best.

Wow, went off on a tangent there for a bit.  Apparently I have some things on my mind.  I hope you don't mind my diatribe, I have been thinking about my motivation lately and I keep seeing myself in my home town doing the 70.3 there.  The problem with that fantasy is it is about showing the people there that I can do it.  That is the wrong reason.  It should be (and is) about me doing what is good for me and mine.  If my Mom and cousins are impressed then great but it isn't about them it's about me.

Cheers,
Alan
2009-04-23 7:59 PM

Extreme Veteran

Edited by roadrhino 2009-04-23 8:02 PM
2009-04-23 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2106787

User image

Veteran

Elzabeth said herself there is first place and then there is everyone else.  Well if you are realistic about how you view that then I will not likely "win" this race so screw getting first place, I will do the very best that I can.  That is my personal victory.

Since I started this journey I think I look at things a little differently.  It isn't about looking cool or getting the best time, it is about being honest with myself.  I want to be a good role model for my boys and be the best that I can be.  Therefore, I must be that in all things I do.  Not "the" best but "my" best.

As an ex-coach I would agree that sometimes the famous Lombardi quote, "Winning isn't everything, it is the only thing" applies.  However, as I go through my journey training for the tri I realize winning is going to be defined differently for everyone.  There will be those competing who are there to cross the line first and anything less will be a failure (and I will admit that I would have been one of those a few years ago.)  As for me, I will have "won" the race if I obtain the goals that I have set for my first competition.  First and for most finish the race....I don't care if I kill over at the finish line as long as I finish.  Second, and this is a pride and competitive thing, do what ever it takes not to be last...second to last is fine, but not last.

As long as you reach the goals you have set for yourself then in my opinion you have won the battle.  Coming in first place would just be the icing on the cake!

Edited by hippotude 2009-04-24 1:43 PM

2009-04-23 8:30 PM
in reply to: #2106565

User image

Veteran
North Central WA

lovesreading - 2009-04-23 4:00 PM
DenaRae - 2009-04-23 6:50 PMAny good tips on how to keep track of how many laps you've done?

Good luck! There's a finger lap counter you can buy: Sportcount Lap Counter. I found it at kiefer.com for about $30.

I can't count higher than 20 consistently so I switched to interval training after a while and started doing sets of shorter distances.

I love my SportCount!  I start to lose count after 2.  Maybe 'cause it takes me so long to get across the pool.

2009-04-23 11:30 PM
in reply to: #2105813

User image

Expert
roadrhino - 2009-04-23 1:08 PM
Also, I'm interested in incorporating yoga into my training. I've never done yoga before. I'm a little handcuffed to resorting to videos because I can't justify paying a full-price gym membership to do their yoga classes twice a week. I would welcome any suggestions from all of you about yoga and recommendations for good at-home videos. At this point...2 weeks out...should I wait until I finish the upcoming tri before starting yoga or would it be ok to work it in now?

I'm all about the yoga, so I'd vote to start as soon as possible!  If you've never done it before, I'd opt for something a little gentler, as some forms of yoga are fairly muscular or aerobic. I think all the extra stretching really helps with keeping your muscles feeling fresh & minimizes soreness.  And also, yoga's just relaxing so that may also calm pre-race jitters Smile
2009-04-23 11:36 PM
in reply to: #2105862

User image

Expert
calimavs - 2009-04-23 1:24 PM Good morning all! I did a nice arm lifting workout last night and some stretching. Woke up today to my hip KILLING me with pain radiating down the rest of my leg. Spent the morning sitting in my cube at work with a bag of ice stuffed down my pants (nice, right?) and just called and got another doctor's appointment for tomorrow. Blah. I just want to be healed already! I really tried to ease back into activity this week but I guess that there is something more wrong with my hip than I thought. So I'm suspending all activity until I hear what the doc says tomorrow.

Margot - Argh, I hope it's nothing too serious! Frown  Feel better soon!

hippotude - 2009-04-23 1:40 PM
Because I was not mentally into it, I stuggled through the entire swim.  I found myself constantly talking myself out of quitting the entire time.  I was ready to wave the white flag and come back another day but I didn't and I pushed through.

Nik - Great job pushing through your swim workout!  I do that a lot with my running; the first mile or so I always want to quit, but then if I just suck it up and keep going, I'm good to go.  Sometimes it takes a while to get into the groove.
2009-04-23 11:47 PM
in reply to: #2106016

User image

Expert
Barb - thanks for the info about the pedals.  I'll look into it this weekend when I'm shopping for wetsuits.  If I get them, I should get them right away so I have time to practice using them. Btw, have you been to Mox Multisport on Randolph?  Two people have suggested it to me in the last 2 days (guy from the swim class yesterday & a girl from my track practice this evening), and they said it was better than Running Away or Get a Grip.

RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-23 2:26 PM
It looks like you got a great swim in yesterday even without the coach being there. Nice job on the 1500!!

Oh yeah, that swim surpised me again!  I set out to do the 1500m just to see if I could, and at the end I was able to pick up the pace the last 200m.  That's definitely the longest distance I've swum without stopping!  And I felt strong at the end; I probably could have gone longer if I didn't sprint the last little bit.

Also, I haven't forgotten about the Barrington map. It's completely MIA right now, so I've got an email into the old cycling coach for the team to see if he can resend me the cue sheet.

Whenever you can get it to me is fine.  I'm in no huge rush.  Thanks a bunch! Laughing
2009-04-24 9:27 AM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Good morning all and Happy Friday to you!  It's gorgeous here in Cincinnati - sunny, high of 80F.  I'd like to close the library and go play outside!

The antibiotic is already starting to work on the sinus infection.  I'm feeling much better already

The late night bike exercise  last night revved me up.  Then I stupidly stayed up and read until I couldn't keep my eyes open.  Ate a whole package of Pepperidge Farm cookies at midnight.  It's getting too easy to justify impulse purchases like those cookies by my training.  I have to limit junk food in the house to 'nilla wafers and graham crackers - stuff you can't pay me to eat.  My kids hate it. 

I cooked dinner this morning so that it's done and ready for the kids.  That frees me up to swim right after work - bag packed and in the trunk.

Every ride I can find for tomorrow morning conflicts with Elisabeth's (my freshman) swim practice.  The only afternoon Cincy Express rider is waaaaaaay faster than I am and doing a 3hr ride in the "hellish conditions" coming tomorrow --- again 80F and sunny.  Not sure what to do.  I don't feel ready yet to ride solo but I need road time not trainer time.  I can get to country roads (patchy cell coverage) or a limited access bike trail within a 1/2 hour.

What do you guys do about riding alone?  How do you get your road time?

2009-04-24 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2106361

User image

Expert
lovesreading - 2009-04-23 4:26 PM

Nutrition-wise, I'm pretty clueless.  I did eat some GU gels for the race though.

Current challenges:

Road fear.
Clipophobia - can't get my right foot out fast enough
sore hip muscles after every run - (saw the dr today, probably a technique issue, not bursitis)
altering a one-race training plan to fit a multi-race schedule
Filing my first race report

I think I have some of the same challenges as you!  I'm trying to figure out if I should tweak my diet now that I'm doing more endurance cardio.  I'm thinking I need to up my carb intake in general, but I'd have no clue how to go about my race day nutrition.  All those gels, gus, shakes, etc they sell just go over my head!

Regarding clipophobia - I'm pretty sure I'll have it too!  I've only ridden my bike twice since I bought it, and I was definitely shaky getting on and off (I'm fine during the actual ride, though).  Having my feet attached to the pedals might not have happy consequences at first, but if they're helpful, then I might as well bite the bullet and get them Surprised

I'm planning 3 races this year, and I'm trying to figure out how to alter my training plan, too (I'm kind of using the BT 2x Olympic plan as my base, but incorporating in group workouts with my gym & tri club).  I'm still trying to figure out how to do it.

EDIT: You posted this question while I was trying up my response to your previous post.  Since I don't have much to say on the subject, I'll just answer it here rather than making a completely new post.
lovesreading - 2009-04-24 9:27 AM

I'm lucky enough to live really close to the lake front bike path, so that's what I've been doing for my road time.  Unfortunately, on the weekends it gets really crowded, and it's just a really flat route, so I can't really practice riding fast or on hills.  I'm going to need to figure out other ways to get road time. 

I think I'm just going to have to resort to group rides out in the suburbs with the tri club, but I'd be totally dependent on people with cars who'd be willing to drive me & my bike out there with them.  I don't really have very many options since I live in the middle of the city and don't own a car Undecided

Edited by yogachic 2009-04-24 9:51 AM
2009-04-24 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2107649

User image

New user
Sandusky
Cheryl, just a question, where do you live in Cincinnati? I just moved from Cincinnati after living there for 3 years! I lived in the Mt. Lookout/Hyde Park area. I miss it!  Also, what library do you work at?  I am currently getting my masters in library science!  I volunteered for a few months at the main branch downtown mainly working on the Veterans History Project. 

I'm an intern right now in Sandusky OH at the Sandusky library. 

Back to the subject at hand- the weather is gorgeous in Norhern Ohio, but I can down with a nice spring cold, so I'm not sure how much I can exercise this weekend, what a bummer! I'm hoping everything will clear up today and tomorrow I can go for a run or a ride.
 I hope everyone has a great weekend!
2009-04-24 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2106361

User image

Expert
Chicago
lovesreading - 2009-04-23 4:26 PM

Name:  Cheryl Vasan / lovesreading

Story: I'm a 43yo married mom (kids aged 14, 13, 5, and 3).  My husband runs and is supportive of this new obsession of mine.  I also work fulltime as a children's librarian.

My freshman daughter inspired me to start lap swimming again last fall when she decided she wanted to join her school's swim team.  I swam in high school and did very occassional step and aerobics, but nothing else.  I've always hated hot, sweaty sports like running.  A bike wreck early college hospitalized me and made me very bike phobic.

Swimming went great.  I swam 3-5 times/week, starting at 500yds and working up to 2500yd workouts by January.  Then I discovered the joys of swimmer's shoulder.

A sports dr. put me into therapy and greatly reduced my yardage.  As a librarian, most of what I researched told me I'd volunteered for this tendonitis through overtraining and probably through poor technique.  I took a master's swim class that totally overhauled my stroke.  Swimming has changed bigtime since the 80s!!!

I still don't know how I got looking at triathlon sites.  Thank you, Google.

I know I was determined not to lose my hard-earned fitness and was looking into cross-training.  I found the Cincinnati One World Race where you get to swim in the Ohio River.  For some reason, this fired me up rather than horrified me and I started looking into training plans.  I found that sprint training could be done in just a little more time/week than I'd been swimming.  Then I found Cincy Express, our local multi-sport team and joined them online.

I ordered and read all the triathlon books I could find and started a plan for swimmers from My First Tri.  I Chose my first triathlon -- and, most importantly, told everyone that I was doing this so that I couldn't back out easily.  Fave book:  Slow, Fat Triathlete.

I switched plans to Gail Bernhart's 15 weeks to a Sprint for athletes of limited fitness - because I needed more running, more cycling and even less swimming.  I also did an indoor mini-sprint triathlon in February.

I'm bike phobic, terrified from my crash.  I'm also stubborn as hell and good at transforming that into perserverance.   Thank goodness for indoor trainers.  Pedalling in my gym shoes immediately made my toes go numb.  Our local tristore persuaded me that only stiff bike shoes would stop the numbness and that I might as well get clipless pedals as well.  This has focused my bike-phobia into clipophobia.  Falling over is my newest hobby and I've been "delighted" to find that I only bruise a leg on my bike  rather than crashing helmet-first into the ground.  I have however, seriously injured my dignity.  Then again, spandex, dignity all gone already...

Now I've done my first tri and met my personal goals.  I finished smiling and injury-free.  I didn't fall over stuck to my bike.  I finished under 2 hours, not last overall or in my agegroup.  I didn't walk during the 5K.

Current Training:  I'm using a training plan called "15 weeks to a faster sprint" from Training Plans for the Multi-sport Athlete by Gail Bernhart. I move the 6 days about to fit my weird library schedule with its nights and Saturdays.  Most of my workouts are before 7am or after 9:30pm due to work and family commitments.  My teenagers are getting much better at housework Laughing  I'm trying to join group rides weekly as my work schedule permits.  Not ready to be solo on a bike yet.

The plan assumes one A-level race at 15 weeks.  I'm doing about 1 sprint/month and have to figure out how I work those into a training schedule.

2008 Races:  None

2009 Races:  4/18 Miami University Sprint(indoor swim/hils/flat run)
                     5/      Ohio Challenge Sprint(Rudy Project)
                     7/      Caesar Creek Sprint
                     8/      East Fork Sprint

Weightloss:  I lost my postbaby fat last year with WeightWatchers (yay!).  I'm holding steady with sprint training, but am thrilled that my baby belly is gradually flattening.  If I'd known bike and run would do that, I would have started years ago!  This is definitely one of the reasons that my husband is so supportive.  Nutrition-wise, I'm pretty clueless.  I did eat some GU gels for the race though.

Current challenges:

Road fear.
Clipophobia - can't get my right foot out fast enough
sore hip muscles after every run - (saw the dr today, probably a technique issue, not bursitis)
altering a one-race training plan to fit a multi-race schedule
Filing my first race report

Hello again, Cheryl!! So glad to have you aboard and I love your stream of consciousness style of writing. It sounds like you have a great support system at home when it comes to triathlon training.

What kind of bike wreck did you have back in college if you don’t mind me asking? When I was in elementary school I was actually hit by a car while riding my bike…broke an arm, collarbone and severely destroyed my knee (I have a fairly large “battle scar” to this day). Like you, this has hindered my confidence when it comes to saddling up and getting on the bike. I can tell you that with continued time on the bike it does get easier (though I still find myself overly paranoid riding on busy streets from time to time).

I’m sorry that you found yourself with swimmers shoulder earlier this year. I take it you’re recovering well with cutting back on the pool time and focusing on other disciplines? Are you still working with Cincy Express?

Your LBS was onto something when they suggested cycling shoes for your numb toes. Typically this means you’re using the ball of your foot to push down on the pedal. After so much time and having the front part of your foot take the brunt of the weight when pedaling, they go all pins and needles. Riding clipless essentially trains you to pedal with even weight distribution on the whole foot and allows you to pull up your knees to gain momentum rather than push down to go forward. I’m glad your “crashing” has been minimal. Egos and dignity don’t stay bruised for too long luckily! And great job with your first tri!!

Sounds like you have things in line with the Gail Bernhart plan as well. And if you can get in on the group rides, you’ll find that they’ll push you in a good way to become a stronger cyclist. As far as your race calendar goes, it’s looking mighty impressive for this year! Have you thought about volunteering at any races this summer, too? I take it you’re from the Cincinnati area—you may want to consider volunteering at Ironman Louisville. I was there cheering my husband on last year and it’s an incredibly unique race. We had so much fun and the support on the course was incredible. If you ever want to be inspired beyond belief, I’d highly recommend volunteering to be a late night finish line catcher.

One thing we should address in the weeks to come is nutrition during and after training, as well as coming up with a race day fuel plan. And if you post the schedule I can certainly help you identify how to work in multiple races with what the training calls for.

I’m glad to have you aboard!!!

2009-04-24 12:48 PM
in reply to: #2106548

User image

Expert
Chicago
DenaRae - 2009-04-23 5:50 PM

I always stretch after every run.  But I'll try the calf raises and the ice.  I just finished my two highest mileage weeks, 30 miles each week.  That might have something to do with the shin. BTW, I know what kinds of stretches to do after a run, but what do you do after a ride?  Is it as important?  The stretching helps so much with how I feel the next day.  

I know it's been a couple years since my bike's been into the shop.  It's overdue.

The swim was fine.  I tried the first TI drill, but got all anxious being in a lap lane and moving so slowly.  I need to come back to the pool when there's an open swim time and I can get my husband to help a bit.  But I got 900 yards done.  So the felt good.  Any good tips on how to keep track of how many laps you've done? 

The high mileage, especially if you're not used to it, can definitely do a number on your legs until it becomes more of a 'norm.' I find I end up doing similar stretches after I ride since it's the same type of forward repetitive motion. I also as foot exercises since they can be a bit wonky when confined to cycling shoes. It's nice to give them a fuller range of motion.

DEFINITELY get your bike into the bike shop. I actually try to time mine with my dentist appointments...getting in the habit of 2 times a year is good for the "health" of your bike.

Glad to hear the swim was fine and it's normal that drills go so slowly. If you're doing the drills in a slower lane it shouldn't be a problem. Just let those in your lane know what you're up to and they may want to take a side rather than do a circle swim.

Someone already mentioned the lap counter which is what my husband uses and LOVES. I typically try to just ground my workout by sets. Like if I have an 800yard swim to do in my main set, I'll count it out as 2 400's or 4 200's...I also have an Ironman Timex watch (~$30 at Target) that has a lap counter feature on it so I just hit the split in between sets or laps. Also, check the lane ropes when you swim...sometimes there's some gap room where you can push one of the markers over with each lap/set...and sometimes each marker is colored half and half (like the top part is while and the bottom part is red) so you can just spin it over to the other color and keep count that way. Make sense?

2009-04-24 12:52 PM
in reply to: #2106576

User image

Expert
Chicago
DenaRae - 2009-04-23 6:06 PM

Any suggestions how to deal with two overlapping training plans?  My half marathon is on 5/31 and my sprint tri is on 8/1.  The tri training plan overlaps the last two weeks of my half training plan.

There's one of two ways that I would personally go about doing this...

Since you'll be in taper mode for your half marathon, you can start to incorporate the easy base swim and bike portions of the plan and keep the run schedule for your half marathon...

...or you could just keep on the half marathon plan and adjust the first few weeks of the tri schedule to accommodate the training.

2009-04-24 1:21 PM
in reply to: #2106787

User image

Expert
Chicago
boomer99 - 2009-04-23 7:45 PM

First off..Barb, I have no idea how you can keep all of this straight.  I am going dizzy just reading it all.  Good luck girl.

As for the article by Elizabeth WATERS...let me clarify before I start, I have three OLDER sisters, and my wife has TWO younger sisters.  I am surrounded by women!!  OK, not really (they all live elsewhere) but the point is in my experience men have just as many troubles with confidence as women.  Perhaps we hide it better or possibly the stereotypes take over and we are seen as stronger and more in control.  It may or may not be true.  I'm not sure how Nik feels but personally I struggle to find the confidence in myself more then once in a while.  Perhaps that is why I want to do this so bad.  I am tired of feeling tired and doubting myself.  Based on my resume you would think I had it all under control.  Well depending on the day you talked to me it would be true but there are a lot of days I wonder how I'm going to accomplish my goals.

I like the way Elizabeth talks, actually reminds me of you Barb, although she has more of a potty mouth and is more over the top.  None the less you both get to the point and although you are filled with compassion I believe that there is little time for those who don't try.  I can see that simply moving forward is considered a victory.  Elzabeth said herself there is first place and then there is everyone else.  Well if you are realistic about how you view that then I will not likely "win" this race so screw getting first place, I will do the very best that I can.  That is my personal victory.

Wow, went off on a tangent there for a bit.  Apparently I have some things on my mind.  I hope you don't mind my diatribe, I have been thinking about my motivation lately and I keep seeing myself in my home town doing the 70.3 there.  The problem with that fantasy is it is about showing the people there that I can do it.  That is the wrong reason.  It should be (and is) about me doing what is good for me and mine.  If my Mom and cousins are impressed then great but it isn't about them it's about me.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan...I'm sorry for the abundance of estrogen in your life...(i'm only half kidding when I say that!!)...

But you've hit the nail on the head. To really "succeed" at this sport (and I quote succeed because we all have individual ways of measuring success), it has to be because YOU want it...not because it is what your spouse or your siblings or your best friend's dog walker wants you to do.

No offense to anyone here, but I highly doubt anyone in our group is going to win a triathlon this year. As long as we each go out, give it 110% and leave it all on the race course, we know we can walk away having performed our best on that given day. That is our personal victory. The day may bring 100-degree temps and they run out of water and you get 3 flats and that's all before you realize you didn't bring socks to transition...and so just surviving the race and getting to the finish line may be all the victory you need.

Steve Prefontaine once said "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." And when it comes to training and performance, I don't think truer words have been spoken.

And I completely agree that men often battle the confidence bug, too...especially when trying something new. The fear of the unknown is enough to rattle anyone up a bit. Alan, I think that getting involved in triathlon is going to be an incredible thing for your children to witness and learn from. These races inspire people and who knows...they may try something new because of their dad...

You'll know when it's time to tackle that 70.3. Your heart will tell you. And you may not know that you can accomplish the distance until you're a mile away from the finish line on race day...but just trust in your hard work and the training to get you there.

Between now and your upcoming triathlon...really take some time to get to the root of WHY. What are your reasons for taking on triathlon? Is it to be healthy? To spend time with a loved one? Are you racing in honor or memory of another person? To try something new? To cross something off of your bucket list? You can have a dozen different reasons. But really pinpoint and hone in on what's the most important reason. On race day, your race can (and probably will) be filled with lots of highs...and lots of lows...especially when you begin to take on the longer distances. There may be a point in the race when the sun is beating down on you and you feel like you just can't put another foot in front of you...and you're going to ask yourself "Why the heck am I doing this?" ...and you d*mn well better know the answer. In situations like this, if you're able to call upon your WHY, it'll help you dig yourself out of the temporary dark spot and keep pushing yourself to the finish line. It's a very personal moment when you learn a lot about yourself and just how tough you really are.

For me, triathlon started out as something I could do with my husband. Along the way it turned into something very personal about discovering just how hard and how far I could push myself. I signed up for Ironman Arizona because point blank...I didn't know if I could do it. I want to see just how far I can push my body, my mind, my emotions and my spirit on November 22nd. My WHY is to simply see what I'm made of...deep down I believe I'm made of iron, but on that day it's up to me to prove it to myself.
2009-04-24 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2107163

User image

Expert
Chicago
yogachic - 2009-04-23 11:47 PM

Barb - thanks for the info about the pedals.  I'll look into it this weekend when I'm shopping for wetsuits.  If I get them, I should get them right away so I have time to practice using them. Btw, have you been to Mox Multisport on Randolph?  Two people have suggested it to me in the last 2 days (guy from the swim class yesterday & a girl from my track practice this evening), and they said it was better than Running Away or Get a Grip.

I didn't realize that Mox was open!! This is really exciting news. It used to be Mission Bay Multisport but it closed last year. I heard the original MBM owners bought it back and were going to reopen it as Mox Multisport. Assuming they have the same inventory, they're a great option to check out for a wetsuit. They had a ton of suits last year!
2009-04-24 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2108231

User image

Austin, Texas
RunningJayhawk - 2009-04-24 1:48 PM DEFINITELY get your bike into the bike shop. I actually try to time mine with my dentist appointments...getting in the habit of 2 times a year is good for the "health" of your bike. Glad to hear the swim was fine and it's normal that drills go so slowly. If you're doing the drills in a slower lane it shouldn't be a problem. Just let those in your lane know what you're up to and they may want to take a side rather than do a circle swim. Someone already mentioned the lap counter which is what my husband uses and LOVES. I typically try to just ground my workout by sets. Like if I have an 800yard swim to do in my main set, I'll count it out as 2 400's or 4 200's...I also have an Ironman Timex watch (~$30 at Target) that has a lap counter feature on it so I just hit the split in between sets or laps. Also, check the lane ropes when you swim...sometimes there's some gap room where you can push one of the markers over with each lap/set...and sometimes each marker is colored half and half (like the top part is while and the bottom part is red) so you can just spin it over to the other color and keep count that way. Make sense?

I'll be dropping my bike off for its appointment after my race tomorrow.  It'll be so good to get it in.

It dawned on my as I was lying in bed last night that I could use my Ironman Timex watch with its lap feature.  I was even wearing it in the pool yesterday.  Silly me.

It's warming up here.  Should be in the upper 80s through the weekend.  It'll be a great time to be outside.
2009-04-24 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2107649

User image

Expert
Chicago
lovesreading - 2009-04-24 9:27 AM

Good morning all and Happy Friday to you!  It's gorgeous here in Cincinnati - sunny, high of 80F.  I'd like to close the library and go play outside!

The antibiotic is already starting to work on the sinus infection.  I'm feeling much better already

The late night bike exercise  last night revved me up.  Then I stupidly stayed up and read until I couldn't keep my eyes open.  Ate a whole package of Pepperidge Farm cookies at midnight.  It's getting too easy to justify impulse purchases like those cookies by my training.  I have to limit junk food in the house to 'nilla wafers and graham crackers - stuff you can't pay me to eat.  My kids hate it. 

I cooked dinner this morning so that it's done and ready for the kids.  That frees me up to swim right after work - bag packed and in the trunk.

Every ride I can find for tomorrow morning conflicts with Elisabeth's (my freshman) swim practice.  The only afternoon Cincy Express rider is waaaaaaay faster than I am and doing a 3hr ride in the "hellish conditions" coming tomorrow --- again 80F and sunny.  Not sure what to do.  I don't feel ready yet to ride solo but I need road time not trainer time.  I can get to country roads (patchy cell coverage) or a limited access bike trail within a 1/2 hour.

I’m glad to hear the antibiotics are working for you! Spring is such a nutty season—it seems like everyone’s allergies and sinuses go haywire.

Lately whenever I find myself making a food decision after a workout I have to ask…am I eating to tri…or am I doing tri’s to eat? Sometimes it works and I make a healthy decision…other times, I polish off a frozen pizza on my own (eek!!). Now it’s my general rule of thumb that after a particularly long, strenuous workout or brick session I’ll splurge and eat something

Glad to hear you’re hitting the pool after work today—let us know how it goes!

If you’re nervous about riding by yourself on the road, you may want to find a loop close to home that you can do 2-3 times and check in whenever you pass through. It’ll allow you to refill water bottles, use the bathroom, etc. Regardless of whether you drive somewhere to country roads or find a route close to home, make sure someone in your family knows the path you’re taking and how long you think you’ll be gone just for safety reasons.

Another option is to find a supported group ride in the area. In the Chicagoland suburbs there’s usually a ride at least every other weekend put on by the area cycling clubs. Sometimes they’re free, sometimes you have to pay a small fee, but they’ll typically provide food, SAG support, a well-marked route and cue sheet. Since I live in the city, most of my riding is done on a trail that goes along Lake Michigan or on the trainer. If I’m riding on the roads, I’m driving out to the burbs (which happens a few times a month).
2009-04-24 2:16 PM

Veteran
Hi Everyone!

I have been busy and appoligize for not posting more. This is one of my goals. I am posting my work outs for the week too after I am done with this blog.

Right now I have regular pedals. I ride with the ball of my foot untill my legs get sore then I switch to either end of arch near the heel or sometimes the heeel itself for a short while and then switch back to the ball of the foot. It feels good, but is this safe?

My training is low right now, I am fighting an infection. I see doc next week, then in 2 weeks I go in for last test to see if it is out of my system.

I don't agree with the mentality of the very few who think race to finish first. It is the Majority of the people who race for personal reasons. It needs to be mostly yourself but it helps if you have friends and family doing the race with you. My sister is a huge motivator in my exploits.
Every other year we meet at the halfway point and do the Arizona 1/2 Rock and Roll Marathon.
It Is Great!!!!!!!!!

I am a very good swimmer and a terrible runner, it is someone I dated who talked me into my very first Tri - A super sprint. I really liked it a lot. Latter I did 2 sprint distance.

I LOVE IT!~!!!!!

The best feeling is the finish
The second best is when a racer or someone watching yells out Kind motivating words to you when you race.
The third best feeling is a week after you raced and you can brag to your friends and show them the finishers medal!

IT'S ALL GOOD

2009-04-24 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2107692

User image

Expert
Chicago
yogachic - 2009-04-24 9:43 AM
I'm lucky enough to live really close to the lake front bike path, so that's what I've been doing for my road time.  Unfortunately, on the weekends it gets really crowded, and it's just a really flat route, so I can't really practice riding fast or on hills.  I'm going to need to figure out other ways to get road time. 

I think I'm just going to have to resort to group rides out in the suburbs with the tri club, but I'd be totally dependent on people with cars who'd be willing to drive me & my bike out there with them.  I don't really have very many options since I live in the middle of the city and don't own a car Undecided

How far north are you starting? Generally the southern end of the path (south of McCormick Place) honestly isn't too crowded on the weekend mornings--at least not YET. I typically start at 63rd or 31st Street and do a handful of out and backs.

Other sections that don't get a lot of traffic....there's a loop that goes around Northerly Island that VERY few people know about (anytime I've gone there I'm the only one who's on that section of the path). It's great if you want to practice transitions. Also, there's a graduated incline by Soldier Field (on the LSD side) as well as a bit of a small hill on the south end of the path between 31st and 63rd streets you could do repeats on.

Which tri club are you with? I'm a member of CTC, but my buddy Jeff is an officer with Element Tri Club. Next time I'm headed to the burbs I'll let you know. We've got a 4-bike bike rack on our car. My thought is the more the merrier! Also, the metra allows something like 3 bikes per car...you just have to call ahead and make reservations. Though that's often a bit of a pain in the arse.
2009-04-24 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2108004

User image

Expert
Chicago
erin.kelsey - 2009-04-24 11:24 AM

Back to the subject at hand- the weather is gorgeous in Norhern Ohio, but I can down with a nice spring cold, so I'm not sure how much I can exercise this weekend, what a bummer! I'm hoping everything will clear up today and tomorrow I can go for a run or a ride.
 I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Oh bollocks! Rest up, girl. Take some airborne, bolster up on vitamin C and shake that junk right out!
2009-04-24 2:29 PM

User image

Veteran

Good Afternoon Everyone,Today has been a long day...but I am done to the last 20 minutes of my day at work and then I am free. As a teacher, I love Fridays.

Today is an extra day off (extra rest for the legs), but I will go back to work tomorrow with a bike/run brick.

Edited by hippotude 2009-04-24 2:30 PM
2009-04-24 3:03 PM
in reply to: #2108524

User image

Expert
Chicago
hippotude - 2009-04-24 2:29 PM

Good Afternoon Everyone,Today has been a long day...but I am done to the last 20 minutes of my day at work and then I am free. As a teacher, I love Fridays.

Today is an extra day off (extra rest for the legs), but I will go back to work tomorrow with a bike/run brick.

Enjoy the afternoon!! Any fun plans for tonight?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » RunningJayhawk's Mentor Nest - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 26