BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-05-22 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2168410

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - CLOSED!

ultrahip_00 - 2009-05-22 10:45 AM i  tend to use gels (2 to 3 per hour) and i have been using ensure (bought at grocery store, its a meal replacement drink), which i put 1.5 bottles of it in a water bottle, and then water it down (about 375 cals), and then also drink sports drinks.  obviously for something long, over 100 miles, you will need some solid foods.  i don't do many rides that long - but ive had clif bars and odwalla bars, and they work well. . whole food is a pain in the azz because it takes up space - try to get some calorie dense stuff, but stuff that won't hurt your stomach (snickers bars have worked for me, protein bars etc). 

I also like gels, and for me gel flasks are compact,clean and hold all of my nutrition.

This is what I was getting at by increasing your calories by using Ensure also, you may be careful in any kind of heat that may spoil it, same with anything that may melt.

2009-05-22 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2099961

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
ensure isn't dairy based - they sell it just on the shelf. . heat may have some effect, i guess i'll just throw some ice in it while i'm out i ride for 5 hrs MAX - and i don't like going that long. .
2009-05-25 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
So frustrated... planned on a leisurely rec ride after work with some friends.  Get into a downhill rock garden and my front wheel gets wedged in between two rocks and I'm over the bars.  Tore up my hand and bruised-abraised down my right side (shoulder-hip-quad).  Was planning on a big week of riding, now I don't know if I'll be able to ride or swim.

The funny part is I think have more mental anguish over missing training than the actual physical injuries.  Ever get this feeling?
2009-05-26 12:30 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
ouch, i hope you are alright! i know the feeling of being worried about missing training - just remember that you need to heal and get healthy.  skipping a couple workouts to heal quicker is definitely worth it in the long run, and in this/these sports - it is all about looking at the training over many months
2009-05-26 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Well, found out I can still run at least.  Hopefully, I can get back on the bike by the end of the week.

2009-05-28 9:51 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Subject: RE: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - RE-OPENED - JOIN TODAY!
Alright, any new comers who stop by - we need some more interaction here! come join and share secrets and other fun stuff!! 

how has everybody's week been?

2009-05-29 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Well... as we discussed, its been a tough week, but at least I'm still moving forward.  Did a real short swim yesterday in the pool then went out on my buddy's boat to do a little open water swim, just worked on sitting landmarks.

Mike, after your longer runs, do you ever experience stiffness in your ankles?  The morning after I ran the 10 miles, I didnt have pain, but both ankles were stiff to flexion.
2009-05-29 9:16 AM

User image

Modesto, California

Busy week so far, also lots of Graduation events to go to. I'm still nursing my injury while slowly getting back into swimming, I'm also experimenting with different strength training routines. Weather has been great, summer is here and things are going to get very busy.

Do you use a power meter Mike?

Along with better quality workouts, I'm going to be adding an additional training day for biking to increase milage, but getting a power meter may be the next area I may explore to add some bike speed.

2009-05-29 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
brick - i don't get stiffness in my ankles - more so i get tight calves and sore quads.  are you running on trails? i know when i started trail running - my ankles were sore because of the uneven terrain.  another thing to think about is the slope that you run on - for example if you always run on a bike lane on a road, the road is likely slightly inclined, so water will run off towards the curb.  this may not seem like a big deal, but it will stress your feet/muscles/bones differently then if it was completely flat - something to think about.

nevergivin -- i don't use a power meter.  my trainer (Tacx I-magic, kind of like a computrainer) does have power, but i mostly just look at the numbers and don't train by it (i don't ride the trainer enough to base my training on it).  i mostly go by HR and RPE. . mostly RPE.  i tend to do almost all workouts at a moderate difficulty - but since i've been working with a coach, i do a lot more intervals etc. 
2009-05-29 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2180928

User image

Modesto, California

ultrahip_00 - 2009-05-29 8:32 AM brick - i don't get stiffness in my ankles - more so i get tight calves and sore quads.  are you running on trails? i know when i started trail running - my ankles were sore because of the uneven terrain.  another thing to think about is the slope that you run on - for example if you always run on a bike lane on a road, the road is likely slightly inclined, so water will run off towards the curb.  this may not seem like a big deal, but it will stress your feet/muscles/bones differently then if it was completely flat - something to think about.

nevergivin -- i don't use a power meter.  my trainer (Tacx I-magic, kind of like a computrainer) does have power, but i mostly just look at the numbers and don't train by it (i don't ride the trainer enough to base my training on it).  i mostly go by HR and RPE. . mostly RPE.  i tend to do almost all workouts at a moderate difficulty - but since i've been working with a coach, i do a lot more intervals etc. 

So you base your intervals on heart rate zones, each interval you are trying to maintain or hit a certain heartrate range,rest and repeat, am I correct with this? What about your long bike, do you leave the heart rate monitor at home or do you still try to maintain a certain heartrate range ,or do you go by feel trying to cover zone 2?

Most of my long rides I do in a group, my heart rate varies depending on pace,stops,route with few or lots of hills,most of the time my heart rate is all over the place. Is this a bad way to train fo long rides or is it better to stay steady? Just curious.

Edited by nevergivin 2009-05-29 11:34 AM
2009-05-29 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
yeah, i try and do the intervals at certain heart rates - but it is tough - especially to hit the 85%+ HR zones - which for me is above 180 bpm. . my body needs to be pretty fresh to get my HR that high, and as of lately, my body is always fatigued so my muscles can't push me that hard. 
i typically do one ride where i do short (2 to 10 mins) intervals, pushing near 80-90% (attempting at least), and i do rest intervals between.  another ride will be longer intervals (15-30 mins) at 75% HR, and my long ride - i try to stay under 75% except i go above that while climbing.

during the long rides, my avg is usually around 150 bpm - or about 70% or so.  my HR zones are calculated based on some field testing where the max that i can hold for 30 mins is my 85% threshold. 

2009-05-29 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Speaking of trainers, do you guys have a recommendation for a good indoor trainer that will accomandate both a 26" and road wheel?  Sure would be nice to get some extra time in after my kids are down for the night.
2009-05-29 11:46 AM

User image

Modesto, California

You are too fast responding!

Most of my long rides I do in a group, my heart rate varies depending on pace,stops,route with few or lots of hills,most of the time my heart rate is all over the place. Is this a bad way to train fo long rides or is it better to stay steady? Just curious, I have never tried to maintain any rate.

I also do threshhold testing to get my heart rates, I feel lame though, my rates seem low compared to others, I hope this isnt bad, you can check my log if you want, those were from the last time I tested. 

2009-05-29 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2181147

User image

Modesto, California

brick94513 - 2009-05-29 9:45 AM Speaking of trainers, do you guys have a recommendation for a good indoor trainer that will accomandate both a 26" and road wheel?  Sure would be nice to get some extra time in after my kids are down for the night.

Not sure about a 26".  I use a Cycleops II fluid. 

I can say for sure that it has helped me manage my training with my daughter, she will do her homework while I pedal away, or we watch a movie together while I get my milage in,she is seven now and in a way it motivates her to exercise also. I use same skewers and tires, takes about six seconds to get my bike in and out. 

2009-05-29 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2180019

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
OK, Mike, can I join this group? 

STORY: I am a 48 year old American who's been living in Switzerland for more than 10 years.  I've been a runner-in-training in this alpine country for several years, but my running has gotten stale and plagued with injuries in the past 12 months.  Several friends have suggested cross training, but I need a goal.  So...here I am...planning and training for my first triathlon in August 2009.

FAMILY STATUS: Active mother of two
very active boys, ages 8 1/2 and nearly 7.

CURRENT TRAINING: I run every week with a group of mothers from my kids' school and then several other times with a friend.  But now that I'm training for a tri, I am planning 1 day each week for each discipline and am following one of the BT plans.  I can train 6 days a week, but worry about injuries, so I don't expect to train in two disciplines more than one day a week.  I am also including strength training - twice a week, if possible.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: The only race I've planned is the Uster International Triathlon, Uster, Switzerland, on 23 August.  If I like it (and survive), I'm sure I'll start looking for another one.  In addition, I'm registered for several 10k races this spring/summer.

WEIGHTLOSS: I run because I love good food and good wine, and we're living in the land of both.  Since I refuse to diet, I exercise, but I do keep a very healthy diet as a regular rule.  It would be great to lose some centimeters while I'm training, but I think the thing that would make me happiest is to see my body fat decrease.  According to my body fat scale, it's around 29%, BUT, I'm not overweight.  I'm sure the scale isn't the best way to measure, but it's what I've got.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR MENTORING: I'm totally motivated to do well in my first marathon.  However, I am a complete virgin and have so many questions.  I could use mentoring from this group because it's hard to find training programs here in English.  And...it would be great to start my tri experience with some new friends and some people to cheer me on.
2009-05-29 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
welcome fleet feet!  post lots of questions and advice .  that is cool that you are marathon training! i think triathlon is a great way to cross train and get in better shape!  i have yet to run a marathon but i have done (3) half marathon's. . and will someday do a marathon  

Brick, as far as a trainer - i'd probably just go with a cycleops or something of that nature - check out craigslist as you should be able to find something cheap this time of year.  i went with the VR type, and its alright, but now that i have a tv in my room, i just watch that .  it is nice if i want to get hills and stuff in, because i can ride a ihll course and the resistance will change accordingly - i can definitly get a better workout in. . but for $500 (which is what i paid), vs $200 for a normal trainer. . i haven't really used it enough to justify. . i just hate getting on the trainer!

2009-05-29 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2181300

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
You can tell running is my sport.  I didn't mean to say I was training for my first marathon...I've done two already.  I'm training for my first triathlon!!!  That's why I'm here.

Will post some questions soon.

Laura
2009-05-29 4:31 PM

User image

Modesto, California
2009-05-30 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Thanks guys, I was already leaning toward the Cycleops, but wasn't sure how much gadgetry I needed.  I think the fluid 2 would do just fine to get some extra spin in the evenings.  Now, I just need to find a deal!

Rest day!  I'm beat.  After missing that week in Santa Barbara, I was trying to make up my totals all at the end of the month.  Just not going to happen!
2009-05-30 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Guys, I've been looking at my approach to running and thinking about revising.  I found this article on marathon training and mileage build-up.  Obviously, this would be a long-term schedule, but looks doable at a consevative pace.  Mike and Laura, I sure you guys got something you can add.

http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/m_mile.html

2009-05-30 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2182850

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Brick -  Looks like a doable plan.  I have tried a lot of different plans and they all have their merits.  But I'm not a fast runner, just consistent.  If you want to go fast for the long distance, you will also need to build in some speed and tempo work.  I find that doing those on a treadmill is the best way because I don't get distracted by the birds singing, my iPod, talking to my running mates, whatever. 

Last year, I ran consistently about 175 km per month.  And I started developing injuries from the over-training.  We had a long, cold, snowy winter, so I just stopped running for 3 months to try to heal.  Unfortunately, I could NOT get back into a routine after the long break.  With a lot of encouragement from my expanding waistline, I got my shoes back on and went out there, but I only run 3 days per week this year, taking a full day off in between.  I use some kineseology techniques to activate my diaphragm, hamstrings and quads before I go out and I stretch lightly when I come in.  I usually run about 10 km each time.  I believe I've seen a difference in my middle distance running.

But marathon is brutal and I don't think I'll race any distance above 1/2 marathon in the future.  You really need a weekly build up of distance for the marathon, pushing yourself an extra 1-2 mile each week, and you need to do it slowly.  It doesn't seem like a lot, but when you get above 10 miles, you feel it.  Then cut yourself a break and taper two weeks before the race.

Hope that helps.

2009-05-30 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2183019

User image

Modesto, California

fleetfeet_ch - 2009-05-30 9:13 AM Brick -  Looks like a doable plan.  I have tried a lot of different plans and they all have their merits.  But I'm not a fast runner, just consistent.  If you want to go fast for the long distance, you will also need to build in some speed and tempo work.  I find that doing those on a treadmill is the best way because I don't get distracted by the birds singing, my iPod, talking to my running mates, whatever. 

Last year, I ran consistently about 175 km per month.  And I started developing injuries from the over-training.  We had a long, cold, snowy winter, so I just stopped running for 3 months to try to heal.  Unfortunately, I could NOT get back into a routine after the long break.  With a lot of encouragement from my expanding waistline, I got my shoes back on and went out there, but I only run 3 days per week this year, taking a full day off in between.  I use some kineseology techniques to activate my diaphragm, hamstrings and quads before I go out and I stretch lightly when I come in.  I usually run about 10 km each time.  I believe I've seen a difference in my middle distance running.

But marathon is brutal and I don't think I'll race any distance above 1/2 marathon in the future.  You really need a weekly build up of distance for the marathon, pushing yourself an extra 1-2 mile each week, and you need to do it slowly.  It doesn't seem like a lot, but when you get above 10 miles, you feel it.  Then cut yourself a break and taper two weeks before the race.

Hope that helps.

This is great advise, well said and more important it's spoken from experience. Tim, have you checked out Runners World Smart Coach, the workouts are more customized to your current pace and desired training intensity, I like it because I can modify it on the go.

2009-05-30 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2183072

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Agreed.  I use the free training plans and the Smart Coach a lot.  Runner's World is probably the best general information site for runners.  If you want something a little more fancy (but equally good), check out McMillan Running athttp://www.mcmillanrunning.com.  His race converter is the best!

Laura

2009-05-30 2:37 PM

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Subject: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Upset stomach plagues run
Hey coach...I wonder if you or someone else can help me with a nagging running problem.

I ran a little 8.2k race today as a training run.  For the fourth time in recent months, I have finished the race so nauseous that I have had to walk during the last kilometer.  I can't figure out what's causing this upset stomach, but it seems to be getting worse with time, not better.  I did not start the race like this, and barely took any water - just a swish around my mouth and a tiny swallow before spitting out the rest.  Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas?

2009-05-30 3:47 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
that marathon plan does look doable - although it is quite generic.  i agree with fleet that speed work is good once you have a base going.  i wouldn't do any speedwork for a while though, unless you already have a good base (i'd say 75+ miles/month), becasue it is really hard on your body. 

i think the best place for speedwork is the track. . i could not imagine doing it on the treadmill!  i really like group track workouts - if those are available.  if not, i do something like: 15 min WU, 200, 400, 800, 400, 200  each with 200 slow between - and then cool down for atleast 10-15 mins. 

Fleet - as far as your race - a couple thoughts:

did you eat beforehand?  how much and how long before?
did you run much harder then you are used to?  short races are supposed to be brutal, and i typically finish (most races), and practically fall over as soon as i cross the finish line.  then again, i go hard and try and leave it all out on the course, so to speak!  However, you don't want to go so hard that you can't finish w/o walking.  i would look back and consider what and when you ate and think about how hard you pushed your pace. 

also, was it hot?  have you been training much harder then usual lately? are you overly fatigued? i know all these things can have a HUGE effect, but it can be difficult to put your finger on it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again! Rss Feed  

of 19