BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2009-12-27 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2578449

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Full...

Some swim workouts:

1. Warm-up: 250swim
  2. 50x50 on 1min
  3. Cool-down 250swim

Total 3000yards

1. Warm-up: 200swim, 200 kick, 200 pull
  2. 9×50 on :55 3x(slow, med, fast)
  3. 6×75 15 seconds rest (50 drill, 25 build swim)
  4. 400 swim 1:00 rest,
  5. 300 swim :45 rest
  6. 200 swim :30 rest
  7. 100 swim :15?rest
  8. 4×50 ez 10 seconds rest

2,700 yards total

1. 200 swim, kick, pull, drill (800 total)
  2. 3×200 descend on base plus :10 (:10-20 SR on all swims)
  3. 3×100 descend on base plus :10
  4. 3?×50 descend on base plus :10
  5. Test Set: 10×100 on fastest interval possible
  6. 300 cool down.

3,150 total

1. 1×800 swim 1 minute rest
  2. 2×400 swim 45 seconds rest
  3. 4×200 swim 30 seconds rest
  4. 8×100 swim 20seconds rest
  5. 16×50 swim 10 seconds rest

Total of 5,000yards, each set should get faster. Optional 1minute extra rest between sets.

When I use the term base I assume you have done 1000yard TT swim. Your average per 100y during that set is base. So if it is 1:40, a set that is base plus :10 should be swam in 1:50.

Leave on 1min would mean you leave the wall at 1min. So if the repeat took 40s you get 20s of rest if it took 55s you get 5s rest.

Hopefully you find these helpful.

2009-12-27 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!

hi guys,

I have a question similar to Jennifers.

I'm looking for a training plan to start off with next week for my first race of 2010 in April. As you can see from my logs, I'm doing 2 workouts a week for run and bike, with about 30-40 min run workouts and an avg. of 60 mins on the bike (unless it's on the trainer).

All plans I've used in the past and looked at start with low volumes and build, back off, build, back off etc. I feel if I start with a plan like this, I'll drop off a bit in the bike and run by decreasing my time in both sports.

So, I think I'm going to create my own plan but I'm not really sure how to. Should I take my base workouts I'm doing now and increase those by 10% each week for 3 weeks, then back off a certain %, then build again in the 5th week by 10% from where I was in the 3rd week and so on? Start with a 30min run and a 45-60min bike?

This plan I'm going to create will most likely be a 3xrun, 3xbike, 2x swim, with 1 day of rest. I will also incorporate 2-3 days of strength training which will occur on my swim days and one other day. a breakdown of the perfect week will look like this:

Mon-rest or strength session
tues - AM - run, PM swim + strength
wed - bike
Thurs - AM - run, PM swim + strength
Fri - bike
Sat - long run
Sun - long bike

I would also like to use this plan to help me build my way into a plan for an OLY distance in Sept (my first OLY). The 2 workout sessions on Tues/Thurs will introduce me to this conept where I may add 1-2 more double days when I begin the OLY plan.

Any thoughts you guys have on this would be greatly appreciated - feel free to add to it, suggest, shoot it down - anything.  Especially when you think speedworkouts for running would be good to add in. My overall goal for thh sprint tri in April is to PR - and break 1:30 on the course used for the race (previous race was 1:35 with nasty headwinds on bike).

Thanks for the help!

2009-12-28 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2579267

User image

Elite

barelfly - 2009-12-27 7:24 PM

hi guys,

I have a question similar to Jennifers.

I'm looking for a training plan to start off with next week for my first race of 2010 in April. As you can see from my logs, I'm doing 2 workouts a week for run and bike, with about 30-40 min run workouts and an avg. of 60 mins on the bike (unless it's on the trainer).

All plans I've used in the past and looked at start with low volumes and build, back off, build, back off etc. I feel if I start with a plan like this, I'll drop off a bit in the bike and run by decreasing my time in both sports.

So, I think I'm going to create my own plan but I'm not really sure how to. Should I take my base workouts I'm doing now and increase those by 10% each week for 3 weeks, then back off a certain %, then build again in the 5th week by 10% from where I was in the 3rd week and so on? Start with a 30min run and a 45-60min bike?

This plan I'm going to create will most likely be a 3xrun, 3xbike, 2x swim, with 1 day of rest. I will also incorporate 2-3 days of strength training which will occur on my swim days and one other day. a breakdown of the perfect week will look like this:

Mon-rest or strength session
tues - AM - run, PM swim + strength
wed - bike
Thurs - AM - run, PM swim + strength
Fri - bike
Sat - long run
Sun - long bike

I would also like to use this plan to help me build my way into a plan for an OLY distance in Sept (my first OLY). The 2 workout sessions on Tues/Thurs will introduce me to this conept where I may add 1-2 more double days when I begin the OLY plan.

Any thoughts you guys have on this would be greatly appreciated - feel free to add to it, suggest, shoot it down - anything.  Especially when you think speedworkouts for running would be good to add in. My overall goal for thh sprint tri in April is to PR - and break 1:30 on the course used for the race (previous race was 1:35 with nasty headwinds on bike).

Thanks for the help!

I would suggest the rest day before your long stuff. Best to take that before and not after. After big workouts you want to relax, recover and still get around moving some. Take it or leave it with the strength training. That all depends on your goals. You could choose one of the BT plans, and modify it some. Just add on some extra time. Most of the plans will ramp up some.

2009-12-28 8:34 PM

User image

Elite

So what does everyone have planned and going on this week?

2009-12-28 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2581091

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm on vacation - so as many bike rides as I can get in before I get back to a plan next week.

The 25mile ride I did today, I'd like to do at least 2 more times before I head back home. And on the days I don't ride, I'll get in a 3.5-4.5 mile run.

the rest of the time - playing the Wii with the family and enjoying the final week of the decade!

how about you Aaron?
2009-12-29 7:48 AM

User image

NH
With everyone on vacation I'm doing my best to get in as much as possible, but missed yesterday.  I actually spent some of the day at the doctor since I woke up with a huge lump in my lower back.  Turned out to be just a cyst (never had one so it was weird) and they said it will either go away or we'll have it removed.

No big plans for the clan this week, but I have a few middle of the day trips with my boys to give momma a break.  Our vacation makes it her work week!

We're all going to a pool for a swim day so I'm finally getting into a pool for the first time in a long time later in the week too.

2009-12-29 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
This week, I'm hoping to get in a few runs outside (since I can run during daylight hours because I'm off work this week), continuing with Jorge's cycling (four sessions, including one long ride - 2:15 - 2:45 on the trainer) and trying to swim. I originally thought I could swim with the kids and found out last week that was ambitious at best so I'm trying to spend the time in the pool with the girls kicking/treading water alongside them as much as possible.

Otherwise, I have great plans for tidying up the house, getting organized in my office, updating my BT training plans/logs/blog,  doing some cooking and spending time with the whole family (while not rushing out to some activity/school/work/etc.)

It's funny to me that when I have a less regimented schedule (don't have to get up for work/school, etc) it is harder for me to fit in the workouts - even though theoretically I can work out at any time during the day. I do much better when I keep to a schedule. I need to remember this when setting up my training plan for the next six months.

Hope you all are having a great last week of the decade!

Jennifer
2009-12-29 3:03 PM

User image

NH
I totally agree Jennifer.  If I have all day free, I tend to think I have time later to do the workouts and they don't happen.  Especially when it's 10 with a gusting wind!
2009-12-30 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2582594

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2009-12-29 4:03 PM I totally agree Jennifer.  If I have all day free, I tend to think I have time later to do the workouts and they don't happen.  Especially when it's 10 with a gusting wind!

I try to knock them out as early as possible. Fallen into the same trip plenty of times.

2009-12-31 8:20 AM

User image

NH
Everyone - I have a soreness/pain question.  My Achilles started to let me know it's around last Sat. during the long run.  It's been ok in the day since then, but at the end of yesterday's run it started hurting a bit.  This morning it's pretty tender, but definitely improved.  I can't decide if it's just sore or actually hurting, if you know what I'm saying.

I was planning a run today (sort of making up for missing Monday), but I'm wondering if it would be better to totally rest today.  I really don't want to miss the long run Sat. if possible.

So should I try to run and see how it reacts, or just take the whole day off?
2009-12-31 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2585868

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warren,

time for rest buddy! I'm assuming that's what you wanted to hear, especially if you are wanting to run on Saturday.

I had an injury occur earlier in November - an ankle sprain somehow - that I knew if I didn't let it heal, I would be in trouble and miss out on my race in early December. Two weeks of no running, which killed me not being able to run, but it gave me thetime I needed to heal. It was still tender leading up to the race at times, but it was ok.

so - I hope that's what you wanted to hear. don't injure yourself, especially when you aren't training for anything in particular!  Get rest for the festivities later tonight

2009-12-31 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2585973

User image

NH
barelfly - 2009-12-31 9:52 AMWarren,

time for rest buddy! I'm assuming that's what you wanted to hear, especially if you are wanting to run on Saturday.

I had an injury occur earlier in November - an ankle sprain somehow - that I knew if I didn't let it heal, I would be in trouble and miss out on my race in early December. Two weeks of no running, which killed me not being able to run, but it gave me thetime I needed to heal. It was still tender leading up to the race at times, but it was ok.

so - I hope that's what you wanted to hear. don't injure yourself, especially when you aren't training for anything in particular!  Get rest for the festivities later tonight
Thanks. Actually I don't want to hear I need to rest, but I guess I figured it's the right thing! I'm too type A for the offseason. When you took time off, did you do anything? I'm now thinking I'll try biking/kettlebells and see if there's any pain. If not, I'll continue on but if there's anything going on I'll stop. I'm just a little afraid to take much time off and get into the lazy habit. If I do need to rest, I'll be counting on you guys to get me off my butt when the time is right. For tonight, we just hang out at home and have an"Iceland" New Year's celebration with my boys at 9!. Horns, hats, countdown, we just do it at 9. It's become a family tradition and we all love it.Happy New Year everyone!
2009-12-31 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
At first I thought the bottom of my foot was hurt - but the next day I went out and did a time trial on the race route. My foot felt fine during the ride. But later, it started hurting again. So I knew (with the encouragement from my wife) it was time to rest it.

the first week, I swam on my swim days. This was the only thing that didn't hurt my ankle and I used the pull buoy to limit the movement of my legs so I wouldn't kick. It killed me to be this inactive during the week, but I know it was the best thing to do.

As time went, the soreness went from bottom of foot to the outside of foot up to the ankle and above the ankle (this was over two weeks). I knew something was bad - so iced a few times a day and took advil.

The second week I think I may have biked easy just to spin the legs and swam. but no running.

I know it's hard to take the time off, but don't risk future activity for a run today or this weekend.
2009-12-31 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2585868

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2009-12-31 9:20 AM Everyone - I have a soreness/pain question.  My Achilles started to let me know it's around last Sat. during the long run.  It's been ok in the day since then, but at the end of yesterday's run it started hurting a bit.  This morning it's pretty tender, but definitely improved.  I can't decide if it's just sore or actually hurting, if you know what I'm saying.

I was planning a run today (sort of making up for missing Monday), but I'm wondering if it would be better to totally rest today.  I really don't want to miss the long run Sat. if possible.

So should I try to run and see how it reacts, or just take the whole day off?

I would rest. Fortuantely I have never had any achiles injuries, I would check out the following:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/196.shtml#tendinitis

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sportsmedicine/a/runninginjury.htm

Try Saturday at your regular pace, if you start hurting back off. Go at your own pace but dont completely lay around.

For example when I have rolled my ankle, I have been unable to run or swim but cycling has been fine. Sometimes I can swim but I would be limited to only pulling. I am all for keeping your fitness levels up. However rest.

2009-12-31 5:42 PM
in reply to: #2586267

User image

Elite

barelfly - 2009-12-31 11:27 AM At first I thought the bottom of my foot was hurt - but the next day I went out and did a time trial on the race route. My foot felt fine during the ride. But later, it started hurting again. So I knew (with the encouragement from my wife) it was time to rest it.

the first week, I swam on my swim days. This was the only thing that didn't hurt my ankle and I used the pull buoy to limit the movement of my legs so I wouldn't kick. It killed me to be this inactive during the week, but I know it was the best thing to do.

As time went, the soreness went from bottom of foot to the outside of foot up to the ankle and above the ankle (this was over two weeks). I knew something was bad - so iced a few times a day and took advil.

The second week I think I may have biked easy just to spin the legs and swam. but no running.

I know it's hard to take the time off, but don't risk future activity for a run today or this weekend.

All depends on the injury. I had to take a few weeks off rolling my ankle really bad 10months ago or. After that I rolled it again in the summer, but was fine 2-3 days later.  Take the rest you need.

2009-12-31 5:43 PM

User image

Elite

Hopefully everyone has a good New Years Eve and a safe one.

2009-12-31 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2587042

User image

NH
Thanks all. I think I will try some running, but I'll be quick to turn it down and walk or try biking. It's supposed to keep snowing so a run would be nice and slow and careful in any event. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Happy New Year. Stay safe if you're going out.
2009-12-31 7:24 PM
in reply to: #2578449

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
aarondavidson - 2009-12-26 5:41 PM

...more like 60calories per hour. Maybe 1000 calories for a real hard swim workout say 4000+yards in 1hour. Same with the bike unless you are  doing a 40k TT I would say 1000calories is pretty high.

Yipes...guess I was way way off. On the other hand, it sort of emphasizes my point even more. At 60 cal / hour, I'm replacing that with my post workout chocolate milk...so the weight loss I'm experiencing must be coming more from having a higher base metabolic rate, right?
2009-12-31 7:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Happy new year everyone...party safe! May all your aches and pains go away and your plans and dreams come to fruition!
2010-01-01 1:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
happy new year my group friends! here's to a healthy 2010! many miles biked, ran and swam!!!!!

and here's to starting 2010 off with a bang! I hope everyone is able to be active to start the year off! I believe what you do to start the year is how you will complete the year!

have fun
2010-01-01 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2587173

User image

NH
bfoyle - 2009-12-31 8:24 PM

...more like 60calories per hour. Maybe 1000 calories for a real hard swim workout say 4000+yards in 1hour. Same with the bike unless you are  doing a 40k TT I would say 1000calories is pretty high.

Yipes...guess I was way way off. On the other hand, it sort of emphasizes my point even more. At 60 cal / hour, I'm replacing that with my post workout chocolate milk...so the weight loss I'm experiencing must be coming more from having a higher base metabolic rate, right?

I think he meant 600.  1000 calories an hour is a serious workout pace.  We can work at that pace, but it's pretty hard to keep it up for an hour.

Base metabolism is typically the key to long term fat loss.  Keeping your body burning calories efficiently 24 hours a day yields great results.  When you eat which foods, intensity and consistency of workouts, amount of lean body mass, and genetics all play roles in how many calories your body burns at rest.

A really intense muscular workout can raise base metabolism pretty significantly for 24-36 hours after the workout.  This is why weight training is usually recommended for real fat loss.  However, the amount of time we spend working out (albeit a "low" intensity in relation to hard core weight lifting regimens) does burn a lot of calories.  If you train 10 hours a week at 500 cals/hour, that is still 5000 calories.  3500 is a pound of fat, so that's a lot of calorie deficit over time.

Keep in mind that it is unusual for anyone to lose more fat than 1-1.5% of their body weight in a week.  It's always best to go slow in terms of calorie deficit because the human body is amazing at adaptation, and when you cut calories too much your body interprets that as starvation and goes into conservation mode.  This then requires even more calorie cutting to maintain fat loss, which results in more starvation reaction, etc. 

Go for a small calorie cut for a long period, eat more from the outside of the grocery store, cycle in some "cheat" meals to keep your body (and mind) happy, and keep training consistently.

2010-01-01 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2587173

User image

Elite

I meant 600. As you become fitter and more efficient you burn 'less.'  Hence going longer/harder to lose weight if that is your goal.

2010-01-01 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2587457

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-01-01 9:08 AM

I think he meant 600.  1000 calories an hour is a serious workout pace.  We can work at that pace, but it's pretty hard to keep it up for an hour.

Base metabolism is typically the key to long term fat loss.  Keeping your body burning calories efficiently 24 hours a day yields great results.  When you eat which foods, intensity and consistency of workouts, amount of lean body mass, and genetics all play roles in how many calories your body burns at rest.

A really intense muscular workout can raise base metabolism pretty significantly for 24-36 hours after the workout.  This is why weight training is usually recommended for real fat loss.  However, the amount of time we spend working out (albeit a "low" intensity in relation to hard core weight lifting regimens) does burn a lot of calories.  If you train 10 hours a week at 500 cals/hour, that is still 5000 calories.  3500 is a pound of fat, so that's a lot of calorie deficit over time.

Traditional thought is that weight training raises metabolism for up 48hours vs 24hours on cardio. This is because in many cases you have broken down a greater percentage of overall muscle mass and your body needs more time/calories/energy/effort to rebuild.

I am currently reading Racing Weight, lots of good info and reinforcement. I say this after consuming a 5000 calorie breakfast as well. Enjoy 2010.

2010-01-02 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Happy New Year!  I hope you all enjoyed your holidays.  I certainly have.  I got a couple workouts in over the past 2 weeks, but didn't expect to do much.  I took some time to put together my training calendar for 2010.  As I've mentioned previously, the focus of my tri season will be the Syracuse Ironman 70.3 on Sept 19th.  Leading up to that, I have 2 Olympic distances in late June and mid August plus a sprint distance in late May.  I used the 20-week HIM training program from this site as my "base plan"...
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=52

I altered it to allow for a small taper prior to each Olympic distance tri.  So laying that plan out on the calendar has me starting that 20 week program on April 26th.  Now the question is, what to do between now and April 26th.  I thought about taking one of the 20-week Olympic distance training programs from this site and just placing it on the calendar so when it ends, this 20-week HIM program starts.  Does that make sense?  Or, should I just be building base by doing a few bike, run, swim workouts each week until the 20 week HIM program starts.

The issue I see is that at the start of the HIM training program, the workouts are pretty easy and something I think I could easily accomplish now (40-60 minute runs, 40-60 minute bike, 30-40 min swim).  I want to make sure I peak at the right time (September 19th), but I also want to be very strong for the two Olympic distance events.  

What is my ultimate goal?  When I did my first HIM this past September, I finished in 6:45.  My goal is to take at least 45 minutes off that time.  Also, the two Olmpic races I did this past year I finished in just over 3 hours (3:07 and 3:09, I think).  I'd like to take a good 20 minutes off those times.  Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Bill
2010-01-02 12:08 PM
in reply to: #2589110

User image

NH
Bill - I'm in the exact same boat and looking at the same issues.  My HIM is the week before yours, so we'll have to keep in touch.

I'm planning to spend the time between now and April trying to work on my weakness (running) and not totally lose everything else.  I'm planning a half marathon April 11 just to have a goal to work towards.

The plan is to get up to running 4-5 times times per week with one long one, and keep the biking at 2 or 3 and swim when I can, which is working out to very infrequently.  For now, all my runs are supposed to be at a reasonable pace (marathon pace) with a few faster (but not really hard) 6-8 minute intervals during the long run.  I'm trying to do 2 Jorge bike workouts and one easier workout if possible.

I'm not sure this is the right idea for everyone, but my coach knows my capabilities and has suggested doing it this way and we recalibrate every few weeks.

We haven't really decided on the race prep training plan, but the BT plan you linked to seems good to me.  I agree that the first few weeks seem pretty low key but that might be the ideal way to start out.

I have one question for everyone about these plans - almost all the plans I've seen seem to have a LOT of swimming in relation to to bike/run given that the swim is such a small pct. of the time of the race.  Why is that?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76