BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2009-12-20 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2569760

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: RE: nevergivin's group (Closed)
ransick - 2009-12-20 10:22 AM What are pullovers and superman?

pullovers

superman

2009-12-20 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2569763

User image

Modesto, California
ThePassionDiva - 2009-12-20 10:27 AM I haven't really even thought about handling crowds...  in any of the sections

is this a big issue?

In general what are the thoughts on joining a club (if you have one in the area), does it help with training, or support, etc?

Not an issue for triathlons, although the drill does have many benefits regarding balance. Clubs are awesome ways to
get involved in goup or partner training, masters swimming, run clubs, bike clubs,triathlon clubs. As you can see they offer seminars and lectures regarding training, offer uniforms, group discounts at local stores as well as race entry dicounts. I have found the benefits far outweigh the cost of joining. Just to give you an idea of what I will spend annualy
Bike Club $45.00
Bike Race team $125.00
Run Club $25.00
Masters swimming $38.00 monthly
USAT membership $39.00
USAC membership $60.00

All race entry fees for me run between $500.00-$1000.00 annualy, the longer the race the more expensive it is.

2009-12-20 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2556071

User image

Master
St. Louis
I think I'm going to go with a road bike like this one http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/2_series/21/ .  The bike store guy talked me out of a tri bike.

2009-12-20 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2569935

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
ransick - 2009-12-20 4:07 PM I think I'm going to go with a road bike like this one http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/2_series/21/ .  The bike store guy talked me out of a tri bike.

My boyfriend and I both have the 2.1 and we love them.  For me it was the only bike that came in a small enough size (43).  Two guys from two different shops talked me out of starting with a tri bike too.  I think it was for the best.
2009-12-20 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2569839

User image

kelowna
nevergivin - 2009-12-20 11:28 AM
ThePassionDiva - 2009-12-20 10:27 AM I haven't really even thought about handling crowds...  in any of the sections

is this a big issue?

In general what are the thoughts on joining a club (if you have one in the area), does it help with training, or support, etc?

Not an issue for triathlons, although the drill does have many benefits regarding balance. Clubs are awesome ways to
get involved in goup or partner training, masters swimming, run clubs, bike clubs,triathlon clubs. As you can see they offer seminars and lectures regarding training, offer uniforms, group discounts at local stores as well as race entry dicounts. I have found the benefits far outweigh the cost of joining. Just to give you an idea of what I will spend annualy
Bike Club $45.00
Bike Race team $125.00
Run Club $25.00
Masters swimming $38.00 monthly
USAT membership $39.00
USAC membership $60.00

All race entry fees for me run between $500.00-$1000.00 annualy, the longer the race the more expensive it is.

Thanks for all the info nevergivin I'll check out the clubs in my area.  I know there are a few since I see them running and biking around my neighborhood!
2009-12-20 10:30 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Stuart,

The 2010 Trek 2.1 is $1400 at my LBS.  There is a 2007 TREK 1600 SLR near me on Craig's list for $900.  What do you think?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/1498351466.html

2009-12-21 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2570427

User image

Modesto, California
ransick - 2009-12-20 8:30 PM

Stuart,

The 2010 Trek 2.1 is $1400 at my LBS.  There is a 2007 TREK 1600 SLR near me on Craig's list for $900.  What do you think?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/1498351466.html

Just my opinion because I have not rode either:
Madone 2.1 pros-comes with option of compact crank, probably rides smoother than 1600,some things are nicer(stem,seatpost,bars,etc),light,12/27 cassette
                   cons-wheels(I dont care for 650's)
1600 SLR Pros-Good price,good wheels,good condition,broke in, good entry level bike,ultegra rear derailer
                cons-Triple crank,weight
it sounds like maybe you have ridden the Madone already, I would try to ride the 1600 SLR and compare them, then maybe be prepared to offer a little less.

Edited by nevergivin 2009-12-21 6:47 AM
2009-12-21 7:56 AM

User image

Morning Fellas and Ladies,

I love the look of that 2.1!!!! I have an entry level Marin Porto Fino. It is good enough for me right now, had to upgrade the rear wheel. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be buying a mid level bike right now. This year i went to a Giant try it day and they let me ride there $3000 Carbon bike, what a mistake, i feel in love with how solid it felt.

But for now i will hang with my Aluminum. I promised myself i wouldnt upgrade until i can hold 22-25mph range for a couple of hours.

I WILL get back to you on the running form but right now i am still testing it. I did manage 2 miles in 17:34 yesterday (was trying to hit my daughters milatery standerd of 15min 2miles for the men or they put you in Fat camp)

MY daughter is showing all the crazy stuff they make you do to workout in boot camp and its super cool. The little man jumping jacks are my fav..cas they look SOOO funny.
2009-12-21 7:57 AM

User image

O there is a guy here at work that has a Trek Portland, SUPER cool commuter bike, it has disc brakes! and mud guards, its really weird, i woud love to use that for my commute to work in the summer months
2009-12-21 9:11 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Hey all...

WOW!  Did you watch the 2009 Kona Ironman on Saturday?  Talk about inspiring!  I still can't believe it.

I'm wondering if I can get a copy of it on video somewhere.

That one lady who had a stroke and learn how to walk again from scratch at 58 does the ironman 2 years later.  UNREAL!

Which brings me to my next, natural question.......What the %$^& is holding me back?!?  (Humbling or what?!)

Dave
2009-12-21 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2570824

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2009-12-21 7:11 AM Hey all...

WOW!  Did you watch the 2009 Kona Ironman on Saturday?  Talk about inspiring!  I still can't believe it.

I'm wondering if I can get a copy of it on video somewhere.

That one lady who had a stroke and learn how to walk again from scratch at 58 does the ironman 2 years later.  UNREAL!

Which brings me to my next, natural question.......What the %$^& is holding me back?!?  (Humbling or what?!)

Dave

I get upset when I see those who put so much effort and training in not make the cutoff, th guy with the heart transplant and the other with no legs. Here is a race report from my friend Geoff, he got in on the lottery.

2009-12-21 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2569935

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
ransick - 2009-12-20 4:07 PM I think I'm going to go with a road bike like this one http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/2_series/21/ .  The bike store guy talked me out of a tri bike.

I've been doing a fair bit of reading about the differences and I've been leaning toward a Tri bike for the reasons that the post angle is different from a road bike and that putting aero bars on a road bike is definitely not a good idea.  The geometry of a Tri bike is supposedly better for transitioning to running whereas a road bike doesn't take that into consideration.

What made you decide on a road bike over a Tri bike?

I'll be making a purchase in the next couple of months...interesting topic for sure.
2009-12-21 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2569755

User image

Expert
nevergivin - 2009-12-20 10:17 AM

Strength training

I'm not doing any strength training...  I know I should, but I just haven't taken the time to really figure out what I ought to be doing!  My personal issues are a long ago dislocated shoulder that is now sloppy and loose and can dislocate/re-set without pain on a fairly regular basis, and mild to moderate lower back pain on occasion sfter running or biking.  I think strenthening of the general shoulder and back/core muscles would really help me out with both of these things. 

Thanks for the info, I'm going to check out the articles you linked to.
2009-12-21 11:08 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
QUESTION:  I'm still watching clips of the Ironman on Ironman.com and youtube.  Tons of athletes are wearing a black band of some sort on their ankle.  At first I thought it might be a cadence pod for a Garmin or something, but I see them wearing them even coming out of the water and Garmins are not waterproof.  Any idea what these Black Ankle Bands are?
2009-12-21 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2571114

User image

Expert
Panther - 2009-12-21 9:08 AM QUESTION:  I'm still watching clips of the Ironman on Ironman.com and youtube.  Tons of athletes are wearing a black band of some sort on their ankle.  At first I thought it might be a cadence pod for a Garmin or something, but I see them wearing them even coming out of the water and Garmins are not waterproof.  Any idea what these Black Ankle Bands are?

it's the timing chip for electronic timing.  There is a timing mat at the entrance and exit to the transition, and the finish line so they can get accurate split/transition times.
2009-12-21 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2571016

User image

Modesto, California
norcal_SAHD - 2009-12-21 8:30 AM
nevergivin - 2009-12-20 10:17 AM

Strength training

I'm not doing any strength training...  I know I should, but I just haven't taken the time to really figure out what I ought to be doing!  My personal issues are a long ago dislocated shoulder that is now sloppy and loose and can dislocate/re-set without pain on a fairly regular basis, and mild to moderate lower back pain on occasion sfter running or biking.  I think strenthening of the general shoulder and back/core muscles would really help me out with both of these things. 

Thanks for the info, I'm going to check out the articles you linked to.

Lifting is not for everyone, for most people just sticking to swim/bike /run will give you the greatest return on time and effort. Now that Im in my mid 40's I find that Im doing it more for weight loss more than anything, for me weight loss is key to bike strength to weight ratio and also helps with my running in the same fashion. I have to be careful also because of previous injuries.

2009-12-21 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2570983

User image

Master
St. Louis
Panther - 2009-12-21 10:16 AM

The guy I talked to at my local bike shop said tri bikes are a rougher ride because the tubes are flat instead of round.  He said that on longer rides you will be more tired due to vibration.  He also said there are less options to put your hands different places so he recommended a road bike with clip on aero bars.

I talked with three different guys at my LBS on three different days and got three different recommendations.......

2009-12-21 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2571311

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
ransick - 2009-12-21 1:44 PM

The guy I talked to at my local bike shop said tri bikes are a rougher ride because the tubes are flat instead of round.  He said that on longer rides you will be more tired due to vibration.  He also said there are less options to put your hands different places so he recommended a road bike with clip on aero bars.

I talked with three different guys at my LBS on three different days and got three different recommendations.......

Here's an article that I found really straight forward on the Road vs. Tri Bike issue.  Check it out: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml
2009-12-21 1:24 PM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
OK...here's the plan.

Wednesday morning, DW and I are heading to Toronto to see Jersey Boys the musical and on Thursday the King Tut exhibit and the Dead Sea Scroll exhibit and hit some fine dining in the process.  We will be home Friday morning(ish).

So Saturday morning, the new diet kicks in and gearing up things on the treadmill and stationary bike.  Then, January 4 (Monday) I start the 'Couch-to-Sprint' 12 week program.

The only real hurdle I can foresee is our NFL Championships Party on Jan 24 and of course the Superbowl Party.  If I can get through those without any major set-backs, I think I'm in for the long haul.

That's the plan anyway....

I'm super concerned about the swimming, as I KNOW that will be my weakest area and even getting to the pool in another town 3 times a week is going to be tough until spring. 
2009-12-21 1:51 PM
in reply to: #2571347

User image

Modesto, California
ransick - 2009-12-21 1:44 PM

Here's an article that I found really straight forward on the Road vs. Tri Bike issue.  Check it out: http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

This is a great article to narrow down the decision, however it will still be difficult. My best advice is to sit on both bikes and make a decision on how they feel to you, either bike is good for triathlons. I am scratching my head about the flat tube comment, I am not sure what he meant, inner tubes are obviously not flat, my seat tube on my road bike is flat, it doesnt vibrate. Aero bars are extremely comfortable, when I have them on my bike I could almost fall asleep in them on long rides, I seldom use my drops on group rides or triathlon races, sometimes on steep downhills, mostly during Bike races. I mostly ride on my hoods or top of my bars. For me the hardest thing getting used to is staying bent over for long periods in aero position, it takes some time to get used to. Typically you will know right away after sitting and riding both which one you will like.

Edited by nevergivin 2009-12-21 1:56 PM
2009-12-21 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2571414

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2009-12-21 11:24 AM OK...here's the plan.

Wednesday morning, DW and I are heading to Toronto to see Jersey Boys the musical and on Thursday the King Tut exhibit and the Dead Sea Scroll exhibit and hit some fine dining in the process.  We will be home Friday morning(ish).

So Saturday morning, the new diet kicks in and gearing up things on the treadmill and stationary bike.  Then, January 4 (Monday) I start the 'Couch-to-Sprint' 12 week program.

The only real hurdle I can foresee is our NFL Championships Party on Jan 24 and of course the Superbowl Party.  If I can get through those without any major set-backs, I think I'm in for the long haul.

I'm super concerned about the swimming, as I KNOW that will be my weakest area and even getting to the pool in another town 3 times a week is going to be tough until spring. 

There is no real substitute for swimming, however, this is better than nothing at all and will add swim specific strength.

2009-12-21 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2571504

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
nevergivin - 2009-12-21 3:03 PM

There is no real substitute for swimming, however, this is better than nothing at all and will add swim specific strength.

NICE!  I just happen to have the bands from buying the P90X program.  SWEET! 

This group is already paying off!  Smile
2009-12-21 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2571738

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2009-12-21 1:51 PM
nevergivin - 2009-12-21 3:03 PM

NICE!  I just happen to have the bands from buying the P90X program.  SWEET! 

This group is already paying off!  Smile

Thats G's article (Gordo Byrn), he is an elite triathlete and has givin a ton of advice on BT, has written a few books and is one of the top age group athletes in the nation. Here is a link to his website, he has a ton of triathlon info that he shares. This is his tips page.
2009-12-21 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2571484

User image

Master
St. Louis
nevergivin - 2009-12-21 1:51 PM

I am scratching my head about the flat tube comment, I am not sure what he meant, inner tubes are obviously not flat, my seat tube on my road bike is flat, it doesnt vibrate.

By flat I mean not round like this http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/model/trinity.0/3888/37067/   The tubes are thin from the front view to be aerodynamic but real wide from the side view.  I'm not sure if that really translates into a harsher ride or not.  I guess the argument is that a bigger cross sectional area on the tubes means it is stiffer.

Edited by ransick 2009-12-21 7:02 PM
2009-12-21 7:14 PM
in reply to: #2571347

User image

Master
St. Louis
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  

of 21