BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2009-12-22 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2572517

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: tripletmom01 mentor group - REOPEN!

tripletmom01 - 2009-12-22 7:05 AM

mnardulli - 2009-12-22 7:00 AM I think I remember some earlier comment on this thread about "Training is 80% nutrition".  Hadn't thought much about this in the past.  I don't believe I'm working out long enough (up to about 90 minutes of sustained activity) to warrant eating during the workout.  Am guessing that I might need to think about what I'm eating more before and after the training.  Is it as simple as making sure you eat enough protein afterwards to allow your body to rebuild quickly?  Any rules of thumb you guys follow?

Chocolate milk is the BEST recovery drink.... cheap and exactly to carb to protien ratio you need.  I believ youwant a 4 to 1 carbs to protien ratio for recovery.

I dont take in cals unless I am going 2 hours or more.

The better foods I eat the better I feel training..its simple.

Taminator, we need to skool ewe in your tieping skillz.

2009-12-22 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2557055

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Tammy,

I've noticed that all programs plans are minute based, except for swimming portion which has minutes and yardage. Is this normal in the world of triathon training? Marathon plans I followed were based on mileage. Just trying to understand the logic using minutes vs mileage.

thanks
Sylvain
2009-12-22 9:41 AM

User image

New user

Is there room for 1 more?????

NAME:
 f18guy/Armin

STORY:  I'm a 34 yo Marine stationed in South Carolina. I have been in the Marine Corps for 16 yrs and recently returned from my second depolyment to Iraq. I have always been active but really started to get bored of the same old PT routine. I really needed a new challenge and think tris are the spark I need to get me going again.  

FAMILY STATUS: Wife(Tyra) who has also been motivated to start training as well. We bought her a road bike for christmas.

CURRENT TRAINING:
 Not specifically following a program as of right now. I am biking 2 x wk and running 2 x wk. The biking sessions are usually around 30 miles/1.5-1.75 hrs. The running sessions are usually a 6 miler(45 minutes) and a 10+ at about a 9 minute pace. I have yet to swim. I will be joining a masters program at the begining of the new year. It's not that I can't swim, I know how to survive in the water from aviation survival training, but I don't know how to swim properly for a race. This will be my greatest challenge.

THIS YEAR'S RACES (2010):
 I want to do the Parris Island Sprint in March, the St Andrew Olympic in St Pete FL in Apr, the Florida HIM in May(Just want to fininsh) and the Augusta HIM in Sep as my A race.

2009 RACES:
  None: Deployed to Iraq

WEIGHTLOSS:
 Dont need to focus on weight loss.

WHAT I'M HOPING TO GAIN FROM THIS:
I really need a new challenge and need some guidance from someone who knows what they are doing. Physically I know I can do this. Am I there yet, absolutely not, but thats what training is for.

2009-12-22 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2572513

tripletmom01 - 2009-12-22 7:02 AM

Instead of a HRM Id get a garmin...Id die without mine

Bike shorts...yes Id get some- I am actually more comfy in tri shorts...but we are all different.

Yes- you will need a wetsuit once your distances increase.... they are almost like chaeating

Yep- get them all

Oh man....what I could do with unlimited funds.....(* stops daydreaming *)

For the Garmin, is it really  just the GPS that you like over a regular HRM?  I've looked at those but they're kinda pricey. 
2009-12-22 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2572602

sstucker - 2009-12-22 7:57 AM  I recommend you log you all your meals and check out the result after a week. For myself I try to take in about 4g/lb of carbs and .75g/lb of protein. I try to stick around 55% Carb, 25% protein and 20% fats. Fats are important also, make sure you consume the good stuff such as Omega 3. Reduce the transfat as much as possible. Learn to read the labels. In the Carb section, see what source they are coming from such as sugar or starch. Sugar is not bad, just depends on when you consume it, before a workout is best but not in the evening before bed.

Up to this point all I've really tried to do is avoid trans fats and limit saturated fats.  I'll look into logging my meals and snacks...we'll have to see how much time it takes.  Thanks for the guidelines!
2009-12-22 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2572517

tripletmom01 - 2009-12-22 7:05 AM
recovery drink.... cheap and exactly to carb to protien ratio you need.  I believ youwant a 4 to 1 carbs to protien ratio for recovery.

I dont take in cals unless I am going 2 hours or more.

The better foods I eat the better I feel training..its simple.

Chocolate milk....sounds good to me.  Thanks Tammy!

2009-12-22 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2572505

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
mnardulli - 2009-12-22 6:57 AM

So I've got some holiday money to spend on myself and, not surprising to my wife, I've decided to spend it on tri related stuff.  Could use some guidance on prioritization of purchases.  Some items I'm considering:

1. Bike fit - I've never had a bike fit before.  I'm riding a Trek 1000 road bike right now that I bought off of eBay.  When I bought it I just moved the seat up and down until it felt comfortable to ride.  I'm guessing my position could use some tweaking (or more).
2. Clipless pedals & shoes
3. HRM - Timex IronMan Race Trainer
4. Clip-on aerobars
5. Wetsuit
6. Bike shorts - all I have right now are Tri shorts.  Starting to ride longer distances I'm thinking it might make sense to buy some more heavily padded shorts to make the ride a little more comfortable.

Any brand recommendations, thoughts on most useful items or other comments would be appreciated.

I'd get the clipless pedals and shoes. I have Speedplay pedals, and although there are a bunch of fine brands out there, the Speedplays might be my choice if you longer term think you might want to train with Power. A company called MetriGear is coming out with a new power-meter in 2010 where the gear is built into the spindle of a speedplay pedal. Consequently, you could get that without having to switch your cleats and pedals. If you don't have any interest in that, then all the other kinds are back in the mix. I'd make sure you get "triathlon shoes" rather than "road shoes".

On the bike shorts, that's probably a good idea. I think all the brands out there seem to have a full line of products, with the primary difference being the padding. I recently got a pair (new) off of Ebay that had really good padding, and it was only $35 or so shipped. If you go to a store someplace you're likely to be spending $75 to $125 for the better quality shorts.

I would agree with Tammy on holding off on the bike fit, and also looking into the Garmin. I had a Polar HRM with footpod for a couple years, and am going to be using my x-mas $$$ to purchase a Garmin Forerunner.

The wetsuit depends on how tough you are. I live in Minnesota, and am glad I have one in the early part of the season, but it's one of those things that you only use a handful of times a year - not like a HRM or bike shorts, etc.

Finally, I'd look for Profile Design Jammers on the aerobars. They are much shorter than most of the clip-ons you'll see, but they allow you to keep your bike set up so that your geometry works for normal riding, and your fit in the aero position is OK too. With the longer aero-bars, you end up having to move your seat way forward in order to get your body up to them, and while you can then ride OK in aero, you've messed up your fit for non-aero riding. Just my two cents on that, there are certainly a bunch of folks who have gone with the longer aerobars and changed their road bike fit around entirely.

-Matt

Edited by MLJ 2009-12-22 10:15 AM
2009-12-22 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2572981

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
mnardulli - 2009-12-22 10:02 AM

Bike shorts...yes Id get some- I am actually more comfy in tri shorts...but we are all different.

Yes- you will need a wetsuit once your distances increase.... they are almost like chaeating

Yep- get them all

For the Garmin, is it really  just the GPS that you like over a regular HRM?  I've looked at those but they're kinda pricey. 

Yes, it's primarily the GPS. Check out the Forerunner 305 on Amazon. Around $150 I think, and you might be able to find a discount coupon somewhere....
2009-12-22 10:33 AM

New user

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Do you still have room in your group? I am BRAND new at this. I am a 34 year old mom with NO previous experience. My older sister and I have signed up for a sprint triathlon this June and I am over weight and out of shape and loooking for as much guidance as I can get as I start the training process.
2009-12-22 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2572908

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

f18guy - 2009-12-22 9:41 AM

NAME:
 f18guy/Armin

STORY:  I'm a 34 yo Marine stationed in South Carolina. I have been in the Marine Corps for 16 yrs and recently returned from my second depolyment to Iraq. I have always been active but really started to get bored of the same old PT routine. I really needed a new challenge and think tris are the spark I need to get me going again.  

FAMILY STATUS: Wife(Tyra) who has also been motivated to start training as well. We bought her a road bike for christmas.

CURRENT TRAINING:
 Not specifically following a program as of right now. I am biking 2 x wk and running 2 x wk. The biking sessions are usually around 30 miles/1.5-1.75 hrs. The running sessions are usually a 6 miler(45 minutes) and a 10+ at about a 9 minute pace. I have yet to swim. I will be joining a masters program at the begining of the new year. It's not that I can't swim, I know how to survive in the water from aviation survival training, but I don't know how to swim properly for a race. This will be my greatest challenge.

I want to do the Parris Island Sprint in March, the St Andrew Olympic in St Pete FL in Apr, the Florida HIM in May(Just want to fininsh) and the Augusta HIM in Sep as my A race.

2009 RACES:

WEIGHTLOSS:

I really need a new challenge and need some guidance from someone who knows what they are doing. Physically I know I can do this. Am I there yet, absolutely not, but thats what training is for.

Yes, we have room. Welcome to the Group!

2009-12-22 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2573076

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

Icandothis - 2009-12-22 10:33 AM Do you still have room in your group? I am BRAND new at this. I am a 34 year old mom with NO previous experience. My older sister and I have signed up for a sprint triathlon this June and I am over weight and out of shape and loooking for as much guidance as I can get as I start the training process.

Yes, we would like to you have you in the group. Can you tell us more about yourself? You can just fill out the information like Armin did above. Welcome aboard..

2009-12-22 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2572981

User image

mnardulli - 2009-12-22 10:02 AM

Yep- get them all

I think the Garmin is so much more than just the GPS, it is all about the data. It has an easy software package that synchs it to your computer. It tracks mulitple data points on the front of the writst portion of the device. For my training, I track time, distance, HR and pace. I can quickly get all the info I need while training by taking a quick glance down.  Well worth the investment!

2009-12-22 10:52 AM

User image

NAME:
 f18guy/Armin

CURRENT TRAINING:

2009 RACES:

WEIGHTLOSS:

Welcome to the group. That is a nice schedule for 2010.. It is also great that your wife has interest in the sport. The good thing about the swim is that it is the shortest portion of the race. If you can get through the swim with a decent time, you can make up ground on the Bike and Run..  What kind of bike did you get her?
2009-12-22 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2572351

User image

Subject: RE: tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED
1stTimeTri - 2009-12-21 10:46 PM

To Tripletmom's mentees:

Tripletmom01 has a lot of knowledge and learned a lot in the last couple of years doing IM Moo.  Plus, as a plug, check out "The Distance: A Triathlete's Journey", by our very own BTer, Rich Ratay, which features your mentor - http://www.distancedvd.com/

This is a great movie. It is actually how I met Tammy and she begain coaching me....
2009-12-22 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2573076

New user

Name: Icandothis/Allison

Story: I am a 34 year old mother from Colorado Springs, Colorado. I currently work full time at a prison(a very stationary job) and I am also trying to complete my doctorate in Psychology. Over the past few years my body has begun to break down due to my inactivity. I sit for eight hours at work then come home and sit on the couch and watch TV, as a result I have gained at least 20 pounds in the past couple years. I have never been in the position of having to loss weight and my self esteem is at an all time low. I I am looking to challenge myself, get healthier and more fit, and have fun.

Family Status: I have an 8 year old daughter who lives with my 50% of the time, I have been living with my boyfriend for the past three years along with his two boys ages 9 and 11. My boyfriend is a fireman and is in good shape, I constantly feel like I can not keep up with him and I want that to change as well as setting a good example for the kids.

Current Training: None. I signed up for BT yesterday and downloaded the Couch to Sprint program. I plan to start training on January 4th. In the past I have done personal training sessions and attended a bootcamp this summer however I never really seem to stick with anything. I did just complete a 9 week Freestyle Swim clinic for adults and would say my swimming ability is okay (but far from from great). I can ride my bike (I have a hybrid) as long as the road is flat and I have never been a runner (but have always wanted to)!

This Year's Races (2010): My older sister and I signed up for the "My First Triathlon", a sprint triathlon at Lake Lanier Georgia on June 5th of this year.

2009 Races: None, ever!

Weightloss: I don't want that to be my focus, I am more interested in training and getting into shape and hope to shed some weight along the way. I have never had to loss weight before and it is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do. I like to see 30 lbs or so come off.

What I'm Hoping to Gain From This: Increase self esteem, a sense of accomplishment-finsih something Ive started. Living a healthier and happier lifestyle and continuing to race in the future.

2009-12-22 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2573241

User image

Icandothis - 2009-12-22 11:20 AM

Name: Icandothis/Allison

Story: I am a 34 year old mother from Colorado Springs, Colorado. I currently work full time at a prison(a very stationary job) and I am also trying to complete my doctorate in Psychology. Over the past few years my body has begun to break down due to my inactivity. I sit for eight hours at work then come home and sit on the couch and watch TV, as a result I have gained at least 20 pounds in the past couple years. I have never been in the position of having to loss weight and my self esteem is at an all time low. I I am looking to challenge myself, get healthier and more fit, and have fun.

Family Status: I have an 8 year old daughter who lives with my 50% of the time, I have been living with my boyfriend for the past three years along with his two boys ages 9 and 11. My boyfriend is a fireman and is in good shape, I constantly feel like I can not keep up with him and I want that to change as well as setting a good example for the kids.

Current Training: None. I signed up for BT yesterday and downloaded the Couch to Sprint program. I plan to start training on January 4th. In the past I have done personal training sessions and attended a bootcamp this summer however I never really seem to stick with anything. I did just complete a 9 week Freestyle Swim clinic for adults and would say my swimming ability is okay (but far from from great). I can ride my bike (I have a hybrid) as long as the road is flat and I have never been a runner (but have always wanted to)!

This Year's Races (2010): My older sister and I signed up for the "My First Triathlon", a sprint triathlon at Lake Lanier Georgia on June 5th of this year.

2009 Races: None, ever!

Weightloss: I don't want that to be my focus, I am more interested in training and getting into shape and hope to shed some weight along the way. I have never had to loss weight before and it is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do. I like to see 30 lbs or so come off.

What I'm Hoping to Gain From This: Increase self esteem, a sense of accomplishment-finsih something Ive started. Living a healthier and happier lifestyle and continuing to race in the future.

Allison, welcome to the group... I fully understand the training/weight loss thing. I just lost 112lbs and started doing Tri's last year. The sprint is the way to go. I think once you do that race, it will be in your blood. The benefit for Tris for me is that I get bored easily. By training for Tri's, you always have a lot of aspects you can focus on (Swim, Bike, Run, Weights, Abs/Core, etc). I think this will be a great group for you. Tammy has been coaching me for 6 months and has a wealth of knowledge... Just let us know how we can be here for you!!!

2009-12-22 12:56 PM

User image

Corpus Christi, TX

NAME:
 f18guy/Armin

CURRENT TRAINING:

2009 RACES:

WEIGHTLOSS:

SEMPER FI Armin!!!

Like you the Marine Corps taught me how to survive in the water not how to swim.  Once I got to the pool I was swimming within 2 days.  You'll get it......Marines don't know how to fail.
2009-12-22 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2573020

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

MLJ - 2009-12-22 10:12 AM
mnardulli - 2009-12-22 6:57 AM

So I've got some holiday money to spend on myself and, not surprising to my wife, I've decided to spend it on tri related stuff.  Could use some guidance on prioritization of purchases.  Some items I'm considering:

1. Bike fit - I've never had a bike fit before.  I'm riding a Trek 1000 road bike right now that I bought off of eBay.  When I bought it I just moved the seat up and down until it felt comfortable to ride.  I'm guessing my position could use some tweaking (or more).
2. Clipless pedals & shoes
3. HRM - Timex IronMan Race Trainer
4. Clip-on aerobars
5. Wetsuit
6. Bike shorts - all I have right now are Tri shorts.  Starting to ride longer distances I'm thinking it might make sense to buy some more heavily padded shorts to make the ride a little more comfortable.

Any brand recommendations, thoughts on most useful items or other comments would be appreciated.

I'd get the clipless pedals and shoes. I have Speedplay pedals, and although there are a bunch of fine brands out there, the Speedplays might be my choice if you longer term think you might want to train with Power. A company called MetriGear is coming out with a new power-meter in 2010 where the gear is built into the spindle of a speedplay pedal. Consequently, you could get that without having to switch your cleats and pedals. If you don't have any interest in that, then all the other kinds are back in the mix. I'd make sure you get "triathlon shoes" rather than "road shoes". On the bike shorts, that's probably a good idea. I think all the brands out there seem to have a full line of products, with the primary difference being the padding. I recently got a pair (new) off of Ebay that had really good padding, and it was only $35 or so shipped. If you go to a store someplace you're likely to be spending $75 to $125 for the better quality shorts. I would agree with Tammy on holding off on the bike fit, and also looking into the Garmin. I had a Polar HRM with footpod for a couple years, and am going to be using my x-mas $$$ to purchase a Garmin Forerunner. The wetsuit depends on how tough you are. I live in Minnesota, and am glad I have one in the early part of the season, but it's one of those things that you only use a handful of times a year - not like a HRM or bike shorts, etc. Finally, I'd look for Profile Design Jammers on the aerobars. They are much shorter than most of the clip-ons you'll see, but they allow you to keep your bike set up so that your geometry works for normal riding, and your fit in the aero position is OK too. With the longer aero-bars, you end up having to move your seat way forward in order to get your body up to them, and while you can then ride OK in aero, you've messed up your fit for non-aero riding. Just my two cents on that, there are certainly a bunch of folks who have gone with the longer aerobars and changed their road bike fit around entirely. -Matt

Well if I swam as FAST as Matt I would consider not using a wetsuit either!!

2009-12-22 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2572838

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

sstucker - 2009-12-22 9:17 AM Tammy, I've noticed that all programs plans are minute based, except for swimming portion which has minutes and yardage. Is this normal in the world of triathon training? Marathon plans I followed were based on mileage. Just trying to understand the logic using minutes vs mileage. thanks Sylvain

Yes- I have noticed this too and do NOT like it at all.  Whyt do they do that Im not really sure.... but if you tell a not so good of a runner to do a 20 mile run and it takes them 5 hours.... that is probaly not very good training as it would take longer to recover then for those of us who it takes less then three hours.  SO i *think* maybe they do it for  those purposes.

Plans are made to be broken and altered.. I mean I sure did.

That also leads into WHY it is so great to have a coach.... then the plans are made specifically for you.  I LOVE it

So really.. I dont know but I agree that it is annoying

2009-12-22 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2573151

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

texastriman - 2009-12-22 10:54 AM
1stTimeTri - 2009-12-21 10:46 PM

To Tripletmom's mentees:

Tripletmom01 has a lot of knowledge and learned a lot in the last couple of years doing IM Moo.  Plus, as a plug, check out "The Distance: A Triathlete's Journey", by our very own BTer, Rich Ratay, which features your mentor - http://www.distancedvd.com/

This is a great movie. It is actually how I met Tammy and she begain coaching me....

yes it is also a great motivator....hint hint.... and would make a great christmas present.... (youd think I got paid for it or something...lol)

2009-12-22 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2573148

User image

New user

Tex,

I am riding a Felt Z85 and she went with the Felt ZW95. I told her that I will stick with the road bike this season but if I graduate to a full IM next year I am buying a full carbon Tri Bike. She doesn't have any experience with any kind of distance sports so her goal this year is to do a sprint and run a couple of 5-10k's

2009-12-22 10:49 PM

User image

New user

CC, TX

Hi, I want to join the group if it is still possible... one more member from TX would not hurtInnocent

NAME: Ele (28)

STORY: I decided to start training for a duathlon after watching a friend completing a triathlon earlier this year, I can swim for recreation and survival but not really for competing, so I focused on running and riding.  I bought a road bike and new running shoes and started training 2 months before my 1st race. More than a month ago, I completed my first short duathlon and I am hooked, I want train hard for my next event in April. My fiance and friends are training for a triathlon, but I never train with them because these guys are too much and I get frustrated when I cannot keep up with them during runs/rides.

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged.

CURRENT TRAINING: I currently run 2-2.5 miles before doing weights, going to my pilates or spinning classes. I usually ride 10 mi during the weekends. I try to excersice 5 solid days a week.

2010  RACES: Corpus Christi Duathlon in April ... 5K-30K-5K

2009 RACES:  Du-it-again duathlon 2Mi-10Mi-2Mi ... 1st event ever

WEIGHTLOSS: I am all about weight gain... after graduating from college I lost a lot of weight due to stress and could not gain it back. After 5 years I started gaining weight while training for my 1st duathlon., however, 2 weeks of no training was enough to banish those 7 lbs I put on, but I feel and look stronger now Wink.

EXPECTATIONS: I would like to improve my times and get into a more formal training schedule/technique to get the most out of my workouts.

Edited by pacificsand 2009-12-23 12:20 AM
2009-12-23 6:26 AM
in reply to: #2574423

User image

f18guy - 2009-12-22 8:45 PM Tex,

I am riding a Felt Z85 and she went with the Felt ZW95. I told her that I will stick with the road bike this season but if I graduate to a full IM next year I am buying a full carbon Tri Bike. She doesn't have any experience with any kind of distance sports so her goal this year is to do a sprint and run a couple of 5-10k's

I think the sprint and some 5/10k's will get her feet wet... Do you two train together or do you plan on it?
2009-12-23 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2574571

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

pacificsand - 2009-12-22 10:49 PM

Hi, I want to join the group if it is still possible... one more member from TX would not hurtInnocent

NAME: Ele (28)

STORY: I decided to start training for a duathlon after watching a friend completing a triathlon earlier this year, I can swim for recreation and survival but not really for competing, so I focused on running and riding.  I bought a road bike and new running shoes and started training 2 months before my 1st race. More than a month ago, I completed my first short duathlon and I am hooked, I want train hard for my next event in April. My fiance and friends are training for a triathlon, but I never train with them because these guys are too much and I get frustrated when I cannot keep up with them during runs/rides.

FAMILY STATUS: Engaged.

CURRENT TRAINING: I currently run 2-2.5 miles before doing weights, going to my pilates or spinning classes. I usually ride 10 mi during the weekends. I try to excersice 5 solid days a week.

2010  RACES: Corpus Christi Duathlon in April ... 5K-30K-5K

2009 RACES:  Du-it-again duathlon 2Mi-10Mi-2Mi ... 1st event ever

WEIGHTLOSS: I am all about weight gain... after graduating from college I lost a lot of weight due to stress and could not gain it back. After 5 years I started gaining weight while training for my 1st duathlon., however, 2 weeks of no training was enough to banish those 7 lbs I put on, but I feel and look stronger now Wink.

EXPECTATIONS: I would like to improve my times and get into a more formal training schedule/technique to get the most out of my workouts.

Welcome to the group Ele!

I would suggest to you new three memberes to go back and read the otheres intro and look to see what we jave been talking baout!

2009-12-23 3:30 PM

New user

Looks like Im the least experienced of the bunch! Like I said before I am brand new to this, no previous race experience at all. I was looking at the Couch to Sprint training program, is that the best plan for me to go with? I am currently not exercising on a regular basis and am pretty out of shape.

Also, I have a Trek-Hybrid bike, is that ok to use for my 1st Sprint or should I have a road bike??

Any suggestions, advice is greatly appreciated.

My 1st sprint tri will be on June 5th!!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tripletmom01 mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17