BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2010-01-05 6:18 PM
in reply to: #2557655

New user

Westmoreland County
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - OPEN for a few more
I gotta see a picture of your new ride.  I am still riding my old mountain bike, but have made a couple trips to the LBS checkin' out the new bikes.

Good luck with it, ride it like you stole it.

Paul

2010-01-05 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2593915

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED (READY TO ROLL!)
pastoops - 2010-01-04 9:41 PM did you 2200 straight? sounds like the workout went well...

Straight - gosh no. 

Typically its 3x something.  Right now I'm doing 1x400, 3x300, 3x200 and 3x100.  I'll build up the 400's one more a week until there's 3 of them.  Then I'll have to decide what to do because I'll be at 3000m and probably 1:15 for a session.  I'll have to look at either swimfit.com or something for different workouts in the 3k range.

And what happened - is it just the three of us in here?
2010-01-05 10:14 PM

User image

Regular
It looks like it is just 3 of us and Phil.  We'll just geter done with what we have.  I'll get off my lazy rear and take a pick of the bike tomorrow and put it online so I can post it before and after fix up.  That sounds like alot of swiming keep it up. 

I did the Cross Fit WOD (Workout of the day) see my log.  Them sound deceptivly easy but they are a real killer done for time like it says. If you haven't seen the site check it out the WOD is posted every day and it is never the same. Great stuff for cross training days.

www.crosfit.com
2010-01-05 10:40 PM

User image

Hello!
I am really new at this so I'm just going to tell you everything and let you fish through it...lol. I'm a married mom of 2 little girls. Lucy is 7 and Lilly is 2. My 59 year-old mother completed her first tri last summer and put me and my two sisters to shame. So we, having no exercise routine and plenty of baby weight to lose, vowed to do a tri as one big happy family on June 5th. I have never really been athletic. I played some tennis in high school and that's about it.

In August I started a running program called "From the couch to a 5K."  I've been doing pretty well (except for my Dec slump). I'm up to 18 minutes of running and 12 minutes of walking. I'm at the point now where I am trying to decide when and how to start training in the other events, and I have a TON of questions about equipment and what to expect. I'm the kind of person who works well with a plan, so I would love someone to work with me to put one together.

Surprisingly I have found that I love running, and I am super excited about doing the tri this summer. I will accept any and all advice and as much encouragement as you can dish out.  Thanks so MUCH!

2010-01-06 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2596407

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED (READY TO ROLL!)
Excellent! If you ever want some swim workouts, just ask. I have plenty...everything from 1600m up to 3,200m (which I did today..longest swim ever!)

So, there are more in the group but really you guys have been the most active. I decided to 're-open' the group to pull a few more in that might add to the team....so stay tuned!

have a great day!
2010-01-06 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2596775

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
hey momtolucylilly....welcome aboard...if you have a name let us know! LOL Cool

Congrats on making the decision to join the tri community. Looks like mom is quite the motivator. Sometimes it takes a swift kick in the pants to get things in motion. Remember, no matter what, enjoy the process..this isn't supposed to be work!

Great job on the running so far and it's great to know that you already have a race picked out! That's such a big step and I find that once I commit it makes it easier to get focused in on the training...call it 'fear of failure' so to speak.

If you have any questions about races or prep or training or anything I think you'll find a very supportive group here...

Welcome aboard!!

Phil

2010-01-06 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2597141

User image

Hey thanks! My name is Amy....sorry I forgot to mention that. Much easier to write than my username....lol.  I would really like some advice on a workout routine.  Currently I am running 3-4 times per week, pretty much every other day and increasing my run time while decreasing my walk time every other week.  I get a little overwhelmed when  I look at all the circuit training stuff and I don't really know what to do or how much to do or what muscle groups to do at the same time....see...overwhelmed...lol. I don't want to really bulk up, just some pretty "tank top muscles" as I like to call them..haha. Any advice??
2010-01-06 11:22 AM

User image

Regular
A easy way to start adding in the bike is to do a bike workout on the days you are resting from runs..  so run one day, bike the next.  I still need to learn to formaly swim so I haven't been doing any swimworkouts yet,  but I can see where fitting in all 3 takes some planing. This site has lots of great free and membership training plans available.  I have plans for a 1/2 Marathon so I have been focused on running and using biking  and strength training for active recovery.   I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in with a sugested plan to get you started.  Welcome to our group..
2010-01-06 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2596775

Extreme Veteran
Hi Amy & Welcome.

BT has a "Couch to Sprint plan too.  I think its 12 weeks long.  Most of the beginner plans that you find are designed to help you comfortably finish a race of a particular length.  When I've used a plan, I try to stay as close as possible while realizing that the plan was written without regard for life's interruptions (spouse, kids, work, fire, flood and famine).

Best of luck.
2010-01-06 2:54 PM

User image

Flowery Branch, Ga
Hi Phil. If you still have room, I would love to join your group. My name is Ryan Coleman and I live in North Georgia. I am a full time fishing guide on Lake Lanier and have somewhat went through a body transformation. A year or so ago, I was almost 300 pounds and now I am somewhere around 220 pounds. I was around 210 before the holidays but hey, that is no to be discussed.

I have been in training now for about a year and a few months. I "workout" four to five days per week and do a good bit of running and biking. Some on the road and some in the gym. I finished a sprint last year with a friend locally but to be honest, I didnt really do any specialized training for it. I just winged it. I did OK on the bike and run but almost drowned on the swim. haha..

I have signed up for the Florida 70.3 in May and have started my biking and running training this past week. I am in need of some help with my program. I am very new to all of this so I am sure I will have a good many questions... If you have space, Id love to be a part of your group.

Also, I can not figure out why this site is not posting my info in paragraphs. I am typing them correctly but it is bunching them up. Sorry for that. I am using a Mac if that has any effect.

[email protected]

Edited by LanierSpots 2010-01-06 4:18 PM

2010-01-06 4:58 PM

Still have room for one more? My name is Ryan and I am from San Diego, Ca. I completed a mini-sprint with the local Tri-Club mid season last year and my first Sprint at the very end of last season. I was really fired up but have fallen off the training wagon. Looking for a good environment to motivate and train in as well as a place to get all the questions that come up answered. Please let me know if there is room. Thanks

2010-01-06 5:01 PM

New user

Westmoreland County
Welcome Amy and Ryan!

Amy I started the "Couch to 5K" program in August also.  The best advice I can give you starting out, is to slow your run pace down.  Don't worry about how far you you ran in X minutes.  Just aim for the total run time.  I was struggling making the run times at first(running 8 1/2 min miles) and couldn't add any more time.  I was very discouraged and couldn't figure out why, I was busting my butt.  I happened across an older post here on BT, and the advice was to slow way down.  I did, and started adding time to my runs, so much that I dropped the program and "just ran".

Slow it down and you will be fine.  You can then later start on distance and speed work. 

Not getting personal, but roughly how old are you?

Do you have a good pair of running shoes?

I thnik Sawfish gave some good advice, bike on your non-running days.  I think it will help speed up you recovery.

Good luck,

Paul

Edited by Ripper10 2010-01-06 5:03 PM
2010-01-06 6:13 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
If you're looking for more bodies, I'll nip in as well. Tri comraderie is Good!  Cool

If you are still accepting, I will post bio then...

Innocent 

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-06 6:14 PM
2010-01-06 9:34 PM

Dolores, CO
Hi I would like to join if you still have a spot open.

My name is Jon and brand new to the sport.  So lets start in Sept. I weighed 255lbs. so I started dieting and getting in shape so I started cycling then it got cold (got to love Colorado) but I set up my mountain bike on a trainer and started using it a bit. so between Sept and Dec I dropped to 210lbs and I have been hovering there through the holidays. 

I joined the local rec center so I could do more than just cycle on the trainer and discovered I swim sort of like a rock. But I am really looking forward to getting it up to do a couple of sprints by summer between then and now I plan on dropping to 185(ugh) and doing some medium to century rides as well as a few dualathons to get a feel for the transitions.
2010-01-06 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2598939

User image

Thanks for all the tips. I think I will start the cycling on my "off days." I was thinking of doing a cycling class...since I don't own a bike yet..haha, those questions are next . Has anyone found the cycling/spin classes beneficial?  

I will be saying good-bye to my twenties this coming Tuesday Cry.....I'll be 30 on the 12th.  

I do have a really good pair of running shoes. My mom took me to a running store in Atlanta and had me fitted, and they also watched me run and all that good stuff...an early Christmas present. I only wear them to run. 

2010-01-07 5:19 AM
in reply to: #2599408

User image

Expert
Canada
momtolucylilly - 2010-01-06 11:40 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I think I will start the cycling on my "off days." I was thinking of doing a cycling class...since I don't own a bike yet..haha, those questions are next . Has anyone found the cycling/spin classes beneficial?  

I will be saying good-bye to my twenties this coming Tuesday Cry.....I'll be 30 on the 12th.  

I do have a really good pair of running shoes. My mom took me to a running store in Atlanta and had me fitted, and they also watched me run and all that good stuff...an early Christmas present. I only wear them to run. 

I have retired my bike for winter. Am concentrating on running & swim. I do some cycling at gym & a spin class or two every week, to try & maintain my "cycling legs".

I like the social atmosphere of spin, in the dead of winter. When spring arrives, my cycling will be all outside again & the mileage ramped up. While you are waiting for a bike, this would be a great way to get started.

Also, if you spin has clipin pedals, this is an easy way to get used to the method of clipping, etc, before going on the bike!

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-07 5:20 AM

2010-01-07 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
Berkeley Heights
Gotta love the additional interest!

Getting back to it.  Well behaved over the holiday's.  Only caveat was my fancy new pair of LL Bean boots rubs the back of my leg above the ankle raw (because I don't own anything but ankle socks) then it grew to the size of a golf ball and got infected.  Oh joy!

I've been mixing in a lot of alternate workouts in with just the bike.  First day in the pool will be on Monday. Been in the saddle on the trainer and I forgot how much my but hurts at the hour mark....just take some time in the saddle to get used to.  Still holding of on the run until I hit the 250 mark.  12 down and 12 to go.

Looking forward to getting back in the pool.  I bought Total Immersion swimming and chi running books.  Should be delivered early next week...can hardly wait.

2010-01-07 8:53 AM

User image

Regular
Sorry about the leg but glad it is gettign better.  Great work on losing the 12 pounds keep up the good work. I have both of thoes books. I have not read TI yet because I have not started swiming but CHi-running is a great book and should help you alot with injury prevention. Be sure to read the whole book.  Remember it is not a Majic bullet you still have to take it slow and build conditioning and let your body get use to the new stress of running but Chi-running will keep you injury free if you take it slow. 
2010-01-07 9:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA

Morning everyone! Welcoming some new members as you might have already noticed. the more the merrier.

Good reading regarding creating a customized training program on the USAT website:

http://www.usatriathlon.org/pages/8086

Enjoy!

2010-01-07 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2599896

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
broonsy - 2010-01-07 9:46 AM Gotta love the additional interest!

Been in the saddle on the trainer and I forgot how much my but hurts at the hour mark....just take some time in the saddle to get used to. 

I got 'back in the saddle' over holiday and man, I was numb in a place where a boy shouldn't be numb...and it lasted for like two days....
2010-01-07 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2599408

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
momtolucylilly - 2010-01-06 10:40 PM

Spin classes are great for cardio and leg strength but I have found they don't necessarily translate to better performance on the bike. Your position is different on your road bike (which typically is fitted) and it's difficult to truly repliace that with spin.

My advice is to do both. I love spin class by the way! It's a great social outlet, burns some serious calories and keeps my overall fitness level high. To supplement your training, I highly recommend getting an indoor trainer and either ride while watching a movie or get some fitness DVD's like 'Spinervals' or such and go through those workouts.

I found the greatest improvement in my 'bike' fitness when I spent time on my bike. Probably an obvious statement but I tried to 'get by' with just spin classes during my first season and it didn't translate to better performance. I was 'fit' but not 'bike fit'.

Oh, and congrats on turning 30...I turned '40' last year which is like the 'new 30' so you might not get many condolences from me.  LOLSmile

Phil

2010-01-07 1:13 PM
in reply to: #2600126

User image

What's an indoor trainer? From I read it sounds like something you sit your bike on to make it stationary? I don't have a bike yet, and I REALLY don't know where to begin looking for one either. Any suggestions for a harsh-economy-stricken mother of 2?? I probably couldn't pay more than a couple hundred dollars right now, but some of the bikes I have seen are going for over $500 to $3K!!! Yikes!I have also been trying to keep up with my workouts on the training log. I hope that helps me stay organized and accountable. Any advice is welcomed! I will definitely need to be getting on an actual bike very soon. I haven't been on a bike in about 15 years...lol. Should be interesting....lots of soreness and chaffing I'm sure
2010-01-07 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2600741

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
momtolucylilly - 2010-01-07 2:13 PM What's an indoor trainer? From I read it sounds like something you sit your bike on to make it stationary? I don't have a bike yet, and I REALLY don't know where to begin looking for one either. Any suggestions for a harsh-economy-stricken mother of 2?? I probably couldn't pay more than a couple hundred dollars right now, but some of the bikes I have seen are going for over $500 to $3K!!! Yikes!I have also been trying to keep up with my workouts on the training log. I hope that helps me stay organized and accountable. Any advice is welcomed! I will definitely need to be getting on an actual bike very soon. I haven't been on a bike in about 15 years...lol. Should be interesting....lots of soreness and chaffing I'm sure

Soooo...a bike is really the first step right now...you should be able to find a used road bike on ebay or Craig's list even on a budget..no need to go spend thousands on a bike unless you are really serious about doing races every year (or you just like to spend alot of money on a nice piece of equipment that might hang in the garage...)

I think most importantly is to make sure whatever bike you purchase fits you correctly....frames come in different sizes......seats need to be adjusted, etc. So, maybe a trip to your local bike shop just to get an idea of what size you would need would be a good first step, then you can search for a bike in your budget and have them check it out, make any required repairs and fit you to it properly. A good fit is so important as it helps you stay comfortable and perform better.

I should have said 'stationary' bike trainer...yes, it's something you set up inside. You clamp your bike to it and can replicate riding your bike indoors. Again, you can probably find a used one somewhere if you ever decide that you need to get on the bike more. (re: riding a bike you own is the best way to build your 'bike' fitness...but if spin class is the only alternative right now that's fine....)

As for logging your time, I think that's great! It helps keep me disciplined and it's always nice to see how far you've come...

As for chaffing on the bike, yeeeeeaaaah that's an issue...there are products out there that help prevent it...I swear by them for my time in the saddle...your local bike shop will carry an assortment of different kinds....
2010-01-07 1:38 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010!
Keep your eyes open for a Used bike. Go to a bike shop and ask alot of questions and find out what size bike they would try and put you on, stand over the top of the bike and use this information when you look at any used bike.  I just got lucky and picked up a used road bike for $100 it needs a few things but much better than the average $1500 price on most new bikes.  You can just do 5k's or longer distance run races until you can find a bike that fits you and your budget.  Just because this is a Tri site don't think you have to do a tri right away. I see lots of people that are just doing running races or Some other combination of the 3.   We'll support you any way you go.
2010-01-07 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010!
Looks like I'm in...so the boss says!

My story...Name: username: GoGoGo, Name:Richard

Story: Typical Early 40's male. Liked sports in high school & university. Got caught up in work, career, family, life! Ballooned to 250 lbs (6'4"). 2 years ago decided to start exercising again. Eventually started running. Ran for almost 1 year...bike accident, broken wrist (titanium) & broken ankle (Steel). Got outta this & started again. Got bored running this summer & started cycling this summer. Loved it & started with cycling group. Did an Olympic duathlon. Now got the tri bug. Problem...never learned to swim as a kid. Working on this all winter, hoping to be able to complete a sprint this summer...all depends on the water! If the swimming works out, will definitely do an Olympic this summer & Half Iron Next Year.

Family Status: Married, 2 kids, 7 & 9

Current Training: Trying to add some running mileage this winter. Might do 1st marathon in May. Keep Cycling over winter. Learn to Swim!!!

2009 Races:
- 5k - 2
- 8k - 1
- 10k - 2
- 10 miler - 1
- Half Mary - 2
- Duathlon -1

Weightloss: Am about 215 now. Could lose another 15.

2010 Goals:
1. Learn to swim & be able to complete Sprint. Super goal...Oly
2. Sub 21 5k
3. Sub 45 10k
4. Sub 1:40 Half Mary

Thanks for reading!

Edited by GoGoGo 2010-01-07 4:43 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stoop Dog's Tri Group - CLOSED for 2010! Rss Feed  

of 35