BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scottt's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2010-01-08 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2600968

Subject: RE: Scottt's Group - Closed
Bring It On - 2010-01-07 2:33 PM
I can't remember who it was that said his gf "needs" him to go to the gym.  That is frustrating.  I had a conversation with the hubby last night, who told me that I need to slow things down.  Just when I want to ramp things up.  Why is that?  Very frustrating!!!!!

I'm guilty!  We had a "talk" & I helped her find an app to create workouts & track progress. Then I asked her to be tough when I can't be there since I'm trying to do less gym work. yesterday, I dropped her at the gym, when for a swim, then picked her up and she was still going strong. So I think this may work.

Tri-Widow article was good. I read it and used some of the points during our talk, rather than having her read it.  It would've drawn attention to the number of bikes in the garage increasing.

2010-01-08 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2558214

Diet question kinda..

sitting in my pantry are several bags of cookies, marshmallows, potato chips and other food cocaine..   I'm on the fence, just wondering if I should eat slowly in moderation or toss them.

2010-01-08 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2602455

User image

Expert

Bachelor Reform - 2010-01-08 6:31 AM Diet question kinda..

sitting in my pantry are several bags of cookies, marshmallows, potato chips and other food cocaine..   I'm on the fence, just wondering if I should eat slowly in moderation or toss them.

"Hey Doc, I still have a few packs of cigarettes left, should I quit after I finish them....."

2010-01-08 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2601905

User image

Veteran
Central Point
kimmax - 2010-01-07 7:12 PM
ckallpoints - 2010-01-07 6:56 PM

I'm not familiar with any of the races in my area I found a few online. How do you chose? There is a 5k run in April that I thought might be a good start and a sprint in Portland the first week in June or about the same time there is one close to home but it is MTB and trail.

Hi Craig - Have you tried using the Races feature on this site? There's a link at the top of the page  - you can run a search of races in your area.  You might also want to post a message on the forum for your state.  See if anyone close to you has some suggestions.  Or check out their logs and see what races they have done.

Thanks Marcia, I hadn't really looked at that feature yet. One of the events isn't listed but this will give me a good place to start.
2010-01-08 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2602973

User image

Master
TORONTO

ckallpoints - 2010-01-08 11:53 AM
kimmax - 2010-01-07 7:12 PM
ckallpoints - 2010-01-07 6:56 PM

I'm not familiar with any of the races in my area I found a few online. How do you chose? There is a 5k run in April that I thought might be a good start and a sprint in Portland the first week in June or about the same time there is one close to home but it is MTB and trail.

Hi Craig - Have you tried using the Races feature on this site? There's a link at the top of the page  - you can run a search of races in your area.  You might also want to post a message on the forum for your state.  See if anyone close to you has some suggestions.  Or check out their logs and see what races they have done.

Thanks Marcia, I hadn't really looked at that feature yet. One of the events isn't listed but this will give me a good place to start.

I don't know if they have the same things in the states but here they use sportsstats.ca for the timing chips so I went on their site and could find all the upcoming events that way.  From there I basically figured out that there were three main tri sponsors (Subaru, Multisport and Somersault) and then went to each of their sites to see what was coming down the pipe.  But ya... might be easier to just ask someone on the forum Wink 

2010-01-08 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Personally I only totally cut out the stupidly bad stuff.  The rest I will have a few every once in a while (right after a race or a long workout are good times).  Out of your list, marshmallows certainly best fits my "stupidly bad" definition.  Cookies are a weakness for me.

2010-01-08 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2600618

User image

Master
TORONTO

Scottt - 2010-01-07 1:31 PM

"Just curious if anyone lifts weight and finds a benefit from it (speed, power, muscle tone, ect)?"

Jordan,

Sorry it's take a while to get to this...

Weight training is somewhat of a controversial topic within the tri ranks.  There is little statistical proof it make anyone "faster".  The greatest benefit seems to be the stimulation of muscular development and balance (adaptation).  This manifests itself most significantly in the prevention of injuries.  Most of what we do (functionally) is geared toward moving forward linearly as efficiently as possible.  That's great, but is means that the balance in our development gets thrown off.  Weight training is a great way to stimulate the stability muscles/tendon/ligaments on axis that are not developed well in our everyday SBR workouts.

You may have already answered this but I have a question...
I went to the gym on my lunch hour and while lifting weights my old trainer engages me in conversation.  I've been using the Training Bible as a guide for my weight routine (although haven't read it word for word) - (see today's log for deets on what I do).  I'm accustomed to doing a program that mixes things up - works different muscle groups - so this routine - while I'm increasing the weight slowly - feels a little stale.  Question:  Why is it recommended we work the muscles we already use in SBR and not focus on the strengthening other muscles that aren't used as much?  (Note: I haven't read the whole thing so maybe it changes up a bit and/or answers this)

The other thing we talked about - (and this might be too much information) - I have this pinch-an-inch around my middle that comes and goes at random - he thinks it's a cortisol issue.  I thought this interesting - hence sharing.  He was doing all this reading and apparently endurance athletes are some of the most overweight athletes out there.  One reason being that we (term used loosely - still a newb) tend to do a lot of the same prolonged activities and our body becomes accustomed to it.  Another reason is that when we are stressed - it affects our cortisol levels hence... belly fat.  He's offered to do a biosignature scan on me (he needs a guinea pig to further his research) and I've agreed out of curiousity.  I have a thyroid problem that has been acting up and I believe is causing my sleep deprivation issues - apparently this could also be one of the culprits so... Just curious if anyone else has heard anything about this?  Thinking I might even post on the main triathlon site and see what folks have to say...

2010-01-08 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2603286

User image

Master
TORONTO
Scottt - 2010-01-08 1:39 PM

Personally I only totally cut out the stupidly bad stuff.  The rest I will have a few every once in a while (right after a race or a long workout are good times).  Out of your list, marshmallows certainly best fits my "stupidly bad" definition.  Cookies are a weakness for me.

For me it's all or nothing - eat it all at once and be done with it - or toss it out.  I threw out the xmas baking - though I did eat all the shortbread Tongue out

2010-01-08 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2601399

New user

Chilliwack
Thanks for this advice and thanks Scott for the Widower's article.  it is a constant struggle and something that me and my friend Rebecca have a big issue with.  Both our husband's seem kind of threatened by our new found "strength and determination".

i'll try those tips.
2010-01-08 3:51 PM
in reply to: #2603648

User image

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

kimmax - 2010-01-08 12:32 PM

Scottt - 2010-01-07 1:31 PM

"Just curious if anyone lifts weight and finds a benefit from it (speed, power, muscle tone, ect)?"

Jordan,

Sorry it's take a while to get to this...

Weight training is somewhat of a controversial topic within the tri ranks.  There is little statistical proof it make anyone "faster".  The greatest benefit seems to be the stimulation of muscular development and balance (adaptation).  This manifests itself most significantly in the prevention of injuries.  Most of what we do (functionally) is geared toward moving forward linearly as efficiently as possible.  That's great, but is means that the balance in our development gets thrown off.  Weight training is a great way to stimulate the stability muscles/tendon/ligaments on axis that are not developed well in our everyday SBR workouts.

You may have already answered this but I have a question...
I went to the gym on my lunch hour and while lifting weights my old trainer engages me in conversation.  I've been using the Training Bible as a guide for my weight routine (although haven't read it word for word) - (see today's log for deets on what I do).  I'm accustomed to doing a program that mixes things up - works different muscle groups - so this routine - while I'm increasing the weight slowly - feels a little stale.  Question:  Why is it recommended we work the muscles we already use in SBR and not focus on the strengthening other muscles that aren't used as much?  (Note: I haven't read the whole thing so maybe it changes up a bit and/or answers this)

The other thing we talked about - (and this might be too much information) - I have this pinch-an-inch around my middle that comes and goes at random - he thinks it's a cortisol issue.  I thought this interesting - hence sharing.  He was doing all this reading and apparently endurance athletes are some of the most overweight athletes out there.  One reason being that we (term used loosely - still a newb) tend to do a lot of the same prolonged activities and our body becomes accustomed to it.  Another reason is that when we are stressed - it affects our cortisol levels hence... belly fat.  He's offered to do a biosignature scan on me (he needs a guinea pig to further his research) and I've agreed out of curiousity.  I have a thyroid problem that has been acting up and I believe is causing my sleep deprivation issues - apparently this could also be one of the culprits so... Just curious if anyone else has heard anything about this?  Thinking I might even post on the main triathlon site and see what folks have to say...

Weightlighting stimulates muscles in a different way than SBR...Power/Strength vs Muscular Endurance.  Also, if you do the right type (dumbells vs. machine or barbell) of weight excercises, you recruit stability (surrounding) muscle groups and hence involve areas not normally stimultated by SBR.

The issue of variety is a good one.  Your body definitely adapts if you go more than 1-2 cycles (30-60 days) on a single routine, even though you may be increasing weight.  It is best to change, morph or expand your routine often to avoid this phenomenon.

As for the "pinch an inch", I'd speculate that it might take care of itself as you "teach" your body to use fat as its primary fuel source during excercise.

2010-01-08 6:25 PM

I did some weight lifting monday and it was an okay experience for first run. The only bad part was having to rearrange workouts due to soreness. The grunting, panting, dumbbell dropping meat heads are kinda annoying too. Will bring mp3 next time.

As for pinch an inch, for me the initial part of this process has brought a huge self awareness toward my body. However, this effect is also highly, highly correlated with the New Year's passing.  For example, in prep-ing for my swim brief I realized I had a lone strand of hair on my bicep & it was super duper long. I'm more conscience of ofther things too such as daily habits and how I allocate time and other resources.  So weird...

Have a great weekend everyone!! 

2010-01-08 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2604051

User image

Master
TORONTO
Bachelor Reform - 2010-01-08 7:25 PM I did some weight lifting monday and it was an okay experience for first run. The only bad part was having to rearrange workouts due to soreness. The grunting, panting, dumbbell dropping meat heads are kinda annoying too. Will bring mp3 next time.

As for pinch an inch, for me the initial part of this process has brought a huge self awareness toward my body. However, this effect is also highly, highly correlated with the New Year's passing.  For example, in prep-ing for my swim brief I realized I had a lone strand of hair on my bicep & it was super duper long. I'm more conscience of ofther things too such as daily habits and how I allocate time and other resources.  So weird...

Have a great weekend everyone!! 

So did you wax, shave or pluck it?

Interesting what Scott said about the TYPE of weight lifting.  I tend to steer for the machines because of what you describe Jordan - the meat heads in wife beater shirts (how do you like that generalization - lifting more than maybe they should can be really intimidating to someone who struggles benching less than 50 lbs!!  Maybe I'll find a kettle bell and have some fun one of these days.
2010-01-09 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2604087

So did you wax, shave or pluck it?

shaving is the path of least resistance

2010-01-09 12:00 PM

User image

My wife bought me a swim cap because I kept complaining about water in my ears. Wore my goggles over the cap. I was wondering if this is the proper way to wear them or do you place the strap under the cap. The cap made me feel aerodynamic and I set a new personal best in my swim distance.
2010-01-09 12:31 PM
in reply to: #2604864

User image

Master
TORONTO
zexx9 - 2010-01-09 1:00 PM My wife bought me a swim cap because I kept complaining about water in my ears. Wore my goggles over the cap. I was wondering if this is the proper way to wear them or do you place the strap under the cap. The cap made me feel aerodynamic and I set a new personal best in my swim distance.

I wear mine over the cap. 
Next you'll be shaving your body!! Wink

Sweet of your wife to think of you...
2010-01-09 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2604864

User image

Veteran
Toronto
I find that when I wear them over the cap the cap slides thru the session and my goggles (aquashere) loose their seal. So I either go without a cap or where them under.

2010-01-09 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Have been a bit slack lately. Need to pick a plan to get me thru to March 1st when I will start swimming again. Don't want to put more hours on my shoulder as I had a reconstruction from years of swimming and repeated dislocations.
Just gotten over the cold I had.
And on Fri morning my Dad died in NZ. I won't be going back for the funeral as I choose to go there in Nov and see him. Will go back in March to take care of the ashes.
So hope to get to the gym today if the little one plays along and we get to the daycare before it closes - she's having her nap now.
2010-01-09 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2604908

User image

alexenafi - 2010-01-09 12:41 PMHave been a bit slack lately. Need to pick a plan to get me thru to March 1st when I will start swimming again. Don't want to put more hours on my shoulder as I had a reconstruction from years of swimming and repeated dislocations.
And on Fri morning my Dad died in NZ. I won't be going back for the funeral as I choose to go there in Nov and see him. Will go back in March to take care of the ashes.
So hope to get to the gym today if the little one plays along and we get to the daycare before it closes - she's having her nap now.
Sorry about your dad. I too have been suffering from shoulder pain for the last 7 months. Not too sure what I did, but I cannot throw anything or do overhead pressing movements. This injury is kinda why I chose triathlon as something to accomplish. I have no pain swimming and still do some free weights with the shoulder. Going for an ultrasound this month and hopefully a diagnosis.
2010-01-09 5:52 PM

User image

Subject: Scottt's Group
Hi guys I really need to stop lurking in this group and start posting, Thanks for all the links and advice giving out so far.

I have put everyone's training blogs into my google reader so hopefully the RSS feeds keep me up to date easily in one easy page.

I am wondering how long it takes to be able to swim and breath easily as I am struggling to go above 50 meters without being completely breathless and my heartrate soars. I have tried taking breaths at the shallow end for a few minutes but when I start to swim it all goes. Did you guys find it just clicked one day or is it more a case of slowly building up the skill? Also did many of you use fins when learning or is it better just build up without aids.
2010-01-09 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2605265

User image

Subject: RE: Scottt's Group
jforrest - 2010-01-09 5:52 PM Hi guys I really need to stop lurking in this group and start posting, Thanks for all the links and advice giving out so far.

I have put everyone's training blogs into my google reader so hopefully the RSS feeds keep me up to date easily in one easy page.

I am wondering how long it takes to be able to swim and breath easily as I am struggling to go above 50 meters without being completely breathless and my heartrate soars. I have tried taking breaths at the shallow end for a few minutes but when I start to swim it all goes. Did you guys find it just clicked one day or is it more a case of slowly building up the skill? Also did many of you use fins when learning or is it better just build up without aids.

I had to find a pace I could maintain for a long time. I have definitely slowed down in order to maintain my pace and I am turning my eyes to the roof to get a good breath of air.  I would not use any aids as they require more muscle strength and in turn more oxygen is needed to function.  I would recommend slowing down in an attempt to swim longer. 
2010-01-09 7:04 PM

alexenafi -Have been a bit slack lately. Need to pick a plan to get me thru to March 1st when I will start swimming again. Don't want to put more hours on my shoulder as I had a reconstruction from years of swimming and repeated dislocations.

Sorry about your loss. Life is difficult to train through sometimes. Maybe odd hours would help? I used to workout at midnight and beyond sometimes. Its very peaceful at those hours too.

jforrest - Hi guys I really need to stop lurking in this group and start posting, Thanks for all the links and advice giving out so far.

A pull buoy help me a little bit. I just had to realize nothing bad would happen in the pool.

2010-01-09 7:11 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
Bachelor Reform - 2010-01-08 8:31 AM Diet question kinda..

Throw them out!  I find if junk food is aorund I will eat them in times of desperation(no meals planned out).  Having the junk out of the house forces me to eat healthy.  Just my take on it.

Edited by srichards428 2010-01-09 7:25 PM
2010-01-09 7:24 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
I'm still here!

I have a 12 week plan picked and have it with me most of the time(even at work).  I have not posted the plan but maybe I will look at a tri plan with BT for posting.  Iam having a difficult time with work and family and being able to post everything(nutrition).

I have picked a race in May to be my first tri...not sure if you would call it a A race.  I feel like I will be a happy to just finish the first race...lol.  I have been looking at several other tri's and a few 5k's.  I'm finding it difficult to plan all races that are later in the year (have not been posted with race dates).

2010-01-09 7:52 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
jforrest - 2010-01-09 6:52 PM

I always thought I was a strong swimmer until Dec. '07 I decided to start swimming laps.  I swam 50m and was suddenly aware that I was WEAK!  I think my maximum swim was 300m and I had to take significant breaks at each end of the pool (50m pool).  I could only breath on my right side.  But I kept at it - 3x a week for about 30 min each session.  Initially I just focused on swimming the distance.  Then I started to work on bilateral breathing which was incredibly awkward at first but I now it just feels natural.   I think for a long time there I was swimming 2:30+/100m and now have shaved it to around 2:05-2:15/100m .  Hang in there - it'll come with time.  Like some of the others said - I would go at a pace you feel comfortable with and just get the distance going - then worry about breathing.  Fiona might have some better advice as she has a swimming background I think. 

One thing I would recommend - because I found it helped me - is rather than lifting and cranking your head out of the water to breath - think of your body with a string running through it from your head down - and you are like a bob spinning on that string - rotating to the right and breath, then spinning towards the bottom of the pool, head down, then your whole body rotating to the left.... hard to explain but it's a smooth motion - keep hips and shoulders aligned, head tucked against other arm and rotate.  There are some swim videos on this site - I can never find them easily:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/index.asp?catid=19/>
I still don't use any aids other than a flutter board.
2010-01-10 12:34 PM

User image

Regular
Salem
Need some help.

I have my first race scheduled for May.  I have picked another race in July that is approximatley 4-5 weeks from the first race.  How do I train for the second race that is four weeks away?  Do I go back to the endurance phase of my plan or do I take my plan and work from the end that that will allow me to complete it by the 4th or 5th week?  I hope I explained clearly.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scottt's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18