BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2010-01-05 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2594126

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
Subject: RE: cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed
garryowen96 - 2010-01-04 11:29 PM

That sucks. Southwest has been adding a bunch of cheap flights to Denver and there's some kind of race almost every weekend in CO.  There are at least 3 of us in this group from CO. . .come on out and we'll cheer you on.

As a side note. . .for anyone flying with a bike; Southwest, Frontier, and Jet Blue have the lowest and least restrictive bike fees.  United is the WORST. . .thier fees and restrictions amount to piracy. 
Flying out to CO sounds fun... Frontier flys out of Akron-Canton to Denver, so I think flights would be cheap.  Maybe next year's 70.3 in Boulder? 

2010-01-05 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2574061

User image

Here are my current training plans.

The month of January I am just trying to get into the gym to do something once a day with 1 or 2 days rest. I am following the Couch to 5K on my running and the sprint training plan on my biking and swimming.
I start the ½ marathon training in February and mix in some swimming and biking along with that. My goal for this month is to increase my distances in swimming and running. I am using a 12 week ½ marathon training plan for the run and adding biking and swimming on a step increase in distance
March is a mixture of starting an 11 week Olympic distance triathlon training plan along with the continuing of the 12 week ½ marathon plan
April is the completion of my ½ marathon plan and running the Country Music Marathon and continuing my triathlon training
May is the completion of my triathlon training plan and the Memphis in May Triathlon.
During the whole time I plan on running a couple 5k and 10k races.

Diet
Right now my only diet is
Drink at least 72 measured ounces of water
Minimize my eating out
Drink only water, tea, and coffee with juice and milk every so often. No soda or sweat tea
Eat 6 meals
Eat fruit and vegetables as snacks
If I have a choice in foods eat the better choice
Minimize my beer

I do have a couple of question. Those with kids how do you work around them? I have a 4 month old and a 3 year old. I would love to hit the gym in the mornings but it all depends on when the youngest gets up. Some mornings are great and others her timing is off. Right now my lunch break is when I am hitting the gym but as my work out time increases I may be pushing my lunch break. The evening are tough bacause after kiddie time, baths, and chores I am pushing bed time. Does it hurt to work out right before bed?

Any comments or suggestions on training plans, diet, or work out times are welcomed.
Thanks
Kevin

2010-01-05 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2595094

User image

Expert

klmccllg - 2010-01-05 10:07 AM

Minimize my beer

Good luck with that!

Training with kids--Difficult but doable with careful planning.  I have three boys (7,5,2) and have lots of ways to get a workout done with kids.  I, like you, cannot workout after I get home from work.  It is just too hectic and the boys require a ton from me.  By the time they are in bed, I'm spent.  I have to get up early to get anything done.  I have a supporting wife who takes mornings (during the week only) with the boys so I can get out of the house early.  I use my lunch hour and push the boundaries here although I do have the luxury of being a consultant and really don't get questioned about my hours in the office unless the work doesn't get done. 

I take my kids with me a lot.  The older two can ride their own bikes while I push the youngest in the stroller for runs.  I can get away with 6 miles but then the older ones complain.  While training for IM Louisville, I pulled my boys (only had two then) in a trailer for rides up to 3 hours.  Just get them snacks, games, and plenty of gatorade.  I invested in two Chariot Cougar strollers that convert to a trailer.  One fits two boys and the other one.  They were extremely expensive but well worth it as you can take them anywhere and your kids are comfortable.  I've taken my youngest on runs (at his nap time) in 30 degree weather (we have the wind proof fleece liner kit for the inside).  If the sun is shining the trailer acts like a greenhouse.  I do plan a lot around naptimes so that the chosen boy or two will sleep all or most of the workout.  This means no complaining.

Get creative, use naps to your advantage, and make sure your children are having fun (count mailboxes, dogs, milfs, roadkill, etc.)! 

2010-01-05 11:56 AM

User image

Hi all,

sorry to be so absent, we were travelling and now finally we are home and the kids are back in school. 

I have a 4.5 and 8 year old, and getting training in can be hard.  I work half-time and am responsible for the home, child care, etc the rest of the time.   Like Cayrip, if I don't get a workout in in the morning, it isn't going to happen, with the exception of a Sunday swim class.  During the week I usually go to the gym at 5:00 am if I need to swim or bike.  I'll run outside in the dark or in the cold, but not both (as an over 40 y.o. woman, I can't afford a fall on ice).   I am lucky in that I can often take one weekday morning after the kids are in school to work out for a couple hours, so I can do a longer bike, run or brick then.  My DH is very supportive, but also runs, so we still get up pretty early on the weekends to get workouts in before the kids' activities start up.   I don't really know how I'll fit in the 4-6 hour sessions I will need for my HIM, but my DH and I both know that for my peak 4-6 weeks it will just be pretty ugly in terms of scheduling, and I think they will happen after his target half marathon this spring, so the timing should work out. 

Figuring out this triathalon thing for me is a work in progress, it definitely was easier when I knew my workout would just involve putting on my running shoes.

Cat

2010-01-05 12:00 PM

How do I join the thread? I have missed something? I thought this was the thread.
2010-01-05 12:15 PM

User image

So, my holiday excitement was that my DH got me a trainer for Christmas, which means as soon as I get it set up I can ride in my basement, instead of going to the club for spin class.  This also means I can get up to 2 hours of time on the trainer in the amount of time it takes me to get to the club, take class, cool down and get home.

But before that I need some advice, because I need to get my bike setup squared away.  I am clueless about bikes and don't really like the bike riding part of this (well, I took a few leisurely 30 mile rides this fall and they were pretty nice, but the actual bike part of the equation is very intimidating).  I have 2 bikes.  One I bought last summer after I got a stress fracture and needed to start cross-training.  I wasn't sure I would be biking more then the 6 weeks it was going to take for my foot to heal.  The bike is a Giant OCR 3 - about the cheapest road bike you can buy (I got it for $350.00).  Then I bought an old bike (probably like 7-9 years old) from a friend for $100.  He did a bunch of HIM on this and performed well, won some divisions.  He thought the bike would fit me but I wasn't sure, it seems big, however I figured with regular pedals my DH could just ride it for recreation and you can't buy anything new cheaper, even at Target  Foot in mouth  It was a really nice bike at the time, all or mostly carbon, but I don't recall who it by, it has been sitting in my garage this winter).  It has aerobars he added on to it.  

Anyway, I have a very limited amount of cash that can be dedicated to bike upgrades, what I have is pretty much what I have, with the exception that I need to get bike shoes and maybe some smaller items.  My plan was to poach the aerobars and the old pedals (basic Shimano SPDs I think) and have the LBS put them on my OCR3.  But now I am thinking that I might as well take the older bike with me to the LBS and see if they think the fit would work.  If it fits, I am guessing  if the bike was cleaned up it might be a better choice then my OCR3 (which seems fine but the shifting components are pretty bad and make a racket at times).  On the other hand, the great thing about my OCR3 is that it does have a granny ring, which I have used happily (I try to keep high cadence and it comes in handy, although I do think my bike muscles are much stronger after spin classes 3 x a week since fall).  Or is a 8 year old bike just a bad choice regardless?   Any ideas?

Thanks, Cat

2010-01-05 1:15 PM

CO
Cayrip,

What are the "peaches" about?  Is that sort of a Carpe Diem, Dead Poets Society type thing for exercise?
2010-01-05 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2594768

User image

Pro
NorCal
Am I too special to NOT be included on the list?!  LOL!!!

cayrip - 2010-01-05 7:24 AM

Hey folks..here is a rundown of who I see as being active.  Anybody know where the others are?  Just my quick assessment.  If I'm wrong, let me know but I want to see us all active on this site to get the most out of our 2010.  This is a GREAT YEAR!

Cameron--cayrip  Yes

Cara--GotTorgue?  Yes

Cat--Catalana  Yes on logging but not on the Thread

Cody--clewis38  No

Kevin--klmccllg  No but promised to be. 

Brett--bws1975  Yes on logging but not on the Thread

Mike--bartimaeus  Yes--4 peaches this year so far

Joe--garryowen96  Yes..been hammering the bike!

Justin--jtdintaipei  No? No log access and hasn't posted since the first day.

Kurt--Cozmo  Yes--jury duty?

Pauline--pdc33  Yes on log...No on thread.  First Tri in 103 days...start asking questions!

Alexander--RedRiver  No--Where did you go?  No workouts logged and no thread responses

Bret--bmason  No but has been busy with the kids and skiing--log your skiing...it counts!

Wayne--capt.awesome  No

Xavi "XTB"--xavi  Yes--in Hong Kong so sleeps while we train and we sleep while he trains.

2010-01-05 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2595496

User image

Pro
NorCal
bartimaeus - 2010-01-05 11:15 AM Cayrip,

What are the "peaches" about?  Is that sort of a Carpe Diem, Dead Poets Society type thing for exercise?

Peaches refer to a challenge that I started over a year ago in the Challenge board.  When you train, the square for the day turns "peach" colored.  The idea of the challenge is to do SOMETHING EVERYDAY.  I t does not need to be tri specific, but move your body.  If you are blessed with the ability to move your body, why waste it!!??
2010-01-05 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2595283

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
bws1975 - 2010-01-05 1:00 PM How do I join the thread? I have missed something? I thought this was the thread.
Hi Brett, I think they want you to be active in the thread.  Ask questions, share your goals, etc. 
2010-01-05 1:46 PM

CO
You know, since logging workouts, I'm finding myself addicted to getting the numbers up, and peaches. 

What happened to rest/recovery days?

2010-01-05 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2595587

User image

Pro
NorCal
bartimaeus - 2010-01-05 11:46 AM You know, since logging workouts, I'm finding myself addicted to getting the numbers up, and peaches. 

What happened to rest/recovery days?

Peaches are addictive!  I have not had a white or yellow box since 9/1/08, the day after Ironman KY.  ON "rest" days I usually walk, stretch or go for a hike.  Nothing too intense, but movement!
2010-01-05 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2595321

User image

Pro
NorCal
Catalana - 2010-01-05 10:15 AM So, my holiday excitement was that my DH got me a trainer for Christmas, which means as soon as I get it set up I can ride in my basement, instead of going to the club for spin class.  This also means I can get up to 2 hours of time on the trainer in the amount of time it takes me to get to the club, take class, cool down and get home.

But before that I need some advice, because I need to get my bike setup squared away.  I am clueless about bikes and don't really like the bike riding part of this (well, I took a few leisurely 30 mile rides this fall and they were pretty nice, but the actual bike part of the equation is very intimidating).  I have 2 bikes.  One I bought last summer after I got a stress fracture and needed to start cross-training.  I wasn't sure I would be biking more then the 6 weeks it was going to take for my foot to heal.  The bike is a Giant OCR 3 - about the cheapest road bike you can buy (I got it for $350.00).  Then I bought an old bike (probably like 7-9 years old) from a friend for $100.  He did a bunch of HIM on this and performed well, won some divisions.  He thought the bike would fit me but I wasn't sure, it seems big, however I figured with regular pedals my DH could just ride it for recreation and you can't buy anything new cheaper, even at Target  Foot in mouth  It was a really nice bike at the time, all or mostly carbon, but I don't recall who it by, it has been sitting in my garage this winter).  It has aerobars he added on to it.  

Anyway, I have a very limited amount of cash that can be dedicated to bike upgrades, what I have is pretty much what I have, with the exception that I need to get bike shoes and maybe some smaller items.  My plan was to poach the aerobars and the old pedals (basic Shimano SPDs I think) and have the LBS put them on my OCR3.  But now I am thinking that I might as well take the older bike with me to the LBS and see if they think the fit would work.  If it fits, I am guessing  if the bike was cleaned up it might be a better choice then my OCR3 (which seems fine but the shifting components are pretty bad and make a racket at times).  On the other hand, the great thing about my OCR3 is that it does have a granny ring, which I have used happily (I try to keep high cadence and it comes in handy, although I do think my bike muscles are much stronger after spin classes 3 x a week since fall).  Or is a 8 year old bike just a bad choice regardless?   Any ideas?

Thanks, Cat

If you are more comfortable on the ORC3, stick with it.  You said shifting is not so great, has it been tuned up recently?  Chain lubed?  If you want/need the granny gear, stay with it.  If the other bike fits your hubby, you have an instant training partner!!
2010-01-05 2:16 PM
in reply to: #2595544

User image

Expert

AbbieR - 2010-01-05 12:30 PM Am I too special to NOT be included on the list?!  LOL!!!

Damn...you noticed.  Abbie, you are so special you are beyond listing.  Your peaches inspire each one of us daily and help us reach new heights in our fitness. 

Abbie--AbbieR --YES

How is that? 

2010-01-05 2:18 PM

User image

Expert

Sport Physiologist's response to why it is important to spin when riding a bike.

"

Humans have three types of muscle cells (aka, muscle fibers), Type I, Type IIa, and Type IId.  Each muscle cell type performs differently.  The basis for this differential function is the protein motor, myosin, that initiates the process of contraction.  The motor found in Type I cells drives contractions that are not very forceful, but it is very fatigue resistant (ie, the motors can fire again and again without taking a rest).  The Type IId fibers generate a very powerful contraction.  However, once these motors have "fired" they need a break before they can contract again.  The Type IIa fibers have properties that lie between those of the other two fibers.  They produce relatively forceful contractions, and can maintain those contractions for a fairly long period of time.  

In addition to the differences of contractile force, the muscle fiber types have different nutritional requirements.  The Type IId fibers use instantaneous energy sources, ATP, ADP, CP.  While these can be broken down quickly (think simple sugar versus complex sugar), the cell has a very finite supply of them at any given time.  Once the energy source is depleted, the fibers can not fire until the energy stockpiles are regenerated.  Type I fibers, still use ATP as the basic fuel for contraction, but they generate ATP by first breaking down fat and glucose.  The process of metabolism takes time, but given the amount of glucose and fat store in the body there is essentially a limitless supply of fuel for Type I fiber contractions.  

So, to begin answering your question let's first imagine two people doing a bench press.  Person 1 has 300 pounds on the bar while person 2 has 50 pounds on the bar.  Person 1 can do 1 rep and then has to wait 1min before being able to do the next rep.  Person 2 can lift the weight without needing to take a break.  Who does more work (ie, who has lifted the most pounds) in two minutes?  Person 2.  This situation is analogous to mashing versus spinning.  We can also think about this is a race-specific situation.  Let's talk about the short term (let's say a hilly sprint triathlon), mashing up the hills on a bike would require force production from the Type IId and Type IIa fibers.  The Type IId fibers would quickly get fatigued, and it would result in a drop in overall power output (because now only the IIa fibers are providing contractile force).  If you were to spin up that hill you would stress the IIa and I fibers.  While this might not provide the "punch" initially seen with the mashing, you would be able to maintain this total force production until the end of the race.  This would hopefully save your Type IId fibers for that last sprint to the finish line.  

In the longer term (say the Tour de France) there is also an implication of using the mashing technique.  Because Type IId fibers are prone to contraction-induced damage (they produce so much force they can literally pull themselves apart), mashing results in greater levels of muscle damage than the Type I-fueld spinning.  This damage takes time to recover.  On the order of 10 days for full recovery.  If a rider can avoid that damage during a hilly stage in the middle of the Tour they are likely to be able to perform at a higher level in subsequent stages.  Maybe this damage isn't much, but the Tour is won with a 1% difference.  Every little thing like this has to be taken into account. "

2010-01-05 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2595678

User image

Pro
NorCal
cayrip - 2010-01-05 12:16 PM

AbbieR - 2010-01-05 12:30 PM Am I too special to NOT be included on the list?!  LOL!!!

Damn...you noticed.  Abbie, you are so special you are beyond listing.  Your peaches inspire each one of us daily and help us reach new heights in our fitness. 

Abbie--AbbieR --YES

How is that? 

PERFECTION!!!!!!!

2010-01-05 7:06 PM

User image

Hong Kong
Cayrip's, AbbieR or anyone on that group, 

Next week I will be in Philadelphia,(then "we will train and sleep at same time" hahaha) I need two things to be answered:

1. Trainer bike? Which one should I buy? Store or thru internet? This one looks awsome...but quite expensive! Can someone help me to choose my bike trainer? Like this I will spend more bike training time at home with kids and wife!

http://www.worldcycling.com/TACX-FORTIUS-MULTIPLAYER-VIRTUAL-REALITY-TRAINER/productinfo/TAXI-MAGFORTMP/

2. Triathlon training diet...I  am more wondering if someone has like a daily diversified menu tasty and healthy for myself? I want to loose 15lbs (from 102Kgs to 95Kgs by my firs goal Half Ironman Singapore 2010 in March 21st)

Thanks a lot,

"XTB" Xavi.
2010-01-05 8:01 PM

CO
Here's the trainer I bought:
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1077305_-1_64000_20000_64513

Works good enough.

I bought rollers also, but haven't really gotten going on them.

I also looked at this, since it seemed cool it would rock back and forth, making it easier to stand up.
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1083745_-1_64000_20000_64513

But, for my beginner biking experience the cheaper was better.  I just put it in front of the tv and watch movies/sports.  You could also get dvds of bike riding experiences, or spinnervals (???) .

There's also Computrainer for the serious bikers, or those with lots of expendable cash:http://www.racermateinc.com/computrainer.asp
2010-01-05 8:07 PM

CO
When I started real training for Tri, doing about 4-5 hours a week, of runs of 1 hour and bike rides of 1 hour and swimming of 1 hour, I lost 10 pounds in about 2 months, without changing my diet (other than cutting out some junk food.)  I was amazed and a little concerned.

I think that just doing more of longer workouts, without eating alot before hand, really gets your body to start metabolizing more.  I think it really is just a matter of not overestimating how much you really burn on the workout.  Also, training your body to do the workout without a big snack before hand helps.

Now after that easy initial 6-10% loss, I'm sure you'd need to work harder at a real diet plan.

YMMV
2010-01-05 9:16 PM
in reply to: #2596500

User image

Veteran
Maryland
What is your favorite (healthy) snack?

I'm always looking for healthy snack options to keep me away from the bad ones.
Currently, my favorites are honey crisp apples and clementines.
2010-01-05 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2596643

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Swimmer's ear plugs

Can anyone recommend good ear plugs for swimming?

I don't really care to get water in my ears (especially when I'm turning my head and attempting to breathe) so I thought ear plugs would help. My local sports store had two kinds, some about the size of a quarter and thick, and some about the size of peas. I thought the small ones were too small so opted for the big ones.

To use these ear plugs, you're supposed to roll them into a ball (they didn't really roll into a ball very well) and carefully insert into your ear. OK, maybe I didn't do something right, but it didn't seem they fit very securely, and after about 15 minutes in the pool, they came out.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks!

2010-01-05 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Cayrip just reminded me that my first tri is 108 days away.

It's just a sprint (250m pool swim, 9.3 mile bike, 2.5 mile run).

I'm not worried about the bike, even though I haven't ridden my bike forever and when I do it's  quite a leisurely ride. Not worried about the run at all as my shortest run this winter is 3 miles and 6 mile long runs.

The part that concerns me is THE SWIM.

My first tri HAS to have a pool swim so I feel good about that.

I don't really know how to swim, didn't take lessons as a kid, have taken a few as an adult. THe most I've ever swam was freestyle the length of a 25(yd/m?), let's just call it short pool with much effort. That was a few years ago.

My biggest problem was not being able to breathe and swim. Rather than turning my head to the side, I would turn it up, my back side would go down, I would lose momentum and found it hard to get going. Did I mention even this was a few years ago?

I got back in the pool on Sunday pretty much just to get back into the water. Very glad I went, but did not even attempt to breathe and swim at the same time.

Now I have a new concern. Almost 10 years ago I broke my right arm, the two bones below the elbow. The day after I swam, my arm started hurting and still hurts. Because of this, I decided not to swim tomorrow as I had originally planned. Using a mouse on a computer doesn't help matters either!

It seems to just train for a tri you should be doing each discipline twice a week. For me with swimming, it seems I should definitely be doing more. My goal was three times a week, until the arm issue.

I'm thinking about taking swimming lessons at my gym. I've spoken to the gal, and it sounds like it will be a private lesson and she's very flexible, it's not like we have to follow an established plan. My concern is, I've taken lessons in the past, but they weren't able to resolve my breathing issue. But I would also like to learn how to tread water and perhaps the back stroke and breast stroke so I can have some alternative swim styles.

Thoughts??

Hey Cayrip, how's that for a post to the thread?
2010-01-05 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2596681

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Swimming cont'd....

Also, is there anything you can do outside the pool to help your swimming? I once saw there was this piece of equipment you could buy, I think you would pull it and it was supposed to mimic how you "pull" the water when you swim. Can't remember the name of it, think it may have been mentioned in a Total Immersion article/e-mail?
2010-01-05 10:20 PM

User image

Sorry guys, as Cayrip said, I have been out of town with my two oldest sons youth group. My plans for this year include trying to really improve my swim.  I start tomorrow at 5:30 am with the masters group at local college pool.  It has been freezing here in Illinois and hard to get outside at all.  While in Michigan skiing I went running in 8 inches of fresh snow.  It was awesome, peaceful, quiet but hard to run.  I took a photo on my phone on my album.

I am also excited to be running my first marathon in NYC in November for a charity benefiting brain cancer patients.  You can check out the web site that was just set for my fundraising at http://www.active.com/donate/teammcgrawnyc2010/tmnycm10BMason

Also, one of the threads ask about tt bikes vs. road.  I am excited about my recent purchase of a new tt bike (picture on album) and can't wait for the weather to break!
2010-01-05 10:22 PM

User image

I forgot to thank you all for the inpires-very cool!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's and AbbieR's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18