BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-01-12 7:31 PM
in reply to: #2610230

User image

Regular
Subject: HTFU - I love the acronym!
Hi Everyone,4:15 a.m. came real early today but as I tried to talk myself out of getting up I thought, "HTFU". I got out of bed laughing :-). I swam 350 yds in 20 minutes; 50 yds more than last week. The run was the same: 1.5 miles in 20 minutes. I just got my bike this weekend and my husband assembled the trainer for me. Tomorrow begins the love affair with the bike.Denise

Edited by dajotkjo 2010-01-12 7:38 PM

2010-01-12 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2610230

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED
askinner13 - 2010-01-12 4:25 PM

Hey Pat, Alice and group, sorry I haven't participated much via posts lately, but I do have to say that I have read each and every post (via email from my iphone) and am learning a ton and have continued to stay inspired.  I have been keeping up my training log, but lately havent been able to train as much.  My wife had a baby last thursday and its been kinda hectic.  Yup a beautiful little girl {I know I am biased, but she's a cutie Laughing}

Oh my goodness! Congratulations!!!! Well, certainly focus on that for awhile!

The nice thing about newborns is that they can chill out while you ride indoors on the trainer, unlike my kids, LOL! But then my kids don't cry in the middle of the night without being able to tell my why, so I will stop complaining. Just kidding. My life is SO much easier than when I had little tiny babies! Just do what you can, man!

2010-01-12 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2610659

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: HTFU - I love the acronym!
dajotkjo - 2010-01-12 8:31 PM Hi Everyone,4:15 a.m. came real early today but as I tried to talk myself out of getting up I thought, "HTFU". I got out of bed laughing :-). I swam 350 yds in 20 minutes; 50 yds more than last week. The run was the same: 1.5 miles in 20 minutes. I just got my bike this weekend and my husband assembled the trainer for me. Tomorrow begins the love affair with the bike.Denise

That's awesome! Way to go! I'm surprised your swim place opens that early .... where do you swim? The YMCAs around here open at 5:30 or 6. I thought getting up at 5:15 am was bad! Props to you!
2010-01-12 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2583522

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Just wanted to give you guys an update on me.

I recently discovered a YMCA about 10 blocks from the high school where I swim with my team. I swim from 5:45 to 6:45 a.m., on Monday, Wed and Friday. I don't work until 8:30 a.m., so I had just been going in early and trying to leave early, but it's hard to leave early because other people are there asking you to do things.
Anyway, I discovered this YMCA and they have Y-cycling (spinning) from 7-8 on Monday and Wednesday and Boot Camp on Friday, same time slot.

So I can leave swimming and head to the Y three days a week, which gives me three days where I have two hours of working out in before I get to work! This is awesome! In most years, that would be enough training right there! This year, since I am doing ironman, I have to run on the other days, and do Plyometrics one night, and then still do one workout Sat and one Sun.

But this new schedule is working out great.

I had to tweak my training plan. I substituted Boot Camp for weight lifting. And I increased by one bike session a week, since I spin twice a week now. (I was working off two training plans, taking some from each. One had 3 bikes per week and one had two. I had been doing two since it was a pain. Now it's easy, so I'm doing 3.) For some reason I find it much easier to get up for swimming, knowing I have TWO workouts that I'll miss if I stay in bed.

And it's much harder for me to miss workouts, getting so many of them done before anyone at my house is even awake.

Sorry to bore you with all that. The moral of the story is, it's OK to change up your training plan if your logistics change.
2010-01-13 5:34 PM

New user

Burnt myself out today.

Did my 24 mile bike commute (1st time since my shoulder accident) and was soooo tired after getting home.

Tonight was swim night as well and although I really wanted to swim, made a hard decision to have a lazy night and played on the Wii instead.

I'm really glad I did.

I've learnt from experience that it's far to easy to overtrain.

Good new for you Alice - I don't know how you guys get up so early though!

Pat...

2010-01-13 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2610732

User image

Regular
dajotkjo - 2010-01-12 8:31 PM Hi Everyone,4:15 a.m. came real early today but as I tried to talk myself out of getting up I thought, "HTFU". I got out of bed laughing :-). I swam 350 yds in 20 minutes; 50 yds more than last week. The run was the same: 1.5 miles in 20 minutes. I just got my bike this weekend and my husband assembled the trainer for me. Tomorrow begins the love affair with the bike.DeniseThat's awesome! Way to go! I'm surprised your swim place opens that early .... where do you swim? The YMCAs around here open at 5:30 or 6. I thought getting up at 5:15 am was bad! Props to you!-----Alice Hohl, Columbus, OhioI start work at 7:00 and the Y's here don't open until 5:30 as well. There is a hospital near my job that has a health center and they offer inexpensive corporate rates to other businesses. They open at 5:00 and the pool is always empty. They do offer spinning classes but not until 6:15 a.m. which is too late for me. Denise

Edited by dajotkjo 2010-01-13 8:01 PM

2010-01-13 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2610741

User image

Regular
ahohl - 2010-01-12 9:27 PMJust wanted to give you guys an update on me.

I recently discovered a YMCA about 10 blocks from the high school where I swim with my team. I swim from 5:45 to 6:45 a.m., on Monday, Wed and Friday. I don't work until 8:30 a.m., so I had just been going in early and trying to leave early, but it's hard to leave early because other people are there asking you to do things.
Anyway, I discovered this YMCA and they have Y-cycling (spinning) from 7-8 on Monday and Wednesday and Boot Camp on Friday, same time slot.

So I can leave swimming and head to the Y three days a week, which gives me three days where I have two hours of working out in before I get to work! This is awesome! In most years, that would be enough training right there! This year, since I am doing ironman, I have to run on the other days, and do Plyometrics one night, and then still do one workout Sat and one Sun.

But this new schedule is working out great.

I had to tweak my training plan. I substituted Boot Camp for weight lifting. And I increased by one bike session a week, since I spin twice a week now. (I was working off two training plans, taking some from each. One had 3 bikes per week and one had two. I had been doing two since it was a pain. Now it's easy, so I'm doing 3.) For some reason I find it much easier to get up for swimming, knowing I have TWO workouts that I'll miss if I stay in bed.

And it's much harder for me to miss workouts, getting so many of them done before anyone at my house is even awake.

Sorry to bore you with all that. The moral of the story is, it's OK to change up your training plan if your logistics change.
When I grow up, I want to be like you Alice :-)
2010-01-14 12:47 AM

Katy
My boys brought home  a stomach virus last Friday and I was unable to be more than 15 feet from a bathroom for 48 hours; and my internet at home was down, so I haven't been able to enter anything!  I walked for 30 min on Monday and it was all I could do.  Tuesday I biked for 30 min and felt ok. Today I walked/jogged for 40 min and think I'm through it!
This Sunday my 12 year old and I are walking/jogging the Houston Half-Marathon.  I'm hoping he feels the satisfaction of working hard to accomplish something, and it motivates him to get out and move more and set some fitness goals.  That great sense of achievement is something you can't teach; it only comes from experience.

Congrats on the baby girl!! You can get her a "tri daddy tri" onsie!

Catherine
2010-01-14 2:34 PM

New user

Thanks everyone for the kinds words!  I was just telling my nephew how friendly and supportive people are in this sport and your notes are just a testament of that!
I am back on a routine and it feels good.  I will need to balance out the whole sleep deprivation thing, but at least I am back on schedule. The Ultramaraton man - Dean Karnazes says he only sleeps 4 hours a night because he doesnt want to sleep 1/3 of his life away. Hmmmmm,  maybe theres hope for me Wink .

Yesterday I did 500m and was pooped!  I too get confused sometimes with counting my lengths, so I tried the method of using the months as a way to keep track, like Alice mentioned previously.  That worked for me.  Thanks Alice for that tip.

2010-01-14 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2613096

New user

catroberts - 2010-01-14 12:47 AM My boys brought home  a stomach virus last Friday and I was unable to be more than 15 feet from a bathroom for 48 hours; and my internet at home was down, so I haven't been able to enter anything!  I walked for 30 min on Monday and it was all I could do.  Tuesday I biked for 30 min and felt ok. Today I walked/jogged for 40 min and think I'm through it!
This Sunday my 12 year old and I are walking/jogging the Houston Half-Marathon.  I'm hoping he feels the satisfaction of working hard to accomplish something, and it motivates him to get out and move more and set some fitness goals.  That great sense of achievement is something you can't teach; it only comes from experience.

Catherine

Sorry Catherine to hear about the stomach virus.  Hope everyone is better now. That's great that you and your son are doing the Houston half.  That experience together will last a life time.

I definitely need to find the "tri daddy tri" onesies. Especially when she gets older I'm sure I will be pushing a running stroller and pulling her on my bike.
2010-01-14 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2612804

New user

dajotkjo - 2010-01-13 8:00 PM dajotkjo - 2010-01-12 8:31 PM Hi Everyone,4:15 a.m. came real early today but as I tried to talk myself out of getting up I thought, "HTFU". I got out of bed laughing :-). I swam 350 yds in 20 minutes; 50 yds more than last week. The run was the same: 1.5 miles in 20 minutes. I just got my bike this weekend and my husband assembled the trainer for me. Tomorrow begins the love affair with the bike.DeniseThat's awesome! Way to go! I'm surprised your swim place opens that early .... where do you swim? The YMCAs around here open at 5:30 or 6. I thought getting up at 5:15 am was bad! Props to you!-----Alice Hohl, Columbus, OhioI start work at 7:00 and the Y's here don't open until 5:30 as well. There is a hospital near my job that has a health center and they offer inexpensive corporate rates to other businesses. They open at 5:00 and the pool is always empty. They do offer spinning classes but not until 6:15 a.m. which is too late for me. Denise

Denise, that HTFU motto really helps me. Folks in the pool probably think I am nuts telling myself H-T-F-U!  Or they might be triathletes themselves and just laugh at me...  It works though!  Nice job on the 350yrds.  I just went to the store yesterday and bought that block for the front tire.  Before getting involved in this group, i didnt even think to get one, but its helpful. The one I got allows you to simulate riding a hill.  I havent tried that yet, but thought I would mention it. Not sure if you got the block to go with your trainer...

2010-01-14 5:48 PM

New user

Someone might find this useful - if you live within 3 miles of work - walk in in the morning and jog home.

Commuting training FTW!

Pat...

2010-01-14 8:42 PM

User image

Regular
catroberts - 2010-01-14 1:47 AMMy boys brought home  a stomach virus last Friday and I was unable to be more than 15 feet from a bathroom for 48 hours; and my internet at home was down, so I haven't been able to enter anything!  I walked for 30 min on Monday and it was all I could do.  Tuesday I biked for 30 min and felt ok. Today I walked/jogged for 40 min and think I'm through it!

Catherine
Sorry about the virus :-( and good luck on the half marathon.Denise
2010-01-14 8:50 PM
in reply to: #2614419

User image

Regular
askinner13 - 2010-01-14 3:51 PM
dajotkjo - 2010-01-13 8:00 PM dajotkjo - 2010-01-12 8:31 PM Hi Everyone,4:15 a.m. came real early today but as I tried to talk myself out of getting up I thought, "HTFU". I got out of bed laughing :-). I swam 350 yds in 20 minutes; 50 yds more than last week. The run was the same: 1.5 miles in 20 minutes. I just got my bike this weekend and my husband assembled the trainer for me. Tomorrow begins the love affair with the bike.DeniseThat's awesome! Way to go! I'm surprised your swim place opens that early .... where do you swim? The YMCAs around here open at 5:30 or 6. I thought getting up at 5:15 am was bad! Props to you!-----Alice Hohl, Columbus, OhioI start work at 7:00 and the Y's here don't open until 5:30 as well. There is a hospital near my job that has a health center and they offer inexpensive corporate rates to other businesses. They open at 5:00 and the pool is always empty. They do offer spinning classes but not until 6:15 a.m. which is too late for me. Denise

Denise, that HTFU motto really helps me. Folks in the pool probably think I am nuts telling myself H-T-F-U!  Or they might be triathletes themselves and just laugh at me...  It works though!  Nice job on the 350yrds.  I just went to the store yesterday and bought that block for the front tire.  Before getting involved in this group, i didnt even think to get one, but its helpful. The one I got allows you to simulate riding a hill.  I havent tried that yet, but thought I would mention it. Not sure if you got the block to go with your trainer...
I got one block and you can stack multiple blocks to simulate hills. I figured I'd start with one. I got the CycloOps Mag; it got good reviews in the BT gear section. I've used it for the first time this week. It was a little jerky but once I got a good cadence going, the jerkiness went away. The gentleman who helped me told me that some people complain about the hum but that if you have children, the hum would be tolerable. He's right; the hum of the machine doesn't even come close to the noise generated by my 5 and 6 year old girls :-). Do you like your trainer?
2010-01-15 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2612804

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
dajotkjo - 2010-01-13 9:00 PM I start work at 7:00 and the Y's here don't open until 5:30 as well. There is a hospital near my job that has a health center and they offer inexpensive corporate rates to other businesses. They open at 5:00 and the pool is always empty. They do offer spinning classes but not until 6:15 a.m. which is too late for me. Denise

If the Y opens at 5:30 and you don't work until 7, why doesn't that work? How far is it from the Y closest to your job to work?
For me, I could work out for an hour, shower and dress for 10 minutes, drive 10 minutes, and still have a 10 minute cushion for getting my stuff in my bag, walking to the car, etc.
2010-01-15 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2612602

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Avoneer - 2010-01-13 6:34 PM

I don't know how you guys get up so early though!

Pat...

I used to hate it. I would actually feel sick to my stomach if I got up too early. But this was the only swim team that worked for me, and that was the only negative about it. Since I am paying for it, each time I miss I am wasting money, so that got me out of bed the first 2 weeks. Now it's just routine. I actually woke up before the alarm today!

2010-01-15 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
catroberts - 2010-01-14 1:47 AM My boys brought home  a stomach virus last Friday and I was unable to be more than 15 feet from a bathroom for 48 hours; and my internet at home was down, so I haven't been able to enter anything!  I walked for 30 min on Monday and it was all I could do.  Tuesday I biked for 30 min and felt ok. Today I walked/jogged for 40 min and think I'm through it!

Catherine

Bummer about the stomach virus! I had that thing several weeks back - just puked and puked, and then I was so weak until I could start eating again. At least it forced you to taper for the run! LOL! I hope you are back up to full strength Sunday.
That is so cool that you and your son are doing it together!!! Wow! Good luck! I bet it will be a powerful experience for him, especially with the spectators and everything.
2010-01-15 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2614761

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Avoneer - 2010-01-14 6:48 PM

Someone might find this useful - if you live within 3 miles of work - walk in in the morning and jog home.

Commuting training FTW!

Pat...

Great idea! If you live within 15 miles of work, bike there and back! (I can't do this during the time change in the winter. It's dark on the way and dark on the way home. The route I have to take isn't safe enough, even with lights.)
2010-01-15 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2615001

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
dajotkjo - 2010-01-14 9:50 PM

I got one block and you can stack multiple blocks to simulate hills. I figured I'd start with one. I got the CycloOps Mag; it got good reviews in the BT gear section. I've used it for the first time this week. It was a little jerky but once I got a good cadence going, the jerkiness went away. The gentleman who helped me told me that some people complain about the hum but that if you have children, the hum would be tolerable. He's right; the hum of the machine doesn't even come close to the noise generated by my 5 and 6 year old girls :-). Do you like your trainer?

LOL about the hum! We did eventually get one fluid trainer at our house, because my husband is such a strong rider that the mag trainer was just roaring, and if we were both riding and trying to watch something on TV or a movie, we literally could not turn the TV up loud enough to hear it over the noise. The fluid is super quiet, but I would have never sprung for a fluid starting out because of the price.

So I don't understand about the hills. It's not like you are pushing the weight of the bike up a hill. You are just training at the same resistance as normal, but at an angle. I don't really understand how that is like hill training. Maybe because I haven't tried it, I don't know. I suppose it could change the leg angle somewhat, or push you back on the saddle further. I would think a better way to simulate a hill would be to shift to a harder gear or increase the resistance on the tire.

Anyway, I'd like to hear more about this.
2010-01-15 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Tip of the day, Jan. 15, 2010:
Quick tip for saving time between swim workout and next workout.

This is a tip for people who have hair.
If you do a combined workout with a swim and then something else afterward, it can take a lot of time to change clothes because it's hard to put on workout clothes onto damp skin. They get all bunched up, etc. (This is why it's not recommended to change shirts or put on extra clothes in transition. They stick.)

Anyway, here's my tip - leave your swim cap on until you get changed. I did this today, and I didn't have nearly the fight with my top that I usually have. My wet hair wasn't contributing to the problem. I towel dried my skin and my cap, changed, and THEN took off my cap and goggles. Voila!

Of course this is only a good tip for people who care about shaving 3 minutes off their changing-clothes time. Personally, that's a big deal to me when I'm juggling a lot of commitments and always rushing around.
2010-01-15 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2615441

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
That's a great tip Alice! I hadn't though about that and I hate changing after the swim to hit the bike because as you said everything sticks. For the women in this group - I am whining - seriously trying to put on a sports bra after the swim is such a pain in the yang. Well I said HTFU this morning and actually managed to drag my sorry rear-end out of bed and got to the Y for the 5:30 am Spinning Class (serisouly need to bring a towel next time the amount of sweat pooled on the floor around my bike was crazy) made it through the hour spin class (not bad for a first shot). The Spin Instructor even gave me an "atta girl" after the class as he had not seen me before and was proud that I managed to keep up with them, following the Spin class I was able to hit the pool for a half hour and still have my whole day ahead of me - maybe you all have something going on with this early morning concept. Better yet- I just realized it's a three day weekend for me (the last one we get at work until May) so wahoo! Happy Friday everyone!

2010-01-15 12:31 PM

New user

Well done ddiamond on the spinning - I'm not sure I would last 10 minutes!

Alice - have you any training tips for a 12 mile bike commute other than being happy to arrive?

Pat...

2010-01-15 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2616048

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Avoneer - 2010-01-15 1:31 PM

Well done ddiamond on the spinning - I'm not sure I would last 10 minutes!

Alice - have you any training tips for a 12 mile bike commute other than being happy to arrive?

Pat...

Well, I don't know...

I am lucky to have a shower at work, and I try to plan out my week so I have work clothes at work. I bring them in on days when I drive. I also keep a towel and toiletries in my drawer. I also hung a little rack of pegs on my wall so I can hang up my bike clothes to dry for the ride home.

I recently put a luggage rack on my road bike. Before that, I used a backpack.

Check out your city's bike map to help you choose a good route.

Keep track of your time so you can race yourself each day!

Pack a lunch so you aren't stuck in your office with nothing to eat!
2010-01-15 3:35 PM
in reply to: #2615602

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
ddiamond - 2010-01-15 10:22 AM For the women in this group - I am whining - seriously trying to put on a sports bra after the swim is such a pain in the yang.

I have a couple of these thin racing-type sports bras from Louis Garneau. They have a T-back, but they also have a clasp at the bottom of the back. So they go over the head/shoulders looser, then you fasten the clasp. These are way easier to get on when you are wet. But I only have two, and I race in them, so I am struggling with wearing them frequently because I don't want to wear them out.... but it's SO much easier!

2010-01-15 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2615602

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
ddiamond - 2010-01-15 10:22 AM Well I said HTFU this morning and actually managed to drag my sorry rear-end out of bed and got to the Y for the 5:30 am Spinning Class (serisouly need to bring a towel next time the amount of sweat pooled on the floor around my bike was crazy) made it through the hour spin class (not bad for a first shot). The Spin Instructor even gave me an "atta girl" after the class as he had not seen me before and was proud that I managed to keep up with them, following the Spin class I was able to hit the pool for a half hour and still have my whole day ahead of me - maybe you all have something going on with this early morning concept. Better yet- I just realized it's a three day weekend for me (the last one we get at work until May) so wahoo! Happy Friday everyone!

Nice job on the double workout!!! WOOT!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Alice Hohl's Family-Tri-Balance Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12