BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2010-01-22 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2587085

User image

Davenport, IA
Subject: RE: Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full
Good stuff here, I'll try to tackle these one at a time.

2010-01-22 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2628081

User image

Davenport, IA
BonnieB - 2010-01-21 10:47 PM

ok, not in any particular order, Transitions, but before that comes drowning, getting a flat tire, falling off the bike, being disqualifed by breaking a rule i didn't know about, being last across the finish or if there is a time limit not making it.

Transitions:  These are a great thing to practice, and are probably one of the more overlooked things in triathlon.  The important part is to make sure that your gear is in an order that is quick and easy for you to figure out when you're mildly disoriented from the swim or tired from the bike. 
Here's a decent video on swim to bike: T1
And bike to run: T2
Really, just practice it a bit.  Make sure things are all easy to find and get on.

Drowning, you're working on your swimming now, that should help to prevent drowning, but...if you just need a rest in open water swim to a kayak or canoe and hang on for a second, worst case take off your cap and wave it and the safety crew will come to you.

I can't really help you with falling off the bike.  It doesn't happen all that often, especially during a tri, since there shouldn't be any pile ups.  Things to avoid because they're slick include sand, piles of leaves, pavement striping (that paint gets really slick), the middle of the lane where cars could be leaking oil, and gravel.  But, as you ride leading up to your race you'll get used to these things.  The most important part is to pay attention to what you're doing.  I had a momentary lapse of concentration last year that led to some not good things. 

Rules are pretty simple: Here's a quick list of the most often violated rules from the USAT website. 

As far as time/place...the work you're putting in now is what will get you to the line inside the time limit, if there is one.

2010-01-22 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2628462

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-01-22 8:36 AM What scares me the most is getting beat by a friend who is 10yrs older then me.  Also the transition...need to practice.  I have Look pedals and it is very tough to run with those clips and shoes on...should I change my pedals or just chance running a short distance and not sliding and hitting the ground.  Any thoughts??

I'd sabotage your friend's bike.  Guaranteed victory. 

No, really that's a good goal and it will probably keep you motivated throughout the early part of the season. 

I also use LOOK pedals.  If you get to choose your transition spot, get in early and pick a spot close to the transition exit.  If not, I'd probably jog in the shoes...I think that's what I did last time?  I've tried the whole clipped into the pedals in transition approach and may again this year, it's tough.  If you do run in your shoes, make sure that your cleats are in good shape.  I'm still not a huge fan of the plastic cleats.
2010-01-22 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2629402

User image

Davenport, IA
Whato - 2010-01-22 2:11 PM Generally - pushing to hard or not hard enough. I also worry about the washing machine effect, I am expecting in the swim, and just trying to find enough space to swim my rhythm.

In being passed by: the 12 year old on the swim; the 25 year old, on a mountain bike with flat tires, on the bike and; the 60 year old, running without shoes, on the run.  lol However, I hope I keep my sense of humor if it does happen.  

Pacing is something that you learn and improve on throughout your racing career.  It's what gets you so addicted to this sport.  Learning pacing, practicing your transition, and alleviating some of your fears are some of the important things you can learn in an early-season race that isn't your big race for the year. 

The washing machine doesn't have to be bad.  If you know you're not a terribly fast swimmer, start toward the back or side of the group.  If you start on a side, start on the outside so you don't get jammed up against a buoy.  The beginning pack of swimmers will string out over the first few hundred yards.

Getting passed does suck...most of the time.  Sometimes it gives you the reason to run just a little bit harder.  It can be as easy as seeing someone's age group (usually written on one calf) and wanting to hold your place in your AG, there are other things that motivate people as well.  I won't get in to all of them...use your imagination.
2010-01-22 6:16 PM
in reply to: #2629725

User image

Expert
Cambridge
Sprint_DA - 2010-01-22 10:31 PM

ok, not in any particular order, Transitions, but before that comes drowning, getting a flat tire, falling off the bike, being disqualifed by breaking a rule i didn't know about, being last across the finish or if there is a time limit not making it.

As far as time/place...the work you're putting in now is what will get you to the line inside the time limit, if there is one.

If i may interject, I would go as far as saying that , provided you finish the course, you won't be last and even if you are, its not to worry just be glad you finished
I ran my first race end of last season, and i was expecting to be somewhere near the end, however managed to do really well on the bike and came 23/90 in my wave
2010-01-22 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2629842

User image

Davenport, IA
SteveyD - 2010-01-22 6:16 PM

If i may interject, I would go as far as saying that , provided you finish the course, you won't be last and even if you are, its not to worry just be glad you finished
I ran my first race end of last season, and i was expecting to be somewhere near the end, however managed to do really well on the bike and came 23/90 in my wave

Steve's right.  If you can swim, bike, and run the full distances you will not come in last. 

Here's another way to train for an open water swim start.

2010-01-22 9:38 PM
in reply to: #2629989

User image

Los Angeles
Sprint_DA - 2010-01-22 7:41 PM

Steve's right.  If you can swim, bike, and run the full distances you will not come in last. 

Thanks Guys,  that does help. 
I know that anticpation of the fear is far worse than the reality.  it is truly the swim that scares me, I just need to do more it.
2010-01-22 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2630041

User image

Los Angeles
BonnieB - 2010-01-22 8:38 PM
Sprint_DA - 2010-01-22 7:41 PM

Love the video ROTFLOL
2010-01-23 2:54 PM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Wow,

This bike stuff is too complicated! What's the deal with tire pressure. How often should this be checked? I am attempting to get my pressure to 120psi is this too high? Clearly, this has a significant impact on ride times. Any advise would help. It seems so simple and yet it is of the utmost importance. 

Whato
2010-01-23 4:14 PM
in reply to: #2630637

User image

Davenport, IA
Whato - 2010-01-23 2:54 PM Wow,

This bike stuff is too complicated! What's the deal with tire pressure. How often should this be checked? I am attempting to get my pressure to 120psi is this too high? Clearly, this has a significant impact on ride times. Any advise would help. It seems so simple and yet it is of the utmost importance. 

Whato

I try to remember to check mine before every ride.  I don't usually ride at much over 100psi, but my race wheels are meant to be run at lower pressures, and my training wheels' tires max at close to that.  120 seems extreme to me.  Play around with it a bit and see where you like the ride.  If you're running your tires at or close to their max, you're going to have an incredibly harsh ride.  The higher you can tolerate the less rolling resistance you'll have.
2010-01-24 2:38 PM
in reply to: #2630763

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thanks Dan! I will flatten his tires while in the transition rack...LOL   I am running more and want to hit 6mi mark by the end of Feb.  Feb I start a beginner Tri swim program and will hit the pool twice a wk.  Taking today off.

Looking forward to the washing machine :}

2010-01-26 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2631851

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-01-24 2:38 PM Thanks Dan! I will flatten his tires while in the transition rack...LOL   I am running more and want to hit 6mi mark by the end of Feb.  Feb I start a beginner Tri swim program and will hit the pool twice a wk.  Taking today off.

Looking forward to the washing machine :}

The OWS start is actually pretty fun, at least in the races I've done.

Swim programs are a great way to improve your swimming.  Does the class meet 2x/week?  If it does I would definitely try to fit at least one more swim in.
2010-01-26 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2635393

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thanks Dan,

I believe it is 2x per week that we meet.  I will try to squeeze in another swim in.  Also do you recommend Areo bars for a Sprint tri?  If so what type...ie T-2, T-3 or something else? Thanks.

I was able to get a quickie run in this am before work.  Only 20min but ran hard for the time I had.
2010-01-26 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2636082

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-01-26 5:31 PM Thanks Dan,

I believe it is 2x per week that we meet.  I will try to squeeze in another swim in.  Also do you recommend Areo bars for a Sprint tri?  If so what type...ie T-2, T-3 or something else? Thanks.

I was able to get a quickie run in this am before work.  Only 20min but ran hard for the time I had.

I used a set while I was using my road bike.  I liked it better than using the hoods or drops at the time. I used profile design stryke aerobars.  I'll see if I have a pic of my bike with those on it.  I liked them pretty well.  The setup on my road bike made them a bit tough to use, and I've taken them off now that I have a tri bike.
2010-01-27 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2636466

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

If you are interested in getting rid of your aerobars let me know...I have a Trek 5900 road bike.  I just had it tuned up and had it fitted for a Tri.  I was told the stem needed to be shortened to use more quads and less pressure on my hands when on the hoods.  So now with a tuned bike and shortened stem I am looking for aerobars, but for a Sprint race I believe I will be okay.

2010-01-29 11:44 AM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Hi gang,

This week I have decided to stop looking at distances all together. I am only focusing on time and HR. As I move to intervals I think this is even more important, however, time will tell. Hope your week of training is going well. Only have to do another 58 mins (swam this morning) on the bike today and I have a rest day tomorrow! Giddy up Cool

Later,
Whato

2010-01-30 9:44 PM

Hey guys,

Quick question regarding nutrition.  For my long distance, bike rides and runs, I have reached the point where I am training in excess of 60 minutes.  From what I understand, when you reach these times, it is important to keep your body fueled by eating during your routine.  Was wondering if anybody had any advice on this front? 
2010-01-31 1:18 AM
in reply to: #2645174

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
justTRIn - 2010-01-30 9:44 PM Hey guys,

Quick question regarding nutrition.  For my long distance, bike rides and runs, I have reached the point where I am training in excess of 60 minutes.  From what I understand, when you reach these times, it is important to keep your body fueled by eating during your routine.  Was wondering if anybody had any advice on this front? 

Good question. For me 60 mins is not "long" enough for food intake. I would take lots of water and maybe a sports drink. I believe (I maybe wrong), solid food takes at least two hours to be converted to carbohydrates. This would only leave gels and I would think with sound planning you should be able to ensure your body has enough carbohydrates to make over an hour. However, I remain open to the fact that I am not an expert in this area.

How is the stop smoking going? And, how are you doing against the plans you had?

Whato

Edited by Whato 2010-01-31 1:20 AM
2010-01-31 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2645174

User image

Davenport, IA
justTRIn - 2010-01-30 9:44 PM Hey guys,

I usually started carrying a gel on my runs that were in the hour to an hour and a half range.  Between that and some sports drink you'd be taking in 150-200 cals which I would think would be enough.  Bike rides, I was never very good about carrying nutrition until I was going to be out for 2+
2010-02-01 10:11 AM

User image

Edmonton, Alberta
Very pleased with myself. Yesterday my right knee was a little sore. I woke up at 7:00 ready to hit the road and said, "no I will not do this in the morning." Well, by lunch time, I had complete head and flu symptoms. I went back to bed, loaded up on medication drugs and vitamin C. When I woke up I had dinner, watched a movie with the kids, and went back to bed with more drugs and vitamin C.  Woke up this morning and felt great did my 29 minute swim real smooth with no extra effort and felt good. I'm sure, if I ran yesterday I would not have been in the pol today. Oh, and the knee feels great also - bonus.

Finally, I am beginning to listen to my body.  Friday was a killer day - I trained very hard and I think I needed an extra rest not just the planned Saturday. I think my body was trying to tell me to take Sunday off and I am very pleased I heard it.

Take care and train hard when the body says to.

Whato

Edited by Whato 2010-02-01 10:13 AM
2010-02-01 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2647257

User image

Davenport, IA
Whato - 2010-02-01 10:11 AM Very pleased with myself. Yesterday my right knee was a little sore. I woke up at 7:00 ready to hit the road and said, "no I will not do this in the morning." Well, by lunch time, I had complete head and flu symptoms. I went back to bed, loaded up on medication drugs and vitamin C. When I woke up I had dinner, watched a movie with the kids, and went back to bed with more drugs and vitamin C.  Woke up this morning and felt great did my 29 minute swim real smooth with no extra effort and felt good. I'm sure, if I ran yesterday I would not have been in the pol today. Oh, and the knee feels great also - bonus.

Finally, I am beginning to listen to my body.  Friday was a killer day - I trained very hard and I think I needed an extra rest not just the planned Saturday. I think my body was trying to tell me to take Sunday off and I am very pleased I heard it.

Take care and train hard when the body says to.

Whato

Good job on listening to your body and getting right back in to training once you started feeling better. 

2010-02-01 11:30 AM

User image

Davenport, IA
So, what is everybody's goal for February?  I really hope to be feeling strong on the bike by the end of the month, plus have started stretching out my runs a little bit.
2010-02-01 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2647536

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Feb. goals:  Start swimming, increase my runs and start biking (looks like indoors till the snow melts)  I would like to hit the 6mi mark by the end of Feb. 
2010-02-01 5:39 PM
in reply to: #2648276

User image

Davenport, IA
scott1223 - 2010-02-01 3:40 PM Feb. goals:  Start swimming, increase my runs and start biking (looks like indoors till the snow melts)  I would like to hit the 6mi mark by the end of Feb. 

You're almost there man...hitting 6 will be no sweat!  Feb's going to be a good month of training for you.
2010-02-01 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2648549

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Hey Group,

Just wanted to relay some info...If anyone needs Tri Shorts or Jammers, check out Sierra Trading Post.  They have very good deals on Tri apparel.  Keep training!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sprint_DA's Mentor Group...full Rss Feed  

of 12