BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2010-04-21 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2807420

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full
eliwashere - 2010-04-21 1:38 PM Warren,
Thanks, I have looked at their site and received some of the free materials.
My only concern is that I don't have a power meter, and I believe all of their plans use power. 

Yeah, their biking training is very tailored to using power, but  I think their plans don't require power, but I could be wrong.

I don't actually have a plan from them; I'm just used the concepts and the basic and race prep weeks as starting points to build my own plan, with Leigh's help (since she is in their house).  I do wish I could stumble across a power meter since everyone that has them says it really changes the way they train and makes the long course racing very predictive, but the price tag is WAY beyond where I'm at right now with tri expenditures.

2010-04-21 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2807506

User image

NH
trysprintolympic - 2010-04-21 2:00 PM
chmoore2 - 2010-04-21 12:02 PM Do you think the size guidlines on BikeDrict are pretty accurate?

The reason I won't trust size guidelines anymore is that I bought my current bike used from a woman who was the exact same size as me, and it's too small.

Agree that this is one of the problems with online buying.  Maybe start here to get some size guidelines, and then check out the different measurements of the bike you're considering.  That site is really cool since it doesn't just spit out a size (like 54" frame) it gives you ranges of measurements for the various parts of the frame, and you can also tailor it based on TT fit, super aggressive, more relaxed, etc.

In the end, Jenna's right though, it may not be a perfect fit.
2010-04-21 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2772633

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
I have been busy visiting Bike shops today and found 3 bikes I really like.  Here is what I am thinking:

Specialized Allez  $740
http://www.specialized.com/zz/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=45680&menuItemId=0

There is a Sport Version as well with same frame but Tiagra comonents for 850$

Fuji Newest 2.0 $829
http://www.fujibikes.com/Road/Sport/Newest20.aspx

Fuji Roubaix 3.0 $829
http://www.fujibikes.com/Road/Performance/Roubaix-3-0.aspx

I really liked all three bikes, The Shop is building the Roubaix in my size so I can take it for a spin tomorrow, and directly compare them again.  Today they only had one that was slightly to big.

The Roubaix seemed to have better components than the Allez, and the Newest had better than Rouibaix but I guess the non-drivetrain components on the Roubaix are better than the Newest.

The Newest is more of a Hybridish bike though in that it is slightly more upright, the dealer thought it would be more comfortable but that the Roubaix would be faster and my body would get used to it.  He said many buy the Newest have a blast and then come back and buy a true road bike as an upgrade but always keep the newest around.  Not sure which one I like more, will see when I can ride them both.

I will spend some time reading the forums for opinions on these bikes but look forward to hearing yours.

Time to go swimming!!
2010-04-21 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2808578

User image

Master
Charlie,
Both those bikes look nice. I agree that the Roubaix seems to be more of a "road" bike, but pretty similar.
I would say the Roubaix would give you better performance. 
Any deals on used bikes around? 
2010-04-21 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2808578

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Charlie, sounds like you  had some fun bike shopping today. It is very exciting when you get to actually ride these really cool bikes. Good luck and ultimately the bike you buy should be the one most comfortable for you whether it is more aggressive or more upright. 

On a different note, I think I now have shin splints.  I have constant pain in my shins but different than I have ever felt when I try to run.  This pain is located on inner part of the shin near the bone about half way up.  It just a constant pain.  I skipped my workout today and at this point will just swim again tomorrow rather than try to run or walk.  I just wish my body would cooperate with my mind and my desires to do the training.  The crazy thing is that since I first decided to do triathlons I have since been diagnosed with arthritis in my shoulder that aggravates the rotator cuff,  runner's knee and now my shins which have yet to be diagnosed but again from what I have read definitely sound like shin splints.  Just hope it is not stress fractures.  Maybe it is time to look at doing triathlons as relays - I can swim and bike and let someone else run or I can just do the swim/bike and DNF the run if I can't find someone to run.  Aquabikes are few and far between here in NJ although I did find one in early June that I am considering. 
2010-04-21 9:27 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
Randi, perhaps I will bike and run for you and you could swim for me!  I am having arm pit surgery (I know it is a pretty strange deal, it has with swolen lymph nodes and biopsys to rule out lymphoma) and I have to keep out of the pool for 2 weeks!  It is going to kill me, but I think I will use the opportunity to increase my bike and run, making me faster there, and perhaps get back into the gym to train with weights again.  I am not looking forward to a forced 2 weeks off from anything, especially not swimming! 

Your run injuries will get better!

Dave.

2010-04-21 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Sorry to monopolize the conversation today with Bike questions but....

Has anybody bought from SportyMamaBikes.Com.  Somebody from the Tri Talk forum recommended I check them out and man does it appear to have good deals.

I have not had much success finding used around here. Craigslist didn't seem to have much, and the LBSs I went to today did not have any either.

Now I am still considering Direct or Mamas as well.   Decision, Decisions
2010-04-21 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Dave,

Good luck with the biopsy, I hope everything works out.
2010-04-22 6:12 AM
in reply to: #2808893

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Good luck Dave with the biopsy.

I think you would have to fight me for the bike though.  I am really excited about biking this year since I just got a new bike and love riding it.

Do you know if Ben Gay would make shin splints stop hurting?
2010-04-22 6:43 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I suffered from shin splints when I first started running...what worked for me:

1)  stretching my calves out really well before starting a run (and stopping to stretch again if I felt like I needed it)
2)  icing my shins after the run (a bag of frozen peas ace-bandaged in place for 20 minutes)
3)  anti-inflammatories
4)  rest
5)  compression (Cho-pat's shin sleeves)

Shin splints are inflammation of the tissue. Once you get the inflammation under control, if you slowly ramp up your running - they may not occur again (mine haven't and I'm running a LOT more now than I was a year ago). The best thing for them is rest - but you could always aqua-jog while recovering.

I too have arthritis in my shoulders (the change in weather going on right now is very noticeable by me)...a couple of recommendations for that:

1) check your mattress - if it is old - it might be time for a new mattress. I happen to sleep on my side a lot and an older mattress really caused a lot of compression of the shoulder joint when I was sleeping
2) keep your shoulders warm
3) fish oil supplements (This actually helped with all of my joint pain - I take 1000 mg/day)

Don't let it get you down - just do what you can when you can!
2010-04-22 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2809025

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
chmoore2 - 2010-04-21 11:40 PM Sorry to monopolize the conversation today with Bike questions but....

Has anybody bought from SportyMamaBikes.Com.  Somebody from the Tri Talk forum recommended I check them out and man does it appear to have good deals.

I have not had much success finding used around here. Craigslist didn't seem to have much, and the LBSs I went to today did not have any either.

Now I am still considering Direct or Mamas as well.   Decision, Decisions

Charlie, not to make your decisions even more complicated but  did you notice the link on BT?  http://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/ They look like they have great prices and think that BT is pretty careful about who they let advertise.

Jennifer,  thanks for the info about shin splints.  My shins are already starting to hurt again this morning just from getting ready for work.  I took some advil and figured I would hit the pool again this afternoon instead of the pavement.  Icing will have to work until I get home.  Rest, rest, rest for now.

Thanks again!

2010-04-22 10:03 AM
in reply to: #2809298

User image

Master
Randi,Shin splints suck. If you are that sore, take a few days off from running.If you want a similar workout you can try elliptical. Also, taking advil or similar should help. Take every 4 hours for 2 or 3 days and then reassess.You need to give your body some time.How about your style? Heel, midfoot or forefoot?Also, I don't want to be to personal, but weight can be a big factor for leg pain as well.
2010-04-22 11:18 AM

User image

NH
I agree with the shin splints suck comment.  I've had various pains as I ramped up running volume, but only shin splits required total rest.  Take the time off and follow what everyone else said.
2010-04-22 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2809826

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
eliwashere - 2010-04-22 11:03 AM Randi,Shin splints suck. If you are that sore, take a few days off from running.If you want a similar workout you can try elliptical. Also, taking advil or similar should help. Take every 4 hours for 2 or 3 days and then reassess.You need to give your body some time.How about your style? Heel, midfoot or forefoot?Also, I don't want to be to personal, but weight can be a big factor for leg pain as well.

I strike mid-foot or at least I try to most of the time.  Yes, I know weight is a factor but unfortunately not a thing I do makes any difference on the scale.  It is a long,drawn out battle that is extremely frustrating for me and  I have resigned myself to try to make myself as healthy medically as I can (which I have done) despite what the scale says.  If I can lose some weight while doing it,  great but I don't get my hopes up anymore about it.    Eli,  no worries, I did not take it as a personal assault.  I agree,  losing the weight would definitely make it easier but my reality is that it is not an easy answer or easy to accomplish.

One day I will type the whole sordid story for you if you are interested.

Randi
2010-04-22 2:05 PM

User image

Master
Randi,
You have a great attitude, and I am sure that given some time, and tracking of your intake vs. expenditure, you will start to see losses.
It is a hard struggle, and it takes dedication. I was 50 + pounds overweight for a few years and it took a LOT to start losing it. And I slid back a few times.
In the meantime, your other fitness activities will help you lose the weight as well.

I do want to add that is seems somewhat unfair that an hour of exercise is not even equal to one serving of Ben and Jerry's.

I guess that is why I like HIM distances. More to eat! 
2010-04-22 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
I am 95% sure that if I get a new Bike it will be this one.  I forgot that I had a pretty good friend who raced professionally about 10 years ago and he said he would help me assemble and adjust it all.  Still leary about dropping $900 bucks on a bike where there doesn't seem to be a lot of customer service available.  Not sure why this bugs me much, I use Amazon or Ebay for everything else. 

Well what do you guys think?

http://bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/knight_x.htm

2010-04-22 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2810592

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
eliwashere - 2010-04-22 3:05 PM Randi,
You have a great attitude, and I am sure that given some time, and tracking of your intake vs. expenditure, you will start to see losses.
It is a hard struggle, and it takes dedication. I was 50 + pounds overweight for a few years and it took a LOT to start losing it. And I slid back a few times.
In the meantime, your other fitness activities will help you lose the weight as well.

I do want to add that is seems somewhat unfair that an hour of exercise is not even equal to one serving of Ben and Jerry's.

I guess that is why I like HIM distances. More to eat! 

See Eli,  that is where the long sordid story would help.   I have always been overweight- even as  a child.  Growing up my parents tried different things but nothing was really successful.   I have recently followed WW religiously for 3 years (starting almost 4 years ago) and I mean religiously - did both their points and their core program - even counted the points on their core program to make sure I was not overeating, exercising, etc and was only able to lose 25 lbs of the 50 that I had to lose.   My primary said that I was medically healthy - heart great, bloodwork great, everything and no reason beyond my own happiness for a reason to lose the weight.   

Because WW did not really give me good feedback on nutritional balance,  I switched to calories/fat/carbs/protein/sodium based on dietary needs provided by a sports nutritionist/dietician.  I use a program on my PDA called BalanceLog.  I had my RMR done  (1580).  Based on that and adjusting for my light activity level at work, I was told that to lose 1 lbs per week that I should consume 1490 calories a day.    On a normal day without exercise, I burn approximately 1980 calories.   I wear a HRM monitor to give me a good estimate of the calories burned during exercise (even wore it for 24hrs a few times to compare it to my RMR and the caloric range suggested)  The 1980 calories burned each day is both the estimated number given to me to eat to maintain my weight and what the HRM monitor wearing came up with.  So,  if you do the math,  my eating 1490 calories a day should equate to a loss every week.  Then when you add in my exercise which lately has been averaging about 1400 calories per week.  I don't normally eat these calories since I have also been told that I don't eat enough. I tried eating these calories in healthy food - fruits, veggies, milk, dairy, protein - no luck. I gained instead.  I have even tried eating few calories than the 1490 - went down to 1100 at one point. I was not pleasant to be around and was still not able to lose.

I have tried varying the calories per day so that the average is still the same over the week but have high and low days - that does not work either. 

As for what I eat,   I eat whole-grains, low fat, high fiber - control the amount of carbs, etc.  Everythg right according to my doctor and had even seen a nutritionist.  I weigh and measure to the gram every item of food I eat. I  look at nutritional info, look at nutritional info for restaurants and record EVERYTHING.  No one knows why I can't lose weight. I have tried eating more, eating less, starving myself, depriving myself, splurging.  You name it, I have done it with no success.

As for exercise - I vary that and intensity as well  - teach spin class, take step aerobics, weight machines, walking, swimming, cardio kickboxing, pilates, yoga because I know that your body can become used to certain things.

I can continue to do everything right, lose 2 lbs in a week, continue to do the same thing that helped me lose the 2 lbs the next two weeks and over those 2 weeks, I will gain 3 lbs. Continue exactly the same for another 2 weeks and lose nothing.

So,  needless to say, I have to accept my weight for what it is or I would lose my mind.  I need to make the training and my life work where I am and not think what if I can lose 10, 20, 30 lbs.  I have been down that road for almost 4 years now and am ready to move up the road to what life has in store for me in the future at the weight that I am at.  I continue to eat well and exercise because it makes me feel good and keeps me from gaining more weight.  It has become my lifestyle not a diet.  I am sure that I could try some extreme diet to lose weight but I am just not interested anymore.  If I can't do it the right way, I am just not going to do it.

In case you ask,  yes, I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroid and started on Synthroid in November.  I have not seen any weight change but at least now I am not totally exhausted or experiencing the multitude of other symptoms.  Maybe at some point, I will lose some weight but I am not counting on this helping.

Sorry this was so long but figured it would help to get it out there.
2010-04-22 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2810695

User image

Master
Randi,
Wow! That is a long one

Since your doctor tells you your bloodwork, heart, etc are good and you seem to have done everything in the whole range..again, more power to you!

Healthy lifestyles count for a lot. And it sounds like you have a pretty healthy lifestyle. As you said, if the good habits are there and locked in, that is a major +.

Hopefully the thyroid meds will help.

In the meantime, rest that shin, stretch and keep on triing!!

2010-04-22 3:06 PM
in reply to: #2810593

User image

Master
chmoore2 - 2010-04-22 2:05 PM I am 95% sure that if I get a new Bike it will be this one.  I forgot that I had a pretty good friend who raced professionally about 10 years ago and he said he would help me assemble and adjust it all.  Still leary about dropping $900 bucks on a bike where there doesn't seem to be a lot of customer service available.  Not sure why this bugs me much, I use Amazon or Ebay for everything else. 

Well what do you guys think?

http://bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/knight_x.htm

Charlie, I have seen some reviews about the old model, but don't know anything about the new. Do you know how the weight compares to the fuji?
It looks pretty good though! Something you will be able to ride for a while. 
2010-04-22 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2810593

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Looks like a nice bike - good components and a great price. I know what you mean about hesitation to buy something as expensive as that online. I guess Amazon is something that you are familiar with and understand the lack of customer service from Ebay.

I was right there with you on the choices of whether to buy from LBS or online.  I can't say that I am disappointed in buying from the LBS.  Everything I read about the lower priced Specialized bikes is that the frame is exactly the same as their higher priced bikes.  I can always upgrade components as I can afford to do that.    I am thrilled with the customer service but in reality,  they would be just as good to deal with if I had bought a bike elsewhere. We had built a good relationship with them when tweaking our old, used bikes.   They are making the money on our repeat business and our future business, not sure what the profit margin is on the bike sale itself.

If you buy online and bring your bike to a LBS them for service, repair, adjustment,  you will build that relationship with them and might find your future bike purchase will be from them, or not.  But you will continue to go to them for other things.   I feel that if the LBS is willing to work with you regardless of what you ride,  you have found a good LBS that you can trust.
2010-04-22 5:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Have a stretching question to go with shin splints...I am resting, taking advil, icing and trying to stay off my feet as much as possible (not so easy for a mom).  Should I be doing stretches now or wait until they stop hurting?  If I should be stretching,  how do I warm up my legs without stressing them too much?  I have one of those roller sticks  http://www.thestick.net/online/item2.htm and one of those foot stretcher gizmos  http://www.footsmart.com/ProductZoomPopup.aspx?scene7name=10094_NONE  Both are great but don't want to do any harm.

Thanks!

2010-04-22 6:25 PM

User image

Expert
I was swimming in the gym pool today - all alone, no lifeguard - when I realized I would never even think about doing that OWS. Why not?? I would get so much more OWS practice in this season if I could go alone.

What do you guys think? How to safely OWS solo?
2010-04-22 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2811057

User image

Master
Fechter99 - 2010-04-22 5:05 PM Have a stretching question to go with shin splints...I am resting, taking advil, icing and trying to stay off my feet as much as possible (not so easy for a mom).  Should I be doing stretches now or wait until they stop hurting?  If I should be stretching,  how do I warm up my legs without stressing them too much?  I have one of those roller sticks  http://www.thestick.net/online/item2.htm and one of those foot stretcher gizmos  http://www.footsmart.com/ProductZoomPopup.aspx?scene7name=10094_NONE  Both are great but don't want to do any harm.

Thanks!

Randi, I would think that just doing the alphabet and point and flex would be decent warmup. I love using the stick. I think it helps a ton! 
2010-04-22 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2811151

User image

Master
trysprintolympic - 2010-04-22 6:25 PM I was swimming in the gym pool today - all alone, no lifeguard - when I realized I would never even think about doing that OWS. Why not?? I would get so much more OWS practice in this season if I could go alone.

What do you guys think? How to safely OWS solo?

Jenna,
Do NOT OWS without at least lifeguards around, or people keeping an eye out for your.
It is a dangerous idea. You have to have someone keeping an eye out.
Here in FL there are lifeguards at the beach and I will usually tell them I am out and about and tell them when I come back if I am going alone.
Try to find like minded and scheduled people to go with. Once you get the habit, it shouldn't be too hard.
When we lived in Hawaii, people would just disappear into the ocean. You can't mess with the water.
Heck, the only reason I swim solo at the pool here is because it is only 4 feet deep. I figure I can at least stand up.
2010-04-22 9:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
I agree, I don't think swimming alone in open water is very safe.  Too much can happen with no-one around to help.

I need to get some OWSs in before my tri though, I am hoping to be able to practice at a couple of the smaller lakes with Lifeguards.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's spring fling mentor group!-Full Rss Feed  

of 25