Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2010-04-12 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
My last mentor (props for Ken), would throw out a weekly question just to get everyone thinking and discussing and I liked that idea. 

So, what is everyone's favorite triathlon event and why?

2010-04-12 8:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Wow, a LOT has happened in a day!  Jeez...

Congrats on the boot camp!  That's awesome.  I'd also like to hear any tips you have for anyone.  I am all about high intensity, low time workouts!  (I know, not great for tri training...  lol)

As for my weekend...  It was pretty good, productive.  As mentioned, I was sore yesterday, so I just did an hour of stretching.  I forget who sent me the inspire (I don't know how to view past inspires, and I responded to someone else...  and I didn't know how to get back...), but I have considered going to a chiropractor...  We'll see about that.  It's mostly just tight muscles.  I am thinking that I'll head to get a deep tissue massage before I go to a chiro.  We'll see.  Who knows.  I'm very careful with my body, so I will definitely pay close attention to it.

Part of my problem is that I am HORRIBLY inflexible.  20 years of hockey and not proper stretching interspersed has really done a number on my hammies.  Does anyone have any tips on how to get more flexible?  Specifically in the hamstring/thigh/groin area?  Any tips would be greatly appreciated! 
2010-04-12 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2784643

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-04-12 7:54 AM My last mentor (props for Ken), would throw out a weekly question just to get everyone thinking and discussing and I liked that idea. 

Currently, running is my favorite of the three.  I have not done much biking outside over the past few months.  Running is what helps to keep me a happy mama these days!  I am also enjoying the time I have with Logan on the runs.  He is constantly on the go and not always the easiest child so the hour I have him strapped in the stroller is really nice!
2010-04-12 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
And yes, a week ago Sat I was out running in my neighborhood and got bit on the back of my right knee by a dog.  The owner had the dog loose in the front yard.  I was across the street and had already passed the house and never saw the dog until it was about 3ft away from me.  Took about 5 days for it to stop bleeding and is now almost fully healed.  Ended up missing 1 day of work and 3 days of workouts.

My rant about having dogs on a leash has become a big issue in my town/neighborhood.  It is a very animal friendly town so a lot of dogs and a lot of them off leash.  But b/c of that we see a lot of dog bites.  It has gotten to the point where my wife and some friends are too afraid to run down our own streets anymore.  I am not going to let it stop me though.  I think it is truly difficult to say whether a dog will or won't bite.  The dog owners of the dog that bit me said their dog has never done this before and has always been a good dog.  Don't know whether that is true or not, but for whatever reason that dog snapped that day. 

Just remember that even though you have control over your dog, runners don't know that.  My wife sees a big dog now off leash (she is small at only 4'11) and she will turn around and go another direction.  She doesn't know whether that dog is a good dog under control or not.  It gives her a lot of anxiety. 

So if anyone does have a dog off leash, I just ask that you be extremely careful and watch them like you would a child.  And be prepared to accept the consequences (medical bills, court, dog removal, etc) if something were to happen.

It's still pretty fresh and I am still pretty upset.  **off soap box**
2010-04-12 8:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
chichitao - 2010-04-12 8:54 AM My last mentor (props for Ken), would throw out a weekly question just to get everyone thinking and discussing and I liked that idea. 

I haven't really gotten into much training yet, but I think I'm going to enjoy biking.  I love just being able to FLY down the road.  I got up to 50km/h last week.  It is really a great feeling, and and very satisfying.  Also, running still hurts my ankle a bit, so I'm not really down with that yet.  In time, though....
2010-04-12 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2784694

User image

Veteran
My dog scared the C**P out of a runner this morning.  We have an electric fence and he is out loose.  He is a big lover though, but his bark is pretty deep.  He is a golden retriever and would never bite anyone, he would lick you to death.   After reading your post I am going to put our electric fence yard signs back up! 

2010-04-12 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
I would have to say that I like running.  I see the most results in running.  I am pretty new to cycling and am still a little scared on the bike.  But I have been getting better.  I like swimming and it is fun to do.
2010-04-12 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2783637

User image

Expert

Tim (T2?) - It's not about the commitment, I'm all about racing!  We're just in a tough financial place right now, so if I'm going to register for a race, I have to be absolutely sure that our bills are taken care of first.  There are some months where we're wayyy too far in the red.  I think we're definitely going to do one in Springfield, IL in July, since my parents live there and we won't have to pay for a hotel, and could possibly get my dad to give me gas money. (It's nice still being a daddy's girl...

I can totally see where you are coming from.  These races do get expensive as I am finding.  One thing that I plan on doing that you might want to consider is find a local campground instead of a hotel.  I HATE PAYING FOR HOTELS!!!  They are so expensive and overpriced but the race I am doing in Lake Geneva in July is actually right in a Wisconsin State Park and I can get a campsite for $12.  For my HIM in Branson I am planning on doing them same but borrowing my neighbors pop-up camper.  It really help reduce the overall cost of the event.  Just a suggestion.

I always got through this hemming and hawing for each race about the money and when I should actually register so not to miss it from being filled and I will justify it to the "Boss".  I find it pretty stressfull haha.

Edited by tmoran80 2010-04-12 8:57 AM
2010-04-12 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
chichitao - 2010-04-12 7:54 AM My last mentor (props for Ken), would throw out a weekly question just to get everyone thinking and discussing and I liked that idea. 

I would say that I have really taken to swimming or at least have put the most work into that the past 6 months.  As you all know that might change after my first OWS but we will see-haha.  Running is always the fall back though and what I feel most comfortable with but I look forward to my swim workouts the most.
2010-04-12 9:32 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Good morning group. 

As for my favotite of the three S/B/R.  I love the swim. I don't do all that well durring races, but I have only raced on really cold days in really cold water......so I am hoping to do some races in warmer weather/water this year   I have a consistant stroke and I rarely get tired while in the water. 

This weekend was the first weekend that I am back up and going the distance.  Fell on March 21st with a bad blow to both of my knee caps, nothing major but some bad sweeling and bruising.....but I am back up and going and trying to get ready for my first 1/2 mary on April 24th.  Warmer weather and sunshine rolling into chicago which make thsi girl super happy!!!!!
2010-04-12 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Does anyone own or use a bike trainer?  What is the difference between a magnetic and fluid trainer?  I am looking ot purchase one in the next few weeks for when i can't get my ride in during the day and have to ride at night but I was not really sure what to buy.   Any help would be appreciated - thanks

2010-04-12 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2785381

User image

Expert
South Jersey
tmoran80 - 2010-04-12 11:35 AM Does anyone own or use a bike trainer?  What is the difference between a magnetic and fluid trainer?  I am looking ot purchase one in the next few weeks for when i can't get my ride in during the day and have to ride at night but I was not really sure what to buy.   Any help would be appreciated - thanks

I have no idea what the difference is.  I have the cycleops mag.  http://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-Mag-Indoor-Bicycle-Trainer/dp/B000BT577G

I did not have a lot of money but I had a bunch of gift cards to Dicks from Christmas and my birthday.  Of the few they had online and the store, this one had the best reviews.  I think one difference is how much noise it makes.  I don't think the one I have is too noisy.  If I bring my 3 year old down in the basement with me, I don't have to have the volume on the tv any louder than normal.
2010-04-12 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2784694

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
chichitao - 2010-04-12 6:13 AM And yes, a week ago Sat I was out running in my neighborhood and got bit on the back of my right knee by a dog.  The owner had the dog loose in the front yard.  I was across the street and had already passed the house and never saw the dog until it was about 3ft away from me.  Took about 5 days for it to stop bleeding and is now almost fully healed.  Ended up missing 1 day of work and 3 days of workouts.

My rant about having dogs on a leash has become a big issue in my town/neighborhood.  It is a very animal friendly town so a lot of dogs and a lot of them off leash.  But b/c of that we see a lot of dog bites.  It has gotten to the point where my wife and some friends are too afraid to run down our own streets anymore.  I am not going to let it stop me though.  I think it is truly difficult to say whether a dog will or won't bite.  The dog owners of the dog that bit me said their dog has never done this before and has always been a good dog.  Don't know whether that is true or not, but for whatever reason that dog snapped that day. 

Just remember that even though you have control over your dog, runners don't know that.  My wife sees a big dog now off leash (she is small at only 4'11) and she will turn around and go another direction.  She doesn't know whether that dog is a good dog under control or not.  It gives her a lot of anxiety. 

So if anyone does have a dog off leash, I just ask that you be extremely careful and watch them like you would a child.  And be prepared to accept the consequences (medical bills, court, dog removal, etc) if something were to happen.

It's still pretty fresh and I am still pretty upset.  **off soap box**

lol, now you got me on that soapbox again too...

I have a dog and my dog does not like other dogs and really doesn't like when other dogs come running at him.  I don't know where his behaviour came from, because he was a rescue and I work very hard at training him to not react when he sees other dogs and always have him on leash and under control.  What I can't control is all those people ignoring leash laws, because their dogs are wonderful and wouldn't hurt a flea and has never been aggressive...etc...to the point where I have a very difficult time walking my dog anywhere anymore.  We have lots of off-leash parks and beaches people can go to, but there is no place I can go where I can be guaranteed that people will have their dogs on a leash and I can walk/run with my dog in relative peace.  I run on a lot of trails locally where there are a multitude of dogs running off leash(it is not an off leash area) and after Tim's experience I look at all those dogs with a small amount of trepedation.

I too am now off soapbox...
2010-04-12 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
chichitao - 2010-04-12 5:54 AM My last mentor (props for Ken), would throw out a weekly question just to get everyone thinking and discussing and I liked that idea. 

I am full tilt into running right now, and loving it, especially having found some good running buddies. I'm not fond of pool swimming but love the open water, so this may change once the water becomes bearable:-)
2010-04-12 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Right now I would have to say running (even with the dog bite).  I am really seeing some speed improvements and it is just so easy to walk outside and go run.  But come summer when it really heats up to around 105, I will be loving the swimming!
2010-04-12 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Going to leave this up to the group...

Got approached and asked by another person to join our group today (guess they saw everyone jumping in with gusto on the forum).  I don't know the person and don't want to say the name right now, so there won't be any "they are my friend so let them in".  We are a pretty full group and I don't want to skimp on being able to help everyone and am afraid that might happen if we add more....but, what is one more person?  I'd like to help as many as we can.  There are both sides of the argument.  That said...what say you?

If you would rather, you can PM me a yes or no (click the PM button at the bottom of this msg).  Sooner than later if possible so I can let him/her know.  Thanks!

2010-04-12 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2785875

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-04-12 1:40 PM Going to leave this up to the group...

Got approached and asked by another person to join our group today (guess they saw everyone jumping in with gusto on the forum).  I don't know the person and don't want to say the name right now, so there won't be any "they are my friend so let them in".  We are a pretty full group and I don't want to skimp on being able to help everyone and am afraid that might happen if we add more....but, what is one more person?  I'd like to help as many as we can.  There are both sides of the argument.  That said...what say you?

If you would rather, you can PM me a yes or no (click the PM button at the bottom of this msg).  Sooner than later if possible so I can let him/her know.  Thanks!

I say let them in.  We just got started so I don't think it is a big deal.
2010-04-12 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR

I'm surprised nobody has said this yet, but BIKING!!! I love love love it.  To me, it's a lot easier than the others!  I hate running because I've always been a sprinter, Swimming is okay, but I can't breathe whenever I want.  And biking is relaxing to me.  I always feel refreshed after it, never exhausted. 

On a side note: I'M LEAVING TO PICK UP MY NEW ROAD BIKE IN LIKE 5 MINUTES! YAY!!!
2010-04-12 4:27 PM
in reply to: #2786203

User image

Expert
South Jersey
SoccerGK - 2010-04-12 3:18 PM

I'm surprised nobody has said this yet, but BIKING!!! I love love love it.  To me, it's a lot easier than the others!  I hate running because I've always been a sprinter, Swimming is okay, but I can't breathe whenever I want.  And biking is relaxing to me.  I always feel refreshed after it, never exhausted. 

On a side note: I'M LEAVING TO PICK UP MY NEW ROAD BIKE IN LIKE 5 MINUTES! YAY!!!

Biking is my least fave!  Make sure you post pics!!!
2010-04-12 6:15 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Yes, give us some pics if you can...we all like pictures!

And today is a perfect example of why I like these groups.  I got home and had zero motivation and was tired from a busy day and not sleeping well lately.  But I thought of this group and didn't want to let anyone down and have a big goose egg on my calendar today (especially after taking yesterday off).  So i left the house and got a bike and swim in.  It wasn't my best performance ever and I had tired legs, but I got it done.  There is no way I would've forced myself out the door without the group holding me accountable, so thanks!  Hope everyone had a good day!
2010-04-12 7:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
I say let this person in.  Like it has been said, we just started, and haven't really gotten into it.  I don't think that one more person will make it any different.  We are a chatty group, so there may be more people to respond to, but is that really a bad thing?  It sounds like we all are very motivated by the people in this group, so more people to be motivated by = a good thing, to me! 

2010-04-12 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Okay, I'm going to try this...

(Mountain Bike - compressed.jpg)

(Garry Fisher 1.jpg)

(Gary Fisher Front.jpg)

(Bike Shoes.jpg)

(Gary Fisher Pedals.jpg)

(Nadie Girl.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Mountain Bike - compressed.jpg (45KB - 6 downloads)
Garry Fisher 1.jpg (49KB - 12 downloads)
Gary Fisher Front.jpg (51KB - 11 downloads)
Bike Shoes.jpg (40KB - 11 downloads)
Gary Fisher Pedals.jpg (42KB - 5 downloads)
Nadie Girl.jpg (41KB - 10 downloads)
2010-04-12 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2786776

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Good luck!
2010-04-12 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2786557

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-04-12 6:15 PM Yes, give us some pics if you can...we all like pictures!

And today is a perfect example of why I like these groups.  I got home and had zero motivation and was tired from a busy day and not sleeping well lately.  But I thought of this group and didn't want to let anyone down and have a big goose egg on my calendar today (especially after taking yesterday off).  So i left the house and got a bike and swim in.  It wasn't my best performance ever and I had tired legs, but I got it done.  There is no way I would've forced myself out the door without the group holding me accountable, so thanks!  Hope everyone had a good day!

I also find just logging it for myself helps!  I hate seeing two white or yellow days in a row.  It is killing me to look at this past weekend! 

You are doing great in the pool!  I think I am going to head there tomorrow night.  It is either tomorrow or wait until next week. 
2010-04-12 8:04 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Got it!!!

The first bike is my old mountain bike that now is ONLY my commuter!

Then my new bike, with my green Speed Play Zero pedals, and my sweet silver Bontrager tri shoes!

Oh, and the "butthead" that I love so dearly laying next to the new bike.  She likes it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103