BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-20 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Expert
Boston
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - OPEN
Welcome to all the new people!   I am not in the most talkative mood today but I wanted to say hi to everyone!

2010-04-20 8:53 AM

User image

Salem
Kathy,

I'm certainly not qualified (and honestly, probably the last person whose advice you should follow), but I think if you want to do it, you should go for it.  As long as your goal is just to finish, I believe there is some wiggle-room as far as the cut-offs are concerned (and least that's what I'm hoping for myself come November.)

I think 90% of doing these things, for the non-pros, are for the commitment to yourself, wanting to improve your health and overall well-being, the friends you make along the way, and overcoming the daily challenges of fitting in or completing your training while juggling life's other priorities. 

Of course everyone wants to finish, or best their PR, but at the end of the day, just lining up for the gun is a huge victory and takes more courage than most possess.
2010-04-20 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I have a question about running longer distances. I am currently running a 10mile run once a week (which I am upping by just under a mile each week). At what point is it smart to start considering eating something or drinking during the run? I cramp up real easy and tend not to drink water. I have gone 2 sprint tris without any water. I am just finding myself getting a bit blah at the 10mile mark. I don't feel out of shape just low energy.
2010-04-20 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2802806

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dragonflyer - 2010-04-19 7:14 PM I have asked this before but am really looking for some ideas??  Am going out of the country 4/23 till 5/2 and really am not looking forward to falling behind on my work outs.  No gyms in the area, small 40'pool where we stay at night--if clean! and a small area perhaps 40' x 25' for some jogging around.  Doubt the military would allow me to get out on the Pan American Highway and run as I might come up missing which would not look good seeing how I am the one in charge!  Was thinking of bringing some bands for resistant work--anyone use them at all?

You could do burpies!
Also, I'd look at what the military does to stay in shape in that area.  40 ft x 25 ft is large enough to jog in a cricle. I'd make sure you alternate directions though to avoid injury.  You could also jump rope. and do the typical grass pickers, jumping jacks etc.  Just think HS PE

Will you have any access to a DVD player?  If so your options are endless.
2010-04-20 10:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcome to all the newbies!
2010-04-20 10:54 AM
in reply to: #2803859

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
zachkoe - 2010-04-20 10:11 AM I have a question about running longer distances. I am currently running a 10mile run once a week (which I am upping by just under a mile each week). At what point is it smart to start considering eating something or drinking during the run? I cramp up real easy and tend not to drink water. I have gone 2 sprint tris without any water. I am just finding myself getting a bit blah at the 10mile mark. I don't feel out of shape just low energy.
I have always heard that if you are going longer than 90 min (some say less) you need calories and fluids.  Can you stash a water bottle and GU or shotblocks along your route somewhere the night before? I plan long runs through my Y or a friends house so I can get a drink if I need it.

2010-04-20 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2802956

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Dragonflyer - 2010-04-19 8:14 PM I have asked this before but am really looking for some ideas??  Am going out of the country 4/23 till 5/2 and really am not looking forward to falling behind on my work outs.  No gyms in the area, small 40'pool where we stay at night--if clean! and a small area perhaps 40' x 25' for some jogging around.  Doubt the military would allow me to get out on the Pan American Highway and run as I might come up missing which would not look good seeing how I am the one in charge!  Was thinking of bringing some bands for resistant work--anyone use them at all?

I've just bought a set of the bodylastics resistance bands for exactly the reason that I'm often away and don't have access to a gym. They look great but I haveto admit that I haven't had the chance to use them in earnest yet but I've heard a lot of good things. Pool running is good, as are the circut training approaches. Can you pack a skipping rope? That doesn't require too much room and at least will allow you to keep up your CV work.

Good luck! 
2010-04-20 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2802965

User image

I am happy to hear there is such a drastic difference after the bike fit, I upgraded a few weeks ago, but live out in the sticks, so I have had to wait for a fit...I am driving up on Saturday for my fit.  I am excited to see the difference!

sc

Edited by clarkest 2010-04-20 2:06 PM
2010-04-20 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2802972

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

dmahr - 2010-04-19 9:20 PM Swimming Question for all that can help - I am the slowest swimmer at the pool in my gym and really poor form.  While my goal isn't to win a triathlon, I'd like to be the best that I can be.  Does it make sense to join a Masters Swim Group to improve at swimming, or hire swim coach?

Thanks for your help.

- Danny

I found checking out a book on total immersion swimming from the library made a big help. The short version is you need to be like a torpedo in the water. Streamline is first, and everything else builds from there.

2010-04-20 8:05 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

zachkoe - 2010-04-20 10:11 AM I have a question about running longer distances. I am currently running a 10mile run once a week (which I am upping by just under a mile each week). At what point is it smart to start considering eating something or drinking during the run? I cramp up real easy and tend not to drink water. I have gone 2 sprint tris without any water. I am just finding myself getting a bit blah at the 10mile mark. I don't feel out of shape just low energy.

There isn't a simple answer because everyone is different.  The best thing to do is trial and error.  Start will taking a gel or blok every 30 mins.  If that is too much and not so good on the stomach, move up to 45min.  You will find what works for you in a short perio of time.  I was always a drinker, never ate anything.  But as I moved up to over an hour, I started with some gels, bloks, and Sportsbeans (my favorite).  I noticed the difference. Let us know how it goes.

2010-04-20 9:06 PM

New user

Syracuse
If you're doing actual hard core cardio, with increased heartrate, sweating etc, you should be replacing your electrolytes with a sports drink during a run every 15-20 minutes and possibly more depending on your size, how much you sweat etc. I actually just attended the Triathlon nutrition and fueling class with a registered dietitian tonight. You're cramping is most likely due to dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. I am not an expert but a nurse and have the info from the class fresh in my mind. I could give you some more of the information on how to calculate your specific needs if you would like.
Shioban

2010-04-20 9:10 PM

New user

Syracuse
HI everyone!!
I am just figuring out this whole forum thing and have a really stupid question. I can't figure out how to find the forum of our group when I log in??? hmmm.

Thanks
Shioban
2010-04-20 10:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm not trying to usurp Seren's role by any stretch of the imagination but....

If someone leaves you an inspire, if you just leave a comment in the box below, the other person will probably never see it.  Either push the reply button, or go to that person's training log to respond to the inspire.

I just don't want anyone's comments to get ignored accidentally as I've seen happen in the past.
2010-04-20 10:48 PM

User image

Hi

If your still taking new recruits I would love to jump in.

I am signed up for a Sprint Tri this August (my very first one) as well as being party of a relay Team (I'm the run) a few weeks later.

I have done some 5ks and such before but had not touched water without a drink in my hand for sometime.  Started up with a Masters class and im starting to feel pretty confident about the swim (maybe even looking forward to class tommorow morning). The Bike is pretty new too, just picked up a $100 gem on Craigslist on am starting to work on getting comfy on the bike (they wobble so much more than a spin bike, ya know?)

As for me, I'm 30.  I run a martial arts program (and to who mentioned them an a earlire post we are HUGE fans of Burpies).  I am getting married this fall, and decided this something I have always wanted to do, The time is now.
2010-04-21 4:29 AM
in reply to: #2806107

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Wondering?  what did you find as a gem for only $100?  I am always looking for that special deal!  But never seem to run across anything special.  And welcome to our group-if the big boss oks it!!  Right Josh?
2010-04-21 4:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Glens Falls
Wondering?  what did you find as a gem for only $100?  I am always looking for that special deal!  But never seem to run across anything special.  And welcome to our group-if the big boss oks it!!  Right Josh?

2010-04-21 6:18 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

TriB4Bride - 2010-04-20 11:48 PM Hi

I am signed up for a Sprint Tri this August (my very first one) as well as being party of a relay Team (I'm the run) a few weeks later.

I have done some 5ks and such before but had not touched water without a drink in my hand for sometime.  Started up with a Masters class and im starting to feel pretty confident about the swim (maybe even looking forward to class tommorow morning). The Bike is pretty new too, just picked up a $100 gem on Craigslist on am starting to work on getting comfy on the bike (they wobble so much more than a spin bike, ya know?)

As for me, I'm 30.  I run a martial arts program (and to who mentioned them an a earlire post we are HUGE fans of Burpies).  I am getting married this fall, and decided this something I have always wanted to do, The time is now.

You are in.  Thanks for the info, but what do we call you?

And with that, I think we are closed.

2010-04-21 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2805937

User image

Expert
Boston
Shioban - 2010-04-20 10:10 PM HI everyone!!
I am just figuring out this whole forum thing and have a really stupid question. I can't figure out how to find the forum of our group when I log in??? hmmm.
Thanks
Shioban

Its easiest to put a link to our group from your dashboard.  That way you don't have to keep scrolling thru to find us.  Click on edit to open the dashboard then label our  group, then highlight the words and then....click on the thingy that looks like a chain link and when the box opens up, drop the address in.  
2010-04-21 7:54 AM

User image

Expert
Boston

Welcome Kimberley.   Looks like you are another local!  

Edited by Seren 2010-04-21 7:55 AM
2010-04-21 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
In the Shadow of the Big House
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED
Hey folks,
Just checking in to let you all know that I am still alive.  Thanks for the inspires lately.  They are helping me cope with not getting any training in.  I am hoping that by next week I'll be able to get back in the swing of things.  I finally feel like my knees are back to normal and my rib is much less tender than it was.  Still hard to take a deep breath and coughing or sneezing is misery, but it's getting better.
2010-04-21 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2806285

User image

Boston Beginner - 2010-04-21 7:18 AM

You are in.  Thanks for the info, but what do we call you?

And with that, I think we are closed.

Thanks for letting me jump in, last minute!

Oh name.  That would help right?  My Name is Kim Wink

as for my Craigslist bike, its gem in the sense that it was $100 and still a road bike.  New wheels, breaks, etc.   It was also aqua with skull and crossbones bar tape.

2010-04-21 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Hi Guys,

Just after your thoughts on something.

I am signed up for a triathlon on 23/5/10 which is a 750 sea swim (my 1st ows race) 20k bike and 5k run, now since signing up to this race which is 100 miles away from where i live, a local leisure centre has decided to do a race on 16.5.10 (the sunday before) and this race will be a 400m pool swim, 27km bike and 10k run.

As a local event i have a couple of friends entering so i would like to do it with them, but is it asking too much of my body to do 2 races in 2 weeks ?

I did my 1st race on sunday gone and am back in training already (see my log for what i have been up to if of use when replying)

Dropping out of the sea race is not an option as its near where my dad lives and he is going to come along and support me.

Thanks for your help guys.

T
2010-04-21 5:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Our group is really doing well at training.

Great job guys!!

I wish I lived closer so I could watch everybody race.

Oh, and I am stuck at my computer for the next two weeks, and I use BT as a brain break.  If I go to Cup of Joe, I get sidetracked, so I just leave a few inspires and get back to work.  So... sorry if I over-inundate you guys with inspires.  They will dry up in a couple of weeks.
2010-04-21 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2808460

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Tiesim - 2010-04-21 6:08 PM Hi Guys,

Just after your thoughts on something.

I am signed up for a triathlon on 23/5/10 which is a 750 sea swim (my 1st ows race) 20k bike and 5k run, now since signing up to this race which is 100 miles away from where i live, a local leisure centre has decided to do a race on 16.5.10 (the sunday before) and this race will be a 400m pool swim, 27km bike and 10k run.

As a local event i have a couple of friends entering so i would like to do it with them, but is it asking too much of my body to do 2 races in 2 weeks ?

I did my 1st race on sunday gone and am back in training already (see my log for what i have been up to if of use when replying)

Dropping out of the sea race is not an option as its near where my dad lives and he is going to come along and support me.

Thanks for your help guys.

T

Go for it.  You will be fine.  You have the fitness to do it.  Just make sure you rest a couple of days after the first.

2010-04-21 8:39 PM

User image

Regular
Billerica
Well after being away from workouts and the computor for a couple days I have noticed I have a lot of catching up to do. Welcome to all the new people and I hope everyone is having fun training. In reading through our blog it looks like we have a good cross section of athletes to lean on and motivate each other through out the seaon.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27