BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2010-04-22 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2811360

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED
Thanks, Carl.
I did the Couch to 5k. I really liked it. It made me want to run and made me feel like I could run more.  I'm running outside again tomorrow morning so I plan on really working on keeping a slower pace.  I got some good advice on here about how to try and keep a pace and not go to fast. I just need to practice, practice, practice!

2010-04-23 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2811405

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Good Morning MMM Peeps!  and TGIF, sooo very glad it's Friday!  We have had a GREAT, stupendous first week!  We are getting to know each other, exchanging lots of great information and inspiring each other AND getting in some quality training.  For a bunch of newbies, I AM IMPRESSED!  You all have great work ethic... or you're kissing up to me for the first week, whatever, I'll take it!  I think just being consistent in your training is what will get you to the finish line.  Rest when you need to or life gets in the way, but get out there and get SOMETHING in every chance you can.  Sometimes easy, sometimes hard.  As a beginner I think it's more important just to get volume in, the quality and speed will come as your body adapts to doing more and more.  Time in the saddle, time on the road, time in the pool.  Those of you working on weight loss have been inspirational... Wilson and Carl... just, WOW!  (Why is it so much easier for men???  It all has to do with that gosh darned period that women are cursed blessed with!)

Please remind me when you have your very first tri coming up... those deserve special inspires!!

I am so glad to have all of you in my group, keep up the good work!!

2010-04-23 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2778561

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI
Thanks Hilde. This group is great! I love reading about everybody's successes for the day, what works. what doesn't. I also really like looking at everybody's training log. It not only encourages me, but it gives me ideas about what I could do.

This morning I did my 2 mile run outside in my neighborhood. I was able to run the whole time because I slowed my pace. I think I was more - walking fast - then running, but I did it. And it took me less time then Wed since I wasn't taking walking breaks. Hope I can keep it up.

I am going to attempt a brick this afternoon as long as it doesn't rain. Otherwise I'll just have to go to the gym and do it. The problem there is that they only have those stationary bikes that you sit back in, not the normal spin-type bikes.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Friday Smile 
2010-04-23 6:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey everyone! How was Friday?

Jordan- way to go on the continuous run - that's awesome! Keep it up

I had planned a cardio day off today (weight lifting only) since I am doing a 20(ish) mile bike tomorrow and running in my race on Sunday. It was strange to not be doing something cardio but I LOOOOOVE strength training so it was a fun morning workout.

I'm still undecided on the wetsuit vs. no wetsuit or tri-suit one piece or tri-suit two pieces...any comments? suggestions?
2010-04-24 6:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Hello Group !  Thank you so much for all of your get well wishes.  I think I've finally turned the corner and will be joining you in training later today.  One comment regargning the treadmill vs running outdoors...  My theory is it may be physically easier but it is mentally harder.  So the net result is about the same.  I think it can be useful to force you to keep a certain pace.  It certainly is useful for situations where you can't get outside due to weather or other obligations.

Janet
2010-04-24 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2813159

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Marsha... your question of what to wear is for a tri, right??  But you are just running on Sunday... my advice, do NOT run in a wetsuit...    JUST KIDDING< ha ha!

I think the wetsuit is a personal thing.... being as you are a great swimmer, you won't get quite the speed benefit from the wetsuit as a weaker swimmer who really needs it for buoyancy.  Therefore, for YOU, the benefit will be for warmth and that means personal preference as far as water temperature.  I wore mine for the first time in a race last weekend, water temps were 65, but there were people going without and I think I could have easily.  I remember swimming at 65-68 as a kid.  I have another race coming in May, but since it's only 300 meters, I will go without no matter the water temp because any speed I might pick up I'll lose in transition trying to get it off!  Then there is the sleeveless/full sleeve, another personal preference.  I went full sleeve, if the water is that cold, I want my arms covered!  I do feel some extra strain on my deltoids as I swim, even though it is fitting correctly.  In New Hampshire your water will be cold a long time as opposed to Texas (in the summer we can't wait for the water temps to get down into the 80's!).  Whatever you decide, make sure to swim in it before your race!  You CAN swim in it in the pool, but be sure to rinse if off really well when you're done and I wouldn't make a habit of it, chlorine can hurt it.  DeSoto makes a 2-piece wetsuit, the legs are really thick so probably very buoyant... I spent 20 minutes trying to get it on in the dressing room when I was shopping for mine... I was dripping sweat, ugh!  And that was just the pants, I never did get the top on!  Decided no way did I want to go through that for a race, so went for the one-piece.

One piece tri suit vs. 2-piece?  Again, personal preference.  I go for the 2 piece, tri shorts and a tri top (mine has a built in bra and my endowment doesn't need extra support, ha ha!)  I am very long in the waist and I really don't want to have to worry about digging a wedgie out during all three legs of the race!  Plus, I go to the bathroom about a zillion times before the swim, much easier in a 2-piece.  The difference between bike shorts and tri shorts is the padding.  Bike shorts have a big thick padding which will absorb water like a sponge and you'll feel like you're wearing a wet diaper!  Tri shorts have a thin fleece lining that dries quicker.  I rarely ride in bike shorts anymore, I love my tri shorts.  I love the LOOK of a one-piece, it just doesn't work for ME.

Can't really give any tri suit suggestions to the guys... 

2010-04-24 9:09 AM

Hi All,

Happy Weekend everyone and thanks for the multitude of comments and support! 

I have what may be the strange question for the weekend.  As a background to my concern, I have extermely tender feet (should have been part of the Tenderfoot tribe!).  I rarely walk around barefoot and usually always have something on my feet.  So as I look forward to this summer and hopefully my first Tri in July, my big concern is T1.  I am concerned about having to get from the water to the bike area in my bare feet.  I am not sure if they have a mat or something on the ground or what the transition areas look like.  For all of you who have some Tri experience, what is the T1 area like and how should I look to prepare to get to my bike?  Any and all comments and jokes are appreciated!

Tri and have a great weekend!

Carl
2010-04-24 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2813680

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Well Carl... getting to T1 CAN be hard on your feet.  If the swim exit isn't sandy, they usually put down some astroturf or something in the water, but then you have to run across grass or dirt to get to the transition area.  I'm pretty sure you can put some flip flops or old shoes at the swim exit to throw on to run to T1, of course you take the chance of them disappearing.  My feet are pretty tender, so I don't run very fast, plus I have the disadvantage of not having my glasses on, so that doesn't help.  Some transition areas are on pavement, but most of mine have been on grass.  You can always email the race director to see if you can put some shoes out at the swim exit.  Once you get your bike shoes (and socks if you wear them) on, you should be good to go for the rest of the race.

Tender feet = tender heart!
2010-04-24 9:27 AM

User image

Seminole, FL
It is the weekend, YAY! The weather here in FL is beautiful. I truly have a full load on my plate this weekend but I am bound and determined to squeeze in a good dose of training.
It is great meeting all of you and it is keeping me motivated to see all the training going on.

DREADMILL Training- I agree Janet that the treadmill seems easier physically but feeling like a mouse on the wheel is truly mentally tough. I really like using the treadmill for speed work. I see it show up in a big way if I speed train on the tred and then get outside the next day for a run.

HAPPY WEEKEND TRAINING !!! Can't wait to see all of your posts
2010-04-24 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the tips on the Tri-grear Hilde. For the pee factor alone I think the 2 piece tri-suit sounds like a better idea! I gotta find out what the water temps will be like to decide on the wetsuit I guess!

Did a nice 17.6 mile ride this morning...my longest ever! It felt good! My legs don't really get tired biking...are they supposed to? Does that mean I need to ride in a harder gear or what? It just feels SO different than running or even compared to spinning class (as far as the feeling in my legs)...being a newbie biker I don't know what it's "supposed to" feel like - ya know! I gained some much needed confidence on clipping/un-clipping and knowing what gears felt more comfortable to me in different situations. I'm still not good at clipping in from a stop while turning and going up a hill at the same time - HUMPH!
Should my chain stay in the middle (of 3) rings on my front gears for most of the ride...I seemed to be shifting the back rings/gears more than the front throughout most of the ride...?

How YOUR weekend training going?
2010-04-24 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2813741

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I only have 2 rings up front and am mainly in the big one all the time.  I only shift to the smaller one when I have a hill that is hurting a little too much in the big one!  Basically I'd just stay in the one that offers you the most variety without having to shift the front too much.  I really MISS my 3rd ring up front, the so-called Granny gear, some hills you just need it! 

As far as leg fatigue, maybe you just have really fit legs!  Mine will feel fatigued after a good ride, but I usually ride pretty hard as much as possible.  I've felt a big difference in my leg recovery since I've added a lot of biking to my training after the half-marathon.  Legs felt fine when I was just running, but now I'm using them for 2 sports, and I can really feel the fatigue some days.  I'm hoping that will start to feel like strength as long as I keep at it....

I do not have a bike plan specifically as far as interval training.  I don't think I've reached the point that I have to add it yet, as long as I'm getting in volume and really pushing myself, I should continue to see my pace increase.

So nice ride Marsha.... I ride anywhere from a short 13 miles up to 25ish right now, hoping to increase that up to 30+ once a week.  Next week Tammy (TTucker) and I are signed up for a free 45 mile ride on Ft. Hood.... supposedly with "challenging" hills, that coming from my old mentor who is a bike monster!!  I'm thinking we should feel afraid!

I would work on training distances that are a bit further than your race distance... if you are doing Sprints and will race 12 miles, work up to rides that are up to 20 miles.... OLY distance, race distance about 25 miles, ride 30-35 miles.  I did one OLY last year with my longest ride being about 32 miles and I did GREAT on the bike leg, but totally sucked on the run... had to walk most of it.  From what I've read, having a good run leg depends on coming off the bike feeling pretty fresh which only comes from having a really good bike base and endurance.  So to be better at the run, get better at the bike!

My plan is to do a long run today, just got back from a big breakfast out with hubby, so gonna wait till that settles a bit, get some chores done around the house.  And if the weather holds, maybe a short bike too!

Edited by hildekq 2010-04-24 11:10 AM

2010-04-24 11:37 AM

Veteran
Swim help please. OK, today I felt truly relaxed and calm in the water which was great. In general it was a fabulous swim, which perhaps let me notice some things I usually don't. I breathe every time on my right. Several times, especially near the end of the workout and at the end of fast sets I noticed my left hand/arm dragging in the water instead of coming up high elbow and plunging down. Any thoughts other than just focusing on it? I try to rotate my body equally left and right, but maybe I'm not really accomplishing it.

-k
2010-04-24 1:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the bike tips Hilde! Yes...I plan to work my way up in mileage to about 35-40. This was only my second ride EVER. My first was 10 and this one was 17

As for the swimming...Have you tried working on the drills where you drag your fingertips through the water while your elbow is bent and pointed at the ceiling. This will reinforce the high elbows! Part of it is just staying aware and building more endurance (mine aren't as high at the end of a swim as they are when I start out!). For the breathing - you could force yourself to breathe every third or 5th stroke (working on breath control and alternating sides) as another drill. I've been a swimmer for almost 30 years and I ***always*** breathe to the right unless I'm being nosy and need to see what's on my left and then I only do it for a stroke or 2 so you CAN be a good swimmer and not switch sides - go with what feels good/natural to you. I, for some reason, get a TON of water down deep in my ear when I breathe to the left that, I swear doesn't come out for days...it's SO strange! But, THAT is why I always breathe to the right!
2010-04-24 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2813985

User image

Ha!  PT, for some strange reason I thought I was the only one who had that problem.  Every time I breathe to the left, I end up with water on the brain - or at least way down in my ear that doesn't want to come out.  And strangely enough, I rarely have any problem with water in my ear when breathing to the right.  That side just seems easier and more natural to me.  I try to throw in a lap of breathing every three strokes at four or five different points in my workout and it leaves me winded by the far end of the pool.  I can't imagine going 5 strokes!  I do feel like my strokes and swimming mechanics are smoother when I do it, but I don't have the endurance/lung capacity to maintain it yet.  
2010-04-24 2:48 PM
in reply to: #2813825

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
And I am more comfortable breathing to the left, go figure!  Ditto on the recommendation to practice the fingertip drill... basically a normal swim, but drag your fingertips in the water as you recover from your stroke... this forces a high elbow recovery as well as teaching you the shortest distance to your next stroke is a straight line.  Another similar one is called the "zipper" where you imagine you are pulling up a zipper along your side from your hip to your armpit.  I like the fingertip drag better, it feels cool!  As your body gets tired towards the end of your workout, your form will probably break down a bit, I know mine does.  Just concentrate on it and try to correct it, but it should correct itself when you come back fresh the next workout.  The more time you get in the water, the stronger your arms and shoulders will get and the longer you will be able to hold form.
2010-04-24 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2814083

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
And as far as water in the ear goes.... I keep a tiny squirt bottle of rubbing alchohol that I squeeze into each ear and shake out as I'm showering, works every time!  You can buy pre-made drops at the grocery store where they sell ear drops... that's what I did and now just refill it with rubbing alchohol.

2010-04-24 8:29 PM

User image

Expert
All right, guys-- I did it!

Signed up for my first (and main) races of the summer that is. Since I'll be in California for the month of June, I've signed up to do the L.A. Tri Express #3 on June 13th, and the Tri for Life in Ventura on June 27. They're both sprints-- the second has an ocean swim, though, and I couldn't pass that chance up! Then I've also signed up for the Chicago Tri at the end of August...my first Oly...eep!

I thought of doing one of the CA tris as an Oly, but then decided not to for several reasons: 1) the distance makes me nervous still, so I'd like to have more training/racing under my belt before I give that a whirl; 2) the June 13th race will only be my second tri ever, so it seems a bit silly to jump ahead in distance that quickly; and 3) the June 13th race will be my first tri of this season. So why not have fun with the two sprints and save the Oly for later, I reasoned. But I've definitely signed up for the Oly in August, so no wimping out on the distance this year!Laughing

There are a couple of other races locally that I might sign up for once I know my summer travel schedule a bit better...but thought I'd get the big landmark races signed up for now.

*takes deep breath and heads over to buy a transition bag*
2010-04-24 8:31 PM
in reply to: #2814086

User image

Expert
hildekq - 2010-04-24 2:50 PM And as far as water in the ear goes.... I keep a tiny squirt bottle of rubbing alchohol that I squeeze into each ear and shake out as I'm showering, works every time!  You can buy pre-made drops at the grocery store where they sell ear drops... that's what I did and now just refill it with rubbing alchohol.

x2. Best stuff ever-- and I speak as someone who used to be a lifeguard and still remembers waking up one night with the WORST middle ear infection from the pool one summer. A few drops in each ear has taken care of that concern ever since...and yep, I'll take a moment in transition to do that, too!Laughing
2010-04-24 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2814448

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
YEA ALEX for registering for her first 3 races!!  What a go-getter, one was not enough, let' s go for three AND make the last one an OLY!!  There is nothing like having a race on the horizon to keep you honest and out there training!!!  Congrats Alex, I'm so happy for you!
2010-04-24 9:04 PM

User image

Seminole, FL
Very Cool ALex! How exciting! Races are more fun than shopping, pedicures and going out on the town! I miss em' can't wait to do one this season!
2010-04-25 5:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Alex - Way to go on getting out there and signed up for some races (including an oly - YIPPEE!!!) Any luck finding a Transition bag? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to spend the money on one or not!? I just ordered some tri-shorts and a tri-top and that was enough money spending for one night...the bag will have to wait.

I'm headed off to my 1/2 marathon relay in about 20 minutes here - it's almost 2 hours drive away from here - let's hope the weather is better there than it is here... I'll be back later to let you all know how it was!

2010-04-25 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2814660

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I just use a really big gym bag for my transition bag... as long as everything fits in it anything you use is fine.  I do wish I could wear it as a backpack though...
2010-04-25 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone! I'm nervous, but excited...

Marsha, good luck on the relay today! Can't wait to hear about it!

As for the transition bag, I used a duffle at the one tri I did last year, but, like Hilde said, REALLY wished I could wear it as a backpack as I slowly trundled my longish way back to the car (had to walk my bike because I couldn't ride and carry the duffle). So I looked around, and Amazon had a Tyr transition backpack for $50-something, which seemed reasonable. So I'll see when I get it (in early May, I'm told). I do sympathize with the "enough tri-spending" issue, though: I'm trying to keep track of $ so I don't get too blown away when the credit card bill comes in...Money mouth
2010-04-25 9:28 AM

Veteran
I use a re-usable grocery bag for my transition bag. It folds up small under my towel, but still holds tons. I HATE walking to the transition area so I cram everything in there, put my helmet on and ride (in a somewhat precarious manner) to set-up. Haven't fallen yet . . .
-k
2010-04-25 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2814824

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
So you've committed yourself to this addiction we call, 'TRIATHLON'....  Open the wallet, heat up the credit card, your money is GONE!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 41