General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2010-09-09 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3089015

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
I was thinking about using this plan for my first HIM.  Looking at it it seems swim heavy at times.  I am a  good swimmer.  Would there be many negatives of dropping some swims to make it more 2x per week swimming?

2010-09-09 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Well guys. I've just switched from my HIM to the Olympic race.  I just feel in my heart I wouldn't be able to finish it and I don't want it to be that way.   Hopefully I can re-join the group after I find an early HIM for 2011.  I appreciate all the support and good luck to everyone racing soon!  Happy training.

2010-09-09 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3089182

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
Good Luck in your race.
2010-09-09 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3089182

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
Triathlynne - 2010-09-09 11:40 AM

Well guys. I've just switched from my HIM to the Olympic race.  I just feel in my heart I wouldn't be able to finish it and I don't want it to be that way.   Hopefully I can re-join the group after I find an early HIM for 2011.  I appreciate all the support and good luck to everyone racing soon!  Happy training.

Good luck and have a good race!!
2010-09-09 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3089015

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Seren - 2010-09-09 9:34 AM Hi all.....I just signed up for my first HIM - San Juan 70.3 and I am psyched!  I downloaded the plan into my logs and I start serious training by Halloween!    I have done 4 sprints and 1 Olympic this past season.  They were a lot of fun but I am used to going and going and going.  I have a background in high alitude mountaineering and miss "the zone" that long days of training can put one in.    My goal is a full ironman and then on to Ultras, but for now I happy with HIM training!

How cool! You picked such a neat race! I know what you mean about "the zone". I miss it! I haven't done any long training of any kind in almost 2 years!
Jessica
2010-09-09 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3089079

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
tallvinny - 2010-09-09 9:58 AM I was thinking about using this plan for my first HIM.  Looking at it it seems swim heavy at times.  I am a  good swimmer.  Would there be many negatives of dropping some swims to make it more 2x per week swimming?

I think that would be fine if you are confident on the swim already. Best of luck and make sure to keep us updated!
Jessica

2010-09-09 11:33 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Hi everyone!

I hope that it's okay that I post here...

I'm looking at doing my first HIM next year in June (there just aren't anymore to even register for in my neck of the woods for this year) and I'm planning on using the BT plans to prepare   I haven't officially started the HIM plan yet, but until I do, I'm planning on using the "No Fluff" plan.  Any suggestions for training through the cold, wet Pacific Northwest winters would be greatly appreciated! 
2010-09-10 9:50 AM
in reply to: #3090650

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
blueyedbikergirl - 2010-09-09 11:33 PM Hi everyone!

I'm looking at doing my first HIM next year in June (there just aren't anymore to even register for in my neck of the woods for this year) and I'm planning on using the BT plans to prepare   I haven't officially started the HIM plan yet, but until I do, I'm planning on using the "No Fluff" plan.  Any suggestions for training through the cold, wet Pacific Northwest winters would be greatly appreciated! 

Welcome! It is very hard to train over the winter if you are doing everything by yourself. The best advice I can give is to join a Masters swim program and find a group training program that has a weekly indoor spin class with your own bike and trainer or computrainers. You might want to find a half marathon to train for over the winter, too. All those things will hopefully keep you more engaged with your training over the winter.
Jessica
2010-09-10 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3091199

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-09-10 9:50 AM
blueyedbikergirl - 2010-09-09 11:33 PM Hi everyone!

Welcome! It is very hard to train over the winter if you are doing everything by yourself. The best advice I can give is to join a Masters swim program and find a group training program that has a weekly indoor spin class with your own bike and trainer or computrainers. You might want to find a half marathon to train for over the winter, too. All those things will hopefully keep you more engaged with your training over the winter.
Jessica

Thanks Jessica

I've already been looking into the masters option (the problem right now is finding one that's compatible with my work schedule) and finding a half marathon, but I hadn't even thought about a spin class where I could use my own bike - that would be fantastic, and thanks for the suggestion!
2010-09-10 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3089079

User image

Melon Presser
tallvinny - 2010-09-09 10:58 PM I was thinking about using this plan for my first HIM.  Looking at it it seems swim heavy at times.  I am a  good swimmer.  Would there be many negatives of dropping some swims to make it more 2x per week swimming?

That's my exact feeling as well. I'd say for someone who's a good swimmer, the plan is a bit swim-rich and a bit bike-poor. No negatives to dropping a swim workout (I rarely swam, and now rarely swim, whilst training for HIM), but remember that the total volume of training is geared to build up your endurance, so you may want to add some bike minutes.
2010-09-11 5:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
This thread is great!!!  Lot's of good advice and motivation! 

Anyways this is my first season.  I decided to concentrate on sprints this year and move on to longer distances next year.  I have done 2 sprints so far and 2 more on the way.  I will participate on LA tri on October 3rd and Turkey tri on November 28.  I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that there won't be 7' waves at Venice Beach this year 'coz that's how bad it was last year.  Of course, knowing the stubborn me, I will most likely battle it out even if I come in last place in my age group.  The Turkey tri I think is great because the distances are longer than a sprint.

Come December, I will try the 16 week 3x balanced training program in preparation for an oly, and two HIM next year. An oly in March, HIM in April, and another HIM in August overseas.

This is an addiction!!!

Edited by arkmann 2010-09-11 5:19 PM

2010-09-12 9:43 AM

Plainview, NY
Howdy out there, another week, another post to keep me honest! 

Week 2 was a good one, starting to pick up a little speed and a lot of endurance.  The Thursday run was much less a problem this time around, particularly given that the weather was about twenty degrees cooler.  Biking was a little faster, glad to see some interval-like work in there.  And I finally got into the pool!  Funny thing is, I've always been less confident in the pool and more so out in open water swims.  The long day, however, proved to me that I'm actually capable of swimming some distance with no wetsuit to aid in flotation. 

Looking to Week 3, it's starting to turn a bit chillier, so I'm going to have to start moving a bit more of the training indoors.  My thought on this is to go into a maintenance plan in November and restart this plan 20 weeks from Bold Eagle so that I'll be ready on that race.  Anyone got any recommendations on an indoor bike trainer?

On a separate note, I was out last night in Brooklyn Bridge Park, NYC with a couple hundred of my closest photographer friends for a few hours shooting the Tribute In Light, the light display representing the twin towers felled on 11 September 2001.  This is something that, despite appearing subtly as the sun set, was so powerful that as it came clearly into view I noticed the assembled group get quieter, almost reverent, as we took in the dramatic sight across the water.  That I took some of my most cherished photos is simply a side benefit.  The appearance of those lights in the absent space in downtown Manhattan is something I will never forget, and a motivation in my daily work.  The Freedom Tower is in the process of rising to fill the space left behind, but the haunting image of those two beams of light and what they represent will forever etch upon my soul the memory of those lost, who sacrificed so much for the sake of strangers, who went about their lives and were taken away from us that fateful day.  Wherever you may be, this is a sight worth seeing, and an emotion worth experiencing. 

Until next week, folks, take care all and happy training!

mG
2010-09-12 10:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Hi Everybody,

My name is Charlie and I just finished up my first summer of training for Sprint Tris.  I did two sprints and had a lot of fun, wouldn't say that I was competitive but achieved my goals of being able to finish and still have fun.  Although I have a long ways to go still, I am very slow.

I think I will lurk awhile on this board as I am planning on the same 1/2 iron distance race that lextek is doing the Musselman in Geneva, NY.  I plan on starting up this plan in February and already found some good ideas for how to bridge my time until that starts.  (Was out of town during the Skinnyman, but heard it was a great race)

Looks like Central New York is fairly well represented so far, which is fun to see. 

Thanks already for some great insight and tips, I look forward to learning more and sharing my experience as I train for this event which right now seems like a crazy thing for me to aim for.
2010-09-12 10:37 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Really great to see everyone and listen to your progress!

I'm back from big-big holidays at my parents' and ready to get back on the wagon again. One of the reasons I needed to drop the iron for a half was that I have significant obligations to elderly parents and a very unpredictable life, and there was just no way I could keep up the consistency for a full. ALMOST ... but not quite ... which makes it perfect for a half.
2010-09-12 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3093498

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
chmoore2 - 2010-09-12 11:08 AM

Hi Everybody,

My name is Charlie and I just finished up my first summer of training for Sprint Tris.  I did two sprints and had a lot of fun, wouldn't say that I was competitive but achieved my goals of being able to finish and still have fun.  Although I have a long ways to go still, I am very slow.

I think I will lurk awhile on this board as I am planning on the same 1/2 iron distance race that lextek is doing the Musselman in Geneva, NY.  I plan on starting up this plan in February and already found some good ideas for how to bridge my time until that starts.  (Was out of town during the Skinnyman, but heard it was a great race)

Looks like Central New York is fairly well represented so far, which is fun to see. 

Thanks already for some great insight and tips, I look forward to learning more and sharing my experience as I train for this event which right now seems like a crazy thing for me to aim for.

See ya in Geneva Charlie. I think I'm going with the winter maintenance plan and start the HIM in February also. Skinnyman was a fun race.
2010-09-12 6:09 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

This is a great winter plan for those of you looking for something to do after the season. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=186131&start=1

2010-09-12 6:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Farmington NY
Just upgraded to silver and loaded the run focus maint. plan. Starting in a week.
2010-09-13 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3092963

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
arkmann - 2010-09-11 5:19 PM This thread is great!!!  Lot's of good advice and motivation! 

Anyways this is my first season.  I decided to concentrate on sprints this year and move on to longer distances next year.  I have done 2 sprints so far and 2 more on the way.  I will participate on LA tri on October 3rd and Turkey tri on November 28.  I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that there won't be 7' waves at Venice Beach this year 'coz that's how bad it was last year.  Of course, knowing the stubborn me, I will most likely battle it out even if I come in last place in my age group.  The Turkey tri I think is great because the distances are longer than a sprint.

Come December, I will try the 16 week 3x balanced training program in preparation for an oly, and two HIM next year. An oly in March, HIM in April, and another HIM in August overseas.

This is an addiction!!!

Welcome! Best of luck to you in your remaining races this season. Can't wait to see you in the Olympic plan forums and THEN see you move up to HIM!
Jessica
2010-09-13 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3093472

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
pitman80 - 2010-09-12 9:43 AM Howdy out there, another week, another post to keep me honest! 

Week 2 was a good one, starting to pick up a little speed and a lot of endurance.  The Thursday run was much less a problem this time around, particularly given that the weather was about twenty degrees cooler.  Biking was a little faster, glad to see some interval-like work in there.  And I finally got into the pool!  Funny thing is, I've always been less confident in the pool and more so out in open water swims.  The long day, however, proved to me that I'm actually capable of swimming some distance with no wetsuit to aid in flotation. 

Looking to Week 3, it's starting to turn a bit chillier, so I'm going to have to start moving a bit more of the training indoors.  My thought on this is to go into a maintenance plan in November and restart this plan 20 weeks from Bold Eagle so that I'll be ready on that race.  Anyone got any recommendations on an indoor bike trainer?

mG

Look on Craisglist for a fluid trainer or computrainer. Magnetic trainers aren't quite as useful. The Cycle Ops Fluid 2 trainer is very popular, so you should be anle to find one on Craigslist since you are in a large metro area.
Sounds like you are ROCKING your training. I love that you give us updates every week. I wish everyone would do that!
Jessica
2010-09-13 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3093498

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
chmoore2 - 2010-09-12 10:08 AM Hi Everybody,

Welcome!! I am happy you have joined the discussion. I know your goals seem crazy now, but that's what makes them so fun and motivating! You WILL get it done!
Jessica
2010-09-13 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3094036

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
TriPatrick - 2010-09-12 6:09 PM

This is a great winter plan for those of you looking for something to do after the season. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=186131&start=1

Totally agree! Jorge is a GREAT coach!
Jessica

2010-09-13 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Boston
I have to agree with the above ^^^^^  I did this plan last winter and it rocked!  My speed went up doing all those intervals!  I'll be utilizing Jorge again this winter.

My plan doesn't get going until the end of October.   But I think I am going to take that first month and start on Oct 1.  I'll just do the 1st month twice.   I am still resting from tri season.  I burnt out at the end so I am taking these extra weeks to make sure I don't start feeling burn-out within the 1st month of HIM training.   I am going to the gym M/W/F  and am just playing the R/B/S by ear for now.    Just doin' it for fun for another few weeks
2010-09-13 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
33 days and counting until my first HIM. I am still following the beginner HIM plan from BT with just a few twists and tweaks here and there on the bike and run volume. Over the last 2-3 weeks, I have really started to see a culmination to all the work at the beginning of the plan and I can tell the fitness and endurance levels are increasing. This past weekend showed some really good signs... Long ride of almost 3 hours yielded my first average over 18MPH for a long ride. And, I felt really fresh afterwards, my legs weren't jello, and I definitely could have run right off the bike. The next day (Sunday) I went out for my long run and did 14 miles, which was my longest distance run to date. I finished the run strong and could have continued, but not wanting to push it, I decided to err on the side of caution and stop at 14 miles !!! Swimming is coming along well;I borrowed a friends kayak and am doing OWS once a week with the wife supporting me from the kayak and I am consistently doing swims beyond HIM distance without issue.

I have a recovery week this week, then 2 weeks of training before I start to taper and, at this point, am more concerned about injury between now and race day than not being ready physically or mentally. I wish the race was THIS weekend and not 30 days away!!! I may go bonkers before I get to the starting line .. the anticipation is really starting to build!
2010-09-13 2:29 PM

User image

Pro
Question about starting late... I'll only have 18 wks to do the 20 wk program. 

The plan for my May 15 race should start Dec 26. Well, this is the day I'll be summiting Kilimanjaro! I come back on the 1st, and then I'm running the Ragnar Relay through the FL Keys. (Rough life, right?) So, my run volume will be there, but minimal biking and probably no swimming.

My Oly tri is November 14th, and after that, I'll be focusing on running for Ragnar, but probably still slipping a bike and swim in weekly.  

Should I pick up at week 18 instead of week 20?  Should I go easy on the run for the first week back to training?

2010-09-13 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3095181

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Seren - 2010-09-13 10:26 AM I have to agree with the above ^^^^^  I did this plan last winter and it rocked!  My speed went up doing all those intervals!  I'll be utilizing Jorge again this winter.

My plan doesn't get going until the end of October.   But I think I am going to take that first month and start on Oct 1.  I'll just do the 1st month twice.   I am still resting from tri season.  I burnt out at the end so I am taking these extra weeks to make sure I don't start feeling burn-out within the 1st month of HIM training.   I am going to the gym M/W/F  and am just playing the R/B/S by ear for now.    Just doin' it for fun for another few weeks

I love it! Taking it easy, enjoying yourself, being smart - signs of a healthy triathlon habit! Great job!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150