BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2010-12-27 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3262704

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED

Mike_D - 2010-12-27 10:56 AM Thanks for all the replies folks. Made out OK over here, Josh. Only 5" of snow, but its more like slush than snow. I did shovel this AM, but it appears the "other sports" does not include snow shoveling! Good cardio, no doubt .

The snowblower is going to the shop this week for a fix.

Glad the snow held off for the most part, so I can still go for my early AM runs without worrying about the deep stuff on roadsides or sidewalks.

It's under snow shoveling.

(snow shoveling.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
snow shoveling.JPG (25KB - 20 downloads)

2010-12-27 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3262644

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Boston Beginner - 2010-12-27 9:09 AM

itziaol - 2010-12-26 11:15 PM
itziaol - 2010-12-26 5:26 PM

Santa gave me a check for a beginner’s bike (that is to say an inexpensive one LOL).  Everything is 30 to 40% cheaper in the US, so I’ll be getting it in March when I go to Memphis, TN.  I found some models on line, and I would appreciate if you could help me chose it because I don’t really know much about this and I have to do things in advance.  I’d be most grateful for any comments you might have on the following:

1) Specialized Dolce sport triple    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52860&scid=1001&scname=Road

2) Cannondale Synapse Alloy 6 Tiagra  http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Products/Bikes/Womens/Performance-Road/Synapse-Alloy/Details/2669-1RWA6C44BLK-Synapse-Womens-Alloy-6-Tiagra

3) Trek Lexa S   http://www.trekbikes.com/women/wsd_products/bikes/road/lexas/

4) Giant Avail 3  http://www.giantforwomen.com/bikes

5) Orbea Aqua Dama T23  http://www.giantforwomen.com/bikes

6) Fuji Finest 2.0  http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/finest_2_0

7) Felt  ZW95  http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Fit-Woman/ZW-Series/ZW95.aspx

8) Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Dama Sora  http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/dama-bianca/via-nirone-7-dama/via-nirone-7-dama-sora/

9) Jamis Ventura Comp Femme  http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/road/ventura/11_venturacompf.html

Thanks!

I narrowed it down to 4 bikes and ordered them according to my own unlearned preference.  I know it’s important to know about the quality of frames, but I don’t really have much information about that.  I hope you can give me some guidance.

1) Specialized Dolce sport triple http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52860&scid=1001&scname=Road

1) Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Dama Sora  http://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/dama-bianca/via-nirone-7-dama/via-nirone-7-dama-sora/

2) Giant Avail 3  http://www.giantforwomen.com/bikes

3) Cannondale Synapse Alloy 6 Tiagra  http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng/Products/Bikes/Womens/Performance-Road/Synapse-Alloy/Details/2669-1RWA6C44BLK-Synapse-Womens-Alloy-6-Tiagra

Thanks!  Smile

I had a Cannondale that I borrowed from a friend for a bout a year.  I liked it.  The best advice I can give you is make sure you get to ride all of them.  Recommendations are good, but you really need to see how you body fits to each brand.   They are all made differently.  I think when you narrow it down to 2, post a thread in the tri talk area and the people who have those specific bikes will give you good info to make a final decision.  Good luck.

I'll do that.  Thank you Josh!

Have a nice day everyone Smile 
2010-12-27 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Veteran
Josh,
For your Ironman AZ did you do alot of long bike training (80+ miles)?  I noticied on your training log you did about the same amount of miles as I did.   I was training for a century bike race to gain the confidence that I could do the distance and being able to get off the bike and run after.  I completed the bike ride (back in August), but they was no way I could run after.  It made me think if I want to finish a ironman or half iron that I would need to double my miles, which would mean double my time away from the family.    With my schedule and being able to swim & run.  I dont see myself puting in more miles in the bike.  Was the miles you did (training) perfect for your ironman race or did you wish you had done more.  My goal is 2012 or 2013 to race St. George Ironman.
2010-12-27 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Here is my last tri race report of this season back in October.  Sorry it took so long to completed.  Who has a race in January?

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=237301&posts=1&start=1
2010-12-27 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3262742

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

utahrunner - 2010-12-27 11:15 AM Josh,
For your Ironman AZ did you do alot of long bike training (80+ miles)?  I noticied on your training log you did about the same amount of miles as I did.   I was training for a century bike race to gain the confidence that I could do the distance and being able to get off the bike and run after.  I completed the bike ride (back in August), but they was no way I could run after.  It made me think if I want to finish a ironman or half iron that I would need to double my miles, which would mean double my time away from the family.    With my schedule and being able to swim & run.  I dont see myself puting in more miles in the bike.  Was the miles you did (training) perfect for your ironman race or did you wish you had done more.  My goal is 2012 or 2013 to race St. George Ironman.

I think I did 5 rides of 75+.  I did 1 century.  The mileage I did was fine, it was the elements that was an issue for me for IMAZ.  If there was no wind, I would have cut 1:00 to 1:30 off my time.  I picked a course that was flat, which it was.  I made a conscience effort to make sure my swim conditioning was good, which it was, and to make sure I practiced the run after the bike, which I did.  Even though my biked sucked, I ran the 1st 11 miles.  Here is my race report.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=234925

2010-12-27 12:10 PM

User image

Athens, GA
Hope all had a good present day!  I am up here in New Hampshire for my present, so normal training is a bit off. I try to stick to a schedule, but this month with the cold I had as well as a stomach virus tat went around I lost a few weeks of training. But I figures that it was better to recover then drag out my body's down time. The next week or so my workouts will consist of Skiing, which I know is good for the legs and mind, probably not cardio! Already a bit sore. 

The fact that snow shoveling is in the list of activities has cracked me up, I guess I need to log that time as well.

Lets see, right now I have a basic Polar HR monitor, but just use it to track where I am. I have not done a lactate test, kinda of feel at my basic level it is better to just get out there and run/bike the X minuets on the plan then worry about what zone I am in. I try to keep certain paces, but also let my body decide if I need to adjust up or down. 

I currently have toe straps on my bike. I have look petals, but no shoes as of yet, I hope to get a pair in the next week or so with some xmas $ I got. at my LBS I talked to my bike fitter/guru about the shoes I should get. I am not really looking to go outside the $150 limit, as I like eating food and having heat as much as I like my bike, so he suggested a few types, but the biggest thing he said was to get fitted for the shoes, both the size and width.  Also try on the shoes at the end of the day when your feet are the most swollen.  Your toes can be  a lot more forward then in running shoes, as they will not move around a lot. The shoes should fit well on your feet. No need to walk around in them. If they feel good after a couple of minuets of wearing them (maybe go up on your toes once or twice) and your foot does not feel sloppy then go for it. None of them he said would last more then a few years regardless of how much $ they cost.  So that is the advice I am using for shopping for my first cycling shoes.  

Hope you are all well, warm, dry, and having a good day.

2010-12-27 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3262737

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Itzia,

I'm by no means an expert on bikes, but i would think that you could find a bike with a little better components? I couldn't look at all of the bikes (the Military likes to block certain sites?) but it looks like you were looking in the $1000 range? I did a lot of shopping at the end of the season and found several bikes in that range with 105 components. I did end up buying a used Serotta for $1100, I am 6'3" so the selection was much more limited than smaller sizes. Depending on the size, I see quite a few bikes on Craigslist, not sure what resources you may have for used bikes, but it would be a good option imho, but like was suggested ride several and find what you like and what fits correctly. 
I hope that helps.
Good Luck
Dan
2010-12-27 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3262936

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Mountaindan - 2010-12-27 12:13 PM Itzia,

I'm by no means an expert on bikes, but i would think that you could find a bike with a little better components? I couldn't look at all of the bikes (the Military likes to block certain sites?) but it looks like you were looking in the $1000 range? I did a lot of shopping at the end of the season and found several bikes in that range with 105 components. I did end up buying a used Serotta for $1100, I am 6'3" so the selection was much more limited than smaller sizes. Depending on the size, I see quite a few bikes on Craigslist, not sure what resources you may have for used bikes, but it would be a good option imho, but like was suggested ride several and find what you like and what fits correctly. 
I hope that helps.
Good Luck
Dan

Thank you Dan, it’s so nice of you to look at the links.  You are right.  I’ve also been trying to find a second hand bike, but I haven’t had much luck so far.  There are almost no women’s bikes for sale over here.  I had a look at Craigslist since I’ll be going to Memphis, and I face the same problem.  Besides, I also have a size disadvantage, only opposite to yours.  I’m 5’5 so I need a 48cm.  Not an easy find, it seems.  But I’ll keep on trying.

Thank you again!  Smile

2010-12-27 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mobile
I'm going to start the Couch to 5K and have a question if anyone has done this program.  The training is 3 days a week and I still want to get some weight training in (Legs and upper body).  I did not know if I could do the weight training on the off days or should I do it on the same day as the walking and running.  I know you are supposed to have some off days to let your body rest and I dont want to push it and end up with an injury.  I have read several articles and it says to stick to the program and not do more due to the risk of injury, so I was wondering if weight training is considered more.  I hope I did not confuse anyone, its not easy putting my thoughts in writing.  Basically I need to get on a beginner program and I would love to do the couch to sprint, but I dont have a pool to use at this time so I thought I would try the couch to 5K

Thanks
George
2010-12-27 3:58 PM

User image

Smithtown, Long Island, NY
Sorry to be asking a simple question again, but how do I add friends? I see you guys put up your training logs and added the forum group as your friends.

I have looked but don't see a place to do this. Thx Bill
2010-12-27 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mobile
Bill the way I added everyone is by going to my training log and on the left side where it has the list of friends, click on the + and it will take you to a different screen.  In the new screen you will click on the tab Friends and you will see where you can add friends by clicking on the ... and search by the user name, once you find the user you can select them and continue to do this until you have everyone on your list.  Make sure you click on update friends before you get out of the friends list or it will not save.

I looked and I think you have not setup your blog.  Go to settings and then click on the tab "Training Log Customization" then click on the Friends tab and check "Display Members photos in your Blog"  if this does not work then I have no idea since I'm new to this site..

Thanks
George

Edited by gdsemiller 2010-12-27 4:18 PM

2010-12-27 4:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Itzia -- You might want to check this out....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=237347&posts=1&start=1

I looked at the Roubaix when I was shopping and it's a sweet bike.  While it would not be new, it would likely be a great ride if the fit was OK for you.  My guess is you could off load it after a year if you wanted something different and not lose very much.

Good luck!
2010-12-27 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3263307

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
croixfan - 2010-12-27 4:23 PM Itzia -- You might want to check this out....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=237347&posts=1&start=1

I looked at the Roubaix when I was shopping and it's a sweet bike.  While it would not be new, it would likely be a great ride if the fit was OK for you.  My guess is you could off load it after a year if you wanted something different and not lose very much.

Good luck!

Curt – That Roubaix does look nice.  But I think it might be too big for me.  I’ll check it though.  Thank you so much for the link!  Now I know where to look for second hand bikes in this site.

Ail – Thanks for the advice on how to shop for cycling shoes.  I’m making a note of that.

I’ll try to attach my training plan in case someone has a chance to have a look at it.  I found one at BT and I changed it to suit my needs while working with distance instead of time. 

I haven’t been able to move for 10 days now.  I’m going crazy! Undecided

Attachments
----------------
TRAINING PROGRAMME 2011.xls (56KB - 27 downloads)
2010-12-28 12:21 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks everyone for all the birthday wishes. And, yes, I used to be a Bills fan (back when they lost 4 Super Bowls in a row). I've been in Vegas now for almost 8 years, so I'm currently without a local team and will cheer for anyone.

Got in a 6 mile run before my flight on Sunday and will be doing some time on the Elliptical tomorrow. Someone forgot to tell my parents to get all the leftover Christmas cookies out of the house. I'm trying to pretend they don't exist.
2010-12-28 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Good morning/afternoon.  Ok, so now that the holidays are over, time to focus on training.  In the past, I have done a Ironman challenge, but it looks like we have a bunch of folks that are run focused for a while, so I don't want to exclude them.  I do want to do some sort of challenge, so I think of one.  Maybe a weight loss or goals challenge.  I need to head back to the gym today.  I haven't run since AZ and only have been in the pool a couple of times.  I was going to go yesterday, but shoveling heavy, wet snow for 2 hours wore me out. 

P.S. - We have lost a member.  George decided to head off to another group.  Good luck George.

2010-12-28 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3262745

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
utahrunner - 2010-12-27 11:20 AM  Who has a race in January?

I do.
Heading to Miami in a month to do the half marathon... Don't know what it's gonna look like as I'm still struggling with my ITBand... I'll see how things go

2010-12-28 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3264310

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
Boston Beginner - 2010-12-28 11:25 AM

Good morning/afternoon.  Ok, so now that the holidays are over, time to focus on training.  In the past, I have done a Ironman challenge, but it looks like we have a bunch of folks that are run focused for a while, so I don't want to exclude them.  I do want to do some sort of challenge, so I think of one.  Maybe a weight loss or goals challenge.  I need to head back to the gym today.  I haven't run since AZ and only have been in the pool a couple of times.  I was going to go yesterday, but shoveling heavy, wet snow for 2 hours wore me out. 

P.S. - We have lost a member.  George decided to head off to another group.  Good luck George.

Sounds good to me
And even if I'm running focused now, I still want to do a HIM So let's play with goals  
2010-12-28 10:39 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

So here is the fancy table I have in my log.  Here is how to add to yours.

1. Click on edit on the upper left hand corner of your dashboard.

2. On the tool bar, there is a button for html, click it.  It's next to the question mark symbol.

3.  In the new window, scroll to the bottom and add this code- NOTE: Remove the 2 ** before and after code.

**<table style="margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;" border="6" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" bgcolor="blue" background="http://www.indigoimage.com/blog/images/winter_graphic.gif">
<tbody style="text-align: left;">
<tr style="text-align: left;">
<td style="width: 214px; text-align: center;" valign="bottom">
<div style="text-align: center;"><span style="color: #000000;"><strong>Boston Beginner&rsquo;s &ldquo;Really Beginners&rdquo;<br /></strong></span></div>
<div style="text-align: center;"><span style="color: #000000;"><strong><a href="../forums/thread-view.asp?tid=202757"><span style="color: #000000;">Mentor Group</span></a></strong></span></div>
<hr />
<div style="text-align: left;"><a href="index.asp?memberid=91709">Boston Beginner - Josh</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=188323">Ail - Ailie</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=45353">billytrek - Bill</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=165398">crlarner - Chris</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=170134">croixfan - Curt</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=207989">DP120107 - Dan</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=215987">itziaol - Itzia</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=180324">jpbis26 - Jackie</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=195571">Mike_D - Mike</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=194898">mountaindan - Dan</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=216523">otisbrown - Marcus</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=217296">playmobil31 - Alex</a><br /> <a href="index.asp?memberid=140947">utahrunner - Sterling</a></div>
<hr />
</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
<tbody style="text-align: left;">
</tbody>
</table>**

4. Click ok.

2010-12-28 11:14 AM
in reply to: #3264310

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Boston Beginner - 2010-12-28 11:25 AM

I always like a challenge so I am game for what ever you come up with. 
2010-12-28 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3262732

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Boston Beginner - 2010-12-27 10:11 AM

Mike_D - 2010-12-27 10:56 AM Thanks for all the replies folks. Made out OK over here, Josh. Only 5" of snow, but its more like slush than snow. I did shovel this AM, but it appears the "other sports" does not include snow shoveling! Good cardio, no doubt .

The snowblower is going to the shop this week for a fix.

Glad the snow held off for the most part, so I can still go for my early AM runs without worrying about the deep stuff on roadsides or sidewalks.

It's under snow shoveling.

LMAO!!! Guess I should have scrolled down further.
2010-12-28 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I'm all in for any sort of challenge -- been disappointed w/ my erratic training schedule this month, and looking to get back in the groove asap.

BTW -- what page is my 'dashboard'? I can't find the 'edit' button of which you speak.

MD

2010-12-28 1:15 PM
in reply to: #3264648

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Mike_D - 2010-12-28 2:11 PM I'm all in for any sort of challenge -- been disappointed w/ my erratic training schedule this month, and looking to get back in the groove asap.

BTW -- what page is my 'dashboard'? I can't find the 'edit' button of which you speak.

MD

(dashboard.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
dashboard.JPG (76KB - 12 downloads)
2010-12-28 1:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Will play / up for a challenge.  Just finishing up the "peach challenge" for December -- can advise AGAINST it as you do need the days off!!!!

A couple of thoughts:

1.  Develop a plan for the month and stick to it (3 days, 4 days, a week / whatever makes sense for you)
2.  Check at least 2 others logs for the day and provide at least one inspire every day.  Once you get a few, you'll understand how nice these are.
3.  Do a time trial in one discipline -- you choose the distance -- and see if you can beat it by 5% by month's end
4.  The dreaded weigh in at the beginning and end of the month

Other ideas?
2010-12-28 2:50 PM

Veteran
I tried posting the table but all got is what is on my training log now, I was unable to find the html, but I think it is enabled. What should the table look like?
2010-12-28 2:54 PM

Veteran
K. I think I got it. Is it just a table with all our names and links?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38