BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2010-12-27 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3262798

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED)
I could definitely get used to not working for a living.  I''l have had 17 days off in a row when I go back o work in a week.  But I'll hate trying to get back in the swing of things.

I got a hard swim this morning.  My main set was 24x50 in a ladder type workout.  I altered my WU and CD slightly but only by shifting some of the stuff forward and backward and making the CD one long set (500).  I hope all of that cause some of the normal to become abnormal and not allow my body to adjust and plateau quickly.  Right now my body is rocked and I need a nap and some food.

2010-12-27 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3262904

User image

Veteran
Hit the gym for the runners boot camp I do on Mondays, we run ten minutes as fast as we can. I was feeling great until I started having a hard time breathing from my sinus cold. I ended up with a mile and a half. We do some circuit training then head back to the track for sprint work, we sprint 1/10 of a mile jog 1/20 then sprint 1/10 again repeat 6 times. Do some more circuit training and hit the track one last time for 4 laps one at 50% 2 at 75% and 1 at 100% Can't wait till my cold goes away, my body feels great but I feel like crap

Edited by garrunning 2010-12-27 12:15 PM
2010-12-27 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3262798

New user

I did not see my name/userid (kmpals) on the list - does this mean I did not get in the group?
2010-12-27 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3262968

User image

kmpals - 2010-12-27 7:31 AM I did not see my name/userid (kmpals) on the list - does this mean I did not get in the group?

I'm sorry I skipped over you.  I saw your inquiry last night, but as I was responding to all the other posts, I forgot to reply to yours.

Yes...you're in.  Post a bio when you get a chance.

Welcome aboard.
2010-12-27 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3262929

User image

garrunning - 2010-12-27 7:08 AM Hit the gym for the runners boot camp I do on Mondays, we run ten minutes as fast as we can. I was feeling great until I started having a hard time breathing from my sinus cold. I ended up with a mile and a half. We do some circuit training then head back to the track for sprint work, we sprint 1/10 of a mile jog 1/20 then sprint 1/10 again repeat 6 times. Do some more circuit training and hit the track one last time for 4 laps one at 50% 2 at 75% and 1 at 100% Can't wait till my cold goes away, my body feels great but I feel like crap

While circuit training is great...I would caution you on doing all or most of your running in this "boot camp" style.  Too much intensity can lead to injuries.

Most of your actual running improvements will come from simply running more miles at an easy effort.  Easy meaning that you can speak a few sentences without gasping for air.

So while it seems this workout you described has your running about 2 miles or so...just make sure you also include some easy miles throughout the week as well.

As mentioned before...the running mantra of the BT forums is

Run more...mostly easy...sometimes hard.

And a great saying I picked up from the RunnersWorld forums is

You don't train fast to race...you train more to race fast.
2010-12-27 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3256440

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-12-27 1:20 PM

New user

CT
Day 1 of my new 22 week training session, slow start with only a light swim of about a half hour and jog for about half hour, Considering we had a blizzard yesterday and today, even getting to the gym today seems like a win lol
2010-12-27 1:27 PM
in reply to: #3263020

Veteran
tri808 - 2010-12-27 12:05 PM
garrunning - 2010-12-27 7:08 AM Hit the gym for the runners boot camp I do on Mondays, we run ten minutes as fast as we can. I was feeling great until I started having a hard time breathing from my sinus cold. I ended up with a mile and a half. We do some circuit training then head back to the track for sprint work, we sprint 1/10 of a mile jog 1/20 then sprint 1/10 again repeat 6 times. Do some more circuit training and hit the track one last time for 4 laps one at 50% 2 at 75% and 1 at 100% Can't wait till my cold goes away, my body feels great but I feel like crap

While circuit training is great...I would caution you on doing all or most of your running in this "boot camp" style.  Too much intensity can lead to injuries.

Most of your actual running improvements will come from simply running more miles at an easy effort.  Easy meaning that you can speak a few sentences without gasping for air.

So while it seems this workout you described has your running about 2 miles or so...just make sure you also include some easy miles throughout the week as well.

As mentioned before...the running mantra of the BT forums is

Run more...mostly easy...sometimes hard.

And a great saying I picked up from the RunnersWorld forums is

You don't train fast to race...you train more to race fast.

I am working on a new training program and it will include longer runs. Thanks for the help, if it warms up and I have time. I am hoping to get in a 4 to 5 mile run today.
2010-12-27 1:36 PM

I'm going to try and get in about a 6 mile run during lunch.  Boss is out today...so I can sneak in a bit more than usual...

Then going for a swim in my masters class after work.  I really need to get in some good workouts this week.  I ate way too many cookies this weekend.
2010-12-27 1:57 PM

With New Years coming up...how about we all set some goals as a mini resolution.  I like to set small goals to keep me focused.  Being that this mentor group is supposed to run till about March...lets set some goals for Jan 1 - Mar 31.

Set your goals how you want.  It could be by mileage/yardage, or it simply could be how many workouts you get in.  Maybe it's weight loss...maybe it's a time goal for an upcoming race. 

My goals so far include
A sub 1:05 time during an 8.15 mile running race on President's Day
Getting down to about 156 pounds (160-162 right now)
Average >25 mpw running

2010-12-27 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3263086

Veteran
I'm game

Goal's for now unless I find a race to enter
Weight down to 235 (240ish right now)
Average run speed on training 7:30 for 6 miles (I'm around 8:30 right now)

"Long term goals"
 1:30 TO 1:45 HALF MARATHON in may
First tri in june

2010-12-27 3:10 PM

I like the idea of setting some short term goals.  Trying to set them with the idea of doing a HIM in mid July so by the end of March I would like to be training at around. 

1. Swim 1k yards without stopping
  2. Run 10 miles
  3. Bike for 2 hours uninterrupted

If anyone has HIM experience and thinks those goals are too aggressive or conservative please let me know.  I am not concerned with the run, a bit concerned with the bike and really concerned with the swim which I have only been training at for a few weeks. 

Long term goal is to complete the HIM in July.  Not concerned with my time really just want to have a good race and stay injury free through training. 

2010-12-27 3:16 PM

Coastal Carolina
Short term goal- Complete first race, 5k, march 19th
2010-12-27 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3263189

Jilah - 2010-12-27 10:10 AM

I like the idea of setting some short term goals.  Trying to set them with the idea of doing a HIM in mid July so by the end of March I would like to be training at around. 

1. Swim 1k yards without stopping
  2. Run 10 miles
  3. Bike for 2 hours uninterrupted

If anyone has HIM experience and thinks those goals are too aggressive or conservative please let me know.  I am not concerned with the run, a bit concerned with the bike and really concerned with the swim which I have only been training at for a few weeks. 

Long term goal is to complete the HIM in July.  Not concerned with my time really just want to have a good race and stay injury free through training. 

I think those are reasonable goals for a July HIM.  Just make sure to work your way up to them.  Maybe get some lessons for the swim...and more time in the saddle will always help your biking.
2010-12-27 4:23 PM

Extreme Veteran
Tx
My name also got left off the list. 

pistuo/Will

I'll get on later tonight and add everyone as friends so you can see my logs.  I'm 5 weeks into the 20-week BT HIM training program.  A holiday trip to MN hurt my training and now being sick as a dog for 5 days has killed it!  I'm heading to the gym now to see what I can muster...

I'll also add my bio tonight... razzle dazzle!

Edited by pistuo 2010-12-27 4:34 PM
2010-12-27 4:33 PM
in reply to: #3262546

Extreme Veteran
Tx
DirkP - 2010-12-27 8:08 Will,
Welcome to the group.  I was checking out you pics on your profile.  Where are they from?  Was this mission work?

The pics are from Malawi, Africa.  Clean water is a huge need there, as well as what the bible calls "living water".  Many people there have never had a chance to experience either one!  I'm involved with groups that do both.  I usually go in the summer (which is winter there) and it's perfect weather!

2010-12-27 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3263153

Extreme Veteran
Mexico!
garrunning - 2010-12-27 2:46 PM

I would be very careful with this one, it is a big temptation for many (myself included) to try and run faster on training, it is not really that necessary.
over the summer I PRd almost every 10k I ran, got gradually faster and faster and my training paces hardly changed. training did change a little bit but the base was the same, last thing you want is an injury that could have been avoided with smart training.
others will surely have better advise than mine..
good luck!
2010-12-27 5:09 PM

New user

CT
Short term goals seem like a great idea:
get my weight down to 200, right now im about 215
be able to run a 5k in less than 25 min
2010-12-27 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3263359

Prince of Denmar - 2010-12-27 11:59 AM

I would be very careful with this one, it is a big temptation for many (myself included) to try and run faster on training, it is not really that necessary.
over the summer I PRd almost every 10k I ran, got gradually faster and faster and my training paces hardly changed. training did change a little bit but the base was the same, last thing you want is an injury that could have been avoided with smart training.
good luck!

I agree. 
2010-12-27 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3263393

Master
Fort Wayne
tri808 - 2010-12-27 6:23 PM
Prince of Denmar - 2010-12-27 11:59 AM

good luck!

I agree. 

X3

To gain that much on training paces you should be looking at over a year.  At least.  And that is if you have a good slow base building phase to a large amount of MPW.  For me to get that type of improvement I had to go through some injuries and off time that has a direct correlation to improper training.  My race times are decent (for a 41 year old).....21:00 5k race (6:45 miles) and a 1:38:00 half marathon (7:28 miles) and my easy run pace, after marathon training, is 8:10-ish.  While I was training for the mary my long/easy runs were 8:30-ish miles. 

I am not logging nearly the miles I was while in training for the marathon and that is why I can keep the 8:10 east run pace.  I just don't want you to learn through injury the way I had too.  Be careful.

2010-12-27 6:16 PM
in reply to: #3262437

Montana
Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (Open)

Thanks so much for letting me join! Looks like a great group and I look forward to meeting and training with you all. Here's a bit about me.

Name:  Holly

Background: I'll be turning 30 next week heading into my 4th season of tris. I always ran cross country and track and grew up hiking and skiing in the mountains of Montana. (For all the Hawaii peeps I also spent 4 years on the Big Island as a kid so HI is close to my heart!) I tore my ACL in a skiing accident in 2004 and started mountain biking when running was too painful. I happened to be visiting the Big Island again in '06 right before Kona IM and was super inspired to try out a triathlon. The only problem was that I was terrified of swimming... but over the past couple of years I've taught myself a meager freestyle and have completed several sprint distance tris and my first HIM this past summer.. swim and all! I especially like offroad tris like XTERRAs and hope to do more mtn bike racing this coming year. I love to combine exercise and fun if at all possible i.e. mountain biking or cross country skiing, but at the same time I would like to follow a more consistent training schedule to find my potential. I think this would have to involve improving my swimming.. dread. Hoping you all can help!

Family Status: Just me and my running partner/puppy dog Sula

Current Training: The last few months have been sporadic. Need to start running again for an upcoming half marathon at the end of February. 

2010 races: Feb. Half Mary, April Duathlon, June HIM - all posted in my race log

2011 races: Big goals for 2011 are my first full marathon (maybe two) an XTERRA and another HIM

Weightloss: I'd like to drop 5-10 pounds but mostly just eat healthy and focus on better nutrition. I'm a vegetarian so getting enough protein is always a concern. 

2010-12-27 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3263459

Subject: RE: tri808's Spring Pot Luck (Open)

Welcome Holly
2010-12-27 7:00 PM

From what I have learned through personal experience, and advice from others...here is my take on training...especially in regards to the difference between running...and biking and swimming.

Training workload = training volume + training intensity.  In other words, your results are a combination of how much/long your train and how hard you train.

For biking and swimming, which are not weight bearing...it's perfectly fine to use shorter and more intense workouts, and actually recommended to increase your training intensity to stimulate your overall training workload.  We have limited time during the day, so achiving the same workload in a shorter time is always a plus.  Again, this is because swimming and biking is non impact...and your body can recover from hard workouts like these relatively quickly.  Not to say that you only need to do hard one hour rides to prepare for a 112 mile bike leg...but you get my point.

Running on the other hand, is very different.  It is weight bearing, and high impact.  And with that comes risk of injury.  So most of the advice you will hear from me regarding running is to build your volume first and foremost...and limit the intensity.  The reason being is that it allows you to achieve your desired workload with minimal injury risks and minimal recovery time.  Again...you need to build your volume slowly as well too.  Because injury can come from increasing volume to quickly...even if done at low intensities.

There is also a concept I learned from these forums.  People often don't realize that their body is already capable of speed.  If I sprinted all out...I could probably sprint at a 3 minute mile pace for a few seconds.  But I obviously can't sustain that speed for more than 20 yards.  So the problem is not speed...the problem is that I don't have enough endurance.  So really...if you want to improve your race times...you need to improve your endurance.  Running more miles...at an easy pace is a great way to do that.  Running easy allows you to run farther, and won't beat you up so you can run again the next day.

I say all of this because I see so many people get caught up in how fast they are running during training.  When really it's not that important.  Just remember...you are already fast.  It's a tough concept to grasp.

So again...the end result is to get the workload part of the training equation as high as possible.  If you increase too much volume or intensity...it could cause injury or burnout (when you get so tired the next day that you can't work out).  If that's the case...then your workload turns to 0...because you can't work out.  It's a fine balance.

That's just my take on things.  It's not the bible by any means...and other methods do work.  This is just the theory that works for me...and I hear preached most often.

2010-12-27 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3263517

Master
Fort Wayne
^^^^This

I have been on the receiving end of those very specific injuries.  J's opinion is shared 100% by me.

One ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair and a second meniscus removal.  No fun!

2010-12-27 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3263321

Master
Fort Wayne
pistuo - 2010-12-27 5:33 PM
DirkP - 2010-12-27 8:08 Will,
Welcome to the group.  I was checking out you pics on your profile.  Where are they from?  Was this mission work?

The pics are from Malawi, Africa.  Clean water is a huge need there, as well as what the bible calls "living water".  Many people there have never had a chance to experience either one!  I'm involved with groups that do both.  I usually go in the summer (which is winter there) and it's perfect weather!

That's cool!  Our church just collected money to build a well in Africa.  I hope to continue to provide that "simple" type of support to alleviate some of the health problems on that continent.  I have also been to Mexico to build houses for families that were living in squalor.  The houses by US standards are the size of a 2 car garage with no running water or facilities.  That was a a deeply enlightening experience for me and one which we were all able to share some living water as well.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tri808's Spring Pot Luck (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 45