BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2010-12-30 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3268223

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED

aquinn - 2010-12-30 10:20 AM
owl_girl - 2010-12-30 11:28 AM

Question of the Day

Do you follow a workout schedule?

I do not follow a pre-planned workout schedule.  I base my workouts around my running.  Here is what works for me.

• Mon-long swim (morning) and teach Spinning
  • Tues-short run (morning) and hard bike (evening)
  • Wed-easy swim (morning) and easy bike (evening) and teach Spinning
  • Thurs-medium run (morning or evening)
  • Fri-short run (morning) and teach Spinning and medium bike (evening)
  • Sat-long bike (morning)
  • Sun-long run (morning)

I do not plan rest days.  If I miss a workout, I do not try to make it up.  I just continue with the next planned workout.  I take yoga classes and do yoga at home when I can fit it in.  I am not doing any weight training right now.

For my running workouts, I follow the 10% rule.  My long runs will eventually top out at 15 miles.  Currently, I'm at 9-10 miles for the long run.

For my cycling, I'm loosely following Jorge's Winter Cycling Plan.  I highly recommend this plan if you have a large cycling base.

For my swimming, I just get my a$$ to the pool.

What do you recommend if we are trying to build a large cycling base?

A basic rule of thumb when you are trying to build a base across all three tri disciplines is to strive for 50% cycling, 30% running, and 20% swimming.  A good cycling base is developed by being in the saddle at least 4 times per week and pedalling fairly easily (Zone 2) whether it is outside, on your trainer or in Spinning class.  Finding a good Spinning instructor can be a challenge, though.  I am a Spinning instructor.  I have taken some HORRIBLE classes that serve no purpose for cyclists and border on causing injury to all participants.  (That's a whole different post, though!)

2010-12-30 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3266418

User image

Elite
far northern CA

momandmd - 2010-12-29 10:40 AM

Ok, this is weird.  I am now the first post on the last 4 pages!!

I beat you to page 6!

2010-12-30 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3256657

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
I loved spinning class.  Sadly, it's not longer an option for me, as they are usually only offered at times while I am at work. I can hold out hope that a new one will start after the new year, but in a tiny resort town, most people work odd hours (read: not business hours) and so classes are usually DURING business hours. I work 7:30- 4:00 or 5:00 with a 30 min commute on each end. What do you suggest for me and my bike trainer?
2010-12-30 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3268285

User image

Elite
far northern CA

aquinn - 2010-12-30 10:49 AM I loved spinning class.  Sadly, it's not longer an option for me, as they are usually only offered at times while I am at work. I can hold out hope that a new one will start after the new year, but in a tiny resort town, most people work odd hours (read: not business hours) and so classes are usually DURING business hours. I work 7:30- 4:00 or 5:00 with a 30 min commute on each end. What do you suggest for me and my bike trainer?

Bummer about Spinning class.

You and your trainer need to make regular dates!   I have used "Workouts in a Binder for Indoor Cycling" by Dirk Friel and Wes Hobson with success.  The challenge with the book is deciding which workout to do.  You have to know what you want to accomplish during a trainer session.

2010-12-30 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Ah,  the beauty of Amazon. Just ordered it and will have it tomorrow. Then I will start asking you questions on how to use it Gotta start somewhere! It did get great reviews on Amazon.
2010-12-30 2:07 PM

Question of the Day

Do you train with a heart rate monitor or power meter?

I'm kind of late on this....i dont train with either...I assume I should start. I have been having such a busy time at work and with kids I have not had ONE work out this week
I'm getting crazy because of no activity. Luckily this new year is almost here and I can sit down this weekend and work out a solid schedule. Looking forward to spinning tomorrow!!! yeah!!!

2010-12-30 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
No i don't have a heart rate monitor. I dno't know what a power meter is. I don't have a training schedule at present. I have to plan it round my shifts and seeing my son and moving house (2 more weeks). But it is something i will get onto very soon.
J
Smile 
2010-12-30 7:51 PM

Question of the Day

Do you train with a heart rate monitor or power meter?

Nope. I just found the chest strap for my Ironman watch though, so maybe I should start again. I'm really good at running long and slow, but won't push for speed at all without an outside cue -- maybe the monitor could help with that.

Question of the Day

Do you train using a schedule?

I am starting the Hal Higdon HM plan starting Sunday or Monday. This includes strength days, but runs are all by distance, so I'll need to decide for myself if I want to include speed work. The last few days of just running 3 miles has felt harder than usual, so right now I just need to build distance.

2010-12-30 8:15 PM

New user

Riverview
Yes hahaha, my name is Jolene (sorry for that!)... I have started actively training with a childhood friend for the family triathlon I was speaking of (its in August).  I decided, though, that I would try another triathlon beforehand that has its swimming component in a pool which may be a good "1st triathlon" for me.  It is in June.

I'm having issues with figuring out exactly what I should be purchasing (or saving for, to purchase).  I've read a ton of articles, etc., but still am not too sure.  I started the beginner bike program (on this site) on Monday, my butt is killing me hahaha!  We're using the bikes in our gym, the spin bikes... I laugh because the screen tells me to lower my heart rate, my heart rate is not elevated because of exertion, it's elevated because of PAIN!  Hahaha, no one really mentions this in anything I've read so far!  Tomorrow is my "off" day so will plan on hitting the treadmill and pool.  I've been diligent in doing the bike part, but have also been hopping in the pool after every ride so that I can get used to the water environment and also to stretch out... Haven't done anything too ambitious yet... Did a few laps with the pullboard to get my kicking technique right.  I also pulled something in my shoulder the other day (pathetically, it was by lifting my 9 month old in his car seat haha), so I'm taking it easy on my arms right now.

I know I have a while before my first ever tri, but I do want to ensure I'm taking all the right steps to get me there in proper form.  I am hoping to lose another 20lbs or so *not taking into account the muscles I hope to build , I want to lose 20lbs of fat, to be clear ha!

Anyway, enough blabbering for me... talk soon!

Jolene
2010-12-30 8:18 PM

New user

Riverview
Posted and then saw the QUESTION OF THE DAY...

My hubby bought me a HRM for Christmas, so like everything else, am getting used to working with it.  I do wear it, but what help it's been so far is unknown.

I mentioned too, already, that I am using the bike program for beginners I found on this site.  Subsequent to finishing it, we will work on the training for the sprint.
2010-12-30 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3265140

New user

Riverview
owl_girl - 2010-12-28 8:13 PM

Hi Everyone!  I'll respond to all of you individually very soon.  I'd like to do a "Question of the Day".  The question may end up being a discussion over a few days, though.  If any of you have a question that you would like to throw out to the group, then please do so.

Question of the Day

What sport of the three tri disciplines do you enjoy the most and why?  Which one do you enjoy the least and why?  What about the sport that is in between the two?

I enjoy running the most.  It is so easy to throw on my shoes and running clothes and head out the door.  If I need childcare, I just go to the gym and hop on the treadmill.  If the weather is good, I like to push my son in the running stroller and get hard workout.  I enjoy losing myself in my music or the rhythmic sound of my breath and footsteps.  I love seeing the countryside and wildlife along my routes.

I enjoy swimming the least because I simply suck.  I want to enjoy it.  I feel good after I've done my workout.  I just have a hard time getting started.  I also can't stand sharing lanes with the noodle ladies!  They drive me nuts!

I enjoy cycling but not as much as running.  I am a much better cyclist than runner, though.

Hahaha, "noodle ladies" made me chuckle...

I enjoy (so far) the biking.  Where it's really the only thing I've done so far with regards to training.  I ran before finding out I was pregnant last summer for the first time. I'd always hated running with a passion but once I was over the initial hurdles, I LOVED it... I just have to get back to that point now.

I would say at present, I like running the least.  Only because I'm not in shape yet.  I will feel differently once in shape again.

I like swimming, but it's scaring me right now where I've only swam for leisure, never really for sport.  I panic when I know I'm about to start a swimming race so I have seriously considered hiring a swimming instructor to train me and also to get over my fear of the 'start'

Jolene

2010-12-30 8:48 PM

New user

Riverview
Wow, I'm sorry, I must look as though I'm all over the place.  I realized having posted twice, that I'd missed almost 4 pages of posts!  You are all so quick!    I'm caught up now so really do know what's going on for the most part. 

I didn't mention that I live in Canada.  Riverview, New Brunswick (we're just above Maine on the East coast).

I am also a vegan... Initially to lose weight, but now as a lifestyle change.  I feel wonderful and have been doing a lot of research on Brendan Brazier (vegan triathlete)... I really need to eat properly though, not that I eat unhealthily, I just find I don't eat enough especially to sustain me once I'm training harder.  So, only Canadian in this group?  Only vegan? 

Also, if you haven't noticed, I'm kind of an extremist... I do it all out or don't do it at all...  I need to work on balance I think lol! 
2010-12-30 10:44 PM
in reply to: #3269053

User image

Elite
far northern CA

jolene1979 - 2010-12-30 6:48 PM Wow, I'm sorry, I must look as though I'm all over the place.  I realized having posted twice, that I'd missed almost 4 pages of posts!  You are all so quick!    I'm caught up now so really do know what's going on for the most part. 

I didn't mention that I live in Canada.  Riverview, New Brunswick (we're just above Maine on the East coast).

I am also a vegan... Initially to lose weight, but now as a lifestyle change.  I feel wonderful and have been doing a lot of research on Brendan Brazier (vegan triathlete)... I really need to eat properly though, not that I eat unhealthily, I just find I don't eat enough especially to sustain me once I'm training harder.  So, only Canadian in this group?  Only vegan? 

Also, if you haven't noticed, I'm kind of an extremist... I do it all out or don't do it at all...  I need to work on balance I think lol! 

Hi Jolene!  Don't worry about missing a few pages. 

There are a couple other Canadians (I think).  We have a very diverse group!

I was thinking that we could all post favorite, kid friendly recipies over the weekends.  Might be fun to see what we all eat and share with family.  We will talk about nutrition soon.

Thanks for checking in!  Cheers!

2010-12-31 7:10 AM
in reply to: #3268142

User image

Expert

Question of the Day

I don't have a particular schedule- I will probably start the 2x balanced Olympic program when I'm 16-20 weeks out from Cayuga (adapting for the minimussel in the middle), and will do a runner's world program for the 1/2 marathon.  I generally look ahead to the week to see what my schedule is, and what I can fit in.  I think my husband and I are going to start swimming together one night a week (workout and date in one!), so that should help.  I can also go to the hospital gym if I'm working in the ED for the night.  And I'm trying to learn to love working out in the mornings- so far it's been an uncomfortable arranged courtship that's not going well!

2010-12-31 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3268252

User image

Expert

owl_girl - 2010-12-30 1:39 PM

momandmd - 2010-12-29 10:40 AM

Ok, this is weird.  I am now the first post on the last 4 pages!!

I beat you to page 6!

The early bird...

2010-12-31 9:16 AM

Master
Charlotte, NC
My children are still sick.  If they do not get better soon I think I am going to lose my ever loving mind!!!

2010-12-31 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3269394

User image

Elite
far northern CA

momandmd - 2010-12-31 5:10 AM

Question of the Day

I don't have a particular schedule- I will probably start the 2x balanced Olympic program when I'm 16-20 weeks out from Cayuga (adapting for the minimussel in the middle), and will do a runner's world program for the 1/2 marathon.  I generally look ahead to the week to see what my schedule is, and what I can fit in.  I think my husband and I are going to start swimming together one night a week (workout and date in one!), so that should help.  I can also go to the hospital gym if I'm working in the ED for the night.  And I'm trying to learn to love working out in the mornings- so far it's been an uncomfortable arranged courtship that's not going well!

Ha ha ha!!!!  My arranged courtship with Early didn't work out.  My husband gets along quite well with Early.   He can have it!

2010-12-31 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3269559

User image

Elite
far northern CA

tricrazy - 2010-12-31 7:16 AM My children are still sick.  If they do not get better soon I think I am going to lose my ever loving mind!!!

I'm so sorry.

2010-12-31 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Heading out with my 6th grader for some skate skiing and hoping for some p90x yoga with my sister before go tubing with the kids tonight!

Just got my Bike Workouts in a Binder! Can't wait to get on the bike tomorrow!
2010-12-31 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3269620

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
aquinn - 2010-12-31 3:47 PM Heading out with my 6th grader for some skate skiing and hoping for some p90x yoga with my sister before go tubing with the kids tonight!

Its the binder that does it isn't it? I do really love stationery. Its quiet sad really.
Have fun with your kids.

2010-12-31 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
tricrazy - 2010-12-31 3:16 PM My children are still sick.  If they do not get better soon I think I am going to lose my ever loving mind!!!

My best wishes too. I hope they get better soon. Smile

2010-12-31 10:34 AM

User image

Expert

tricrazy - 2010-12-31 10:16 AM My children are still sick.  If they do not get better soon I think I am going to lose my ever loving mind!!!

Hang in there!  Just think of it as building mental strength for triathlon!  I hope they are feeling better soon- sick kids are so incredibly stressful!

2010-12-31 5:29 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Instead of a "Question of the Day" over the weekend, let's exchange recipies that our family and kids enjoy!  So, here it is.....

Weekend Recipe Roundup!!!

Tracy's Pineapple Apricot Chicken

• 10 boneless skinless chicken thighs
  • 3/4 cup pineapple apricot preserves
  • 3/4 cup French dressing
  • 1 (1 oz.) package onion soup mix
  • 1 can pineapple chunks

Mix all ingredients together.  Place in baking dish.  Cover and bake at 350*F for about 1 hour or until chicken is done.  Serve over cooked brown rice.

I usually cook this in a dutch oven outside on our fire pit.  It tastes much better when cooked outside.  I've tried making it with chicken breasts, but it is to dry.  Enjoy!

2010-12-31 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3269620

User image

Elite
far northern CA

aquinn - 2010-12-31 7:47 AM Heading out with my 6th grader for some skate skiing and hoping for some p90x yoga with my sister before go tubing with the kids tonight!

Good for you!  Let us know how it goes!

2011-01-01 9:58 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Happy New Year!!!!

What are your plans for today?  I'm going to head to a college track and meet with other running club peeps for a run.  My husband is sick so he is staying home with baby.  I'm still sick, too.  Not as bad as him.  Cheers!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14