BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-01-11 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3291884

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" OPEN
I've see the setups where the straws come up between the aero bars, which I THINK would be awesome?!?

I have a habit of dropping water bottles so I got a profile designs front mounted one like you describe. I have only used it on the trainer but I do find I drink more because it is right there and I can refill it from a water bottle really easily.

This is the small one that I got, it wasnt too expensive either so it might be worth a try.
http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/hydration/all-hydration/aqualite.html

2011-01-12 12:34 AM
in reply to: #3256799

User image

Austin
I came across this group and noticed a couple of people here are racing in Kemah in April.  If it is not too late, I would like to join...
Name: macm
Story: used to live near the coast, moved to Austin for work and needed something to do that was not fishing or sailing.... So I bought a road bike and entered the Austin triathlon last September.  I did better than planned, but an old college friend beat me by over an hour.  My goal is to improve my olympic time by an hour for the next Austin race and need help sticking to a productive plan for my second race in Kemah.
2011 schedule: April 3 - Kemah Triathlon
September - Austin Triathlon 
why I need a mentor - I tend to become injured quickly and need some help with a dynamic training regimen that can help prevent injury.
2011-01-12 6:13 AM
in reply to: #3293596

User image

Tyler,
DaveL - 2011-01-11 7:25 PM not sure if this is still open but I guess I can always just cut an paste this into another group if you wont take me

Dave

I live in Barrie Ontario Canada which is about 1 hr north of Toronto. I am 36, I am married and have 2 kids. I recently started back at school taking electrical engineering moving from a career in business / sales. I also work part time. My wife is also in school and works part time.

In September I started running as a stress outlet. The idea of triathlon crept in somehow. I lost a few pounds, ran my first 5km race after a couple of weeks of training and bought a very used tri bike. I figured with my competitive swimming back ground I would be okay in the pool but I guess the 20+ years away from swimming took its toll (no kidding!!) I am currently on the 20 week running focused Olyimpic plan (run 3 times, bike 2, swim 2) I also try to fit in a upper and lower body work out when time permits. Snowboarding also fits in there from time to time as well. Overall I swim like a runner, run like a swimmer but my biking is improving (I think?!)

Goals;

right now I am looking at some sprint distances and an Olympic. I would really like to do the Muskoka 70.3 but that might be a goal for next year. Im 5'8 about 175lbs so I could loose a few but wouldnt really say that loosing weight is a huge goal.

What I am looking for in the group.

Motivation? I think I am doing okay but dont really have anything to measure against so I am a little in the dark

www.facebook.com/dlarocque121

Hey Dave, welcome to our group. Group is still open and I am only taking 1 more now. It sounds like you have a lot on yoru plate. Your story is similar to the only guy I am coaching now. Couple of years ago he wanted to run a 5k in april, then the that same summer he did his first tri and hasn't stopped since. Let me know if you have any questions.
2011-01-12 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3293896

User image

Tyler,
macm - 2011-01-12 12:34 AM I came across this group and noticed a couple of people here are racing in Kemah in April.  If it is not too late, I would like to join...
Story: used to live near the coast, moved to Austin for work and needed something to do that was not fishing or sailing.... So I bought a road bike and entered the Austin triathlon last September.  I did better than planned, but an old college friend beat me by over an hour.  My goal is to improve my olympic time by an hour for the next Austin race and need help sticking to a productive plan for my second race in Kemah.
why I need a mentor - I tend to become injured quickly and need some help with a dynamic training regimen that can help prevent injury.

Hello MACM, first of all how do you pronounce your name? Gateway to the Bay in Kemah, is an awesome triathlon. I did it last year, didn't fair so great but still had fun out there. Why do you become injured so quickly? I would like more back ground on you. How old you are? What you do for work? What is your "average" training week like. Let me know if you have any questions!!!
2011-01-12 6:24 AM

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED

Hello Group, we are officially closed now. I capped it off around 15. Orginally I wanted less than 10 but the guy Ron said take 10-15 as some of you will be less than communicative in a couple of weeks. I hope you all prove me wrong. I am here to assist you with your triathlon needs and goals with questions you may have and can point you in the right direction. It's officially COLD here in Texas it was 23 degrees and freakin' windy on my way to work. I ran outside in some very light snow and a lot of wind yesterday which made my run slower than average, but the work rate was still there. How many if you would run outside or stick to the treadmill? What are your concerns with triathlon?

2011-01-12 6:43 AM

User image

Tyler,
P.S. If your not filling your training log, you better start or you may not like me.

2011-01-12 7:01 AM
in reply to: #3293972

User image

Dallas, TX
triritter - 2011-01-12 6:24 AM

How many if you would run outside or stick to the treadmill? 

Treadmill for me, I am a baby about the cold! 
2011-01-12 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

It's officially COLD here in Texas it was 23 degrees and freakin' windy on my way to work. I ran outside in some very light snow and a lot of wind yesterday which made my run slower than average, but the work rate was still there. How many if you would run outside or stick to the treadmill? What are your concerns with triathlon?

Brr!  Nice job on running..that's pretty cold even for places like Chicago that are supposed to get gold in the winter.  My personal cutoff is 18 degrees or so, below that it's just self abuse.  I only run outside unless it's super short and I'm already at the gym.  

My BIG concern for you is that folks in Texas are not used to driving in the snow, and as a pedestrian you aren't used to them needing more time to stop.  I am so terrified of hitting someone who steps out in the crosswalk expecting me to avoid them like I would be able to on dry pavement.  So that's a roundabout way of saying be careful.  I actually like cold, snowy running...it forces me to slow down, and after the initial cold shock, feels really good.  I have learned to wear far less than I thought I needed at first 'cause I was overheating myself by running too bundled up.

My concerns with triathlon:  good one...not many really, but as I posted before, I am trying to figure out nutrition for longer races.  I also am afraid of getting injured...I like to race and would be devastated if  had to miss a race or races.  I also am desperately seeking a tri top that matches my bike...that's probably my biggest concern.  

2011-01-12 7:20 AM
in reply to: #3293754

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
DaveL - 2011-01-11 9:17 PM
I've see the setups where the straws come up between the aero bars, which I THINK would be awesome?!?

I have a habit of dropping water bottles so I got a profile designs front mounted one like you describe. I have only used it on the trainer but I do find I drink more because it is right there and I can refill it from a water bottle really easily.

This is the small one that I got, it wasnt too expensive either so it might be worth a try.
http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/hydration/all-hydration/aqualite.html

Oooh, thanks Dave, that looks nice.  And I SO didn't need to see that website!  And now it occurs to me since I am the house bike mechanic I have to figure out something for my husband's roadie too...we are going to put clip ons on the bike for him and I suppose we need to figure out how he's gonna hydrate too.  I think this calls for a trip to the tri' shop!  When you guys see an uptick in the economy in February, you can thank me....haha 
2011-01-12 8:05 AM

User image

Veteran

Hello Group, we are officially closed now. I capped it off around 15. Orginally I wanted less than 10 but the guy Ron said take 10-15 as some of you will be less than communicative in a couple of weeks. I hope you all prove me wrong. I am here to assist you with your triathlon needs and goals with questions you may have and can point you in the right direction. It's officially COLD here in Texas it was 23 degrees and freakin' windy on my way to work. I ran outside in some very light snow and a lot of wind yesterday which made my run slower than average, but the work rate was still there. How many if you would run outside or stick to the treadmill? What are your concerns with triathlon?

It takes a lot to keep me from running outside...plus I don't have a treadmill and I am not going to pay the gym to use theirs.  The only time I really don't like to run outside is if it is raining before I start my run...however, if I am already running and then it starts it does not bother me as much.
2011-01-12 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
So far the coldest I've gone out in is 13° and it wasn't bad until the return home with the frigid wind blasting me in the face.  I've never done much outdoor exercise in the winter because the cold triggers my asthma.  Last year I used the treadmill at the gym but we moved over the summer so now it's a 20 minute drive to the gym vs the 5 it used to take and I'm lazy.  I'm saving my pennies to buy a treadmill for home and then I'll drop my gym membership at get one at the park district pool which is much closer.

My general concerns with triathlon are injuries.  Last summer I was battling ITBS and then I injured my Achilles in the fall.  On the plus side I know exactly how I hurt both but as I've since tweaked the Achilles again it makes me a little nervous going into this season.

Since I'm still riding a roadie and likely won't get a tri bike until 2012 I'm not too concerned about getting my top to match my bike.  Actually, I'm just hoping that this will be the year that my top matches my shorts.  A girl can dream.

2011-01-12 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
I don't mind running in the cold, but I don't like running on slippery roads and sidewalks.  We've been hammered with lake effect snow this winter and the roads are rarely in good shape to run on so I'm relegated to the treadmill.  We have a day or two where the roads clear up and then get hit again with snow.  I've had ITB troubles and slipping isn't something I want to deal with and risk an injury.

So it's the treadmill and bike trainer for me - probably until April.
2011-01-12 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I run outside on Sundays for my longer run with a group from a running store. The other runs depend on the weather and timing. I have access to a short indoor track so I do my indoor runs on that. I cant get used to the treadmill, I weave and have trouble with maintaining a steady pace.

For biking I am 100% indoor untill the snow goes away, on my last outdoor ride it started to snow and I damn near froze my toes. On the weekend I set up my little training area in my furnace room. It includes a blackburn trainer, a projector hooked up to my laptop to watch video's - 52 inch screen. I also added a long tube to the spout on a camping water container so I can refill my water bottle on the fly. 2 fans help with cooling. I am really happy with the set up so far and look forward to the sessions.
2011-01-12 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3294424

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
DaveL - 2011-01-12 9:36 AM  
On the weekend I set up my little training area in my furnace room. It includes a blackburn trainer, a projector hooked up to my laptop to watch video's - 52 inch screen. I also added a long tube to the spout on a camping water container so I can refill my water bottle on the fly. 2 fans help with cooling. I am really happy with the set up so far and look forward to the sessions.

LMAO, will you PLEASE post pix?  I am thinking about a similar setup in my mud room... 
2011-01-12 10:04 AM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
I wish it was 23 degrees here! It is -20 celsius here (-4 farenheit)!
2011-01-12 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3294529

User image

Calgary, Alberta
I still do most of my runs outside but I dont like to run outside colder than -10 Celsius.  I have a hard time running on treadmills and I feel like Im going to go crazy after running for more than 20 minutes.

2011-01-12 10:11 AM

Extreme Veteran
I enjoy running outside...haven't been on a  treadmill in over 2 years and have discovered I've become a better runner by ditching the treadmill and the iPod. It would take a lot to keep me from doing a run outside.

Last year during my 70.3 training, a lot of runs were early morning sub-freezing temperatures. I can stay warm with a pair of Under Armour tights and a mock turtleneck. If it's colder than 38, I'll add a running jacket and balaclava. About 5 minutes into the run I don't even notice the cold.

Now biking is a different story. I rarely ride if it's colder than 55...I can never seem to warm up enough no matter how many layers I have on. Sadly, my first training ride of the season was Monday and I was relegated to the trainer. Frown
2011-01-12 10:59 AM

User image

Dallas, TX
Everyone is tougher than I am weather wise!  I live in Texas for a reason!

My biggest concern about triathlon is actually three things:

1. injury - I have a history of getting hurt when running.  I have always had calf/shin issues.  In the past year I have had bad stress fractures (almost had to have surgery), achilles tendonitis and lots of calf/shin problems.  I am not the best about warm-up or stretching and tend to ignore issues until I can't walk.  I am getting better about those things, but still have problems.
2. swimming 0 I suck.  I swam as a kid and was on swim team in hs, but apparently I forgot everything I learned.  I am taking swim lessons - I've had about 8 so far, and I am not really getting much faster.  I have a lot more endurance, but not speed.
3. time to train - I travel for work a lot.  Typically I am gone 3-4 days a week.   That makes it hard to stick to a plan.  Biking is the hardest, swimming can be a problem.  The hotel usually has a treadmill, so I can always run.
2011-01-12 11:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
I have my trainer set up in our sun room.  For some reason the furnace never manages to push much heat in there while the AC unit can grown icicles in August in the same room which makes it perfect for working out.  Last night I taped all the leftover bubble wrap from our move on the walls to reduce the echo so I can actually hear the tv while riding.  Now I just need to get that treadmill and the room will be complete.

Edited by thndrcloud 2011-01-12 11:48 AM
2011-01-12 1:15 PM

User image

Houston, Texas
Treadmill = Dreadmill to me.    

2011-01-12 2:04 PM
in reply to: #3294478

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
quincyf - 2011-01-12 9:48 AM
DaveL - 2011-01-12 9:36 AM  
On the weekend I set up my little training area in my furnace room. I

LMAO, will you PLEASE post pix?  I am thinking about a similar setup in my mud room... 

In the lighted picture you can see the water container with a black hose on the right along with my netbook. I can reach both so I can refill my water or change to a different video while biking. For sound I use headphones that seal well and have a volume control on them. There is a pull string on the left so I can turn the light on or off. I normally bike with it off so the screen is better. I built a bracket to hold the projector off of the ceiling. The space is a little small but its all that I need and it was otherwise wasted space plus I dont care if it drip sweat onto the floor or spill water.

Edited by DaveL 2011-01-12 2:06 PM

2011-01-12 3:12 PM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
I do not mind running in the cold, but I have yet to ride in it.  I need to just suck it up and get out there.  I can not push more than 90 min on the trainer before I go into complete mental shutdown. 

I use http://www.aerohammock.com for races along with a cage on the down tube.  During training I use a cheap dual bottle holder behind the seat along with an adapter that attaches to the head tube and holds a bottle.  I rarely have to worry about water stops, and I weigh lots less on race day
2011-01-12 8:09 PM
in reply to: #3293990

User image

Regular
triritter - 2011-01-12 7:43 AM P.S. If your not filling your training log, you better start or you may not like me.

Thumbs up to this... stay on us!
2011-01-12 8:12 PM
in reply to: #3295142

User image

Regular
mattpatt - 2011-01-12 2:15 PM Treadmill = Dreadmill to me.    

I'm from FL so there is never a reason for a treadmill. Sorry I can't relate to those of you in the cold weather but it makes me appreciate what I have down here.
2011-01-12 10:49 PM
in reply to: #3293967

User image

Austin
triritter - 2011-01-12 6:16 AM
macm - 2011-01-12 12:34 AM I came across this group and noticed a couple of people here are racing in Kemah in April.  If it is not too late, I would like to join...

Hello MACM, first of all how do you pronounce your name? :) Gateway to the Bay in Kemah, is an awesome triathlon. I did it last year, didn't fair so great but still had fun out there. Why do you become injured so quickly? I would like more back ground on you. How old you are? What you do for work? What is your "average" training week like. Let me know if you have any questions!!!

It's Mike, I'm 29 and work in business management for a power company.  I haven't developed an average training week yet - it varies from one day of running to a mix of run/bike/swim all week.  My first problems were shin splints, but now it's the outside of my left knee.  Every bike ride seems to expose the pain during each pedal stroke; it seems to be ITBS, but shows up after a long layoff and little exercise.  This also happened last year and really slowed me down.  I'm wondering if lots of weight training would help prevent these issues?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28