BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Curious - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2011-01-18 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3301038

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri Curious - OPEN
I would love a list of beginner run intervals! 

I am a member at the local Y so I have access to lots of things.  Do you have any tips on weight training at home so I can get into some sort of shape before I have to work out in public?  Just trying to protect the other gym members

Soccer tourney was great!  Now she has started field hockey...more exercise for me.

2011-01-18 11:06 PM
in reply to: #3307680

Veteran
Yay...It worked!  Thanks!
2011-01-19 5:55 AM
in reply to: #3256872

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

Happy Wednesday everyone! it looks like I've missed some action, which is great! I'm glad to see the new faces in our thread and the existing faces chatting. Little Big Planet 2 was released yesterday so I wasn't on the computer at all. I had a wonderful weekend Tuesday with my husband who took the day off to pick up the game when the store opened and play it most of the day with me. My friend had an early work day so he came by too! I went and visited my pool for a little while in the evening, so I got a little training in!

2011-01-19 5:55 AM
in reply to: #3304185

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
D001 - 2011-01-17 11:56 AM This was posted on the Ghoulies thread, in the Challenge forum. It's for all you Canadians. (Or Canadian-wannabes.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWQf13B8epw&feature=channelI thought it was cute. Of course, I'll be singing it for at least a week.

That's a pretty catchy song! We all know it's true...
2011-01-19 6:00 AM
in reply to: #3305434

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
jherisse - 2011-01-17 10:01 PM

Hi. I am EXTREMELY new to the game and am wondering if I can still join (late) your group? I have found myself wanting to join a group for a couple of weeks, but joining = committing, which is something I have a hard time doing when it comes to exercise! Here's a little about me:

Name: Jessie

Story: I am turning 30 this year. While I'm not afraid of the age 30, I am afraid of how I am feeling physically entering my 30's! Over the years I have gone through periods of "gyming it" and "couching it". I am in a MAJOR period of loving the couch!! I think that my heart is in the right place with wanting to say healthy, but my body doesn't like to listen! I've decided this year that I am going to do something for myself before I am 30 and let it be a new venture for me to continue vs. just something to do one time! I am really excited about the "family" I have seen in the world of tri's and really want to be a part of it.

I am a pretty good swimmer, but haven't done anything worthwhile - backyard pool swimming. Running and I are enemies and I can bike very well.

I am not married, but live happily with my boyfriend and our two cats (which are our babies). I am trying to get him to join me in the tri-world this year, but maybe once I get the ball rolling he will join in?! 

Why I'd like to join this group: I enjoy where everyone is coming from and I think I can relate to you and those that have already joined.

Races: none (yikes)! I have never done a race before, but am hoping to start w/ a 5K or two this spring and complete a sprint in the summer/early fall.

Current training: nothing (double yikes)!! I have access to a pool starting in Feb and a treadmill, but the biking is tough right now because there is a TON of snow on the streets - so that will be a challenge for me.

Weight loss:  Weight is something I can't focus on because somehow, I generally weigh the same, but my body shape drastically changes. Maybe my scale just lies to me!

What will make me a good mentee: I am a blank slate who needs support and is really willing to learn - a lot! I am excited to be here and my posting is proof of taking the first step!! Smile

Welcome to the group Jessie! Don't be afraid of getting back off the couch, just take small steps. A little increase in time or distance each week and you'll have a full training schedule in no time. Try not to think of races as "races", but as events because that word is less intimidating.

How would you like to get started on this journey? I think focusing on biking since you're already good at it is a place to start. For the running I recommend walk/run intervals to get you going.
2011-01-19 6:03 AM
in reply to: #3305539

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
jeaniechou - 2011-01-17 11:03 PM HI,

I would like to join your group. I am turning 38 in a few weeks and I had a goal of doing a triathlon in my 30s. In the blink of an eye, my time is running out. I moved to the east coast last year and have not had a consistent exercise or healthy living routine. I used to belong to a gym but have not found one here yet.

I want to some accountability, tips, encouragement, etc. I have to start somewhere. I'm happy with completing a duathlon or something this year.

Looking forward to a brand new , healthier 2011.

Welcome Jeanie! You're time isn't running out, there's plenty of opportunity in your future to train and compete! I read a wonderful story called "life starts at 60" where a 60 year old woman started training and competing in events (running I think) when she was 60 and there was a picture of her smiling with a neck full of medals!

Come to beginner Triathlete regularly and visit us here. We can help get you going!

2011-01-19 6:06 AM
in reply to: #3305559

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
kkvane - 2011-01-17 11:31 PM Hi! Is this group still open? Your preference for newbies caught my eye, as that definitely describes me.

Name: Karla

Story: I am a total newbie. I've never been a runner and I can only marginally swim. I do ride my bike some, however, doing rides of 7-12 miles with some 20-25 milers mixed in. Oh, and I'm 51 years old. My daughter thought it would be good for us to do a triathlon this year, so here I am. (I am a Y member, doing AMT, elliptical, weight machines, Zumba - so not a total couch potato). Crazy!

Family Status: I'm married (25 years) with two daughters, 23 and 19. Nest is pretty much empty except for me, husband, and one cute mutt.

Why I'd Like to Join This Group: I have no idea what I'm doing and can use all the support, encouragement, and commiseration I can get. ;-)

2011 Races: 5K end of April and Sprint tri beginning of September.

Current Training: Working on a 6- week couch-to-5K program to start. In week 2 - so far, so good. Dabbling in pool once a week.

Weight Loss: I have plenty to lose - at least 25 pounds. Have lost and gained back a few times over the years. Menopausal hormones (or lack thereof) haven't been helping. I'm currently trying to Eat Clean.

What Will Make Me a Good Mentee: I am very open to suggestions and support, and willing to help and listen to others. Help meeeeee!! ;-)

Welcome Karla! It's great that you're getting into this with your daughter. Training partners are very helpful in training and racing to maintain motivation and commit to training. I don't personally have a partner but I'm very aware of the times it would be nice to have one! Is she a member of beginner triathlete as well? If she has the time to take part in online discussion you should invite her to our group.
2011-01-19 6:11 AM
in reply to: #3306873

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
kwynnc - 2011-01-18 3:01 PM Is the group still open? I'd like to join as well. Name: kwynnc - Kerry Story: About 3 years ago, a girlfriend called me up and asked if I wanted to do a sprint tri with her. Basically, we signed up on a lark, did no training, I had no idea how to swim, and it went pretty much how you would expect. I freaked on the swim, tried to get out but a volunteer gave me a noodle and swam beside me the entire way. If she hadn't done that, I would probably have never set foot in the water again, much less done another tri. So, finished the bike and the run (run/walk) and was hooked. But wanted to learn how to swim properly before attempting another tri. Fast forward 3 years, my kids are a little older which gives me some free time to complete my goals. Family Status: Married, stay at home mom to 2 boys (ages 5 and almost 9). Living in Montana - originally from Canada and have lived in Vegas, Portland, Washington D.C., Texas, Ohio, Alaska, and Washington State (husband was air force). My youngest just started preschool this year, which frees up the time for me to get to the pool consistently. Races: Signed up for Irongirl Vegas the end of April, doing the sprint distance. My 2 best friends in the world (the one who talked me into it in the first place and one who does tris frequently) and I are meeting there. The big draw was the fact that it's at a resort so we can roll out of bed, walk to the transition area, and off we go. Current training: Started swimming lessons in September. I began as a complete noob, afraid to put my head into the water. I swim 2-4 times a week, depending on my schedule, including my weekly lesson. Completed 150 yds without stopping for the first time today. Bike is on the trainer in the living room. Running is on hold because of plantar fasciitis right now, but will start medicating and stretching and begin a run/walk program. Weightloss:I have a significant amount of weight to lose. I've struggled with weight issues since after university, was diagnosed as hypothyroid before getting pregnant with my first child. What will make me a good mentee: I don't spend much time on BT but am looking forward to being on here more often. I need to find my way around the site a little better. I'm motivated to get through this tri, feeling like I have something to prove after the last one. I love to read other people's stories and certainly understand the range of emotions that people are going through.

Welcome to the group Kerry! Don't worry too much about your current swimming skill. Most triathlete's come from running and cycling backgrounds (or no background of the three sports) and struggle with the swim component. How are you finding the swimming lessons? I recommend that you check out the article section of the website and veiw the beginner swimming series. I am pretty sure that this set of articles is free to access.

Check out this link for help with the plantar fascitis:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/stretching-series/tennis-ball-mobilization-foot/

Edited by mbasta 2011-01-19 6:12 AM
2011-01-19 6:18 AM
in reply to: #3307659

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
northernorchid - 2011-01-18 9:10 PM
D001 - 2011-01-17 11:56 AM This was posted on the Ghoulies thread, in the Challenge forum. It's for all you Canadians. (Or Canadian-wannabes.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWQf13B8epw&feature=channelI thought it was cute. Of course, I'll be singing it for at least a week.

Haha I love this video! We were going to make a spoof of it for my university but didn't get around to it.

Yes, it's a tad chilly here, and when it's not, it's freezing rain and far too slippery to run outside.

I had to miss a "run" day today, but I figure yesterday's spin class and today's squash game and hoop yoga should certainly be an equivalent!

I have a mental issue with treadmills...they freak me out.

Any helpful suggestions for running on a treadmill or alternative workouts?

Thanks!

Cate

Dee asked what it is about treadmills you don't like, I think we should explore this.

2011-01-19 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3307895

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Threejs - 2011-01-18 11:56 PM I would love a list of beginner run intervals! 

I am a member at the local Y so I have access to lots of things.  Do you have any tips on weight training at home so I can get into some sort of shape before I have to work out in public?  Just trying to protect the other gym members

Soccer tourney was great!  Now she has started field hockey...more exercise for me.

Here's a running interval program to get you started (do 3x per week with rest days in between):

Week 1 - W2/R1 x 7
Week 2 - W1/R1 x 10
Week 3 - W1/R2 x 7
Week 4 - W1/R3 x 5
Week 5 - W1/R4 x 4
Week 6 - W1/R5 x 3
Week 7 - W1/R6 x 3
Week 8 - W1/R8 x 2
Week 9 - W1/R10 x 2
Week 10 - W1/R10 x 2

The above mentioned program was inspired by a training program in the book "Running" by John Stanton (2006 edition). I recommend the book for anyone looking for information about running. He has many detailed programs from beginner to marathon along with sections on diet, strength, pregnancy, injury, winter, summer...

Some of my favorite moves for bodyweight strength training at home: calf raises, squats, lunges, crunches, supine back extensions, and push ups. If you like this idea, do 1 set (1 of each exercise) and write down how many you can do before you need to stop. Let me know the number and I will help you make modifications/progressions as needed. if you don't know what some of these are please let me know!
2011-01-19 6:37 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Since we are up to 14 members I am going to close the door in order to keep our thread managable, and so that we can move forward and get to know eachother better! Karla, your daughter can still join if she is interested. If anyone else has friends/family who are starting triathlon and are interested please let me know.

Edited by mbasta 2011-01-19 6:38 AM

2011-01-19 11:44 AM

Regular
Subject: RE: Tri Curious - CLOSED
Melissa, thanks for the welcome and the link for the PF stuff. I definitely need to start working on that consistently.

I am loving the swimming lessons. I'm doing private lessons right now and couldn't be happier. I've had a couple of panicky sessions at the pool and we are able to stop, discuss what's going on, and fix it immediately. Best money I've ever spent. My husband is thinking about doing lessons now as well. She's also really great about focusing on the open water swim, giving me some options if (when) I panic during the race. I highly recommend it. I'll be doing some swimming at the pool in my wetsuit in March, just to get used to the buoyancy - so the private thing is great for being so highly individualized.

Unfortunately, my little guy ran a fever yesterday so no lesson today. I may try to get to the pool later if my husband gets home at a decent time.

Otherwise, need to get on the bike tonight. Anyone have good motivation tips? I just find that time goes by so slowly. I want to do it in the evening after the boys go to bed, but honestly, once they're down, I'm exhausted. I've only been on twice since we moved it into the living room, and that 18 miles isn't going to bike itself.
2011-01-19 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3298800

Regular
rachelann31 - 2011-01-14 1:59 AM

This past year I moved to Alaska and there arent exactly a ton of tris up here. The one I will be competeing in is in August and I know it will take me that long to build up my motivation and train. 

Where are you living in Alaska? We moved down to the lower 48 from Anchorage and actually miss a lot of things about Alaska. I don't miss having to fly everywhere or the long winters, but I thought Anchorage was a great city. I'm hoping to do the Gold Nugget tri at some point. I wanted to do it when we lived there but the swimming was still an issue.

I was also wondering if anyone has done an irongirl tri before? My first tri was a danskin and I really liked the support systems in place. Just wondering what to expect with irongirl.
2011-01-19 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3308062

User image

Champion
Taser-World
mbasta - 2011-01-19 7:34 AM

Here's a running interval program to get you started (do 3x per week with rest days in between):

Week 1 - W2/R1 x 7

Um. When I started wogging, I couldn't run for 1 minute. The asthma would flare up, and that would be the end of that.

So my repeats were walk for 1-to-2 min, wog for 30 seconds and repeat..... (And there were days when I was only able to wog for 15 seconds before wheezing, so I did that.)

Even now, I can't run for 3 minutes.

I found a good interval for me is to walk 45 seconds, then wog 45 seconds. I can keep that up for quite awhile.

OK, so I'll never win a race. LOL

2011-01-19 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3308939

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kwynnc - 2011-01-19 12:44 PM

Otherwise, need to get on the bike tonight. Anyone have good motivation tips? I just find that time goes by so slowly. I want to do it in the evening after the boys go to bed, but honestly, once they're down, I'm exhausted. I've only been on twice since we moved it into the living room, and that 18 miles isn't going to bike itself.

I hear you. I feel like this ^^^ a whole lot!

Is there a TV program that you like? I try to find something that I want to watch, and I watch it while I'm on the bike.

2011-01-19 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3308046

User image

Champion
Taser-World
mbasta - 2011-01-19 7:11 AM

Welcome to the group Kerry! Don't worry too much about your current swimming skill. Most triathlete's come from running and cycling backgrounds (or no background of the three sports) and struggle with the swim component. How are you finding the swimming lessons? I recommend that you check out the article section of the website and veiw the beginner swimming series. I am pretty sure that this set of articles is free to access.

Check out this link for help with the plantar fascitis:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/stretching-series/tennis-ball-mobilization-foot/

Hm. I found BT when I was searching for swim technique info. I have way more background with swimming than with running (wogging) or biking.

Actually, I wish they had Tri's that were 99% swimming!

As for plantar fascitis, I've have WAY more experience with it than I ever wanted! I had to stop running (wogging) for a year because of it. Apparently, there can be a lot of different causes, which means that a treatment that helps one person may not help another person. (I'm sure Melissa can give more info about this....)

2011-01-19 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3308050

User image

New user

mbasta - 2011-01-19 7:18 AM
northernorchid - 2011-01-18 9:10 PM

Haha I love this video! We were going to make a spoof of it for my university but didn't get around to it.

Yes, it's a tad chilly here, and when it's not, it's freezing rain and far too slippery to run outside.

I had to miss a "run" day today, but I figure yesterday's spin class and today's squash game and hoop yoga should certainly be an equivalent!

I have a mental issue with treadmills...they freak me out.

Any helpful suggestions for running on a treadmill or alternative workouts?

Thanks!

Cate

Dee asked what it is about treadmills you don't like, I think we should explore this.

I think it's just remaining fear of my parent's treadmill, which is situated in a corner between two walls and a couch. It's also kind of shaky?

There are many heavy-duty ones at the gym, but I still feel uncomfortable on them, mostly that I'll bail!

Maybe I'll give it a try.

Does anyone else have treadmill issues?

2011-01-19 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3309900

User image

North Carolina
I've never heard of wogging before - it describes what I'm doing perfectly - I love it! It also did my heart good to see you still do the 1/1 or 45/45 intervals. I had been wondering if I could do the race in walk/run intervals if I needed to, and you have answered that. I'm still gonna aim high, but it takes some of the pressure off! ::::whew:::: ;-)
2011-01-19 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3309993

User image

North Carolina
OK. The last post was supposed to be a reply to Dee. Maybe I hit the wrong button. ??
2011-01-19 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3308040

User image

North Carolina
Thanks for the welcome! I'll certainly pass this on to my daughter - thanks for suggesting that.
2011-01-19 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3309993

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kkvane - 2011-01-19 8:54 PM

I've never heard of wogging before - it describes what I'm doing perfectly - I love it! It also did my heart good to see you still do the 1/1 or 45/45 intervals. I had been wondering if I could do the race in walk/run intervals if I needed to, and you have answered that. I'm still gonna aim high, but it takes some of the pressure off! ::::whew:::: ;-)

Yup. I wog.

And yes, I still do walk/wog intervals during races. Lots of people do.

Before I did my first 5K, I called the race director to ask if it was OK if I walked the whole thing.

If you're concerned about the time limit, you could ask the race director before you sign up. Some races allow extra time for walkers to finish the route.

2011-01-19 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3309995

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kkvane - 2011-01-19 8:56 PM

OK. The last post was supposed to be a reply to Dee. Maybe I hit the wrong button. ??

It showed up on the mentor thread. I saw it.

I see *everything.* (Well, at least I do in the Challenge forum. Maybe not so much elsewhere on BT. LOL)

2011-01-20 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
Good morning team!

It's bright and not too early here in Ontario. I'm about to do a spin workout so that I can get up to speed and hopefully begin my training program next week. the good news is that i haven't been coughing, the bad is that I haven't been working out in 3 weeks and it's really hard to get back into motion!

Here is a great article for new runners:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Train-for-Your-First-5K.htm?PageMode=Print
2011-01-20 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3308939

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
kwynnc - 2011-01-19 12:44 PM Melissa, thanks for the welcome and the link for the PF stuff. I definitely need to start working on that consistently. I am loving the swimming lessons. I'm doing private lessons right now and couldn't be happier. I've had a couple of panicky sessions at the pool and we are able to stop, discuss what's going on, and fix it immediately. Best money I've ever spent. My husband is thinking about doing lessons now as well. She's also really great about focusing on the open water swim, giving me some options if (when) I panic during the race. I highly recommend it. I'll be doing some swimming at the pool in my wetsuit in March, just to get used to the buoyancy - so the private thing is great for being so highly individualized. Unfortunately, my little guy ran a fever yesterday so no lesson today. I may try to get to the pool later if my husband gets home at a decent time. Otherwise, need to get on the bike tonight. Anyone have good motivation tips? I just find that time goes by so slowly. I want to do it in the evening after the boys go to bed, but honestly, once they're down, I'm exhausted. I've only been on twice since we moved it into the living room, and that 18 miles isn't going to bike itself.

Panick during the swim portion isn't uncommon. The important thing is to remember to have fun. Second, if it's a mass start (it usally is) stay at the back of the pack and let the fast/experienced triathlete's get going first. This way you avoid most of the water disorder and stay calmer.

Motivation on the bike indoors can be a challenge. I deal with it too! Do it while watching tv, listening to music, while with a friend/family member, while reading if there's a place to put the book. Any other suggestions??
2011-01-20 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3309900

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
D001 - 2011-01-19 7:54 PM
mbasta - 2011-01-19 7:34 AM Here's a running interval program to get you started (do 3x per week with rest days in between):

Week 1 - W2/R1 x 7
Um. When I started wogging, I couldn't run for 1 minute. The asthma would flare up, and that would be the end of that. So my repeats were walk for 1-to-2 min, wog for 30 seconds and repeat..... (And there were days when I was only able to wog for 15 seconds before wheezing, so I did that.) Even now, I can't run for 3 minutes. I found a good interval for me is to walk 45 seconds, then wog 45 seconds. I can keep that up for quite awhile. OK, so I'll never win a race. LOL

What if you run slower? I mean slooow. I don't have any experience working with asthma... Wogging is fine if that's what works for you. How do you find your asthma during bikes and swims?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Curious - closed Rss Feed  

of 26