of 17

2011-01-28 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3258876

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED
Good Morning,
Sorry I have been MIA this week,it has been crazy but I have been training. Still trying to input my workouts, hopefully by Sunday I will have them all in for this week! Haha. I have been swimming at the Y and recently met a lady doing her 1st Tri (St. Anthony's here in FL) and she is training with Team In Training for Lymphoma. She is from New York and flew down so she could train in warmer weather. Anyway she graciously emailed me her phase one training plan for the Tri so I will start that Monday and if anyone wants it let me know. I am still debating on whether or not to get a swim coach, the only issue really is the money. The Y wants $140 for 8-sessions 45 minutes each. Any feedback on this would be great. Taking the road bike my friend is loaning me in today to get a tune-up and make sure it fits me and my cycling shoes well. Saturday I have the Warrior-Dash mudrun and then on Sunday I am going for a ride, but it will be on my MTB with my 2 year old on back. I guess any riding is good! Today I am taking it easy just going to the gym to tackle some abs, my goal is a 6-pack by summer! Haha! Anyway, I hope everyone has an eventful and safe weekend! Courtney

2011-01-28 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Courtney, good to hear from you. The weeks can go by really quickly. The lessons at the Y for that price is fine. Hopefully you get to pick who you receive your lesson from. Now is a good time to do it, you still will have time to work on those things you've been instructed on before your event.

A girl at my work is doing the warrior dash this weekend as well. I assume it's the one in Lake Wales, have fun and be careful.

2011-01-29 9:16 PM

Hey gang.  I have a question for the training experts in the group.  Most of my training has been heart rate specific and I did the testing earlier this year to establish HR max for the bike and run.  All of my zones are based on those max heart rates.  Today, I did a hill run and achieved a new HR max (181, up from 179) -- yep, it was a fun run!  Should I use this new HR max and change my HR brackets?  That seems to make sense to me, but I wanted to get some other opinions.  Of course, 2 bpm is not a big deal so it may not matter.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike

2011-01-31 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3328965

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

mfrench3047 - 2011-01-29 10:16 PM Hey gang.  I have a question for the training experts in the group.  Most of my training has been heart rate specific and I did the testing earlier this year to establish HR max for the bike and run.  All of my zones are based on those max heart rates.  Today, I did a hill run and achieved a new HR max (181, up from 179) -- yep, it was a fun run!  Should I use this new HR max and change my HR brackets?  That seems to make sense to me, but I wanted to get some other opinions.  Of course, 2 bpm is not a big deal so it may not matter.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike

Hello to everyone, what a great weekend of weather we finally had here in Sunny Florida. I hope the weather was well in your area for our non-floridians.                                                                                                                                         Mike great question, I don't personally use HR much for training or racing. I have a few times, and for me it is very effective for pacing the bike. On the run I find myself looking at my watch to much and not focused on what I should be doing is running. There are a lot of variables that can cause a HR max to change on a given day. So i don't think I would be to concerned with it on a one day basis. Now if in your training you begin to see this is normal then an adjustment is probably the thing to do. Hopefully someone else uses HR and can give some more insight. I tend to go more by feel, but in my use of the HR monitor at times I guess it gives me a sense of what things feel like with a given effort.

Courtney race report from the Warrior Dash, the local paper had an article on the event yesterday. Looks like an interesting event.

Ok I went to download a picture of the new ride, discovered the usb cable is missing. So no picture for now until I can find the cable or get a new one.

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-01-31 6:41 AM
2011-01-31 6:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Good Morning,
Had such a BLAST at the Warrior Dash! Finished in 32:18. My miles range from 9:30-10:00 minutes so I know I am getting better with running if I did a 10:00 minute mile with obstacles. So I took my husband's friends' bike to the bike shop and it just was not going to work. It was a hybrid bike and I was told that it would be slowing me down. So my girlfriend who got me interested in Tri's is loaning me her road bike she was going to sell. Okay now for the hard part- going for my first ride this morning after I am fitted on it- we will see if I eat it or not trying to dismount the bike! Haha! I did go on an 8-mile mountain bike ride with my son on back of the bike avg 12mph yesterday. Gosh it was beautiful weekend, I hope everyone had a chance to take advantage of it!
Courtney
2011-01-31 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3328965

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
mfrench3047 - 2011-01-29 10:16 PM Hey gang.  I have a question for the training experts in the group.  Most of my training has been heart rate specific and I did the testing earlier this year to establish HR max for the bike and run.  All of my zones are based on those max heart rates.  Today, I did a hill run and achieved a new HR max (181, up from 179) -- yep, it was a fun run!  Should I use this new HR max and change my HR brackets?  That seems to make sense to me, but I wanted to get some other opinions.  Of course, 2 bpm is not a big deal so it may not matter.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mike

I would not change then for 2bpm based on one test. 

2011-01-31 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Hi,
Okay so I ate it(cement), but only once and it was at my first stop sign. Got the hand of clicking in and out really quick. We did about 30 miles and I felt real comfortable at 20mph. Man I really love the road bike, a completely different beast than the MTB. Anyway, just thought I would let you know about my first road bike adventure.
Courtney
2011-01-31 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3326183

User image

Good afternoon group,

Sorry I slacked on my posting last week...

Training going great.  I hit all my training goals last week, but this week may pose a bit of a problem because we are expecting a fairly good winter storm (at least for Oklahoma) tonight.

I went to the local bike shop and bought shoes and pedals on Saturday.  They re-fit me to the bike with the pedals and found an anatomic issue that was causing the knee pain. 

21mi. ride on Saturday with no pain! Luckily, I only had one stop sign and I was able to coast through it, but I know my turn to test gravity is not that far around the corner.

Roy, good to hear that you were able to work out your knee pain. 

Happy training,
Brian 
2011-02-01 5:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Morning and congrats to Courtney and Brian for joining in a going clipless. Its amazing how much more power you have being connected to the bike. But with that comes some peril. Courtney hopefully you had a nice gentle fall? When you first get to riding clipless you'll need to understand your dismount tendancies. If you tend to lean one way or another but don't unclip on the corrrect side you can go down real easy that way. So as you and Brian get to riding more outdoors and dealing with the road it'something you have to prepare for and give some thought to until it  becomes a little more natural. I'm sure everyone here has a great I didn't get unclipped story to tell. And I'm sure Corey has some good scars from his CAT racing.

This is a recovery week for me, I had a pretty uninspired 3 mile run yesterday. At about mile 2 I could have stopped real easy but go through it. There are days like that.

Brian I saw the jetstream display on the weather yep it looks like its going to be cold in OK, the weathe for the Super Bowl activities doesn't look so good.

2011-02-01 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Good job getting out with the clip Courtney.  And welcome to the "I fell over and looked like and idiot" club.  Even after years of riding with clips I renew my membership one a year or two.

I think I finally shook this stupid chest cold.  This week's training shedule will be done 100%.  No excuses.

Got in a 10k run and swim yesterday.  Another 6 miler today.  Wednesday a short ride/run.  Thursday swim/bike, Friday rest day and Saturday we're going to San Antonio (FL) to ride some hills.

There, I said it.  Now I'm accountable
2011-02-01 7:30 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Had a REAL good first half of a run today.  Did my first sub 26 min 5k since my knee surgery (and it was in a strong wind up and over our big bridge twice).  The second half of the run (another 5k) was a bit slower however. 

2011-02-01 10:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Sean and Roy thanks for the concern and congrats! Not a bad fall at all just a little bruise on my bum to know I fell. Did a little 11.3 mile ride this morning at Ft. Desoto and did not have any issues. Hoping to get out again tomorrow if everything falls into place. Do you guys think it would be a good idea for me to do a sprint in March before my Olympic in April? Here is the sprint's website http://www.raceit.com/search/event.aspx?event=e2a9cb29-b7c1-4f8a-ba49-04b779c8fdf9.aspx
It is only the 2nd annual so I thought it would not be too crowded and would give me some practice before the Daytona Frogman in April. Thanks for the advice, Courtney

2011-02-02 5:50 AM
in reply to: #3334538

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Sean glad that you have shaken that cold. I know a few who are in the same boat, just can't seem to shake it. You've got plenty of time in prep for IMCda, but I'm sure your anxious to get going. Looks to be good weekend to ride in SanAn. I've got a swim meet this weekend, so no early rides for me.

Courtney, the Bartow event would not be a bad idea at all. It is a pool swim in meters, non heated pool. So a wetsuit will be needed. I've heard good things about the bike ride and run alot of folks who live around Lakeland and such will ride that route as part of their ride. I have a conflict that day, I live about 15 minutes from there it would be very convenient.

2011-02-02 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
I would think the sprint would be a good idea as well.  Everytime I race I learn something new.  Better to make the stupid mistake in a "B" race and be prepared for your "A" race..

Case in point...

St Anthony's in 2008 was my first race in my return to triathlons.  At the time I was still a novice swimmer and used a noseclip. (side note, lose the nose clips, you don't need them trust me).  Anyway got out of the swim and did the bike.  Was running past my wife out of T2 when she kept pointing to her neck.  Took me another 1/2 mile before I realized what she meant...

See the photo below... and see if you can spot it.  Had it on the entire bike and part of the run.

A minor mistake, sure but I sure felt like a dork...

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-02-02 9:30 AM

(IMG_3073.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_3073.JPG (48KB - 17 downloads)
2011-02-02 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Awesome nose clip Sean.

2011-02-02 10:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Hey Sean,
Thanks for the heads up! I will steer clear of the nose clips. I won't be riding until next week. My husband won Super Bowl tickets from Lee Roy Selmon's pick 63 fantasy football, (still can't believe it we don't win stuff) and we leave in the morning for Dallas. Gonna try and hit the pool to swim laps, but will definitely be hitting the gym. Told my trainer to post some workouts for me on Facebook so I can continue strength training. I should be able to get in some running as well, not outside though because tomorrow's high is supposed to be 28 degrees! Brrrrr!!!!! Anyway, I will be in touch and hopefully the weather will cooperate with your weekend training.

2011-02-03 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3336589

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Wow, congrats on the Super Bowl tickets. Are you going to go with your buccaneer colors or neutral? The weather is supposed to improve a bit for the weekend. So it shouldn't be to bad. Have fun and be careful.

Edited by tri/tbay 2011-02-03 9:09 AM
2011-02-03 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3332427

User image

Good Morning Group,

This storm has put a damper on the training.  Gym has been closed so no swimming or running. However, I was able to get in a good trainer ride yesterday and some weights, not to mention the shoveling and tractor work.  Motivation still very high, so I don't think I will have a problem getting back into it next week.  I guess this is just a unplanned recovery week.
Question:  Should I just skip this weeks run and swim workouts and contiue on schedule or do slightly more each week to catch up?
Great picture Sean.
Congrats on the tickets Courtney.

Brian
2011-02-03 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3336983

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

bjflynn - 2011-02-03 10:05 AM Good Morning Group,

This storm has put a damper on the training.  Gym has been closed so no swimming or running. However, I was able to get in a good trainer ride yesterday and some weights, not to mention the shoveling and tractor work.  Motivation still very high, so I don't think I will have a problem getting back into it next week.  I guess this is just a unplanned recovery week.
Question:  Should I just skip this weeks run and swim workouts and contiue on schedule or do slightly more each week to catch up?
Great picture Sean.
Congrats on the tickets Courtney.

Brian

Brian, I don't think its that important to make up the missed training at this point. If it were a little bit closer to an event might be a problem. Your staying active, get another trainer ride in with some high rpm intervals like 10 min. easy spin, 5 min at 85rpm, 5 min at 95 rpm repeat two more times and then cool down 10 min. or so. Or something similar that appeals to you. You can do push ups and some weights over the weekend then hopefully next week when the weather lets up you can get back in synch. My sig line "do what you can when you can" kind of tells the story for most of us.

Good to hear from you, I got a picture from a friend of mine in Kansas City, about a 4 foot drift in his driveway.

2011-02-04 5:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Good Morning Gang, I hope you all have a productive week, or at least got something accomplished. I know Brian has been kind of weathered in. I've got a busy weekend ahead, tonight a Rotary Club 5K, not really in 5K shape(froma speed aspect) but its a good community event. Then a swim meet with our team over the weekend. I'll be playing hookie from the meet on Sunday to play some golf with some buddies from college(Kansas State) who are going to be in town. I've got other coaches so I'm not orphaning the kids on Sunday. I might find some time to get a trainer ride in on Saturday, we'll see.

Whats your plans for the weekend?

2011-02-04 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Heading to your neck of the wood to meet my dad and his riding buddy (plus my wife) and taking a trip to San Antonio for some hills.  My plan calls for a 3 hour ride.

Hope to get in 1.5 hour run on Sunday too before I consume way too many calories during the Superbowl.

By the way Courtney .. have a great trip to Dallas.

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-02-04 9:12 AM

2011-02-08 6:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hello to the group. Hope your weekend was well and if your football fan the game went as you wanted? Not to bad of a game. I've had some college friends in town who are here on business for our industry(Golf), got some golf in with them over the weekend, ate some good food andf told some old stories(eeeehhhhh). I'll see them a couple of more times this week in Orlando at the conference. So no triaing for me over the weekend, should get back on schedule for the most part this week.

Lets hear whats been going on with you all, training going as you planned, having to deviate, injuries or anything else.

2011-02-08 7:12 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Sat - 3-1/4 hour ride in the hills of San Antonio
Sun - 9 mile run around Lake Hollingsworth (was visiting my parents in Lakeland).  Great place to run.
Mon - 5.5 mile run and a 45 min swim seswsion with a new coach
Tue - REST DAY!!!! whew... I'm beat...
2011-02-08 7:40 AM
in reply to: #3344420

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hey  Sean, looks like a good weekend. What kind of plan are you following for Cda? Running around downtown in Lakeland is a great place to train. Thats where the Rotary 5K was Friday night. Had a decent run, definitely not in 5K speed shape, went 24:04, about 45  seconds off of my PB.

2011-02-08 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3344472

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Using the Be IronFit plan.  We really like it.  It seems very balanced and does not go crazy with too much volume.  In the CdA thread there are several people using it.

http://www.amazon.com/Be-Iron-Fit-2nd-Time-Efficient/dp/1599218577

We did the Lake to Lake race a few years back.  A great race around all 3 major downtown lakes.  Real nice area.

24 is pretty damn good.  I did a 26-ish min 5k the other day in training.  Still trying to get my knee back to 100%.

I miss the days of HS cross country when I did 20-21 min 5ks

On a side note at out swim class last night I ended up taking 15-20 seconds off my 100 time just by a small stroke adjustment the coach suggested.  Absolutely amazing.  Now I just need to get used to it, feel weird.

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-02-08 8:26 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17