BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2011-01-12 11:36 PM
in reply to: #3296271

Subject: RE: Ernesto Villarroel's Group - OPEN
Ernesto- I read the race reports for IMSG, they all talk about how cold it was after swim & into the bike. What would you recommend wearing if it is still chilly at start of bike? If you do wear a long sleeved shirt & maybe gloves what do you do with them if it gets hot later on? Do you just have to ditch them? Should I plan to wear warm clothes that are expendable?Thanks, Joan

2011-01-13 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3296310

User image

Master
Dallas
Jd_montgomery - 2011-01-12 11:36 PM Ernesto- I read the race reports for IMSG, they all talk about how cold it was after swim & into the bike. What would you recommend wearing if it is still chilly at start of bike? If you do wear a long sleeved shirt & maybe gloves what do you do with them if it gets hot later on? Do you just have to ditch them? Should I plan to wear warm clothes that are expendable?Thanks, Joan

You don't have to ditch anything, you can put it in the special needs bag halfway through the bike and give it back to the volunteers. My checklist for the T1 bag would include:
- Toe warmers
- Cycling jacket (snug fit)
- Gloves
- Dry trisuit (just put a swimsuit under your wetsuit and change it in T1).
Don't worry about the legs, unless it is extremely cold. Just keep your core warm, but not too much though...
2011-01-13 6:45 AM
in reply to: #3259938

User image

Master
Dallas
2011-01-13 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Dallas
Mark:

This is an example of what I was talking about when I mentioned training tired and sore. I found this today:

http://running.competitor.com/2011/01/training/how-to-avoid-overtraining_20055

Edited by evillarroel 2011-01-13 6:47 AM
2011-01-13 2:58 PM

User image

Copenhagen
Cool!

NAME: Kimtri/Kim

STORY: 
 35- year old guy, living in Europe, working as financial controller and father of two. Am a good biker and runner  but at the same time a terrible swimmer. My goal is definitely to do an ironman - it is just a matter of when. I need to learn to do freesyle and thats is an obstacle to me. Did a sprint last august and used mostly breaststroke. I have been studying videos a lot to learn the proper technique and used quite some time in the pool (last year) but still manage only 50 meters before I run out of breath when doing freestyle. My problem is that my family life currently doesn't allow for me to join a swimming class with fixex hours. At my next time in the pool I will try to work on the high elbow and making shure that the stretched arm doesen't sink in the water as I take my breath.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Happily maried for 6 yeas now and father of a 2,5 yearold son and a 4 month old daughter, so I am not doing 15 hours /week at the moment!

CURRENT TRAINING: Haven't really started yet but I will slowly increase training and will focus on swimming. I will try to reach 5 hours/week the coming month and gradually increase from there.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: There is an IM distance race here in Copenhagen late august  - it would be a dream for me to participate but that seems unrealistic.. I will definitely do some shorter distances (sprint and perhaps olympic)in late spring/early summer. 

2010 races: Did my first tri in august with 400m swimg, 18 km bike and 4 km run - it was fantastic. Want to live the tri life forever!

WEIGHTLOSS:
 My BF i 8% so no weightloss for me please or I will disappear alltogether. Expect to increase weight instead.

2011-01-13 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3296445

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
evillarroel - 2011-01-13 6:45 AM Mark:

This is an example of what I was talking about when I mentioned training tired and sore. I found this today:

http://running.competitor.com/2011/01/training/how-to-avoid-overtraining_20055

Thanks Ernesto, this is what I was thinking too. While it sounds easy, in practice, specially if you don't follow a plan, it is hit and miss game (for me at least). I guess in the end I prefer to be undertrained, rely on the base and just suffer more on the big day...
I also need to practice training with lower HR as you stressed before. This seems to be very important.

Well, I'm off to Poland and probably won't have access to the net for at least few days. Thank you for your help and will connect with you guys as soon as I can. Have a great weekend!

Edited by markz 2011-01-13 3:51 PM

2011-01-13 6:22 PM
in reply to: #3293738

User image

Thanks for your reply.  I guess the more I do maybe the easier the emotional part will get.
The routing part is good advice.

Thanks

Jennifer
2011-01-14 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3297895

User image

Master
Dallas
KimTri - 2011-01-13 2:58 PM Cool!

NAME: Kimtri/Kim

STORY: 
 35- year old guy, living in Europe, working as financial controller and father of two. Am a good biker and runner  but at the same time a terrible swimmer. My goal is definitely to do an ironman - it is just a matter of when. I need to learn to do freesyle and thats is an obstacle to me. Did a sprint last august and used mostly breaststroke. I have been studying videos a lot to learn the proper technique and used quite some time in the pool (last year) but still manage only 50 meters before I run out of breath when doing freestyle. My problem is that my family life currently doesn't allow for me to join a swimming class with fixex hours. At my next time in the pool I will try to work on the high elbow and making shure that the stretched arm doesen't sink in the water as I take my breath.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Happily maried for 6 yeas now and father of a 2,5 yearold son and a 4 month old daughter, so I am not doing 15 hours /week at the moment!

CURRENT TRAINING: Haven't really started yet but I will slowly increase training and will focus on swimming. I will try to reach 5 hours/week the coming month and gradually increase from there.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: There is an IM distance race here in Copenhagen late august  - it would be a dream for me to participate but that seems unrealistic.. I will definitely do some shorter distances (sprint and perhaps olympic)in late spring/early summer. 

2010 races: Did my first tri in august with 400m swimg, 18 km bike and 4 km run - it was fantastic. Want to live the tri life forever!

WEIGHTLOSS:
 My BF i 8% so no weightloss for me please or I will disappear alltogether. Expect to increase weight instead.

That is great Kim. I love to see enthusiastic people. Your Ironman dream is perfectly attainable, but like you said, you have to work your way up to it. It is preferable that you choose a few Olympic distances this year and then do the jump next year.
Feel free to ask any questions, hope you're having a good day.
2011-01-14 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Garmin Forerunner 305

Do you all use the bike cadence, bike mount and footpod accessories with this heart monitor/watch?

Jackie (off to the pool tonight)
Just Do It
2011-01-14 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3300252

User image

Expert
How about a waterproof case for the Forerunner 305?

Jackie (still off to the pool tonight)
Just Do It
2011-01-14 3:53 PM
in reply to: #3295550

User image

Expert
Ernesto,

I was doing 5 to 6 trainings a week in December.  Remember, I just decided to do this on December 8.

I've had a couple of bad weeks for January.  Very tired (unusual for me), sore knee, daughter home from college, friends with the flu, not to mention the ice age.  I was a little cautious and didn't want to push myself and cause a bigger problem.  I am working on getting back on track now.

Jackie
Just Do It

2011-01-14 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3300252

User image

Master
Dallas
jdiis - 2011-01-14 3:18 PM Garmin Forerunner 305

Do you all use the bike cadence, bike mount and footpod accessories with this heart monitor/watch?

Jackie (off to the pool tonight)
Just Do It

I only use the bike cadence accesory, for the run cadence I use a musician's metronome (electronic) that I bought on ebay for $6 (new). It beeps at whatever frequency you want it to. I keep my turnover pretty high (95SPM running, 95RPM on the bike) this way I get two benefits: First, it shortens my stride while I'm running, that makes me create less pounding on my joints therefore decreases the possibility of injury. Second, if you "mimic" your bike cadence with your run cadence, you will not feel the brick hit you that hard when you dismount off the bike.
About the Garmin waterproofing, they sell the Garmin 310XT which is about the same but waterproof and a few more features. The price almost doubles though.
My 305 has worked just fine in the water though, it is not waterproof but it is water resistant, according to the manual you can have submerged for up to thirty minutes for less than three feet. Sounds familiar? that's about an Olympic distance swim.
2011-01-15 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Dallas
Rain and work have altered all my training plans for the week, so I lost quite a bit of volume in my 2nd week of Ironman specific training. How's everybody holding out there?
2011-01-16 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3296444

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Hi Ernesto, Hi all!

I'm interested in joining this group if it's not too late. 

NAME: baurryman/Barry

STORY: 
 I'm 49 years young training to do my first triathlon. I'd like to do several this year and am coming from a running background. I started running almost 5 years ago and have done 4 (very slow) marathons. I am a chemist and director of a hair and skin care company and sometimes struggle to find time to train adequately.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Single. Two adult children with 7 & 3 year old grandsons.

CURRENT TRAINING: Taking swimming lessons with a masters swim group twice per week. Swimming is definitely my weak point right now. I've bee swimming for about 6 weeks and can do 400m in 15 minutes in 100m sets. I run on average 3-4 times a week (15-20 miles total) and have yet to sign up for a spin class. I do have a road bike.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Yet to be determined.

WEIGHTLOSS:
 Weightloss has been a challenge for me but I am determined. I would like to lose 20 - 25 pounds. this year.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE? I follow coaching enthusiastically and am not afraid to share victories and failures with others. I learn from all experiences.
2011-01-16 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3302524

User image

Master
Dallas
baurryman - 2011-01-16 9:22 AM Hi Ernesto, Hi all!

I'm interested in joining this group if it's not too late. 

NAME: baurryman/Barry

STORY: 
 I'm 49 years young training to do my first triathlon. I'd like to do several this year and am coming from a running background. I started running almost 5 years ago and have done 4 (very slow) marathons. I am a chemist and director of a hair and skin care company and sometimes struggle to find time to train adequately.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Single. Two adult children with 7 & 3 year old grandsons.

CURRENT TRAINING: Taking swimming lessons with a masters swim group twice per week. Swimming is definitely my weak point right now. I've bee swimming for about 6 weeks and can do 400m in 15 minutes in 100m sets. I run on average 3-4 times a week (15-20 miles total) and have yet to sign up for a spin class. I do have a road bike.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Yet to be determined.

WEIGHTLOSS:
 Weightloss has been a challenge for me but I am determined. I would like to lose 20 - 25 pounds. this year.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE? I follow coaching enthusiastically and am not afraid to share victories and failures with others. I learn from all experiences.

Hi Barry, it's never too late! Actually we shouldn't have any more room but one or two people sent only one message, got accepted and never showed up again. That means you're in.
Feel free to ask any questions, this is a very heterogeneous group, there's all kind of backgrounds and levels of experience that (to me at least) makes it so much better.
We've all started somewhere, triathlon is a lifetime sport and I don't know one person that has quit the sport yet.
I would say the best you could do is set up a goal race (preferably a Sprint), sign up for it (to feel commited) and define a training plan. I believe that any dream that you pursue in life has to have a goal and a method to get there. The rest is easy.
Where do you live?
2011-01-16 2:03 PM

User image

Regular
Mexico
Hello Ernesto, I hope I still can join It looks that I can learn a lot in it

I live in Mexico City, and I can run the 10K with no hassle, mi bike is good, currently I'm working on improve my swim

Thank You 

2011-01-16 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3302856

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Thanks Ernesto!I live about 30 miles west of Chicago.
2011-01-16 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3302882

User image

Master
Dallas
Fer Cuevas - 2011-01-16 2:03 PM Hello Ernesto, I hope I still can join It looks that I can learn a lot in it

I live in Mexico City, and I can run the 10K with no hassle, mi bike is good, currently I'm working on improve my swim

Thank You 

Bienvenido Fernando! There's a lot of triathletes in Mexico and actually the only person in the world that has completed every Ironman venue is from Distrito Federal, his name is Luis Alvarez and I know the guy, he's great, lots of fun. You can ask your questions in Spanish if you'd like, I speak it, read it and write it too (I was born in Argentina).
What's your 10K time? How many miles 9or kilometers) are you putting a week? How about the bike?
2011-01-16 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3302919

User image

Master
Dallas
baurryman - 2011-01-16 2:31 PM Thanks Ernesto!I live about 30 miles west of Chicago.

Barry,

If you don't mind my suggestion, the Chicago triathlon is one of the biggest on earth. It is a very traditional event and it will take place during the weekend of August 26th through the 28th. I think it's also perfect timing for you to get ready for it.

Edited by evillarroel 2011-01-16 7:51 PM
2011-01-16 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3303350

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
evillarroel - 2011-01-16 7:19 PM
baurryman - 2011-01-16 2:31 PM Thanks Ernesto!I live about 30 miles west of Chicago.

Barry,

If you don't mind my suggestion, the Chicago triathlon is one of the biggest on earth. It is a very traditional event and it will take place during the weekend of August 26th through the 28th. I think it's also perfect timing for you to get ready for it.

Thanks Ernesto,

That is actually my target race. I guess I'd better register in case it fills up anywhere near a quickly as Chicago area running events do. I am also planning on the Naperville triathlon (sprint, 400m swim) on Aug 14th. I will also do one of the Lifetime indoor Triathlons.
2011-01-17 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3303294

User image

Regular
Mexico
evillarroel - 2011-01-16 6:46 PM
Fer Cuevas - 2011-01-16 2:03 PM Hello Ernesto, I hope I still can join It looks that I can learn a lot in it

Thank You 

Bienvenido Fernando! There's a lot of triathletes in Mexico and actually the only person in the world that has completed every Ironman venue is from Distrito Federal, his name is Luis Alvarez and I know the guy, he's great, lots of fun. You can ask your questions in Spanish if you'd like, I speak it, read it and write it too (I was born in Argentina).
What's your 10K time? How many miles 9or kilometers) are you putting a week? How about the bike?

Hola nuevamente, se que hay bastante triatletas en Mexico, supongo que tendré que esperar mi primer competencia para conocerlos, estoy corriendo los 10 k en 52 minutos, corro al rededor de 40k en una buena semana, en la bici me siento bien, bastante estándar, pero el nado es mi talón de Aquiles por lo que le he puesto mayor atención, me inscribí en un masters y siento que voy progresando.

tengo el apoyo de mi buen amigo Boxer usuario de BT también.

Mi meta es hacer mínimo un par de olímpicos este año.

Gracias de antemano 

2011-01-17 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3300453

User image

Expert
Thanks for the tip on the metronome.  I'm ordering the Garmin this week.

Jackie
Just Do It
2011-01-17 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3302155

User image

Expert
Hi All,

Well, we finally had a beautiful weather day, and I actually had half a day off.  I do need picked up though.

I did a 20 mile bike ride with a friend.  That was really nice.  Then I went to the pool.  That was NOT nice.  If "can't" and "quit"  were in my vocabulary, I'd be done.  Fortunately, they are not.

I read Bigfuzzydoug's Ten Points to Swimming (on the forum somewhere) several times.  So, the last two swim workouts I tried a few of his tips.  I tried the balancing drill, looking at my feet, climbing the ladder, etc.  I am still not breathing right.  The lifeguard told me I stop my arms and legs when I breathe and therefore I sink and have to push myself back up.

Am I the only one who can't seem to swim more than 50-75 yards without stopping and gasping for breath?  What will fix that feeling and when does it go away??

Jackie
Just Do It
2011-01-18 12:34 AM

Ernesto - just wondering how ou pick up your water/sport drink on the bike. Approximately how many aid stations are there? Do you come to a complete stop and get your bottles and then get going again? Or do you just slow down enough to grab a bottle and go?Thanks,Joan
2011-01-18 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3305532

User image

Jackie:
I had the same problem when I joined my master swim group. I love breaststroke but we seem to do a lot of free.  We have worked on a lot of drill for body positioning.  The biggest thing is to make sure you are having your head in the correct position.  Not just looking down but keeping your head so that it feels like a string could be pulling you from the top of your head through the water.  Our coach TVO'd us and it was so clear to see what was happening with the head position.  If your head is not in alignment your hips will sink (making it soooooo much harder to swim and breathe).  Hope that helps.  It has really helped me.
You might practice the drills with fins on so you can really focus on positioning.

Jennifer 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto Villarroel's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 25