BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2011-05-30 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3440446

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED
ahhh i just googled jammers, don't think i'll be needing those haha! :-)

2011-05-31 2:10 PM
in reply to: #3524950

User image

Sensei
Sin City

gokat - 2011-05-30 8:25 PM ahhh i just googled jammers, don't think i'll be needing those haha! :-)

Could make it interesting for the male competitors! 

2011-05-31 2:19 PM
in reply to: #3525950

User image

Sensei
Sin City

How was everyone's long weekend?  How's training looking this week?

I had a thought.  Let's post some goals for June and see how we end up...

According to my plan, I need to get the following done:

27,500 meters in the pool, 80 miles of running, and 275 miles of riding...  All pretty much easy effort.  I also don't think there are any races available in June, but I may look around.

How about you?  Doesn't have to be much, but it's a good way to set some monthly goals!

2011-05-31 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3525965

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Kido - 2011-05-31 3:19 PM

27,500 meters in the pool, 80 miles of running, and 275 miles of riding...  All pretty much easy effort.  I also don't think there are any races available in June, but I may look around.

How about you?  Doesn't have to be much, but it's a good way to set some monthly goals!

I am shooting for 15,575 in the pool (actually, I hope to get into the lake by mid-late June), bike 71 miles and run 30. I have both a recovery week as well as a taper week in June so those numbers are down a bit from previous months. I am gearing up for my first race on July 10th so I am looking to make June a great month. Really looking to zone in on what I am eating as well - I could do without a few of these stubborn pounds that insist on loitering about my mid-section!

2011-05-31 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

Lose 4-8 lbs.

Walk/Jog 3 days a week

Run 1 mile continuously

Swim at least 1 day a week

Get bike fixed, so it if ready for July tri.

2011-05-31 9:40 PM
in reply to: #3524950

gokat - 2011-05-30 8:25 PM ahhh i just googled jammers, don't think i'll be needing those haha! :-)

Hahaha.  I did the same thing the other day!

2011-05-31 9:43 PM
in reply to: #3526585

User image

Sensei
Sin City
otter_sh - 2011-05-31 6:56 PM

Lose 4-8 lbs.

Walk/Jog 3 days a week

Run 1 mile continuously

Swim at least 1 day a week

Get bike fixed, so it if ready for July tri.

Those are good goals...  Consitancy is the key and it looks like you want to get at least 4 days of workous in a week.  That's important.

2011-05-31 9:47 PM
in reply to: #3526657

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Since I was looking for this for my own reference, I thought  I would share.  I'm used to training by HR, and I have an RPE based plan SOOO, I needed a quick conversion to remind me.  I couldn't recall.  For example, today's workout was supposed to be 45 minutes at RPE 3-4...

Since I train by HR, that equates to Z1 - recovery run.  As you can see, if you know your body and based on percieved effort, an HRM is not needed.  HOWEVER, sometimes there are days where a workout just "feels" hard and you may make adjustments based on that.  The HR gives you slightly more concrete data of your effort level.  (let me add that there are other considerations that may scew the HR data.  Heat/temp, dehydration, lack of recovery/overtraining, and illness.

RPE/HR Zone Chart

Z1 - Zone 1 or Recovery
Z2 - Zone 2 or Extensive endurance
Z3 - Zone 3 or Intensive endurance/muscular endurance
Z4 - Zone 4 or Sub-threshold
Z5a - Zone 5a or Threshold
Z5b- Zone 5b or Super-threshold
Z5c- Zone 5b or VO2 Max

RPE Zone HR ZoneDescription
0 Z1Complete Rest
1 Z1Very easy; light walking
2 Z1Very easy; light walking
3 Z1Very easy; walking
4 Z1Still easy, maybe starting to sweat
5 Z2Starting to work just a little and you can feel your HR rise
6 Z2 UpperWorking but sustainable, able to talk in full sentences
7 Z3Strong effort; breathing labored, but can still maintain pace for some minutes without slowing.
8 Z4Olympic Distance Race Pace for MOP to FOP
9 Z510k effort – very hard
10 Z5+Z5+ = 5k effort and Z5++ = cannot hold effort for more than a minute or two. (almost maximal effort)
2011-05-31 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3525965

Kido - 2011-05-31 12:19 PM

Oh, the long weekend--our 19-year old son got appendicitis, so we had an impromptu visit to go help him out!

For the month of June, my training goals are:

8250 yds swimming--go to pool 2x a week

85.3 mi. biking--plus learn how to change a flat

22.3 mi. jogging/walking--jog at least 2/3rd of the 5K run June 25

Other related goals:

Find out from other tri-women what they wear for these races.

2011-06-01 1:15 AM

User image

New user

My goals are:

Start using my new Garmin 305 to run with (i literally just bought it) and work to a strict HR based run schedule. Basically I think i need to start from scratch with my running so i think 2x runs a week is a good idea. One long run, one intervals, to slowly increase both my endurance and speed.

I also want to begin swim training more consistently. So again, 2x swims a week, one long for endurance, one concentrating on drills to improve my form.

My biking is good, i don't really need to work on this anymore, so i'm going to carry on biking to work every day when possible, and go for a long ride at weekends when possible too...

2011-06-01 1:49 AM
in reply to: #3526671

User image

New user
colossians_33 - 2011-05-31 7:51 PM

Other related goals:

Find out from other tri-women what they wear for these races.

I wore a 2 piece tri suit for my triathlon this weekend, and it was perfect. I have a Sugoi (Canadian make) suit, which cost approx. $60 for top, $70 for shorts. I wore it under my full sleeve wetsuit (an Orca Sonar: http://www.orca.com/product/sonar-fullsleeve-womens ...something I'd also recommend... don't be frightened how tight it is before you have worn it in water though!), and the tri suit dried off within about 5 minutes on the bike, and was super comfy for the whole race. No uncomfortable soggy feeling at all! I wear the tri suit for training in a lot too, it's great, and it makes me feel like super woman

2011-06-01 11:58 AM

User image

manchester, UK

hi all

first of well done kat, great job!

i think my goals are going to be 12,000 meters in the lake, 80 miles on the bike and 30 miles on the run

fingers crossed a few brick sessions to

2011-06-01 7:48 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Bay

First brick of June...

600 m swim followed by almost 2 mile walk/jog with a 3/3 timing over the bridge...

Shoulder was sore for first 200 yards then calmed and feels fine...

HRM was a little off after swim, when I put it on after swim it read 33- 37.  Once I started my walk it was at 109.  High of 166.  After completed back during cool down back in 30s.  Once sitting in truck, back to 109.

Edited by otter_sh 2011-06-01 7:50 PM
2011-06-03 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3528267

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I was getting my monthly massage the other night and thought of a topic to bring up...  recovery.

If you can, a massage every couple of weeks (I can only afford once a month) is great for the body plus a nice "reward" for some tough workouts.  It can really help loosen up tight areas and get an overall relaxed feeling.

Along with that, a decent stretching program works WONDERS to avoid injuries and aches and pains.  I strongly recommend getting a foam roller and working your ITB.  It's such a leading cause for knee pain and other issues, that a couple minutes a day will help avoid...  They only cost about 20-25 bucks and well worth the money.

I had cronic knee pain, and a couple weeks on the roller?  Totally gone.  If I ever feel it coming back, just a few extra sessions and I'm all cleared up.

2011-06-03 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3531921

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I hope everyone is planning an active weekend!  I suppose I will get a long-ish bike ride in with some friends.
2011-06-03 9:13 PM

User image

New user

I was wondering about recovery after a race. How long do you wait to train for the next race? I've been biking all week, but only just been for a run since the race on Sunday, and I'm not doing a swimming session until this Sunday. I didn't feel like i COULD even train for the first 3 days afterwards. Was so tired!!

Anyway, this weekend I'm meeting up with the tri team i just joined! They are going to help me with my swimming and running over the next 8 weeks. They also do big group bike rides. Can't wait, and i think it will make me a LOT more consistent! Hoping the running clinics will really help with my running for the 8k race i have in 2 weeks time...

2011-06-03 9:48 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

My wife gets a message every month and swears by it.  I have never tried it????

Got a run/bike brick for tomorrow, Sunday off and taper next week (eliptical, short bike, short swim) and race on Saturday 6/11.  It's a reverse sprint, run/bike/swim.  Run course looks pretty tuff, 200ft climb over 1 mile (3.5 mile run total), 10 mile bike with a short cat5 climb (475 ft), and a 400yd pool swim.  All in the mountains at about 7000ft.  Which is about where I live and train so should be a blast.  After my brick tomorrow I'll post a goal time to beat.

Have a good weekend.

2011-06-04 12:35 PM

User image

Regular
Los Alamos

Okay brick complete and here are the times, I even set up a little transistion area to practice this:

Run 3.5 miles - 33:12 (less than a 10min/mile is a PB for me, well at least since high school)

T1 - 2:43 (gotta be able to improve on this, I stopped to drink some water, which will be available on course during run)

Bike 10 Miles - 36:16 (pretty good bike had head wind on downhill)

T2 - 1:29

Total time was 1:13.40.

So if I can pull off a 10 min 400 swim I should be able to beat 1:25.

So that's my goal to beat!  When I started the training 8 weeks ago for this race my goal was to beat 1:30 so we'll see what happens.

2011-06-04 8:26 PM

New user

Subject: Targets

I have my next triathlon on 19th June.

My target is to actually do some training.

I need to get some swims in - a couple this week and then a couple of easy ones next week.

I need to get some bike rides in - want to do 2 x 1 hour rides and maybe a couple of shorter ones as well.

Not so concerned with run but should try to do a couple.

Seems like a busy fortnight.

Adam

2011-06-05 11:03 AM

User image

manchester, UK

hi all just wondering if anyone is on twitter, only just joined and thought it could be usefull for training!

2011-06-05 7:09 PM

New user

I am there - adampjacob

Won't claim to be the most entertaining to follow though.

Adam

2011-06-06 2:59 PM
in reply to: #3533739

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm not on twitter...  Wife is, religiously.  But I think I draw the line there.  Facebook and BT are enough.

I hope everyone's weekend was productive.  I'll be checking out logs when I get back today!  I need to run some errands and then hit the pool.

2011-06-06 5:26 PM

User image

New user
I've really been enjoying running again now I've realised that I don't have to absolutely kill myself every time i do it :-)
2011-06-06 5:55 PM

New user

Managed to get a ride in. Only 32 mins but rode hard so hopefully it helps.

Adam

2011-06-06 9:53 PM
in reply to: #3535738

User image

Sensei
Sin City

gokat - 2011-06-06 3:26 PM I've really been enjoying running again now I've realised that I don't have to absolutely kill myself every time i do it :-)

Exactly!  Getting out there every day, or close to it is much better than killing yourself.  The only way you can get out there every day is by going easy...

In general when it comes to training, MOST of your time should be going "easy" (not lazy, but at a very comfortable effort).  For example, if I'm workout out 10 hours a week, 45 minutes would be doing a hard run workout, 30-45 minutes of a hard swim workout, and maybe an hour of a hard biking workout.  The rest is pretty easy.  If you break it down, it's probably only about 25% of your weekly time should be at a hard effort...  It's the only way to stay sane and enjoy it and not get over trained.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kido's Summertime Shenanigan Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12