General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2011-11-16 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3903747

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Subject: RE: Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread
jsnowash - 2011-11-16 3:19 AM

I'm curious what you found to be the "most effective interval series" from Jorge's plan? This is my first year following it, and I can't really follow it exactly, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on which workouts are most effective, especially for IM prep.

Most effective in this context are those intervals that require the longest amount of time lying on the floor after the workout before I can get back upstairs... for me, these are the 6x4' intervals at 5' power, and the longer intervals at 95% of FTP. I'm doing an 8-week cycle, 2 intervals workouts per week, like this; 1 - test week, 2 - 4x4' at 90% and 100% of 5' pwr, 3 - 5x4' same levels, 4 - 6x4' same levels, 5 - test week, 6 - 4x7.5' and 4x10' at 95% of FTP, 7 - 3x10' and 3x13' same level, 8 - 2x15' and 2x20' same level. These all take 45' to an hour, the third bike workout each week is a long ride, although I will probably alternate a long ride with two medium rides at higher intensity (EN plan) every other week once I get into the spring. Last year, I went from around 210W to 268W following two cycles of Jorge's plan, would love to get to 290-300W this year so I can race IMNY at 200W. It's going to hurt.

2011-11-16 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3904209

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

coxma22 - 2011-11-16 11:56 AM
jsnowash - 2011-11-16 3:19 AM I'm curious what you found to be the "most effective interval series" from Jorge's plan? This is my first year following it, and I can't really follow it exactly, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on which workouts are most effective, especially for IM prep.
Most effective in this context are those intervals that require the longest amount of time lying on the floor after the workout before I can get back upstairs... for me, these are the 6x4' intervals at 5' power, and the longer intervals at 95% of FTP. I'm doing an 8-week cycle, 2 intervals workouts per week, like this; 1 - test week, 2 - 4x4' at 90% and 100% of 5' pwr, 3 - 5x4' same levels, 4 - 6x4' same levels, 5 - test week, 6 - 4x7.5' and 4x10' at 95% of FTP, 7 - 3x10' and 3x13' same level, 8 - 2x15' and 2x20' same level. These all take 45' to an hour, the third bike workout each week is a long ride, although I will probably alternate a long ride with two medium rides at higher intensity (EN plan) every other week once I get into the spring. Last year, I went from around 210W to 268W following two cycles of Jorge's plan, would love to get to 290-300W this year so I can race IMNY at 200W. It's going to hurt.

Wow do I have a lot to learn - can you give me the extreme begginer explanation? Thanks.

KC

2011-11-16 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3904893

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
kcgolf - 2011-11-16 6:37 PM

Wow do I have a lot to learn - can you give me the extreme begginer explanation? Thanks.

KC

Sure, but first a disclaimer - I'm just an engineer (build spaceships) that is going into my 3rd tri season, second with an IM, who has studied a lot of this stuff on my own because I find it interesting - I have no schooling in this area whatsoever. And second, if you want to learn much more about power-based interval training on the bike, go over to the challenge forum and follow the thread on Jorge's winter cycling program. Better yet, actually do the program this winter.

With that said, what I outlined above is a weekly series of bike interval workouts where I'm doing intervals in specific physiological zones. I test every 4th week to find out what my current capability is, and then do intervals right around that current capability, which is the best way to improve it. One of these tests tells me how much power I can put out, going as hard as possible, for five minutes, the second for 20 minutes. From these two results, there is some simple math that predicts how much power I could put out going as hard as I could for one hour - I'm calling this FTP, or functional threshold power. What's important about this number is you should ride an IM at about 70% of this number, give or take, to maximize the balance between your bike time and the energy left for the run. The higher FTP is, the more power you can put out going up and down the Palisades Parkway, the faster your bike split.

A way to make FTP higher is to train at it for as long a duration as possible, but this hurts an awful lot and sooner or later you have to stop - to make workout of this type last longer, it gets broken into intervals. The classic FTP interval training set is 2x20' intervals at FTP with a 5' break in between - I'll try to do that once per cycle because I don't have the fortitude to do it more often. Ideally for an IM, all interval training would be at FTP for as long as possible. I throw in the 4' intervals at 5' max power to improve my 5' power capability, which doesn't do much for an IM, but may help me get up the freaking wall in Savageman this year, which is another major goal of my season.
2011-11-17 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3550668

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
FYI, I'm considering doing THIS SWIM in the Hudson in late May. It's not exactly in the same stretch of river we will be swimming in, but I figure it might be good to get a feel for what swimming in the Hudson is like. I've done other river swims, but in much smaller rivers with less current & chop....
2011-11-17 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3905245

User image

Master
New Jersey
jsnowash - 2011-11-17 8:39 AM

FYI, I'm considering doing THIS SWIM in the Hudson in late May. It's not exactly in the same stretch of river we will be swimming in, but I figure it might be good to get a feel for what swimming in the Hudson is like. I've done other river swims, but in much smaller rivers with less current & chop....

That's funny...I was looking at that exact swim too... and for the exact same reasons.

2011-11-17 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3904985

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Thanks for explanation - I appreciate it. Looking foward to learning more from all of you and if you get tired of my questions just let me know Smile

KC

coxma22 - 2011-11-16 10:10 PM

KC

Sure, but first a disclaimer - I'm just an engineer (build spaceships) that is going into my 3rd tri season, second with an IM, who has studied a lot of this stuff on my own because I find it interesting - I have no schooling in this area whatsoever. And second, if you want to learn much more about power-based interval training on the bike, go over to the challenge forum and follow the thread on Jorge's winter cycling program. Better yet, actually do the program this winter. With that said, what I outlined above is a weekly series of bike interval workouts where I'm doing intervals in specific physiological zones. I test every 4th week to find out what my current capability is, and then do intervals right around that current capability, which is the best way to improve it. One of these tests tells me how much power I can put out, going as hard as possible, for five minutes, the second for 20 minutes. From these two results, there is some simple math that predicts how much power I could put out going as hard as I could for one hour - I'm calling this FTP, or functional threshold power. What's important about this number is you should ride an IM at about 70% of this number, give or take, to maximize the balance between your bike time and the energy left for the run. The higher FTP is, the more power you can put out going up and down the Palisades Parkway, the faster your bike split. A way to make FTP higher is to train at it for as long a duration as possible, but this hurts an awful lot and sooner or later you have to stop - to make workout of this type last longer, it gets broken into intervals. The classic FTP interval training set is 2x20' intervals at FTP with a 5' break in between - I'll try to do that once per cycle because I don't have the fortitude to do it more often. Ideally for an IM, all interval training would be at FTP for as long as possible. I throw in the 4' intervals at 5' max power to improve my 5' power capability, which doesn't do much for an IM, but may help me get up the freaking wall in Savageman this year, which is another major goal of my season.

2011-11-17 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3905391

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
kcgolf - 2011-11-17 10:39 PM

Thanks for explanation - I appreciate it. Looking foward to learning more from all of you and if you get tired of my questions just let me know Smile

KC

coxma22 - 2011-11-16 10:10 PM

KC

Sure, but first a disclaimer - I'm just an engineer (build spaceships) that is going into my 3rd tri season, second with an IM, who has studied a lot of this stuff on my own because I find it interesting - I have no schooling in this area whatsoever. And second, if you want to learn much more about power-based interval training on the bike, go over to the challenge forum and follow the thread on Jorge's winter cycling program. Better yet, actually do the program this winter. With that said, what I outlined above is a weekly series of bike interval workouts where I'm doing intervals in specific physiological zones. I test every 4th week to find out what my current capability is, and then do intervals right around that current capability, which is the best way to improve it. One of these tests tells me how much power I can put out, going as hard as possible, for five minutes, the second for 20 minutes. From these two results, there is some simple math that predicts how much power I could put out going as hard as I could for one hour - I'm calling this FTP, or functional threshold power. What's important about this number is you should ride an IM at about 70% of this number, give or take, to maximize the balance between your bike time and the energy left for the run. The higher FTP is, the more power you can put out going up and down the Palisades Parkway, the faster your bike split. A way to make FTP higher is to train at it for as long a duration as possible, but this hurts an awful lot and sooner or later you have to stop - to make workout of this type last longer, it gets broken into intervals. The classic FTP interval training set is 2x20' intervals at FTP with a 5' break in between - I'll try to do that once per cycle because I don't have the fortitude to do it more often. Ideally for an IM, all interval training would be at FTP for as long as possible. I throw in the 4' intervals at 5' max power to improve my 5' power capability, which doesn't do much for an IM, but may help me get up the freaking wall in Savageman this year, which is another major goal of my season.

KC, That's the great thing about BT, in the 4+ years I've been on here no one ever gets tired of answering questions from the hardest to the easiest and everytime someone asks a question there are a handful of others who want to know the same thing.  Keep firing away.

2011-11-17 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3904205

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
runnerx - 2011-11-16 11:54 AM

papson14 - 2011-11-16 5:35 AM

I feel your pain runnerx.  Last year, September, I had a full rupture of my left achilles.  Right into surgery, right into rehab, and just a bit over 7 months later I was able to complete IM Australia.  Stick to your plan and you'll be fine.  I can still smell the floor of the gym when I hit the ground after the pop and I immediately counted 7 months and just started wondering.  You've got plenty of time just follow your Doc's plan.  Good luck.

I was lucky in that I didn't have a complete tear - only partial. But, in a way, it's also caused it to be an on-going nuisance for the last year. I've been up and down a few times - it got better, only to get worse. So, naturally I'm a little leery of pushing things. But thanks for the pep talk...I am following doc's orders.

What did your partial tear feel like? Did you know it when it happened? I've been having some nagging pain in my left Achilles for the past couple of weeks. It started to feel better, then I ran a 13.1 on it last weekend and now it feels sort of like a rusty joint.
2011-11-17 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3906460

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
ShawnFromNorfolk - 2011-11-18 8:42 AM
runnerx - 2011-11-16 11:54 AM
papson14 - 2011-11-16 5:35 AM

I feel your pain runnerx.  Last year, September, I had a full rupture of my left achilles.  Right into surgery, right into rehab, and just a bit over 7 months later I was able to complete IM Australia.  Stick to your plan and you'll be fine.  I can still smell the floor of the gym when I hit the ground after the pop and I immediately counted 7 months and just started wondering.  You've got plenty of time just follow your Doc's plan.  Good luck.

I was lucky in that I didn't have a complete tear - only partial. But, in a way, it's also caused it to be an on-going nuisance for the last year. I've been up and down a few times - it got better, only to get worse. So, naturally I'm a little leery of pushing things. But thanks for the pep talk...I am following doc's orders.
What did your partial tear feel like? Did you know it when it happened? I've been having some nagging pain in my left Achilles for the past couple of weeks. It started to feel better, then I ran a 13.1 on it last weekend and now it feels sort of like a rusty joint.

Hey Shawn, you better heal up.  I'll be in Va Beach in 44 days I'm gonna need someone to show me the best rides and runs in the area.  Although if you're KQing at NYC I'll only be near you for a little while

2011-11-17 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Haha gonna try! Definitely hit me up when you get here, I'll show you the best places, group rides/runs etc!
2011-11-18 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3906460

User image

Master
New Jersey
ShawnFromNorfolk - 2011-11-17 7:42 PM

You probably just have tendinitis. I originally hurt mine last Fall during my training for NYC Marathon - completed that and probably shouldn't have. I've had tendinitis before and it goes away soon enough - this feels similar except it simply hasn't been healing, even though I went through the usual rest/ice/advil/etc. Plus I got a noticeable bump on the tendon.

2011-11-19 6:42 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Hi there - popped in to see what everyone's trainings looking like. Doing IMLP this year and following Jorge's plan - kinda - and trying not to gain oodles of lbs. during the holidays. The less lbs I've got to haul up those hills, the better. 

I wanted to offer up a training camp that we're doing up in LP the weekend of June 8-10th.  It's our 5th year running it - it's on the LP course but it would be great timing for IMNYC also. Hills are good!!! If you're interested, PM me or you can go to our website, start-tri.com or find us on FB. 

2011-11-23 8:01 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
More or less, just wanted to bump this thread up.

So...questions for you all...

Why did you choose Ironman NYC?
How many IM's have you completed?
2011-11-23 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3912866

User image

Master
New Jersey
And i'll answer first...

Was debating doing a second IM and was considering Lake Placid again, but this one's in my backyard. And in spite of the entrance fee, it actually will be less costly than going up to LP. Not too thrilled about the logistics and that it's in August, but just felt like it was meant to be... "You don't go to Ironman; Ironman comes to you."

1 - Lake Placid

2011-11-23 8:13 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
runnerx - 2011-11-23 9:01 AM

More or less, just wanted to bump this thread up.

So...questions for you all...

Largely for logistical reasons for me - even though the registration was more expensive than other races, I figured total cost would work out to be less for me than other IM options.

This will be #1! I'll reserve judgement on whether or not there will ever be a #2 until after the race
2011-11-23 8:42 AM

User image

Ozone Park, New York

runnerx - 2011-11-23 9:01 AM More or less, just wanted to bump this thread up. So...questions for you all... Why did you choose Ironman NYC? How many IM's have you completed?

Same reasons, cheaper overall for me. I live in nyc so no need to travel and go through the stress of bringing bike through the airport. This will be my first Ironman. Lets see how it goes!

2011-11-23 9:41 AM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
runnerx - 2011-11-23 7:01 AM

This will be my 2nd, after doing Coeur D'Alene earlier this year. I will probably do Leadman Las Vegas in May, which is pseudo-Iron distance, but I haven't decided for certain yet. I chose IMNYC because it's close to my family, and it's a chance to do a big race where I grew up. I've had a goal to do the NYC Marathon for a long time, but was never fit enough to even attempt it. Then I got into tris a couple of years ago and am now fit enough, but the marathon has gotten nearly impossible to get into. So IMNYC became a great replacement for the marathon goal, particularly the bike ride up and down the Palisades, right past exit 10 where we used to live. I'm psyched, and so are my wife and son who get to spend a few days in the city.
2011-11-23 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3912892

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH

runnerx - 2011-11-23 9:06 AM And i'll answer first... Why did you choose Ironman NYC? Was debating doing a second IM and was considering Lake Placid again, but this one's in my backyard. And in spite of the entrance fee, it actually will be less costly than going up to LP. Not too thrilled about the logistics and that it's in August, but just felt like it was meant to be... "You don't go to Ironman; Ironman comes to you." How many IM's have you completed? 1 - Lake Placid

This will hopefully be IM #5 for me.  I am doing IM St. George in May as well.  I chose this race because it was close to home and because of the extra Kona slots.  I will be hoping to pick up a slot at St. George, but if not, I will really be going for it with this one.

I'm not thrilled about swimming in the Hudson, but in general I think this going to be a great event.  I think we'll look back someday and be honored to have been involved in the inaugural racing of this race.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and their families!

2011-11-23 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ

runnerx - 2011-11-23 9:01 AM More or less, just wanted to bump this thread up. So...questions for you all... Why did you choose Ironman NYC? How many IM's have you completed?

This will be my first IM.  And I picked it becasue of the location.  I live in South Jersey but am originally from North/Central Jersey. 

2011-11-23 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
2nd and a half for me, did IMFL and Chesapeakeman Aqua Velo

Like others chose mostly for closeness to home, family in NYC, and inagural race! Also hoping to KQ!
2011-11-23 9:25 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

runnerx - 2011-11-23 10:01 PM More or less, just wanted to bump this thread up. So...questions for you all... Why did you choose Ironman NYC? How many IM's have you completed?

I chose NYC because I have a ton of family out on Long Island and this will be a sure fire way to get me up there to see them all after our 3 year tour in Japan.  Also, it's going to be one heck of an event.

If all goes as planned this will be IM #6

IMFL 08, IM Japan 09, IMLP 10, IMOZ 11, IMTX 12, IMNYC 12

2011-11-24 7:44 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning IM NYC Team and Happy Thanksgiving.

This will be my first IM after just getting into the sport last year and doing a number of sprints to get my feet wet. I have made friends with the leader of my mentor group on here and he somehow convinced me to try it. He has done 5 so far I think. There are a lot of races closer to me here in Windsor Ontario Canada but I have never been to New York City and this should be a real neat experience since it is the first one, so I decided I might as well give it a go.

Enjoy the day.

KC 

2011-11-25 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3913775

User image

Williamstown, South Jersey

runnerx - 2011-11-23 10:01 PM More or less, just wanted to bump this thread up. So...questions for you all... Why did you choose Ironman NYC? How many IM's have you completed?

A friend called me right before registration opened and convinced me this was a good IM to jump in on since it is local. I live in South Jersey and this will give some friends/family an opportunity to see an IM event and may be catch a glimpse of me.

This will be my second. Already looking at 2013, thinking Arizona!!

2011-11-30 9:30 AM

User image

Orlando

This will be my 2nd Ironman.  I raced St. George this past May.  I chose this race because I was coming off the high from St. George and wanted to do another Ironman and heard about this inaugural race. I talked to quite a few athletes with multiple Ironman experience and they generally seem to concur that there is something extra special about doing inaugural races...even though logistics sometimes suck.  For 2012 inaugural races it was this or Mont Tremblanc and I just figured NYC sounded cooler.  I ran the NYC Marathon last year and the crowd support was spectactular. I'll be hoping for a similar environment for this race.

2011-11-30 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3920384

User image

Master
New Jersey
Mirdban...having run NYC Marathon 5x, unfortunately I'd suggest not to get your hopes up too much for a similar atmosphere. We're in NYC only for the last miles. The marathon goes through many neighborhoods whereas we'll mostly be on a highway. I still think the Ironman in NYC aspect will be great, but just not as great as having literally 2million people along the route as the marathon has.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27