General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2012-01-06 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3911896

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona : Official Thread
Just booked my hotel......oh boy cant wait for the fun to begin......

2012-01-06 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3969039

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
Destroyer - 2012-01-03 2:26 PM There's really not much to see on this bike course.  In my option you'd be better off saving the money and using it to buy and extra burrito after a long training ride, unless you have a computrainer that's going to adjust resistance for you.

@Destroyer - After watching 8 minutes of the Course Video demo, I think I agree with you.  Bike course seems to be, well it's not particularly note worthy.  This does not make it any easier.  The course contour appear to be predictable.  Outbound is up, inbound is down, repeat three times until you're done.

Cheers
2012-01-06 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3975275

User image

Fit4Infinity - 2012-01-06 11:02 AM
Destroyer - 2012-01-03 2:26 PM There's really not much to see on this bike course.  In my option you'd be better off saving the money and using it to buy and extra burrito after a long training ride, unless you have a computrainer that's going to adjust resistance for you.

@Destroyer - After watching 8 minutes of the Course Video demo, I think I agree with you.  Bike course seems to be, well it's not particularly note worthy.  This does not make it any easier.  The course contour appear to be predictable.  Outbound is up, inbound is down, repeat three times until you're done.

Cheers

I'm wondering why it's a 2 disc set....  it's 3 identical loops.  The hardest part about IMAZ IMO is being in aero for almost the entire 112.

2012-01-06 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3975299

User image

Expert
Lost in the Evergreens
ChrisM - 2012-01-06 11:11 AM

Cheers

I'm wondering why it's a 2 disc set....  it's 3 identical loops.  The hardest part about IMAZ IMO is being in aero for almost the entire 112.

The RealRide instructions said "If you want to ride the entire course you have to watch the 2-disc set 3 times."  uuuuggggly.

What does the spinervals video look like?

edit> PS: some of my friends train Cda using the RealRoad IMCdA video and have voiced positive comments.  Maybe it's the nature of the course.  Where IMAZ on the beeline there is not much visual to break the course into mental chunks. Other than the turn around at shay and the 2nd turnaround near t2, the course is sorta featureless.

Edited by Fit4Infinity 2012-01-06 4:56 PM
2012-01-08 2:11 AM
in reply to: #3975299

SoCal

Cheers

im actually headed to tempe at the end of march for a dragon boat tournament.  iirc, my dragon boat racing will occur in the same area as our swim start.  since i'll be in the area, i'm planning on staying an extra day and bringing my bike along to do one loop of the course.  unfortunately, i dont have anything to use to record my ride.

and probably drive the run portion at some point during the weekend, if i can.

but i've also read it's relatively flat and pretty fast

2012-01-08 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3975748

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

Cheers

What does the spinervals video look like?

I just ordered the Spinervals video.  Its a beautiful day here today, so I'm going outside to ride.  I'll probably end up watching the video for a trainer ride during the week, so I'll post some impressions.

2012-01-09 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3977616

User image

Expert
violation - 2012-01-08 2:11 AM

Cheers

im actually headed to tempe at the end of march for a dragon boat tournament.  iirc, my dragon boat racing will occur in the same area as our swim start.  since i'll be in the area, i'm planning on staying an extra day and bringing my bike along to do one loop of the course.  unfortunately, i dont have anything to use to record my ride.

You won't be able to drive the run portion as much of it is on the trail that goes around Tempe Town Lake.  I ran part of it when I was there this year to volunteer.  The part I ran was pancake flat, but I heard there is a "hill" on the backside.  I know the definition of "hill" means different things to different people.

I have the spinervals IMAZ course but have not viewed it yet.  I'm hoping to do so in the next couple of weeks and I'll post thoughts at that point.  It was a Christmas gift and I figure if nothing else can at least get me motivated to be on the course.

2012-01-09 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3979458

User image

Expert
San Jose
bar92 - 2012-01-09 7:09 AM
violation - 2012-01-08 2:11 AM

Cheers

You won't be able to drive the run portion as much of it is on the trail that goes around Tempe Town Lake.  I ran part of it when I was there this year to volunteer.  The part I ran was pancake flat, but I heard there is a "hill" on the backside.  I know the definition of "hill" means different things to different people.

I have the spinervals IMAZ course but have not viewed it yet.  I'm hoping to do so in the next couple of weeks and I'll post thoughts at that point.  It was a Christmas gift and I figure if nothing else can at least get me motivated to be on the course.

I did SOMA in Tempe this past year and if it's the same hill that people are talking about, it's taking you from the lake level up to the bridge level. I know part of the run course is the same but I'm not certain that this is the hill people are talking about The rest is pretty flat which is good

2012-01-09 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

The hill everyone refers to is Curry Rd on the north side of the lake.  It is about .4 miles uphill (I do not know the actual grade, but it is a good uphill run), then you catch the downhill making your way back to run along the north side of the lake.  If you Google Map the Tempe area north of the lake (Curry Rd and 68th St/College Ave), that is where the uphill starts (running west), then you take Lake View Rd back downhill and under the bridge (202 Fwy).  Use the street view (little yellow/orange guy) on Google Maps to get a true look at the hill.

I saw many people walking the hill this last year (IM AZ 2011), but then again I saw people walking the whole course, so I do not think the hill made anyone really worry too much.  I was able to run it on all three loops.  The downhill is actually harder than the uphill, in my opinion.  Definitely more fun, but harder on the knees and feet.

As for the bike course, it really is pretty basic, and not too scenic overall (and I live here, so I would not purposely ridicule any landscape).  Having ridden it often, I made note of certain things (buildings, other) that I used as my "milestones", outside of the different streets and turns.  The route goes over two (2) canals, and above each are white/orange marking balls along the power lines.  They look like fishing bobbers in the air, and you can see them a ways off, so I always look for them as a motivator and milestone.  Between McDowell Rd and the AZ canal on Beeline Hwy is an old building that used to be part of a local race track (eons ago - east side of Beeline Hwy), and I look for that too.  On the return to Tempe Town Lake, just west of Beeline on McDowell is a 3-4ft high telephone pole (n side of McDowell Rd) that someone decorates, dresses up, etc in different seasons.  So it is fun to look for it and see how it is decorated.  Outside of those, there are not many markers to note, other than the different street turns, freeways and bridges you pass by or go under.  Those may sound odd, but hey, when you are riding 76-112 miles on the same terrain over and over, you have to find anything to make it interesting.  HA HA

2012-01-09 1:35 PM
in reply to: #3975212

SoCal

Jorgito22 - 2012-01-06 10:41 AM Just booked my hotel......oh boy cant wait for the fun to begin......

hm.. how long are you staying? i'm contemplating arriving on Wednesday and staying through Monday.  Not really sure what people usually do tho, so any input would be appreciated!

2012-01-10 7:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: Busy season anxiety...
I'm just venting, sure that others are in the same boat or worse. I got the tri bug last May, after my busy season at work ended and made some good progress in building a base and racing 2 sprints and an olympic. Signed up for IMAZ and a HIM in June and am now facing some harsh realities.Setback #1 -laid down my bike on 12/11 on an icey downhill, seperating my shoulder (AC) and some nice looking road rash. Im back on track with moderate trainer rides and slow running, but still can't swim worth a damn.Setback #2 - busy season at the job started today. Last year that meant 70+ hours/week for 4 months and sleeping in NYC hotels 3 nights a week to save on the commuting time. 70.3 in June is looking longer and longer. If only they would let me set up my trainer on the train, I could pick up 2.5 hrs a day...Sorry about the pity party, just freaking out a little.

2012-01-10 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3982862

Regular
Crofton, MD
Subject: RE: Busy season anxiety...
bdenehy - 2012-01-10 7:39 PM

I'm just venting, sure that others are in the same boat or worse. I got the tri bug last May, after my busy season at work ended and made some good progress in building a base and racing 2 sprints and an olympic. Signed up for IMAZ and a HIM in June and am now facing some harsh realities.Setback #1 -laid down my bike on 12/11 on an icey downhill, seperating my shoulder (AC) and some nice looking road rash. Im back on track with moderate trainer rides and slow running, but still can't swim worth a damn.Setback #2 - busy season at the job started today. Last year that meant 70+ hours/week for 4 months and sleeping in NYC hotels 3 nights a week to save on the commuting time. 70.3 in June is looking longer and longer. If only they would let me set up my trainer on the train, I could pick up 2.5 hrs a day...Sorry about the pity party, just freaking out a little.

Its a long season, don't worry about your injury just yet. Just be ready by the end of june to pick it up (if you miss your half, no biggee, find another in august). I am not starting my training for IMAZ until the end of June for fear of Burnout!!! Other than doing short runs, having fun on the bike, mixing in a bunch of mtn biking to build core, and have not swam since IMLP, I am going to come back refreshed. I am still watching what I eat so I dont put on the lbs, but other than that, I am just having fun. No need to start worrying about your training until the end of June. You will be fine as long as you heal...jb
2012-01-12 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3980137

User image

Veteran
violation - 2012-01-09 2:35 PM

Jorgito22 - 2012-01-06 10:41 AM Just booked my hotel......oh boy cant wait for the fun to begin......

hm.. how long are you staying? i'm contemplating arriving on Wednesday and staying through Monday.  Not really sure what people usually do tho, so any input would be appreciated!

Im doing exactly that.....arriving Wednesday for early check in than leaving Monday afternoon.....

2012-01-12 7:09 PM
in reply to: #3980137

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
violation - 2012-01-09 2:35 PM

Wednesday to Wednesday. Going to make a vacation out of it, but be home for Turkey day. As its family time, that will mean spending the minimum amount of time at the race site, except for the actual race, of course
2012-01-15 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Thursday through Monday for me.  Driving from San Diego.
2012-01-18 8:22 AM

User image

Expert

How is everyone doing?  Anyone doing any early season racing?

I'm hoping to do a 70.3 in April if it works with the kids' schedules of soccer and volleyball.

2012-01-18 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran

ugly mudder trail race in February than the Ocean Drive Marathon in March.....than its time to focus on Arizona for me...Got some fun 5k's too.  But my tri's will begin in June with Philly sprint, than an oly in August and diamond man in Sept, leading up to Arizona.....cant wait 

2012-01-18 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Below is my game plan. Just finished Houston; hurt my back in December and missed some long runs so I just did the half. Beat my PR by 5 min with a 2:19:34 not fast but good enough for this fat boy.
2012-01-18 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

I have now watched most of the Spinnervals Arizona course video.  As noted above, there isn't much to it.  I know there are some shallow grades on the course that might be considered "climbs," and that will likely hurt me at some point, but on the video its hard to tell where they are, and the course looks like it is almost entirely flat.   Seems like the real key is being comfortable in an aero position and being able to lock into that position for almost the duration.

Happy training!

2012-01-19 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3996949

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN

brooksinc1976 - 2012-01-18 9:26 AM Below is my game plan. Just finished Houston; hurt my back in December and missed some long runs so I just did the half. Beat my PR by 5 min with a 2:19:34 not fast but good enough for this fat boy.

Maybe I'll see you at Alcatraz!  Do you have anything planned or potential races between Alcatraz and AZ?  About halfway between those two I'm hoping to find a HIM to do, otherwise looks like a nice relaxed schedule so you can focus on training for AZ.

2012-01-19 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3997367

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
kmac1346 - 2012-01-18 11:56 AM

I have now watched most of the Spinnervals Arizona course video.  As noted above, there isn't much to it.  I know there are some shallow grades on the course that might be considered "climbs," and that will likely hurt me at some point, but on the video its hard to tell where they are, and the course looks like it is almost entirely flat.   Seems like the real key is being comfortable in an aero position and being able to lock into that position for almost the duration.

Happy training!

You hit the nail on the head.  The "uphill" is gradual until you get to the upper parts of Beeline Hwy, then it starts to incline a bit more, but never a real "hill" as we have come to define them.

This course provides great opportunity to be in aero for the entire race (except for turn around points, obviously).  Even many of the standard turns can be taken in aero if it is not crowded at the bend.  I planned on being in aero for a good portion in 2011, and was impressed that I remained in it for more than 95%.

2012-01-19 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3999757

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
101abp40 - 2012-01-19 12:49 PM

You hit the nail on the head.  The "uphill" is gradual until you get to the upper parts of Beeline Hwy, then it starts to incline a bit more, but never a real "hill" as we have come to define them.

This course provides great opportunity to be in aero for the entire race (except for turn around points, obviously).  Even many of the standard turns can be taken in aero if it is not crowded at the bend.  I planned on being in aero for a good portion in 2011, and was impressed that I remained in it for more than 95%.

Did you accomplish this by spending hours on end on your trainer in the aero position or riding for hours in that position?  Or by a good set of core strength exercises?  Or both?

2012-01-19 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Woodland Hills, CA
If you have to ask, then you probably need to schedule a bike fit.  Getting a fit is amazing and should put you in a sweet spot for max comfort and power.  Make sure your fitter knows you'll be doing a full iron and they should lean toward comfort and give up a bit of power, but it will be an overall gain to stay aero and comfortable.
2012-01-19 8:49 PM

SoCal

i'm doing super seal olympic in march as my early race.

in an  other thread, i discussed my slow swimming. i'm happy to report i now have a swim coach. hope to start that in 2-3 weeks. in time to improve my technique for my march race and definitely become a stronger swimmer by november!

excited.

2012-01-20 7:55 AM
in reply to: #4000660

User image

Expert
Alexandria, MN
violation - 2012-01-19 8:49 PM

i'm doing super seal olympic in march as my early race.

in an  other thread, i discussed my slow swimming. i'm happy to report i now have a swim coach. hope to start that in 2-3 weeks. in time to improve my technique for my march race and definitely become a stronger swimmer by november!

excited.

If you're interested, Schwaggle has 50% Total Immersion swim package right now.  $40 for the book and two DVD's I think.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Arizona : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 70