Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-12-27 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3955935

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Subject: RE: Team KiterChick - CLOSED

That's not making it fun Cry  I would really like to be able to run and not be in pain.

Try to keep your head up.  It will get better.  

2011-12-27 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3942327

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Thanks guys, bike is fitted (mate owns a bike shop), and wearing bike pants, so i guess it is a suck it up moment! Thanks so much for your prompt replies
2011-12-27 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3955935

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
kussmaul - 2011-12-27 3:24 PM

I hope everyone had a great Christmas!  

I am super frustrated.   I have had ongoing achilles issues - last fall I did a round of PT and was better at the end.  Of course I was not running.  I was okay when I started back for awhile but after a few months they started to both me again.  Certain shoes were better, but those tended to cause heel pain.  My goal was to get through my HM and then try to address my issues.  My sports medicine doctor and PT are both runners/triathletes and specialize in runners.  I started PT 2 weeks ago and hip imbalances and ankle instabilities.  I am starting to work on those.  As I am fixing one issues, something else starts to hurt.  Even though he warned me it will happen, I feel like I am going backwards.  I am allowed to run, but only very slow and easy, focusing on my mechanics.  That's not making it fun Cry  I would really like to be able to run and not be in pain.

Teddie, dealing with those injuries has to be frustrating. It sounds like you're in good hands at least. I know it's rough to take it easy when you just want to get out there and run. I hope things get better soon. At least it's the off season!

2011-12-27 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3956064

User image

Veteran

alburyscott - 2011-12-27 3:04 PM Thanks guys, bike is fitted (mate owns a bike shop), and wearing bike pants, so i guess it is a suck it up moment! Thanks so much for your prompt replies

Kind of got in the conversation a little late here. But have you considered/tried a different seat? There are some seats that are made just for males and some that are unisex but still great. You mentioned that you are currently riding a mountain bike, did the fit seem to help? Hope all works out for you.

2011-12-27 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa

Talking about saddles. A month or so ago I decided to change the saddle on my Felt B12. The one that comes with the bike is the only aspect I did not like at all about it. 

I got a test saddle from my LBS, an ISM Adamo Racing, I tried it for a couple of weeks and I liked the saddle, but I was getting soreness on my shoulders. Basically what happened is that the position on the saddle and height were slightly different from my previous one. I moved it back one position (to reduce pressure on shoulders) and now it feels much better. This Friday I am going in to replace the test saddle with the new one I am getting and to fine-tune the fit to make sure everything is perfect.

This shows how small changes in positioning can make a huge difference, and how important it is to get fitted right. 

2011-12-27 8:02 PM

User image

Veteran

My first bike, the one that's on the trainer now, I took a not-so-lucky guess on my size. Turns out I was not even close to being correct. Once again getting a good bike along with a bike fit makes a huge difference. I did do my first year of tri's on my Denali, my trustly Pacific saddle is what make the rides bearable. I just love that saddle. I plan on moving it when I get my next bike.

On a different note I just signed up for my first race of the year! Its the Red Flannel Run in Des Monies, IA. This will be my third year doing it. This race is like a "Welcome to the race season" party more than anything. There are a few people who take is seriously but most of us just cruise along at a comfortable pace and enjoy looking at the different costoms people showed up in. Last year I did the 5 miles in a little over 48 minutes, my goal for this year is to do it in 45 or less.

2011-12-28 9:48 AM

User image

New user

Hope everyone continues to get some good training in.  I'll be off to Florida for a week of skydiving and enjoying some stress free time with friends.  I don't think I'll be able to stick to my nutrition plan as well down there.  I'm bringing my running shoes though so i can still get a few runs in hopefully along the beach.  

I realized something this morning while on the trainer again though.  I noticed that on my Tri bike, it feels like a get a bit of numbness in my manly parts.  I'm assuming this is either a seating position thing, or possibly the seat itself.  Any of the guys ever have a problem like that?  I think I might demo a few saddles and swap it out if I find a more comfortable one.

Another thing I've noticed is that despite my using the trainer and running, watching my nutrition...it doesn't seem like I'm losing any weight.  Over the summer when I was out on the bike a lot, the pounds fell off.  Some of them have come back and it seems like no combination of training right now is taking them off.  Is it just a winter thing?  Hopefully they'll drop off again once I can get back outside running and riding.  I'll also be swimming more once I get back from Florida!

Have a safe new year everyone!

Shane

Edited by firemedic001918 2011-12-28 10:00 AM
2011-12-28 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3957424

User image

Veteran
Tampa

Hi Shane,

Hope you have a good time here in Florida. It doesn't surprise me that you feel like that after using the trainer. The fact that your bike does not move increases the saddle discomfort, no matter how good the fit is. What I would recommend is to ride outside and see if you feel the same discomfort or not. That should give you a clearer indication of whether you need to investigate changing saddle or toying with your fit. If riding outside feels good, then you just need to build your time in the trainer progressively to limit the discomfort.

Happy New Year everyone!

Sebastian

2011-12-28 3:02 PM

User image

Expert

Ugh.

Work has been insane the past two weeks  16 hr days are going to kill me.  That being said,  I haven't got ONE work out in in 2 weeks. 

Blah.

Hope you all are doing well!

2011-12-28 5:49 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Shane, how have your stress levels been? Increased cortisol levels (stress hormone) certainly get your body holding onto the fat (as does poor sleep patterns)
2011-12-28 6:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Good call everyone who mentioned specific saddle issues could lead to discomfort as well. I definitely swapped out the seat that came with my road bike because if was very uncomfortable. I'm sure if you broached the subject with someone at your LBS, they would have several options that may be an improvement.

Shane, how much time were you putting in on the road versus what you're doing on your trainer now? Are you wearing a HR monitor? Do you know if you're burning comparable total calories now? Perhaps the trainer workouts simply feel like they're just as grueling, but ultimately, you're putting in less time and/or effort compared to your rides outside. Regardless, I would guess that you should go back to burning it off again once things warm up so be patient. Also, have fun in FL!

Tyler, 16 hour days? That's rough! I'm not surprised you haven't been finding time to workout lately. Hopefully that's not a situation that's going to continue indefinitely...

No time to workout yesterday and today for me, but I'll definitely be getting in a run and/or ride tomorrow. Diet's been mixed lately too. Trying not to feel guilty, and just enjoy my final week before I start my Oly training plan next week!

2011-12-28 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3958177

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA

Greetings to everyone from South Carolina!  Its so nice to get out of MA for a few days and see my family and let my daughter, Eliza, get re-acquainted with her cousins.  It definitely makes the post-holiday travel worth it.

Looks like I may take some of the same advice on the saddle and get the bike back outside again.  When I bought my Cervelo last spring, I switched from the stock saddle to a Specialized tri saddle with the cutout (don't remember the name), and it worked great throughout the summer.  But since I have moved the tri bike onto the trainers its been miserable- front of the saddle, back of the saddle, middle of the saddle- i hate it.  Time to get it outside and see if its just me needing suck it or up, or if I truly dislike the thing.

On the plus side got a brutal 6 mile run in today in the neighborhoods around my parents house.  The hills around Paris Mountain are tough (and i was only on the small ones).

2011-12-28 11:22 PM

User image

New user

Hello from Florida!

I've been averaging 45 minutes to an hour on the trainer.  Not as long as I had been riding typically, but with more frequency.  Maybe it's just that I haven't been doing any of the long 2-3 hour rides that I was doing this summer.  Once we get back to warmer weather again I'll see if the weight comes off.

As for the saddle, I've only gotten to ride the tri bike out on the road a few times.  I never noticed it when I was on the road with it but my longest road ride is 15 miles or so.  As the weather gets better I'll get out on the road more for sure and see how it develops.  Hopefully it won't be an issue.

On to happier news...apparently my shop found someone to take advantage of the Cervelo buy two bikes sale that's going on.  This means I have a 2012 Cervelo coming to sit next to my 2011 Cervelo P2.  I enjoy having both bikes and I couldn't pass up a deal like that.  Now I have to sell my 2011 Felt Z6 to help get some of the costs back.  

If anyone knows of someone looking for a good road bike to start out on, or an upgrade depending on what they have send them my way.  It's a 2011 Felt Z6 with about 650 road miles and about 100 miles on the trainer.  Bike's in great condition and always stored inside.  The frame is a 58cm frame.  I'm 6'2" and the bike was recently fit for me.  $1000-1200 would make me happy for it.  I have all of the original paperwork from when I bought it over the summer.

Thanks for the constant feedback.  I'll be out for a run tomorrow morning before I go skydiving for the day followed by some beers at night.  Enjoy!

Shane

2011-12-29 3:40 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Ok, more noob question. What do you guys recomend in regards to earphones for training. I have some ear buds, but they come loose a lot when running. I am digging on my iphone and runkeeper, but i am sick of constantly having to push tge buds back in. <br><br>So what do you guys use and find good.
2011-12-29 5:50 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Oh one more (sorry). I am not a pretty sight in lycra, at all. Are tri shorts ok to swim on, then a t shirt and im set for the rest of the race? Or should i suck it up and wear a full suit?<br><br>Thanks again all
2011-12-29 6:10 AM
in reply to: #3958674

User image

Expert
KiterChick - 2011-12-28 6:41 PM

Tyler, 16 hour days? That's rough! I'm not surprised you haven't been finding time to workout lately. Hopefully that's not a situation that's going to continue indefinitely...

Today should be the last day.  Then I will for sure be hitting the gym hard.  & my logs won't be empty anymore!!!

2011-12-29 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3959105

User image

Veteran
Tampa

alburyscott - 2011-12-29 4:40 AM Ok, more noob question. What do you guys recomend in regards to earphones for training. I have some ear buds, but they come loose a lot when running. I am digging on my iphone and runkeeper, but i am sick of constantly having to push tge buds back in.

So what do you guys use and find good.

I have tried many different earphones. I have 2 recommendations:

1) Sennheiser CX380 Sport Series II Noise Isolating Earbuds: These stay on for the most part. If you are running in 90 degree heat and sweating a lot they are going to fall off occasionally. The sound quality is outstanding!

2) Motorola SF200 Sports Headphones: These always stay on, since they use a hook over the ear. They are extremely comfortable, and you pretty much forget they are on your ear. There are two aspects that may bother you. One is that the soft shells won't stay in some people's ear (that is my case). Even though this happens to me, the earphones stay on and I have no trouble using them. Actually, these are the earphones I use for running. The second "problem" is that the sound quality is not as crisp as the Sennheiser's, but since I use them mostly to listen to podcasts, this is not a major issue either.

Hope this helps.

2011-12-29 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3959137

User image

Veteran
Tampa

alburyscott - 2011-12-29 6:50 AM Oh one more (sorry). I am not a pretty sight in lycra, at all. Are tri shorts ok to swim on, then a t shirt and im set for the rest of the race? Or should i suck it up and wear a full suit?

Thanks again all

Tri shorts are perfectly fine to swim on. Regarding using a t-shirt for the rest of the race, plenty of people do it and you would be set doing this. The drawback is that you won't be as comfortable with a t-shirt compared to a tri top and of course you are going to generate a little more drag on the bike. If your issue is only with the tri-short vs. swimsuit, I would say use thr tri-short during the swim and then use a tri top for the rest.

In my case, I wear a full suit and love it, but that;s because this particular tri suit (the Desoto Liftfoil) fits me well. Some people have to use separate tri shorts and top to get the fit right. 

2011-12-29 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3959163

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA
sebaf74 - 2011-12-29 7:30 AM

alburyscott - 2011-12-29 6:50 AM Oh one more (sorry). I am not a pretty sight in lycra, at all. Are tri shorts ok to swim on, then a t shirt and im set for the rest of the race? Or should i suck it up and wear a full suit?

Thanks again all

Tri shorts are perfectly fine to swim on. Regarding using a t-shirt for the rest of the race, plenty of people do it and you would be set doing this. The drawback is that you won't be as comfortable with a t-shirt compared to a tri top and of course you are going to generate a little more drag on the bike. If your issue is only with the tri-short vs. swimsuit, I would say use thr tri-short during the swim and then use a tri top for the rest.

In my case, I wear a full suit and love it, but that;s because this particular tri suit (the Desoto Liftfoil) fits me well. Some people have to use separate tri shorts and top to get the fit right. 

x2 on the full suit- it work great for me, but I have seen just about everything at races- tri shorts for the swim and: a tshirt for everything else, a tight fitting tri-top, or even a sleeveless compression shirt (something like an UA baselayer).  Whatever makes you the most comfortable is key.

I am such a klutz that trying to put on a shirt while I'm wet is a fairly comical sight, which is one of the reasons I opted for the tri suit.

2011-12-29 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
I normally wear a trisuit as well.  For me it makes transitions easier.  No need changing anything but shoes.  
2011-12-29 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Good morning group! I'm jealous of those of you who are traveling to warm locations (yes, I'm talking to you, Shane and Will!), since it's 25 here now. I'll still be bundling up to head out on a nice 6M run this afternoon. I need to make up for taking the past two days off...

Shane, wow, and my friends thought I've been spending too much on bikes. I think I'll reference you next time that comes up. Seriously though, congratulations on the new setup! I don't personally know anyone in the market for your road bike, but you could try posting it on the classifieds section of this site, it's free. Now, if you have a Zipp 808 front clincher you're looking to unload, please let me know!

Scott, I love that you have so many questions, keep them coming! Similar to what Sebastian mentioned, I've used the Sony ones that hook around your ears. If you search Amazon for "sport headphones", you'll see a lot of examples and can read reviews too.

As for the t-shirt/trisuit issue, it sounds like a lot of the guys in our group vote for the suit. I ocassionally wear one, but I also had a tri top and shorts I would wear. You can swim in the tri tops too. The problem with changing in transition, as Will mentioned, is that putting dry clothes onto a wet body is harder than you'd think. It's a lot easier if you don't have to change clothes. Then again, if you don't mind adding a bit of extra time, and think you would feel a lot more comfortable in a t-shirt, you'll still fit in. You could always "upgrade" after your first race, depending on how you feel.

Tyler, good luck making it through your last long day! Sounds like you'll be able to start the new year on a positive note.

I thought I'd throw out a general point, that everyone may know, but is worth mentioning if that's in fact not the case: bike and tri shorts are meant to be worn without any underwear. Once again, this is likely old news to everyone, but I've found not everyone knows this in the beginning.

Have a great day everyone!

2011-12-29 10:29 AM

User image

Expert

Well I did it. 

I bit the bullet and signed up for my Olympic distance triathlon in September. 

I'm okay with my sprints in June, I know that I will be able to cover that distance..But an Olympic?  I am freaking out!!

Just venting...

2011-12-29 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3959822

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
RushTogether - 2011-12-29 11:29 AM

I'm okay with my sprints in June, I know that I will be able to cover that distance..But an Olympic?  I am freaking out!!

That's great Tyler! September is a long way off. You've got plenty of time between now and then to prepare, so no need to freak out. What race did you sign up for?

2011-12-29 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3960524

User image

Expert
KiterChick - 2011-12-29 2:29 PM
RushTogether - 2011-12-29 11:29 AM

That's great Tyler! September is a long way off. You've got plenty of time between now and then to prepare, so no need to freak out. What race did you sign up for?

Hy-Vee Triathlon in Des Moines, IA

2011-12-29 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3960655

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
That's right, you mentioned that before since I remember you and Hubbie are doing the same race. Sorry, I'm doing my best to remember everything about everyone, but there's only so much information my little brain can hold!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 22