BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-02 3:09 PM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! OPEN

Kinda based off of Kevins question - I was running this morning trying to stay in Z2 for a 45 minute run.  I was really struggling to do this after about 20 minutes and had to keep bumping the treadmill speed down.  

So I am assuming that over the course of this heart rate based program, the speed will come as I build my aerobic base. 

Brian - is that what you found while training last year using this program?

2012-01-02 3:14 PM

User image

Expert

I made a cheat sheet for me and can share if it helps keep everyone straight.  I am terrible with names and writing things down with some key points helps me remember.  Feel free to add additional key information like Blog/Website if you think it would help.  I also did not see a backgrounder for SkinnyArmBrian, perhaps you could add?

Razorxp : David

Mentor, USAT Coach, Findlay, OH

2012 A Race: IM Wisconson Sept 9th

KCgolf : Kevin

Mentor, Windsor Ontario area

A Race: IRONMAN US Championships NY August 11th

IceManScott : Scott

Normal, Ill, Cancer Survivor-Wow!  Former 400 lb’r – Double Wow!

A Race: Likely Branson 70.3 Sept 23rd.

Batlou : Brian

Former fat-smoker, low-carb, Louisville, KY, 4th year tri’ing

A Race:  IM Louisville Sept 26th

Blog:  http://www.theurbanprimate.com

SkinnyArmBrian : Brian

ManDown : Kevin

1st Sprint in Sept 2011

A Race:  HIM in May(?) - Did you already pick one out?

MaryA : Mary

ENT Resident, Jackson, MS, Tri’ing since 2010 (Sprint, Oly), Married to fellow BT’r

A Race: TBD, Possible Century ride and HIM in late 2012

Tmoran80 : Tim

Rockstar, Long time runner and recently began Tri's

A Race:  IM Wisc Sept 9th

Blog/Web: http://www.thetriathlonreport.com/

Cheekymonkeys1 :

Seitz1124 : Theresa

Works for a Mouse,  Orlando, FL, Long time athlete/runner

A Race: IM Florida Nov 3rd

Bearun : Jeff

College Athlete, North Al (Must be near the spaceship),  Lost 50-25 to go.  Roll Tide

A Race: IM Arizona November 18th

KeriKadi : Keri

Hurricane Ike, Lost weight, 5 kiddo’s, Nice back story on blog(read it last year)

A Race:  Planning mostly Sprint / Olympic for 2012

Blog: http://mamatris.blogspot.com/

MoniqueGriffith : Monique

Cancer Survivor, Awesome! First Sprint Tri last year.  Inspiring story, I’m in awe.

A Race:  Shamrock HM (May)

Niezels : Stijn

Ex-Football Player (American Style, Netherlands, quit smoking!  Want’s to drop 45 pounds.

A-Race: XL Triathlon of Gerardmer, France

2012-01-02 3:17 PM

User image

Expert
@Tim: ??I would love a copy, if for nothing else to help me modify the Matt Fitzgerald plan to an excel format for import.  My local tri club is planning to use this plan but I was just be lazy about adding to BT.
2012-01-02 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3966714

User image

Expert

Here is the spreadsheet - Just enter your start date or race date when importing

Batlou - 2012-01-02 3:17 PM @Tim: ??I would love a copy, if for nothing else to help me modify the Matt Fitzgerald plan to an excel format for import.  My local tri club is planning to use this plan but I was just be lazy about adding to BT.

Attachments
----------------
Don Fink Competative Plan 2012.csv (33KB - 34 downloads)
2012-01-02 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Hey team, I'll catch up on posts when I get to a real computer - - welcome to all the new team members! My quick update....... LP volunteers opened today. I will be a finish line catcher between 6pm - midnight. Guess this means.... Oh cr3p, my stomach is flip flopping at the thought!! Hehe
2012-01-02 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

LT test on the bike showed just 10% decay from IM level after two surgeries and a month missed and self coached for bout 6 weeks.  Not to shabby, I think.    Did 90 mins with 2 X 20 mins @ all out. 

Also, was back at the personal trainer for more kettlebells. Those are awesome.  What a great workout.  Everything from legs, glutes core and arms.  I feel like I finally found a strength exercise that makes sense and is efficient for time.  They are fun!

Tim, have you read Fit Soul Fit Body by Mark Allen and his shaman.  He says to run slow to get faster.   Burns fat and as the aerobic machine improves, your speed increases at the same effort.   Got to run slow though or you cross over to burning carbs and the point is gone.

Started the paleo thing yesterday.  High protein and fruit and veggies and low carbs.  Feel OK so far.  I did 2.5 hours today of harsh exercise on the bike and the bells and feel OK.

Have a great day.

2012-01-02 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3965805

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
MoniqueGriffith - 2012-01-02 1:56 AM

Hi there.  I'd love to join this group if it's still open.  Just read through the 4 pages of posts, and there seems to be some knowledgeable people here.  A little about me...

NAME: Monique

FAMILY STATUS: Married for almost 12 years.  1 daughter who is 7, and 2 boxers who are 9 and 11.

STORY: 39 years old. Just started working out in May of 2011 after several years of doing nothing physical.  Two months later, I got into triathlon training with a local group, including some coaches.  I was pretty much the slowest person in the group, but still finished a sprint triathlon in October.  I started exercising because I was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer and a 12cm mass in June 2010.  They originally told me I probably had 2-5 years to live as my type only has a 40% survival rate.  Well, screw that!  After several months of chemo, surgery, and rads, I'm now cancer free and have a second shot at life!!  So I'm working to take my health and mental well-being more seriously, and triathlon helps me to set goals and keep my focus.  Also, I am a stay-at-home mom now, having recently "retired" from being a workaholic running my own business.  So fortunately, my hubby is very supportive, and I now have plenty of time to train!!

CURRENT TRAINING:  (Sorry my logs aren't up to date.)  After the group training ended in October, I decided to focus on my running, which is awful. (I'd never even run a full mile in my life until a few months ago.)  I did a little training, and then ran a 10k on Thanksgiving.  I've never done that distance, and managed to somehow injure my hip flexor and spend a week on crutches.  I tend to get injured a lot, and it's really annoying.  So I hired a USAT coach to work with me once/week to help me learn how to train without getting hurt.   He's helping me to work on proper run form plus strength and stability.  I have almost no balance, strength or form, so it's no wonder I was getting hurt.

2011 RACES:  Golden State Triathlon (sprint) in October.  Slow, but not last - yay, me!  10k run in November.  Finished in 1:16:16.

2012 RACES:  Might do the Shamrock HM in March if my hip flexor will tolerate it.  Also planning a race the first weekend of June, but not sure if I'm going with the sprint or Oly.  I'd love to do an Oly this year, but not sure if I should wait til later in the season after I'm trained a bit more.

WEIGHT LOSS:  Went from about 205 a year ago down to 175.  Really need to be at about 145 for a good race weight.  Don't like making weight loss a primary goal, though.

Nice to meet you all, and I'm excited to be a part of a group.  I will also keep my logs up to date starting now. 

Welcome fellow cancer fighter.  You have the mantra down perfectly - Screw that!

Got into the bike to lose weight at 400 pounds in 2005.  Lost enough to get a physical in 2006 and yep, cancer. (That was the first time the bike saved me.)  Beat cancer, started raising money for LiveSTRONG, did solo tris and now weight 220, 11% body fat, cancer free 5.5 years, IronMan.  They only had to tell me once that I could reduce the odds of a rebout with C if I got in shape and stayed that way.  Welcome to the group.  If I can help in any way, let me know.  I'm on FB too, Scott Richardson.  Great group here.  Several from last year's group are carrying over.  Awesome support.  LiveSTRONG.

2012-01-02 4:39 PM
in reply to: #3966711

User image

Regular
Utrecht
Batlou - 2012-01-02 10:14 PM

I made a cheat sheet for me and can share if it helps keep everyone straight.  I am terrible with names and writing things down with some key points helps me remember.  Feel free to add additional key information like Blog/Website if you think it would help.  I also did not see a backgrounder for SkinnyArmBrian, perhaps you could add?

Sweet!!! I sure can use this.

2012-01-02 5:10 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Hope everyone had a great day. Life got in the way for me today Cry and I hate when that happens. Dishwasher broke (12 years old) so off I went to buy a new one. Took a bite out of my workout schedule and my new bike budget - which sucks! I am going to try and do some weights / Yoga and go for a swim but I really wanted to get a run in today and did not plan on spending a quck $600.00 - Oh Well - that new saddle may have to wait another pay check.

Brian - thanks for the list, great idea. I am sure CheekyMonkey Deb and SkinnyArm Brian will tell you there stories soon.

Tim - thanks for posting that link again. I have a question for you and everyone else. As I start to set up my IM schedule for the year, what do you do when you find a plan but consider your fitness level better than the start up of a plan? Should I make appropriate adjustments to the workout? If so, what should they be?

Deb - that is right you Cheekymonkey you - that means since you are working the finish line this year as a vol - you will be finishing across that line in 2013 as an IRONMAN Smile

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-02 5:15 PM
2012-01-02 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3966890

User image

Veteran
kcgolf - 2012-01-02 6:10 PM

Hey Team.

Hope everyone had a great day. Life got in the way for me today Cry and I hate when that happens. Dishwasher broke (12 years old) so off I went to buy a new one. Took a bite out of my workout schedule and my new bike budget - which sucks! I am going to try and do some weights / Yoga and go for a swim but I really wanted to get a run in today and did not plan on spending a quck $600.00 - Oh Well - that new saddle may have to wait another pay check.

Brian - thanks for the list, great idea. I am sure CheekyMonkey Deb and SkinnyArm Brian will tell you there stories soon.

Tim - thanks for posting that link again. I have a question for you and everyone else. As I start to set up my IM schedule for the year, what do you do when you find a plan but consider your fitness level better than the start up of a plan? Should I make appropriate adjustments to the workout? If so, what should they be?

Deb - that is right you Cheekymonkey you - that means since you are working the finish line this year as a vol - you will be finishing across that line in 2013 as an IRONMAN Smile

KC

I would be very careful of trying to add more to the IM plan.  You will be ready to do more now, but will get burned out if you continue to try to do more than prescribed.  I don't know what plan you went with (last I heard you were still deciding between a couple).  I know from last year that I could do more time and certainly more running effort, but I would have gotten burned out even faster had I tried.  I loved the Fink 30 week plan that Rockstar Tim sent out, and definitly reccommend it to anyone doing IM.

2012-01-02 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran

OK, my story...

Racing history - I am an adventure racer and runner at heart.  I have done close to 30 adventure races ranging from 3 hours to 24 hours.  Currently training for my 7th marathon.  PR'd in 2010 in Indy - 3:30:35.  Training for April 22 Toledo Marathon.  Using Runners World Smart Coach running plan to increase my speed and attempt to qualify for Boston.  Probably a pipedream, but going for it anyway.  So far I have been doing well with all the speed workouts and feel I am on track with the prescribed plan. 

I did a couple of sprint tris in 2010 and was coerced late in a holiday party last year to sign up for IM Louisville.  Great experience - worked hard, learned how to road bike, and finished in 15 seconds under my goal - 12:29:45, crossing the finish line with a training buddy.  Will do an olypic duistance and couple of sprints this season after getting through the marathon.

Not a real fan of long distance biking - (I like to celebrate oftenWink)

Family - I am married with 10 year old and 8 year old daughters and a 15 year ols stepson.  Have done adventure races with my 10 year old.  Each of my daughters has done at least 1 kids sprint tri.  My wife is a runner as well, just finished St Louis Marathon in October.  She is trying to get into tri's but has a real panic attack everytime she swims in a race.  I got her to join BT and get into a mentor group of her own so that she could gain some perspective form others.  (So, if you see a picture you don't recognize, it may be me forgetting to sign her off BT)

Have been a stay at home dad with my daughters for 10 years.  This week I am starting a position with an event management company that puts on marathons, half marathons, and mudathlons.  It is a great job for me combining my talent for event planning with my passion for running.  I will be in many of your hometowns this upcoming year - Chicago, Cleveland, Atlanta, Milwaukie, Madison, as well as Indy.

I am thrilled that this group stayed together.  A great part of my Louisville experience was having Dave and KC cheering me on during the run and at the finish line.  These are great guys that I look forward to rooting on as they continue their IM goals.  I will be going to Louisville again this year - so I will look to meeting you down there Brian.

Here is my IM video if you are interested... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQojI_prd8o

2012-01-02 7:21 PM

User image

Expert

Well today was a bust, been off for 10 days from work and needed to catch up on a few things before tomorrow.  Some things went bust while I was out so I have been tied to the computer for about 9 hours now.  Then our furnace stopped working...turns out it was only the flame sensor, phew.  A little sandpaper, cleanup and good as new.

Hopefully things will get back to normal tomorrow when I get back to work and back on a work schedule.

2012-01-02 7:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

If it's not too late, I would love to join this group! I have been busy with the holidays so I haven't been on here much in the last couple weeks.

NAME: Jenny

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 5 years, with a lizard named Mojo.

STORY: I did my first triathlon in 2007- I had blew out my knee playing soccer and I decided that through the rehab, my goal would be to participate in the Chicago Triathlon supersprint.  I did, and have been hooked ever since.  I have done many sprints, three Olympic distance tri's, a marathon, and a half ironman last summer.  This year I decided to tackle my first ironman, so I have started training for IMWI.  I am doing this race to show support for my mom, who has MS.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I just started official IM training today.  A friend of mine is helping me with my training for now (she did IMWI in 2009 and 2011) and I have a coach writing up a plan for the last 20 weeks of training. 

2011 RACES:  Instep Indoor Marathon Relay, Wisconsin Half Marathon, Elkhart Lake Sprint Triathlon, Pleasant Prairie Olympic Triathlon, Ironman Racine 70.3, Chicago Triathlon Olympic.

2012 RACES:  A bunch of 10k's, Door County Half Marathon, Elkhart Lake Sprint Triathlon, Pleasant Prairie Olympic Triathlon, Ironman Racine 20.3, Chicago Sprint Triathlon, Ironman WI

WEIGHT LOSS:  Definetely need to lose some of the offseason weight. 

2012-01-02 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

I'm in if theres room

Name:  Dave

Story:  Started Running in September of 2010 and ran a 5k race in October. As a reward I picked up a very used road bike that same day and decided that triathlon looked interesting. Over the winter I did the run focused Oly plan and in the processes signed up for the Muskoka HIM because I got a coupon for 20% off (CRAZY!) . For 2011 I did a couple of races and really enjoyed it. The HIM was a fantastic experience but I did suffer on the run as it has always been my weakness. For 2012 my first event will be a charity ride for cancer in June - 100miles day1 then 100km day 2. I have also given thought to doing the same races I did last year to see if I can see any improvements. I might throw a Xterra into the mix as well.

Family Status:
  Married with 2 kids. I will be working away from home for 4 months M-F coming home on weekends. I am unsure if this is going to help my training or hinder it. Part of the reason I am working away from home is to help care for my dad who is in the later stages of fighting cancer.

Weightloss:
  currently around 180lbs but hit a low of about 168lbs in the spring. Would like to be closer to that 170lb mark.

Training: 
I want to work on my running but also have a good base for the bike for the ride in June. I need to pick a plan asap that will address both these goals. A very full schedule make training hard so I need to get focused!

Other Stuff: Currently in school for Electrical Engineering, Snowboarder for 20+ years, Whitewater kayaker for about 10 years.

2012-01-02 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Jenny & Dave welcome,

I have to check with KC but I think you might be our last two member as if it gets too big its hard to control what is going on and if you miss 1 day your 2 pages behind.  

Well my training starts tomorrow and I might even hit the pool (for the newer members I am not much of a swimmer)

2012-01-02 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3966746

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-01-02 4:33 PM Hey team, I'll catch up on posts when I get to a real computer - - welcome to all the new team members! My quick update....... LP volunteers opened today. I will be a finish line catcher between 6pm - midnight. Guess this means.... Oh cr3p, my stomach is flip flopping at the thought!! Hehe

That would be the best job except for the people puking! lol  Just seeing how happy most are would make the night fly by.  just think you will be finishing in 2013!

2012-01-02 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3967123

User image

Expert

Welcome to the group Jenny - We are gonna have have a little group for IMWI this September.   I plan on doing a couple of training rides in Madison this summer - Scott and Sarah are in also too (I think?)

Speaking of which - should we hold a spot for Sarah?

Good luck with your IM plan.  What plan are you using? - I am not starting officially until Feb. 13

Jennifers - 2012-01-02 7:43 PM

If it's not too late, I would love to join this group! I have been busy with the holidays so I haven't been on here much in the last couple weeks.

NAME: Jenny

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 5 years, with a lizard named Mojo.

STORY: I did my first triathlon in 2007- I had blew out my knee playing soccer and I decided that through the rehab, my goal would be to participate in the Chicago Triathlon supersprint.  I did, and have been hooked ever since.  I have done many sprints, three Olympic distance tri's, a marathon, and a half ironman last summer.  This year I decided to tackle my first ironman, so I have started training for IMWI.  I am doing this race to show support for my mom, who has MS.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I just started official IM training today.  A friend of mine is helping me with my training for now (she did IMWI in 2009 and 2011) and I have a coach writing up a plan for the last 20 weeks of training. 

2011 RACES:  Instep Indoor Marathon Relay, Wisconsin Half Marathon, Elkhart Lake Sprint Triathlon, Pleasant Prairie Olympic Triathlon, Ironman Racine 70.3, Chicago Triathlon Olympic.

2012 RACES:  A bunch of 10k's, Door County Half Marathon, Elkhart Lake Sprint Triathlon, Pleasant Prairie Olympic Triathlon, Ironman Racine 20.3, Chicago Sprint Triathlon, Ironman WI

WEIGHT LOSS:  Definetely need to lose some of the offseason weight. 

2012-01-02 9:32 PM
in reply to: #3967146

User image

Expert

Welcome Dave. So sorry to hear about your Dad.  How far from home are you traveling each week?

DaveL - 2012-01-02 8:04 PM

I'm in if theres room

Name:  Dave

Story:  Started Running in September of 2010 and ran a 5k race in October. As a reward I picked up a very used road bike that same day and decided that triathlon looked interesting. Over the winter I did the run focused Oly plan and in the processes signed up for the Muskoka HIM because I got a coupon for 20% off (CRAZY!) . For 2011 I did a couple of races and really enjoyed it. The HIM was a fantastic experience but I did suffer on the run as it has always been my weakness. For 2012 my first event will be a charity ride for cancer in June - 100miles day1 then 100km day 2. I have also given thought to doing the same races I did last year to see if I can see any improvements. I might throw a Xterra into the mix as well.

Family Status:
  Married with 2 kids. I will be working away from home for 4 months M-F coming home on weekends. I am unsure if this is going to help my training or hinder it. Part of the reason I am working away from home is to help care for my dad who is in the later stages of fighting cancer.

Weightloss:
  currently around 180lbs but hit a low of about 168lbs in the spring. Would like to be closer to that 170lb mark.

Training: 
I want to work on my running but also have a good base for the bike for the ride in June. I need to pick a plan asap that will address both these goals. A very full schedule make training hard so I need to get focused!

Other Stuff: Currently in school for Electrical Engineering, Snowboarder for 20+ years, Whitewater kayaker for about 10 years.

2012-01-02 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3967254

User image

Expert

Good to see you back at itWink.  good luck at the pool.

razorxp - 2012-01-02 9:05 PM

Well my training starts tomorrow and I might even hit the pool (for the newer members I am not much of a swimmer)

2012-01-02 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3967290

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Thanks for letting me join the group!!

I plan on riding out in Madison as often as I can...I live in Milwaukee so it's not that far of a drive for me.  I rode one loop of the course in October so I at least have somewhat of an idea of what I am in for.

Long story short, I am getting a 20 week training plan from a coach in the area.  One of her athletes who she has coached for two previous races is helping me with the base training leading up to the 20 week plan, so she will be emailing me workouts each week.  Today was day one, so I ran for 55 minutes and did some strength training.  Tomorrow is swimming at Masters and riding the computrainer at a local bike shop. 

I am super excited for IMWI, but there seriously are days when I get really, REALLY nervous just thinking about it...I mean, I think about how quickly time flew by since I signed up!

2012-01-02 9:51 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

I hope everyone had a better day than me - although, I did squeeze 2300 meters in at the pool tonight - so the day is at lease ending on a better note, I got something done anyway.

Jenny and Dave - Welcome - great to have you with us.

Jenny - great background, I am looking forward to learning from you.

Dave - Barrie Ont. Awesome, I did the Bracebridge Sprint this last summer and loved it. Where are you going to be working when you are away from home if you don't mind me asking? Nice to have a fellow Canadian joining us for sure.

SkinnyArm Brian - thanks for the shout out in your post - it was a pleasure being there and watching you do your IM.

Batlou Brian - Hang in there, I know what your are going through with the house and life getting in the way thing - suck$!

Tim - spot for Sarah for sure. Have you sent her a PM yet? I will send her a messag on FB to let her know she can join us if she wishes. I am also wondering if you would be so kind as to put together a master list of team members like you have in the past for us? It would be greatly appreciated.

Coach - glad to hear you are starting your training tomorrow, enjoy your swim.

OK Team - I am hitting the wrapper - tomorrow is a new day and in a couple of days, I won't have dish pan hands anymore Smile

KC

2012-01-02 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED

Has anyone ever did the "crossfit" style workouts?  We  have a new gym in town that has some pretty cool workouts, I know its not tri specific but right now I am hoping working my entire body could help the back.  They offer a class weekly at 8am so its perfect for me as I am not an early person plus its about 1/2 mile from my work.  Looks like p90 but in a group setting so I'm not sure if its worth the $100 a month to have someone push me as that is not a issue I have.

I am so ready to get healthy and back into the swing of my workouts.

2012-01-02 10:09 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Group is officially closed! (we always have an open door for old group members though) :-)

2012-01-02 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3967344

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Sounds good Coach!

Welcome everyone - lets have some fun and stay healthy.

KC

razorxp - 2012-01-02 11:09 PM

Group is officially closed! (we always have an open door for old group members though) :-)

2012-01-02 10:18 PM
in reply to: #3967323

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
kcgolf - 2012-01-02 9:51 PM

Dave - Barrie Ont. Awesome, I did the Bracebridge Sprint this last summer and loved it. Where are you going to be working when you are away from home if you don't mind me asking? Nice to have a fellow Canadian joining us for sure.

I havent done Bracebridge but did a couple of the Muskoka area events and really liked the venues. I am going to be starting at Bruce Power on the 12th.

Put in a slow 1hr ride today on the trainer as I still have a lingering head cold. I hope to head out on a trail run tomorrow through a foot of fresh snow.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43