BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-01-06 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3975493

User image

EP
Subject: RE: FoggyGog's Mentor Group - Open
QueerDrummer - 2012-01-06 2:33 PM

Hey Doug! Woot for folks who train all winter in MN! We're crazy! But getting lucky with this weird weather, eh? I could use a biking buddy later in the season, so let me know if you're interested. It's pretty easy for me to hop on the greenway and head your direction. I'm also signed up for the Brewhouse, but I'm doing the long route.

Henry

Excellent Henry will do!!!  I'm looking forward to meeting some more people that are sick like I am HAHA.  

2012-01-06 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3945983

User image

EP
Subject: RE: FoggyGog's Mentor Group - Closed

Oh man the trainer and the Dreadmill will be the end of me I swear.  I hate them so much it hurts.  I have tried a Spinervals DVD and its really fun.  I bought the Time Trialbalooza one last week.  It tough but good enough that I stayed on the bike for about 30 min or so.  Thats a record for sure!!!!

To speak to the Carbon vs Aluminum frame bike question.  My first good bike was a CAAD 3 I believe.  When I went to get my Lemond I was pretty sure I wanted a carbon Trek.  Well the Trek lost out to the Lemond with carbon chain and seat stays but an ALuminum frame.  My BMC is also half and half.  The only all carbon frame bike that I have liked so far is a Ridley Helium.  I've felt the full carbon frame was to flimsy and didn't communicate very well (I used to race cars and motorcycles so those things are very apparent to me).  I would consider a full carbon frame for my next road bike but I would HAVE to ride it first.

I have heard the new CAAD X frames from Cannondale are equally as good as a Carbon Frame.  Never ridden one but they are supposed to be awesome.

Here is today's run.

http://runkeeper.com/user/RSR78/activity/65161896

The first spike in speed was a potty brake.  The last 2 were short walking stints.  I'm trying to do some rehab/base building to get ready for real base building for marathon training.  Dang I didn't look at the results till now, I'm faster then I was last year already :D.

After work tomorrow I will either run or I will do a Spinervals DVD and go do some upper body and core work at the gym.

Oh and just call me Strider.  It was already taken when I signed up so I had to add the team name to the end...

Edited by StriderArrows 2012-01-06 11:21 PM
2012-01-07 3:01 AM
in reply to: #3976002

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland

. What do you do to make time pass on the trainer, group?

Are you talking about the eliptical/cross trainer? it is a boring exercise I'll do 60 -90min at a time and use the anerobic mode to mix it up but as it is such a boring exercise I believe its good for mental training.

I know its not the answer your looking for buit I found it easier when I started to think as it as mental training.

A few other things to help mix it up:

- One day music on, the next I just watch the gyms screens

- Never listen to the same set of music twice in a row

- Anerobic setting helps as it breaks the monotomy

- I increase the intensity every 15 min so that every 15min group is different from the last

- I only incorporate it twice a week into my training plan (running is better)

2012-01-07 3:12 AM

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland

IT makes sense to ride before you buy , the only unfortunate thing is that I don't even know anyone who rides a road bike, we do have a chain reaction store but they have a limited selection.

I'll be joining a Tri club which is 18miles up the road next week, they seem a good bunch so I'll talk to them about jumping on a few frames.

This is the bike I was looking to purchase, a lot of money if it doesn't fit...

http://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b100s6p2511/CANNONDALE_Synapse_Carbon_Ultegra_Compact_2011/RS_GB/9985

And here's the Alum.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m7b0s6p3681

I will keep yas in touch with how I get on.....

Some good Inspirational vids by the way, looking forward tomy first IM and dying 10yrds before I cross the finsh line

Edited by Marshpike 2012-01-07 3:14 AM
2012-01-07 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland

Just back from a 7mile run (8.48min/mile), my intention was to run 10 but my ITB started to give a little pain so I stopped and got a lift home.

Starting to intergrate my custom orthotics into my running next week so hopefully this will help ( I have seriously flat feet)

Edited by Marshpike 2012-01-07 8:44 AM
2012-01-07 9:07 AM

User image

Logan Ut

Woke up to snow on falling this morning.  went for a short swim only 450 yard. I know not much right.  Worked on my leg form for 200 of the yards and also geting the breathing down.  Was in the pool for 30 minutes so I did a lot of treading water to get my breating down right.  I know my time isn't the greatest but 1:10 for 50 yd freestyle and 3:45 for leg kicks.  I went there mainly to work on my leg form.  My wife said I look like a frog swimming in distress, that was Thursday.   Any one else have problems with leg form out there. 

2012-01-07 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3976263

User image

EP
Marshpike - 2012-01-07 3:12 AM

IT makes sense to ride before you buy , the only unfortunate thing is that I don't even know anyone who rides a road bike, we do have a chain reaction store but they have a limited selection.

I'll be joining a Tri club which is 18miles up the road next week, they seem a good bunch so I'll talk to them about jumping on a few frames.

http://www.drakescycles.co.uk/m1b100s6p2511/CANNONDALE_Synapse_Carbon_Ultegra_Compact_2011/RS_GB/9985

And here's the Alum.

Some good Inspirational vids by the way, looking forward tomy first IM and dying 10yrds before I cross the finsh line

2012-01-07 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3976263

User image

EP
Marshpike - 2012-01-07 3:12 AM

And here's the Alum.

Hmm looks like a great bike.  If you can get a ride first and its good for you by the Ultegra group bike.  Both of my bikes have Ultrega and I don't see the need for the Dura Ace group.  If you can't get a ride then minimize the potential damages and get the 105 stuff.  Nothing really wrong with 105 just the Ulterga stuff is smoother shifting.

As for swimming, I suck at just about all of it but I'm not sure what to do to improve besides swim, a lot.  I've been thinking about getting the TI DVD's.  My work schedule pretty much screws me out of being able to go to a masters swim course so I have to do all the work myself.

Edited by StriderArrows 2012-01-07 10:17 AM
2012-01-07 11:45 AM

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland

Cheers Strider, the 105 group set has a black frame and a shimano wheel set which isn't as sexy but it is £500 cheeper.  The 2012 105 group set comes in the same colour and has Mavrick wheels but its the same price as the 2011 Ultegra.

I'm going to talk to the dealer to explain the siutation and hopefully set up a ride and return/keep deal, then worst case I'm out postage and possibly a set of tires, best case the bike was made for me and I keep it.

As for the swimming I think I was being hard on myself,  last night I found plenty of training methods which are familiar with my current style but they still aren't any where near as close to being as efficient as the IT vids.

I've just got to be confident in what I'm doin and hopefully I'll get me pre-xmas form back, there is a group that does video analysis close by which I'm going to try and get done to see where I can approve.

Once I get my stroke sorted, my bicycle bought and my ITB resolved I'll be fine, lol....

Edited by Marshpike 2012-01-07 11:49 AM
2012-01-07 11:55 AM
in reply to: #3976494

User image

Veteran
N.Ireland
.   Any one else have problems with leg form out there. 

I haven't actually thought much about my leg form, when I started distance swimming last year I found I hardly used my legs but eventually they came into play. No expert but I have learnt to only think about one thing at a time and I found when I was getting my breathing right I felt comfortable and efficient with everything else.

Edited by Marshpike 2012-01-07 11:56 AM
2012-01-07 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3976695

User image

EP
Marshpike - 2012-01-07 11:45 AM

Cheers Strider, the 105 group set has a black frame and a shimano wheel set which isn't as sexy but it is £500 cheeper.  The 2012 105 group set comes in the same colour and has Mavrick wheels but its the same price as the 2011 Ultegra.

I'm going to talk to the dealer to explain the siutation and hopefully set up a ride and return/keep deal, then worst case I'm out postage and possibly a set of tires, best case the bike was made for me and I keep it.

You will be fine with any wheel choice.  Once you get into longer events and are willing to throw more money at wheels thats when you have to worry.  There are lots of other things to get to help your out before sweet wheels (though sweet wheels are awesome as they sit HEH).  Get Aero bars ASAP and ride like crazy. 

Just remember that Aero trumps weight when distance is a major factor.  I hope the dealer works with you that would be awesome.  I'd just hate for you to get something that is terrible or mediocre for you.  Just like a bad pair of shoes its makes life far less enjoyable!

2012-01-07 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto, Canada

Just got back from a 4 mile run.  Had good weather for January here in Waterloo, Ontario (4 degrees!!!!) so I had to take advantage and get outside.  Did it in 32m 12 s but had some serious wind in the first 2 miles.  Felt good to be outside!

Had to cut it short due to my nephew's birthday that I have to go to tonight. 

Hope everyone had a good training day!

2012-01-07 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3976198

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-07 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3976183

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-01-07 4:37 PM
in reply to: #3976975

EP
Subject: RE: FoggyGog's Mentor Group - Open
FoggyGoggles - 2012-01-07 3:29 PM 

I'll have to admit that I've been disappointed that I haven't been able to use the trail running shoes more than once this year. I work in Hopkins and live in Chaska so there are plenty of trails to run between all of our houses. Let me know when you all are getting in the cold!

On that note, I'm running a half marathon on February 18th in Vadnais Heights if anyone is interested...

I'm looking forward to hitting some trails eventually here.  2/3 of the run for one last tri was a trail run.  I was surprised by that, but I liked it a lot!!!  I want to take 2 training vacations this year, a trail running one up north and a cycling one some place where I can go fast HEH.

I went to the gym today and did some upper body, back and abs.  Feeling pretty good.  I'll go run again tomorrow with a running partner.  Man I wish it would just dump on us and get it over with.  I want to ride my bike outside REALLY BAD!!!!!!!

2012-01-07 8:07 PM

New user

Columbus, Georgia

Interested in joining the FoggyGog's Mentor Group.  Are there any openings left?

Thanks,

Tim

2012-01-07 10:37 PM

Veteran
Waterford, MI.
All in all, not a bad day.  Made it out for a 30 min run this morning followed by an hour and a half on the trainer doing some pyramid intervals.
2012-01-08 12:09 AM

Okay Mentors! I need help!

I started swimming in November, did a month of private lessons and have now been in a Tri-Swim group twice a week and swimming on my own one to two more sessions a week. When I started a 25 killed me, sky high heart rate and feeling like making it a 50 would be a sure fire way to drown me! Now I don't feel that way until I hit 100, so I know I have improved my endurance. However, I am still not up to par!

What is the best way to increase endurance and add the distance needed for an Olympic Tri? Should I try to add a 25 to the 100 and keep long rest breaks between or stick with 100s until I can limit the rests to 10 sec or less?

Thanks for the Help!

Jenny

2012-01-08 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3977558

Veteran
N.Ireland

jdutton13 - 2012-01-08 4:37 AM All in all, not a bad day.  Made it out for a 30 min run this morning followed by an hour and a half on the trainer doing some pyramid intervals.

Fair play Josh good anaerobic work out there, I am now stuck in doors trying to write an 8,000 word dessertation which was meant to be handed in last Friday - Now that's mental training I could do with out.....

2012-01-08 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3977597

NurseJenny - 2012-01-08 12:09 AM

Okay Mentors! I need help!

I started swimming in November, did a month of private lessons and have now been in a Tri-Swim group twice a week and swimming on my own one to two more sessions a week. When I started a 25 killed me, sky high heart rate and feeling like making it a 50 would be a sure fire way to drown me! Now I don't feel that way until I hit 100, so I know I have improved my endurance. However, I am still not up to par!

What is the best way to increase endurance and add the distance needed for an Olympic Tri? Should I try to add a 25 to the 100 and keep long rest breaks between or stick with 100s until I can limit the rests to 10 sec or less?

Thanks for the Help!

Jenny

Jenny, I don't really think either or will have much of a difference. I was in the same position a few months ago. As you stated you needed to improve your endurance, what I started doing was taking it easy on a few 200m and it wasnt until I did 800m (although slow by BT standards) I gained a lot of confidence and endurance.

2012-01-08 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3977670

Only ran 26 minutes yesterday (didn't look at how far the garmin stated it went). Tried to keep the HR around 150BPM. My let achilles was pretty sore yesterday.

I have a 10k approaching on Feb 18th... that should be extremely interesting since the Holidays and the month of December, training was nonexistent.

Adrian, safe travels! Jealous of the nicer weather. It should be near 40F here, so I cannot complain!

2012-01-08 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3977770

mrbeachbum2 - 2012-01-08 6:32 AM

Jenny, I don't really think either or will have much of a difference. I was in the same position a few months ago. As you stated you needed to improve your endurance, what I started doing was taking it easy on a few 200m and it wasnt until I did 800m (although slow by BT standards) I gained a lot of confidence and endurance.

I take it easy on a 100 and I need a minute or two to recover from that! I found a six weeks to a mile program that is progressive from 4X100. I think I can manage that, going to start it this afternoon when I get up so I will let you know how it was.

Jenny

2012-01-08 11:03 AM

Regular
New York

Couple questions about running for anyone who can help. 

1) I seem to have a mental block against running more than 1 mile straight if I have mile markers or know where the 1-mile point is. I make an effort to run the first and last mile of every run and try to run as much in the middle as possible, so I know I can run 3 miles straight. The few times I just go and run until I want to stop I've done anywhere from 2-4 miles straight, but if I know anything about where a 1-mile point is something makes me start walking after mile 1. Any suggestions as to how to get over this? 

2) After longer runs my calves and sometimes hamstrings can feel pretty sore the next day. Not tight or cramped just sore and a little heavy. Stretching has helped some but I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and what you do to relieve this feeling. 

Thanks!

Akila

2012-01-08 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3977774

Veteran
N.Ireland

I have a 10k approaching on Feb 18th... that should be extremely interesting since the Holidays and the month of December, training was nonexistent.

Just remember its not the distance that kills you its the speed, if you feel you haven't put the training in just listen to your body and not your watch.

Nice early goal though

2012-01-08 11:40 AM
in reply to: #3977930

Veteran
N.Ireland
ar.1649 - 2012-01-08 5:03 PM

Couple questions about running for anyone who can help. 

1) I seem to have a mental block against running more than 1 mile straight if I have mile markers or know where the 1-mile point is. I make an effort to run the first and last mile of every run and try to run as much in the middle as possible, so I know I can run 3 miles straight. The few times I just go and run until I want to stop I've done anywhere from 2-4 miles straight, but if I know anything about where a 1-mile point is something makes me start walking after mile 1. Any suggestions as to how to get over this? 

2) After longer runs my calves and sometimes hamstrings can feel pretty sore the next day. Not tight or cramped just sore and a little heavy. Stretching has helped some but I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and what you do to relieve this feeling. 

Thanks!

Akila

I can only repsond from my limited experience but hope this helps:

Point 1 - Its only natural to fall victim to your percieved limits, we all do it just some have learnt through running to dig a little deeper. You need to gain confidence in your own ability, the way to do this on your 3 mile run is slow down (don't worry about what speed your going) but just make sure you complete the full 3 miles with out stopping, believe it or not once you have done this a few times your mind then believes you can run the 3 miles non stop at that point your a ready to increase your speed.

During my speed runs I question myself almost every step, if I'm running 4 miles I can hear my conscious saying go on stop at 3 miles this is a great time for 3 miles but I always make it to the end. I know if I'm not questioning my ability during my speed runs I'm not pushing myself hard enough.

Point 2 - The hurt your feeling is a good hurt, I'm feeling discomfort most of the week but as long as it isn't pain you've nothing to worry about.

I always following the same routine to aid recovery when I come back from a run, even if its 3 miles just to maintain the routine.

- Re-hydrate

- Eat some carbs/protein (with in 15 min of finishing the run)

- Stretch hams/quads (Once my heart rate has come back down to 100)

- If a run over 12 miles I get into a cold bath

Hope this helps a little.

Edited by Marshpike 2012-01-08 11:43 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 32