BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-04-16 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4123663

User image

New user
Seattle
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Got to ride my bike on a paved bike trail, aka Soos Creek Trail, just south of Seattle (12 miles round trip).  It was the perfect day and on that trail your breath gets taken away by views of Mt. Rainier.  She was out and chisled in all her glory yesterday.  Note to self...get out of the gym!!

Melinda

2012-04-16 7:13 PM

User image

We're getting ready for our move and decided that since we can only ship one vehicle with us, that we would ship my husband's car since it is a 4 door and mine is only a 2-dr. We talked to the dealer and they told us that they would buy my car back from us. So I'm on my way home and sure enough, I get hit! I was rear-ended, and then rear-ended AGAIN! The lady behind me didn't stop and hit me and then the lady behind her hit her, causing her to hit me again! Fortunately, it's just the bumper and everyone had insurance...unfortunately, I worry that this will cause the dealer to think twice about buying a vehicle that has been involved in an accident
2012-04-16 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4154533

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Wow, what luck! Glad you weren't hurt, and hope it works out.

mmez - 2012-04-15 8:13 PM We're getting ready for our move and decided that since we can only ship one vehicle with us, that we would ship my husband's car since it is a 4 door and mine is only a 2-dr. We talked to the dealer and they told us that they would buy my car back from us. So I'm on my way home and sure enough, I get hit! I was rear-ended, and then rear-ended AGAIN! The lady behind me didn't stop and hit me and then the lady behind her hit her, causing her to hit me again! Fortunately, it's just the bumper and everyone had insurance...unfortunately, I worry that this will cause the dealer to think twice about buying a vehicle that has been involved in an accident

2012-04-16 7:35 PM
in reply to: #4154566

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Jenheaslip - 2012-04-16 6:33 PM

Wow, what luck! Glad you weren't hurt, and hope it works out.

mmez - 2012-04-15 8:13 PM We're getting ready for our move and decided that since we can only ship one vehicle with us, that we would ship my husband's car since it is a 4 door and mine is only a 2-dr. We talked to the dealer and they told us that they would buy my car back from us. So I'm on my way home and sure enough, I get hit! I was rear-ended, and then rear-ended AGAIN! The lady behind me didn't stop and hit me and then the lady behind her hit her, causing her to hit me again! Fortunately, it's just the bumper and everyone had insurance...unfortunately, I worry that this will cause the dealer to think twice about buying a vehicle that has been involved in an accident

x2!

2012-04-16 10:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Well it's official - I'm back into training mode. Went for a recovery run tonight. I told my wife that I was just going to take my lab for a short 3 mile jog. We took off and I paced myself at a pace I felt I "could run all day at." When we were getting close to the turn around, I was Really wondering if I could keep that pace for a longer run. I ended up going just over an hour and a half, and was within 4 seconds of having an equal split. I don't know how far I went since my Garmin died and won't hold a charge but I felt really good when I got home. My wife was giving me the stink-eye and finally said "I knew you weren't going to just go 3 miles." It's great to be back in the swing of things!
2012-04-16 11:21 PM
in reply to: #4154827

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

stevesflyshop - 2012-04-16 9:37 PM Well it's official - I'm back into training mode. Went for a recovery run tonight. I told my wife that I was just going to take my lab for a short 3 mile jog. We took off and I paced myself at a pace I felt I "could run all day at." When we were getting close to the turn around, I was Really wondering if I could keep that pace for a longer run. I ended up going just over an hour and a half, and was within 4 seconds of having an equal split. I don't know how far I went since my Garmin died and won't hold a charge but I felt really good when I got home. My wife was giving me the stink-eye and finally said "I knew you weren't going to just go 3 miles." It's great to be back in the swing of things!

Love it, Steve!  If you had to guess, how far did you go?  I love those runs when I feel like I can conquer the world.  Not necessarily win the Boston Marathon conquer the world, but that feeling of "I am athlete".  So cool- and I bet the pup loved it too.  I'm glad you're back and kicking some butt!

2012-04-17 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

I drove the route this morning and it was 8.3 miles. That equated to an 11:02 mile average. Not stellar but I felt good when I got home and felt good this morning. Today its long bike ride day. After the weekend weather, I'm due to start logging miles in the saddle. I also really need to get back in the pool but that's not going to happen for another week. I guess I can use the sprint tri as my "back in the pool training swim" and see how the bike and run go afterwards.

I hope everyone has a great week.

Steve

2012-04-17 10:56 AM

User image

I'm getting back into training!!!  PT ended two weeks ago, I ran a couple of times last week (1 mile each @ 8-9 min/mile).  Sunday, my wife and I went on a nice 7 mile ride.  Any of the leariness she had when we bought her bike has completely gone away.  We rode easy, with some sprints on the straights.  She managed to get up around 20 mph for 1/4 mile at a time, and then rest for around 1/2 mile, and repeated for almost the whole 7 miles. 

Yesterday, I hit the pool, which was way over crowded.  But I got in a short workout, swimming felt great!  My breathing was nice and even, and it actually felt really good getting back into the pool.  I didn't do any kick sets to avoid irriatating my IT band, but I did focus on kicking from my hip and not my knee with each lap.  I had one lap where my it band started to be irratated, but re-focusing on kicking from the hip mad it go away.

Going for a 1.5 mile run tonight.  It's quite humbling going back to running a mile/mile and a half at a time.  I know with constant stretching and hip strengthening I'll get back up in milage.  I'm already planning on at least 2 half and 2 full marathons in the next year.

I was really doubting myself through PT, but I still have faith I can get my swim endurance up and complete a tri this year.

2012-04-17 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4152408

mcgilmartin - 2012-04-15 8:30 PM

Robyn,

You can get them at Zappos.  They have a 2012 model that came out on April 1st, they're even cooler.  It takes a certain gravitas to wear them for sure

SWEEEEEEET.

I AM IN LOVE WITH THOSE SHOES.  

2012-04-17 10:11 PM

User image

Regular
WI

Here's a question for the nurses and medical professionals.

When I went to the doctor last week I had them do a full physical exam as well since it's been a couple years complete with blood draw.  Everything is pretty normal except for my cholesterol.  Total cholesterol is at 247 - needless to say this surprised the heck out of me.

Doctor wants to start me on Lipitor.  I've read some pretty crazy things about athletes taking cholesterol lowering medication and the possible side effects.  Some of the opinions I read suggested taking CoQ10 to help combat the possible myopathy related to taking the medication, yet I'm concerned about adding another supplement to my daily regimen.  

Anyone have experience or know anyone who has had experience training while taking Lipitor?  And how did it work? 

For some reason I was thinking that CoQ10 was a banned substance on the WAPA list, but I couldn't find it.  Can anyone confirm this? 

2012-04-17 10:29 PM
in reply to: #4157268

User image

Round Rock

Co Q-10 is a proven supplement for cardiac health.

I would suggest you look at oat meal as well as regular use of metamucil to work to bring your cholesterol down in addtion to diet changes.

My $ .02 as an RN.

Bryan

2012-04-17 11:40 PM
in reply to: #4157294

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
katartizo - 2012-04-17 9:29 PM

Co Q-10 is a proven supplement for cardiac health.

I would suggest you look at oat meal as well as regular use of metamucil to work to bring your cholesterol down in addtion to diet changes.

My $ .02 as an RN.

Bryan

I know CoQ10 is legal, Macca raves about it in his book.  Also 2nd the oatmeal recommendation- oatmeal made with skim milk and fresh berries on top is a virtual superfood.

2012-04-17 11:41 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Bryan, I didn't know you were an RN... you just doubled your already high value in this group!
2012-04-18 7:07 PM

Sarasota, FL

I'm going to give you my RN/NP Student 2 cents...

Your cholesterol level is def considered high (anything over 240) but I'd be more concerned with your LDL level which is typically the one associated with adverse effects. If you're anti starting a statin, I'd really try to focus on eating healthy (omegas) and exercising to see if you can bring it down. Have your levels checked again a couple months later to see if diet changes are sufficient. Some people unfortunately just produce a lot of cholesterol no matter what.

I think it's around 20% of people that take a statin will report myalgia (muscle pain) and more so with higher doses (10 mg is lowest). There's not really any side effects to taking Co Q10 or Vit D (another supplement used by some). However, there's also not much solid scientific evidence that shows either really does anything.

Edited by Runsw/Parker 2012-04-18 10:27 PM
2012-04-18 9:57 PM

User image

Regular
WI
I really appreciate all the helpful advice.  I'd like to avoid medication for as long as I can.  Sounds like more oatmeal and fewer eggs are in my future. 
2012-04-18 11:11 PM

User image

Round Rock

Regarding eggs there is some good evidence that eggs laid that are from hormone free sources, specifically organic eggs are not particularily harmful and potentally beneficial in some of the literature that I have reviewed.

Do some research and make informed decisons about your health and how to protect and boost it!

2012-04-18 11:17 PM
in reply to: #4159523

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

phyre_cyclone - 2012-04-18 8:57 PM I really appreciate all the helpful advice.  I'd like to avoid medication for as long as I can.  Sounds like more oatmeal and fewer eggs are in my future. 

Christian, stick to egg whites- all the cholesterol is in the yolk.  Granted the yolk is the delicious part, but the whites are full of healthy fats and protein.  An egg white omelet will satiate your appetite.

I'm also a big fan of non-corporate-farm-raised food.  I would be willing to bet in Iowa you could get some great eggs from a local place.  When they're cage free and raised without hormones the eggs are amazing.

2012-04-19 11:03 AM

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland

Interesting article with tips to avoid getting kicked in the face during an OWS start.  Can you tell what's weighing on my mind as my first tri date looms just a few weeks away?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/triathlete/triathlon-racing/qa-how-can-i-avoid-getting-kicked-in-the-face-during-the-swim-start/8191.html

2012-04-19 1:07 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

I finally did it! I learned how to clip into my bike. I only fell 4 or 5 times and managed to keep the swearing to a minimum. Not sure what my neighbors thought, probably "look at that idiot, she gets on the bike, falls over, get up, gets back on, falls over, gets ups..." Lol. I've had my bike for a month now but was too scared to try before and always rode with tennis shoes on the banana clips. Tomorrow I'll do my first ride clipped in, we'll see what happens.

2012-04-19 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4160880

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Jenheaslip - 2012-04-19 12:07 PM

I finally did it! I learned how to clip into my bike. I only fell 4 or 5 times and managed to keep the swearing to a minimum. Not sure what my neighbors thought, probably "look at that idiot, she gets on the bike, falls over, get up, gets back on, falls over, gets ups..." Lol. I've had my bike for a month now but was too scared to try before and always rode with tennis shoes on the banana clips. Tomorrow I'll do my first ride clipped in, we'll see what happens.

Congratulations!  You didn't end up with a broken collarbone, elbow, wrist, or concussion, either?  Yahoo!

2012-04-19 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4161388

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Not yet, but there's always tomorrow! When I bought the bike the lady gave me the shoes and told me I had to practice in my yard, not the street. It was great advice :-)

2012-04-19 8:38 PM

User image

WooHoo! Clipping in is more intimidating than it is hard - I think it's more of a mental game we play with ourself! Great job for your first day and I'm sure that you'll do fine on your ride. Just remember to unclip well before you actually need to!

I picked up my race package today for my ride this weekend (it's not a race, just a ride). What a nice bag - it contained a shirt, water bottle, gu/jelly-like item, tire tube, co2 cartridge and some free food coupons! Color me impressed (or maybe bike events just give better swag bags).

I ordered a jersey separately, but they did not have the size I needed to try on, so they told me to order a size and I could exchange at pick-up. Of course, the jersey did not fit very well and they did not have the size that I needed. They said that they are going to place another order, but who knows if they will get here before we leave. If not, I'll get the too small jersey and my son can wear it...I didn't plan on wearing it for the ride anyway, although I don't know what I'm wearing as of yet...

I did a (very) slow 5k this morning on base for Earth Day. I have a few ladies in my squadron that like me to walk with them, so I talked them into walking the 5k this morning. Three ladies and I did the walk in 1:04 (and some change). They were all THRILLED that they finished and I was very happy for them. It was a hilly course and 2 of the ladies has their own set of challenges (one has had a knee replacement; the other is trying to loose weight). The 3rd lady is really fit and was walking along with us for encouragement. I am super proud of them, but I have a feeling that they might not be too happy with me tomorrow (once they wake up and find out how sore they might be)! 

Headed to bed - hope everyone has a great FRIDAY!!

2012-04-20 10:45 AM

User image

Regular
Olney, Maryland

Hi Christian---saw this video that profiles an editorial from the American Journal of Cardiology.  Makes an interesting case for a plant-based diet in lieu of statins.  This has been an interesting discussion and I definitely concur with all of the feedback from the other healthcare members of our group. I work with an older population and, anecdotally, it seems like 95% of my patients are on Lipitor or Crestor---really makes me wonder if they're being overprescribed.

http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/convergence-of-evidence/

Robin

phyre_cyclone - 2012-04-16 11:11 PM

Here's a question for the nurses and medical professionals.

When I went to the doctor last week I had them do a full physical exam as well since it's been a couple years complete with blood draw.  Everything is pretty normal except for my cholesterol.  Total cholesterol is at 247 - needless to say this surprised the heck out of me.

Doctor wants to start me on Lipitor.  I've read some pretty crazy things about athletes taking cholesterol lowering medication and the possible side effects.  Some of the opinions I read suggested taking CoQ10 to help combat the possible myopathy related to taking the medication, yet I'm concerned about adding another supplement to my daily regimen.  

Anyone have experience or know anyone who has had experience training while taking Lipitor?  And how did it work? 

For some reason I was thinking that CoQ10 was a banned substance on the WAPA list, but I couldn't find it.  Can anyone confirm this? 

2012-04-22 4:11 PM

User image

Too much of a bum right now to write up a report because I'm going take a nap, but I just wanted to report that I didn't die out there on my ride and am very happy with my time. I will link my Garmin information a little later on (once I wake up). It was the perfect day for a ride!!
2012-04-22 6:43 PM

User image

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/170886105

Can't get it to link, but there it is...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  

of 25