BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2012-12-23 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
Welcome newbies!
Thanks Karl.
Tony, we used to live in Binghamton so we are thinking we could go visit my husbands family and I could race, win/win I will take a look at the course and then decide thanks for the heads up.

I just have to say Jake Locker is giving me some good laughs today. Pretty sure they won't be beating the Packers today.

2012-12-23 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4545464

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Opened

Samantha - You may have already shared about your "injury waiting to happen" with the group previously, but I am very curious to know what phappened and why was it waiting to happen? Feel free to send me a meesage directly or share with the group again....

michgirlsk - 2012-12-22 8:47 PM

Hello again!  My name is Samantha, I'm 27, and I'll be entering my third season of triathlons.  I learned about triathlon through watching the Ironman world champs on NBC (very original, I know).  I vividly remember an old 80-year-old(~ish) Asian man crossing the finish line.  It was very sweet.  Anyway, that was in high school, at which time I did an indoor triathlon and that was it.  Finally many years later I did my first outdoor tri which was in 2010.  That year I did 4 sprints which culminated with an HIM which I had been training all summer for.  Sadly, little did I know, I had an injury waiting to happen the whole summer, and it blew up during my HIM.  That left me with an assortment of hip issues, and I basically took the following tri season off.  I tried to get back into things slowly this year and did 3 sprints.  Next year I will also be sticking with sprints, and I will be looking to pick up speed!  I will probably also throw in an xterra race, which will likely be around a 3 hour race for me, so that will be the "long" race of the year.  I am continuing to manage my hip issue, it is really just about making sure it doesn't get to a horrid stage.

For the winter, I would really like to improve my running and swimming.  I would be happy to maintain my bike fitness from the fall, as that would still mean that I'll be better than where I was a year ago come spring time.  I'm also trying to make sure to include strength and flexibility exercises to my regular routine.

I'm glad that a new round of BT mentor groups has started, as it's like a fresh burst of motivation! Smile

2012-12-23 2:37 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Jo- So sorry about your sister. Of course we will keep her in our thoughts & prayers.

Will- Congrats on the pregnancy! Baby girls are the best.

2012-12-23 4:55 PM
in reply to: #4546029

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Jo63 - 2012-12-23 2:32 PM Welcome newbies! Thanks Karl. Tony, we used to live in Binghamton so we are thinking we could go visit my husbands family and I could race, win/win I will take a look at the course and then decide thanks for the heads up. I just have to say Jake Locker is giving me some good laughs today. Pretty sure they won't be beating the Packers today.

JoAnne sorry to see your Titans have a rough day against the Packers today. That is great that you have family so close to Syracuse so I can see why that would make sense to do that race especially if you can make it racing vacation. If you decide to do it let me know would love to get to see you there and it looks like we'll have a good group of BT'ers up there too. Should be a fun race except for all the hills on that run course.

2012-12-23 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4545822

User image

Bronze member
mambos - 2012-12-23 9:22 AM
trigal38 - 2012-12-23 10:03 AM

Matt I guess I was thinking that the 305 would show some info once I had the cadence monitor even though it is not needed for TrainerRoad.

Maybe I have confused myself!

it should show at least the cadence. I have the 305 with the cadence sensor and the watch reads the numbers. Have you confirmed the watch is paring to it? When you go into the setting pages you should see 3 little symbols on the bottom right. The 1st is what mode you are in, then HR, then cadence. This will show you if the HR monitor is paired along with the cadence sensor. If there is a flashing X over the top of the symbol it is not seeing the cadence sensor. If it is paring to it then the last step is to confirm it is set-up on the wheel correctly. But I believe you stated you were already seeing numbers on the computer so I assumed that is good! I haven't used the trainer road, although it is tempting. I even bought the ant+ stick so I could but I haven't been able to commit to the monthly fee! Once you get up and running make sure to let me know what you think of it and if its worth the money.

Thanks Matt, that clears things up. I did not see any cadence numbers on the watch but I didn't follow any instructions for pairing it so I'm sure there were some steps I missed.

I know what you mean about the monthly fee. I bought the ant+stick LAST winter then realized I still had to buy the cadence monitor and now still need a new HR monitor. The TrainerRoad website says you can cancel at any time so I figure even if I only use it for a few months in the winter the cost should be pretty reasonable. I'll keep you posted.

2012-12-23 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Well my long run is done, a little shorter than expected but finished at 9 miles total! Park was covered in just enough snow and ice to make things tricky, slip sliding all over the place! Hips and knees are a little sore but nothing major! I also managed to run at an 8:45 pace which is about 30s faster than the normal long run! I guess I can accept the shorter distance

2012-12-23 5:50 PM
in reply to: #4546190

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
strikyr - 2012-12-23 4:55 PM

Jo63 - 2012-12-23 2:32 PM Welcome newbies! Thanks Karl. Tony, we used to live in Binghamton so we are thinking we could go visit my husbands family and I could race, win/win I will take a look at the course and then decide thanks for the heads up. I just have to say Jake Locker is giving me some good laughs today. Pretty sure they won't be beating the Packers today.

JoAnne sorry to see your Titans have a rough day against the Packers today. That is great that you have family so close to Syracuse so I can see why that would make sense to do that race especially if you can make it racing vacation. If you decide to do it let me know would love to get to see you there and it looks like we'll have a good group of BT'ers up there too. Should be a fun race except for all the hills on that run course.

Just to clear things up...Iam not a Titans fan, I live in Wisconsin and am definetly a cheesehead
2012-12-23 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4546208

User image

Bronze member

mambos - 2012-12-23 5:15 PM Well my long run is done, a little shorter than expected but finished at 9 miles total! Park was covered in just enough snow and ice to make things tricky, slip sliding all over the place! Hips and knees are a little sore but nothing major! I also managed to run at an 8:45 pace which is about 30s faster than the normal long run! I guess I can accept the shorter distance

Wow - 8:45 for 9 miles in the ice and snow?! I'm impressed!

2012-12-23 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4545987

User image

Bronze member
strikyr - 2012-12-23 12:45 PM

Well it didn't take long to close out the group, wow that was fast! I think we did this last year so I will throw it out there to the group, what goals does everyone have this season?

I'm not a huge goal setter but I would like to compete in an Oly this year (end of season Oly got cancelled last summer) if my feet allow me to build a little more distance to my runs and possibly race some bigger events instead of the small local events I typically race.

Otherwise just the usual, stay active, have fun, try to PR and don't give myself any serious injuries!

2012-12-23 7:08 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Quick note. iPad battery is almost done. Power has been out for 12hours. Inlaws are out too. Big storm. Scary watching the big redwoods swaying. It sounded like a freight train outside this morning! The roar was intense. I'll catch up later. Need to get the candles lit. Cheers!
2012-12-23 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4546238

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jo63 - 2012-12-23 6:50 PM

Just to clear things up...Iam not a Titans fan, I live in Wisconsin and am definetly a cheesehead

JoAnne my apologies and of course you'd be a Packers fan I guess I just misunderstood, well you must be very happy with the Packers performance today.

2012-12-23 7:26 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Tony's right to ask about setting goals for the upcomng season.  This was going to be a question I asked as we got the group rolling.  It helps many people to get some goals to throw darts at as they move into and through their training. 

I have one major goal for the upcoming year.  Complete the Boston Marathon!  For those just coming into the group with us, I have been fighting plantar fasciitis for the past few months and getting the mileage in that I would like for a marathon is not going to happen at this point.

Goals outside of that would be to carry another year at a high volume and be able to dump that volume into an IM race in 2014.  I would like to have a high enough volume for 2 years to allow a smoother, faster transition to actually being able to race an IM.  I had reasonable success with this sort of planning leading up to the HIM's I did this year.  (Had I not planned large volume training for 2011 and 2012 I would not have been able to go sub 5 hours for my HIM "A" race last September.)

My race goals for this year:

• A couple of sprints and Olys and maybe a couple of HIM's again but I don't have a schedule set at all.
  • Continue to place in my AG and start getting closer to the overall podiums.
  • Get enough of the Junkies at a local race (hopefully Tri-Indy) to be able to meet a few more Junkies in person.
  • Race Jeff head to head somewhere.  Although I think Jeff will crush this tired old man.
So,  What are your goals?
2012-12-23 7:27 PM
in reply to: #4546304

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

RunningYogini - 2012-12-23 8:08 PM Quick note. iPad battery is almost done. Power has been out for 12hours. Inlaws are out too. Big storm. Scary watching the big redwoods swaying. It sounded like a freight train outside this morning! The roar was intense. I'll catch up later. Need to get the candles lit. Cheers!

Keep those storms on the side of the continent please.  I am on vacation for another week and a half and I want it to stay that way!

2012-12-23 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

mambos - 2012-12-23 6:15 PM Well my long run is done, a little shorter than expected but finished at 9 miles total! Park was covered in just enough snow and ice to make things tricky, slip sliding all over the place! Hips and knees are a little sore but nothing major! I also managed to run at an 8:45 pace which is about 30s faster than the normal long run! I guess I can accept the shorter distance

Matt nice run today especially with the ice and snow. Not sure if guys have ever used or heard of this but a few years back we got a ton of snow one winter and I bought these things called icespikes. They are little metal spikes or screws that you screw into your running shoes they are supposed to give you better traction. I bought them but never used them.

2012-12-23 7:52 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

I checked my goals from last season to now. I know I had a long list of 9 or 10 goals last year and I think I hit nearly all with the exception of being able to run the NYC marathon. I had no control over that. I post a list of my goals in my basement where I do my strength training so I can see them. It keeps me focused and motivated.

My goals for 2013 are as follows:

Set PR HIM at Syracuse 70.3 - finish under 7:20
Set PR OLY at Riverhead Rocks - finish under 2:58
Finish at IMWI and become an Ironman - target finish time of under 14 hours
Finish NYC Marathon - target finish time of 4 hours
Improve bike strength and conditioning
Improve swimming

Most importantly is to have fun, keep learning and growing in the port, help others and meet as many other triathletes as I can. I think the other big thing for me is to enjoy the Ironman journey this year. Ironman isn't about titles, medals and finishing times for me. It's about the entire experience from start to finish. I've already begun the journey and I am going to try to enjoy every minute of chasing the dream whether I succeed or not. 

2012-12-23 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4546327

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
DirkP - 2012-12-23 8:27 PM

RunningYogini - 2012-12-23 8:08 PM Quick note. iPad battery is almost done. Power has been out for 12hours. Inlaws are out too. Big storm. Scary watching the big redwoods swaying. It sounded like a freight train outside this morning! The roar was intense. I'll catch up later. Need to get the candles lit. Cheers!

Keep those storms on the side of the continent please.  I am on vacation for another week and a half and I want it to stay that way!

Dirk you may be called in as reinforements. Tracy be safe and hope you get your power back soon.

2012-12-23 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Goals..Goals...Goals???  I have these saved as a photo on my lock screen on my phone.  Everytime I pick up my phone this list is in front of me.  The order does matter !

1. 70,000yds swimming by the end of March.  Considering this is more than I did for the entire year its going to be rough., but the average is only 6000 per week so I think it is doable.  I just need to motivate myself to be a morning person!
  2. Average 40mpw running for February and March, currently doing 30mpw with no problems!
  3. Run Glass City Half Marathon under 1:45 (and beat Warren!)
  4. Have my race weight down under 178lbs by may, Goodbye pizza Yell
  5. Run a standalone 5K at 21:??
  6. Finish in top 5 of AG at maumee bay sprint.  This will probably require a 1:15 which is 7m off of last years time
  7. Finish REV3 Cedar point HIM
  8. Finish REV3 Cedar Poit HIM under 5:30 (and beat Warren!)Cool
  9. Watch Tony (and another friend) finish NYC.Smile

So the list is kinda long, but I think each goal feeds into the next.

Edited by mambos 2012-12-23 8:29 PM
2012-12-23 8:10 PM
in reply to: #4546363

User image

Elite
far northern CA
strikyr - 2012-12-23 5:55 PM
DirkP - 2012-12-23 8:27 PM

Dirk you may be called in as reinforements. Tracy be safe and hope you get your power back soon.

Yay!!!!  It's back on!!!!  The first thing I did was grind more coffee for tomorrow in case it goes out again!  Twelve hours is a LOOOONG time to go without power.  I was starting to go into camping mode.  My husband headed over to the in-laws to pick up a generator that they didn't need.  Thank goodness we heat the house with a woodstove!  We can cook on that thing when necessary.  The dutch oven almost made an appearance for a mid-winters meal, too.

Needless to say, I did not get my planned long run today.  The wind was too scary.  I did do a short run to the end of my road when the weather let up.  Lots of branches all over the road.  Several people had generators going.

All right....time to head to the few pages that you all filled up over the day.  If I'm gone for awhile again, the power is out. Yell

2012-12-23 8:31 PM

User image

Bronze member

Tracy I'm so glad your power is back on! Hopefully it stays that way.

I'm reading all the goals and I think I'm in some kind of overachievers mentor group. I may need to switch to the Beer Drinker group, except I don't drink Beer......

2012-12-23 8:45 PM
in reply to: #4546033

User image

Expert
MI
jenbmosley - 2012-12-23 2:39 PM

Samantha - You may have already shared about your "injury waiting to happen" with the group previously, but I am very curious to know what phappened and why was it waiting to happen? Feel free to send me a meesage directly or share with the group again....

Sure!  I don't mind.  But, as a warning, it will be long.  The short version..... in retrospect, I believe it started with a continued altered gait for months while running which basically led to my hip bones being misaligned, which then led to the muscles associated with the hip muscles (and there are a lot of them) getting all whacked out, pulling on each other, etc, which then led to my hamstring essentially "popping" during my race.  I was on loop 2 of the run in a race when this happened, and I walked the rest and it was very devastating... anyway...

The reason I say it was waiting to happen, is now looking back, I think there were things I could have done to prevent it (some which seem obvious), and warning signs.  In May 2010 (I believe a day or two after my first triathlon!) I was going nowhere fast running through my house, and I whacked my foot into a chair.  The angle and position which I hit my foot (think I struck some sensitive bones) was such that it hurt so bad that I couldn't walk on the foot.  I had a half marathon a week later, and I decided to go for it even though the foot was definitely not healed, as I discovered a way to walk/run on my foot without the pain.... with an altered gait, basically limp style.  I did the half marathon.  Then I took a few weeks off from running.  The foot wasn't fully healed, but since I could run without pain if I ran with the altered gait, I decided to run... and then for the next 2 or so months, I was running with that altered gait, which I personally believe is what has led to this current issue I'm having.  (The specialists I've seen can't really confirm this, as they all say "well, it could be a number of things...")

So one, I shouldn't have been running with an altered gait for so long.  Two, after a number of long rides over the summer, it felt like there was this knot in my groin area.  I ignored it, as I didn't know what it was and it wasn't causing me any trouble at the time.  This turned out to be related to the hip issue.  Three, literally just a few days before my HIM, I went out for a run, and my hamstring seemed slightly tight.  I had never felt it like this before, so I figured it would go away.  The morning of the race, again, it felt slightly tight, but at that point, what was I to do?  I swam... I biked, during the bike I got off for a potty break, and I felt that same knot, but again, didn't really think anything of it... then I started running... at some point in that first lap, not only did my hamstring feel tight, but it felt tight through my glutes as well.  And then lap 2 hit, and that was it for me.

And so that kind of describes how my hip issues came about!  I then went to see a few different specialists (at Dirk's urging, actually!  I had waited a couple months after the race thinking it would sort itself out)... it was a very frustrating process as the first few people I saw I didn't think were getting to the root of it.  Finally I saw an ART specialist (also a chiro) and he got me to the point where I was able to run again.  Now it is just all about managing it.  Which really basically means staying on top of flexibility!

2012-12-23 8:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
mambos - 2012-12-23 5:15 PM

Well my long run is done, a little shorter than expected but finished at 9 miles total! Park was covered in just enough snow and ice to make things tricky, slip sliding all over the place! Hips and knees are a little sore but nothing major! I also managed to run at an 8:45 pace which is about 30s faster than the normal long run! I guess I can accept the shorter distance

Great pace!!! Escpecially on ice.

2012-12-23 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4546320

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
strikyr - 2012-12-23 7:22 PM

Jo63 - 2012-12-23 6:50 PM

JoAnne my apologies and of course you'd be a Packers fan I guess I just misunderstood, well you must be very happy with the Packers performance today.

No need to apologize and yes I am grinining from ear to ear!
2012-12-23 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4545694

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Jo63 - 2012-12-23 4:49 AM Man I go shopping for a day and Iam 4 pages behind.... I got a call from one of my sisters yesterday she just found out she has breast cancer her name is Margie, could you please send some prayers her way, she has an appointment Wednesday with a specialist to find out the details.

Prayers and Blessings to Margie......and to you.

2012-12-23 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4546360

User image

New York

This is going to be my first season trying multi-sport and I'm hoping to keep it simple to start with. My biggest goal this year would be to complete my first triathlon. Of course, that is going to mean getting my non-existent swim up to speed and getting back into running. I have this rough timeline for the next 3-4 months in my head - I'd love to hear from your thoughts on it. 

1) Use the winter to improve the swim. Swim 4x a week. Get to 100 continuous yards by the end of Jan; and one continuous mile by April 15. I saw a few people point to this site (http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html) for a 6 week plan once you can get to 700 yards of almost continuous swimming.

2)  Complete the galloway couch to 10k training program by March 30th. I have no idea what my speed is going to be post my surgeries; so I don't have a time goal yet. 

3) Bike 2x a week during the winter. I've been quite active on the bike all year, so this is more on maintenance mode as I focus on the other two.

4) Harriman State Park Sprint tri on May 5; NYC tri on Jul 14

And most importantly, staying injury free and enjoying the journey every bit of the way!

2012-12-23 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4546405

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
trigal38 - 2012-12-23 9:31 PM

Tracy I'm so glad your power is back on! Hopefully it stays that way.

I'm reading all the goals and I think I'm in some kind of overachievers mentor group. I may need to switch to the Beer Drinker group, except I don't drink Beer......

Dina are you kidding? You're as driven or more driven then the rest of us here. You are definitely in the right group.

Edited by strikyr 2012-12-23 9:12 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119