BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2012-12-31 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4554671

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! OPEN
The first tri bike I built was a chinese frame I bought used here and it was great. The only problem I had was that the top tube was a little longer than what I needed so I felt stretched. it was a fit issue. Built a Planet X late 2011 and sold it after my HIM. When I decided to register for the B2B, I went ahead and found another planet X and built it up last week.

2012-12-31 7:46 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Veteran
I have a cold and bad sinus pressure so it looks like rest is on tap for me this week.
2012-12-31 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4554685

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

ramiedd - 2012-12-31 8:45 AM The first tri bike I built was a chinese frame I bought used here and it was great. The only problem I had was that the top tube was a little longer than what I needed so I felt stretched. it was a fit issue. Built a Planet X late 2011 and sold it after my HIM. When I decided to register for the B2B, I went ahead and found another planet X and built it up last week.

Good, always nice to hear another positive review. I haven't actually purchased the frame. I'm going to find someone who can "fit" me before buying. I can't decide if I should go with a 52 or 54, so I'm going to bring sizes/specs of my last bike and the chinese ones to compare with him.

2012-12-31 7:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

January Goals:

- WAKE UP! I want to workout before work, but that requires a 5:30 wake up and I'm not a morning person...at all. Taking volunteers for my AM wake up call. Seriously.

- Continue to work with coach and follow my plan. 

- Use VO2 Max and other testing to get more specific HR zones.

- Order all necessary bike parts. i.e. don't need Zipps for the trainer.

- Continue to lose weight.

- Work more on strength and core. 

2012-12-31 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4554676

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Mission2be - 2012-12-31 8:37 AM Today's activity will be preparing to dance the night away. I hope everyone has a happy New Year!!!

Happy New Years to you and the rest of the group as well!  I hope you all have a safe night and a good time! 

2012-12-31 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4554672

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ramiedd - 2012-12-31 8:35 AM Bill, Thanks for the advise and you may have just changed my January goals and plan. I definitely need to add some running frequency. I do walk my two German Sheppard dogs 1.5 miles every day and sort of treat that as just a cool down or warm up before a run. I never count that towards training time. I could start running another time or two a week when the kids go to bed. I have read about doing 30 minute transitional runs after a good indoor work out. So with that in mind, my January goal will be 5 runs a week and sprinkle in a couple of indoor trainer workouts. it will be a lot easier for me to add distance and time to my cycling later on in the year, but I have to focus on running at this point.

You have a very good point!  I like to tie a short transition run onto the bike rides as it provides an opportunity to increase the frequency, plus it is more convenient than doing a second workout later in the day.  20 - 30 minutes is plenty when you are just going from 3 to 4 or 5 runs a week. 

The bike/run balance is a challenge for a lot of folks.  Many think that a bad run is due to run training, and it very well could be, but in many cases it is caused by over exerting on the bike. 

2012-12-31 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4554693

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
zee744 - 2012-12-31 8:52 AM

January Goals:

- WAKE UP! I want to workout before work, but that requires a 5:30 wake up and I'm not a morning person...at all. Taking volunteers for my AM wake up call. Seriously.

I have the opposite problem, morning workouts are not an issue, lunch time runs sometimes workout ok, but until summer time, I struggle with evening workouts. 

Good goals though!

2012-12-31 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4554754

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
kenj - 2012-12-31 9:37 AM

ramiedd - 2012-12-31 8:35 AM Bill, Thanks for the advise and you may have just changed my January goals and plan. I definitely need to add some running frequency. I do walk my two German Sheppard dogs 1.5 miles every day and sort of treat that as just a cool down or warm up before a run. I never count that towards training time. I could start running another time or two a week when the kids go to bed. I have read about doing 30 minute transitional runs after a good indoor work out. So with that in mind, my January goal will be 5 runs a week and sprinkle in a couple of indoor trainer workouts. it will be a lot easier for me to add distance and time to my cycling later on in the year, but I have to focus on running at this point.

You have a very good point!  I like to tie a short transition run onto the bike rides as it provides an opportunity to increase the frequency, plus it is more convenient than doing a second workout later in the day.  20 - 30 minutes is plenty when you are just going from 3 to 4 or 5 runs a week. 

The bike/run balance is a challenge for a lot of folks.  Many think that a bad run is due to run training, and it very well could be, but in many cases it is caused by over exerting on the bike. 

Is "transition run" essentially the same as a brick?

I think a lot of it has to do with not being used to going from riding to running. Bricks are crucial for that. The first 10-15 minutes off the bike are going to suck in any race, even more so if you're overexerting. That's why bricks are so important. Also, I think a lot of people focus too much on going too hard and less on pacing.

2012-12-31 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4554756

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
kenj - 2012-12-31 9:39 AM

January Goals:

I have the opposite problem, morning workouts are not an issue, lunch time runs sometimes workout ok, but until summer time, I struggle with evening workouts. 

Good goals though!

If I didn't have hardwood floors and live in a 2nd floor apartment I'd be doing trainer rides til 1am. But, I'm courteous, so I can't. I really do need/want to get up. It would give me a lot more training time and free time if I could just get out of bed.

2012-12-31 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4554767

User image

Veteran
As I understand it, it is an upper steady zone effort. I read an article about a 10 hour a week training plan for the time crunched person like me and the coach actually has four runs a week, but three of the runs are after the bike effort and all 30 minutes. Then one long run a week. Keep in mind that these are all survival type training plans. They are going to get you to the finish line.
2012-12-31 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4554767

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
zee744 - 2012-12-31 9:45 AM
kenj - 2012-12-31 9:37 AM

Is "transition run" essentially the same as a brick?

I think a lot of it has to do with not being used to going from riding to running. Bricks are crucial for that. The first 10-15 minutes off the bike are going to suck in any race, even more so if you're overexerting. That's why bricks are so important. Also, I think a lot of people focus too much on going too hard and less on pacing.

My definition of a transition run is just a run done after the bike without worrying about time.  I may take a few minutes to grab a snack or just let the legs settle a bit.  It is more of a matter of convenience then a training tool. 

I refer to a brick as setting up a transition area in the garage and actually practice that as well as getting out on the legs while they are still feeling the impact of the bike.

But, you would be correct as most people refer to the 2 terms interchangeably.

2012-12-31 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4554772

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
zee744 - 2012-12-31 8:48 AM

January Goals:

Good goals though!

If I didn't have hardwood floors and live in a 2nd floor apartment I'd be doing trainer rides til 1am. But, I'm courteous, so I can't. I really do need/want to get up. It would give me a lot more training time and free time if I could just get out of bed.

Nate, I'd give you a wake up call if we didn't live in different time zones! It's funny, my kids are in school all day, but I choose to get up at 5am every day during the week to go before the kids are up. Plus when training ramps up, it's easier to have one workout out of the way earlier. Evening workouts are SO HARD for me!! Ugh. I avoid them at all costs. So funny how everyone's different.

Still working on Jan goals. Family's still here, so I'm hoping to get outside for a run this afternoon, before the evening festivities. Hope everyone has a fun night!!
2012-12-31 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Oh, here's my bio:

Name-Johanne Roberts

Story-I come from a non-athletic background as far as playing sports growing up. I ran a little bit in college and then picked up running again about 4 years ago. I spent a year running to help lose some weight and then thought it would be fun to try a tri for variety. I first had to learn how to swim and breathe at the same time! I spent my first year doing sprints and finished with an olympic. The second year I did some Olympics and finished with 2 HIM. Last year I did my first Ironman. It was a huge challenge and I'm really glad I it.

Family-I'm 52 now but I'm going to still be 50andgettingfit. Married to Dave for the last 30 years. Mom to Stephen, 26, Kathleen, 24 and Laura, 22. We had an empty nest for a year and then they have started coming back. What is wrong with that picture? Haha! Stephen graduated from college and is working. Kathleen graduated and is working. Laura is a senior in college and just headed back to school for her last semester. Life is pretty good for our kids. I work very part time and spend the rest of my time working out and riding my horses. Life is pretty good for me too.

Current training-I'm in the middle of getting my schedule together after having a pretty light December (after IMAZ). 

2012 Races-Last year my A race was Ironman Arizona. Amazing day Along the way, I ran a marathon, a couple of HIM, some Oly's and some other runs. Everything was in prep for November.

2013 Races-This year I'm planning on a HIM, a marathon, Ragner Relay and some Oly's and runs.

2012 Goals-I'm still working on specific goals but generally I'd like to take the year to get a bigger base and then to get some speed. I've discovered I can train and get good endurance, now I need to train and get the speed to go with it.

Weight Loss-I've lost 70 lbs in the last 4 years and I'd like to lose about 10 more to make it easier on my body. Training for my IM led me to some really good diet changes and I found it was pretty easy to lose weight. Now I need to maintain it!

2012-12-31 9:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

Today I went to the gym - did some strength training but I didn't realize they closed at 2pm for new years eve. I thought they'd be open till about 5pm! so I only did half of it but I guess that's better than nothing.

Goals for Jan.

1) Out on bike (or decent time on trainer ) at least 3 times a week

2) Learn some bike lingo so I know what the rest of you are talking about (I really am worse than a novice about bike things)

3) Get bike shoes and put on new cleat/ pedal things onto bike.

I know all these are mostly bike related but this is definitely my weakest area.  I think I can do the run in a reasonable time and I can swim the distance (although I will have to work at speed there also).

Here's a question - in the past it has been drummed into me that a body needs at least a day off from  exercise every week to recover. However, with most of the HIM plans I've looked at I don't see how you can fit this in.  Because we are doing different things every day is a day off a fortnight acceptable?

Jennifer

2012-12-31 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4554907

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
50andgettingfit - 2012-12-31 10:52 AM

Oh, here's my bio:

Name-Johanne Roberts

Story-I come from a non-athletic background as far as playing sports growing up. I ran a little bit in college and then picked up running again about 4 years ago. I spent a year running to help lose some weight and then thought it would be fun to try a tri for variety. I first had to learn how to swim and breathe at the same time! I spent my first year doing sprints and finished with an olympic. The second year I did some Olympics and finished with 2 HIM. Last year I did my first Ironman. It was a huge challenge and I'm really glad I it.

Family-I'm 52 now but I'm going to still be 50andgettingfit. Married to Dave for the last 30 years. Mom to Stephen, 26, Kathleen, 24 and Laura, 22. We had an empty nest for a year and then they have started coming back. What is wrong with that picture? Haha! Stephen graduated from college and is working. Kathleen graduated and is working. Laura is a senior in college and just headed back to school for her last semester. Life is pretty good for our kids. I work very part time and spend the rest of my time working out and riding my horses. Life is pretty good for me too.

Current training-I'm in the middle of getting my schedule together after having a pretty light December (after IMAZ). 

2012 Races-Last year my A race was Ironman Arizona. Amazing day Along the way, I ran a marathon, a couple of HIM, some Oly's and some other runs. Everything was in prep for November.

2013 Races-This year I'm planning on a HIM, a marathon, Ragner Relay and some Oly's and runs.

2012 Goals-I'm still working on specific goals but generally I'd like to take the year to get a bigger base and then to get some speed. I've discovered I can train and get good endurance, now I need to train and get the speed to go with it.

Weight Loss-I've lost 70 lbs in the last 4 years and I'd like to lose about 10 more to make it easier on my body. Training for my IM led me to some really good diet changes and I found it was pretty easy to lose weight. Now I need to maintain it!

Impressive journey over the last 4 years!  Congratulations and welcome to the group!

2012-12-31 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4554909

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
jennifer65 - 2012-12-31 10:56 AM

Today I went to the gym - did some strength training but I didn't realize they closed at 2pm for new years eve. I thought they'd be open till about 5pm! so I only did half of it but I guess that's better than nothing.

Goals for Jan.

2) Learn some bike lingo so I know what the rest of you are talking about (I really am worse than a novice about bike things)

I know all these are mostly bike related but this is definitely my weakest area.  I think I can do the run in a reasonable time and I can swim the distance (although I will have to work at speed there also).

Here's a question - in the past it has been drummed into me that a body needs at least a day off from  exercise every week to recover. However, with most of the HIM plans I've looked at I don't see how you can fit this in.  Because we are doing different things every day is a day off a fortnight acceptable?

Jennifer

I ALWAYS take a day off per week. It is very important for recovery. I do some stretching, but there would have to be a rare circumstance for me to not take a day off. This week (Monday-Sunday) I might not, but that is because I had a couple days off last week and the previous week. 

Also, built into plans will be a "recovery week." Typically its every 4th week. You'll do 3 weeks of building on time, then cut back the 4th and repeat. 

2012-12-31 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4554909

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
jennifer65 - 2012-12-31 10:56 AM

Goals for Jan.

Jennifer

I was surprised myself at the pool/gym this morning they had posted a sign that they were closing at 1.   We are here for a full day.

I find that rest days vary from person to person.  Some people need a rest day every week, as much for a mental break as a physical break.  Others, like me, can get by without the weekly rest day.  Most plans have a recovery week built in every 3 or 4 weeks and for some, this is enough.  What I have done in the past is to use one day a week as a swim only day and that gives my legs enough of a break to hit the bike or run the next day hard again.  Looking at the plan my new coach has put together, he follows some of these principles as well.  But, and this is big, you MUST listen to your body and if you need to skip a workout due to feeling fatigued, you need to do it.  One missed workout in a 17 or 20 week plan is nothing.  Most of my rest days come from conflicts or travel days at work rather than being scheduled. 

Don't be shy Jennifer, or anyone else, about asking questions if a discussion uses terms you aren't familiar with.  Some of the bike terms can be confusing even if you have been doing this for a while. 

2012-12-31 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4554898

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Omahabritt - 2012-12-31 10:49 AM

January Goals:

Good goals though!

Nate, I'd give you a wake up call if we didn't live in different time zones! It's funny, my kids are in school all day, but I choose to get up at 5am every day during the week to go before the kids are up. Plus when training ramps up, it's easier to have one workout out of the way earlier. Evening workouts are SO HARD for me!! Ugh. I avoid them at all costs. So funny how everyone's different. Still working on Jan goals. Family's still here, so I'm hoping to get outside for a run this afternoon, before the evening festivities. Hope everyone has a fun night!!

Then I think for the benefit of the group, and so we're all on the same page, we should all adopt EST for the coming months.

2012-12-31 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4554931

User image

Expert
San Jose
zee744 - 2012-12-31 8:09 AM

January Goals:

Good goals though!

Nate, I'd give you a wake up call if we didn't live in different time zones! It's funny, my kids are in school all day, but I choose to get up at 5am every day during the week to go before the kids are up. Plus when training ramps up, it's easier to have one workout out of the way earlier. Evening workouts are SO HARD for me!! Ugh. I avoid them at all costs. So funny how everyone's different. Still working on Jan goals. Family's still here, so I'm hoping to get outside for a run this afternoon, before the evening festivities. Hope everyone has a fun night!!

Then I think for the benefit of the group, and so we're all on the same page, we should all adopt EST for the coming months.

Can I go to bed when you guys do?

2012-12-31 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4555106

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
50andgettingfit - 2012-12-31 11:37 AM

January Goals:

Good goals though!

Ughh... it is still dark here - EST would be hard but not as hard as England time would be!

2012-12-31 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4554550

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Omahabritt - 2012-12-30 11:49 PM Got a little time so I'm posting my bio: NAME: omahabritt/Ali Britt STORY: I'm 41, although I still get carded occasionally, which just makes me laugh. I'm a runner at heart, ran hs track successfully, but it was a small town. I got into tris about 5 years ago, but only super sprints (swimming always held me back). Last year I decided it was time to step it up. Read some books, started swimming with my head under the water, got a few private swim lessons, & completed my first HIM at the HIM Kansas. The conditions were tough, but I LOVED it. An Ironman has always been on my life list so this year I volunteered again at IM Moo & signed up the next day. (My tri claim to fame--I made the IM Moo video for this year. I was in a kayak on the inside of the first turn buoy, moo'ing in the video) I'm most comfortable with running with my favorite being the HM distance, I think I've done about 10. I always said "I never wanted to run a marathon unless it's at the end of an Ironman". Well, after signing up for IM Moo, my type-A personality thought doing a marathon in prep would be a good idea. I choose a hilly course on purpose. I'm glad I did it, but it's not my distance. I find the most true joy in cycling, it's just so-much-fun!! Swimming is my struggle. I made great strides last year. I am very comfortable in the water but not fast. I think I may have some form issues. I'm happiest swimming 3 days a week in training, but it's not something I would default to for exercise. I'm extremely fortunate to be able to stay at home with our kids. During the school year they are in school during the day so I have a lot of time to train. FAMILY STATUS: Married to my wonderful, understanding & supportive husband, Kevin for 13 yrs. Two kids- a boy 9 & girl 7. CURRENT TRAINING: Throughly enjoying the "off season". I'm still going to the gym, but not following a plan & giving myself some flexibility. I ran my 1st Marathon in mid November, so obviously I had a big run focus the months prior. I haven't been to the pool since September, when the outdoor pool closed. Starting Jan I'll be reacquainting myself with the water & focusing on getting all 3 disciplines in more equally. 2012 RACES: 3 HM, HIM, Marathon, a handful of 5ks, couple urban adventure races, & 40+ flight stair race, sure I'm forgetting some others 2013 Races: just starting to think about this year, so far I've only got IM Moo in Sept & a stair race in Feb. I'll probably do HIM Kansas again, but for time & others to keep me honest & motivated. WEIGHTLOSS: The holidays have not been kind. Need a serious detox in Jan! I could stand to loss about 30lbs to be my idea weight. Hoping to get some off before focused plan training starts in March. I really enjoy the insight & motivation the mentor groups on BT provide. I'm not a complete newbie, but still have SO MUCH to learn. Looking forward to the exchange of information & getting to know you all better!

Ali - how funny - I am a stay at home mom with a 9 yr old boy and 7 yr old girl too!!!! Great times, but I am starting to be ready for school to start back!

2012-12-31 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4554625

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
kenj - 2012-12-31 6:30 AM

Started off the day with a swim, the main set was 3 X 300 test to determine T pace.  Easy run later on, more than likely on the treadmill.

What are the rest of you up to today?

I think I will stay off the icy/slushy roads today!  Gym workout: bike and run. Too hard to get on the trainer with the kids at home.

quiet time at home tonight - maybe I will stay up til midnight, but probably not!

2012-12-31 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4555106

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
50andgettingfit - 2012-12-31 12:37 PM

January Goals:

Good goals though!

As long as I don't have to wake up until 5:30AM your time it's fine with me. 

2012-12-31 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4554625

User image

Peekskill, NY
kenj - 2012-12-31 7:30 AM

Started off the day with a swim, the main set was 3 X 300 test to determine T pace.  Easy run later on, more than likely on the treadmill.

What are the rest of you up to today?

I headed out for my 1st run - post flu - and wasn't to upset with it. Left the heart monitor at home and just went easy for about 6 1/2 miles. Breathing was OK, but had a cough for about 20 mins afterward - which has thankfully since left! I felt more confident about my upcoming marathon and am looking forward to the warmer Florida weather for a few days. Funny thing is I used to like the cold (but that was about 30 lbs ago, too!). I think my plan for the taper will be to take the advice and keep my remaining runs shorter with a few days of some yoga thrown in-between to stretch things out a bit. I hope everyone has a good and safe night!
2012-12-31 1:07 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I think we have most US time zones covered and a couple of international ones so we can get up in about any time you want!  As long as you get up and train, all is good!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64