BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2012-12-28 11:55 AM
in reply to: #4551816

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.
Baowolf - 2012-12-28 9:42 AM

Jim, I hope that either your logs are not up to date or that you are not planning on doing a marathon 12 weeks out.  I see 3-5 miles per month over the past 2 months.  If you build 3,4,5,3,6,7,4,8,9,5,10,6  race puts you in lousy shape for a half let alone a full mary.  At least tell me that you have been running but not logging on bt?

I do plan on getting through this year without any injuries or illness so I will forget about a full! Maybe a HM in April or May?

2012-12-28 12:25 PM
in reply to: #4551846

ironjim - 2012-12-28 12:55 PM
Baowolf - 2012-12-28 9:42 AM

Jim, I hope that either your logs are not up to date or that you are not planning on doing a marathon 12 weeks out.  I see 3-5 miles per month over the past 2 months.  If you build 3,4,5,3,6,7,4,8,9,5,10,6  race puts you in lousy shape for a half let alone a full mary.  At least tell me that you have been running but not logging on bt?

I do plan on getting through this year without any injuries or illness so I will forget about a full! Maybe a HM in April or May?

I think April/May gives you enough time to train

2012-12-28 3:08 PM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Yups half mary in april or may should be fine.  What has been your weekly miles and long run Jim, will give me a better idea of where you are. 

For me I let it warm up to 14F before going out for my run today.  My first run this week in not 4 inches of snow. Was only icy for 1 mile.

So remember shoes are typically only good for 250 to 350 miles.  Signs of shoes dying for me are sore arches of my feet, sore knees after a run of not so much distance (5-10 miles). 

New folks, get shoes that are properly fit for you.  A good running store will video you running on a treadmill see how much you pronate or whatever and get you into the right level of stability.  (do not buy their arch suports or inserts.... ).  Also the store will let you run around the block on a couple different pairs so you get ones that feel right.

2012-12-28 6:19 PM

User image

Veteran

Jay - Glad you signed up for a HIM. Making the commitment can really change the way you train and the motivation to get it done because it will matter on race day.

Patrick - 130 is incredible and the pics look great.

Larry - So glad you are back. I was beginning to wonder if you'd be with us again.

Carol - I agree with the feeling of being overwhelmed. I cannot keep up with all that is going on, but I'll do what I can.

Gonna go meet and hang out with local triathletes tonight. Oh, and I have decided to follow the advice to cut down on chocolate starting in the new year. I'm gonna limit myself to eating it on Wednesday's and Sunday's. Eliminating it would be too much for me, but I want to practice some moderation.

2012-12-28 7:49 PM
in reply to: #4551133

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
KateTri1 - 2012-12-28 3:35 AM

Jim- what happened during Vineman? I'm in training right now. I feel like I signed up for a 70.3 a bit prematurely as this is coming into my 3rd year and I've progressed on my training pretty slowly. I'm hitting forty and everything just seems to be harder.

Kate, to be honest, I have a hard time accepting that I am not 25 anymore! My summers are crazy busy with kid stuff, vacations and such. In June we took a staycation in Santa Monica at a friends house so my family could relax at the beach and I ran my practice and his practice (I'm a chiropractor) for 2 weeks. I drove 200 miles a day for almost 2 weeks to do this and I didn't miss a work out, during my highest build point! My body broke down and I ended up with pneumonia and had to shut down for a couple months!

The good thing in this is I think I have finally accepted that I cannot continue to do the things I used to get away when I was younger! This year I will be very attentive to my nutrition, eliminate or at least drastically limit my alcohol consumption, and stick to my plan!

2012-12-28 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
Larry, glad to see you back too buddy!

2012-12-28 8:54 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

For our beginners:

Bare bones what do you need:

A bike, doesnt have to be a road bike just have 2 wheeles.  If it is a mountain bike or cruizer get flat/rounded/slick not knobby tires.  Aluminum entry race bikes start around $850 and no reason to spend more than $2000 on a mid range race bike.  Components make a big difference talk here before dropping a grand or two on a bike.  This is however the time to buy (you will save 500 to 1000). 

Shoes: good appropriate level stability shoes (buy online this time of year 40 percent off). You should have elastic or zip laces for you shoes so you can just slip them on wihtout tying. 

Socks: did you hear me about no cotton.  Socks must whick.  Winter in the snow and slush sucks have wool in them (smartwool) they own.  You can litearlly run 20 mile in slush and your feet will be warm, don't ask me how.

Race clothes: top and bottom tri outfit.  These run $25 on sale to $100, start cheaper if doing sprints, if doing an IM... think about what is important to you.  A one piece makes pitstops harder.  You swim in your trisuit and then bike and run in it. 

Cold weather: wool socks, pants and top (with hood) that are windproof, mittens/gloves windproof, a thin baclava (thing goes over your head one opening for eyes nose and mouth) if you are running in colder than -15F then this can be neopreme.  To keep your water from freezing it needs to be inside your coat. 

Do not run/bike with music.  People die that way.  If you need music do it on the trainer or treadmill.  No texting on the bike.  And no phoncalls while you are running the Boston Marathon lol ask me about it...

Oh you probably want thicker bike shorts for workouts (spare tube, pump. 02s tire tools, etc. )

Questions?

Thats pretty much it.  There are race day esentials for when we get closer.

2012-12-29 5:16 AM
in reply to: #4552561

User image

Expert
Baowolf - 2012-12-28 9:54 PM

And no phoncalls while you are running the Boston Marathon lol ask me about it...

Officially asking you about it.. :=)

2012-12-29 5:21 AM

User image

Expert

Waking up to rain.. I've run in a lot of it, but living in Florida? It's made me a wimp. I hope it clears out. I was hoping to bike the Pinellas Trail today while visiting my parents. 

"Rain rain. Go away. Come again.. late tonight"

2012-12-29 7:14 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Kate, that trail looks really nice, hopefully the rain will go away so you can get out there!  It's my 3rd season also .

Samantha, I'm with you...everything in moderation .

Jim, this is your year!  I'm betting that recognizing the need for a bit more rest will serve you well.

More later, off to the lake to run!

2012-12-29 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Snow here in Virginia, so it could be worse, Kate :-)  We're headed down to Florida to visit my Mom next week.  Always a welcome break from the winter!  The Pinellas trail looks fantastic.  I have to admit, I always feel rather spoiled biking in Florida in the winter, even if it is on my Dad's old beach bike.  So flat!

Last day of family here, so will probably call it a rest day and eat chocolate!  I'm going to have to put on my type A personality hat in the new year and get serious about nutrition.  Definitely fallen off the wagon in 2012.  May start logging food.  Patrick, those pictures provide some awesome inspiration.  Congrats man.  That is one seriously great accomplishment!  Tips are most welcome :-)

Have a great day, everyone!

Stu

2012-12-29 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
To those of you training for your first - I envy you. The reason is the opportunity you have to cross the finish line for the first time. To see the work you've put in, beating back doubts, sticking with it, and making through what is likely something out of your comfort zone, to do what you, and surely others, have thought undo able. Crossing that line may be one of the best feelings you ever experience. Make it happen - its worth the effort!!!
2012-12-29 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Unusual experience today.  On my run, decided to explore a wooded, damp area.  Had to turn back pretty quickly because lots of downed trees.  Stored my water bottle at the end (thankfully not on the ground) and finished out my run.  Came back and was looking for my water bottle and came across a mocassin (sp?) snake.  It's Dec and there is a snake?  I didn't stick around to find out if it was still alive but a snake, really?  I don't think I'll ever go into woods again.  I'm so snake-phobic that it's scary.

2012-12-29 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4552561

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Baowolf - 2012-12-28 9:54 PM

For our beginners:

Bare bones what do you need:

A bike, doesnt have to be a road bike just have 2 wheeles.  If it is a mountain bike or cruizer get flat/rounded/slick not knobby tires.  Aluminum entry race bikes start around $850 and no reason to spend more than $2000 on a mid range race bike.  Components make a big difference talk here before dropping a grand or two on a bike.  This is however the time to buy (you will save 500 to 1000). 

Shoes: good appropriate level stability shoes (buy online this time of year 40 percent off). You should have elastic or zip laces for you shoes so you can just slip them on wihtout tying. 

Socks: did you hear me about no cotton.  Socks must whick.  Winter in the snow and slush sucks have wool in them (smartwool) they own.  You can litearlly run 20 mile in slush and your feet will be warm, don't ask me how.

Race clothes: top and bottom tri outfit.  These run $25 on sale to $100, start cheaper if doing sprints, if doing an IM... think about what is important to you.  A one piece makes pitstops harder.  You swim in your trisuit and then bike and run in it. 

Cold weather: wool socks, pants and top (with hood) that are windproof, mittens/gloves windproof, a thin baclava (thing goes over your head one opening for eyes nose and mouth) if you are running in colder than -15F then this can be neopreme.  To keep your water from freezing it needs to be inside your coat. 

Do not run/bike with music.  People die that way.  If you need music do it on the trainer or treadmill.  No texting on the bike.  And no phoncalls while you are running the Boston Marathon lol ask me about it...

Oh you probably want thicker bike shorts for workouts (spare tube, pump. 02s tire tools, etc. )

Questions?

Thats pretty much it.  There are race day esentials for when we get closer.

I do have some questions Steve!

Bike: I am pretty clueless here.  I bought a used Felt S32 from a co-worker with a trainer for a reasonable price (I was looking at Craigslist and his price was comparable before the extras I got)  I got some other goodies included a pump, bike helmet, and trainer...well worth the cost.  However, when it comes to what my needs are for improvement vs. flashy unessential... I'm pretty sure that I'll add your hydration kit to my bike.....but I know I need a flat repair kit etc.  All help here will be appreciated.

Shoes: Are you talking about bike shoes or running shoes?  I'm guessing bike shoes.

Socks: All good here.  I've run enough to know the importance of a good sock

Race clothes: I bought my first pair of tri shorts and plan on using that along with an under armour type shirt....is that good enough?

Cold weather: I live in Mass...all good with that one lol. 

Do you have any bike shorts you'd suggest?  I was planning on using my tri shorts but I would like to know alternatives incase that fails me.

2012-12-29 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4553171

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Pink Socks - 2012-12-29 4:34 PM

Unusual experience today.  On my run, decided to explore a wooded, damp area.  Had to turn back pretty quickly because lots of downed trees.  Stored my water bottle at the end (thankfully not on the ground) and finished out my run.  Came back and was looking for my water bottle and came across a mocassin (sp?) snake.  It's Dec and there is a snake?  I didn't stick around to find out if it was still alive but a snake, really?  I don't think I'll ever go into woods again.  I'm so snake-phobic that it's scary.

Pam, stick with cleared out trails....you'll be a lot less likely to encounter a snake!

2012-12-29 4:53 PM
in reply to: #4553171

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Pink Socks - 2012-12-29 3:34 PM

Came back and was looking for my water bottle and came across a mocassin (sp?) snake. 

Glad you did not linger to find out it's status!  Could make for a faster than planned run.

Stu, I'm not ready to give up the chocolate completely either. 

And on the ipod, not on the bike for me, and I ditch it on the run when tri training since you can't wear it in the races.  But when mostly pure run training on sidewalks and park paths, I like to have it. YMMV.

Hit my longest run mileage ever this week at 57 miles.  Didn't really plan it that way, but since last week's long run was pushed to Sunday instead of Saturday, it worked out that way.  Sort of like bunching tax deductions into one year .

2012-12-29 6:19 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

Squirt - very impressive running week!

Medeiros13 - Definitely need to add a spare tube and either CO2 or small pump. I have had good luck with CO2 but carry 2 just in case of a hiccup. I had a flat today and was worried I should probably be carrying 2 spare tubes. 

I got in a good 40 mile bike ride with some decent hills in the mix. I need to buy some foot covers because my feet were frozen! Planned to do another 5 miles but had to cut it short. It was about 50 out which is cold here. 

2012-12-29 7:35 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Jay for races I have 2 bike levers (for tire removal) 1-2 spare tubes depending on race distance, a min inflator with 2 CO2 and a hadn pump on the frame in case it goes really bad.  Als on the bike kit are various tools 1 to remove a link of chain / repair various allen wrench screwdrivers tool.  You can pick up a basic kit at any bike shop and it attaches typicaly behind the bike seat.  The fancy water battole thing is not needed for sprints or really an Oly mostly for HIM and IM, but you can use it in traing too.  Just dont break the bank on extra stuff you dont yet need.  Oh and I put 25,000 miles on a Felt S22 so you probably got  a good deal nice bike. I was mostly talking about having good running shoes.  Although the first couple rides in clipless bike shoes ... can be interesting.  Crashes are different when clipped in also.

For bike shorts I wear 2XU stuff.  It is good quality and I get a discount so works well.  For practice rides one typically uses not their fancy race stuff.  Some folks like thin bike shorts, some like more padding.  You kind of have to try a pair out and see how it goes.  Again look on any bike shop or bike websight and there are pleanty to look at.  Trying stuff on for fit is always better than not. 

Ok so I was running the Boston Marathon and was cruising along at a 7:10 mpm pace.  I look at the guy next to me and he is all chatting with his wife and kids on the cell phone.  Hi hon did you get in ok, how was the flight... etc..  I am all dude you are in the freeking Boston Marathon, put down the phone and take a look around enjoy the moment and stop texting while talking to your wife that is rude er wait nm bye.  Was just soo like what?

For cold bike rides wool socks (smartwool), tape the hole up in the bottom of the shoe where the water drains out (ducttape works fine) and ya neopreme covers help. 

It was a blistering 24F here today, a lot warmer than yesterday, roads still icy even for jogging/walking. 

Edited by Baowolf 2012-12-29 7:40 PM
2012-12-29 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4553187

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Hi Jay,

you did not mention pedals? You maybe aware (I was not...) that not all pedals/cleats are compatible. Cleats are not too difficult to install but beware of knee pains and re-adust if needed. Also cleat come with a float (for the brand Look that I use). Good thing is that you will be able to test this on the trainer. You also  need to get a fit to avoid injuries, or spend time tweak it on the trainer. Not a must but finding a "good" local bike shop is useful since you will need servicing. 

Secondary things to consider, a fan for the time on the trainer is nice, and a bike computer is a great tool to provide feedback on speed/cadence/distance. There are basic models that are not as expensive as the gps models. 

Hope this helps and enjoy your time in the cave, a luxury our southern friends envy us :-). How many inches of snow did you get btw?

Fred

2012-12-29 9:37 PM

If you don't have a bike, and don't want to spend a lot of money, I bought mine in Craigslist. I knew nothing about bikes but I sent the specs to a friend of mine who is an avid cyclist. He told me what questions to ask. In the end I got a good deal on a used bike for $300
2012-12-29 10:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
Pam, your story reminds me of own of my own! When I was preparing for IMC I had a Tri coach that lived in Orlando and he invited me to come out and train with him for a couple weeks. We went on a 50 mile ride on a trail that literally went through a marsh and I was using a disc and going about 25 mph. I saw what looked like a big black stick lying across the trail but when I got close to it, it turned out to be a water moccasin! I was going too fast to stop so instinct took over and I bunny-hopped it! My coach saw the whole thing and agreed it was the most amazing bike related incident he'd ever seen!

2012-12-29 10:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.

Edited by ironjim 2012-12-29 10:10 PM
2012-12-30 4:59 AM
in reply to: #4553381

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
fdulak - 2012-12-29 8:40 PM

Hi Jay,

you did not mention pedals? You maybe aware (I was not...) that not all pedals/cleats are compatible. Cleats are not too difficult to install but beware of knee pains and re-adust if needed. Also cleat come with a float (for the brand Look that I use). Good thing is that you will be able to test this on the trainer. You also  need to get a fit to avoid injuries, or spend time tweak it on the trainer. Not a must but finding a "good" local bike shop is useful since you will need servicing. 

Secondary things to consider, a fan for the time on the trainer is nice, and a bike computer is a great tool to provide feedback on speed/cadence/distance. There are basic models that are not as expensive as the gps models. 

Hope this helps and enjoy your time in the cave, a luxury our southern friends envy us :-). How many inches of snow did you get btw?

Fred

Hi Fred, thanks for the tip.  I found out about clip in shoes after I bought my bike and realized I needed them.  I'm fortunate that I have a good triathlon store near my work so they took care of me (I never realized bike shoes could go for 500 bucks lol)  I got a mid range pair of Specialized and they mounted the cleat in for me.  To Steve's point, the first few times out riding were interesting...nothing quite like the "oh crap, I'm falling and I don't know how to stop it" feeling I had.  Since you mentioned a bike computer....I got a Magellan Shift Up for XMAS that says its ANT compatible..excuse my ignorance but I don't know much about it.  I think that product is a way to track bike workouts...am I right?

Steve, thanks for the input.  I'm glad that you put some miles on a model that's close to the bike I picked up!  My first race this season will be a HIM (same race as Mike) so I think the hydration system will be necessary.  Loved the story about Boston lol!  I didn't have the experience at all.  The coolest thing I had was running with some celebraties/psuedo celebs like Tedy Bruschi and Ray Allen's mother.

PS- Fred, we got about 6-8 inches of that heavy, miserable snow.  Does shoveling count as cardio

2012-12-30 5:14 AM

New user
Norwalk, Ohio

Hi everyone.  My name is Larry, for new members to Steve's group.  I'm married with 4 kids, I teach, am a varsity assistant football coach, and youth coach to whatever my 2 boys can talk me into coaching.  Here is a link to my story I posted last summer about my journey to fat to Half Ironman in 6 months.  

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=451206&start=1

Here is also a before and after picture.  The first one is from January 2012 and the 2nd one is from July 2012, about 6 months apart.

I look forward to meeting all of the new members, and continuing to follow my old friends.

2012-12-30 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4553582

Larry I love your story! Thanks for sharing.I'm in the process of putting together my training/race schedule for 2013. Since my HIM is not until August I figured I'd start with an Olympic training schedule for my early races then transition to the longer/more intense schedule.I am running the Bermuda Triangle Challenge in a few weeks but as I mentioned before I haven't run much in the past month. I plan to treat it was a fun run weekend and not put to much pressure on myself.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52