BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-01-07 1:53 AM
in reply to: #4549367

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed
Also I will work on adding you all to my friends list in the next few days. I have it locked down for privacy reasons due to school and interviews coming up!!!

2013-01-07 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4565103

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - OPEN!
Cwlodyka - 2013-01-06 8:21 PM
jonD81 - 2013-01-06 1:47 PM

Cwlodyka - 2013-01-05 5:08 PM I got 80 mins on the bike and a really easy 3.5 mile run. Only my second brick workout, really just testing my ankle to see how things feel. I must say it felt great.

I'm in the same boat with swim lessons. Enquired about some at the Y the other day but have heard nothing back, not sure what they offer.

Alright, you're in on our swim resolution too then.  Once one of us gets some lessons I'm sure it will start pushing the others to pick it up too.

I did another swim today because I'm giving my hamstring a break from running and have a short bike planned later tonight.  Just worked on breathing and I'm just blown away at how much of a difference it makes.  I was trying to keep my head in the water as much as possible and inhale/exhale on opposite strokes, took my time, nice smooth strokes, definitely felt better about it all.

It's a deal. I've been watching a lot of you tube videos and reading up on articles on here to help me out. Obviously no sub for a lesson. But my breathing is pretty good (it helped most when I EXHALED hard and breathed more often). Pretty solid at breathing bilaterally but I need to work on my balance in the water with and arm extended... I always seem to be fighting it.

Yeah I need to start watching some videos to get a better idea of things.  If you see any really good ones let me know, can definitely use all the help I can get.

Don't know what's on tap for this week.  Kid is sick so I'm just hoping I don't catch whatever it is he has, although it's really impossible not to catch it to some degree.  I'm still waiting on my foot a bit before I go for any substantial type of run, kind of tweaked it during my 10k last week, so I'm guessing a bike-swim-bike-swim kind of week.

2013-01-07 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4565103

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Cwlodyka - 2013-01-06 8:21 PM

jonD81 - 2013-01-06 1:47 PM

Cwlodyka - 2013-01-05 5:08 PM I got 80 mins on the bike and a really easy 3.5 mile run. Only my second brick workout, really just testing my ankle to see how things feel. I must say it felt great.

I'm in the same boat with swim lessons. Enquired about some at the Y the other day but have heard nothing back, not sure what they offer.

Alright, you're in on our swim resolution too then.  Once one of us gets some lessons I'm sure it will start pushing the others to pick it up too.

I did another swim today because I'm giving my hamstring a break from running and have a short bike planned later tonight.  Just worked on breathing and I'm just blown away at how much of a difference it makes.  I was trying to keep my head in the water as much as possible and inhale/exhale on opposite strokes, took my time, nice smooth strokes, definitely felt better about it all.

It's a deal. I've been watching a lot of you tube videos and reading up on articles on here to help me out. Obviously no sub for a lesson. But my breathing is pretty good (it helped most when I EXHALED hard and breathed more often). Pretty solid at breathing bilaterally but I need to work on my balance in the water with and arm extended... I always seem to be fighting it.

I don't remember where I saw it but in my web searching of the same topics I came across something you might want to try. It's inefficient to breath every other stroke (same side every time), so a lot of people say you should breathe every 3 strokes, what I ran across suggested that you should do a combination, ie., 2 strokes, breathe, 3 strokes, breathe, 2, 3, 2, 3,... I haven't tried this yet as I'm having a hard time getting back in the water lately but this is supposed to make it easier to sight and maintain a good amount of O2 so you don't go anaerobic during the swim.
2013-01-07 11:03 AM

User image

Champion
Jon, deff be careful with the foot. That can be the sort of thing where a few days off it now can prevent months if you over do it a bit.

And I hear you on the being sick/catching it. I think half the people around me in the last two weeks have been sick!
2013-01-07 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4566061

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

newbz - 2013-01-07 12:03 PM Jon, deff be careful with the foot. That can be the sort of thing where a few days off it now can prevent months if you over do it a bit. And I hear you on the being sick/catching it. I think half the people around me in the last two weeks have been sick!

Yup, I want to get out there and get faster but it's only January, if there's a time to heal it's right now.  The bike has no impact on it and swimming actually feels great to stretch it out, so for this week I'll be sticking to those two.

2013-01-07 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Got a great bike workout in yesterday but couldn't convince the DS to go for a run because he wanted to play with Legos... This morning woke up with congestion so turned over to try to sleep it off instead of morning workout, I think it paid off, cross my fingers. Hope others had a better start to the week.

2013-01-07 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4565057

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Leegoocrap - 2013-01-06 7:52 PM

Alright guys, I'd appreciate if everyone would copy and paste the table below into your training log (check my page if you want to see what I mean) This'll give you quick access to everyone's profile/logs. If anything needs changed on it let me know asap.

Beyond that, I'd like everyone to add everyone else on the list to their friends... you add people by clicking the "+" button beside the friends tab in your logs, then entering the screen name. All this just makes everything down the line easier for all of us

Leegoocrap & Newbz 2013 Mentor Group
Leegoocrap - ChrisNewbz - David       
Smithat05 - ToddIts Only Money - Martin
Mndymond - MelissaCrimsont - David
Mommy2Marathoner - SarahHunting Triathlete - Todd
Kiterchick - SarahJond81 - Jon
Cwlodyka - CharlieClempson - Kyle
Coolgenes - BradShar000001 - Sharon
Quintillion - KeiranAce83 - Kevin
Gilbert716 - GilShyguy45 - Jimmy

a cool trick I learned last year that some may not know, when you have your dashboard open and paste in the table if you highlight the 'Leegoocrap & Newbz 2013 Mentor Group' and hit the link button (looks like a chain in the menu bar up top) and make it link to this:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
when you enter your blog site and click on that it will automatically take you to the last page of the group
2013-01-07 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4566060

Columbus, OH

coolgenes - 2013-01-07 12:03 PM - It's inefficient to breath every other stroke (same side every time), so a lot of people say you should breathe every 3 strokes, what I ran across suggested that you should do a combination, ie., 2 strokes, breathe, 3 strokes, breathe, 2, 3, 2, 3,... I haven't tried this yet as I'm having a hard time getting back in the water lately but this is supposed to make it easier to sight and maintain a good amount of O2 so you don't go anaerobic during the swim.

Yea this is what I try to do.  I feel 'better' when I breathe every two strokes, but I feel a lot faster when I breathe every 3.  I would like to breathe every 3, but it gets difficult for me (due to me sucking at swimming).  As a runner I'm used to a much faster type of breathing pattern (typically 2-2 at race pace) and being able to breathe when I have to!

Edited by Cwlodyka 2013-01-07 11:35 AM
2013-01-07 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4566114

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
coolgenes - 2013-01-07 12:22 PM

Leegoocrap & Newbz 2013 Mentor Group
Leegoocrap - ChrisNewbz - David       
Smithat05 - ToddIts Only Money - Martin
Mndymond - MelissaCrimsont - David
Mommy2Marathoner - SarahHunting Triathlete - Todd
Kiterchick - SarahJond81 - Jon
Cwlodyka - CharlieClempson - Kyle
Coolgenes - BradShar000001 - Sharon
Quintillion - KeiranAce83 - Kevin
Gilbert716 - GilShyguy45 - Jimmy

a cool trick I learned last year that some may not know, when you have your dashboard open and paste in the table if you highlight the 'Leegoocrap & Newbz 2013 Mentor Group' and hit the link button (looks like a chain in the menu bar up top) and make it link to this: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... when you enter your blog site and click on that it will automatically take you to the last page of the group

That's pretty cool.  It's hard to find the thread with all the other mentor threads in that group, nice to have a direct link right to the latest page.

2013-01-07 2:06 PM

I need some major help because I'm totally new to this sport. Infact I'm starting from scratch fitness wise.Can anyone give me advice about how often to train? And what to focus on more (I don't even know what I'm weakest at yet!)? I've set a a goal to run a 6.5 mile hill race in June, I think it's not too unrealistic. help!!
2013-01-07 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4566504

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Have you checked out some of the beginner plans under "programs?" I've used a few of them myself in the past and they are pretty good (and, in a lot of cases...free)

Are you able to swim bike and run whenever it comes up, or do you have restrictions on stuff like pool time or other limiters?

It's best to start slow and work your way up, especially if you aren't used to abusing your legs day in and day out.

2013-01-07 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4566582

I had before and I had presumed that they weren't for beginners but now I see some of them are!The only problem I have is with cycling, I don't have a bike but I will go to the gym and use the stationary bikes.My idea is just to build up mileage/stamina. Is it a good idea to train twice a day if possible or is that too much for a beginner?
2013-01-07 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4566504

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Quintillion - 2013-01-07 3:06 PM I need some major help because I'm totally new to this sport. Infact I'm starting from scratch fitness wise.Can anyone give me advice about how often to train? And what to focus on more (I don't even know what I'm weakest at yet!)? I've set a a goal to run a 6.5 mile hill race in June, I think it's not too unrealistic. help!!

I have one whopping year under my belt, so all I can do is tell you what worked and didn't for me.  Definitely start slow.  Go for a run.  A nice easy one.  Yes you'll be racing later so sometimes the easy runs seem counter productive, but to start you need something to build off and pushing yourself super hard from day 1 is only going to get you hurt, lots of people can attest to that.  Then kind of do the same thing for the bike and swim.  Get on a bike and ride, see how far you went then do it again in a few days.  Same with the swim.  If you're a plan type of guy, then they have some free plans here and other places on the web that will work great, but even if you aren't a plan guy try and document your progress because it's a great motivator.  If you come from a bodybuilding background I imagine you have piles of workout logs so you can tell how much you increased each lift over how long.  I'd say to start just get out there and see where you're at.  6.5 miles by June is definitely a realistic goal and some good training will get you ripping the hills in no time.

2013-01-07 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi everyone! I've been a bit MIA the past few days since I don't tend to check in that often on the weekend and I was sick last week. My ear is still plugged up, but I got it checked out and it's nothing major, so I don't have anymore excuses to keep me from starting up with my training.

I signed up for my first sprint of the year, which is on May 12th. I'd like to at least attempt to be competitive for it, which means I need to get my lazy butt in gear. I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks just easing back into things, then start up a 16 week training plan. Hopefully that will be enough to whip me back into shape by mid May!

I added everyone as a friend too. Not that you should look at my logs now, since they're practically empty, but feel free to check in a week or two from now...

2013-01-07 6:05 PM

User image

Cleveland OH
2013-01-07 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4566916

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
smithat05 - 2013-01-07 7:05 PM

well I thought this was fitting for our conversation, 

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2013/01/training/the-stroke-series-part-two-pull-finish_68867

i've been watching some youtube videos from Gerry Rodrigues on "How to be a better triathlon swimmer" and he claims the catch/pull in a minuscule detail to swim technique, it's important, but not the most important thing to focus on.

anywho, got in a gym workout today and a sufferfest workout.  hoping to wake up early enough to have the motivation to hit the pool before work tomorrow. going to hopefully try a new 4000m workout.

2013-01-07 8:20 PM

Columbus, OH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvadRu5dgKc This is a beginner video that I like... U can watch part 1 and 2 first, and there's also some good drill videos that follow this but I didn't want to post 6 links. Sorry u prolly have to paste the link, no convenient tools when working from the mobile site.Wow, I had to edit that like 5 times to get something understandable to post. No more mobile site for me, I apologize... Hopefully that link will take u somewhere.

Edited by Cwlodyka 2013-01-07 8:27 PM
2013-01-07 8:35 PM
in reply to: #4567097

User image

Cleveland OH

Yeah I don't care for using the mobile site either, mainly because I only have down time when Im driving.  So it is for the best that I don't like the mobile site!

I was able to jump on the trainer for 45 mins at the start of the BCS game,  really unbelievable how different my bike feels verse the spin bikes,  I havnt been on the trainer in awhile.  It is so convienent but I had my wife test it out, to see if she could hear me riding from in the babies room,  Cry  she said you can hear it, boo hoo.   I was hoping I could jump on that in the morning or late at night after he is asleep.  I might have to figure out a way to sound proof the room or something. 

Question for I guess anyone,  so I got my first pair of Tri shorts for Christmas and I was wondering?  Do you wear underwear under them or not?  I was thinking no,  I have seen other people say no but just wanted your 02 cents.

Todd

2013-01-07 8:42 PM
in reply to: #4567114

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
smithat05 - 2013-01-07 9:35 PM

Yeah I don't care for using the mobile site either, mainly because I only have down time when Im driving.  So it is for the best that I don't like the mobile site!

I was able to jump on the trainer for 45 mins at the start of the BCS game,  really unbelievable how different my bike feels verse the spin bikes,  I havnt been on the trainer in awhile.  It is so convienent but I had my wife test it out, to see if she could hear me riding from in the babies room,  Cry  she said you can hear it, boo hoo.   I was hoping I could jump on that in the morning or late at night after he is asleep.  I might have to figure out a way to sound proof the room or something. 

Question for I guess anyone,  so I got my first pair of Tri shorts for Christmas and I was wondering?  Do you wear underwear under them or not?  I was thinking no,  I have seen other people say no but just wanted your 02 cents.

Todd

Definitely no. Just let it all hang out!

2013-01-07 8:48 PM
in reply to: #4567124

User image

Cleveland OH

Definitely no. Just let it all hang out!

Haha thanks KiterChick

2013-01-07 8:57 PM
in reply to: #4567114

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
smithat05 - 2013-01-07 9:35 PM

Todd

I have my trainer in the basement and I have the door to the room in the basement closed and the door at the top of the stairs closed.  My son is sleeping up on the 2nd floor but it's in a loft that is open to the rest of the house, but my wife said you can't hear it up there.  If there are any doors you can close or anything of the sort maybe it'd help just enough.

I remember the day I got my tri shorts in the mail.  I thought there was no way anything that I'd fit on my butt (I'm 6'6", 240ish) would fit into a letter envelope.  My wife still laughs at me when i do a ride in my tri shorts rather than my normal bike shorts.  And yes, nothing under the shorts.  It's weird at first but you'll get used to it.

Did a 60 minute TrainerRoad tonight, 3x12 intervals at 90%.  Think tomorrow is my off day as I'll be home all day with the sick kiddo.  Here's to hoping I come out on the other side ok.

2013-01-07 9:29 PM

User image

New user

knoxville, tn
I got in a good 50 min spin today and hopefully I'll be able to get my butt out of bed for 6 am swim training tomorrow.

Here's my question- do you get a better workout on a spin bike or the trainer? I feel like the spin bike but maybe it would be better to use my trainer more with my tri bike?
2013-01-08 2:05 AM
in reply to: #4566669

jonD81 - 2013-01-07 9:29 PM

Quintillion - 2013-01-07 3:06 PM I need some major help because I'm totally new to this sport. Infact I'm starting from scratch fitness wise.Can anyone give me advice about how often to train? And what to focus on more (I don't even know what I'm weakest at yet!)? I've set a a goal to run a 6.5 mile hill race in June, I think it's not too unrealistic. help!!

I have one whopping year under my belt, so all I can do is tell you what worked and didn't for me.  Definitely start slow.  Go for a run.  A nice easy one.  Yes you'll be racing later so sometimes the easy runs seem counter productive, but to start you need something to build off and pushing yourself super hard from day 1 is only going to get you hurt, lots of people can attest to that.  Then kind of do the same thing for the bike and swim.  Get on a bike and ride, see how far you went then do it again in a few days.  Same with the swim.  If you're a plan type of guy, then they have some free plans here and other places on the web that will work great, but even if you aren't a plan guy try and document your progress because it's a great motivator.  If you come from a bodybuilding background I imagine you have piles of workout logs so you can tell how much you increased each lift over how long.  I'd say to start just get out there and see where you're at.  6.5 miles by June is definitely a realistic goal and some good training will get you ripping the hills in no time.

Thanks JonD, I think I need to reign in my plans a bit and, like you say, start slow.
2013-01-08 7:24 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Got up today (at 3:30 in the morning) and drove 20 minutes to the pool. Once getting there, I realized I had forgot my bag at the house...

Some days are easier than others

2013-01-08 8:21 AM

User image

Champion
Win.

Next time at least leave some clothes and goggles in your car.

And to the tri short question, they are meant to be worn as is with nothing else.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39