BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2013-01-08 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4568158

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING
mmez - 2013-01-08 11:10 AM

WOW! I don't read this page for a few days and we have all kinds of new members! WELCOME to all - I hope you enjoy it here!

I plan on doing the Tour of Sufferfest that starts on 26 January and runs for 9 days. It promises to be a lot of Suffering!

I've been feeling a little (lot) stretched out on my bike since we moved and decided to have my LBS owner (and pro) take a look at my fit. He took one look at me and promptly told me to get off! He then lowered my seat by what felt like 2 inches!! He also suggested changing the drops for something narrower and maybe adjusting the spacers and the stem. We also decided that for all the climbing I plan on doing that a better gearing option would be 12-30 as opposed to the 12-25 that I had. So now, I have a 50-34 on front and a 12-30 on back, in essence, a 30-34, which is just like having a triple! Should be interesting once I'm able to get outside and ride.

Bought my first wool jersey! Can't say how it works for actual riding, but it's long sleeve and I'm loving just wearing it around the house and when I go out! We've had several positive comments (my husband bought one too) and I look forward to getting a few more long sleeve ones just to wear as sweaters, if nothing else. Of course, we had "Mittelbrunn Velo Club" embroidered on it, so it looks all official! Frank, our local bike pro, asked if Mittelbrunn had a Velo club because then we would be against his club. I told him that my husband and I were the only ones in the "club" and he knows that he doesn't have to worry about us! He laughed since he knows our village only has about 600 residents and is mostly a farming village. He did like our jersey's though (probably liked them more once he knew that we really weren't a velo club)!

Heading to France this weekend, so I'll be out of pocket for a day or so. My daughter wanted a trip to Paris for her birthday and we're able to accommodate!

Hope everyone is having a great week and I look forward to reading all the race reports as they come along!

Mariah, the switch to 50-34/12-30 should be huge for you.  Just watch your gearing when shifting between big and small rings.  That's a big gap and you could easily lose your chain.  Keep us updated- glad to hear about the fitting!

2013-01-08 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4567335

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING

I'm using this plan from Runners World: www.runnersworld.com/race-training/first-half-marathon-training-plan?page=single

I like it because it has 3 days of running and not 4 or 5, which would be impossible for me to squeeze in, and because each of the three weekly workouts are different. Instead of being told do runs of 5 miles, 3 miles and 6 miles this week, you do a tempo run, speedwork and a long run. It’s also pretty detailed, which I need. I did the tempo run last night and it went really well.

For the last month or so I have had knee pain after three miles or so when running uphill, so I may have to see a doctor about that. It kicked in just before mile 3 on the treadmill last night and I was only running on a 1% grade. With my light training load in December, it should have gotten better.

And I have been entering all my workouts in the training log using the BT app, but for some reason I can never see them on the actual website.  

mcgilmartin - 2013-01-07 12:45 AM
Jenheaslip - 2013-01-07 9:10 PM

Welcome everyone, looks like a good group!

I signed up for my first half marathon on April 20, so I started a 10-week training plan today. Weeks 1 and 2 don't look bad, but the rest will be tough LOL It just felt good to run again though, I took too much time off last month. Back to it!

Jen, which plan are you using?  Are you planning on logging your workouts in the training log?  Accountability will help you achieve any goal.  I'm so excited for you!

2013-01-08 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4567283

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Ha, I love it.

stevesflyshop - 2013-01-06 11:47 PM Today was the start of my 30 week Fink training program and I crushed the schedule! Monday's = rest day. I'm off to a great start.

2013-01-08 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4568597

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Jenheaslip - 2013-01-08 2:10 PM

I'm using this plan from Runners World: www.runnersworld.com/race-training/first-half-marathon-training-plan?page=single

I like it because it has 3 days of running and not 4 or 5, which would be impossible for me to squeeze in, and because each of the three weekly workouts are different. Instead of being told do runs of 5 miles, 3 miles and 6 miles this week, you do a tempo run, speedwork and a long run. It’s also pretty detailed, which I need. I did the tempo run last night and it went really well.

For the last month or so I have had knee pain after three miles or so when running uphill, so I may have to see a doctor about that. It kicked in just before mile 3 on the treadmill last night and I was only running on a 1% grade. With my light training load in December, it should have gotten better.

And I have been entering all my workouts in the training log using the BT app, but for some reason I can never see them on the actual website.  

I signed up for my first half marathon on April 20, so I started a 10-week training plan today. Weeks 1 and 2 don't look bad, but the rest will be tough LOL It just felt good to run again though, I took too much time off last month. Back to it!

Jen, which plan are you using?  Are you planning on logging your workouts in the training log?  Accountability will help you achieve any goal.  I'm so excited for you!

Jen, e-mail the site admins, or go to the Technical Support forum.  Are you using Android or Iphone?  I use the Android one and it's great.

2013-01-08 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4568609

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

I'm using an iPhone. I'll email them and see what they say.

mcgilmartin - 2013-01-07 4:16 PM
Jenheaslip - 2013-01-08 2:10 PM

Jen, e-mail the site admins, or go to the Technical Support forum.  Are you using Android or Iphone?  I use the Android one and it's great.

2013-01-08 5:00 PM
in reply to: #4568597

Jen I use the runner's world plans also.  I am actually working off of one I taylor made for myself in "smart coach".   This one has me running two days a week to build the base that way I can swim and bike on the other days.  I have used their plans including the one you are using for the last year.  They are great!

2013-01-08 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4568785

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Neat! This is my first time using one of theirs, I'll have to check out the smart coach part. So you had success with the half marathon plan? I'm just afraid it will have me running long distances faster than I am ready. 

TravelJunkie303 - 2013-01-07 6:00 PM Jen I use the runner's world plans also.  I am actually working off of one I taylor made for myself in "smart coach".   This one has me running two days a week to build the base that way I can swim and bike on the other days.  I have used their plans including the one you are using for the last year.  They are great!

2013-01-08 5:21 PM
in reply to: #4552506

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

I was all fired up to start my second day of the training plan today and headed to the pool. Unfortunately I was greeted with a "Pool Closed" sign. I went ahead and hit the weight room since I was there, and worked on my arms/back strength training. At the end of the workout, I got on one of the rowing machines. I didn't realize when I sat down on it that it was set on the highest setting. I spent 15 minutes on it and it kicked my butt! It was all I could do to climb out of the seat and make it to the shower.

(photo.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo.JPG (32KB - 6 downloads)
2013-01-08 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4568790

Jen,

Look at the smart coach under the training tab then.  I've had the same concerns after coming off IT band issues.  What I did was I kept plugging in times ("last race time" question I used 10min mile), and miles run per week until I found a plan that I knew wasn't too much (currently the run two days a week plan).  I also went a little further with another plan that way if my training was coming along better than I expected I could ramp it up slightly with the second plan.  The "smart coach" allows you unlimited free plans as long as you don't try to modify them.  I just print them out and use a pen to write in my mileage.  Now I am inputting my miles here.  I expect my biking and swimming will compliment my running plan without forcing me to build up to fast.   

2013-01-08 5:44 PM
in reply to: #4568810

Steve I feel your pain.  My local pool schedule is a huge issue so far in my beginning tri career.  The hours are set up at 0'dark thirty when I usually am at work or right before bed when I am usually in my PJs.  The rest of the time is for swim team and lessons. 
2013-01-08 5:48 PM
in reply to: #4568840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

TravelJunkie303 - 2013-01-08 4:44 PM Steve I feel your pain.  My local pool schedule is a huge issue so far in my beginning tri career.  The hours are set up at 0'dark thirty when I usually am at work or right before bed when I am usually in my PJs.  The rest of the time is for swim team and lessons. 

The pool hours at this pool are pretty decent. The problem today was their pump stopped working. I guess it was closed yesterday afternoon too but I didn't think about calling ahead to see if the pool was working. I had to be there anyway but would have been ticked off if I had driven 75 miles only to go for a swim. On the bright side, I still got some strength work in and realized it had been a long, LONG time since I had lifted weights.

2013-01-08 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4568847

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
stevesflyshop - 2013-01-08 4:48 PM

TravelJunkie303 - 2013-01-08 4:44 PM Steve I feel your pain.  My local pool schedule is a huge issue so far in my beginning tri career.  The hours are set up at 0'dark thirty when I usually am at work or right before bed when I am usually in my PJs.  The rest of the time is for swim team and lessons. 

The pool hours at this pool are pretty decent. The problem today was their pump stopped working. I guess it was closed yesterday afternoon too but I didn't think about calling ahead to see if the pool was working. I had to be there anyway but would have been ticked off if I had driven 75 miles only to go for a swim. On the bright side, I still got some strength work in and realized it had been a long, LONG time since I had lifted weights.

Way to make the best of it, Steve.  Those of you who have been in this group know that I am a huge fan of weightlifting.  I think it's as critically important to triathlon as S/B/R are.  Swimming in particular benefits tremendously from the strength training routine.

2013-01-08 11:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

Had a nice run this evening. Unfortunately my old heart rate monitor strap doesn't work with the 910xt. I did get my cadence/speed sensor delivered today. Art's Cyclery had a new year promotion of 25% off. I've been pretty impressed with their prices and sale/promotions. This is also where I got the Garmin 910xt for 25% off at their Black Friday sale. Anyway, thought I'd pass the info along in case anyone else was looking to order cycling products. I also got a case of Cliff Shots too at 25% off.

I hope everyone is having a great week.

Steve

2013-01-09 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4568827

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Pretty neat site. I really like how you can change the plan at any time if you missed workouts or need a slower/faster pace. I entered my info and the plan is really similar to the one I already found from their site, except the Smart Coach one builds in easy runs every week and rotates temp runs/speedwork every other week. I'll have to think about which plan to use now. Thanks again for the suggestion!

TravelJunkie303 - 2013-01-07 6:37 PM

Jen,

Look at the smart coach under the training tab then.  I've had the same concerns after coming off IT band issues.  What I did was I kept plugging in times ("last race time" question I used 10min mile), and miles run per week until I found a plan that I knew wasn't too much (currently the run two days a week plan).  I also went a little further with another plan that way if my training was coming along better than I expected I could ramp it up slightly with the second plan.  The "smart coach" allows you unlimited free plans as long as you don't try to modify them.  I just print them out and use a pen to write in my mileage.  Now I am inputting my miles here.  I expect my biking and swimming will compliment my running plan without forcing me to build up to fast.   

2013-01-09 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4569272

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Steve,

Is this the place you're talking about?

http://www.artscyclery.com/

2013-01-09 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4570042

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
mcgilmartin - 2013-01-09 10:46 AM

Steve,

Is this the place you're talking about?

http://www.artscyclery.com/

That is the site. I never heard of them before I started searching for a Black Friday deal on a Garmin 910. It seems that they have sales or promotions pretty regularly. I got the 910xt with the heart rate strap for 337. I couldn't find that anywhere else. I tried figuring out the cadence sensor installation last night but I gave up at midnight. Going to try again tonight.

2013-01-09 2:54 PM

User image

Steve - let me know if you need help with the GSC10 installation! The first time I put one on a bike it was pretty confusing, but I've installed several now and don't even look at directions anymore! Have questions - just ask!
2013-01-09 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Anyone up for a New Years challenge? 

13,000 yard swim workout.  For real.

http://teamtimex.timexblogs.com/2013/01/08/swimming-in-the-new-year-13-x-1000s/

2013-01-09 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4570569

I feel that is a little beyond my skill level at this point.  Maybe next year.

I did however just get a new garmin 310xt in the mail which I am pretty happy about.  I've been waiting 3 years for this thing to go down in price enough for me to want to pay for it.  Now I have to get the foot pod and bike adapter.  Oh yeah I still need a bike to strap it to.  Still not sure what which or when that one is going to happen.

2013-01-09 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4570631

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
TravelJunkie303 - 2013-01-09 2:36 PM

I feel that is a little beyond my skill level at this point.  Maybe next year.

I did however just get a new garmin 310xt in the mail which I am pretty happy about.  I've been waiting 3 years for this thing to go down in price enough for me to want to pay for it.  Now I have to get the foot pod and bike adapter.  Oh yeah I still need a bike to strap it to.  Still not sure what which or when that one is going to happen.

That's a great GPS/HRM.  How much did you pay for it?

Ask away on bikes.. I love discussing cycling gear!  Heck, so does everyone else on here

2013-01-09 4:35 PM
in reply to: #4570569

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
mcgilmartin - 2013-01-09 2:10 PM

Anyone up for a New Years challenge? 

13,000 yard swim workout.  For real.

http://teamtimex.timexblogs.com/2013/01/08/swimming-in-the-new-year-13-x-1000s/

Do I get a month to complete that Challenge? Right now I'm pretty sure I could not do it even with a current pushing me along. Just the distance is amazing, let alone all the drills!

2013-01-09 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4570532

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

mmez - 2013-01-09 1:54 PM Steve - let me know if you need help with the GSC10 installation! The first time I put one on a bike it was pretty confusing, but I've installed several now and don't even look at directions anymore! Have questions - just ask!

My main concern was if I was putting the sensor/spoke magnet in the proper place. I kept thinking to myself that there has to be some way to calibrate the sensor to the distance traveled to get the correct speed. I just kept thinking that a full rotation near the center (axle) is going to register a lot different speed than a full rotation near the rim. There was no guidance on where to place it and I didn't want to cinch down the zip ties only to have to cut them and start over. Any suggestions? Does it matter where I place the sensor and magnet on the wheel? I probably over-analyzed it but in my defense, it was late and I really should have been in bed instead of playing with my bike.

Thanks,

Steve

2013-01-09 5:11 PM

New user

1 revolution is 1 revolution I know when I setup my cateye part of the configuration was to identify the wheelsize being used.  I don't remember having todotthat when I added the csc-10, but when i used trainnerroad for the 2x20 test last night for the first time speed and cadence there matched what the wired cateye was reporting

2013-01-09 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4570719

Extreme Veteran
stevesflyshop - 2013-01-09 5:40 PM

mmez - 2013-01-09 1:54 PM Steve - let me know if you need help with the GSC10 installation! The first time I put one on a bike it was pretty confusing, but I've installed several now and don't even look at directions anymore! Have questions - just ask!

My main concern was if I was putting the sensor/spoke magnet in the proper place. I kept thinking to myself that there has to be some way to calibrate the sensor to the distance traveled to get the correct speed. I just kept thinking that a full rotation near the center (axle) is going to register a lot different speed than a full rotation near the rim. There was no guidance on where to place it and I didn't want to cinch down the zip ties only to have to cut them and start over. Any suggestions? Does it matter where I place the sensor and magnet on the wheel? I probably over-analyzed it but in my defense, it was late and I really should have been in bed instead of playing with my bike.

Thanks,

Steve

I does not measure distance, it counts revolutions - then it uses the size of the wheel that you entered to compute distance.  So one revolution near the axel and one revolution near the rim is still one revolution - and that one revolution moves the bike forward X.xx meters (the circumference of the wheel the sensor is on.)

2013-01-09 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

Thanks! I am not mathematically inclined and technology really isn't my thing. I'll just put it on there and go with it.

Steve

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 23