Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-05-28 3:47 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open

So I had my bike fit last Thursday, and then Friday went for a 37-ish mile bike ride...but it was kind of a lazy ride with a couple intermittent stops, so I'm not sure that I really count it as a long ride.  Then yesterday I went for a 46 mile ride.  Took a route that I won't be taking again, had a lot of area with no bike lane and some rough patches of road.  But more importantly I was able to stay aero 99% of the ride, so I'm really happy with my fit so far.  I did notice my neck got really stiff towards the end.  I didn't really notice until I went to turn my head to look behind me at around the 2 hour mark and didn't really have the flexibility I would have liked.  Where does everyone look while they are riding?  Straight ahead?  The ground 20 feet in front of you?  50 feet?  10 feet?

My sitbones were pretty sore the first ten miles, then I must have just gotten used to it or hit the sweet spot because I was good for a long time then by around mile 35 I was moving around to change it up then by the end I was very grateful to be getting off the seat.  But really that 37 mile ride was my longest by almost 7 miles that point, and then this 46 miler was 9 miles longer than that.  So I assume the comfort will increase over time with increasing time in the saddle.

I've got about 11 weeks to go.

2013-05-28 7:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers

First Time in Aero position today. i went for a 30 mi short ride.

Wow it was an expeience.

The benefits I noticed are:
1.) Significantly less effort slicing through the wind.
2.) I felt more power from my hips.
3.) Less stress on my arms.
4.) More control versus headwinds and crosswinds.

Some disadvantages:
1.) my elbows are sweating on the pads making it slippery, have to grip
well on the sticks.
2.) my PD Aerodrink is spraying icky gatorade at my face.

What i need to do more.
1.) Practice!! practice!!! and more Practice!!!
2.) Iplan for now to have a brake lever on my right stick. My LBS is helping me out
getting the lightest parts as possible.

THANKS for ALL The information!!! and encouragement.

CHEER!!!!

Edited by strykergt 2013-05-28 7:19 PM
2013-05-28 9:19 PM
in reply to: cadnams

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by cadnams

Hi all,

I went for my weekly long training run tonight, and I got some first hand experience of the value of a good taper. My last long run was 16km and I felt really strong. I came off a low training week (by accident in fact, not a planned taper) and I had a great session. Good pace and I could have kept running.

But tonight... well, I struggled hard for virtually the whole run. I completed my planned distance (18.6km) but by the end I was smashed...! I'd had a couple of days off after my weekend long ride but this was clearly not enough. When I stopped running, my legs felt like they were no longer attached to my body. They were basically numb.

I will put this one in the memory bank and remember just how important it is to taper properly (and not try to squeeze in a couple of last minute training sessions).

They say you learn something every day, and today was no different...

Yes, proper rest and taper is just as important as working out. You won't gain any fitness in the last week or two before your race, but you can easily over due it and basically make sure you aren't in top form.
2013-05-28 9:20 PM
in reply to: Super Clydesdale

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Super Clydesdale

Update on events: I did a pool sprint tri this past Sunday. It was the same event that i did last year. Good news is i am getting stonger/faster. In the same event i went from 1hr 32 min to 1 hr 26 min. Improved by 30 sec in 300 meter pool swim. Lowered bike time be 4:30 min. Road bike over hybrid helped. And lowered 5k run by 2 min. Still need to work run speed. Just under 10 min mile avg. It is the event ruining overall place.

Lost time in transition 1 due to cold weather gear.

This was a good start to my season.

Congrats on the improvement and solid start to the year!
2013-05-28 9:25 PM
in reply to: kent2233

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by kent2233

I would like to join if it is not too late and you will have me. I haven't used the training logs in the past but I will start.

NAME: Kent (Kent2233)

STORY:
I'm 25, used to run a fair bit in high school, I was slow but I enjoyed it. I also lifeguarded growing up, so never did competitive swimming but spent my teenage summers in pools (and regularly in the winter) in pools. I did the freshman 15, sophomore 15 and junior 10 and then slowly gained another 10 over a couple of years (thankfully not all of it was fat, but too much of it was). I had always had a fascination with Ironman and I decided to stop thinking about it and commit to doing one when I was young and didn't have kids and I wanted a goal to help me get back into shape because I had fallen off the bandwagon too many times. I've done two half marathons but no tri's yet. Lake Placid is scheduled to be my first.

FAMILY STATUS:
Live with girlfriend (will likely change this summer )

CURRENT TRAINING: Fink's Just Finish Plan from IronFit

2013 RACES:
Lake Placid, If I'm not dead after I hope to do some shorter races in the fall

WEIGHTLOSS:
Down 10 pounds since I started training, hopefully I will keep heading in the right direction.

GOALS:
Finish Lake Placid

Welcome! I wouldn't worry too much about weightloss while training for an IM. Make sure you fuel properly and don't try to go for a calorie deficit. Your body needs the calories to refuel and repair. Focus on your training, nutrition and rest and if you want to diet, do it in the offseason.

Looking forward to following along on your big goal and answering as many questions as we can.
2013-05-28 9:30 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

So I had my bike fit last Thursday, and then Friday went for a 37-ish mile bike ride...but it was kind of a lazy ride with a couple intermittent stops, so I'm not sure that I really count it as a long ride.  Then yesterday I went for a 46 mile ride.  Took a route that I won't be taking again, had a lot of area with no bike lane and some rough patches of road.  But more importantly I was able to stay aero 99% of the ride, so I'm really happy with my fit so far.  I did notice my neck got really stiff towards the end.  I didn't really notice until I went to turn my head to look behind me at around the 2 hour mark and didn't really have the flexibility I would have liked.  Where does everyone look while they are riding?  Straight ahead?  The ground 20 feet in front of you?  50 feet?  10 feet?

My sitbones were pretty sore the first ten miles, then I must have just gotten used to it or hit the sweet spot because I was good for a long time then by around mile 35 I was moving around to change it up then by the end I was very grateful to be getting off the seat.  But really that 37 mile ride was my longest by almost 7 miles that point, and then this 46 miler was 9 miles longer than that.  So I assume the comfort will increase over time with increasing time in the saddle.

Nice long ride and that's awesome you could stay in aero so long. Sit bones do get acclimated with time in the saddle. I alternate between looking down and looking 50-500 feet ahead. it will take a while for your neck muscles to get stronger. I've never looked to see if there is an exercise that can help with that.

2013-05-28 9:33 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by strykergt

Wow it was an expeience.

Some disadvantages:
well on the sticks.

What i need to do more.
2.) Iplan for now to have a brake lever on my right stick. My LBS is helping me out

CHEER!!!!

I find aero a lot easier on my shoulders and back as well. As for the aero drink spillage, I experimented with putting plastic wrap over the top of my aero bottle opening but it didn't seem to help much. I gave up and went back to my frame mounted bottles. Let us know if you figure out a way to avoid the splashing.
2013-05-28 9:39 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Originally posted by ransick

Nice long ride and that's awesome you could stay in aero so long. Sit bones do get acclimated with time in the saddle. I alternate between looking down and looking 50-500 feet ahead. it will take a while for your neck muscles to get stronger. I've never looked to see if there is an exercise that can help with that.

Some people will lay their stomachs on a bed and then lift their head to watch TV! I can see that being an effective exercise. I also alternate looking down and looking ahead. You will improve your ability to ride without the stiff neck in time. Just keep riding lots. most issues will go away.

Oh and unrelated: NEVER re-use unwashed bike shorts. this can be a big issue. Saddle sores are serious issues and can totally De-rail you.
2013-05-28 9:49 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Originally posted by ransick

Originally posted by strykergt

Wow it was an expeience.

Some disadvantages:
well on the sticks.

What i need to do more.

CHEER!!!!

I find aero a lot easier on my shoulders and back as well. As for the aero drink spillage, I experimented with putting plastic wrap over the top of my aero bottle opening but it didn't seem to help much. I gave up and went back to my frame mounted bottles. Let us know if you figure out a way to avoid the splashing.

X2 I don't use aero bottle. In fact I only have ONE bottle position on my tri bike period! For me I like the responsiveness of a light bike with as little added weight to it as possible. Like a fighter jet feel versus 777 the more crap you put on a bike the less fun it is to ride. fluids are important but fluids also weigh a lot. And they hand you more when you are racing. Honestly perhaps I just don't like drinking all that much from a straw. coming out of aero to take a drink is not a biggie to me., it's important to shift positions. sure I see the need to ride aero a lot, but tight muscles from staying aero is no good either. But of course many MANY people love their aero bottles. it's just another one of those preference things.
2013-05-28 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Your 46 mile ride is a nice training distance. Did you have a lot of hills on the route? Staying aero is pretty phenomenal.
I also find I get stiff in my neck and my left hand goes tingly for most of my rides. For me it is residual from old injuries. I would think that you being younger you should find at least to some degree you'll get used to it and it will become less bothersome with more T.I.T.S.

I find I tend to look mostly about 10 - 20' ahead of me but I also still look further out and try to anticipate problems. Last week riding down Richter Pass (11km downhill at 50-ishKph/30mph) I didn't see a large pothole coming up and I just missed it by inches. If I had hit it I'd have been badly broken up so I was pretty lucky. I guess really you have to be aware of everything around you so while looking ahead you are also using your periferal vision as well. You should find your sitbones should get used to the abuse you put them through. It just takes time.

Do you ride in bike shorts or Tri-shorts? I thought I needed bike shorts with thicker padding but before my 1st sprint last year I started wearing tri-shorts and even with less padding I still find them comfortable up to 100km/62miles (once I get enough time in the saddle) and I can go from the bike to the run wearing them and not feel like I'm wearing a full diaper.

Yikes!! 11 weeks to go for you. I'm down to two weeks to my Oly and then 5 more to my HIM. I'm sure I should be OK in the water but I'm slow on the bike and slower on the run so I figure I'm looking at 7 hours maybe 7:15-ish.

Does your bike route in your HIM have a lot of hills?
2013-05-28 10:26 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by wenceslasz Your 46 mile ride is a nice training distance. Did you have a lot of hills on the route? Staying aero is pretty phenomenal. I also find I get stiff in my neck and my left hand goes tingly for most of my rides. For me it is residual from old injuries. I would think that you being younger you should find at least to some degree you'll get used to it and it will become less bothersome with more T.I.T.S.
Thanks!  No hills, essentially flat.  Not quite Florida flat, but close. 

Originally posted by wenceslasz I find I tend to look mostly about 10 - 20' ahead of me but I also still look further out and try to anticipate problems. Last week riding down Richter Pass (11km downhill at 50-ishKph/30mph) I didn't see a large pothole coming up and I just missed it by inches. If I had hit it I'd have been badly broken up so I was pretty lucky. I guess really you have to be aware of everything around you so while looking ahead you are also using your periferal vision as well.
That sounds pretty close to what I was doing.  This ride was more straight and flat than what I'm used to doing (I was up in Sacramento for training and just kind of started riding), so I found myself trying to focus 10 to 20 yards ahead and every once in a short while glancing up to make sure everything was clear ahead.  Almost like sighting during the swim.  I haven't really thought about it much about trying to look down instead of straight ahead before because my rides were not long enough to where it mattered.

Originally posted by wenceslasz You should find your sitbones should get used to the abuse you put them through. It just takes time. Do you ride in bike shorts or Tri-shorts? I thought I needed bike shorts with thicker padding but before my 1st sprint last year I started wearing tri-shorts and even with less padding I still find them comfortable up to 100km/62miles (once I get enough time in the saddle) and I can go from the bike to the run wearing them and not feel like I'm wearing a full diaper.
I wear tri-shorts, I've never even tried bike shorts.  I've heard others say the same thing so I figured I'd just stick with the tri-shorts. 

Originally posted by wenceslasz Yikes!! 11 weeks to go for you. I'm down to two weeks to my Oly and then 5 more to my HIM. I'm sure I should be OK in the water but I'm slow on the bike and slower on the run so I figure I'm looking at 7 hours maybe 7:15-ish. Does your bike route in your HIM have a lot of hills?
7:15 is great, man, in the end you'll have moved 70.3 more miles than those that stayed on their couch that day whether it takes 4.5 or 8.5 hours.  What kind of person wakes up in the morning and says "I think I'll go for a 56 mile bike ride today, and I think to warmup I'll swim 2000m.  And I've got nothing to do after that so why not run a half marathon?"  A crazy person, that's who.  I'd have said triathlete but I think the terms are synonymous.  

My primary goal is to finish.  Secondary is to finish without walking (not including stutter step at the aid stations).  Third is to finish under 6.  Fourth is to finish under 5:30 (yeah right).  I really don't know what to expect though.  My HIM does have some hills.  A lot is a relative term...there's about 1300 ft of elevation gain, most of it comes during the first half of the loop.  Mostly rolling hills with one short cat 5.  Shouldn't be much wind, but it will be pretty hot.  Here is a map with elevation that I made of the course: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/197545650

2013-05-28 10:36 PM

New user

Originally posted by kent2233 I would like to join if it is not too late and you will have me. I haven't used the training logs in the past but I will start. NAME: Kent (Kent2233) STORY: I'm 25, used to run a fair bit in high school, I was slow but I enjoyed it. I also lifeguarded growing up, so never did competitive swimming but spent my teenage summers in pools (and regularly in the winter) in pools. I did the freshman 15, sophomore 15 and junior 10 and then slowly gained another 10 over a couple of years (thankfully not all of it was fat, but too much of it was). I had always had a fascination with Ironman and I decided to stop thinking about it and commit to doing one when I was young and didn't have kids and I wanted a goal to help me get back into shape because I had fallen off the bandwagon too many times. I've done two half marathons but no tri's yet. Lake Placid is scheduled to be my first. FAMILY STATUS: Live with girlfriend (will likely change this summer ) CURRENT TRAINING: Fink's Just Finish Plan from IronFit 2013 RACES: Lake Placid, If I'm not dead after I hope to do some shorter races in the fall WEIGHTLOSS: Down 10 pounds since I started training, hopefully I will keep heading in the right direction. GOALS: Finish Lake Placid
Lake Placid as in IMLP?  As in in just under two months?  Good for you man, that's a goal and a half.  What a beatiful race, if I ever do an IM I think that one would be at or near the top of the list.  How is your training going, are you on pace with the plan?

Yes, IMLP... I'm in WAY over my head, but I'm still excited.

I am excited about the venue, scared of the hills though, I'm a clyde and basically all of my cycling has been on the trainer.

Sort of on pace with the plan, I haven't done the practice races that it suggests (mainly because of weather restrictions) so I've been modifying the plan. I'm also concerned because it is all based on time and I am slow. But I've made a ton of progress and hopefully will make significantly more over the next 9 weeks.

Thanks for the welcome and I started using the training log today!
2013-05-29 5:26 PM
in reply to: kent2233

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by kent2233 Yes, IMLP... I'm in WAY over my head, but I'm still excited. I am excited about the venue, scared of the hills though, I'm a clyde and basically all of my cycling has been on the trainer. Sort of on pace with the plan, I haven't done the practice races that it suggests (mainly because of weather restrictions) so I've been modifying the plan. I'm also concerned because it is all based on time and I am slow. But I've made a ton of progress and hopefully will make significantly more over the next 9 weeks. Thanks for the welcome and I started using the training log today!
That's great man, good for you!  I'm looking forward to watching your progress and hearing about your race.  I wouldn't be concerned about the plan being time-based.  It seems like most IM plans are.  As long as you are keeping up with the plan, and avoiding injury, those are the important things.
2013-05-29 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by wenceslasz Your 46 mile ride is a nice training distance. Did you have a lot of hills on the route? Staying aero is pretty phenomenal. I also find I get stiff in my neck and my left hand goes tingly for most of my rides. For me it is residual from old injuries. I would think that you being younger you should find at least to some degree you'll get used to it and it will become less bothersome with more T.I.T.S.
Thanks!  No hills, essentially flat.  Not quite Florida flat, but close. 

Originally posted by wenceslasz I find I tend to look mostly about 10 - 20' ahead of me but I also still look further out and try to anticipate problems. Last week riding down Richter Pass (11km downhill at 50-ishKph/30mph) I didn't see a large pothole coming up and I just missed it by inches. If I had hit it I'd have been badly broken up so I was pretty lucky. I guess really you have to be aware of everything around you so while looking ahead you are also using your periferal vision as well.
That sounds pretty close to what I was doing.  This ride was more straight and flat than what I'm used to doing (I was up in Sacramento for training and just kind of started riding), so I found myself trying to focus 10 to 20 yards ahead and every once in a short while glancing up to make sure everything was clear ahead.  Almost like sighting during the swim.  I haven't really thought about it much about trying to look down instead of straight ahead before because my rides were not long enough to where it mattered.

Originally posted by wenceslasz You should find your sitbones should get used to the abuse you put them through. It just takes time. Do you ride in bike shorts or Tri-shorts? I thought I needed bike shorts with thicker padding but before my 1st sprint last year I started wearing tri-shorts and even with less padding I still find them comfortable up to 100km/62miles (once I get enough time in the saddle) and I can go from the bike to the run wearing them and not feel like I'm wearing a full diaper.
I wear tri-shorts, I've never even tried bike shorts.  I've heard others say the same thing so I figured I'd just stick with the tri-shorts. 

Originally posted by wenceslasz Yikes!! 11 weeks to go for you. I'm down to two weeks to my Oly and then 5 more to my HIM. I'm sure I should be OK in the water but I'm slow on the bike and slower on the run so I figure I'm looking at 7 hours maybe 7:15-ish. Does your bike route in your HIM have a lot of hills?
7:15 is great, man, in the end you'll have moved 70.3 more miles than those that stayed on their couch that day whether it takes 4.5 or 8.5 hours.  What kind of person wakes up in the morning and says "I think I'll go for a 56 mile bike ride today, and I think to warmup I'll swim 2000m.  And I've got nothing to do after that so why not run a half marathon?"  A crazy person, that's who.  I'd have said triathlete but I think the terms are synonymous.  

My primary goal is to finish.  Secondary is to finish without walking (not including stutter step at the aid stations).  Third is to finish under 6.  Fourth is to finish under 5:30 (yeah right).  I really don't know what to expect though.  My HIM does have some hills.  A lot is a relative term...there's about 1300 ft of elevation gain, most of it comes during the first half of the loop.  Mostly rolling hills with one short cat 5.  Shouldn't be much wind, but it will be pretty hot.  Here is a map with elevation that I made of the course: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/197545650

I had a look at your Mapmyride route and it looks like quite a nice ride. Enough climbing to be a challenge but not too much and at 40km you get a nice fast run to the finish. The map doesn't show road conditions which could be a negative factor. We have some really rough roads in our area that are not fun to ride.

I started with bike shorts and wasn't happy with them but it only took a couple rides with the tri-shorts to like them. But, in April I rode a "Prefondo" (just a short group ride followed by beer and pizza) and they also drew for some prizes and I won a pair of bike shorts. I wore them out riding once and I have to confess they are really comfortable so now I'm thinking I might wear them for my 180Km ride August 25th.

I too have a super secret hoped for time of 6:30 for my HIM. It would be highly unlikely I could achieve it but that would be a major thrill to do it that fast. Especially in my age group. Then again it might become my inspiration to do HIM until I beat 6:30. Gives me something to work for.
2013-05-30 6:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
So glad to see our group so active. Sorry I've been MIA. The kids are out of school for the summer, and they take up pretty much every spare second I have!! I'll be out of town for the next couple weeks, but I'll get to the stats by the middle/end of June. I'm still trying to fit in workouts and logging, but not as much as I'd like!!
2013-05-30 10:00 PM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Sarah73 So glad to see our group so active. Sorry I've been MIA. The kids are out of school for the summer, and they take up pretty much every spare second I have!! I'll be out of town for the next couple weeks, but I'll get to the stats by the middle/end of June. I'm still trying to fit in workouts and logging, but not as much as I'd like!!
Sarah I am willing to do the stats as long as I have access to everyone's training log.

2013-05-30 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I went out today with three friends for a 2nd OWS of this year. The lake was a quite comfortable 18C/64F and calm flat. We didn't swim far or long but I did swim 1100+metres in 23:09 so quite a bit faster than I can swim in the pool. I wasn't trying to swim fast so I think I could've even gone faster.

The other thing that I was pleased with was that I was able to swim in a decently straight line with minimal siting. I think I only raised my head 3 or 4 times and only had to do minimal adjustments to my direction.

Going back tomorrow for another swim then after a short break I'm going out for my first 2hr run - very slow and easy - but hoping to hit 16km.
2013-05-30 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
It looks like I don't have access to Dave's logs.  And strykergt either I don't have access or isn't logging workouts.
2013-05-31 2:53 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys

How can i log my workouts???

let me know please!1

Thanks
2013-05-31 5:57 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Originally posted by Sarah73 So glad to see our group so active. Sorry I've been MIA. The kids are out of school for the summer, and they take up pretty much every spare second I have!! I'll be out of town for the next couple weeks, but I'll get to the stats by the middle/end of June. I'm still trying to fit in workouts and logging, but not as much as I'd like!!
Sarah I am willing to do the stats as long as I have access to everyone's training log.

Added you to friends list. You should be able to check my logs now Joe!
2013-05-31 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by strykergt Guys How can i log my workouts??? let me know please!1 Thanks
Are you on a phone or on a computer?  On a computer it is very easy, just go to Training log at the top of the page, and for the day you want to add a workout for hold your mouse on "add activity" then click the activity you want to add and a window pops up where you enter the numbers.  It sounds confusing but it is pretty intuitive.  On a phone it is more complicated, unless you can navigate in your phone the same you can on a computer (which my phone will not let me).

2013-05-31 11:28 AM
in reply to: oriolepwr

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by oriolepwr Added you to friends list. You should be able to check my logs now Joe!
Excellent, I will do the end of month stats early next week to give people a couple days to log their workouts.  If I have time today I will put something together so people can see where they stand and can fit in one last workout for the books
2013-05-31 5:16 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Yo Joe!!!!

Done!!! all uploaded now!!!!!.. thanks for the advice....

One last thing i dont mind everybody looking at it , how can i make sure it can be viewed
by everybody else????

Thanks

Carl
2013-05-31 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by strykergt Yo Joe!!!! Done!!! all uploaded now!!!!!.. thanks for the advice.... One last thing i dont mind everybody looking at it , how can i make sure it can be viewed by everybody else???? Thanks Carl
I can see your logs, and I'm not special (at least not as far as BT is concerned ) so I'm sure everyone can.
2013-05-31 5:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Ok the only person whose logs I can't see is Tom.  I'll shoot him a PM and see if he can change that.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41