BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-01-21 8:05 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - OPEN

Brenda,  I haven't signed up for Muncie just yet but that is likely to be the HIM I'll do before IMWI.  I need to push the button pretty soon so I can at least save a few dollars over the full price.  Some of the Human Motor Works teammates are doing Steelhead so that is somewhat a consideration but I think it's just a little to late.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my cycling recovery week!  Despite being a recovery week I've already gotten 4 hours of riding in but it'a ll been pretty easy stuff.  I am planning to do another 10 mile TT for the team on Friday if things work out.  The last time I was able to turn 272 watts on the compu-trainer on some really tired legs.  I'll be anxious to see if I can perform a little better this time.

2014-01-22 12:15 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Yep, our baby girl is sick with the flu. Second time this year... last time is was Flu B, this time it's Flu A... not sure what any of that means, but supposedly it could include H1N1 this time... we started her on tamiflu today so hopefully we can knock it out quick.
2014-01-22 10:37 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by pistuo

Yep, our baby girl is sick with the flu. Second time this year... last time is was Flu B, this time it's Flu A... not sure what any of that means, but supposedly it could include H1N1 this time... we started her on tamiflu today so hopefully we can knock it out quick.

Will sorry to hear about Claire being sick. Again I hope she is feeling better and gets well soon.
2014-01-22 11:40 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Will sorry to hear Claire is sick as a parent you always feel so helpless when they don't feel good.

Brenda I have heard of WBA I also keep checking the website for a date....and I will go depending on the weekend.

Tony did you get hit with snow???

I changed my Wednesday hours to take clients from 2-8 to 12:30-6:30 thinking it was going to help me training wise...so far it is not I am so used to going in later on Wednesday I feel like I am frazzled trying to get things done before I go in. I am going to give it a few more weeks and then see about changing them back I am hoping it is something I just need to get used to we will see.

Looks like we have a couple days of bitter cold again......I am thinking positive on this though cuz the last time we had a winter like this Lake Michigan's water temp was 72 and I am hoping for my HIM that this will be the case!!!

2014-01-22 3:32 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
JoAnne yes we got plenty of snow here. I think somewhere in the range of 8 to 10 inches. Good thing I shoveled yesterday evening it made things easier today. The other good thing is that the snow is like powder, very light so not all that bad to shovel but it's bitterly cold was -14 with the wind chill this morning. Looks like it is going to be cold for the next week or so. I think I'll be relegated to training indoors, no trail running or MTN biking, bummer.
2014-01-22 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

Tony we have been getting hit with the snow all day.  Hoping it stops soon as Im getting sick of shoveling, lol.  Hopefully some of it melts by the weekend so I can get out for a nice long run.  Last one till after the Tour of Sufferlandria.

Brenda, the Games are apparently quite a good time.  Id most likely only compete in Triathlon however I have given thought to competing in the cycling TT event as well.  It looks like it should be fun and visiting Washington has been on mine and my wife's travel list for some time.  So it should be a great family vacation.

2014-01-22 7:22 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Derek I hear you I did it twice today and once last night. I keep thinking I should get a snow blower and then I think I could really put that money towards a nice set of wheels. You can see where my priorities are at lol. I hope you there is end to the snow for you and that you get better weather for the weekend. Good luck with the Tour of Sufferlandria, if I weren't following the specific outseason program I am sure I'd be training to Sufferfest and taking the tour as well.
2014-01-22 10:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
I went looking for Jorge's trainer workout plan and cant find it... did they take it out of their lists? Anyone know?
2014-01-23 4:30 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Winter Cycling - This should get you there but I am unable to open the plan because I am not a paying member right now.  You have to be a bronze member at least to use the plan.  

BTW, I see you guys are having a bit of chilly weather down there.  Our corporate meteorologist sent an alert to our Texas group warning of some cold temps and ice accumulations.  It sounds like a good idea to ride that bike indoors.

2014-01-23 4:45 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Joanne,  I could adapt to that schedule for work pretty easily.  I could have a couple of workouts in before I had to be at work.  I imagine you can get used to it pretty quickly unless you're used to staying up late and sleeping late.  I cannot sleep past 7 AM on most days so I'm in!! for a late workday as long as I get off by 6 PM and I keep my 4 day work week.

Derek,  I've seen the PD FD games on ESPN in the past but it has been some time ago.  I am most familiar with the FF Challenge which, when I was a FF, looked pretty fun but I never competed in any of the events.  I suppose it would be fun to compete in that event still but any of my skills would be rather tarnished at this point.  

About DC, DON'T PLAN TO DRIVE!  It is a train wreck unless you know the roads well.  I have heard little good from tourists driving around in DC.  Between traffic and the road system it can be torturous.  I have been there multiple times and I've not driven in the city at all.  I've been on a tour bus or used the subway system to get into DC proper and then walked around.

2014-01-23 5:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

Thanks for the advice on driving Dirk.  The actual games are in Fairfax, Va., from what I can tell, it is just outside the city.   I do plan to drive down but I will have to check out some other options for getting around the city and sight seeing. 

As for the games most of the events are pretty competitive.  I check out the results from the 2013 games in Belfast and the winner of the Olympic Tri was sub 2 hours I believe.  My PB time would have put me in around 100 out of 170 I think.  As participants have to pay their own way I'm sure being in Ireland limited the participant pool for most sports.  I'm sure the 2015 games will have a much larger field.  I've kind of set a goal for my self of trying to go sub 2:20 by then.  I think this is doable as I feel I have the swim and the bike fitness to do it, it will just come down to the run.  As for right now Im just trying to get faster this season and then ill see what I need to work on for 2015.

2014-01-23 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by Jo63

Dirk that was an awesome ride!

Tony good luck today if you decide to race!

Vero I am sorry you are still not feeling 100% and although I love winter i am a bit jealous of your 70 degrees we are at 12 degrees this morning.

So if everything was correct with my bike yesterday I actually maxed at 280 on the bike for my last 2 intervals I was actually going 20 mph. Plus I finally had gotten myself up early to do it before work Iam hoping to get back in the swing of waking up early cuz I would like to be doing 1 workout in the morning and 1 in the evening when IM training officially begins.

First off...Hello everyone! I haven't even posted my Bio yet.

Work has been busy for a few months and won't let up for a while. (it's a good kind of busy).
I'm just not near a computer when I'm not at work.

My training has been going well and I hope that is the case for everyone...and for those of you for whom it's not right now (Tony), I hope that changes very soon.

Ok...so Jo: Here's my take on your workout.
First off, was that workout done on the road? So 280 watts was only pushing you at 20mph? Please clarify this because if you were actually pushing 280 watts (and that's VERY likely for a 30 second interval), then you should have been much faster than 20mph and we might be able to uncover a reason for that and get you some free speed.

My take on your first workout is that "10x 30 @ 100-106 % and 30 @ 68- 73% " means that you never stopped for 10 minutes. You went from 30 seconds at 100+% to 30 seconds at 70ish% and repeat...
Because that's 10 full minutes off effort, I'm confident that the percentages were percentages of your FTP. In other words, the power you can put out in a sustained manner for 20 minutes when it really matters to you! So you can see why this would be challenging. Because you spend 30 seconds doing MORE than you can handle for 20 minutes in a race situation, then you drop down to something that is still not easy. So during that 30 seconds at the easier effort, your recovery rate is slowed dramatically while you continue to do a respectable amount of work.
Think of it as physically equivalent to riding rolling hills.

And that last one is 18 minutes just under your FTP. So just a little bit less than all you could handle for 20 minutes. So the first 18 minutes will hurt a little, but the 2nd 18 minutes will really make you pay!

My guess is that your FTP might be somewhere in the neighborhood of 180-200watts and that you were overkilling your efforts.
2014-01-23 1:31 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by DirkP

I had a full day yesterday.  I did the whole SBR for my workouts but that hadn't been the plan.  Laiken came over to the house of Thursday night and since I don't get to see her nearly as much since she moved out I thought I could skip that night and add it to my Friday plan.  

Anyway, I swam a 4x500 yesterday morning and checked my data for consistency during the swim.  I swam within 3 strokes total for all 4 of my 500's yesterday morning (195, 197, 196, 197, fastest time was  7:15).  This can be important to help each person find a solid rhythm in their swimming.  Obviously the Garmin 910 helps find this for me but there are other options such as the Finis Swimsense, etc.

I quickly compared workouts from the past and on Aug 17, 2012, I found some 500's where I swam 217, 224, 234  for total strokes.  Very inconsistent.  My times were significantly slower for this particular swim too, so a swim fitness has obviously developed as well (8:07 was the fastest that day).  Part of the inconsistencies are related to the additional length of time for each set but the pattern of poor stroking is apparent.  If I were more consistent with  my stroke count my times would have been much closer.

With that in mind, how about a project for everyone?  For those with the Garmin 910 or other watches that have the capability, begin to examine stroke count a little more closely over some of the longer sets you're completing.  Try to find consistencies and inconsistencies for these swim and attempt to figure out why they exist.  A large reduction in stroke count could be from over-gliding (I found one of those in my log too) and a much higher count may be from short, rapid stroking which tires you out more quickly.  Each person has a sweet spot that will be based on overall height, arm length and fitness, to name a few, but you should be able to find it over time.

If you don't have a watch, try to count stokes for every 100 and see what type of consistency you have through the entire workout.  You don't have to remember all of the info and write it down later, just try yo compare the 100's as you're swimming.  For instance, if you swim one interval at 45 strokes and another at 40 or 50 you can begin to make some interpretations with this information.  This can be just as useful to you as the watch!  You may not have the visible data to back this up but the data exists nonetheless, just in your mind.  If no watch is available make sure you log as much mental data as possible so you can refer back to it later.

NOTE: The stroke count I have used is for one arm only.  The watch does not count both sides, nor does it multiply data to reflect both arms.

Dirk, that's great swimming. I appreciate your encouragement to the group to think about, and prioritize, their swim training. My best 500 in a race, off the blocks, is only in the neighborhood of 7:18, I think. But then again, we aren't surprised you dominate me in the swim!
On that swim front though...I've been showing sustained improvement in my swimming. I'm finding that I can finally (after what? 6 years?) hold threshold in the water for a while. I've always suffered with going into oxygen debt nearly right away. It's just got to do with me learning to relax the muscles in my chest/diaphragm/throat and breath freely. That's never been easy because it means NOT protecting my airway in the event I take in water. It's hard to overcome that instinct, but I can't breath effectively otherwise.
I am also learning to maintain a strong catch and as long as I think about it I can maintain that form. It's still not automatic yet, but I can maintain it when I am focusing. It's getting a grip on the water from the moment my wrist tips in to the catch up front. And it's quite a grip too! I can now grab the water with more 'traction' than I have muscles to yank with. Another component is keeping that press on the water even past my hip for a little extra acceleration in the moment before my other hand begins it's catch.
I was doing this Wednesday and swimming with a tempo and exertion that I would call warm-up level and clocked a 1:30 (Yards), so I was encouraged. I'm going to try to swim that way at practice tomorrow even though we will be racing ourselves through intervals. It will be an important discipline for me.

On the subject of stroke rate. I wonder if it's not a little bit like pedal cadence on the bike? It's possible to put out the same power on the bike in a range of gears by adjusting the pedal cadence to match.
Since a shorter stroke uses less energy than a longer stroke, could there be a range there where efficiency is perhaps close to equivalent at different stroke rates? For instance, I keep hearing that open water swimming favors a shorter, faster stroke rhythm than pool swimming. And it's obvious to me that shorter swimmers stroke shorter, but faster and ultimately equal the speed of taller swimmers.

If I'm right in theory, then all that means is that we don't all need to feel compelled to get the smallest stroke count possible. I actually find myself increasing my stroke rate when I'm getting really gassed because I need to breath faster, so I need that breathing cycle to come around quicker! So I actually get the oxygen I need by shortening my pull a few inches. That might be bad...but maybe not?
2014-01-23 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Oh man Tony that is terrible. My thought and prayers are with the family.

As for my bike ride... I honestly do not know the difference as far as threshold or vo2 whatever I just do what the workout says lol so the main set was alternating 10x 30 @ 100-106 % and 30 @ 68- 73% I felt pretty good yesterday but today was a deiiferent story, for the main set it was 2x18 @ 94-100% I made it thru the first set then I was supposed to do 4 min easy but had to take a 10 min easy before I could push thru rest good news is I finished! So question...... Would it be better to somehow push thru the beginning of the second set and let up at the end or do it how i did it?

Another question Jo. Since that workout plan is using FTP, do you know what yours is? The program probably had you do an FTP test early in the program so that you could key your workouts off that value.
It would be HR if you didn't have any other option, but since you have a power meter that's what you would measure your FTP in (watts) and it would be more consistent and objective than heart rate.
2014-01-23 2:09 PM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jeff it's to see you checking in and I'm glad to hear that your training is going well and that you are seeing improvement with your swimming. Just to let you know my training is going just fine so far. I'm about 3 weeks into it now and just focusing on the shorter time but higher intensity workouts for the bike and run. I'm still taking it easy on the swim and trying to improve my poor technique twice a week.

I think you make a good point on the stroke rate. I've heard alot about less strokes being better but for me I'm the total opposite. I have a long stroke and have been trying to increase my stroke rate a bit. I tend to overglide and have that stop and pause which slows me down and I actually have to work harder I think to keep going because I slow down too much in between strokes. I know the swim smooth guys kind of preach finding your sweet spot for stroke rate depending on what style swimmer you are and sounds similiar to what you are saying about finding a range of efficiency in regards to your stroke rate.
2014-01-23 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
I've been eating much more healthy and it's helping.
I've never been one to put much emphasis on 'nutrition' because over the years I've tried all of the vitamins and supplements and never noticed a difference. (I'm not susceptible to the placebo effect).
However, what I have been doing for the last year at least is focusing ONLY on getting a good amount and ratio of macro nutrients. Never gave any thought to micronutrients. To an extreme. So now that I'm eating well and eating variety, perhaps that's why I'm feeling better?
I think I'm also chronically sleep deprived and in extreme cases that can screw with levels of neurotransmitters in the brain and throw off the CNS to the point it can affect things like heart rate and whatnot.
There also may be a factor in a medication that I'm on and I'm going to experiment (with my Dr.) in cutting that dosage.

Any or all of these could have something to do with feeling better recently.

Saturday I was on a stationary trainer and average 276 Watts for 2 hrs 2 minutes. That was decent.

I haven't been getting in my long weekend runs, but I am still getting in 6 runs per week and have been running faster at the same exertion level and HR compared to my baseline. Even had a run at 8:30 pace this week for 5 miles with an average HR in the mid 120s. Like sitting on the couch.

None of this is objective improvement until I test myself in a race of course. So that's my big question right now. Do I just feel better, or am I going to be faster too?

2014-01-23 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Derek, I was just looking through the rides on trainerroad and seen your ride for tonight. Are you ok? After seeing that thing I am wondering if you may be in a pile on the floor?

Junction looks brutal, I think I may have to give it a try.
2014-01-24 5:21 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by mambosDerek, I was just looking through the rides on trainerroad and seen your ride for tonight. Are you ok? After seeing that thing I am wondering if you may be in a pile on the floor?

Junction looks brutal, I think I may have to give it a try.
Ya when I looked at it I said, wait, that can be right, that's the ride I barely completed a few days ago, only with less recovery and crammed at the end of 50 minutes of tempo riding and sprints. It was a good workout and I think I could have completed the last set of sprints but my knees were feeling a little sore from all the high FTP work lately, and with the ToS starting on Sat I wanted to make sure I still had something in the tank.I'm glad the Tour Down Under has started as I finally have some new races to watch while on the trainer. I've been watching World Cup cyclocross races since early December, lol.
2014-01-24 8:33 AM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

I'm confused about the Tour of Sufferlandria, DEREK so can you explain it to my pea brain?.   It looks like you need to own each of those 12 downloads, is that correct?   And then you just do them during those 9 days in that order and chat about it on-line (well, if you're part of trainerroad then you post there too) .  Right?    Forgive my ignorance since I'm a newbie to Sufferfest.   It looks like a fun challenge but I only have 1 of the downloads that's being used.

2014-01-24 8:37 AM

User image

Oh and FYI to  DIRK and JOANNE - Wisconsin Brick Adventure just posted the dates they're doing the weekend - it's August 1-3.  That's later than I was hoping but it's still doable for me, I believe.  

2014-01-24 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by bswcpa

I'm confused about the Tour of Sufferlandria, DEREK so can you explain it to my pea brain?.   It looks like you need to own each of those 12 downloads, is that correct?   And then you just do them during those 9 days in that order and chat about it on-line (well, if you're part of trainerroad then you post there too) .  Right?    Forgive my ignorance since I'm a newbie to Sufferfest.   It looks like a fun challenge but I only have 1 of the downloads that's being used.

Brenda, if you are on trainerroad you don't have to own the videos, they have the workouts as one of their sections. I only have 3 of the videos and will just do the workout.

This is going to be a lot fun, hopefully I make it out the other side :

2014-01-24 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by JeffY
Originally posted by DirkP

I had a full day yesterday.  I did the whole SBR for my workouts but that hadn't been the plan.  Laiken came over to the house of Thursday night and since I don't get to see her nearly as much since she moved out I thought I could skip that night and add it to my Friday plan.  

Anyway, I swam a 4x500 yesterday morning and checked my data for consistency during the swim.  I swam within 3 strokes total for all 4 of my 500's yesterday morning (195, 197, 196, 197, fastest time was  7:15).  This can be important to help each person find a solid rhythm in their swimming.  Obviously the Garmin 910 helps find this for me but there are other options such as the Finis Swimsense, etc.

I quickly compared workouts from the past and on Aug 17, 2012, I found some 500's where I swam 217, 224, 234  for total strokes.  Very inconsistent.  My times were significantly slower for this particular swim too, so a swim fitness has obviously developed as well (8:07 was the fastest that day).  Part of the inconsistencies are related to the additional length of time for each set but the pattern of poor stroking is apparent.  If I were more consistent with  my stroke count my times would have been much closer.

With that in mind, how about a project for everyone?  For those with the Garmin 910 or other watches that have the capability, begin to examine stroke count a little more closely over some of the longer sets you're completing.  Try to find consistencies and inconsistencies for these swim and attempt to figure out why they exist.  A large reduction in stroke count could be from over-gliding (I found one of those in my log too) and a much higher count may be from short, rapid stroking which tires you out more quickly.  Each person has a sweet spot that will be based on overall height, arm length and fitness, to name a few, but you should be able to find it over time.

If you don't have a watch, try to count stokes for every 100 and see what type of consistency you have through the entire workout.  You don't have to remember all of the info and write it down later, just try yo compare the 100's as you're swimming.  For instance, if you swim one interval at 45 strokes and another at 40 or 50 you can begin to make some interpretations with this information.  This can be just as useful to you as the watch!  You may not have the visible data to back this up but the data exists nonetheless, just in your mind.  If no watch is available make sure you log as much mental data as possible so you can refer back to it later.

NOTE: The stroke count I have used is for one arm only.  The watch does not count both sides, nor does it multiply data to reflect both arms.

Dirk, that's great swimming. I appreciate your encouragement to the group to think about, and prioritize, their swim training. My best 500 in a race, off the blocks, is only in the neighborhood of 7:18, I think. But then again, we aren't surprised you dominate me in the swim! On that swim front though...I've been showing sustained improvement in my swimming. I'm finding that I can finally (after what? 6 years?) hold threshold in the water for a while. I've always suffered with going into oxygen debt nearly right away. It's just got to do with me learning to relax the muscles in my chest/diaphragm/throat and breath freely. That's never been easy because it means NOT protecting my airway in the event I take in water. It's hard to overcome that instinct, but I can't breath effectively otherwise. I am also learning to maintain a strong catch and as long as I think about it I can maintain that form. It's still not automatic yet, but I can maintain it when I am focusing. It's getting a grip on the water from the moment my wrist tips in to the catch up front. And it's quite a grip too! I can now grab the water with more 'traction' than I have muscles to yank with. Another component is keeping that press on the water even past my hip for a little extra acceleration in the moment before my other hand begins it's catch. I was doing this Wednesday and swimming with a tempo and exertion that I would call warm-up level and clocked a 1:30 (Yards), so I was encouraged. I'm going to try to swim that way at practice tomorrow even though we will be racing ourselves through intervals. It will be an important discipline for me. On the subject of stroke rate. I wonder if it's not a little bit like pedal cadence on the bike? It's possible to put out the same power on the bike in a range of gears by adjusting the pedal cadence to match. Since a shorter stroke uses less energy than a longer stroke, could there be a range there where efficiency is perhaps close to equivalent at different stroke rates? For instance, I keep hearing that open water swimming favors a shorter, faster stroke rhythm than pool swimming. And it's obvious to me that shorter swimmers stroke shorter, but faster and ultimately equal the speed of taller swimmers. If I'm right in theory, then all that means is that we don't all need to feel compelled to get the smallest stroke count possible. I actually find myself increasing my stroke rate when I'm getting really gassed because I need to breath faster, so I need that breathing cycle to come around quicker! So I actually get the oxygen I need by shortening my pull a few inches. That might be bad...but maybe not?

I think there are many aspects of my swimming that are getting better, many of which you're mentioning, but a better fitness is certainly part of the equation.

On the subject of stroke rate:  I think definitely aspects of cadence and power related efforts on the bike can be similar to stroke rate in the water.  But there are certain costs either way.  For instance, when pedaling a lower gear you have to use more muscular power to drive the pedals at a given wattage.  Conversely, pedaling at a higher cadence is less taxing muscularly (causing less burn) but the respiratory exertion seems to increase.  Thus stroke rate would appear to be similar;  A higher stroke rate would seem to drive us deeper into the oxygen deficit, causing us to want to breath more frequently.  While the longer, slower stroke rate would seem to require more power and muscular development.  (I suppose one of the reasons a longer stroke seems to work better for me is strong shoulder and back muscles, theoretically.)

You mention being gassed and wanting to breath more frequently, thus shortening your stroke.  I usually fight this (I am becoming more conscientious in my efforts) by taking more breaths overall.  For example, I am a bilateral breather making this a bit easier for me.  When I am doing hard efforts or long efforts at an uncomfortable pace, I'll usually breath an extra time for a given length.  It's done in this fashion: Normally breathing every third stroke, I alternate sides, but as I drive myself into oxygen deficit, I'll add one extra breath (or maybe 2 if I'm thoroughly gassed) by breathing on the second stroke.  So it would look like; right, left, right, left, right, right, left, right.....  I can do this for 2-3 lengths during a 500, usually done at the 50% or 75% complete marks, and catch my wind and not lose much in the order of clock time.

Finding the sweet spot:  As with cycling cadence, I believe each person has a sweet spot to find.  Each of us has an ideal numeric range that we can perform best within.  This takes time to develop and a strong conscious effort to determine.  Data can provide the easiest paths to this number but the mental games that must be played over time can wreck a persons effort if they're not determined.  I mention this because we tend to get into a groove and feel one thing or another is "just the way it is" and we become complacent and just keep doing it like we always have.  A person has to be very decisive about the way they will swim at a higher effort, higher stroke rate, longer stroke, etc. to find their personal sweet spot, and I think it can become pretty physically and mentally hard because efforts increase or decrease through the testing.

• Efforts increase because: you have to swim harder at a higher stroke rate and/or shorter stroke.  This discomfort can tire us out more quickly causing us to give up and just get the workout completed.
  • Efforts decrease because: the need to stretch your stroke seems to make things easier on your body, causing us to feel like we need to swim harder, sabotaging our testing a longer stroke.

Data provides the visual reference points to determine where we can be, however RPE plays a very important role in this determination.  In my case I felt like a I had completed a moderate effort for a 500 and came in at 7:15 and a reduced stroke rate.  While this was not a PR for the distance, it was a pointer toward similar efforts with a longer time AND higher stroke rate;  Leading me to the conclusion that a lower stroke rate combined with a longer stroke is better for me..........But, my experimentation will continue.

2014-01-24 9:33 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

NH
Sorry for my absence, I am crazy busy with too many things but I do have short periods so I'll try to check in and comment on a few things.

Joanne, you described two workouts: 1 was a 30 seconds on, 30 second off, and the second was 2x18 at 94-100% FTP. Those numbers are definitely based on FTP and if that's Jorge's plan he has a testing methodology for power or HR, so we'll assume you used that. These two workouts are training different things, and that's why having a good idea of your FTP is important.

*** And just a nit pick again for Jeff, the 20 minute TT test is not quite FTP. A 20 minute test is a typical test protocol since it's easier to repeat than a full hour, but the 20 minute number is usually about 5% higher than your FTP (though that can vary a bit by individual). In fact, a super well trained athlete can hold FTP watts for up to 90 minutes. But as you go over FTP, even 10-15%, the duration you can hold those watts gets very short. ***

To Joannes question about needing some extra recovery doing that 2x18 at 94-100 workout. That's a very challenging workout, both mentally and physically. This is a classic TT improvement workout. I would suggest taking the first set at more in the 94% range, and then trying to get the second one started with only 4 minute rests and start at 94% again. If you feel strong after the first half of that second interval, try to push it up to threshold. The idea is to be able to push close to FTP watts for extended periods. This is a mental training workout as much as it is a physical one.
2014-01-24 2:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Hi Junkies! I've been trying to run 3 days a week even though the cough has not gone away. I did get to spend a little time on a bike this last Sunday too. I still haven't gone to see a doctor about the cough yet. I'm really reluctant to spend the money to have a dr. say "its a cold, go rest" The plan is to run the 2 mile Frosty Fun Run tomorrow morning with some friends so we'll see how I do in that situation.

Edited by JonnyVero 2014-01-24 4:40 PM
2014-01-25 5:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Originally posted by JeffY

Dirk that was an awesome ride!

Tony good luck today if you decide to race!

Vero I am sorry you are still not feeling 100% and although I love winter i am a bit jealous of your 70 degrees we are at 12 degrees this morning.

So if everything was correct with my bike yesterday I actually maxed at 280 on the bike for my last 2 intervals I was actually going 20 mph. Plus I finally had gotten myself up early to do it before work Iam hoping to get back in the swing of waking up early cuz I would like to be doing 1 workout in the morning and 1 in the evening when IM training officially begins.

First off...Hello everyone! I haven't even posted my Bio yet.

Work has been busy for a few months and won't let up for a while. (it's a good kind of busy).
I'm just not near a computer when I'm not at work.

My training has been going well and I hope that is the case for everyone...and for those of you for whom it's not right now (Tony), I hope that changes very soon.

Ok...so Jo: Here's my take on your workout.
First off, was that workout done on the road? So 280 watts was only pushing you at 20mph? Please clarify this because if you were actually pushing 280 watts (and that's VERY likely for a 30 second interval), then you should have been much faster than 20mph and we might be able to uncover a reason for that and get you some free speed.

My take on your first workout is that "10x 30 @ 100-106 % and 30 @ 68- 73% " means that you never stopped for 10 minutes. You went from 30 seconds at 100+% to 30 seconds at 70ish% and repeat...
Because that's 10 full minutes off effort, I'm confident that the percentages were percentages of your FTP. In other words, the power you can put out in a sustained manner for 20 minutes when it really matters to you! So you can see why this would be challenging. Because you spend 30 seconds doing MORE than you can handle for 20 minutes in a race situation, then you drop down to something that is still not easy. So during that 30 seconds at the easier effort, your recovery rate is slowed dramatically while you continue to do a respectable amount of work.
Think of it as physically equivalent to riding rolling hills.

And that last one is 18 minutes just under your FTP. So just a little bit less than all you could handle for 20 minutes. So the first 18 minutes will hurt a little, but the 2nd 18 minutes will really make you pay!

My guess is that your FTP might be somewhere in the neighborhood of 180-200watts and that you were overkilling your efforts.

I am doing Jorge's winter program and I was not riding on the road, and yes i was going 20 mph which apparently wasnt fast but at the time I was thrilled because I am having trouble getting faster when I started I tested using HR! I got a power meter for Christmas and didn't want to retest ( maybe this was wrong) so i have been using HR and just seeing where I am with power, my thought was to test with power the week before I start IM training. So.... If you can figure out why I am working hard and not going as fast as I should be or getting any faster that would be awesome!!

And thanks warren I will try at a lesser % so I can make it thru the ride!! Knowing this I will try not to beat myself up next time if I struggle to get thru

Edited by Jo63 2014-01-25 6:00 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Winter Edition - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 17, 2011
author : Anderleka
Top suggestions for making the most of your off-season.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : October 23, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is for a second year or greater athlete who wants to improve their run. The athlete must be able to run for at least 1 hour and should be able to complete 4 weekly run sessions.
date : October 2, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 1
So which one is best for you? It boils down to the aforementioned questions only you can answer and, ultimately, to what extent you will use it as a tool for winter cycling fitness.

date : January 30, 2005
author : Glenn
Many of us do not enjoy the ‘pleasures’ of training on a stationery trainer. “Boring”, ”mind-numbing”, “a drag” are three phrases often associated with indoor trainers.