BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-01-18 5:37 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (AJAR)
Originally posted by ingleshteechur

This is an example of a trainer.  Some people hate using the trainer, I love it.

Ah yes that is what I have not quite as flash looking as that.

Will have to practice with the cleats on it very funny yesterday picked up bike and tried 1 cleat on and fell off in the workshop-hey at least I wasn't moving! feel free to giggle

2014-01-18 7:16 PM
in reply to: #4921078

Hi Mike and Kim,
I hope the mentor program is still AJAR.
I'm trying to do my first Tri this year, I have tried the past two years, but injuries to my spine and ankles stopped me.
Here is some Bio info:
Married two kids: 19, 20
I'm 45 love to workout but have spent way too much time hitting the weights and avoid the pool like the plague.
I'm currently about 180lbs trying to drop 10-15 more before Spring.
I live in NJ and play on doing 2 Tris in the Northeast.
I can be reached at [email protected]
Thanks a lot,
Andrew
2014-01-18 8:07 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by [email protected] Hi Mike and Kim, I hope the mentor program is still AJAR. I'm trying to do my first Tri this year, I have tried the past two years, but injuries to my spine and ankles stopped me. Here is some Bio info: Married two kids: 19, 20 I'm 45 love to workout but have spent way too much time hitting the weights and avoid the pool like the plague. I'm currently about 180lbs trying to drop 10-15 more before Spring. I live in NJ and play on doing 2 Tris in the Northeast. I can be reached at [email protected] Thanks a lot, Andrew

Welcome aboard Andrew.  Add everyone to your friends list and start inspiring and contributing! 

2014-01-18 11:23 PM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (OPEN)
Originally posted by Tridimi

Okay,

my first real question. I have been reading up a lot of stuff on how to train and i put some general ideas on how to do it. Now i want to slowly put these general ideas in to a concrete plan. The first discipline I want to tackle, is swimming. This is because at the moment my running is focussing on just running for an hour straight and get used with that before turning it up a notch to get some speed. And biking is something which is hard to plan at the moment because I live in a cold rainy country and I need better weather. So for the moment if the weahter is okay, I just do a trip to wherever I like.

So swimming.... At this moment i'm doing this session:

Warming-up: 300m relax
                         4x50m technique, 15" rest
                        4x25 sprint, 1 minute time to do the sprint and to start next one.
                        100m relax
Kern: 3x200m progressive, slow - moderate - fast, 15" rest
          100m relax (any style fits)
          3x200m progressive, slow - moderate - fast, 15" rest
cool down: 400m relax (any style is okay)

Total: 2400m

I try to do this about 2 to 3 times a week. But when I see other people who uses a coach, there is off course a lot more variety. So what could I do to bring in some variety. And what are good drills?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUULNJEdKU8

Are these any good? I understand how to do them but I don't see the advantage of doing them. And is 20% drills into your total swim training not much?

At this moment I also have paddles. But they are fairly huge and rectangle shape. (They are 19 years old now but still in good condition, thank you Speedo) Are they good to use and what exercises should I do with them?

And lastly. I've never been much of a leg user. If i'm doing a 25 or 50m sprint, i kick the water to pieces, though if I'm going for longer "sprints", I find myself to only do a "body-roll kick". I don't know if this si the correct term for it but it basically is i do not really do a propulsion kick, but more of a tiny kick to make my body rotation go smooth. Should I worry about that and try and do more kicks? I consider myself a very good floater and don't really need my legs to stay pretty horizontal in the water. Even at slow speeds, i have a good "feel" for the water. Or do I praise myself lucky to have a swimming style which saves my legs for the biking and running part?

A lot of questions but I think a lot of starters with no swimming coach will know at least some of these problems.

These are all good questions, last year I was only training endurance I have always been a swimmer, then I got onto the drills. I think if you have a good technique and endurance then add in the drills it will increase your speed. im not sure about the 25m sprint I only swim 50 m pool or beach. I did try the paddles for the first time this morning and it felt weird but i could definitely feel lats engaging more then when i swam with out them i could feel the difference in my stroke.

I am just doing the beginner OD training from BT
2014-01-18 11:27 PM

User image

Originally posted by Jynxy ok Mentors time to earn your worth, (or others if you've done 1 already) this is obviously my first ever Tri at Tri, (he he see what I did there) could you give me a detailed pre race day preparation and race day do, donts and through the race, Transition, what you would wear when you would wear it, what nutrition you may take if any (I know it all depends on the person) what you do after the race and post race days. don't rush.

This is a big question!  What will your first distance be?  I'll give you a run down of my typical routine.

My races are always in another city so there is always travel involved.  When I pack I make a list and run through my transitions in my head and mark things off my list as I physically put them in my tri bag.  I always get to registration with plenty of time to register, scope things out, etc.  

Set up:  again depends of race distance and the venue.  At one HIM I had to set my bike up the night before because T1 (swim to bike) and T2 (bike to run) were in two different locations.  Most times T1 and T2 are in the same place, makes things a lot easier.

Morning of race:  I am an early early riser so I always get up hours before I need to.  I like to be up and awake.  I'll eat something (again, depending on distance of the race this can differ).  Typically I eat a banana or bagel and peanut butter and a cup of green tea.  The routine is always the same--the food, the tea.  Once you find a nutrition plan that works for you, stick with it.  Don't add in some freaky food the morning of the race...this can be bad.  Very bad.

Pre race:  Get to designated TI area with all my gear.  Rack my bike (you will be given a designated area where you are to hang your bike.  This is your transition area). The space under your bike is your area, where you keep everything you'll need.  This less stuff you have the better.  You don't want to clutter your area, or your neighbor's.  Chances are you'll have people on either side of you and you don't want to impede on their space.  After I rack my bike I always look for a mental landmark to help me find my bike.  I'll look for a tree, a sign, something that will help me get right to my bike. When you come out of the water the adrenaline is pumping, you might be a little dizzy (normal) so running right past your bike is easy to do. Once I pull out my wetsuit, goggles, towel, I set up my transitions.  I also identify  the 'swim in',  'bike out/bike in" and the 'run out' areas are.  I walk through those to see what direction I'll be coming in to help orient myself as to where my transition area is 

I put my helmet/sunglasses on my bike seat.  I place my bike shoes and socks under the bike along with a tank top/tech shirt (depending on weather) with the race bib already pinned on. I'll unvelcro my bike shoes so they're ready to be put on quickly. Under my wetsuit I wear a sports bra and bike shorts.  Next, I set out my running shoes, hat and fuel belt already loaded with a water bottle and GU (if it's longer than a sprint distance) and my race watch.  My bike already has a water bottle loaded on it as well. That's pretty much it! 

Preswim:  get wetsuit and swimcap on, goggles on my head.  You'll get your swimcap with your race packet.  Different colors for different age groups.  Pay attention to when your group is to enter the water.  Enter the water when it's time, get goggles set, spash around a bit and BOOM..swim!

T1:  Come out of the water and head to transition area.  Try to remember where my darn bike is!  Get to bike, peel off wetsuit, take off swim cap/goggles.  Put on tank top, put on socks, bike shoes, sunglasses.  Put on helmet.  Grab bike and jog with bike to the 'bike out' area.  Get on bike and away I go!  Pedal, pedal, pedal!

T2:  Come in to T2 with bike, head back to rack spot, hang bike.  Take off helmet (always always!) Take off bike shoes, running shoes on, fuel belt on, hat on and head to the 'run out' area.  Run, run, run...get to the finish and DONE!  

The key is really to be prepared and to mentally go through everything you'll need.  Once transition is set up, it's easy!  It's just swim, bike, run!

This is my routine in a nutshell!  There are probably some small detail I may have left out that others can chime in on!

That is pretty much my routine, except we have'nt used a wetsuit. One thing I got pulled up for 2 events ago, I forgot to leave my helmet buckeld up, I'm sure it is thesame in the US, you cant unrack your bike until your helmet is on and buckled and you must rack at T2 before taking or unclipping helmet it only cost a couple of seconds but having someoene yell at you to stop and do your helmet up really messed with my thought pattern as I was coming into T2. Just completely slipped my mind. And hydrate day before
2014-01-19 9:34 AM
in reply to: Lanne

User image

Chelmsford, England
afternoon all i thought I would do a little weekly roundup,

last week was supposed to be a recovery week, I think the only thing that changed was the distances I covered. I am unsure whether or not I should of eased back on the paces as well for the week.

I think I have finally found my base week now,
my long run and short bike on the sunday @ easy pace,
my long bike on Monday @ easy pace
a middle distance run on Tuesday @ fast pace, with swim in the evening
having my rest day on a Wednesday
a medium bike on Thursday @ fast pace, with swim in evening
a medium bike and short run brick @ race pace
Saturday is either referee or playing. if I don't do either I can do sundays bike here
short bike and long run brick @ easy pace

currently my race pace is 3:45 bike and 9min run
a easy pace would be 4.15 bike and 9.30min run
a fast pace would be 3.30 bike and 8.30min run

I will weigh myself tomorrow when I wake up and blog it but it feels like ive lost a few more pounds.

how has your week gone ???

2014-01-19 9:47 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England

What's the training plan for the weekend for everyone? 

The plans were: Run 1hour today and rest tomorrow.

Whaty probably will happen: 2 days rest.

I had an afterwork reception which kinda went crazy and a colleague had to drop me off at 2am this morning pretty hammered up...

did it then or did you get out for a run
2014-01-19 11:00 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

In reply of Jynxy's post about how this week was:

This week was supposed to be a week was all about building it up a bit more. Which parrtly succeeded untill real life kicked in. I planned a bike training on wednesday but it rained in the morning and i had to take care of my boy in the afternoon. In the evening i had some work to do which i couldn't recall. And yesterday i was supposed to do a long run but well... :D Now I have 1 hour of work left to do. After that I'm going home ASAP and try and do a long evening run in the cold.

Oh, and yesterday I contacted a tri-club here in the city and I decided I will join them. They have 3 swimtraining sessions/week and they work on technique. So thats excellent!

2014-01-19 3:31 PM
in reply to: #4934343

User image

Elite
Hi Group!

The indoor triathlon was a total blast yesterday. My daughter and I had so much fun doing it together. On the run I was ready to put the hammer down, starting pulling ahead from my daughter but then realized it was for fun and we were in it together so I reined it in and we ran together. So much fun! I met a nice lady--yesterday was her first ever triathlon. I invited her to check out the group, we'll see if she does. I didn't fill out a race report but my splits are in my training log if you want to check them out. My swim is where I have the best opportunity to improve (how's that for a positive outlook!).

This morning I finished my training week with 3.5 hours on the trainer. 62 miles--pretty happy with that.

Who's watching football today? I am, only because I want some chill out time on the couch with hubby!
2014-01-19 3:34 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Sounds like you and your daughter has some real quality time! I have to admit I'm a bit jealous. I hope when Mini-Me is a bit older, we too can share such moments.

As for training, I'm very glad i pushed out another training after work. This is officially the most hours (5h32m) of training I ever did in one week (without counting bike training). Hurray for me! My goal for next week is to try and beat that! :D

2014-01-19 4:11 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England

Sounds like you and your daughter has some real quality time! I have to admit I'm a bit jealous. I hope when Mini-Me is a bit older, we too can share such moments.

As for training, I'm very glad i pushed out another training after work. This is officially the most hours (5h32m) of training I ever did in one week (without counting bike training). Hurray for me! My goal for next week is to try and beat that! :D

Wtg dimitri, the problem is it's going to be a little harder to beat next week, so try not to beat it by too much or the following week will be a killer

2014-01-19 7:47 PM

User image

Looking forward to fresh week! trying to stick to training plan as much as possible,
have a good one Fuzzy's
2014-01-20 1:52 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Originally posted by Jynxy Wtg dimitri, the problem is it's going to be a little harder to beat next week, so try not to beat it by too much or the following week will be a killer

Yeah, I know i can't beat it every week, but I do feel i had more then enough time to do another training. At the moment I'm training when I can and try to feel where my boundaries are. And my body still says I aint pushing it too hard. In fact last week I woke up every morning without feeling sore or exhausted.

2014-01-20 2:32 AM
in reply to: Lanne

User image

HI Everybody

i thought while you are all asleep _ time difference LOL i would just say hi from Sunny South Africa and let you know that i am loving this site and just so amped and excited to do my first triathlon. We are having the most incredible weather as South Africa always has and so training outdoors is a breeze. I am still battling with making a call on full weight training and Full tri-training. Gonna have to choose my sport soon but must say not battling with the two sessions per day yet so gonna keep doing that for a while.

Today i took off morning training as we have legs tonight and i like pumping my legs with heavy squats and heavy leg press so resting them from cardio today. Tomorrow morning i will get back into the swim and bike and run in the morning. between work ( i work from home thank goodness) and the active 3 kids mom taxi role i play in the afternoons i am at least getting all the training in. Our family lives in the gym with hubby being a Classic Bodybuilding champion and having to get ready for the Nationals in august... hee hee ( evil laugh) i have him looking at iron man toooo

So have an awesome week and i will be reading all your training programs as i am such a novice here...
Just very excited. I went to check out my new bike - TITAN CARBON 650B CALYPSO RACE - what do yo guys rate that bike as???

BIKE SPECIFICATIONS

15.5", 17.5"
CARBON 650B
MANITOU MARVEL COMP AIR TAPER WITH LOCKOUT
TITAN PRO
TITAN FLAT
TITAN
SHIMANO XT
SHIMANO SLX
SHIMANO SLX
SHIMANO SLX 42/32/24T
SHIMANO M446
KMC X10
STANS ZTR ARCH 32H TL
SHIMANO SLX
RACING RALPH PERFORMANCE 27.5" X 2.25" FOLDING
SHIMANO M505
SELLE ROYAL SETA
TITAN PRO

and then I am quite short at 1.62meters and although they all say 29 i am thinking that perhaps i should rather look at 26 or 27.5 wheels. Any advice that you can give me there..

Looking forward to hearing from you guys
2014-01-20 6:59 AM
in reply to: poisonivy

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Good morning all (we have a lot of time zones represented here). 

I inspired a few of you that log defaults can be set to metric rather than English units.  To do so go to your "Settings" (hover over your name in the red banner at the top of the page).  Then select "Training Log Settings" and then "General Log Settings."  You can select units for logging swim, bike, and run distances as well as weight, height, etc. 

2014-01-20 7:11 AM
in reply to: poisonivy

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Jo-Anne,

I'm not an expert on mountain bike components.  29 refers to the wheel size and I think is the same as 700C wheels.  They are obviously wider wheels/tires than road tires and that changes the outside diamter some.  Would a bike with 26" wheels be better for you?  (If you look at the tire size, 27.5x2.25 suggests this is the 27.5" wheel diameter even if they call it "29")  That is hard to say.  If you are purchasing the bike at a bike shop, the people in the shop should be knowledgable and get you the right size bike.  If you are purchasing from a "big box" store, the staff is generally less knowledgable so you'll need to do more research on your own. 

Frame size is the more important characteristic to having the right size bike, and I think you have the option of 17.5" or 19.5" frames.  You'd probably want the smaller frame.  I can't tell form what you've posted if the bike has an adjustible stem, but if it does, you can potentially change it to bring the handlebars closer to your seat and more vertical if the 15.5" frame is still too large.  If it doesn't have an adjustible stem, you can replace the stem with one that is adjustible.  Something like this:  http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1130996_-1___000000

2014-01-20 7:41 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

I'm not a MTB expert by any means but I have some friends and I read a lot on bike forums. The choice of 29er or a 26er depends on the purpose you will use that bike for. A 29er gives more comfort, has better stability and overall is better in descending hills. A 26er is more agile and due to its smaller wheels, the acceleration is faster. So if your choice is competition with a lot of windy roads, a 26er is the way to go. If you're planning to do more road and longer distances or don't really care about the acceleration, then a 29er is your choice.

Overall, I would suggest a 29er. If someday you want to equip slicks to ride a nice tour on asphalt, the difference will be significant.

2014-01-20 1:50 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jynxy ok Mentors time to earn your worth, (or others if you've done 1 already) this is obviously my first ever Tri at Tri, (he he see what I did there) could you give me a detailed pre race day preparation and race day do, donts and through the race, Transition, what you would wear when you would wear it, what nutrition you may take if any (I know it all depends on the person) what you do after the race and post race days. don't rush.

Kim did a great job answering this question.  I offer a slightly different take on race day. 

Keys to race day success:
1)  Remember you are doing this to have fun.  No matter what, you should be smiling and grinning. 
2)  Your race strategy needs to be consistent with your ACTUAL training. 
3)  Organization is your friend. 
4)  Be gracious.  Thank anyone who helps you with the race. 

These keys often overlap. 

You can find race day checklists elsewhere on this site or other online sights or you can make one yourself.  You might be surprised at how LITTLE you need to complete a triathlon.  You need a bicycle, helmet, and something to swim-bike-run in.  I consider shoes a necessity, but kids somehow manage to run all summer long barefoot.  I did my first two triathlons on a steel-frame mountain bike, wearing a pair of swim trunks and pulling on an old, cotton t-shirt and running shoes (and socks).  I did have goggles for swimming and sunglasses for the bike/run.  Now I did have a water bottle, pump, and tool kit for my bike, but I didn't use any of those.  I have more "stuff" now as well...

Consider what your training has been when devising your race-day strategy and then stick to a strategy supported by your training.  If you've been training well and feeling healthy, expect to go at or a little faster than your training paces.  If you've been shuffling along with a sore foot, (you guessed it...), you'll go at a similar pace.  Please don't expect to run 7 minute miles in a race if you're training at 9 minute miles!  It doesn't matter that maybe you ran 7 minute miles 3 months ago (or 10 years ago)...speed rarely shows up "miraculously."  You may find out "a little harder" can make a big difference, especially in longer races where nutrition becomes important. 

The transition area is where you'll switch from one activity to another, and you'll have the equipment from each activity in that area.  Again, combine organization, graciousness, and fun.  Pack the gear you NEED for the race into a small bag.  You'll generally get a swim cap, race numbers, and timing chip from the race (either the day before, or the morning of the race).  You'll bring your bicycle, helmet, shoes, sunglasses, goggles, race belt, swimsuit/tri-suit, etc. in that small bag (unless you are wearing your swimsuit/tri-suit).  Try to limit the stuff you bring in to just what is needed for the race.  Bring anything else you can imagine might help if catestrophe hits (bike pump, spare tires, tools, etc.) and leave it in the car.  Why organize like this?  It should reduce race-day stress!  While each person is unique, consider that you can get bye in a short race (sprint/oly) without extra nutrition.  You should be able to do a 1-3 hour race with just water and some sports drink which is often provided on the course.  (If you know what sports drink they will have, try some in training.)  The less gear you have to track, the more you will enjoy the day.  Theft does happen (many races secure the transition area), but more commonly, your neighbors in transition are so focused on their own activity that they don't realize they bumped your bike and knocked your sunglasses into the grass or dripped all over your socks while getting their own shoes/socks on. 

Remember the first key.  You're there to have fun.  Your finish time is unlikely to jeopardize your job or your house.  Your finish time won't change how your spouse, parents, children, dog (he'll love you anyways), cat (he won't love you regardless) feel about you.  Your triathlon friends know enough to realize the finish time doesn't tell the whole story (you can read my IMCdA race report for an example) and your non-tri friends don't care (harsh, but true).  What can and does matter is your attitude throughout the day.  If it takes you 2 minutes to pull a shirt on in T1, I say "so what?"  Is it fun to ride your bike in 60F (15C) air while wearing a dripping wet shirt?  (I don't like it...)  For me, it's worth quickly drying off and putting a dry shirt on and *enjoy* the ride.  (Yes, I have a tri-top, and I sometimes wear it for racing.)  If you find yourself getting stressed or anxious and ready to unleash on someone for the time you're standing in line or because you spent an hour making your transition home just perfect and someone scattered your gear, remember, you're there to have fun.  Take time to say "Thank you" to race volunteers, police officers, spectators, other participants, and your family. 

After the race, I like to bring a change of clothes, gallon jug of water, and a washcloth/bandana so I can sponge off and get out of my sweaty, stinky clothes ASAP.  Naps are always good later in the day, and sometimes a celebratory drink or dinner

2014-01-20 2:46 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Dimitri,

Drills and kicking are part of what "swimmers" do to get faster and better.  We triathletes can benefit from doing them also.  I've never swam competitively, but I have participated in some coached swimming and I've learned a few of the drills.  Swimmers also do a lot more shorter sets (25, 50, 75, or 100 yard efforts) and not as many 300-500 yard efforts.  Why?  Doing 6x50 and resting between efforts lets you "reset" your fatigue and swim with better form.  Pay attention to how your form changes between the first 50 and the last 50.  That is more important than the increased time.  Done right, you should be (barely) able to do the last interval in the same time you did the first interval...As such, 20% devoted to drills isn't unusual. 

Here are some acryonyms/drills:
FTD-Fingertip Drag:  Drag your fingertips through the water close to your sides during the recovery.  It forces you to have high elbows and good rotation. 
CU-Catch Up:  Your hand "catches up" with your other hand during the cycle.  Pull and recover with your left hand, and when your left hand is extended in front of you, pull and recover with the right hand. 
Pencil:  Similar to CU, but you transfer a pencil or stick from hand to hand. 
Zipper:  Similar to FTD, but focus on dragging your fingers along your side during the recovery.  (Requires a lot of rotation and elbow lift.
Flipper:  At the end of your pull, focus on flipping your hand (think of Flipper the dolphin) so your thumb drags against your hip/thigh. 
Pull:  Place a pull-bouy between your thighs and use arm motion only.  This is often done with paddles, but could be done without. 
Switchover:  Start on one side in a glide position, kick 6 times, recover arm, rotate, and pull to glide on other side.  kick 6 times.  Repeat, repeat, repeat...

2014-01-20 3:40 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Thank you for the info. In fact I do remember most of these drills from way back. I'll change my training plan a bit and add a bit more drills. I'm prone to keep the 200m sets for the moment though. I have some other plans too and will take a look around on the site as well. I also have contact with a local triathlete club and probably will join them starting next week. I live in a bit of luxury situation as there are 3 clubs all next to each other but I chose the one who has more swim training because I feel thats the most important part to have a coach looking at you.

2014-01-20 4:43 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by McFuzz

Kim did a great job answering this question.  I offer a slightly different take on race day. 

Keys to race day success:
1)  Remember you are doing this to have fun.  No matter what, you should be smiling and grinning. 
2)  Your race strategy needs to be consistent with your ACTUAL training. 
3)  Organization is your friend. 
4)  Be gracious.  Thank anyone who helps you with the race. 

These keys often overlap. 

this reminds me of why I have slightly changed my training plan as originally I was doing it for the wrong reason.
I have a good friend that has done this race a few times and based my training around beating his times but I have realised that that's not why I am doing the race. so I am training to how my body feels and I am in it to finish as good as I can.

2014-01-20 6:16 PM

User image

so, I went for a run today. I was using 2 different programs to run the GPS on my Ipod, one wasn't getting enough of a signal but the other did, go figure. Anyway, it wasn't linked directly to my runkeeper account so I entered the miles, time and map manually. The miles I entered by tracing my route on the map were less than the distance the GPS program showed me. I had noticed this before- has anyone else? I was wondeirng why? Is it because people just don't normally run super straight, so they pick up a little bit here and there? Or the mileage via map isn't quite right? Which should I trust?
2014-01-20 6:48 PM

Hi Gang,
a lot of great info for us first timers, thank you!
I'm beginning to think I'm the greenest beginner here.
I have to take everything so slow because I tend to break everything, haha.
I've got my bike up to 7-10 miles this week
but still haven't set foot in the pool
I am running but nothing over 2-3 miles
I have a long way to go before I'm race ready.
2014-01-20 7:52 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Originally posted by [email protected] Hi Gang, a lot of great info for us first timers, thank you! I'm beginning to think I'm the greenest beginner here. I have to take everything so slow because I tend to break everything, haha. I've got my bike up to 7-10 miles this week but still haven't set foot in the pool I am running but nothing over 2-3 miles I have a long way to go before I'm race ready.

Don't be discouraged! We are all at different places in our training and experience. Be proud that you are out there doing anything! Running 2-3 miles is a lot!

2014-01-20 10:02 PM

Elkhorn, Nebraska
Hi all! I would love to join this group. I am a 47 yr old mom to 6 kids, 4 boys still living at home... a sophomore, an 8th grader, a 3rd grader and a 1st grader. My boys keep me extremely busy with their activities and I'm finding it difficult to fit in my own. I work part-time as a teachers assistant at my younger two's elementary. Last July, I had weight loss surgery and have gone from 232 lbs to 162 lbs. Part of my recovery and life goals is to workout more. I have gone hit and miss for awhile, but I decided to sign up for the Women's Sprint Triathlon here as motivation to get in the gym. I currently have a membership to 9Round Fitness Center. It is a circuit training center focused on kickboxing. I really like it but I don't think it's all I need to be ready for the Sprint on June 1st. I am a strong swimmer and am not too worried about that part. I don't own a bike, yet, and am not a very good runner. I'm a great walker, but running, not so much. As of right now, I plan on following the 22 wk training program and starting in at week 3. I am in definite need of some coaching and encouraging. Thanks for the add... assuming I get in. Oh, yeah, my name is Colleen and I live in the Omaha, NE area.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37999 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.