BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2014-06-06 9:18 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Americus, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN
Originally posted by burner2

OMG! I got second place! I raced in the Athena division against three other (much younger) competitors. (I'm 52.) I finished in 1:57:31, almost 31 minutes behind the 25-year-old winner; two minutes ahead of third place, and almost 14 minutes ahead of the fourth place finisher. I beat a 31 year old and a 29 year old!

Swim (1/4 mile): 16:20
T1: 4:10
Bike (10.25 mi): 45:03
T2: 1:39
Run (3.1 mi): 50:19

Compared to the first place finisher, I lost four minutes in the swim, 20 seconds in T1, six minutes on the bike, 23 seconds in T2, and 20 minutes on the run. That’s a great baseline to work from! Woohoo! Go me!

CONGRATS!!! That is so fantastic! There isn't an Athena option next weekend for my first ever sprint tri, but there is one at an event I'm considering for August (we'll see how next weekend goes before I sign up for another one!) I think I'm interested in the August event just to see how I perform against other Athenas.
And I absolutely LOVE your signature line. I think I may have to borrow it. ROCK ON!!!

2014-06-06 9:41 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Thanks. I have been trying to limit my workout to an hour largely due to time management. Don't mind running longer but biking, man that hard to get motivated for. Currently not on a training schedule, but should if I am planning on moving up to try an Olympic. There was actually a really interesting article in Runnersworld about the benefits of only running 5K's. Perhaps it is the same for Sprints. I can walk normal after a race. It doesn't consume all my time training, or a whole day if racing. Less risk of injury. Nate

What is keeping you from getting motivated on the bike?  Is it that you just don't have the time for it? or don't enjoy it? 

If you are bored or just not enjoying it, try finding a group to get in some rides with.  Also headphones and music make my long rides much more enjoyable.  Vary your route.  Doing the same loop or same route can get old.  Try to keep it fresh and challenging.  Even if you can only get in shorter rides, like 30 or 40 minutes, they are worth doing. 

As far as just doing sprints, nothing wrong with that at all.  I know lots of people who's only interest is the sprint distance.  As for me, I started with sprints but felt my swimming would play well at the Olympic distance because the Olympic swim is longer relative to the other distances.  Plus, almost all of my races (this weekend's Tybee Island being the lone exception) I have to travel to.  That means packing up, usually taking a day off from work, travel, hotel expense, etc.  For that much effort I just decided that It wasn't worth my while for a race that is over in an hour or an hour and fifteen.  I'm hoping to get in a 70.3 next year and then may make a decision as to whether I want to concentrate on the Olympic or the 70.3 going forward. 

I don't enjoy riding as much. It takes more coordination. Ie I can't do it at 5 am or 8pm because its dark. I can go directly from work because I have to get my bike first. My area is not very good for riding. Many of the roads are 45-55mph with no shoulder and the drivers have no clue.
When I do ride I feel like I strain my neck and I am constantly fighting hand numbness.

Perhaps if I had my own bike (I have a loaner) and it was fit to me these problems wouldn't exist.
There is a local group that does group rides but they go for distances that are far to long for me at this time.

Nate
2014-06-07 1:19 AM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Originally posted by marriedthepoolguy

CONGRATS!!! That is so fantastic! There isn't an Athena option next weekend for my first ever sprint tri, but there is one at an event I'm considering for August (we'll see how next weekend goes before I sign up for another one!) I think I'm interested in the August event just to see how I perform against other Athenas.
And I absolutely LOVE your signature line. I think I may have to borrow it. ROCK ON!!!

Thank you! LOL, I don’t remember putting that signature line in there, but I’m sure I must have done it after a frustrating phone call with my mother. I know people mean well, but many times, their attempts at “encouragement” are extremely discouraging, demotivating, and set the recipient up for failure, and this is often the case with her. I have lost 50 pounds since March by NOT dieting; my focus has intentionally been on performance and measuring progress with a stopwatch, rather than a scale, as I’ve been using my extremely competitive nature to motivate me. Diets are miserable, painful, and overwhelmingly fail for most people, and they can drag on and on with little—or no—end in sight.

I just started reading the book “Racing Weight” by Matt Fitzgerald, who wrote “beginning endurance athletes often need to change their mind-set before they can fully enjoy the many benefits (including weight loss) of staying involved in their sport over the long term. Too often, they are motivated primarily by a goal to lose weight. Ironically, they will lose more weight if they replace this goal with performance goals and with a focus of simply “getting hooked” on their new sport.” I have certainly found this to be true in my case, and every payday, my entire wardrobe heads down to Goodwill, and I have to replace everything in my closet. I’ve even had to replace my shoes!

I highly recommend “Racing Weight.” It’s a bit technical in places, but he backs everything up with science. It’s a great way to learn how to adjust your eating habits to maximize performance and recovery, while burning calories more efficiently. It's not for people who want to lose weight, but rather for people who want to become better endurance athletes through weight management, although it does contain some weight loss techniques for those who gain weight during the off season or who need to drop a few pounds fast before training in earnest.
2014-06-07 7:41 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Dominion

Thanks. I have been trying to limit my workout to an hour largely due to time management. Don't mind running longer but biking, man that hard to get motivated for. Currently not on a training schedule, but should if I am planning on moving up to try an Olympic. There was actually a really interesting article in Runnersworld about the benefits of only running 5K's. Perhaps it is the same for Sprints. I can walk normal after a race. It doesn't consume all my time training, or a whole day if racing. Less risk of injury. Nate

What is keeping you from getting motivated on the bike?  Is it that you just don't have the time for it? or don't enjoy it? 

If you are bored or just not enjoying it, try finding a group to get in some rides with.  Also headphones and music make my long rides much more enjoyable.  Vary your route.  Doing the same loop or same route can get old.  Try to keep it fresh and challenging.  Even if you can only get in shorter rides, like 30 or 40 minutes, they are worth doing. 

As far as just doing sprints, nothing wrong with that at all.  I know lots of people who's only interest is the sprint distance.  As for me, I started with sprints but felt my swimming would play well at the Olympic distance because the Olympic swim is longer relative to the other distances.  Plus, almost all of my races (this weekend's Tybee Island being the lone exception) I have to travel to.  That means packing up, usually taking a day off from work, travel, hotel expense, etc.  For that much effort I just decided that It wasn't worth my while for a race that is over in an hour or an hour and fifteen.  I'm hoping to get in a 70.3 next year and then may make a decision as to whether I want to concentrate on the Olympic or the 70.3 going forward. 

I don't enjoy riding as much. It takes more coordination. Ie I can't do it at 5 am or 8pm because its dark. I can go directly from work because I have to get my bike first. My area is not very good for riding. Many of the roads are 45-55mph with no shoulder and the drivers have no clue. When I do ride I feel like I strain my neck and I am constantly fighting hand numbness. Perhaps if I had my own bike (I have a loaner) and it was fit to me these problems wouldn't exist. There is a local group that does group rides but they go for distances that are far to long for me at this time. Nate

Maybe try a trainer.  Yes they are boring, and if you don't enjoy riding outside now, you will probably hate riding a trainer, but it would solve problems of darkness and unsafe roads.  You can ride early or ride late at night.  Just put on a movie or plug in the headphones to make the time go by.  It's a great workout.

2014-06-07 4:31 PM
in reply to: whitneydsmith

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Grumpy Grouch 5K Race Report

My official time was 48:15.84, which was just over two minutes faster than the 5K I ran as part of last Saturday’s triathlon. I placed 111 out of a field of 153; much better than last year’s DFL! I held my own until about 4K in, and then I started fading and people started passing me. I still managed to keep up a pretty good tempo, but not as good as I had hoped as I was already tired from working all day.

So, my time’s not great, but it does show a little improvement. Baby steps! I’ll get there.

A new town grouch was also crowned last night.
2014-06-08 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by burner2 Grumpy Grouch 5K Race Report My official time was 48:15.84, which was just over two minutes faster than the 5K I ran as part of last Saturday’s triathlon. I placed 111 out of a field of 153; much better than last year’s DFL! I held my own until about 4K in, and then I started fading and people started passing me. I still managed to keep up a pretty good tempo, but not as good as I had hoped as I was already tired from working all day. So, my time’s not great, but it does show a little improvement. Baby steps! I’ll get there. A new town grouch was also crowned last night.

Nice job Cassandra.  That is not a baby step, that is solid improvement!  Keep at it and you'll be amazed how far you can go and what you can accomplish.  

Working all day, especially if you have to stand or walk a good bit can certainly have a detrimental effect on your race time as well, so you should be proud of your time and your placement.  Well done.

So who gets to be the town grouch? The winner?  or DFL ? lol

2014-06-08 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I managed to hang on for 3rd Age Group in my sprint race today.  (by 4 seconds).

I'll work on getting a full race report up tomorrow.  Been a long day, need a little sleep now. 

2014-06-08 9:16 PM

User image

Any thoughts on a QR Kilo? There is a good package from the LBS

This weeks totals

S: 1h 12m 21s: 3250y - 2 workouts
B: 1h 54m 25s: 32.35m - 2 workouts
R: 1h 18m 9s: 9.15 - 2 workouts

Nate
2014-06-09 7:22 AM

User image

Americus, Georgia

Thank you! LOL, I don’t remember putting that signature line in there, but I’m sure I must have done it after a frustrating phone call with my mother. I know people mean well, but many times, their attempts at “encouragement” are extremely discouraging, demotivating, and set the recipient up for failure, and this is often the case with her. I have lost 50 pounds since March by NOT dieting; my focus has intentionally been on performance and measuring progress with a stopwatch, rather than a scale, as I’ve been using my extremely competitive nature to motivate me. Diets are miserable, painful, and overwhelmingly fail for most people, and they can drag on and on with little—or no—end in sight.

I just started reading the book “Racing Weight” by Matt Fitzgerald, who wrote “beginning endurance athletes often need to change their mind-set before they can fully enjoy the many benefits (including weight loss) of staying involved in their sport over the long term. Too often, they are motivated primarily by a goal to lose weight. Ironically, they will lose more weight if they replace this goal with performance goals and with a focus of simply “getting hooked” on their new sport.” I have certainly found this to be true in my case, and every payday, my entire wardrobe heads down to Goodwill, and I have to replace everything in my closet. I’ve even had to replace my shoes!

I highly recommend “Racing Weight.” It’s a bit technical in places, but he backs everything up with science. It’s a great way to learn how to adjust your eating habits to maximize performance and recovery, while burning calories more efficiently. It's not for people who want to lose weight, but rather for people who want to become better endurance athletes through weight management, although it does contain some weight loss techniques for those who gain weight during the off season or who need to drop a few pounds fast before training in earnest.

I will definitely check out that book! I didn't start working on a sprint tri to lose weight; mostly, I was just bored after we moved from MD to GA and figured, oh, what the hell? I have no friends and nothing better to do. I've been a curvy girl all my life and I'm just fine with my size, shape, etc., though I think losing a little of the Junk in my Trunk would improve my running. I don't weigh myself on a regular basis, but since I started training in February, I've only lost about 3 pounds, but I've dropped a dress size. Go figure.
I absolutely hear you on the dieting; in and of itself, it is pointless and soul-sucking. I'm a yoga junkie and a firm believer in practicing "non-attachment", and dieting is nothing but attachment to labels, ideas, self criticism, etc. But unlike you, I am not competitive. I have done the competitive thing in the past with masters rowing, and I think I burned myself out on it.
In other news, I competed last night in a mock race with a group of folks who are all training for the same sprint tri as me next week. There was about 10 of us. I smoked everyone on the swim and was first out of the water, but ultimately came in last because they are all marathon runners and they kicked my booty. But it was a great experience for me and reinforcement of what I already know: I gotta work on the running. But now I know I can survive next Sunday and achieve my goal of simply crossing the finish line. Woo Hoo!
Rock on everyone and have a great week!!!
2014-06-09 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Not familiar with the Kilo specifically, but I know QR makes good bikes.  My brother rides a QR Caliente.

The number 1 thing about a bike is does it fit?  If it fits, then is it in your budget?, and finally do you like it?  If the answer is yes to all of those questions then I would say go for it if you are happy with the deal.

2014-06-09 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

My race report from this past weekend's Tybee Island sprint is up at my blog link below.  Check it out if you have a minute and feedback is always welcome.  Upon further reflection, it was a great day for me.  This post has fewer pictures but I think a good narrative on my mindset for this race and the sprint finish for the last podium spot. 

On another note, I will be off the grid for a few days.  I'm calling it my "mid-season" break.  I should be back online by Friday night.  Possibly a quick check in Thursday night if I get an opportunity.   Keep up all the good work!!!

2014-06-10 6:26 AM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Not nearly good enough to even think about getting an age group medal, but I managed to finish my first 10K under my goal time. I finished in 59:11. I finally managed to stick to my pre-race game plan. I knew there were several hills in the first mile and I managed to keep my adrenaline rush under control. I hung at the very back of the pack and kept a relaxed pace. On the two bigger hills at the start of the race, I paid special attention to keep my effort level relatively consistent on the way up and used the downhill to my advantage to make up the difference (and hopefully a little more). After that, it was cruise control for the next 3 miles. I had a couple surges when I was feeling it or a particularly good song came on my iPod. The last hill just after the mile 4 marker took a little extra to recover from, but by the time I was down the other side I knew I had to make a push to the finish to get under an hour. At the mile 5 marker, the race to the finish was on and I turned it up a notch. When I got near the mile 6 marker, there was an outside chance I could get under 59 minutes and I kicked in the turbo boosters! I crushed those last three or four tenths of a mile! Sadly, I came in just a little shy of 59:00, but comfortably under my goal time of 1 hour.
2014-06-10 3:18 PM

New user
It's slow in coming but here are the results for my season opening tri - no medals but PR'ed my previous year time by 7 minutes.

Cut time from all disciplines, including transitions. Swim, which is already my best discipline, only 10 seconds but still, moving in the right direction. I think the best aspect was that I was more comfortable throughout. I was tired when it was over but didn't get wobbly legs coming out of the swim or feel like I was on the edge of bonking. I even managed to sprint the last 100 yards or so to come across the finish line neck and neck with another Age Grouper. She edged me out by a fraction of a second for a real photo finish. I don't know that I will ever be able to compete with the gals running 8 minute miles but I'm improving.

Now trying to get motivated to start back with some tough training after a bit of a lighter week. The pop up afternoon summer storms are playing havoc with my biking and giving me an excuse to skip it. Need to get a race on the calendar to give me a kick start.
2014-06-10 3:23 PM

New user
Subject: RE: Monthly totals
Zoned out after the first race of the season but here are May totals:

S: 9.06 mi
B: 233.39 mi
R: 45.28 mi
2014-06-10 9:31 PM
in reply to: #5006084

May I join? Looks like this group is still open! If so, a little about me:

Maura, just turned 35, female
6' 150-155

Experience: nada in triathlon. I was a high school swimmer, but didn't swim competitively after graduation. Seems to be coming back pretty easily, at least. Didn't work out much in my 20s, but stayed in decent shape from a lot of walking (prefer it to driving) and jobs that kept me on my feet. I started running about a year ago, and have done one 5K and one 5 mile race.

I haven't owned a bike in 8 years, but stumbled across a used carbon frame road bike in my size and price range when I decided to try triathlon this year. Biking is my weak spot, although I don't feel like I run enough either. I'm afraid of riding in the dark and on roads, so I don't get out as often as I'd like (have to be at work at 0700). I'm still learning to do things like drink water while I ride, and get into the drops. I get numb fingers like many of you, but I have a neuropathic condition that makes it more of an issue for me. Probably need to spring for a fit, but everything is so expensive!

Personal: I have been married for almost 9 years, and we have one 2.5 year old son. My husband stays home with him currently, but will be starting nursing school this fall. I work as a nurse anesthetist, which means my days start early and my out time varies with the surgical schedule. I also take call, which complicates training, as I have to be at work in 30 min if called in.

Races:
Super sprint tri (300 pool, 7.75 mi, 2 mi) this Saturday for my first race
Sprint tri (500OW/12/5k) Aug 17
Would love to do a HM late fall - there's a local one in Sept, but worried I may not have enough time

I do have a local tri team that I've trained with twice so far, but I can't always make their practices. Hoping to find more encouragement and motivation here!
2014-06-11 6:24 AM

User image

New user

I don't enjoy riding as much. It takes more coordination. Ie I can't do it at 5 am or 8pm because its dark. I can go directly from work because I have to get my bike first. My area is not very good for riding. Many of the roads are 45-55mph with no shoulder and the drivers have no clue.
When I do ride I feel like I strain my neck and I am constantly fighting hand numbness.

Perhaps if I had my own bike (I have a loaner) and it was fit to me these problems wouldn't exist.
There is a local group that does group rides but they go for distances that are far to long for me at this time.

Nate

I don't ride near as much as I should either. Part of it is because I don't enjoy it near as much as running. They're aren't really any groups close by to ride together with. I do have a buddy that will join me every now and then, but for the most part I ride by myself. When I first got my bike I had the neck strain issues as well. I think I ended up adjusting the seat height and just getting more rides in helped alot to get the neck muscles used to riding. The hand numbness isn't so bad anymore after adjusting the seat up a some more. Last year, I was riding my bike before I put new handlebar tape on, ( It had what looked like black electrical tape on it at the time) I was out on a road with cracks and every one sent a big vibration through my hands. I also forgot my bike gloves during this ride and one bump ended up bruising my hand. It took a long time for it to heal and that is also when my hand numbness started up. I don't ride without the gloves now and I bought the handle bar tape that has a little more cushion to it to help absorb some of the bumps in the road. Hope ya can get some rides in. I struggle with it alot myself.

2014-06-11 8:22 PM

User image

Got room for one more?

My name is Helena. I'm 31. 5'9.5.
Married mother to 5 yo boy, 3 yo girl, and a 10 month old girl. I've been saying for years that I wanted to do a triathlon. I was terrified of cycling part because I had convinced myself I was going to get hit by a car. Got over that part and found I love it although I am riding an older bike that is slightly too small for me I think but it's going to have to do. 3 kids in private school/daycare kills my dream bike fund. Lol.
Anyway, I'm a strong runner. I love it ! my favorite distance is the half marathon although I like to torture myself with a marathon every so often.
And then there is swimming. I've recently joined a pool after not having swam a freestyle lap in 15 years. It's coming along though. The first week was trying to remember how to breathe and once I relaxed and got that down my swims have been going well.

I'm going to do an Olympic distance on August 31st. There is a sprint I could do mid July but it may not be in the budget. I've done a duathlon recently and that has been my only multi sport event to date.

I love running and I'm almost feel like I'm cheating on it! It's very hard with three kids, working full time, and trying to keep my house from becoming a garbage dump, to try to get all of these work outs in. I do three 4 or 5 mile runs plus a longer run on the weekend. I know when I really get into my training plan I'm going to have to give up a run or wake up earlier than I already do!

Anyway, glad to be hear and I'm looking forward to being part of this group.
2014-06-12 6:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I've been hoping that getting my own bike, and a bike fit will help with a lot of my issues around cycling. I was initially leaning towards a road bike but I think a TT/Tri bike may help more with the hand numbness. Unfortunately it doesn't change the roads here. I was speaking to a friend who used to do tri's and he was hit almost yearly.

Edited by nrpoulin 2014-06-12 6:26 AM
2014-06-12 7:01 AM
in reply to: kmstig

User image

Americus, Georgia
Originally posted by kmstig

It's slow in coming but here are the results for my season opening tri - no medals but PR'ed my previous year time by 7 minutes.

Cut time from all disciplines, including transitions. Swim, which is already my best discipline, only 10 seconds but still, moving in the right direction. I think the best aspect was that I was more comfortable throughout. I was tired when it was over but didn't get wobbly legs coming out of the swim or feel like I was on the edge of bonking. I even managed to sprint the last 100 yards or so to come across the finish line neck and neck with another Age Grouper. She edged me out by a fraction of a second for a real photo finish. I don't know that I will ever be able to compete with the gals running 8 minute miles but I'm improving.

Now trying to get motivated to start back with some tough training after a bit of a lighter week. The pop up afternoon summer storms are playing havoc with my biking and giving me an excuse to skip it. Need to get a race on the calendar to give me a kick start.

Congrats on your race, Kim! Because you stated having a lighter week after your race, I wondered if there was a "rule of thumb" about how long to take off before begin training for the next one?
I see you are in GA; where are you? I'm in Americus.
2014-06-12 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4996689

Thoughts on workout the day before a race? I'm doing a super sprint Saturday for my first tri ever. I didn't intentionally taper, but work was really busy so I've only gotten 3 workouts in this week. Should I do short and fast? Long and slow? Nothing? Thanks!
2014-06-12 4:01 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

New user
Originally posted by MMW37

Thoughts on workout the day before a race? I'm doing a super sprint Saturday for my first tri ever. I didn't intentionally taper, but work was really busy so I've only gotten 3 workouts in this week. Should I do short and fast? Long and slow? Nothing? Thanks!

I peaked at your training log, and it looks to me like your training quite well. If it was me, I would maybe practice transitions and just make sure everything is ready to go. Make sure your transition bag is set and packed and ready to roll. I personally wouldn't do anything tough tomorrow, but I'm just as new to this as you. Only have 3 tri's under my belt. As they say, the hay is in barn. Ya don't wanna cram for this test. Good luck! Have fun! And enjoy the experience! Ya only have ONE First Triathlon! :D

2014-06-12 7:21 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by MMW37 Thoughts on workout the day before a race? I'm doing a super sprint Saturday for my first tri ever. I didn't intentionally taper, but work was really busy so I've only gotten 3 workouts in this week. Should I do short and fast? Long and slow? Nothing? Thanks!

Maura,

First of all, welcome to the group. Having a strong swim background is always a huge advantage for newcomers to the sport of triathlon. I hope this group can provide you with the encouragement and motivation you need!  Feel free to ask any questions or bring up any topics you would like discussed.

Now to address your specific question.  I have to agree with Scott's advice.  I normally do nothing the day before a race.  Sometimes I feel like I should be doing something and have to remind myself that it's more important to arrive rested and ready than to get in that last workout.  On the rare occasion that I do workout the day before a race, it is a light swim only.  I don't do anything to tax the lower body.

2014-06-12 7:43 PM
in reply to: #5011569

Thanks! My husband and were both just commenting that we feel like a sore throat is coming on, and the toddler had a cold this week. A day off might be just what the doctor ordered. Hope everyone has a good weekend!
2014-06-12 7:44 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Not nearly good enough to even think about getting an age group medal, but I managed to finish my first 10K under my goal time. I finished in 59:11. I finally managed to stick to my pre-race game plan. I knew there were several hills in the first mile and I managed to keep my adrenaline rush under control. I hung at the very back of the pack and kept a relaxed pace. On the two bigger hills at the start of the race, I paid special attention to keep my effort level relatively consistent on the way up and used the downhill to my advantage to make up the difference (and hopefully a little more). After that, it was cruise control for the next 3 miles. I had a couple surges when I was feeling it or a particularly good song came on my iPod. The last hill just after the mile 4 marker took a little extra to recover from, but by the time I was down the other side I knew I had to make a push to the finish to get under an hour. At the mile 5 marker, the race to the finish was on and I turned it up a notch. When I got near the mile 6 marker, there was an outside chance I could get under 59 minutes and I kicked in the turbo boosters! I crushed those last three or four tenths of a mile! Sadly, I came in just a little shy of 59:00, but comfortably under my goal time of 1 hour.

Nice race report!  Great job of keeping that race-start adrenaline under control.  Sounds like you ran a smart race and accomplished your goals.  Going out too fast is a mistake so many people make.  It took me a lot of races before I learned my lesson. Even once I knew better I would still get caught up in that fast start. Now I love starting under control and passing all those people who are gassed a mile or two in.  Good job on pushing that last 4 tenths.  Now it's time to set new goals and get to work making them possible.

2014-06-12 7:54 PM
in reply to: kmstig

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by kmstig It's slow in coming but here are the results for my season opening tri - no medals but PR'ed my previous year time by 7 minutes. Cut time from all disciplines, including transitions. Swim, which is already my best discipline, only 10 seconds but still, moving in the right direction. I think the best aspect was that I was more comfortable throughout. I was tired when it was over but didn't get wobbly legs coming out of the swim or feel like I was on the edge of bonking. I even managed to sprint the last 100 yards or so to come across the finish line neck and neck with another Age Grouper. She edged me out by a fraction of a second for a real photo finish. I don't know that I will ever be able to compete with the gals running 8 minute miles but I'm improving. Now trying to get motivated to start back with some tough training after a bit of a lighter week. The pop up afternoon summer storms are playing havoc with my biking and giving me an excuse to skip it. Need to get a race on the calendar to give me a kick start.

Kim, a 7 minute improvement over last year is solid.  I would be very happy with that, especially since you improved across the board in all 3 disciplines.  This is validation that your training routine is working.  As for the running speed, one thing I've found in this sport (and life in general) is to never say never.  If you stick with it, you will be amazed at what you can accomplish.  Running those 8 minute miles can happen.  It just takes time and work, and a little patience.  Enjoy the journey and don't worry too much about the destination.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly Focus Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40

Started by lutzman
Views: 43829 Posts: 980

2015-01-10 7:42 PM mtsnorider

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51166 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 23, 2010
comments : 0
I want to follow the Winter Maintenance-Run Focus program (8 weeks), but don't know when to start. I also want to do the Intermediate Sprint-12 week program before my first race.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 0
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?