Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2007-01-16 12:22 PM
in reply to: #655863

User image

Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
dustyken - 2007-01-15 10:38 PM

swbkrun - 2007-01-15 7:40 PM

PS, DUSTY I FIGURE IF I QUOTE ENOUGH, I may have post as long as yours!

LOL!!!!! You still got a way to go to become a "Post Hog" like me.

On a training note, I went back to the gym today. First time since 12/27/06. All I did was run on the treadmill. I wanted to see how far I could go. I got to one mile and was like, "No prob." Then came 2. Then I was like, "I have to do 3.1!" Had to keep telling myself, "Don't quit! Don't quit!" I will probably regret it later. The last time I ran that far was my race. I anticipate being sore tomorrow, but I did it! It was an awesome feeling. Now I just have to add a few more miles for my next race: Half Marathon Relay. Thanks again for being a mentor. I look forward to learning a lot from you and everyone here.

Go Dusty. (high five) Glad I got my running in on Sunday when it was 70 something degrees. Now it's 34 (brrrr). Steve, weren't you saying something a while agoabout it being sunny and warm in Texas?

I've got another question for you guys. Can we view each others training logs? If we can, then how do we do it? I just realized this morning I had mine set to private, then I changed my settings. Feel free to poke around and give me suggestions/feedback.

Also, I experienced something this weekend I was unaccumstomed to. I was just ever so slightly sore in my quads and hammies. Not trying to say I'm in outstanding shape or anything, but this is something that typically doesn't happen unless I take a week or two off from weight lifting or running and then dive right back in. Should I be getting sore?

Thanks for any input,

Benson

2007-01-16 12:37 PM
in reply to: #656436

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
DscoNfrno - 2007-01-16 10:22 AM

Steve, weren't you saying something a while agoabout it being sunny and warm in Texas?

I've got another question for you guys. Can we view each others training logs? If we can, then how do we do it? I just realized this morning I had mine set to private, then I changed my settings. Feel free to poke around and give me suggestions/feedback.

Also, I experienced something this weekend I was unaccumstomed to. I was just ever so slightly sore in my quads and hammies. Not trying to say I'm in outstanding shape or anything, but this is something that typically doesn't happen unless I take a week or two off from weight lifting or running and then dive right back in. Should I be getting sore?

Thanks for any input,

Benson

EL NINO' !!!
Yes below each persons "note/response" there is a bunch of options... Profile, Album, etc, then click on Log. You can view each persons workouts.

Being a little sore is not a bad thing. Being REALLY SORE IS. If you are too sore you have to skip a workout that does you NO good, unless it calls for it (long day, speed work, etc).

Edited by swbkrun 2007-01-16 12:49 PM
2007-01-16 1:05 PM
in reply to: #656436

Searcy, AR
DscoNfrno - 2007-01-16 12:22 PM

Benson

Another way to do it is to add everyone to your Training Log. Under the "Quick Links" section on your Training Log page, click on the first icon. This takes you to the page that allows you to set up your goals, preferences and what not. On the right hand column, you have the opportunity to add friends to your training list. Copy and paste everyone's username in this section (you can look up usernames if you have to) and click "Apply" at the bottom. You are then taken back to your Training Log. Scroll down and you will notice that your friends will be displayed in the "Other Blogs" section in the lower right portion of the page. This way you always have everyone on your training logs and don't have to dig through the forum searching for someone. Enjoy!
2007-01-16 3:17 PM
in reply to: #656463

User image

EL NINO' !!!
Yes below each persons "note/response" there is a bunch of options... Profile, Album, etc, then click on Log. You can view each persons workouts.

Being a little sore is not a bad thing. Being REALLY SORE IS. If you are too sore you have to skip a workout that does you NO good, unless it calls for it (long day, speed work, etc).

Thanks Steve. I haven't been really sore except for when I decided to do about 10 trillion calf raises one night. Bad move on my part. Luckily I had a coulpe of swim days lined up after that.
2007-01-17 12:26 AM
in reply to: #645139

User image

Veteran
Canyon, TX
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL
Most of the ice around here has finally melted off so hopefully I can get back to running again. My bike trainer should be here today so I'm planning a good hour spinning in front of the television tonight. Who said you can't lose weight while sitting on your butt in front of the tube?
2007-01-17 6:11 AM
in reply to: #657265

User image

Veteran

Hey Jared,

What trainer did you order? I bought a Kinetic Road Machine in the fall and am using it in my basement office once in a while. It certainly helps give a work out. I will be using this for my training over the next couple of months due to the Canadian cold weather.

2007-01-17 7:54 AM

User image

Subject: Gmap Pedometer
Hey guys. I found this website, and it's my new favorite tool: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ I used it for the first time last night. I went for a run and was all over the place. Instead of driving it out (and sometimes you can't), I used this site to get the distance. I added it to 'My Links' for easy access. Hope it's as helpful to you!
2007-01-17 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Canyon, TX
I got this one.

I'm pumped.
2007-01-17 8:13 AM
in reply to: #657366

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: Gmap Pedometer

Don't ya just love Google?!  It sure beats driving it out! Thanks for that link, Mindy.  USATF has the same tool as well as an index of almost 100,000 routes.  You can find routes for  your local area.  It's pretty to cool to see what other people in your neighborhood / location are running for routes.  Here's the link: http://www.usatf.org/routes/

2007-01-17 8:14 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

Morning all!  Today I commit to not be a train wreck... gotta be more serious about my diet and about being consistent with my routine.  I have wasted too many days pondering and procrastinating.  Its good to work hard and feels good when I do, so I'm just going to do it!  Anybody out there who can give me a kick in the *** once in a while, feel free!!

2007-01-17 9:50 AM

Hey Steve,

Sorry I haven't been on in about a week, I came up with a small case of Mono and have been just entirely sick and exhausted. But this morning and went out and swam 250 yards and I feel pretty much fine except for a little fatigue, but hey that's what swimming does to you. I'll probably go out and get a little bike going later on in the day...

2007-01-17 10:15 AM

User image

Subject: Swimming Question
Hey Steve -- swimming question. Since swimming is my weakest event, I have to take breaks every few laps. Do I count the breaks as part of my training time, or should I just count actual swim? For example, tonight I need to swim for 44 minutes. Is that in the pool for 44 min or actual swimming 44 min?
2007-01-17 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Canyon, TX
I weighed myself this morning and have already lost 4 pounds in the past week! I'm down to 219.5 with a goal weight of 170.
2007-01-17 10:25 AM
in reply to: #657386

User image

Veteran

Mine is on this page http://www.kurtkinetic.com/

If you have a Garmin that you use when running, this site is great:

www.motionbased.com you can upload your runs from the Garmin and map it against a map or satalite view. It will break your run down to splits time, elevation changes and calories. If your Garmin has an HRM, it will include this and map it against your run. My Garmin doesn't have the HRM, but there is still enough on the site to keep you happy analysing lots of information.

2007-01-17 10:43 AM
in reply to: #657622

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Swimming Question
mdelder - 2007-01-17 8:15 AM

Hey Steve -- swimming question. Since swimming is my weakest event, I have to take breaks every few laps. Do I count the breaks as part of my training time, or should I just count actual swim? For example, tonight I need to swim for 44 minutes. Is that in the pool for 44 min or actual swimming 44 min?

Your swim workout should be not based on time, but distance? It should be a workout that says swim 100 yards x 4, 50 kick, 50 pull, etc. This is my guess. I don't think there are workouts that says go swim for 44 minutes. But, I am not sure. If there is more structure than just time, then DO THE WORKOUT, and don't worry about time. If you take longer breaks then, you take longer breaks, and the workout takes you 55 minutes. SO WHAT! Hope this helps. If I am wrong on your workout then I apologize, but hope this makes sense.

If you guys ever want to email me copies of things: workouts, pictures, questions, JOKES! My email address is: [email protected]
2007-01-17 10:45 AM
in reply to: #657392

User image

Pro
tropicfin - 2007-01-17 6:14 AM

Morning all!  Today I commit to not be a train wreck... gotta be more serious about my diet and about being consistent with my routine.  I have wasted too many days pondering and procrastinating.  Its good to work hard and feels good when I do, so I'm just going to do it!  Anybody out there who can give me a kick in the *** once in a while, feel free!!

Just hang out here. This group will keep you motivated!!!!! We will keep you motivated!! NOW GET TO THE GYM! I am going for the 1st time tonight in 2 weeks. I have battled a chest cold and icy roads for a while, and enough is enough. On top of that we are in the process of moving into out new house. CRAZY!

2007-01-17 10:47 AM
in reply to: #657625

User image

Pro
jaredog - 2007-01-17 8:17 AM

I weighed myself this morning and have already lost 4 pounds in the past week! I'm down to 219.5 with a goal weight of 170.

"ROCK THE CATBOX!!

Cashbox?
Kasbah!"

Hopefully it is a healthy weight loss, and not starving yourself! GREAT JOB!!!
2007-01-17 11:21 AM
in reply to: #657547

User image

Pro
Tconfrombhs3242 - 2007-01-17 7:50 AM

Hey Steve,

Sorry I haven't been on in about a week, I came up with a small case of Mono and have been just entirely sick and exhausted. But this morning and went out and swam 250 yards and I feel pretty much fine except for a little fatigue, but hey that's what swimming does to you. I'll probably go out and get a little bike going later on in the day...

Glad to hear that you are feeling a little better. That will knock the wind out of your sails!!!!
2007-01-17 12:32 PM
in reply to: #657622

User image

Subject: RE: Swimming Question
mdelder - 2007-01-17 10:15 AM

I'm using the 16 week 2x balanced training program from this website and it uses times rather than distances as well. The swim has been extremely difficult for me, but what I've been doing is swimming a while then catching my breath off the clock. Last night, for instance, I swam for about 12 minutes, caught my breath, and swam for another 12. I think this is the only way to keep from cheating yourself out of some distance.

Hope this helps.

Benson
2007-01-17 12:39 PM

Searcy, AR
I agree. If you are training against a clock, you will be more motivated to keep swimming and build up your endurance. I you count the "rest" time as part of the total "swim" time, I think you might be short changing yourself. Just extend the workout a little bit. If you can't swim for 44 minutes all at once, don't worry, not many people can. Take it easy and build up to it.
2007-01-17 1:30 PM

User image

I'm also doing the 2x Balanced Olympic training also, Benson, and it's by time. I would appreciate actual distances instead and not worry about time. From the '16 Week Olympic - 2x Balanced' workout page it says for the long swim:
"Endurance - swim a straight 500, mixing whatever strokes in with your freestyle to finish, get your time, this will be your base for long workouts, as you build endurance this time should decrease (ex. 3 x 500 matching your base time each swim)." Guess I'll start with that.

2007-01-17 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
I am planning on using the 16 Week Olympic - Swim Focus plan from this site (the free one) and it is in time (by minutes too). My swim is the area I need to focus as it is my problem area (well slower than the other two which are that fast but, I'm more comfortable on the run and the bike). After my first few sessions (next week), I will try and convert the times to distances (i.e. number of laps of the pool etc). I have a computed on the bike, so can easily tell how distance I have done in the time frame. My last time on the bike (a week ago), I did about 10k in 20 minutes (not too bad I think??).
2007-01-17 2:01 PM

User image

Beaverton, Oregon
Subject: Swimming
I don't understand something. I consider myself an endurance athlete, so for the swim, in theory, I should just concentrate on distance, not time. At least at first.
I'm not too embarrassed to admit that I cannot even swim back-to-back 50's w/o gasping for breath. So I guess I need to develop a breathing strategy? I've seen other, better swimmers breath every 3rd stroke: they breath on the right stroke, then next time on the left. I can do this for a while, but many times feel the need to breath on every right-hand stroke. Even I know this isn't right. Further I've read of swimmers who can swim comfortably all day long - like they are going for walk. So, is this a result of excellent cardio endurance, or just simply an easy breathing strategy? I'd sure like to increase my pool time and efficiency.

THX, Paul

Edited by phanders 2007-01-17 2:11 PM
2007-01-17 2:46 PM

Searcy, AR
You have to do whatever feels comfortable to you. I breathe in on every left stroke. I release the breath through my nose in the water so that my next left stroke I can breathe in as much air as possible. I'm not saying it is the perfect method, but it works for me. When I use this technique, I can usually swim for quite a while. I used to swim a mile a day using this technique. It would take me about 32 minutes, but I always felt that I could keep going. Don't get me wrong, you'll be out of breath at the end of your workout, but it makes it bearable. Once again, at least for me, it does. To each his own.

Edited by dustyken 2007-01-17 3:07 PM
2007-01-17 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran

Last weekend I bought two books:

Total Immersion (swimming technique book) by Terry Laughlin

The Triathletes training bible by Joe Friel

I have just started reading the Total Immersion one and it sounds interesting. About using technique to "swim like the fishes". I'll let you all know how it works out and if I can imprve my technique during my training.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 21