Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-02-23 8:50 AM
in reply to: #700197

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Subject: RE: Robmw2's Group--Full
Yes - the trainer has power readout. It's a Tacx T1670 Basic Excel.

The power is calculated from body weight, speed and cadence.

Do you have a beginners program for me? Or just some hints on how to get most out of my training?

Regards
Hans

2007-02-23 9:33 AM
in reply to: #669112

User image

Hans I am just starting to use power. Bought a power tap hub, but have not been having technical problems with it. I have done a bunch of research on training with power and look forward to starting. We can exchange what we know and hopefully we can both improve. Check out the site biketechreview.com. It has some good information on power. The book training with power is also a good resource. Post your power data on your log and I will chekc it out. I will post my power data on my log when I get the power meter working. Should be fun. Have a good training weekend.
Robert
2007-02-23 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Hans,

Are you looking for a training program on how to use your power meters or an actual triathlong training program.
I purchased a training program for an Olympic distance race that I would be happy to share.
It doesn't have anything specific about training in low tempertures or blizzards but I'm sure you could make some adjustments to suit your training style.
2007-02-25 2:14 PM

User image

Hope everyone had a good weekend. Mandi you are up! Good luck with the marathon. Make sure and post a race report. Look forward to hear how it went. Hope everyone else is doing well.
2007-02-26 8:28 AM
in reply to: #700777

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Steve

I'm not so hard core anymore. I didn’t run in the blizzard this time.

Thank you for your offer on sharing your program. I train mostly with my normal running program, due to my participation in Hamburg marathon. The training guidance I cloud use, was regarding biking on my home trainer. For now I just take some time on the trainer, to get used to sitting on the bike. I did find some programs at Tacx’s homepage.

Regards
Hans
2007-02-26 8:46 AM
in reply to: #700455

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Robert

I'll post my power readings as well. Hadn’t had a chance to test the power function on the trainer, it can maintain a steady power, by regulating to load. But for the time being, I will just do some time in the saddle.

Regards
Hans

2007-02-26 8:02 PM
in reply to: #702982

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm official!!

Registration opened today for the DanskinTri in Orlando, and I'm all set.

Yes, I do get excited about the small stuff

2007-02-27 5:46 AM

User image

Congrats Mandi! You are going to have a great year.
2007-02-28 5:15 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Way to go Mandi. I hear the pool calling your name!!!
2007-02-28 5:34 AM

HI! I'm still here. Been traveling a lot for work, so have not had time to do personal email stuff. Although, I did start a blog. After checking out the triathlongeek.com link Steve sent out, I got hooked on reading all of the personal stories about people participating in triathlons - they are so inspiring! I ended up on a blogspot and liked it so much that I created my own! Just started, so not a lot there, but check it out and let me know what you think! http://erica-goingtotri.blogspot.com/

Training is going well. I managed to work out almost every day that I was traveling for work and am getting better about the diet, but definitely need a more structured approach - it takes a LOT of discipline! I also created a spreadsheet for my girlfriends and I to keep track of our workouts, so hopefully we can help each other out. I find the training log on this site a bit overkill for my needs, so I'll just post whether or not I met my training goal for the week.

Sounds like you all are well into your training programs and doing a good job - keep up the good work! My first mini-tri is next wknd. It's at the YMCA in Denver and it's a 20 min swim/20 min stationary bike ride/20 min run on the treadmill. Thought it would be a good intro to the sport! I've also signed up for the Danskin tri and need to sign up for a local one in June.

Have a great rest of the week!
2007-02-28 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Hi There
As you, Robert and Mandi, are from Florida, I think you are the right persons to address this to.

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to Florida in 2008. She has lived in Miami in 10 years, but came back to Denmark 9 years ago. It’s time to visit her old friends again and she thinks the best time is to go in May.
My first thought was – get a new bike and do my first ½ Ironman.
I see that there is the Florida 70.3 in the Disney resort.
Do you have any information/experience on this or other events in May?
My biggest fear is not the distance, but the heat, especially on the run. I could plan to have some weeks in Florida before the event, to get acclimated.
I will have to train all winter and spring here in Denmark and then do the race in totally different temperature. This scares me a bit! How is the weather in May in Florida?
Regarding the bike I will try to get a new tri bike in Florida, as bikes are cheaper in the US. There should be no problems getting it back to Denmark (besides from warranty). I will have to find a bike shop in the Miami area, as this is where our trip is starting.
This would be “a once in a life time” to combine a family vacation with a ½ Ironman in the US, so I’m very focused on this.
We will travel with our two kids, 7 and 10, and of course visit Disney World, among others.

Any info/help is appreciated

Best regards
Hans

2007-02-28 4:35 PM

User image

Hans
I live in Orlando and have done the Disney race one time. You can be sure that it will be in the 90's and humid. There is minimal shade on the run course. It will be HOT!!! Other than the temp the course is fast and easy. The swim is in a clean lake on Disney property, some mild rollers on the bike course otherwise flat as a pancake. If you don't mind the heat this race is great. I always thought this would be a great race to travel to so the families of the people racing can have a good time. You could be on Disney property for a few days and keep the family entertained. Go for it. I'll even come out and watch, might even do this race in 2008. If you have any specific questions just ask. Be more than happy to help you out.
Robert
2007-02-28 4:41 PM

User image

Erica good luck next weekend. Make sure and post a race reports for us. Enjoy the race. I will check out your blog in the morning when I have some more time. Good job on being consistent with your training.
Robert
2007-02-28 5:29 PM
in reply to: #706802

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Hans--I can tell you that Florida is really HOT in May. As for doing a 1/2 IM in Florida in May, I'll have to leave that info to Rob!

Erica--I didn't realize you lived in Colorado. I got married in Durango, CO, and I think it is by far the most beautiful state I've been in! I love living in Florida, but the scenery in Colorado is unbelievable. I lived in New Mexico for a year, and it was pretty too, but I like to refer to it as "a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there." If it didn't snow in Colorado, I could spent the rest of my life in Uray or Durango.
2007-02-28 8:10 PM
in reply to: #706857

Hi Mandi! Durango is very nice! Lots of great mountain biking down there :-) Colorado is beautiful, but I get sick of the cold/snow as well. Very ready for summer right now! It snowed again today.
2007-03-01 6:40 AM

User image

Erica
Loved the blog. You have some great pictures on there. I would be a hardcore mountain biker if I lived somewhere like that. I also like to watch Lost/24. That is about all the TV I can handle. Keep up the training and good luck at your race.
Robert

2007-03-01 8:11 PM
in reply to: #707273

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Believe it or not, there are actually a lot of nice places in my area to go mountain biking.

Of course, there aren't any mountains, and Florida isn't very hilly, but I've fallen off my bike enough to know that there are some nice elevation changes!
2007-03-02 2:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Hi Mandi

It’s getting close now! I wish you the best of luck in your first marathon. It’s a big thing, which you will always remember.
Words of friendly advice, stick to your plan, and do not try to experiment with new stuff at this time. Eat what you planned to, hydrate well the day before. And if thing gets tough, remember to use your most powerful resource – your brain, think positive and I’m sure that you will succeed.

We are looking forward to read your race report

Best wishes, good luck and break a leg
Hans
2007-03-02 4:43 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Good morning all,

Erica great blog. Keep it up.

Mandi, the big day is almost here. I'll give you my one piece of advice. You should somehow write your name and 1st timer on your shirt. As you run past the crowds they will all call your name. It's a great boost during the race.

I had a great 6 mile run yesterday. I started out at the beginning of the year running only by heart rate and distance. Previously I ran based on pace and distance. I have a Garmin 301 which gives me both. I read a lot about training in Heart Rate Zones and decided to give it a try. At the beginning of the year when I ran in Zone 1 I was doing about 11:30 miles. I felt that I was almost crawling. Yesterday in the same HR Zone Zone I did 6 miles at 9:57 pace. My resting HR is also getting lower. It started out around 66-69 in the morning. It's now down to around 55-57. So, I'm now able to go faster and longer using the same effort. I would like to get a Lactate Threshold test done put it's pretty pricey. Has anyone else had any fitness testing done (LT, VO2 Max, Base Met, etc)?
2007-03-02 5:29 AM

User image

Good luck Mandi. Very good advice from everyone. My number one rule for tri's, Don't go to hard on the bike. Can't wait to hear how it goes.
Steve
Use your garmin when you do a 5K race and your average HR for the race will be very close to your LT. You LT changes with training so save the money and test yourself on a regular basis.
2007-03-02 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Thanks for the advice. I have a 5K next weekend so I'll check it out the results.

If all goes well I might have to consider that Disney HIM with Hans next year.

2007-03-02 1:07 PM

User image

Steve to get a good number you need to go all out for the whole 5K. Good luck it's going to hurt
2007-03-02 4:25 PM
in reply to: #709233

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Thanks for all the well wishes!!

I'll let you know how it goes

Mandi
2007-03-04 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Mandi,

Great job finishing the marathon today. You should be very proud. I looked up the results and it looks like you had a rough 2nd half. I commend you with sticking with the race and finishing.
Congratulations!!!
2007-03-05 5:19 AM

User image

Mandi,
Good job. Also checked out your results last night. You did great!
Robert
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robmw2's Group--Full Rss Feed  

of 13