User image

Subject: Robmw2's Group--Full
Group Races 2007

02/18/07-Gasprilla ½ Marathon (Mandi)
03/04/07-Sarasota Marathon (Mandi)
03/10/07-Sprint Tri(Erica)
03/17/07-St. Patrick’s 5K run(Erica)
03/18/07-Taulov 1/2 marathon (Hans)
04/01/07-Cherry Blossom 10mile run (Steve)
04/29/07-Hamburg Marathon (Hans)
05/06/07-Fladbro run 10.4Km (Hans)
05/09/07-Intersport 10Km run (Hans)
05/15/07-Danskin Tri-1st (Mandi)
05/20/07-Columbia Tri-Olympic (Steve)
06/26/07-Summer Run 8Km (Hans)
06/17/07-DM Olympic Tri (Hans)
06/24/07- Ironman Couer d’Alene (Robert)
07/15/07-Danskin Tri (Erica)
08/05/07-Aahus 1900 1/2 Marathon (Hans)
08/08/07-Tri for a Cure (Erica)
08/12/07-Aabenraa Olympic Tri (Hans)
08/14/07-DHL Relay (5x5Km) 5Km
09/02/07-Marselis run 12Km (Hans)
09/09/07-Viborg City Marathon (Hans)
10/07/07-Zig Zag Run ("hill climb") 9.75Km(Hans)
10/21/07-Vejle 1/2 Marathon (Hans)
11/04/07- New York City Marathon (Mandi)

If any of these dates are incorrect or you would like to add some races that you are scheduled PM me and I will add them.

I only added races you all confirmed you are doing.

Name: Robmw2/Robert

Story: Have been participating in triathlon for ~10yrs. I am a Physical Therapist and wanted to find a sport that I could do for a lifetime with low injury risk. Love racing and training.

Family Status: Married with 2 children(6yr old and 3 yr old)

Current training: Pretty much train to some degree year round and get much more structured when race season comes around. So far for 2007 will be doing IM CDA and if work allows will do the Great Floridian full.

Last years races: Just training last year, took it off from racing at families request after IM Florida in 2005. Weight loss: Pretty much just try to keep myself within a 5 lb window between on/off season.

Edited by robmw2 2007-02-05 5:15 AM

2007-01-26 4:03 PM
in reply to: #669112

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Subject: RE: Robmw2's Group-Open
I would like to join your mentor group.

I would like to train for a triathlon in Orlando in May, however, I am currently training for my first marathon on March 4th, 2007.

Should I wait to try to join a group???

Mandi
2007-01-26 4:12 PM

User image

Mandi what length of tri are you looking at in may? Will that be your 1st marathon? Feel free to join up if you want. You don't have to commit to race.

Edited by robmw2 2007-01-26 4:39 PM
2007-01-26 4:45 PM
in reply to: #669309

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm running the Sarasota Marathon in Florida (I live in the Tampa area), and I'm hoping to train for the Danskin Triathlon at Disney on May 13th. It's a sprint--.25M swim, 9M bike, and 2M run. I can already handle the bike and the run, not so sure about the swim, and certainly not sure that I can do all three back to back.

My ultimate goal is to do a half ironman. The Danskin Triathlon just happens to coincide with my graduation from my master's program, and I thought it would be a fitting first-timer's goal. Finish grad school, do a triathlon I also have a very busy and high-stress job, and I find that being in training does WONDERS for my sanity.
2007-01-26 5:16 PM
in reply to: #669343

User image

Mandi some coaches would say not to do a race that soon after a marathon. I would suggest that if you were going to do a race, danskin in orlando is a perfect race to do. I live in Orando and have been to that race to see one of the people I have coached. The race is well done and not stressful. Your run base will be fine from the marathon and if the cycling is no problem for you this will be perfect. Post marathon spend the majority of your training time on the swim and bike. This will not only get you ready for the swim, but be a great way to recover from the marathon. Just make the race a good training day and enjoy it. No pressure!! This will be a great way to do your first triathlon. From a pure physical standpoint the race will be easy compared to the marathon. The problem you see with most 1st timers is trouble swimming with large amounts of people. Make sure and practice this, the swim starts can be crazy, once you get out of the water the rest will be easy for you. Congrats on finishing school and starting tri's . If you have any specific training questions feel free to ask.
2007-01-27 9:50 AM
in reply to: #669365

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I grew up in Altamonte Springs (graduated from Lake Brantley HS), how funny that I happened to choose someone right around the corner!

Can you explain how the mentoring group process works? Is it just a forum to ask questions or is there a formal process involved through the website?

2007-01-27 10:47 AM

User image

Mandi
You can just post a question or comment on the this thread or you can send me question or comment through the private message on this site. I will add you to my training log and check out your training to see how it is coming. I have been doing this a long time and have learned a lot of lessons the hard way, hopefully I can keep you from having to do the same. From high school on I grew up in the forest city/altamonte area. I went to school as Forest Lake Academy a loooong time ago. I currently live in Apopka(Errol estates). Tell me about your running background. How many marathon's have you done?
2007-01-27 11:41 AM
in reply to: #669663

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
My longest run to date is 20 miles last weekend. I have been running for about 4 years (I'm 26 years old), and when I started training for this marathon, I had done about 9 or 10 5K's and 2 10K's and 1 15K. I irritated my IT band while running the 15K that I was VERY undertrained for. I had a hell of a time with the IT injury, couldn't run more than 20 yards without extreme pain, and had a super-unsupportive orthopedic doc who saw me for 5 minutes, said "yep, ITBS" and told me to take advil before I run. Instead, I took 2 months off from exercising, gradually built up to being able to run again, and started training for a marathon. To get back into running safely, I joined a Jeff Galloway marathon training group here in Tampa. If you're not familiar with Galloway's methods--he advocates a run/walk approach to the marathon distance. I only use his training methods during the long Saturday run. During the week, I run 30-45 minutes without the walk breaks. It's been great for me, it allowed me to build up endurance and strength without re-injuring myself. Injury sucks and it can be very detrimental to self-esteem and self-confidence...especially for someone like me who hardly considers herself an athlete in the first place!!

March 4th will be the first marathon, and so far, I've been able to get there without any kind of injury, and rarely even any soreness after the 14+ mile runs.

The main reason why I would like to start doing triathlons is because of the training. I really like the idea of constant cross training, and that it's a sport that encompasses the both the upper body and the lower body. I guess, anatomically, running uses the upper body too, but I like some of the strength training that is involved for swimmers. My husband has an MS in health and kinesiology, so he's really helpful with some of the strength training and stretching aspects.
2007-01-27 6:38 PM

User image

Mandi
I hate to break this to you, but you are a athlete Good job on overcoming the ITB problem. You did the right thing by taking the time off. It sounds like you are well on you way to a great marathon. You picked a good sport to transition into, triathlon is a great way to cross train and challenge yourself.
Happy training.
2007-01-27 8:45 PM

hi! I would like to join your group if you have time for one more! I applaud you (the moderators) for volunteering your time and expertise - that is wonderful!! I am a newbie to the sport. I wanted to do one last year, but chickened out at the last minute. I work out regularly and love to road bike/mountain bike. This year, I have solicited the help of 3 girl friends to do a sprint tri and told people that I am doing it, so now I'm more committed. Thinking about hiring a personal trainer as well. There are so many training options out there, it becomes overwhelming.

My story: I love to work out, but I also love to eat! I have struggled w/about 20 lbs over the last 10 years, and although I work out 4-6 times per week, cannot seem to get the diet part under control to make the workouts make a difference. I have recently read the "Abs diet" and am trying that as a workout plan/diet for now in preparation for starting a sprint tri plan. Any diet advice that would help me see the results of my workouts? I am 34 and decided to do a triathlon because I like the idea of cross-training and I feel it is a last ditch effort to finally lose weight/get in shape before trying to get pregnant in the next year.

Thanks for the advice!!
2007-01-28 7:14 AM

User image

Would be glad to help out. It sounds like you have the hard part done(deciding to take care or yourself). I think that most people struggle with the diet side of things. From my experience the most helpful thing was learning to eat right and why. If you like to read there is a great book by Nancy Clark "The sports nutrition guidebook". She makes things very simple and will help you understand how to eat right. The book is geared toward the athlete, but applies to everyone. There are no gimicks or sales pitches in the book just good hard facts. I applaud your drive to start a new sport. Triathlon has been good to me in many ways and hope you will find it does the same for you, plus you will need to be fit to keep up with the kids . Feel free to contact me here in the forum or message. I will add you to my training log and will make sure and look in on you.
Happy training!

2007-01-28 3:05 PM

New user

I was wondering if I could join this mentor program. Your group has an opening. I am wanting to try my first triatholon this spring. The only races I have participated in are 4 5k races. Would you be interested in mentoring me?
2007-01-28 6:45 PM

User image

Would love to help. Tell us all a little about yourself and what length of race you are looking to do.
2007-01-28 7:10 PM
in reply to: #670500

User image

Regular
Tampa Bay Area, FL
How exciting, more folks to talk to!

Looking forward to training with you guys

Mandi
2007-01-28 7:52 PM
in reply to: #670500

New user

It is just me again. I was wondering if your mentor group still has openings. If yes, do you think you would be able to start me off in the right direction and mentor me?
2007-01-28 7:54 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Hey Guys,

I would like to join the group. I don't have time to write a bio right now but I can have one up before tomorrow.
Quickly, I am 42 near Baltimore training for my first tri in May. It's the Columbia Triathlon which is an Olympic Distance.

Thanks,

2007-01-28 7:54 PM
in reply to: #670667

New user

Thank you for being willing to help me. There is a tri on April 15th that I would like to try. You swim 500, bike 12, and run 3. It is an indoor one. What do you think?
2007-01-28 8:03 PM
in reply to: #670723

New user

A little about myself,

I am 36. I started exercising passionately (at times I do tend to sluff off.) I weight train roughly three times a week. I run about 3 and a half miles on the treadmill 4-5 days a week. My real passion is roller-blading. I could roller-blade for 2 hours every day. The weather does not permit me to roller-blade in the late fall until the end of spring. That period of time is when I run on the treadmill. I do run out-doors at times too. I wanted to try tris last year but did not really know how to train and failed to investigate and learn. I need to vary my exercise program and develop a few new goals, so I thought this would be a great goal. I too tend to struggle with the whole nutrition thing. I am rather petite and can not eat much or I gain weight. What exercise plan do you think I should start with and is April too soon?
2007-01-28 8:09 PM
in reply to: #670721

New user

Welcome to the new group. It is my first day too. The groups seem to fill up fast so there must be a lot of people doing this
2007-01-29 3:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Randers, Denmark
Hi Robert

I would like to join your group. Great idea with this mentor project.
I hope this will give us beginners a jump-start.

My name is Hans; I’m 40 and live in Denmark, Europe. I started running two years ago, in March 2005. I started from scratch! Zero - nada fitness! Wasn’t able to run 2 miles. 6 months later I did my first 1/2 marathon, 6 months after that - my first full marathon in Hamburg, Germany.

Right now I’m training for Hamburg marathon in April. Just bought a tri bike, and a home trainer. This time of year we have snow and ice in Denmark.

My goals are to get started in triathlon, and do a sprint/olympic in the summer.

I have absolutely no experience in cycling and swimming. My brother is an old competition swimmer, so I expect him to teach me to crawl correctly.

Best regards from Denmark
Hans Eriksen

2007-01-29 5:28 AM

User image

First off everyone welcome! Why don’t we go ahead and close of the group so we can keep it manageable. As is stands we currently have mlbwalk, eroberts, trifind, SCamp07 & DDTech. From reading all of the bio’s it sounds like we have a nice range of people. I will personally try to address each of your questions, but everyone else feel free to chime in with your experience. It sounds as though we have some good runners in the bunch! One thing that I would suggest is that all of you use the training log portion of the site. It is a great motivator for you and will allow the others to see how you are doing. Remember we are all here to help each other out.
Thanks
Robert

2007-01-29 5:40 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Robmw2's Group--Full
Kelly,
Can you swim? That would be my first question for you. I don't think april would be to soon if you feel comfortable with the swimming. That is a nice distance to start with and from a physical standpoint should be no problem with your exercise background. Just use it as a learning experience. What you will find out is there is a lot to learn!
2007-01-29 5:48 AM

User image

Steve welcome aboard! Congrats of taking the plunge to the Olympic distance. That is a great distance race. At this distance you do need to make sure you have some specific training under your belt or it can become unpleasant. Look forward to you putting your bio up. To all your northerners I will bow down, how you can get out and ride in that cold weather is beyond me.
Happy cold training
2007-01-29 5:57 AM

User image

Hans welcome. Wow you have some motivation my friend. Good job on the marathon. It is tough in mid life to pick up and hit it like you are. I am sure with motivation like that you will do very well in triathlon. Make sure and hit your brother up for some swimming tips. The swim is all about technique and if you can learn it right from the start you will save yourself a lot of time down the road. From the sounds of the weather you better learn to love that trainer. The good part about the trainer is that it is tougher both physically and mentally. If you can handle the trainer you can do anything!
Happy cold training!
2007-01-29 6:46 AM
in reply to: #670956

New user

I love to swim as well. I don't get tired when I swim either. But.. not a big fan of swimming in lakes. I think that will be difficult. What exercise log should I start with do you think?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robmw2's Group--Full Rss Feed  

of 13